About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a human capital management solution that's designed using web-based modular technology and a dedicated service center to help meet the HR needs of employers of any size and industry. With a single login, users can...

4.1
3.9

Browse Paychex Flex Reviews

1,345 of 1,345 reviews
Tony
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 31/07/2022

Top-Notch Service

Pros

I like the ability to log in and do what I need to do when it pertains to employee payroll activities. I also love the features that are offered to the employees by allowing them to check and edit information when they need to.

Cons

It is a little pricey compared to some. I don't have many negative comments about the service, but it can be difficult to reach customer service after hours.

Maz Roselyn

Reviewed on 19/01/2023

Paychex Flex: A Review of its Features and Limitations

Paychex Flex is a great option for small to medium-sized businesses looking for a comprehensive payroll and HR solution. Its accurate payroll processing, automated tax filing, and strong customer support make it a reliable choice for businesses. However, it can be costly and has limited customization options which may not be suitable for all businesses. Additionally, it has limited integration options which may not be ideal for businesses that use multiple software.

Pros

User-friendly interface: The software is easy to navigate and has a clean, intuitive design.Comprehensive payroll and HR solution: The software offers a wide range of features that make it easy to manage payroll, HR, and benefits all in one place.Accurate payroll processing: The software is known for its accurate payroll processing and compliance with state and federal regulations.Automated tax filing: The software automatically files taxes, saving businesses time and reducing the risk of errors.Strong customer support: Paychex is known for its strong customer support and assistance with compliance and regulatory issues.

Cons

Cost: The software can be costly, especially for businesses with a large number of employees.Limited customization options: The software has limited customization options, making it difficult to tailor the software to specific business needs.Limited integrations: The software only integrates with a limited number of third-party software.

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Absolutely Terrible

Pros

I like that I won't have to deal with it anymore.

Cons

Stay away. Constant restructuring, poorly trained associates and customer service reps. Try one of the many other payroll services.

Top Paychex Flex Alternatives

Jessica
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

User Friendly

I love that Paychex Flex is very user friendly.

Pros

I use Paychex Flex to clock in and out daily, check my time card, request time off and for retreiving an W2. I love that this portal is very user friendly. Nothing is hidden. You can easily find what you are looking for using the tabs on the side. You can also customize your home screen to display what you are needed. As soon as I login in I'm able to clock in and out, view how many hours of PTO I have as well as paystubs.

Cons

I would improve being able to have more widgets in the home screen so you are able to see your time card and attendance right on your home screen. It would be easier to track.

Josh
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 17/01/2023

Paychex Flex is a great option for your companies needs!

I would recommend it to everyone in need and looking.

Pros

Paychex Flex is what our company switched to in order to have a better payroll experience and I can't say one bad thing about it. The transition was seamless and easy to do.

Cons

At the moment, even in the years of use, we have had no issues!

Dion

Reviewed on 06/12/2022

Convenient payroll program

I was able to be up and running right away.

Pros

It is very simple to use and can be accessed via cellphones and tablets as well as desktop.

Cons

There are no deficits so far. The staff has also not reported any difficulties and tech services is responsive.

Jeff
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 11/01/2023

Time keeping software

Good. It is pretty user friendly as far as navigation and information that it tracks and is available.

Pros

Tracking PTO / Vacation and approving. Easy to navigate to the different areas of the software.Accurate time stamps. I like the custom reports ability.

Cons

The biometric timeclocks are touch and go as far as operating.

Ziad
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

Paychex Flex For all

Pros

Ease of preparation and implementation, for example, one of the important features within this is that employees have the ability to access payroll information for each employee only, and I love this portal. It is very easy to use. Nothing is hidden. Easily find what you are looking for using the tabs on the side

Cons

It is easy to use as an employee and the ability to log in and out is very simple. There is another advantage also that everything inside it works very smoothly, and my experience with it is that it is not the best that I have seen for my work, although it is certainly appropriate

Jalacia
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 27/12/2022

My go to time tracker

My overall experince with this app is it keeps me up to date with the information i need the most.

Pros

The pros of this app is the time keeping with vacation and sick time to use.

Cons

I least like about the app is it saving each pdf to my phone when I'm searching for one.

Heejin
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 07/12/2022

Gold standard (except for a few hiccups)

Used at nearly every organization I've worked with for timesheets and pay. Seamless, transparent, and easy!

Pros

Easiest way for employees to track paychecks, vacation, sick days, and tax forms all in one place.

Cons

Employers have to be careful to ensure that the settings are set up correctly. One time, my timesheet did not count my paid vacation and underpaid me for that period. It was simple to fix, but we're not really sure what happened. It has not happened again but lowered my trust in the software.

Cody
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Streamlined and Simplified Payroll Processing and Ancillary HR Services

Thus far, the experience has been positive and meets all needs of the company. Tax compliance, W-2s, time keeping, and benefits admin all went smoothly through a full annual cycle. The customer service response times are within a reasonable range, and the mobile app surprisingly is very useful due to the simplicity of the overall platform. Employees can also self-serve make a certain number of changes to things like addresses or banking info without the need for an HR team member to service such requests.

Pros

The ease of onboarding and implementation (compared to ADP, for example), as well as the streamlined processes that allow for staff who may not be payroll professionals to accurately run payroll & benefits to a high degree of efficiency.

Cons

The functionality for contractors isn't as great as some other providers I've used in the past (PayReel, for instance). Additionally, the level of sophistication for tax issue or researching problems from state notices, etc. isn't the best I've seen though it is certainly adequate.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Cheaper and more streamlined solution for a smaller company that may not require dedicated payroll teams and a very high level of white-glove service.

Dayforce HCM

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Presented the clearest and best use case for a small to mid-size company which a mix of hourly and salaried staff. Also not having a dedicated payroll expert on the team necessitated a platform that is easy to use and does not have a steep learning curve (ADP, for instance).
Terri
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Paychex Flex Great for small organizations

The overall experience has been positive.

Pros

The time tracking feature is helpful to small companies who use the "honor" system as their time tracker

Cons

I think the software would benefit by being a little more user friendly

Paycom

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Time tracker, benefits

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paycom didn't return our requests to learn about their product.
Cristiano

Reviewed on 08/12/2021

Simple payroll & employee management system, ideal for small businesses.

If you don't need accurate time clock functionality, Paychex Flex is a great way to have a payroll processing solution.

Pros

The ease of use is the key selling point for Paychex Flex. As a small business owner with little to no HR/Accounting experience, Paychex made payroll and employee management simple and easy.

Cons

Their employee app and time/attendance functionality is terrible. Time clocks were never accurate, difficult to correct, and is the reason we switched providers.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Price and ease of implementation. That being said, we have switched to ADP Workforce now after 2 years with Paychex

Reviewed on 26/02/2022

Way better services out there for cheaper prices

Do not rely on them to let you know by hiring an employee in another state, you are subject to any additional state/local taxes outside of income tax and unemployment tax. We didn't know we were required to have disability insurance & paid family leave insurance for hiring an employee in NY. I guess I can't blame Paychex because technically it's not a tax but because we began payroll in NY, it required us to carry it. I'm more mad about the fact that it is optional to withhold a small portion of the employees wages for disability insurance or the employer can cover the whole cost. Paychex just started withholding the max portion from the employee without ever saying a word to us. So 1.) they knew we were subject to it and didn't bother to say anything and 2.) they started an optional withholding from employee checks without ever having us sign off on it. They will be easy to reach when they need something, but very very slow if you need something. They switched our assigned payroll specialist so many times that I don't even know who it is now to let them know we are switching at the end of the quarter.

Pros

The only thing I can say I liked is that they pay the tax and file the required quarterly/annual reports.

Cons

Very confusing just to have a rate for an employee. There's multiple areas in the employee file where you can add "compensation" & "earnings & deductions". Compensation is where you can add their rate (if you don't, it will notify you that you're not paying minimum wage). You figure you need to add at least one category of earnings like hourly or salary in order to pay an employee. So I added their hourly rates to compensation then added Hourly to their Earnings along with their rate again. The Hourly specifically states RATE X HOURS. Yet, by having both of these, you'll end up paying the employees twice. No problem right. Reports take kind of long to download, and not easily customizable.

Peter

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want?

Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Amy
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 26/07/2018

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me.

The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks.

What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails.

The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear.

Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Kenneth
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Paychex Flex review

Excellent experience deliver on their product have to be careful they raise prices after initial period check on them frequently

Pros

Payroll features and time management tools are easy to use and simple to implement. There is always a payroll specialist available when needed

Cons

Reports are sometimes difficult to generate to many options can be confusing to find exactly what you need without a payroll specialist

Peter
  • Industry: Fishery

Reviewed on 10/03/2019

A great asset to have when running and business.

Pros

The software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.

Cons

The app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.

Matthew
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

Excellent company top to bottom

Pros

Paychex has been top-notch for over five years, when I switched to them from another payroll company. I operate a small seasonal business with about 10 employees, and from the beginning I have received all the support that I need for my payroll and tax responsibilities, and at a more reasonable rate than I was paying before. I deal with one single payroll specialist every week (unless she is on vacation or something), which I love, and if she is unavailable the fill-in specialists have been able to take care of my payroll, which is not quite standard, without any issues. The website took a little getting used to initially, but I download my reports from there every week, quarter, and year, and everything is easy to find and use. I couldn't recommend Paychex more highly, at least for any business such as mine.

Cons

If anything, I feel that it would be good to consider a website review and edit - I do not have anything specific to offer in terms of what to change, but it did seem a little confusing the first few times using it. I don't have any issues now, but admittedly I only log on to do the same thing (download the report) each week, quarter, and year.

Christopher
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Great customer service and excellent scalability

Keeps track of employee information and is able to run reports for information that we use daily. I.e. employee birthday tracking, minor list, pay rates by department etc

Pros

Very easy to use but powerful at the same time. Being able to have applicants move along from application to onboarding to hired into payroll using the same software is very convenient. Integration with point of sale software works great. We have had two different POS systems and integration with both was perfect.

Cons

Onboarding individuals is sometimes an issue. If the individual has a flex account from another company or has applied with multiple different email addresses can cause issues. Always make sure to search for an applicant before entering into onboarding.

Savanah
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Very good, much better than what we used to use which was ADP

Pros

It's very easy to use and find what you need. I love that I can toggle and clock in easily. I also love that everything is in one place. I like the extra security as well.

Cons

I don't like that the clock in and out moves so quickly. It can blank out and I'll need to refresh.

Eva
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 19/10/2016

PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW.

We've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products.

Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so.

Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared.

FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is.

So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.

Pros

Flex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.

Cons

Although FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before.

Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.

• Industry: Textiles

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

Don't bite off more than you can chew

We transferred over from Preview to Flex in March and have had some sort of issue (always a new problem) with running payroll from glitches, to inaccuracies in accruals due to incomplete data transfers to random errors like pay rates suddenly not being mapped to the proper pay components. Overall Paychex has great features and I love that our employees are offered the option to view their stubs and w-2s online and request time off but, I feel like they need to train their employees more on their updates and work out the kinks before they release updates because it causes a lot of unexpected error on the user end which cause a delay and inconvenisnce on our end.

Pros

I like that their Flex software is "live" and you no longer need to transmit hours as a file.

Cons

New features are released with glitches, representatives are NEVER available, it takes a lot of follow-up to get assistance and they pass you from representative to representative like a "hot potato".

Renae
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Good Website

Pros

I do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.

Cons

When there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 02/10/2018

Extremely User Friendly

Pros

As both a Paychex user and admin, I love how easy it is to navigate, you feel that your information is secure and if you experience an issue there is very short wait when calling customer services (typically no wait at all). When you first log into paychex, there are multiple security levels that one has to pass depending on your preference. Also, once you are in there is a dashboard with shortcuts to all the most used features. Paychex is constantly improving their software which is exciting. Our company is really enjoying the new live reports that update on a daily basis calculating everything from turnover rate, average headcount, and hired & termed totals.

Cons

We really enjoy using this software, there is nothing we dislike at the moment.