About Sematext Cloud

Sematext gives businesses full-stack visibility by exposing performance issues, quickly and easily, through a single cloud or on-premise solution. Sematext Cloud is a cloud monitoring solution that helps businesses of all sizes...

Browse Sematext Cloud Reviews

Chao Y.

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Worth switching from other logging aggregation

Satisfied but need more time to evaluate

Pros

I just switch from ELK. Sematext is a surprise to me. It is so easy to integrate and so easy to use. The web UI is so intuitive and the query syntax is so easy to use even if you are not a technical guy. Compared to ELK, it is a real cloud service, you never need to worry about you lose the logs .

Cons

I haven’t found so far. Only thing is the price is a little bit high for a standup.

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Chao! Thanks a lot for your feedback. If you ever have any questions regarding how to manage your pricing and keep costs optimized, feel free to reach out to our team in the Sematext live chat.

Matthew P.

Reviewed on 01/11/2017

Great but with a small caveat for what is probably an unusual setup

Pros

Super easy way to see metrics and do log analysis with alerting! We have clusters running in six regions around the globe and use Sematext for all our log analysis and error alerting.

Cons

If you have a lot of clusters that you would like to keep separate in Sematext for various reasons (for us we have the same setup running in different regions of the globe) but want the same Sematext configuration (filters, alerts, etc) then you have to manually keep things in sync. Currently, it is impossible to have the same Sematext configuration applied to multiple apps...

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Matthew! This feedback is gold. Thanks a lot! We have added your suggestion to our roadmap, and will explore how to save multiple configs or even clone Apps.

Ben R.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Sematext shows one unified view for all of our Docker log, events, and metrics!

Pros

Docker Metrics and Docker Logs all in one place! Correlating between logs, metrics, and events is awesome! Hosted Kibana without the hassle of setting it up ourselves.

Cons

Sometimes the UI can be a bit cramped, and slow. Features of the UI, like getting a list of events when correlating is not as intuitive as it could be (little spreadsheet icon). Logsene searching has a learning curve. Having logs, events, and metrics on one page can be cramped, and sometimes results in the page becoming unresponsive.

Response from Sematext Group

Hi Ben! We really appreciate your review. We've put in major effort in fixing the correlations. We now have a Split Screen feature that will improve the UX significantly. Read more here: https://sematext.com/product-updates/#/2020/new-split-screen-to-correlate-and-pivot-between-metrics-logs-and-much-more

Top Sematext Cloud Alternatives

Szabolcs S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 31/10/2017

A cool managed service coming from seemingly technically versed people

Easy setup, no-headache operations, flexible and instant sizing and fantastic technical support

Pros

Fantastic technical support, even feature requests (for sematext-agent) were sometimes implemented within hours. Sematext even setup its EU data center (partly) on our request. Thank you very much!

Cons

Business arrangements like a custom contract or plan sizes are not so easy and speedy to "implement" - but that's only a non-technical issue in the case of bigger probably public corporations.

Akos K.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Easy to use log management solution

Great tool to monitor infrastructure and your users. Online resources and trainings are useful.

Pros

Fast and easy setup, no additional network configuration is needed. Docker container monitoring is easy with this tool. You can set alert rules. It has a nice UI with a lot of charts.

Cons

More information about data protection policy is needed to use it in production.

Response from Sematext Group

Hi Akos! Thanks for your review. It means a lot! I hope our Privacy Policy - https://sematext.com/legal/privacy/ can give you some of the answers you are looking for to use Sematext in production.

Jason B.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Good monitoring product

I have moved the company into docker containers. Semester has been very helpful to show what is happening with our container infrastructure.

Pros

Ability to drill down to see exact metrics. Ease of use.

Cons

None. I like it. Trying to get company to commit to larger engagement of SEMA text.

Clinton B.

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

Quality is outstanding in this service

Pros

i like how they come out with new features over short periods of time. This service is getting better all the time!

Cons

I do wish I could get a hold of support more but they always get back to me in a timely matter. no complaints

Justin M.

Logging at its finest

Overall great experience and we use it daily. Have had no real issues

Pros

Logs are sent quickly and the search features work great.

Cons

Have ran into issues running out of log storage for the day which can impact production logging

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Justin! Thanks for your feedback. I'm thrilled you like the product. Regarding log storage, we have a feature called Daily Volume Limit. This is a limit you can configure at which Sematext will start rejecting logs to prevent overly high costs. You can also set this limit to a higher value at which you will not lose production logs, but risk paying a bit more.

Patrick B.

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

Log Aggregation that works

Pros

- Choice of Sematexts own simple UI, and Kibana
- Easy to integrate, since the API supports a number of common standards (elasticsearch, syslogd)

Cons

- User Management could be improved, members added to the team have to switch to the team sphere, even if they dont have and apps configured themselves
- Missing feature: Filtering the context view (e.g. if there is an exception, displaying its context works, but I cannot limit that context)

Response from Sematext Group

Hi Patrick! Thanks a lot for your feedback. We have recently added improvements to our RBAC and teams features. Hope you like it.

David C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Good For Monitoring

Pros

Great for monitoring Solr, with great memory use graphs.

Cons

We wished the retention period was a bit larger for the free tier.

New Relic One

Response from Sematext Group

Hey David! Thanks for your feedback! We recently released a Logs Integration for Solr as well! You can now drill down to Solr-specific logs and debug issues even faster.

Guru S.

Intuitive server metrics tracking

Sematext support was overall positive and they are super helpful when integrating with the tech stack.

Pros

Sematext provided support for our GoSchedule engineering team to track server logs, exceptions, and other essential metrics in a single dashboard. This helped the whole engineering team to decide when to scale and add more machines for production load. This increased our engineering team productivity and sleep well during night.

Cons

So far we didnt have any negative experience with the software.

Michal B.

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Works as expected

Pros

The UI is quite easy to use, intuitive, does not reinvent the wheel.

Cons

Setting up logging from a serverless nodejs app was quite complicated. I could not get the logsene-sematext library provided by Sematext to work and I could not find a solid documentation for how to use the log API myself. Luckily, the library is open source so I could figure out how to post log messages directly from the source code.

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Michal! Thanks a lot for your feedback. Last week we added new integrations for AWS services including Lambda, ECS, and CloudWatch apart from the Vercel integration you mentioned. You can now follow the integration instructions and configure it in minutes! If you need any additional help with configuring your serverless app, feel free to just shoot a message in the Sematext live chat. :)

Arpit K.
  • Used for Free Trial

SOLR-Cloud monitoring using Sematext

Pros

The ease of setting up the monitoring for a giant Solr Cloud setup.

Cons

At times the data showed up slightly delayed than our expectations, however it is not something that happened frequently enough to escalate the concern.

Deepak V.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Sematext is an excellent monitoring and logging platform for Docker and Kubernetes

Excellent platform for monitoring and logging for Kubernetes.

Pros

Easy to install. Collects relevant metrics.

Cons

Does not integrate with AWS web services.

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Deepak! Thanks for using Sematext to monitor Kubernetes metrics and logs. We recently added integrations for managed Kubernetes providers including AWS EKS, AWS ECS, AKS, GCE, Openshift, Mesos, and Nomad. Now you can monitor any type of Kubernetes cluster!

• Industry: Automotive
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I'm using on the heroku

Pros

surely sends logs to me on my heroku app

Cons

Not supported Japanese language, English only

Debodirno C.

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

One stop solution for infrastructure insights!

I used this to manage my infra and this has really helped me a lot to understand the usage pattern of the app and also helps in safely predicting when the load will be high and when it will be low. Finding out memory leaks for JVM has also been very easy when I was trying to get insights about GC and JVM pool.

Pros

- Very detailed reports
- Installing an agent happens in a jiffy
- Very intuitive UI
- Good support from the Sematext team

Cons

- Documentation missing for old agents - Ubuntu < 16
- Agent once crashed - cause is still unknown!

Datadog

Reasons for Choosing Sematext Cloud

I wanted to get a detailed report of each of the metrics over a time period. Sematext does that. Also for JVM monitoring I couldn't get anything better than this.

Sensu

Reasons for Switching to Sematext Cloud

JVM monitoring just stole the deal for me. Also, the help from their support team while I was setting it up on my production instances - it was amazing.

Response from Sematext Group

Hey Debodirno! Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback. If there's anything else we can help you with, feel free to reach out!

Much More Than Log Aggregation

Sematext is a proven and reliable offering, without a single outage I can recall in the past 2.5 years. The customer support is amazing and queries are answered without fail within a couple of hours. They are constantly working on the product and increasing their offerings. They offer customers the chance to trial new products and give feedback, which is fantastic.

We use Sematext for:
* Log Aggregation
* Monitoring and Alerting
* Incident Investigation
* Log Retention
* Debugging

I love how we can easily set up alerts on logs and receive Slack or OpsGenie notifications when events occur. I would highly recommend Sematext as a vendor.

Pros

* Super Reliable
* Excellent Customer Support
* Constantly Adding Features
* Constantly Improving

Cons

There are very few things not to like about this software and company.

The way accounts are set up, where you have to log in then "become" the account owner to see your logs is strange, and needs to be explained to each new user.

Response from Sematext Group

Hey! Thanks a lot for your feedback regarding the RBAC. We've worked on several improvements in the way you can configure account permissions for every member of a team. Feedback like this help us a lot to understand what should be improved. Thanks again!

Steven I.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Our experience with Sematext

Pros

We are using Sematext as a logging solution for early detection of unanticipated error conditions, both server-side and in our front-end JavaScript. We needed a system that would provide enough context so we could debug any issues detected. Overall, Sematext does the job. By logging what's going right as well as what's going wrong, It's pretty easy to understand the broader context.

Cons

It is a bit pricey, but not out of line with other products in this space.

Clayton S.

Wonderful product

Pros

Very easy to use
Good support staff
Efficient and easy billing

Cons

User interface took me a second to get used to

Response from Sematext Group

Hi Clayton! I'm thrilled you like the product. If you have any more feedback regarding the user interface and how to make it simpler, I'd love to hear you out!

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

Best monitoring tool under the budget

Pros

Easy to setup and configure addons.
Log Monitoring & Infra monitoring is good.

Cons

None, it suited within our budget.
You can add option for real time monitoring. The current poll interval is 1 min I guess.

Carlos M.

Easy of use

I have a feeling of an easy to understand product, and that motivates people to adopt new platforms and the paradigm it represents.

Pros

I am impressed with how easy it is to learn, start using the product, and the more I use it the more I discover features that I did not know I needed and makes my life easier.

Cons

UI sometimes is in my opinion kind of slow

Response from Sematext Group

Thanks for your feedback Carlos! We've put in major effort to make the product as easy as possible to get started. We're actively working on improving the page-load speed of the user interface. Stay tuned for more updates!

Joseph H.
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

Straitforward and easy setup.

Pros

The software was quick and easy to get up and running in our test environment.

Cons

There were some glitches with their management console, a little to much email notifications.

Response from Sematext Group

Hi Joseph! Thanks a lot for your review. We've taken the time to implement a new flow for email notifications. Your feedback was very useful. :)

Roy T.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Nice and easy

Pros

Lightweight
Easy to install

Cons

I didn't have any issues with the product

Guilherme G.

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Way more than a log tool

Sematex has become increasingly essential in our tool set. It goes far beyond a simple log manager, delivering valuable information from this huge amount of data.

Pros

Sematex has impressed us in recent months for its ability to deliver robust tools for analyzing and mining the information present in our logs. Through its customizable Dashboards, we can analyze very important statistics both to characterize the behavior of our users and to help us identify problems in our code.

Cons

The experience of using the Sematex interface has improved a lot, but it is not always so intuitive to find the resources we want. Reading the logs is also not as clean as I would like to see.

Response from Sematext Group

Thanks for your feedback Guilherme! I'm really happy you like the product. If there is any more feedback you'd like to share regarding the Sematext user interface and experience, I'm happy to listen. Thanks again for your time.

Lucas P.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

IoT log monitoring made easy

We have been monitoring a fleet of IoT devices with Sematext.
Using it we can quickly send data from the devices and analyze it later, making feature development faster and debugging way easier.

Pros

Easy to use and extremely fast to filter log data.
Ready-to-use Java and Android libraries made integration a very fast process.
Main UI is very similar to Kibana, and it also provides the full experience if you need it.
Fast and knowledgeable tech support.

Cons

There are rare instances where the UI becomes unresponsive or slow.

Elasticsearch

Reasons for Switching to Sematext Cloud

We needed a self-managed/cloud solution to focus on our product and Sematext enabled a very fast integration.