About Float

Float is a collaborative resource management software for real-time project planning and task scheduling. Features include an intuitive interface, drag-and-drop features, keyboard shortcuts, reports, and analytics, and editing...

4.2

Browse Float Reviews

1,386 of 1,386 reviews
Marco
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Unbeatable task and team manager

Pros

Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Cons

Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Zoho Projects

Reasons for Switching to Float

User interface cleaner and easier.
Shanavas

Reviewed on 15/06/2022

Float review from a project manager perspective

Float has solved issues regarding time allocation and prioritization for me, which is what I really expect from this software.

Pros

I use float to quickly see my and my team's schedule for the day. It gives me an oversight into the entire day's work in a couple of minutes. This is what I like about float

Cons

Logging in time used versus time scheduled can be a bit more streamlined as right now it's a bit difficult to track unless everyone adds in their time log correctly.

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Float for time management

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it.
We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for.
I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

Top Float Alternatives

awez
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 24/09/2022

Really wonderful

Extraordinary

Pros

It helps me in planing and scheduling the projects

Cons

No I love it's every feature it's very cool

Pauline

Reviewed on 21/06/2022

Good ressource management software

Pros

It's a good software for scheduling people's time on projects, seeing at a glance who is available and when, and who is working on each project. We can easily categorise people into teams, roles etc and then do quick searches. It's also really easy for every employee to log their time spent on projects so that we know what to invoice to clients.

Cons

It's not great for managing the budget of a project: the reports are really limited so you have to do a csv export if you want to do in depth analysis.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Pauline! Great to hear that Float is increasing visibility of who's doing what and when on your team!

Replied 01/07/2022
Heather

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

Multi disciplinary studio management

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved.

Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window.

Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Abdelkader

Reviewed on 02/12/2022

A great program that efficiently schedule tasks

Pros

What convinced us to buy Float was its simplicity. With about 50 extremely busy engineers and designers working for the organization, entering workload data needs to be quick—less than five minutes. We can accomplish this using Float.

Cons

Of course, there are a few little faults here and there, but none are significant enough to mention. It's a fantastic tool that is quite useful.

Beatrice

Reviewed on 09/01/2023

Very good and easy way to manage teams

Pros

Extremely user friendly for all parties involved - super easy to schedule team members on different projects and everyone can have clarity of workload.

Cons

No issues really - so far so good. Features are a bit basic though.

Kostadinka
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 30/11/2022

Amazing software!

My overall experience is pretty great.

Pros

Task Management is easy, workflow tracking is very good.

Cons

Task editing can take some time while it loads once edited.

Manish
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

splendid

great

Pros

easy for development, value for money, easy for development

Cons

really not required but for fast execution some optimization technique needed

Jonathan
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Tomasz

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Resource planning in big picture

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project.

2. Planning time off office days

3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Kantata and Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Float

Paymo was slow and has bad mobile app

Paymo

Reasons for Switching to Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify
Alex

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Minimal and polished UI, but not lacking in features

Pros

As a developer it's easy to get sidetracked. That's why we have project managers and Float. Float helps me not only keep track of what I should be doing and when I should be doing it, but it also helps me keep track of what my colleagues are doing. Especially now, when working from home is the new normal, it's really easy to check if one of my colleagues is working and if they might have some time available for me. All that without having to add 20 filters and navigate a complex UI. Float has all the features in all the right places but still manages to keep a minimal looking UI.

Cons

There are only minor annoyances I have with Float (they're more like nitpicks anyways). A filter to hide projects that aren't being worked on in the current week/month would be nice. Also, there's a lot of freedom when assigning colours to a project. Maybe some predefined colour palettes would work better and stop our our schedule from looking like a lego brick wall ;)

Oliver

Reviewed on 24/08/2020

Best Scheduling Tool on the market

It's fantastic to use :)

Pros

So I hardly ever write Reviews, and even less on software - but Float is an exception.
This tool really change the way our Agency works, especially in times of 100% home-office.
It's amazingly simple to use, has a great overview of your team's schedule, and makes forecasting and reporting extremely easy.
I'd give this tool 12 points if I could!

Cons

There are a few minor glitches - but the customer service team including the devs are very helpful!

Ben
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Flexible and responsive

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources.
I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Jo

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Easiest visual scheduling ever

I love it! I could never go back to the old paper and whiteboard workflow planning systems I used a decade ago!

Pros

Simple colour blocking makes workflow easy to take in at a glance (perfect for visual thinkers like me!).

Cons

Sometimes when you scroll left it takes you back to the log-in screen.

Nathalye

Reviewed on 17/08/2020

Great tool for visibility of projects

Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

Trello

Reasons for Choosing Float

Brid's eye view feature

Favro

Response from Float

Hi Nathalye,

Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking

You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float.

If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Replied 10/09/2020
Taylor

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Absolutely Love Float

Great.

Pros

I needed a program that tracked resource allocation only, and this is it. I have brought it to every company I have worked at. It is so easy to use and set up and the Asana integration is so valuable. I am able to project the workload for the next quarter in under 30 mins.

Cons

Would love to be able to prioritize tasks according to importance in the stack but otherwise, no major cons.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Taylor! Amazing to hear that you're able to project the next quarter's workload in less than half an hour with Float!
Thank you so much for bringing Float into every company you've worked at!

Replied 30/06/2022
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

Program Manager using Float

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

- Easy of use
- Performance
- Interface
- Good visibility into my resources and their load

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now
- Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part
- Adding holidays could be easier
- When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Sara

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Choosing Float as a communication tool means choosing a pillar of agility and attractiveness...

What do your employees expect in terms of corporate communication? Employees no longer hesitate to use their personal tools and applications for professional purposes. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working within a digital, agile company that is increasingly extended to its external ecosystem. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working in a digital, agile and increasingly extended company to its external ecosystem.

Float as an internal communication tool makes all this possible, bringing managers and employees closer to the company and meeting their expectations in terms of information. Fun, practical and functional, Float has become for me an indispensable managerial tool, both to explain the company's strategy and to highlight my results. It also allows me to motivate my colleagues!

Pros

I find that the features already present are exactly what I need for my start up: the possibility to call each other via Chrome browser is a plus.
The mobile application is really very useful and makes Float easier to use. Not only does it allow me to continue to follow the threads of conversation wherever I am (in a meeting, on the road, anywhere), but also to send attachments (images, records, etc.).

The integration with other applications is very ergonomic: I use Jira and Confluence a lot and the widgets in Float are very responsible as soon as I import a link for my collaborators.

Cons

I'm a fan of it, I find that it is not lacking in functionality, but if I ever change my mind, I know that the customer service department will welcome my remarks and suggestions with kindness and professionalism.
However, I do find that the possibility of not having to change browsers and make or receive calls from Mozilla would be great.

Reviewed on 22/02/2021

A solid system for smaller teams

Great system, great team. There is a lot of very good positives for Float, but I can see there is still room to grow, but I have no doubt the team at Float will progress this in time.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and integrate into smaller teams. Visually straightforward, it gives you quick and simple answers to essential resource-based questions and allows team members to see what work they should be progressing and when in a tidy calendar view. In addition, there is an easy link between time in the calendar to projects that can be managed quickly.

Cons

I do find that compared to some other systems, a level of detail when it comes to finances and budgets vs resource is missing. Whilst you can get some very top-level detail, the ability to link actual time spent versus project budgets is a little simplistic and could be expanded upon to really drill down into more detail to provide better overall reports.

Allysa

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Float is great

Pros

It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Cons

The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Katerina

Reviewed on 15/06/2022

Excellent, does the job

Fast and easy to use. What else is there to like about an online tool?

Pros

It's simple, clean, loads pretty fast and gives the best statistics and insights that come in handy. The administration of our company also prefers it over other online planning tools, for its convenience. The different colors feature that separates users is really a cherry on top of the whole set-up.

Cons

Logging in hours as a user could be more visible than it is right now. Users may find it quite knotty considering other features of Float; many coworkers have asked about where it's located.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Katerina!

Replied 30/06/2022
Filipe

Reviewed on 11/03/2021

Best in class for resource management/allocation

Pros

I find that Float is best in its class for resource management. My managers use Float to manage our pipeline. Float allows us to see the data in many different ways and that does make a difference in the user experience of the product.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that it could have more integrations with other products.

Response from Float

Hi Filipe,

Thanks so much for your review! You can view our growing list of integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations. We'd welcome hearing your feedback on other products you'd like to connect with Float. Please email [email protected] to let us know!

Cheers,