About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Shari
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 04/11/2021

Best Scheduling App Ever

Pros

I've used the software for over a year now and it makes my day to day life as an independent contractor a breeze. I can grab shifts posted by the managers shortly after they're published and can offer them up or swap them easily if I can no longer work a taken shift. I can request for leave, take a break during the scheduled shift and also view how many hours in total I have for the day, week, month in the schedule section. Their app for phones also allows you to grab, offer and view shifts and you can clock in or out on it. I especially love the seconds feature and the app being able to show me the time in my work's time zone VS mine so I'm never confused.

Cons

It's a little slow when grabbing shifts, like you are unable to just click/accept shifts back-to-back and have to wait like 30 seconds per accepted shift for the page to load and show that you've accepted your shift. There sometimes is also a lag when starting/ending a shift and you have to ensure it was clicked properly or shows you've started/ended after the page finishes loading or you could end up being late or stay clocked in.

Troy

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

Deputy is seriously like the sheriff that came in and cleaned up our employee scheduling...

We had employees staying clocked on after shifts milking the clock. We didn't notice it until it was time to run payroll. Now this tells me whenever someone stays on more than 5 minutes past their shift. Or clocks in more than 5 minutes early. 6 stores, 3 shifts a day, it really adds up quickly!

Pros

Easy to learn. As the person in charge I not only had to learn this product, but I had to train everyone else on this product. And not just train them, but sell them on why it was better than what we were using. Luckily, Deputy is so complete, it was easy. They haven't forgotten a single step.

Cons

I wish it synced with my Google calendar. Only thing missing.

Susan
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Zero Customer Support

Their customer service is non existent. The platform is slow and often glitches. We will be moving across to a different platform as quickly as possible.

Pros

The rostering system mostly works well, when it's not glitching.

Cons

There is zero customer support. When things go wrong (and they often do) you have to find your own way out of it.They charge you for staff that you aren't even payrolling. We were told if we archived these staff, we wouldn't have to pay for them. But then we found out that's not true, and were charged for them anyway.Their prices have also increasing, despite customer services decreasing to a point where this system is no longer a viable option.

Top Deputy Alternatives

Julie

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

Worst customer support ever

Pros

It is easy to schedule, roster available on smart phone and has a time clock system so employee work hours can be tracked and monitored.

Cons

If a software is going to suit many businesses (as advertised) the company needs to be open to discussions with all types of businesses so that the software is adaptable. This does not happen.

The customer support is atrocious. You get a robot answering then a online chat forum. It is time consuming to interact with this forum - they waste time repeating your questions, responses are very condescending, they have no power to make any changes.
For example, I have for the last month requested that someone from the country I live in and is involved with the software design(and therefore have the ability to make changes) contact me (?telephone) I have finally been told that even if they call they will not be from within the country I live in - and therefore are just one level higher in the overseas call centre.
One frustrating example - the time clock system is an important part of any rostering system - and they have just issued a new feature where staff can clock in and out from home, without any consultation or ability to turn off this feature. While this may suit some businesses it does not suit mine and I am sure I am not alone. Unfortunately this leaves the door open for staff to be fraudulent and defeats the purpose of a clock on/clock off system.

Jordyn
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 10/10/2022

Deputy from an employee point of view

My overall experience with deputy has been very positive and I would highly recommend people to use!
It’s made working life much easier and everyone knows where they stand with everything !

Pros

The features that I found most beneficial are the time sheets that automatically update after every shift has been fantastic I can see exactly what I’m being paid and when and what shifts I’m due to be paid for which I like the most ! I also like that I can clock on and off from my phone! I also like that I can see my shift schedule and see who I’m on shift with!
I easily think it’s improved my work life and has benefited me so much and made everything so much more efficient!

Cons

The only thing that I think the app has an issue with is that it sometimes glitches when logging on and off and doesn’t take the picture to log off so leaves you signed in.
So to improve I would remove the taking the picture so it’s just a button that you clock in and out with so it doesn’t glitch!

George

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Easy Time clock solution

Easy to use.

Pros

The mobile app and web client make it easy for employees too clock in and out. You can also establish boundaries so that mobile app users are not clocking in away from the work location. Management can easily be notifies who is on time, late, or did not clock in at all.

Cons

It's not free but it definitely is worth it's value if you are paying for other time clock software.

Anthony
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/01/2017

Reduce scheduling time impact on your business

We have over 170 staff in 6 regions nationally. We are looking to expand this to our international teams.
We operate event merchandising at venues all around the country, however, we cannot install fixed hardware to have our team clock on and off for their shifts.
The Deputy experience for our team created greater transparency and opened up a more robust communication culture.
We operate under 3 awards across the business based on location and our team can work in multiple locations, so we needed to develop a script to understand how all the awards needed to interact with each other. Thanks to the thorough API library we were able to completely customize scripts and reports to cut our timesheet approval experience to less than 1 hour on a Monday and the payroll team was able to free up 2 entire days from their week.
Our rostering team has been able to reduce the time working on roster production to 2 days and maintenance of the rosters has become a much more simple task - this can often be done in the app!
Deputy has allowed our business to scale without increasing our scheduling workload. We have expanded our operations team to focus on our business practices and service delivery and because Deputy is part of our team now we have far greater visibility than ever before without additional time invested.

Pros

No fixed hardware required
Scalability
News Feed has our team communicating more openly
Custom Reporting
Award Interpretation - Once scripts written (we run with 3 different awards)
App Experience
Quick Payroll/Timesheet Approvals

Cons

Integration of Enterprise Version with Basic Version - Particularly Locations do not pick up the same address fields.

Emre

Reviewed on 04/09/2022

Wonderful

Pros

Overall I'm stunned! very easy to use. The price is cheap compared to its counterparts and the overall quality is great.

Cons

It's almost impossible to have a bad experience because their customer service is active and available 24 hours a day.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 08/11/2022

Great for us - and we have 24 hour ops and 3 physical locations!

Pros

I really liked the look of the app, and ability to drag and drop folks into the schedule. The integration with BambooHR was a requirement for me, and Deputy is one of the few that integrates directly. I really like the communication feature - I can send out announcements and force my staff to "acknowledge" it, so I can prove/know that someone read something. Love that, as we are 24/7 operations across three locations (four if you count my remote staff member in Japan). What else would I do? I cannot be everywhere at once.

Cons

It took me a bit to learn how it all worked - but the Deputy staff has some intense, regular training opportunities and a really responsive tech support team, so if I can do it, you can.

Philippe
  • Industry: Legislative Office

Reviewed on 23/01/2023

Good scheduling software

Pros

It is one of the best scheduling software, easy to use and secure for every staff member and has the possibility to change the start time of a shift which is also useful because sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons

It works much better on Apple devices than on Android devices

Grace
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

Rostering by AI

Definitely would recommend this for companies that have shift work. The fee is not that expensive especially if it replaces an admin or HR person toiling over complicated rosters for days on end.

Pros

I felt it was important that our company, or at least my department, moved into the 21st century. We had highly paid managers AND an admin person wasting an entire day or more doing a roster for 10-person teams each month. I tinkered around with it, putting in preferred shifts for each staffer, which busy days in the week we needed more staff, their off day preferences, the minimum amount of time between shifts, how many days a month some of the contract staff worked, etc, then let Deputy do its AI thing and automatically come up with a proposed roster.

You can run it a few times to come up with different schedules, if the first time doesn't look ideal. Then it can be exported IIRC (or copied and pasted) including to excel (because "that's how we do things here" — people were just more used to viewing their roster on a spreadsheet, sigh).

The best part is, once you set most of the parameters, subsequent rostering is a breeze. Users can log in to put in their own leave dates ahead of time. IIRC they can also request among each other to change shifts.

During the trial, tech support was super responsive and even helped customise the backend of my account to allow a certain permutation we needed.

Overall I really liked Deputy. Very regretfully, it was not adopted by my company. It didn't make it past my supervisor level as he felt that there would be management resistance to paying monthly for this service.

Cons

Nothing really. It took time to figure out what parameters had to be input because my test team's roster had 5 different shift types over 7 days a week, and different people had different preferences for their rosters. It wasn't impossible to set Deputy up for this, but it was not straightforward (nothing to do with Deputy).

It also seemed at first like Deputy was more set up for people to go in and grab the shifts they wanted. But I could ignore that and run the scheduler to get rosters done quite quickly after a while.

It could take a bit of time for the automated scheduler to do its thing. But still much faster and fewer errors than human effort.

Jenna
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker

Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros

I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons

I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

Stacy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

Fantastic!

This software has helped our company specifically with the scheduling aspect of our business. It saves the company scheduler time, helps us keep the time off requests and scheduling organized, and has made it much easier to communicate the work schedule to our employees. After trying the free trial, we knew it was the right software for us.

Pros

We went from using spreadsheets and a calendar planner to using Deputy. When we were comparing scheduling programs, Deputy really grabbed our attention because of its look, ease of use, and price. We have been using it solely now for almost 2 months and it has proven to be a dependable, trustworthy service. We no longer need the planner to keep track of time-off requests. Now they go right into Deputy. It is very easy to set up and customize - Deputy offers to do this for you, but we did it on our own. I am a self-learner and was able to gain much insight on the program after watching a tutorial video. Deputy's customer support has been dependable. I was able to get my questions answered during a scheduled video call with a customer support representative. I've also emailed them and they've responded within 24 hours, and I've used their live chat. My employees like it, and they appreciate how it automatically adds their shifts to their phone calendar. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with Deputy. I highly recommend giving them a try!

Cons

I've sat here for a long time trying to come up with a complaint about the software. At this time, I have no complaints about the product but will report back if something comes up the longer we use it.

Lara
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

Couldn't survive without Deputy

As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros

Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons

Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

Robert
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 24/04/2017

Best Online Scheduling / Time Card System

Working for a City Government Organization, we installed deputy.com to replace our outdated and expensive Kronos solution. Deputy being a cloud based system, helped us to deploy and test more rapidly then installing a local on premise solution. The Integration staff and Owner of the company were involved with our go live and were amazing. They continue to speak with us and help us though issues that come up. Deputy.com is well worth the money and they integrate with most major cloud based payroll systems. Their IPAD kiosk app for clock-in/out is the best out of all the other company demos we tried as well. Easy to deploy and manage and they continue to work out bugs and issues as they come up. They are very quick to acknowledge a problem and work on a fix.

Pros

iPAD Kiosks
iPhone/Droid Apps for staff
Cloud based
Beautiful Interface to schedule
Tons of features

Cons

Works best in Google Chrome. IE and Firefox is buggy.
Automatic features that affect time entry don't always work as described.
No formal training documentation, only help web guides.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Robert! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Anish

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

Deputy

Smooth and good experience

Pros

The fact that its very easy to customize and assign shifts to appropriate staff who are then able to receive notifications on their phones and PCs.
Deputy's customer support is also quite good.

Cons

I found that navigating at first through the web based application tends to be a bit difficult and it also does't offer a range of colors for tagging different shifts.

Paycor

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Better customer support response
Helen

Reviewed on 07/04/2017

CountryOptusStore

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on.
I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero.
Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

Laura
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

Absolutely love Deputy!

Absolutely wouldn't use anything else!

Pros

So easy to roster people in appropriate areas, ensure you have the right amount of cover, and let everyone knows what their shifts are. Logging on and off shift is quick and easy, and the phone app is wonderful for offering out shifts to be covered at short notice.

Cons

24/7 online help is good, sometimes there are communication difficulties because of the intricacies of the Australian awards system. However, having an account manager I can book a remote training or consultation session with is awesome!!

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Easy and simple to use for myself and my team

I have shared my experiences with other small business owners. It helps me with keeping track of my employee's hours, ask questions when something looks odd and different and the best thing is that it links directly to my payroll software.

Pros

Flexibility of use on the computer or mobile device. I especially like that the fact that it links directly to my payroll software, no calculations or manual entries required.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem very intuitive to schedule shifts with a virtual organization where all of my employees can work within a standard window of hours, take breaks etc. It seems to duplicate their hours if I do put in shifts and I really didn't have time to figure it out so I just don't use this feature.

Bree
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Great way to communicate with your team!

We have been using Deputy for over 2 years and find the software to be reliable, user friendly and a great way to schedule and communicate with our team.

The customer service is great with a very quick response time and they are always eager to answer any questions and take on board any feedback you may have.

I would highly recommend Deputy for anyone looking into scheduling software.

Pros

User Friendly / Efficient / Flexible / Great tool for communicating with your team

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Bree! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

We use Deputy as a core part of our operations for 34 employees and 2 locations. Works...

Pros

This software Keeps us organized. We love the virtual interaction and giving our employees complete visibility and ownership of the schedule. Messaging on newsfeed and gets us out of text and email. We like the scheduling features and ease of learning for new employees. We are able to be twice and productive with Deputy.

Cons

Would like a more comprehensive workflow approval for managers to approve time off from the app. Something like an Inbox type feature on the app is needed. In order to approve time off now managers have to login on the computer and sometimes we are not at a stopping place to get the laptop out. The mobile features are so convenient!

Gerardo

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

Over all Deputy is very helpful to manage staffing schedule, leave request and vacations.

Pros

The notifications keeping people up to date of their work schedule it helps the staff keep track on their hours and select their available to work with us, specialty on an industry that demand a lot of flexibility of work hrs from staff.
The easiest of making the schedule week by week and keeping conveniently up to date.
If I have an problem with the system their support is always available 24/7

Cons

The inconvenient of not be able to edit Staff profiles.
Since we have staff of different ages is difficult to the staff to understand how important is for the company to keep their information up to date.
So I assume if the Deputy sister will support and enhance the employees with their questions and give them the same guid to use Deputy as the management will be great.

Derek

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Best scheduling tool out there

Our company has benefited greatly since the implementation of Deputy. Before Deputy we were constantly looking for better ways to streamline our scheduling, and a way to connect with all staff. With Deputy we were able to do all of these things and so much more.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Smart phone integration makes it simple for employees to request days off, change shifts, and update availability. The news feed is a great way to send and receive messages across your entire company of specific departments.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Derek! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Reviewed on 02/05/2018

Concise, Effective, Efficient

Pros

I like how easy it it to house all of the information we need to schedule our staffing in one place.

From the schedule itself, to having clear lines of communication with our staff on the news feed. It has become a much more efficient way to communicate than through emails, etc...

Cons

At this point, no real cons. With any software that is new to the consumer, there are going to be growing pains (Learning how to use it). But the learning curve was manageable, and I have gotten to a point where it has become an efficient tool for me within our business.