Deputy Reviews

About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Shari
Shari
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 04/11/2021

Best Scheduling App Ever

Pros

I've used the software for over a year now and it makes my day to day life as an independent contractor a breeze. I can grab shifts posted by the managers shortly after they're published and can offer them up or swap them easily if I can no longer work a taken shift. I can request for leave, take a break during the scheduled shift and also view how many hours in total I have for the day, week, month in the schedule section. Their app for phones also allows you to grab, offer and view shifts and you can clock in or out on it. I especially love the seconds feature and the app being able to show me the time in my work's time zone VS mine so I'm never confused.

Cons

It's a little slow when grabbing shifts, like you are unable to just click/accept shifts back-to-back and have to wait like 30 seconds per accepted shift for the page to load and show that you've accepted your shift. There sometimes is also a lag when starting/ending a shift and you have to ensure it was clicked properly or shows you've started/ended after the page finishes loading or you could end up being late or stay clocked in.

Lillian
Lillian

Reviewed on 14/03/2023

Staff adore Deputy's reduced office time!

Because it is hosted on the cloud, managers can use it from any location with an internet connection. ADP's timekeeping module makes it difficult to adjust shifts when workers are asked to report earlier or stay later for work.

Pros

Provides access to shift scheduling, staff attendance and punctuality records, and time off analysis reports for management. Unlike ADP's time tracking module, we don't add pay rates in Deputy so managers can utilize it without accessing confidential information.

Cons

Given that we have many offices in each state, and that our employees often split their time between offices in different states, keeping track of everyone's whereabouts may be a bit of a challenge.

Julie

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

Worst customer support ever

Pros

It is easy to schedule, roster available on smart phone and has a time clock system so employee work hours can be tracked and monitored.

Cons

If a software is going to suit many businesses (as advertised) the company needs to be open to discussions with all types of businesses so that the software is adaptable. This does not happen.

The customer support is atrocious. You get a robot answering then a online chat forum. It is time consuming to interact with this forum - they waste time repeating your questions, responses are very condescending, they have no power to make any changes.
For example, I have for the last month requested that someone from the country I live in and is involved with the software design(and therefore have the ability to make changes) contact me (?telephone) I have finally been told that even if they call they will not be from within the country I live in - and therefore are just one level higher in the overseas call centre.
One frustrating example - the time clock system is an important part of any rostering system - and they have just issued a new feature where staff can clock in and out from home, without any consultation or ability to turn off this feature. While this may suit some businesses it does not suit mine and I am sure I am not alone. Unfortunately this leaves the door open for staff to be fraudulent and defeats the purpose of a clock on/clock off system.

Top Deputy Alternatives

Nathalie

Reviewed on 15/03/2024

Deputy - The Best Online Clock-in System!

I loved using Deputy every day. What's not to love? Everything is laid out for you in a very simple, yet pleasing design. You can clearly see your schedule and any upcoming time off. Clocking in and out is super simple as well. I loved using Deputy at every company which was smart enough to implement it!

Pros

I love the easy-to-use layout. It's super user-friendly making it truly a no-brainer to navigate and use daily.

Cons

Honestly, I loved Deputy and had no issues with it. My complaint is that my company stopped using Deputy and switched to an inferior time-keeping system. Deputy was much better.

Jessica
Jessica

Reviewed on 07/02/2023

Deputy solves scheduling and timesheet issues

As a company in a dynamic business, we use Deputy to track employee hours, breaks, meals, and vacation requests. It's convenient to set up a time. We make good use of the ability to choose from several locations as well as the News Feed. They like how simple it is to use.

Pros

User friendliness of the interface is high. It gives just enough information to make decisions, without overwhelming the reader with facts that are unrelated to the topic at hand.

Cons

The inflexibility of Deputy's design architecture means that users cannot alter the interface's appearance. It would be convenient if each user could customize their own color scheme and background image.

Howard

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Incredible amount of function. Deputy is a great solution to rostering/payroll if you can...

Made my busy day easier!

Pros

Constantly updated, great user interface with lots of features.

Cons

Can be slow to load on older machines /with a slow internet connection

Opsyte and Alvaria Workforce

Reasons for Choosing Deputy

The workforce was too basic for our needs.

CEIPAL Workforce

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Had the easiest-to-use interface and was easily accessible on phones /tablets /computers etc. Ran into limitation issues with other hardware.
Edie

Reviewed on 01/05/2022

Deputy Review!

Pros

What we like most about this software is the ease of clocking in and out and tracking our employees locations.

Cons

We like almost everything about Deputy besides how it and ADP integrate. We are still trying to figure out how to connect the two.

George

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Easy Time clock solution

Easy to use.

Pros

The mobile app and web client make it easy for employees too clock in and out. You can also establish boundaries so that mobile app users are not clocking in away from the work location. Management can easily be notifies who is on time, late, or did not clock in at all.

Cons

It's not free but it definitely is worth it's value if you are paying for other time clock software.

Audrey
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 05/06/2023

Simple automated time tracking without needing manual spreadsheets

Pros

It was so simple to get started using Deputy. I love that I can clock in and clock out on my Apple watch two as I sometimes shut down my computer before remembering to log off on my time sheet.

Cons

Tracking additional hours worked to scheduled hours as TOIL instead of needing to record the time under TOIL specifically created groups which seemed like a roundabout way of doing things.

Employment Hero

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Subscription Rate which allowed pay per user / subscriber instead of needing to purchase a whole package.
Marco

Reviewed on 25/05/2023

What a surprise!

It solved a really great problem for my company, since the program I was using before didn't help me to monitor the time clock.

Pros

Really easy to use it, friendly interface and great customer service.

Cons

That it doesn't remember the hours we set and if they're different from the ones programmed we can't do anything about it

Grace
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

Rostering by AI

Definitely would recommend this for companies that have shift work. The fee is not that expensive especially if it replaces an admin or HR person toiling over complicated rosters for days on end.

Pros

I felt it was important that our company, or at least my department, moved into the 21st century. We had highly paid managers AND an admin person wasting an entire day or more doing a roster for 10-person teams each month. I tinkered around with it, putting in preferred shifts for each staffer, which busy days in the week we needed more staff, their off day preferences, the minimum amount of time between shifts, how many days a month some of the contract staff worked, etc, then let Deputy do its AI thing and automatically come up with a proposed roster.

You can run it a few times to come up with different schedules, if the first time doesn't look ideal. Then it can be exported IIRC (or copied and pasted) including to excel (because "that's how we do things here" — people were just more used to viewing their roster on a spreadsheet, sigh).

The best part is, once you set most of the parameters, subsequent rostering is a breeze. Users can log in to put in their own leave dates ahead of time. IIRC they can also request among each other to change shifts.

During the trial, tech support was super responsive and even helped customise the backend of my account to allow a certain permutation we needed.

Overall I really liked Deputy. Very regretfully, it was not adopted by my company. It didn't make it past my supervisor level as he felt that there would be management resistance to paying monthly for this service.

Cons

Nothing really. It took time to figure out what parameters had to be input because my test team's roster had 5 different shift types over 7 days a week, and different people had different preferences for their rosters. It wasn't impossible to set Deputy up for this, but it was not straightforward (nothing to do with Deputy).

It also seemed at first like Deputy was more set up for people to go in and grab the shifts they wanted. But I could ignore that and run the scheduler to get rosters done quite quickly after a while.

It could take a bit of time for the automated scheduler to do its thing. But still much faster and fewer errors than human effort.

• Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 16/03/2023

No joke, Deputy will only sort employees by first name for several high-use functions.

Meets some of my basic needs. Total fail when it comes to customer service and certain basic needs like the ability to sort staff by last name.

Pros

Relatively easy to get staff setup. Ipad, mobile and desktop integrations are good.

Cons

When looking at timesheets on screen, Deputy does not allow employees to be sorted any other way than by FIRST NAME! Seriously, such a basic function is has been lacking for our entire time with Deputy (~5 years). I keep thinking this has to be on their radar and will get added, but nope! Still organizing my staff like their a class of 2nd graders, lol! Also, many promised integrations (like Square and Xero) have been highly problematic for me. I've just given up. I export raw data from Deputy into spreadsheets and handle it on my own from there. Failed promises. Abismal customer service outsourced to non-English speaking countries.

Jenna
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker

Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros

I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons

I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

Stacy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

Fantastic!

This software has helped our company specifically with the scheduling aspect of our business. It saves the company scheduler time, helps us keep the time off requests and scheduling organized, and has made it much easier to communicate the work schedule to our employees. After trying the free trial, we knew it was the right software for us.

Pros

We went from using spreadsheets and a calendar planner to using Deputy. When we were comparing scheduling programs, Deputy really grabbed our attention because of its look, ease of use, and price. We have been using it solely now for almost 2 months and it has proven to be a dependable, trustworthy service. We no longer need the planner to keep track of time-off requests. Now they go right into Deputy. It is very easy to set up and customize - Deputy offers to do this for you, but we did it on our own. I am a self-learner and was able to gain much insight on the program after watching a tutorial video. Deputy's customer support has been dependable. I was able to get my questions answered during a scheduled video call with a customer support representative. I've also emailed them and they've responded within 24 hours, and I've used their live chat. My employees like it, and they appreciate how it automatically adds their shifts to their phone calendar. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with Deputy. I highly recommend giving them a try!

Cons

I've sat here for a long time trying to come up with a complaint about the software. At this time, I have no complaints about the product but will report back if something comes up the longer we use it.

Trent
Trent
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 22/06/2023

Deceptive conduct

Support team use email only. Most support issues are flicked back to the help videos and everything else you are told "we'll request this feature be added". It never is

Pros

Unless you own an iOS device, do not purchase this software. there is half functionality, and the support may aswell be non-existent, but deputy is more than happy to charge full price for half available software.

Mindy

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Deputy is fairly easy to use and has been a great help in setting up a new payroll system.

Pros

It connects to all our offices and is easily adjustable. Signing in and out is very simple for everyone and it's nice to have an all in one scheduling, asking for time off, signing in and out.

Cons

Setting up the schedule is difficult. I have to copy and paste each day for each person, even though their schedule remains the same because it's not automatically setting it up properly. The new Auto scheduler should see that "Mindy works 9am-5pm Monday- Friday" every week and set it up that way, but it doesn't. It just decides what hours should be covered and randomly puts in everyone's schedule however it wants. It will also randomly start telling me that someone is working too many hours, even when I have them set up in the system for a 40 hour week and I'm only scheduling them 30 hours. There's an override, but it takes longer to set the schedule that way.
I would also like to be able to see total paid time off easily, maybe even in a chart or report. We need to keep track of how many hours per year they have used.

Lex

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

A breath of fresh air compared to when I wrote schedules with a pen and paper.

I love being able to see my employees' overall availability a week at a time, which makes scheduling so much easier. It would be helpful if System Administrators received a notification when a User changed their availability so I could continue to stay ahead of the schedule and be able to maneuver my team better. I do appreciate the ease of scheduling. It's not such a beast anymore!

Pros

Deputy has been a saving grace when it comes to writing schedules. I love the ease of saving locations and being able to house all of my employees' unavailability information in on place. What used to be a beast and take me anywhere from 3-5 hours to complete now can take me 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on staffing changes. Customer service is excellent, especially when setting up your account and being able to decide if Deputy is the best product for your company's use.

Cons

I wish the interface for System Administrators on the mobile application was more user friendly. With my work being partially field based, it would be super helpful to be able to manipulate scheduled on the go instead of needing to use a computer to solidify schedule changes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product.

Jon

Reviewed on 27/09/2016

Deputy - We love the product

We have been using Deputy for about 15 months now and it is a great product that just keeps getting better and better with regular updates and new features. Comprehensive functionality and beautifully packaged to make it easy and intuitive for all users which is key to ensure staff adopt it well. We have used others but in my opinion it is the perfect product for our business.

Pros

It is a very friendly and intuitive product. We don't need to train new users, just add them to the system and it takes them through the basics quickly and easily. We just don't get questions from new staff on how to use it, clear simple instructions on a very intuitive platform just makes it easy to start new staff.

Cons

Very little. Would like better holiday tracking reporting but really not much else.

Response from Deputy

Hey Jon!

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so happy that you love Deputy as much as we do! In addition, it speaks volumes that your employees feel the same way. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future, and we look forward to watching your business grow!

Happy Scheduling,

Team Deputy

Replied 27/09/2016
Melissa

Reviewed on 19/11/2021

No working

No customer service
No IT Service
No one knows how to fix anything and no one wants to help get it fixed.
Better off just finding a company who will beta test a update before throwing an update out there first
And one that has a legit 800# so you and your staff can get back on track when the software is a mess.

Pros

Was working for the time we had this
Set up the system in September of 2021

Cons

The software was updated and through a code in the software. Which disabled my staffs open shift calendars. Call the 855# and no one can help. Send a message and still can't help. If you don't respond within 24 hours to a message they close your ticket and the problems aren't fixed. Call sales to see if someone can help and they may put you through to someone. But most likely back into the que so you can hear I can't help you. And message you rep and they don't answer emails. If they do they send you the 855# and back to square one.

Natashia

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

I have loved the fact that I can have as many employees that I want

easy scheduling, great communication with my staff and the ability for my staff to drop shifts, switch shifts of take an open shift.

Pros

My staff and I really like the communication in the news feed, the ability to post PDF and images as needed to all my staff as I use it for my Staff Memos. I also like the ability for them to 'confirm' the message after they have read it. Having the chance to edit the start time of a shift is also helpful as sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons

It doesn't show the amount of hours scheduled in a day at the bottom like other software I have previously used. (When I work) and it also doesn't let you type large amounts of text in the news feed.You have to send multiple messages or upload a word document. Users have also complained that they can't view what the full shift times are of other staff working, just the start times of other people. It would also be nice to have multiple people able to log in on the same computer at once. currently one person has to log off before the other can log in.

Adam

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Simple program to use with great customer service

Pros

Simplicity in its use. I also enjoy the ease of inputting employees into the system and the ease of placing employees into shifts. Its quite easy to use and its functionality is great throughout all levels of use.

I can tell you that the customer services is also wonderful and quick to reply to any need. They really have someone available around the clock which is quite helpful considering I often times get my admin work done later at night here in the US!

Cons

Overall, there is not much that I do not like, I do wish that Deputy integrated for little to no cost with accounting or other IT Software programs. I would love to integrate with other programs that I use, but the cost is just too high to do that with the small business that I have. Its ok...easy enough to do on my own due to the ease of use of the program overall.

Alicia

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Deputy makes scheduling masses easier. A few features need to be added still though

Pros

I love that I can copy-paste a schedule from last week, make minor adjustments for employees who have other rotating schedules to work around, or vacation days... it also makes finding available replacements drastically easier

Cons

I dont like the printable version and I still prefer posting my schedule instead of only having it digital. I want my employees to see my notes for each shift publicly and so I have to screenshot them print which has resolution issues. Therefore I have to size increase the window (ctr+), take two different screenshots, and then stitch together with photoshop in order to share these notes. Also, we are a restaurant that does shifts to phase send people home in order of first clock in time depending on how busy/slow we are or when dinner rush slows down. There is no way to indicate this. I have to use shift end times as estimates and let employees know. Also our POS system Sapphire is not supported and we can't use the clock-in feature

Helen

Reviewed on 07/04/2017

CountryOptusStore

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on.
I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero.
Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

Laura
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

Vipin

Reviewed on 25/05/2023

Great UI/UX and Easy to use

Pros

Scheduling was a breeze, approving shifts and managing payroll was simple as well. Integrated well with our payroll software. The best thing was the UI though I have looked at multiple scheduling softwares but they were too complicated to use. My employees could trade shifts with such ease and I could approve them as well. All in all a comprehensive app and website.

Cons

It wasn't very easy to find employee and put in their pay info etc. Otherwise didn't find any cons.