About Notion

Notion is a digital workspace that lets small to large businesses streamline and manage notes, tasks, projects, records, calendar and more. Key features include portfolio tracker, designer templates, database management,...

Browse Notion Reviews

• Industry: International Affairs

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

Amazing tool

it allowed us to create a GTD system and keep the rest of the team on track with all projects and the combination of urgent tasks across active projects to make every day productive

Pros

I liked the fact that we were able to create a fantastic GTD system (getting things done) that helps us keep track of our active projects, review tasks and collect all ideas and insights that get later categorized

Cons

their task management UI is less intuitive to use than notion, which makes us upset because it's the main reason we use notion, especially on mobile

Asana and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Notion

we switched because we felt constrained by the fact that the kanban system was the only way to structure a document

Reasons for Switching to Notion

cost (we're in the free tier), colleagues recommendations and perceived ease of setup

Reviewed on 21/08/2020

The ultimate knowledge sharing tool

I tried Notion first with it came out. I did not made the switch from Evernote, my personal "knowledge base" at the time. Then I gave it a second chance after seeing it being used by productivity experts and was actually amazed. My personal workflows changed from day one. I could not stop thinking into turning more parts of my life into ordered processes. I dumped my yearly account on Evernote right away. Then I pushed it to be used in my new founded company. We managed to organize ALL the company inside Notion. I continue to be impressed

Pros

The product is just right. They got it at a somewhat unexpectedly hard problem: note taking is not about note taking, but about mental models and processes. They got it right. They added the features those app needed, to replace whole tools categories such as project management and tracking, knowledge databases ... even no-code public site drafting! The care they put into the product is amazing, full of details. The community and templates, amazing. UX is great from onboarding.

Cons

There are some missing features. Mainly, an API to boost integrations; that will be great. Also, databases, formulas, relations ... need a few second-level yet-important features. All that is in the roadmap, so I'm happy to wait.

Rekha C.

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Best tool for all your productivity needs

Notion is one of the best tools for personal / team productivity. All the features of Notion makes the user experience very intuitive. It allows users to customize the content with full freedom for creativity. I cannot recommend Notion enough.

Pros

Notion is very versatile; it has all the basic blocks like text, check-lists, tables, Kanban boards, and Calendar and they can be customized to fit the needs of the User. It also allows some mathematical and logical operations in tables and it is very handy in automating project management and workflow. It is very easy to add new content using Template feature and we can also import pages from other workspaces. The markdown elements make note-taking seamless. The advanced blocks like Table of Contents and Breadcrumbs make navigation much easier. Notion also has some AI capabilities as it can understand text like 'remind next Thursday at 3pm'.

Cons

The advanced features such as logical operations and rollups in Notion databases require some learning curve. There is no 'Empty Trash' feature so deleting content is somewhat painful in Notion.

Top Notion Alternatives

Olakunle O.

Reviewed on 18/04/2021

Notion reflects how I think

Notion is one of the few tools that I open up daily to get a sense of where I am. Though it lacks some power and reputation of tools like Evernote, it makes up in an innovative approach to capturing ideas. I don't find myself trying to remember tags or keywords because the information is exactly where I need it to be within a few clicks.

Pros

Notion just makes sense to me. As a data-driven individual, I am always thinking about how what I do relates to each other. The ability to use database-driven linkages between articles, tables, notes, media, and bookmarks helps Notion work as my second brain. Information isn't siloed into folders or hierarchies and thus becomes more functional. Outside of work collaboration, Notion is my go-to for personal organization.

Cons

People either hate or love Notion and I understand. The biggest drawback is the learning curve. Though intuitive to me as someone who works with and manages databases, I understand that it's not as easy to get up and going. There is a lot to learn to really maximize your ROI and some teams won't have the time to step back from work to really dive into a new way of thinking.

Audrey R.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

This app is an all-in-one that can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.

I work at a University and Notion is free with an @edu account, so I feel very lucky to get to use this for free.
First off, it's super helpful that they provide templates for common things you might want to do organized by categories: Design, Education, Engineering, Human Resources, Marketing, Personal, and Product Management. It also provides a selection of user-created templates. Amazing! So, as a beginner, you can play around with a template to start learning the ropes and possibilities. And the possibilities are ENDLESS.

I think my first use case was to use the official Pokedex template that Notion provides. #nerd I play Pokemon Go, so I modified it to track my dex, but also keep track of the Luckies, Shinies, and trades I have lined up. I embarrassingly use this page the most. I created my own templates for Home Repairs (a CRM, Timeline, and budget) and Home Maintenance checklists for the entire year. I planned a trip that I shared with friends that included Places, Events, and Shopping Lists. And finally, have been trying to use it to replace my Google Spreadsheets for family finances and budgeting. Like I mentioned in the Cons, it's a bit tricky to get it set up exactly like I have it in spreadsheets, but I'm prone to overcomplicating things, so it's to be expected. I am at times thrown off by how slow it can become, but since the latest update that addresses this, I don't know that I've noticed the lagging anymore. I still am pretty motivated to keep using it.

Pros

- Pre-made templates, both official and user-generated
- Mostly intuitive (more complex relational database stuff requires more planning/experimentation)
- Kind of like a combination of Evernote, Google Docs/Spreadsheets, Trello, Journal, and website all integrated together. Plus all sorts of other things I haven't even tried yet.
- Customizable features like emoji and page banners
- Can import from Evernote, Asana, Trello, GDocs, Word, Dropbox, and other formats.
- Create teams to share pages with
- Can now create flowcharts, wireframes, and mind maps!

Cons

- Has been known to lag and slow down your device quite a bit. (However, a 2/2020 update may have fixed this.)
- Spreadsheets are a little tricker than what I'm used to when using Google Spreadsheets. I feel it takes more work to get the result/flexibility you might want.

Theodore k. L.

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

My Resource, Task and Workflow Dashboard of Choice

In using Notion on a daily basis, it is a hub for my activities.

Pros

There is so much to like about Notion. From the ease of use to the abundance of data and input types. The relational database features are so powerful and intuitive. It's hard not to use it ... a huge part of my daily workflow.

Cons

Still waiting on a public facing API to expand the existing potential of Notion.

Coda

Reasons for Choosing Notion

It was time. The creation model of Notion just feels more natural to my workflow. Evernote became just a place to archive information, no longer any use case.

Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Notion

Notion offered a desktop and mobile app. Then once I started using it I was hooked.
Jorge N.

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

Notion its a MUST for Agencies or Freelancers

Keep track of all ours internal and projects TODO's. The platform gives the ability to my team to communicate in real time to keep a good follow up of the activities.

Pros

This help us to organize all our work and company. We have serveral dashbords to keep track of the most important TODOS inside our company and all our clients. It offers a solid structure to keep all ours TODOS, Client files, KPIS, Meeting notes, etc, but it depends on a good foundation you must build for long term.

Cons

It takes time to make the right format for your company. Notion offer a lot of templates but at first its complicated to visualize the whole thing you need to link between the dynamic databases. When you start to master it, its easy and a solid structure.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Notion

I have a small team and notion cover all my needs with a good pricing per user.
Maciej N.

Reviewed on 07/02/2021

Your command center

I use it to plan and track my professional and personal life. The power of this app lies in its customization capabilities.

Pros

Notion is an app that allows you to plan, coordinate, log and manage various activities - professional and personal. It is a powerful app and there is nothing like it on the market.

Cons

There is a somewhat steep learning curve, but that is because Notion greets you with "here you have some building blocks, you can build anything you like". It may be intimidating at first. Yet Notion gives you many great templates to start with and you may find many videos to learn how to use it.

Panos T.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 11/04/2020

The Swiss knife of collaboration and management software

We are in a position to manage complex projects while including context information about the project and its elements in a non-intrusive manner. We can manage projects and at the same time update and expand the information we gather for various elements using one system. Magic!

Pros

The ability to have any type of process, project concept and issue managed by a team of people in a simple and easy to use platform with options to connect from a computer, mobile phone or tablet.

Cons

It does not have an external directory of templates where users can upload templates they develop for their own projects.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Notion

Trello is an excellent agile tool overall but it does not have the necessary depth for complex projects.

Reasons for Switching to Notion

Notion combines many types of functionality that are not available or easy to use with Asana.
Erick D.

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Essential to my life

I use Notion mostly to manage my personal life, but also to take notes and manage my work in a way that it's simple enough not take up too much of my time, but also complex in a degree I don't feel held back by it's limitations (which exists, obviously).

Pros

It's incredible what Notion can make with so little. It's more than a notepad, but less than a spreadsheet. This way it has the right complexity for you to take care of your life, side projects, business or work and even simple management.

Cons

The Android app doesn't have the same quality standard hold by the Windows app. It's heavy, take a long time to update your pages and from time to time crashes.

Reviewed on 18/08/2021

Great for organizing notes and collaborating with teams

Pros

Notion provides great features for free. It's great for organizing notes and documents, which is a nice alternative to Google Docs. The collaborative elements are impressive.

Cons

Some limitations of the free version, including how many team members you can add. Price is hard to justify for basic needs.

Tshepo M.

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

Notion Rocks

I feel every business should have a Notion account. It is versatile, easy to use, a customizers heaven. Plus I have fell in love with the Icon stile, it is different from almost all other tools and bring a breath of fresh air.

Pros

The first thing that stands out is the price, It's insanely cheap given the value that you are getting.
When you first open the application it seems bland and boring but as soon as you realize the potential your first thought is to hop back to the pricing page to see if you didn't misread the price (that's what I did).

Easy to get started and super easy to use, I also feel that it's over capacitated (there's nothing I personally has looked for and didn't find and then some).

Cons

I'm trying hard to come up with just one thing that I feel the platform needs to improve and seriously I'm stuck. I'm not saying there isn't one but for me personally I haven't found one.

Rachel S.

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Productivity Lifeline

Pros

We love how customization with Notion is exceptional. We have spent the last year using and building out our database. Specifically, it has enabled us to include cross-department documentation/wiki, a detailed product roadmap, and add project management details at a granular level. Notion has made it simple for us to provide Clarity on a Team and Company level. Additionally, I love that I can keep a Private section for my own personal notes. Notion keeps me productive, organized, and sane!

Cons

There was quite a learning curve to building out our content, but Notion's Support guide is very robust and helpful if you have the patience to learn.
We often use Notion for building project tasks on a very granular level, and we frequently add individual boards to a project page. However, when opening up individual tasks from the page/board view there isn't a simple way to get back to the original page/task view. A small and minor annoyance, and more of a personal navigation preference.

Nic R.

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Everyone should have Notion

Great. It's easy to use, simplistic and so satisfying to create pages and elements.

Pros

Everything. There is not one thing about Notion that I don't like. I use it everyday to track my development progress, networking groups, daily tasks, notes, website links, etc.

Cons

I have been sitting here for 10 minutes going through my Notion and trying to figure out what I don't like about the software... But there isn't, I love this product and I will gladly promote it to everyone who I think could benefit from it.

Yassine A.

Reviewed on 08/06/2021

Notion took my organization to the next level

I use notion with my team to collaborate on some tasks to quickly progress on projects and we do that using a Kanban board inside notion, and I love the fact that it’s possible to share just a specific page with other members instead of the whole workspace because I have a mix of both personal and work-related stuff inside my workspace.

Pros

Notion is like my second brain, all my meeting notes and travel plans are organized inside notion and I even use it for my daily to-do list. They offer a great desktop and iPhone app that allows me to use it wherever I am and everything is synced instantly, the prebuilt templates are super useful whenever I need to add a new page to my workspace.

Cons

they recently launched their public API and it’s possible to integrate it with other services via zapier but it's still a beta and very limited, I believe this will not be a problem anymore in the near future because they’re actively working on it to add more features.

Reviewed on 29/08/2021

Fantastic tool to organize your business and personal life

I use this tool all the time amd recommend everyone else to use jt

Pros

Ease of use to setup things. The simplicity of how everything can be laid out

Cons

A few bugs here and there but it seems like they’re always upgrading the product to be better.

Jason H.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

Notion is a godsend! Amazing! Way more than it looks like!

I've been using software for my entire life. I have extensively used every major OS, and I was one of the first people to own an iPhone with the App Store on it. In my opinion, this is the most meaningful and useful piece of software ever written. I'm not exaggerating, this software has more potential than anything I've ever used. You can seriously organize your life, business, and hobbies with this so easily. It's like having a $30,000 website custom developed for you in an afternoon. But better because you actually understand it!

Pros

It's easy to use, but still INSANELY rich in features.
It allows you to create custom databases, and display them in different places and different ways, very easily, all with point and click interfaces.
You can use it to set up a simple todo list, or you can make an extremely awesome company Intranet/Internal CRM or CMS from it.
It's like being able to make your own apps with zero programming needed.
If you like Evernote, this is that on steroids, and designed better too.

Cons

Almost every major thing I can think of is already being done well. The one thing it really needs, which I know is already on the horizon, is a public API for integrations. Once that is possible the possibilities with this app will be truly endless.

One more small nitpick that comes to mind is being able to make links (to other pages, databases, etc) be a little bigger or have a thumbnail version that shows the picture (sort of how like gallery items show up).

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

A great alternative to Asana

I love Notion and have recommended it many times to collegues.

Pros

I've been using Notion in an Asana-like, task tracking mode. I keep it pulled up daily to make sure I get things done and can track the status of projects and tasks. But it can do SO MUCH MORE...

Cons

It can be a little bit tedious to get things set up in the beginning, but that is mostly due to the fact it is so flexible and expandable.

Victor F.

Reviewed on 09/12/2020

Get your things done in one place

The main reason I choose Notion is because I was tired of searching for a enormous list of applications to use just one functionality. So, with this in hands I am capable of use a lot of functionality from Google Drive (Storage and share files), from Trello (Project Managment), from Budget Track and many others tools without use them precisely.

Pros

Be capable of store and write resources that I will need in the future. It is easy to create relations between pages and therefore recover information

Cons

The block schema for writing sometimes is hard to handle, because often I need to insert a tag word to just write some different text type. Also, I am craving for more customization, like other fonts types

Kaarel R.

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Love the customisability

Our company has built all of it's roadmaps on Notion and we often use it for noting and planning down company-wide events.

Pros

Notion is very flexible and lets you fully customise the structure of pages, cards and almost every feature that you can use.

Cons

The performance of Notion on a mobile device (Android at least) is lacking. It does not often open and you have to restart it to get it working.

Daniel V.

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

To be perfect it lacks only buttons, automations and integrations (with and without API)

Exceptional. I really love the product and became one of it's fiercest advocates. But had to go to Coda since the GTD system I was trying to build required more integrations.

Pros

Notion has the best UX I have ever seen. Extremely friendly to use and fun to learn. Neat, clean, and powerful.

Cons

It could only get better if it had buttons, automations (time-triggered and event-triggered ) and integrations (2 way sync calendars, packs and APIs)

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

All-in-one project management tool!

My overall experience with notion has been amazing. Setup was not too confusing at all and being able to use the product anywhere (even mobile) has been phenomenal.

Pros

I love notion because of its intuitive interface and cross platform capabilities. I can use it on my mac or on my phone and be able to easily work on various items that my team is working on and track their activity. It also allows me to store different types of files from PDF's to forms for data collection.

Cons

I least liked that notion's pricing model is confusing and it took me a while to actually understand the difference between the monthly and yearly pricing structure and how I was to be billed.

Reasons for Switching to Notion

It was promoted from another group to try this out and we are glad we did.
Leah W.

Reviewed on 21/04/2021

Helpful for planning, but challenging for collaboration

I like it as my personal organizational tool, but I dislike collaborating on a project with others using it. I much prefer Asana for project management and will be going back to that tool.

Pros

I love that there are database options, it's a pleasure to write in, and get ideas out of your head and into a digital place to act on them.

Cons

Everything I dislike comes down to collaboration. I find the notifications inaccurate and setting up recurring reminders for project subtasks is a challenge. I also find it difficult to have a conversation with other team members to discuss an item in Notion.

Sung L.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Notion is a great project management tool for your professional or personal life. Quick and...

Notion is a great project/task management software. It can be used for many things due to its flexibility (clean slate with various functions/features). It can take a little longer than other software to start off. However, once you master the basic, it is a powerful tool which can further expand.

Pros

Even the basic person of the software, which is free, the features and customization possible is amazing. With so many templates and fuctions avaible, you can customize notion into a tool for various use, from tracking travel, work schedule, learning tracking software, so many options.

Cons

With so many features, it can be somewhat overwhelming to use in the beginning. Maybe a tool tips or examples to show for certain features might be good to have as an option, which you can turn off later after you get used to the system.

Coën V.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

Keeping track of my overthinking

I didn't know what to do with notion first. If first it seemed like a simple note taking app. Until I found out that you practically can do anything with it when it comes to data.
It helps me keep on track on my daily tasks and also is a good mind dump. Whatever crosses my mind is written down here and later sorted inside here.
Love notion as a cost effective product with an high impact on your productivty.

Pros

- being able to link notes and folders to each other
- being able to set meta data/tags on notes to keep track on them
- being able to search and sort
- being able to generally manage my thoughts, projects and stuff without losing my mind

Cons

So far I have not found anything that bothers me. Maybe offline access to basic notes.