About SimplePractice

SimplePractice is a cloud-based practice management system built to make the business side of private practice easier. Our easy-to-use and HIPAA-compliant software helps health and wellness professionals automated their day-to-day...

Browse SimplePractice Reviews

2,525 of 2,525 reviews
Amanda G.

Reviewed on 07/08/2019

Simple Practice saved me!

Truly a lifesaver. I feel like I am not a business person, but simple practice simplifies so many aspects of this.

Pros

I love all of the things that the developers decided to incorporate in this platform. You can upload your business documents, any documents relevant to your client records and so much more. I have created questionnaires that are specific to my practice so that I can gather data upfront and this prevents me from missing out on money. I love the integration for scheduling appointments, telehealth and billing and invoicing. If you want to streamline your practice, this is for you.

Cons

Clients cannot pay partial balances in their client portal yet, those payments have to be taken in the office.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Simple practice had many more needed features.

Response from SimplePractice

Amanda, thanks for your positive review. We're proud to give you the back office you need to run a professional practice. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any additional feedback you have. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nichole M.

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

Love this practice management system and it keeps getting better

Simple Practice is an all one solution for small private practices- it's not only a user friendly electronic health record, but an insurance billing platform, staff tracking if you have independent contractors or employees, secure messaging system, telehealth platform, source for quality continuing ed, weekly inspiration, revenue tracking, and all the tools you need for a easy digital client onboarding process.

Pros

As an experienced clinician and small private practice administrator I find this software easy to use and the SP team really does take user feedback seriously and updates and adds features regularly. The roll outs of changes are thoughtful, with good lead times, and always a net improvement in user experience (so far). Reports are detailed enough for me to keep an eye on revenue, independent contractor services, and I can easily update forms and communicate with team members and clients confidentially. Also, online scheduling and the Client portal make client onboarding a breeze without hiring a receptionist.

Cons

I wish I could run reports based on services provided and/or detail of services provided to clients with specific payors.

CareLogic Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I previously had a lot of experience with Care Logic when working for a larger agency. SP offers a much simpler and tech savvy solution for a small practice.
Heather S.

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

Simple Practice is very popular but the costs and business practices drove me away

I used SP for about 8 months until I switched due to the cost, slow customer service response times, and lack of formatting options for consents and other documentation.

Pros

SP was very easy to use, easy to set up, and moderately customizable for those who are computer illiterate, integration with Stripe.

Cons

The price increases, the inability to change calendar colors, inability to format consent forms and notes with more question types and rich text formatting, the fact that calendar sync went into only the highest price plan, customer support is ATROCIOUSLY SLOW.

Top SimplePractice Alternatives

Trevor S.

Reviewed on 06/05/2022

I would strongly encourage to not use this product

I have researched at least 15 different platforms and have settled on SP as it is too difficult at this point to move my practice as I don't have the time. I would not recommend this product to anyone and find the manner in which the SP staff interacts when questioned to be problematic and defensive.

Pros

The EHR is relatively easy to use if you keep things simple. Additionally, the billing aspects of the software appears to work 1/2 the time.

Cons

The list is almost endless:
-NO customer service unless you email them and pray that they will return the email with an answer that does not even address the question.
-The video platform is maybe 20% functional. It is inconsistent and spotty. Most of the time, I have to have patients use FaceTime due to glitches.
-The video platform often goes down and SP does not alert you to the outage until you reach out and then they tell you the next day that it went down but is now back up.
-Did I mention the customer service is worse than the DMV?
-The latest price increase required that one pay 20.00 more per month to allow the calendar to sync with google (which was an option in the previous build) which then forces the therapist to keep two calendars.
-Templates are horribly basic and very complicated/impossible to modify

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Trevor - Thank you for your feedback. Aside from offering email support, we do also offer live chat and phone support. Both of these options will allow you to connect with our Customer Success Team immediately and all three options allow you to continue a conversation with our team until you receive an answer to your question. Additionally, our team can assist with any Telehealth issues that you may be experiencing and will determine the source and resolution of the issue within your Help Request. To contact our Customer Success Team via phone or chat, click on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > choose either phone or chat. -Sara

Replied 11/05/2022
Luis M.

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

Expensive but (almost) worth it

SimplePractice is very good software for mental health. However, all the options and features lead to complexity. This isn't necessarily bad design - it's simply that there are so many things the software does that there is a lot to learn. Even if you're good with software, implementing the whole package in the condensed time frame required for starting up means that there are times when you'd love to talk with a support rep. It's not that it isn't physically possible to speak to a live person about using the software. It's that by the time you actually hear from a live person, you've either solved it on your own through hours of your own labor, found a work-around, or decided not to use the feature you needed help with.

Pros

Robust and configurable. Every feature I can think of, that a mental health practitioner might need, is part of this product. Every part of your practice is configurable, from intake documents to discharge documents. Credit card processing? Yes. Online scheduling? Check (it even produces code for your website, so you can have people book appointments directly from your website). Revenue summaries? Yes. Client attendance reporting? Yes, that too. This review isn't the place to make a comprehensive list of features - but it is the the place to make the point that the feature list is comprehensive.

Cons

SimplePractice offers different pricing tiers, so you can use as much of the software as you're willing to pay for. But, IMnsHO, what's the point of choosing the most robust software if you're not going to use the high-end (expensive) option? So, I pay (as of this writing) $99/mo to use the software.

You'd think that princely sum would enable the occasional conversation with a support team member. It may, but I haven't been able to see how to do it. Have a look at the SimplePractice website and see if you can find a number to call for support. I could not.

To be fair, they have a large number of videos which clearly explain how to use the software. They're very good, especially if you know which video you need to watch. Bottom line is when you're working a bunch of hours, stressed by carrying a full case load, trying to implement this very comprehensive software, you could use a friendly hand on the phone with set-up. At least, I could.

Instead, I got (best case) 48 hour turnaround to emailed questions. For $99/mo, I feel like I should be able to call them now and again.

Brittney G.

Reviewed on 08/12/2021

Lovely!

Pros

A ton of features come with this software; I love having the ability to see clients, exchange paperwork, take payments, and manage my administrative duties all in one program.

Cons

The video capabilities could use some updating. There is not screenshare option as of yet.

TherapyAppointment and TheraNest

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Sharenote had outdated, confusing user capabilities. The video platform was inconsistent.

Sharenote

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Promotion codes, word of mouth
Michelle G.

Reviewed on 16/05/2022

Review of SimplePractice

Pros

This software is fairly easy to use and makes tracking income, clients, document access through the portal and scheduling much easier and streamlined which saves me time and money.

Cons

There are many features I do not need or use however I still pay for them. Also the Stripe fees for credit card processing take a huge chunk of the client's fees that I do not get even though I earned the money.

• Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 08/06/2022

Good software for scheduling and managing therapy appointments and billing

Very positive

Pros

Makes signing documents and scheduling appointments very easy and straightforward. I can easily see all of my bills and claims, as well as HIPAA releases I've signed.

Cons

The billing and documents section can sometimes group multiple claims together which can be confusing.

Ben D.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Reviewed on 04/06/2022

Secure Therapy

Pros

I liked that it was simple to use. I don't want to struggle with software in order to go to my therapy appointments. This takes the hassle and gives me fewer excuses to miss my appointments.

Cons

It would be nice to have an app or something to help with appointment reminders. As I said, my busy schedule sometimes makes me forget when I schedule things (but I can always check here).

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Great appointment scheduling software

Pros

Very easy to use. Easy to upload documents if necessary. Detailed reports. Makes onboarding of clients easy. Easy billing.

Cons

It's an expensive software. Glitches in the system from time to time.

Debbie O.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

Overall

Simplepractice is an all-in-one HIPAA-compliant program that has been life-changing regarding the management of my practice. It has allowed me significantly more time to treat patients and less time with administrative tasks such as generating paper claims and statements. Initially, there was an incredible learning curve when my previous practice management program did not cooperate in assisting with the transfer of a large amount of data. Simplepractice allowed me the extra time needed beyond the 30-day trial period to manually enter the data. I am so thankful to know about Simplepractice.

Pros

-Completely HIPAA compliant
-I now prepare and submit claims within minutes and know almost immediately of any errors or need for resubmission
-Electronic claims submissions result in the quick return of payments
-Collections are minimal with the ability to process payments with the internal credit card company
-Charting progress notes is standardized and easy with a "load previous note" function
-The compatibility with my phone and tablet is wonderful, especially with the dictation to text function
-I can develop my own forms specific to the needs of my specialty
-Patients easily access the friendly portal and quickly complete and return office forms
-Support through chat, email, shared audio/visual screen, and now phone is timely with knowledgeable and friendly representatives

Cons

-The program only allows for one supervisor per intern and is not amenable to a satisfactory work around
-All therapist's calendars are visible to all team members
-Lacks functional use of invoices as most know them
-Cannot send group emails or notify the entire caseload of information to be shared by the practice

Jean J.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Simple Practice for SLP

Overall would recommend to anyone with a small practice who is willing to put the time/effort into creating their own templates.

Pros

Overall this software is very intuitive. It's relatively easy to customize and I love having my documentation in billing all in one place for such a low cost. The customer services is exceptional. Anytime I have a question I simply send a message and link and I have a helpful response within 24 hours.

Cons

As a pediatric SLP, I have had to create my own templates for pretty much everything due to insurance requirements and the nature of my assessment and treatment. This can be time consuming for sure. I would love to be able to use the telehealth software, but I really need to be able to give the kids remote control in order to keep them engaged and as far as I know that isn't a feature at this point. The billing can get confusing, but the customer service has been incredibly helpful with this and I feel it's mostly due to the complexity of the billing for that client more so than the software.

Fusion

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Started my own (single provider) practice and found Simple Practice to be much more affordable and intuitive.

Primarily cost
Mark senyo A.

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

simplifies all processes to a level that allows us to focus on actual client care

Simple practice was introduced to me and my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] during a medical conference we attended during the early stages of setting up our private practice. Thankfully, it came at a time when we were still developing our core processes and workflows, so it was able to shape our systems right from the very beginning.

Pros

Simple Practice is very easy to learn and get comfortable using. All the various features easily link up to others that follow or proceed in the logical process of service delivery, making product navigation extremely user friendly and smooth.

Cons

The period allowed for the free trial is a bit short and does not allow potential buyers enough time to test all the core elements before having to make a decision on whether to purchase or not.

OnCall Health

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Simple practice had a more comprehensive set of features and more applicable uses for the stage we were in as a new practice

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The recommendations we received from our network of associates and administrators were in favor of Simple Practice
Claire M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Simplifies EVERYTHING

Overall, it's been great! I was reluctant at first to pay what seemed like a lot of money at the time but they offer a world of information, tools, and resources to help with your business. It's a brilliant idea that is, for the most part, very well-executed.

Pros

SP is great for having everything you need to run a practice in one place. I have an app on my phone that I can use to quickly check my schedule, send reminders to clients and cancel, change, or add appointments. They have a good "reports" option so that you can see outstanding invoices, insurance claims, etc. plus a number of other categories. I really love how easy SP makes it to submit insurance claims. I don't want to do that by hand nor do I want to hire someone to do it for me so I really appreciate that. I like that clients can request appointments and that all of their info is in one place. SP was very quick to respond to COVID and I appreciate the HIPAA compliant telehealth platform they created during the pandemic at no additional charge. They have extensive training videos but I am mostly self-taught as that's how I learn best. They also offer pretty good CEU classes for not much money about a variety of topics. And, if you're like me and find it hard to sit for the entire class at once, they will email you reminders that you have unfinished classes which is always helpful.

Cons

It is very difficult to actually speak to customer service. I spend a LOT of time typing in questions and then wading through what others have also asked about and the answers they got. Real time waster since we all word the issues differently so you get many irrelevant answers to try to parse. Half the time I can't remember how to get someone to actually chat with me - when they do it seems to work fine but can also be cumbersome depending on what the issue is.

Alicia K.

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

WebPT, HelloNote and Fusion

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.
Daren C.

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Great Overall, but Their Settings Menu Needs Work

My experience has been good overall. I think they make a lot of aspects of treatment easy which is good given their name. I don't like very many EHR's in the world because all they care about is practice management and are pretty terrible for high-volume clinical tasks - which makes them indirectly quite expensive in terms of labor to use. I think SimplePractice is a good balance between the two - though their reporting and practice management is still pretty weak.

Pros

I really like their balance between practice management and clinical documentation for a small practice, as well as the degree of customization for forms and documents.

Their portal is pretty easy for clients to use (I rarely get people having trouble with it).

I like their booking widget for my website.

The telehealth video/audio quality is very good.

Their help database is one of the better ones I've seen, lots of great articles and clear instructions that seems to be kept up to date.

Cons

Their settings menu is not intuitive and you have to hunt around to find the setting you are looking for.

CEU offerings are not on topics of interest to me.

Their clearinghouse doesn't have one of the carriers I need.

Reporting and practice management tools are weak.

Their paid therapist collaboration group where potentially sensitive information is discussed is hosted by Facebook (perhaps the most untrustworthy and unethical software company on the planet) AND they charge us to be invited to participate on a platform that doesn't cost SimplePractice any money to host other than maybe some moderating? That doesn't align well with the brand reputation and quality of SimplePractice and isn't really a good value for the money (in my opinion).

TherapyNotes, ZenCharts, TheraNest and Kareo Clinical

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

For the reasons I described in my overall experience.
Erin F.

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

A step in the right direction for our group practice.

So far, very excited, very pleased with your customer service and overall happy that we made the jump from three separate software over to one. Please see the comments above, in regard to your calendar which -- is the main criticism for your software. I would be happy to follow up on my ideas via email.

The overall cost for simple practice technically isn't saving us any money, but it is saving lots of time.

Pros

I love how FAST and transparent the claims billing and processing experience is. It takes just moments to file and send information out to insurance companies. Whereas we used to have to manually work back and forth from various accounts when using our previous EHR program.

I love the reporting features. We can cut out having to manually track information in excel sheets because Simple Practice makes it available to us at any time. This helps us to track claims, understand our financials and to keep on target with our clients' copays and claims.

The dropdown menus featured, to pull up information on a specific clinician, and pull up their practice information, clients and more is SUCH a great feature for managing our group practice.

Did I mention, that sending claims is easier than ever? - this ease alone is what has me and my team jumping for joy.

Cons

I don't like your calendar. This is where things seem to go awry for myself and our clinicians. I think that you guys would benefit by updating and creating a much more user-friendly experience with more control and detail from the calendar.

Before making the change to Simple Practice, our office utilized and paid for Acuity Scheduling. While we totally understand that things would naturally be different from one program to the other, we were, and continue to be baffled and very confused with your calendar programming. Especially using it as a group practice.

The calendar is very unorganized, there really is no detail and it technically takes us 2-3 minutes longer to schedule new clients because you do not offer a drop-down box or mini-calendar to select from in order to see available times. I also cannot stand, the way that when you click in an availble slot in the day view, it defaults to the very minute -- 60 minute sessions need to begin on the hour, and when we are selecting the date, we are having to correct it from " 5:15 pm" to "5:00 pm".

Managing therapists schedules is also a pain. I would like to see an overhaul to your calendar that features new availability designation, new appointment selection, and one that works based on the times and hours that each therapist states for their own schedule. I want to see more control int he calendar.

End request: Create a much better, user friendly calendar!

Nicolais C.

Reviewed on 01/11/2019

Great software - could use some simple features

Good. Some key features that I wish were present with billing graphics and information, which I mentioned in the cons section. If these upgrades/changes could be made, I would rate SimplePractice as excellent.

Pros

I love the editable notes/forms and the online access! Client portal is also more streamlined and user friendly compared to competitors. Reports are nice and helpful for the most part. Free text and voice are nice (however you pay the difference with the higher cost of claim submission compared to competitors).

Cons

The billing tabs are difficult to understand as they don’t seem to be graphically easy to understand where each invoice is being applied. Looking quickly at the billing tab, it looks as if I have twice as many invoices than I actually need and some invoices, invoice for a zero balance (or even before an insurance payment is made). This makes the billing harder to understand than some of SimplePractice’s top competitors. Also, I wish the reports would show overall totals of figures (I.e. insurance payments owed, client balances owed, etc.). These features allow me to look quickly at client balances and billing and get an idea of where billing sits very quickly, and again, is a feature with competitors. Being a one man office right now, theses features save valuable time and seem like easy fixes to the system. I also wish Simple Practice had phone support - just for the fact that time is valuable and I don’t want to wait to resolve an question.

TherapyNotes and TheraNest

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Client Portal, online payments, editable forms that can be e-signed.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It was a hard decision over TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes has billing features and layout that is easier to understand. I went with SimplePractice because the client portal and online for,s are more accessible to clients and staff. Heads up though, in regard to features and accessibility, TherapyNotes is catching up to SimplePractice.
Jennifer W.

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

Satisfied with Current Services and Optimistic about Future Improvements

The primary reason I am using Simple Practice is for the insurance billing capabilities so I can make my life easier and not hire a biller.

Pros

I love the overnight billing with auto-pay and the entirely digital intake and consent forms.

Cons

I have encountered issues when trying to create insurance claims. Additionally, it is a bit pricey considering the fact that many of the offered services can be achieved through GSuite for $6 a month for HIPAA protected documentation and intake forms, and through Square Appointments (a service that comes free when Square is utilized for fee collection).

DocuSign, Stripe Billing and TheraNest

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I switched from Square and G suite once I got credentialed by insurance panels, as I needed to start billing insurance. Additionally, G suite was not created for private practice so it was a little chaotic and very DIY (and disorganized) and Square's hardware malfunctioned when WIFI signals were not strong - and charged 3.5% to manually charge without the card present.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Better reviews from other private practitioners, positive experience with 30 day free trial.
Braden D.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Excellent software, simple design

Overall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.

Pros

For me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).

Cons

I want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time.

I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers.

Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Overall most robust software with the best visual design at a reasonable cost.

Response from SimplePractice

Thank you for your positive review, Braden. We're glad that SimplePractice is the solution you chose for your practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 10/12/2019
Heather K.

Reviewed on 08/09/2019

Not Bad, but I miss Epic

So far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then.

I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.

Pros

There are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.

Cons

The templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document.

I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'.

I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Moved from a clinic to private practice

EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Two reasons: 1) I found a review that compared Simple Practice, Therapy Notes and one other small business EMR and Simple Practice compared favorably, and 2) A friend was using Simple Practice and I trust her recommendation.

Response from SimplePractice

Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 11/09/2019
Geoff G.

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Seamless transition, works exactly as described

Pros

- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great.
- Everything works, and loads fast
- UI is clear, intuitive
- Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great!

Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons

I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Functionality was inconsistent, user interface was slow and difficult at times

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

After talking to colleagues, I narrowed my decision down to TherapyNotes or SimplePractice. Both were reported to work well by those who used them. I chose SimplePractice because it seemed to be designed for individual clinicians rather than primarily for group practices (keeping it “Simple”) without skimping on necessarily functionality. Additionally, SimplePractice offers robust document management (clients can sign documents paper-free), and integrated secure videoconferencing. Perfect!

Response from SimplePractice

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 04/09/2019
Michelle H.

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.

In spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,

Pros

Simple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.

Cons

Simple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

Response from SimplePractice

Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Victoria F.

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There

Pros

I love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.

Cons

Sometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

TherapyNotes and Doxy.me

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I wanted a service that had both telehealth and an EHR system. I didn't want to switch services later.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The great things I've heard about Simple Practice, having experience with it in the group practice I work for and knowing its ease of use.

Response from SimplePractice

Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Casey C.

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Overall great software that could use a few improvements

Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros

Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons

Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

CounSol.com, TheraNest, VSee Clinic and Doxy.me

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It cost nearly twice as much and rarely worked as advertised. They offered credits, but I needed working software--they cost me clients.

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

All the features I needed were in one product with Simple Practice, onboarding is simple, and the price is fair.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 12/08/2019