About Pilot

Pilot is a cloud-based accounting solution that assists small to medium-sized businesses with financial reporting and cash flow analysis. Its key features include accounts payable/receivable, bookkeeping, data export, expense...

Browse Pilot Reviews

15 of 4,860 reviews
Darko M.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Pilot feels like having a great CPA in house, but more streamlined

It is like having a great CPA who grows to follow your needs as you grow.

Pros

Seem-less integrations
Great customer support
Worry-free automatization

Cons

It comes with a cost, but for us it is worth it to the last penny!

Ivo P.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 01/04/2021

No-brainer for any early stage startup

Early customer, very happy, not planning on changing anything

Pros

- Full stack of services needed by a startup - bookkeeping, CFO services, AR / AP, tax prep
- QBO integration
- Very knowledgable team
- Very responsive, straightforward communication
- Automation of bookkeeping all but eliminates manual errors, keeps costs down

Cons

Honestly not much I dislike. I used to have to work with multiple firms for tax prep and AR / AP services, but now I have everything under one roof and loving it.

Reasons for Choosing Pilot

Too many errors, cumbersome communication, too expensive

Reasons for Switching to Pilot

Used to be Bench did not work with QBO. Might be different now.
Greg W.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 03/04/2021

Bookkeeping and taxes suck. Let Pilot handle it!

Pros

Pilot interfaces with most of the popular financial SaaS platforms and offers amazing customer support. They made it easy for us to toss the backoffice keys over to them so we could focus on building the business.

Cons

Certain actions and configurations on the various SaaS platforms require manual resolutions by either my team or through working with a Pilot representative. Fortunately, the Pilot team is very quick to respond and often resolves the issue with little or no interaction from us.

Top Pilot Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Abby S.

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Great solution for startups pre-finance hire

Overall, Pilot has been terrific. The Bookkeeping team is quick to respond and has been incredibly accommodating with time-sensitive requests from our team. The Tax Product has also been valuable and required much less oversight to manage than our prior tax filings.

Pros

Pilot allows us to focus on running our business without stressing about our books. Our Bookkeeping team highlights the transactions or trends we need to be aware of, allowing us to take action quickly and understand our financial status at a glance. I love Pilot because it gives me the peace of mind that our books are in order and that we have access to a team of professionals to steer us in the right direction. Finance and accounting can be unapproachable for a generalist, and Pilot makes bookkeeping and financial management comprehensible and actionable.

Cons

The portal to classify transactions and provide notes on unrecognized vendors or classifications continues to improve, but can be buggy.

Camilla H.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 01/04/2021

I tell all my founder friends to use Pilot!

Pros

Pilot is brilliant at doing exactly what it promises: taking over the accounting and back office work of running a company so that you (the founding team) can focus on actually building your product. Pilot also does an exceptional job delivering great value for much less than any of their competitors — a testament to the strength of their technology. Lastly, the humans at Pilot are amazing. Every time I’ve had a question, from the most basic to truly arcane accounting and tax questions, all I have to do is email my account manager and he proactively pulls in the needed expertise from the larger Pilot team. I am simply so grateful this service exists; it has fundamentally changed the way I get to run my company.

Cons

I’m excited to see what new features Pilot rolls out in the future. A founder community where we could ask accounting and finance related questions would be amazing, for example.

Reasons for Switching to Pilot

Better value for the price, better product, and better service. I know that Pilot can scale with my startup.
Sam R.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 01/04/2021

Great product after a few million in fundraising

Pros

This really simplifies the bookkeeping and has been a great tool and saves me a lot of time. Also the pricing is very transparent and predictable and we don't get slapped with large accounting bills out of the blue.

Cons

They do help with taxes but they don't have their own CPAs. I like to build relationships with my CPAs but they changed it without any notice and the next year I was filing my taxes I saw a different person in charge.

Caroline H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Excellent Accounting Services

The Pilot software and team has significantly upgraded my organization's accounting functionality and has given us a better view of our business's financial health.

Pros

Pilot's software enables my business to have a consistent, accurate view of its financial health without much need for input from my team beyond the initial set-up.

Cons

We use Pilot's add-on tax service, and it can feel like the two teams do not share information/communicate, resulting in needing to provide the same information multiple times.

Curt N.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Pricy but worth it

Positive - they have a great fractional CFO add on as well.

Pros

We switched from Bench to Pilot and we are very happy with the results. Pilot is a far more professional organization with better customer service and more accurate bookkeeping.

Cons

Time between month end and when we get our books is pretty long. We don't get our books until the ~25th of each month.

Max F.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 05/04/2021

Happy Customer: Bookkeeping, Tax, CFO, R&D

We started with Pilot Bookkeeping and have been adding on services (CFO, Tax, R&D) ever since due to our satisfaction with their services and their efficient, effective all-in-one approach.

Pros

As a fast-growing tech company, it was extremely important to us that we partnered with a like-minded firm on our financials. We don't have this expertise in-house, but for a fraction of the cost we've been able to outsource and automate enormous amounts of the legwork involved with our monthly reconciliation process, CFO/Board Reporting, Tax, and R&D filings. On top of that, Pilot continues to proactively create value for our business thanks to their talented team, wealth of knowledge with similar businesses as ours, and dedication to top-knotch customer service.

As the ultimate testimonial, I frequently recommend Pilot to other entrepreneurs and personal friends of mine.

Cons

My only regret is not working with them sooner! Pilot has saved me hundreds of hours through their highly technical, automation-forward approach to everything they do.

Reasons for Switching to Pilot

I especially loved that Pilot builds on top of existing accounting software like Quickbooks, rather than reinventing the wheel with some proprietary software, and was able to build models in Google Sheets vs. Excel, enabling much better collaboration.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Great Onboarding Experience and Ancillary Services

Our prior accountant closed unexpectedly and quickly and we were in a bind. From sales to onboarding to BAU support, the Pilot team has been incredibly responsive and patient with us as we uncovered mistakes that needed to be addressed asap.

Additionally, we realized that we needed some additional reporting for our board and discussed options with the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] services team. It was expensive (for us) but soooo worth it. The added insight that the team provides in addition to the reporting has been invaluable. We've had many conversations about our growth plans etc and I feel like they are an extension of our team.

We had recent conversations about leveraging PIlot for R&D Tax Credits. Although, we ultimately determined that we aren't ready to proceed at this point, I now know what we would need to have in place & the benefit should we decide to proceed in the future.

Pros

I'm someone that appreciates human interaction and Pilot makes it easy to engage with the team when I wanted to. I also love, love the dashboard it's easy to use and interactive.

Cons

I wouldn't say anything is missing - I would love to be able to generate reports directly out of Pilot instead of going to QBO - purely for aesthetic reasons because the format doesn't look the same as the monthly reports the team provides.

Lars A.
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Pilot is a helpful ally for a small business

Overall, I am very happy with the service that Pilot provides. I like the software that they offer and I'm excited to see how they continue to iterate and set an even higher bar.

Pros

A consolidated tool for both bookkeeping and tax preparation has been very helpful.
- Adding a new account or connection is easy
- I'm able to see the status of my corporate tax filing
- Contacting my tax representative is easy
- Vendors and transactions are in a centralized repository

I'm prompted for input once a month or when deadlines arrive to sort and code a short list of new vendors or unusual transactions, but otherwise the Pilot portal (and service) allows me spend more time focused on taking care of my employees and running the business.

Cons

I hope to see Pilot build out features for greater account customization and security in the coming months:
- Two factor authentication (2FA) or multi-factor authentication (MFA) made available
- Dashboard for updating email, password, security features
- Dashboard for adding/removing users and setting a security policy (ex: 2FA)
- Contact information for my bookkeeping team embedded into my Pilot dashboard the same way that it is for my Pilot tax team

Christopher S.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 05/04/2021

Pilot is your guide for all things bookkeeping

By using Pilot, I know that our books are always pristine and accurate, without needing to employ a large or expense team to do bookkeeping.

Pros

The aspect I enjoy most is the professionalism and responsiveness of the Pilot team. They are dependable month to month in getting our books out to us timely and accurately.

Cons

Pilot is building more and more automation, which hopefully will continue to reduce the number of one-off adjustments or tags that we have to do each month.

Tiffany M.

Reviewed on 10/06/2021

Time Saver

Pros

We use pilot for our bookkeeping needs and absolutely love it. It has made the handling of taxes in particular so much simpler. I love that it connects our accounts and takes some of the work-load off when it comes to running monthly reports.

Cons

There is not really anything I dislike about the software. At the end of the day, it is something that really makes our jobs easier.

Janaina S.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

best accounting service

Pilot is easy to use, it automatically connects to our accounts, and sends us monthly reports. They helped me save money. I don't spend more time on accounting and focus on other things.

Pros

easy to use, has simple to understand reports, synchronizes accounts and warns you if you have double payments helping you not to lose money

Cons

it has no negative points in my opinion, it is a great app

Thomson N.

Great for startups

Pros

* Lots of integrations
* Monthly check-in
* Works on top of Quickbooks

Cons

* Integration setup can be a hassle if you have a lot of vendors
* For non-SaaS companies, it'll require some additional setup to recognize revenue properly