About CANVAS

Canvas LMS from Instructure is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) specifically designed for K-5 on up through higher education institutions. Canvas LMS is a scalable platform that can be used by educational institution...

Browse CANVAS Reviews

2,208 of 2,208 reviews
Kelly B.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!

CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

Pros

While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

Cons

The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

Juliette R.

Reviewed on 29/08/2021

A Good Software with Minor Complaints

Overall, Canvas is a good software. I've used Blackboard before as well, but it was outdated and had a more confusing interface than Canvas. Canvas makes it easy to see and download assignments. The two minor issues with the software are the inconvenient mobile view and the notification settings.

Pros

Canvas is useful because I can see all of my coursework on one platform that is simple to use. I can organize my courses on the home page as I like, and when I click on the course, I can see modules, assignments, and tests attached to the course. Documents load very easily on Canvas, and I like being able to "preview" documents posted before downloading them.

Cons

I have two complaints about the Canvas software. First of all, the mobile version does not work well. I never downloaded the Canvas app, but did try to go on the website on my phone. The text was so small and the menus on the left side of the screen did not load well, so I could never use my phone to get on Canvas without the app. My other complaint with the software is that whenever anything was graded for a course, even if it was an older assignment, I'd get a notification. Perhaps this is just the settings set by the instructor and not Canvas itself, however.

Louisa C.

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative.

My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

Pros

I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

Cons

The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

Top CANVAS Alternatives

Kudzai K.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup

It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

Pros

The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself.

The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar for courses, account information, calendar, inbox and help. Your default home is your published and unpublished courses. On the courses tabs, are announcement and conversation icons that notify if a course has issues you need to attend to in a specific course.

The settings menu is straightforward with nothing cryptic even for non-technical people.

Setting up courses is a breeze with a 'Course Setup Checklist' button available inside each course shell you create. There is a walkthrough for each element of a course from content to publishing your course. If you have an existing course you can simply import the course with several formats supported including but not limited to Blackboard, Moodle and zip. For educators at various institutions, they can just import and customize where the need arises for the different institutions.

Assessment types include quizzes and assignments. It also integrates easily with other services like Google Drive, Office/Docs and others.

Cons

Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

A different vendor with different needs that best fit Canvas than Accord LMS.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

There was a need for something quick and easy to use for instructors without the need for having technical support on call all the time.
Michael C.

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market

When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pros

It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion boards, file integration, quizzes, announcements, custom pages, assignment options, html design). Classes are usually organized via pages and the "modules" page which allows the building of a customized course flow. If there is something you want to be able to post to your class website Canvas probably makes it possible, and most features have many options. Your online assignment settings can be highly customized with settings such as when the assignment in visible, what kind of submissions and documents are accepted, and what category of grade the assignment is. Likewise the online quiz/test maker is fairly robust, allowing for most question types, has some auto-grading capabilities, and offers taker-friendly features like question flagging, test timer, and unfinished question reminders. Perhaps one of its best features is its plug-ins. Canvas works with other popular providers to integrate their products into Canvas. Our school uses the very well-designed Zoom plug-in for scheduling and posting recordings for our virtual classes as well as others including WebEx and Kaltura.

Cons

While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable sidebar with major navigation links, but this is not "sticky" and so you may need to be scroll to find it on longer pages. While the online quizzes/tests are a step up for many platforms, like google forms, but not as robust as such an important feature could be. Matching questions have no easy way to tracked used answers, which can make questions with many options harder to track. Adding alternative answers for fill-in-the-blank questions can be cumbersome. Not all plug-ins are of equal quality either, but this is probably at least partly the responsibility of the developer. The mobile app works well in general but occasionally I have seen issues such as auto-rotating video screens or issues with certain quiz questions.

Magali S.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas

You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pros

The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow students easily. You can send an email to your teacher or start a chat with your classmates. Canvas is used by educational institutions for two purposes: either for creating courses that are taught exceptionally online or for blending the traditional way of teaching with online one. This platform is especially useful for students who always need to find all the material on their course online, including the textbooks, lectures, homework, individual works and of course, their grades and attendance. Canvas makes collaboration between teachers and students more effective and fruitful.

Cons

It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up.
The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements.
And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Pros

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.

Cons

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

Brittany P.

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career.

I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros

Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons

There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful if the reply comments could be in a file with the original comment of the discussion board. In one class, we have weekly discussions and the students of that subjects has to write a powerpoint to explain a character that defines it and the student who did not create that has to write comments for it. At first it was not much but later became very hard to locate the different power point comments due to the immense amount of reply comments.

Blake M.

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

This is what an LMS should be!

We switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.

Pros

This LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.

Cons

It could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.

Blackboard Learn, Blackbaud K-12 Solutions and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Schoology was a close second, mainly because of their workload planning, but the overall interface and the fact the many of our students will see Canvas when they go to college, it was the clear choice.
Mavares P.

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

The 21st century requires interacting, learning and living the virtuality

To reduce the distances between the participants and expand the possibilities and technological literacy of all.

Pros

The teaching of the 21st century requires a change in models and approach to learning. The change allows to reeplantear not only the contents of the subjects, moreover, the tools with which the teacher will have to share their experiences. It is very valuable to have a virtual space in which you can group: Class documents, videos, conferences, guides, questionnaires, tests, texts, messaging, links, e-mail, all online. The teacher, in this platform, also has the ability to qualify the different assignments and even make various qualifications in real time. The interaction can also include the representatives, who can also access, if they wish, the platform.
Through the "Collaborations", participants can work as a team their classroom projects, through group editing programs, which can be sent directly to Canvas. The personalization, organization and structure of the modules is very helpful for the participants to experience the different advantages of virtual training.

Cons

The platforms have generalized their use in such a way that it is easy to find them in different stages and school courses, as well as in undergraduate and postgraduate university studies. In the same way, the age of the instructors and of the participants varies considerably. When users are not able to interact with each other easily and quickly, they lose interest, not only for the course, but also for the platform, which translates into a considerable loss of effectiveness and impact of the same.
It would be fantastic if the teachers could have a cheaper version of the platform, but not be "tied" to large organizations, schools and universities, a kind of "private" virtual classroom that is managed and set almost entirely by the teacher, who will only have to enter his participants, in different classrooms, at the same time, and with an accessible cost.

Miguel R.

Reviewed on 05/04/2021

Canvas does an excellent job at providing resources and tools for education purposes

I used this software during my last two years of undergraduate school after my university transferred from Blackboard to Canvas. Canvas is very user friendly and getting acquaintance with the software was very easy as well. The overall experience during my last two years of undergraduate school was very pleasant and I sincerely hope that I encountered this software again in graduate school.

Pros

Canvas provides several features that allow students like me with a full 18 credit load to organize, access grades and assignments and keep track of the class process. One of my favorite and most used tool provided by Canvas has been the grade calculator tool; this tool allowed me to estimate my final grade in the class to measure the grade I had to obtain in the final exam to achieve a competitive average. Moreover, the software does a great job at notifying the due date for each assignment and also, letting you know when the professor posted the grade for the exams. Another one of my favorite features is the side bar with all the updates on gradebooks, notification and direct messages that allowed me to access all the features in a fast manner.

Cons

One of the features that needs improvement is the email notification tool. This tool sent large amount of double notifications anytime there was an update to the gradebook. Also, some browsers were not compatible with the Canvas software and would automatically cause troubleshooting of the different features offered by the software.

Awit V.

Reviewed on 04/01/2020

Canvas, the most user friendly LMS on the market!

CANVAS helped solve our previous issues with record accuracy and management. It's feature to download gradebooks at anytime was so efficient

Pros

It is user friendly, it's aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, it's accurate, makes work efficient, and the customer service team is exceedingly helpful and quick!

Cons

The things I didn't like about the software is actually now going to change. I recently received notification that starting 2020 there is going to be a global change on CANVAS interface. The changes I saw in the video introduction have addressed the majority of our issues with CANVAS grade book. For example, instructors can now set a feature within the gradebook to automatically deduct percentages for late submission assignments. In the past, the faculty would ask my Department to assist them in calculating late submission assignments, BUT now CANVAS will have a feature that faculty can pre-program it in themselves. AND they can also put the length of time the students can submit late assignments! This is great!

Blackboard Learn

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

Our home grown system made by our internal IT Department had issues. Items were getting deleted with every update to our system.

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

It's cost and it looked easy to use.
Jeramy C.

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

Stable, easy to use, and performs like a champ!

Canvas is the LMS used by my University. As an instructor, I have had the opportunity to use the softweare for about 5 years. I have also completed a degree in an online program using the tool. I have always found it to be very reliable; most challenges I have incountered have been user error and not often software error. There are many add ons to customize the software and it is pretty easy and straight forward in terms of user for both faculty and student.

Pros

Very stable and reliable. In 5 years of using the software, there are just a few times I can recall that there have been some downtime; and never more than a shot period. Canvas is a standard among universitites, and students are able to quickly learn how to use the tool and submit their coursework. They also have stellar support, 24/7. The challenges I have encourtered has been more in terms of o

Cons

There are some things that could be enganced in terms of features to make the tool even better. As Canvas is a large company, suggestions for new features goes to a board and the community votes and considerations are based on how much support from the community board. While a good way to reach people, I suspoect most people do not take the time to visit this board and read throyugh suggestions to make recomendations. Seems like they could get more info from user based focus groups who could lend insights on new features and enhancements.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Canvas: College Master Software

I used Canvas throughout my entire college career, as my university implemented it in nearly every class curriculum. Though I was just one user in a sea of thousands, Canvas made my collegiate experience much easier, as I didn't have to slog through harsh weather or schedule rushed appointments to meet my professors—I could just check online or send them a message I knew they'd see. Would recommend for any college professor (as long as you're consistent with its use).

Pros

Canvas allows professors and students to create, upload, edit, and discuss academic assignments and projects with ease. It's almost like a social media profile—you can chat with other students and ask your professors questions, even while you're at home. You can upload assignments through the Internet and reference rubrics and the syllabus. Group projects become significantly easier, because everyone can be assigned specific roles to complete. Canvas removes the need for finding a time and place that works for everyone—just plug in a deadline and the rubric and you're good to go.

Cons

The only issue I have with Canvas is that it relies entirely on user input. If you use Canvas for every class, but one professor decides not to upload the syllabus, then you cannot reference it and might be out of luck over the weekend. Consistency is the key to Canvas's success.

Reviewed on 22/05/2019

Don't look anywhere else

Pros

If you've got the right people, it's hard to go wrong. Let's be clear...Instructure has the best people in the LMS industry. The software just works and the team at Instructure is a natural extension of my team.

Canvas just works and I do not have to worry about issues. In the rare occasion there is a problem, the team is on it by the time I notice it.

Cons

They are #1 in the LMS industry now. The concern is that development may be slowing because they have beaten everyone. It would be good to see more significant developments/new features soon as a sign they do not intend on sitting still.

Blackboard Collaborate and Moodle

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

It worked and was affordable. Blackboard's products are not affordable, and Moodle is super high maintenance.

Reviewed on 23/08/2018

Clean, easy, and

While Canvas is not perfect, it is by far the best class organization tool I have used and I can only see it improving from here.

Pros

Canvas is by far the best class organization platform I have used as a student. There are so many features, such as a calendar, grading system, discussion system, grouping system, messaging system, announcement system, file system, and more more components implemented in a clean interface for both the desktop site and mobile application, making Canvas feel like a very complete and comprehensive tool. Configuring Canvas is easy, but any snags along the way can be sorted out by contacting Canvas's excellent customer support. So long as a teacher or professor is willing to make good use of Canvas, then the tool will serve as a huge boon to both students and instructors.

Cons

A more robust and open grading system would be more useful for determining one's current or final for when teachers or professors implement less traditional grading weights and tactics. While the software is clean, certain features and pages can be convoluted to find. The file browser and downloading files could be improved and made more intuitive.

Michael W.

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

Canvas Review

Overall my experience with Canvas was great. The software integrated with G Suite and allowed instructors to differentiate and personalize learning for students with rapid feedback.

Pros

What I like most about Canvas was the many different features and integrations it supported. The software could be used by beginner or novice users.

Cons

The software was very difficult for a portion of my instructors to configure and the robust features caused configuration fatigue.

Schoology, Google Classroom and Moodle

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

Gaggle was not meeting our ever growing needs of customization.

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

We choose Canvas for our high school students because it more simulated what would be used in post k12 educational systems.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

It is an incredible software with many functions to carry out your classes

It is a very versatile software for educational programs, it is ideal to have the courses organized and centralized in a single place where you can access the study material, develop collaborative work, evaluations and communication between the teacher and the student.

Pros

It's intuitive, easy to use and configure, it's great for collaborative work, it's ZOOM compatible, it's great, and students love it. You have different options to carry out your classes asynchronously (Package offece, forums, announcements, emails) and synchronously (zoom). You can create question banks and setting them to be displayed randomly is a very useful function.

Cons

The gradebook can be improved, it must have an additional function for advanced configuration to assign the percentages. It should have a chat option and know who is online in real time so that students can study collaboratively.

Ivan G.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

CANVAS: Skill Required

Canvas, while a good software that integrates very well with other programs like Dropbox or Google Drive, also has it's downsides. Students using this program can be easily confused by the complex layout of the LMS. All in all, the program can and should be used in classroom environments, but some complex features should be explained by the instructor.

Pros

Canvas when used by a teacher is a very useful program with lots of options. Compared to alternatives like Google Classroom, Canvas has a lot of customizability in how a virtual "classroom" looks or feels. For example, teachers can make exciting home pages that have personality, which many other LMS softwares simply can't do.

Cons

While Canvas is a good experience for the teacher, the students using them can often be lead to dislike the program. Many things that are good for teachers like the ability to make modules separate from assignments backfires on the students using them. These customizability options can often lead to confusing pages with hidden assignments, causing lots of frustration that could be easily avoided by using more simple alternatives like Google Classroom.

Timothy M.

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

The Quickest Way to See Classes Activity

Overall, Canvas is a good software to help students organized and manage their study time and completing their assignment on time.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that students can see the due date and list of to-do assignment of your classes. All the notifications will appear on the right side of the desktop screen or on the notification tab on the phone screen. This is very handy and easy to catch up the any deadline of the assignments. Help students have a better management in current time and plan ahead of time.

Cons

The thing that I like least about this software is the discussion board/ class discussion, which is available for everyone to comment and post opinion. It is so hard to find your own comments or post if there are already a bunch of comments existed in the chatroom. Hope that this software can minimize the comments on one post and only allow to see if users want to expand to view the comments. This will help a lot for students only interested on original post instead of have to go through all the comments in order to see other posts.

Jessica G.

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Keep me in check

Overall i think Canvas should be used everywhere. I have heard of other programs like Blackboard but I would prefer Canvas

Pros

I love canvas and using it for school. I like being able to see what assignments I have and when they are due. I also really like being able to mess around with the "Grade" tab and put in different grades for my assignments and see what my final grade would be. It is easy to submit assignments and resubmit and have never had problems of Canvas shutting down on me in the middle of a test of quiz.

Cons

Theres is an occasional rare glitch with the program that maybe some things I delete from the to-do list will still appear when I log in again later in the day but it eventually goes away.
The only problem with Canvas that isn't really their fault is that it depends on the professor you have and how familiar they are with the program. I can have a professor that will post all assignments and files that I will need for the day and others who will do things one at a time and not give me an accurate reading as to what my final grade would be at the end of the year.

Hans T.

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

A MUST HAVE collaboration tool!

This app has been the most powerful tool in our institution in engaging the students, and saving papers/tress for the environment too.

Pros

Our institution have been using Canvas very heavily, and found it extremely intuitive. The best thing about it is the powerful collaboration and the discussion tool within this type of portal. I have seen that students who are shy in lecture classrooms, but end up participating very heavily in discussion in Canvas. The availability in mobile platform making learning very continuous and exciting. The students can also upload docs, sheets, slides into Canvas portal to submit assignments.

We recently have started to use it outside the education realm, such as staff training, performance review and project collaborations, due to its simplicity, friendly, robust and powerful communication tool. Extremely little downtime also add to the pros of this application/portal in terms of stability.

Cons

Nothing so far but perhaps integration to other collaboration tools (such as GoToMeeting, Webex) will be much helpful ..

Stanley Y.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 08/09/2019

How Canvas has kept me to date on classes and assignments

Pros

I love how easy to use Canvas is. Canvas has a calendar that shows all assignments that have ever been assigned in a format where you could see what's due that week or day. It also states when exams are, which is helpful when you're a busy college student trying to keep up with your course load. I like how you can change your grade to see what you'll end up getting in the class, and I like how the quizzes save if you must leave for awhile. It's so much more easier to use than eCommons, the old system our school used before we transitioned to 100% Canvas.

Cons

It was difficult for me to navigate around to change the formatting of the classes displayed. For awhile, I had no clue how to revert it until near the end of the year. Also, canvas notifications usually get sent to me late, or not even at all, in regards to professors changing assignment/exam dates/times, and assignment/exam gradings.

Katherine S.

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

Canvas for Students

Overall, Canvas was a great platform to use as a student. It was leaps and bounds better than what we used in undergrad (Moodle/Blackboard)

Pros

I used Canvas in my Graduate program and realyl enjoyed all of the features it had to offer. It allowed me to quickly communicate with my professor and classmates as well as easily upload my assignments.

Cons

The app version of Canvas was sometimes not as efficent as the online version. It would crash and make it hard for me to view assignments. I often had to pull it up on my computer after it didn't work on my phone.

Tiffany R.

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

Not always user friendly

I am teaching remotely this year. My students are in elementary school. All of my daily assignments, lessons, and assessments are uploaded into the canvas page for my students to access.

Pros

I enjoy that canvas has the ability to link to a lot of other apps and programs. As a teacher, this is very handy. I have noticed a lot of updates to the canvas platform recently that have made it a bit more user-friendly. I feel like they are making changes based on feedback from people who use the product, which is always really greatly appreciated! I do enjoy the analytics that canvas offers. As a teacher, they are extremely useful. Especially the current updates which allow for reports to be printed.

Cons

While updates have made things a bit more simplistic in the platform, I still do not find canvas to be the most user-friendly platform. Those unfamiliar with HTML coding may have a hard time setting up their canvas pages to look as they like them too. Sizing and formatting is still challenging.