About Buddy Punch

Buddy Punch is a cloud-based time clock solution suitable for businesses of all sizes. Key features include overtime calculating, GPS tracking, PTO accrual, time card approval and job costing. Buddy Punch enables employees to...

Browse Buddy Punch Reviews

Tara L. Tara L.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Great Product!

Buddy Punch has been a super efficient business solution for our office. It is very user friendly. The integration with Quickbooks has streamlined our payroll which has been a huge plus. Most importantly to me as the administrator who's been responsible for the complete set up and training of all staff- the Buddy Punch customer service team has been absolutely outstanding!

Pros

The software is easy to use with only very minor quirks.

Cons

I appreciate the updates to scheduling but even with the new templates, I'm still not able to schedule as efficiently as I would like. I would love to be able to set a master schedule for each user and edit individual days from there as necessary. My team typically works a pretty set schedule so to have a template per person would be ideal. It seems that's not quite the functionality of the new template feature.

When I Work

Reasons for Choosing Buddy Punch

We needed a product that tracked PTO as well as had a punching time clock feature. Integration with QB was the additional bonus.

Reasons for Switching to Buddy Punch

PTO tracking function worked the way we needed it to and it was a better price point.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Tara for the review. It is great to hear that our QuickBooks integration has been helpful to your business. Thank you for the feedback, recurring items on the schedule is coming up as a new feature as well. Thanks again!

Replied 10/10/2019
Katie B. Katie B.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

User friendly time tracking with geofence/GPS accountability

BP has been extremely accessible for customer service and have been open to suggestions for improvements/additional services. They have steadily grown over the last several years, offering more and more helpful services and integration with other programs. BP was also extremely accommodating during Covid shutdowns, allowing us to freeze our account in good faith that we would pick up where we left off as soon as we were able.

Pros

Very easy for employees and administrators alike to track time and edit if necessary. Provides accountability for our employees with the location settings such as GPS/Geofence. Provides a variety of reports that are helpful. Provides our employees with mobility--we can send them to any job site, and they have the ability to punch in/out.

Cons

Would like a report that provides a daily snapshot, chronologically, of who punched in/out and at what time. If this exact report exists, I have not been able to find it.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Buddy Punch

It was more cost effective and much easier to contact for help.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Katie for the review and kind words, it is great to hear that you're making use of our GPS/geofencing features. We do take pride in our customer service, and I am glad it is showing! We appreciate your business!

Replied 30/11/2021
Cathie K. Cathie K.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 02/11/2020

Buddy Punch is the BEST!

Our experience has been phenomenal.

Pros

I like the fact that the support staff is very willing to try to accommodate requests that we have.

Cons

I would like it if we could put Exempt employees on the system, just to track PTO.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Cathie for the review and kind words! We always try to help with support, even if we don't offer a feature we try to find a way to accomplish what you are looking to do. In regards to employees just tracking time off, they can do that too - there isn't a requirement to track time. We'll reach out with more details, thanks again!

Replied 03/11/2020

Top Buddy Punch Alternatives

Stephenie W. Stephenie W.

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

Works the way it is advertised. Learning curve was minimal.

This software is a great alternative to paper records, especially for a small company that has hourly employees. I have no idea how easy/hard setting up accounts is, but for me--a regular employee--it works wonderfully. If I knew someone starting their own business, or someone who has their own business, I would recommend this product.

Pros

When I made user errors (like forgetting to clock out) the software had built in measures to rectify my mistake. I forgot to punch out, and it has a feature to leave notes for your boss. You can also edit a punch after you make a mistake (just needs to be approved by your boss) So if you get excited and start working before you clock in? No problem. Just punch in and edit the time to an earlier time of the day. Then wait for your boss to approve the changes. It says I can review punches from previous weeks, but I haven't had time to explore that feature yet.

Cons

I didn't devote a lot of time to explore the software, so it took a full work week to figure out what it had to offer beyond punching in and out. Software seems great! I've only been using it for two weeks. I don't have complaints about the software. Any issues I faced were from a lack of understanding how it functioned, and I was able to figure it out on my own (for example: I forgot to punch out, and the next morning when I saw the error it showed me punching in and out at what seemed to be random times during the night) Biggest complaint: the company sent me emails asking me to review the product the very first day I used it, and I personally think people need a few days--up to a week--to familiarize themselves with the software (at least enough to write a review)

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Stephanie for the great review, I'm glad your'e finding us easy to use and that you're finding our built in features to be helpful, such as forgetting to clock in or out. Also, sorry for asking for a review so fast! I appreciate your honest feedback. Thanks again for the review and for your recommendation.

Replied 31/10/2017
Mike L. Mike L.

Reviewed on 10/09/2016

How good is buddypunch?

Turns out its preetttyyy gooood.

Was looking for an app that helped manage employee punching in/out for small businesses and did a bunch of trials before finding BuddyPunch. The other apps that I found were often not what I was looking for or did not have a focus on employee punch-in/outs.

Found buddypunch and it does exactly what I need it to. The UI is very well designed, the administrator makes employee accounts and employees just go to the website, log in, and push the big green button.

They then log in again to punch out but the big green button will be a big red button this time.
Very simple, very easy, does employee punch-ins, does it well. Also got an IP-Lock feature so employees can only punch in on-site.

There are some other features like wage calculations based on punch-in time, overtime stuff, and other things that I don't use but they seemed pretty useful if I ever choose to use them.

Pros

Good design

Intuitive

Focused on employee punching in and out. No gimmicks you have to do, no hoops you have to jump through to get it going.

Cons

People can only be automatically punched out after X hours. Not X and a half or X and a quarter. But you set the X so I got that going for me which is nice.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Lei for the 10/10 review! We really appreciate the thought you put into it and the highlighting of some of our features. I'm glad that the User Interface (UI) is easy to use and understand. When we're designing features we always think of how they're being used and how it affects both the employee and administrator's daily experience. Thanks again, we appreciate your business.

Replied 12/09/2016
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 08/10/2018

Great time collection option

Pros

I was looking for a time collection option for our temporary employee staff. We have anywhere from 15 to 30 temporary employees on staff from different agencies on a weekly basis. It was a chore to have paper time tickets from multiple agencies and making sure the hours were approved by the supervisor was difficult as well. Buddy punch allows all Temp employees to punch in on one clock and it takes their picture so I can verify it was them. We have an IPad set up for this purpose only. At the end of the week I can easily run a report by staffing agency and send the reports to them so the temporary employee can be paid.

Cons

In the beginning we had issues with the IPad not not running the app correctly. I am not sure if the issues were on our end or if they were with Buddy Punch but we had to reload the program once a week it seems for the first couple of months. I am happy to say things are working much smoother now and I rarely need to reboot the IPad.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review, it's great to hear that you're finding our reporting options easy to use and that you're taking advantage of our webcam feature, which you can setup to require a photo of an employee on punches. Also good to hear that any issues with your iPad have been resolved. Thanks again!

Replied 10/10/2018
Jim C. Jim C.
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

Well Done Time Tracking Software

This software has accomplished what we were hoping for - punching in and out when on site. We are a custom fab shop, so we use a lot of job codes and the software is easy to use for purpose. We eliminated paper tallies which over the course of a years time has saved us payroll in regards to employee rounding time on time sheets. I am able to access all the information even when I am on the road, so I am always in the loop on attendance and who is working on what projects.

Pros

Easy to train employees
Easy to set-up and implement
Straight forward user interface
Geofence ability (user must punch in specified areas)

Cons

Would like customizable report options
I sometimes forget when setting up a new user to add them to the Geofence. Our company has only one location so an automatic add would be nice.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Jim for the review, it's great to hear that you're utilizing our Geofencing feature and that you're finding us easy to use. We appreciate the feedback and your business!

Replied 31/01/2020
Sarah S. Sarah S.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 09/11/2018

Buddy Punch is a great replacement for our old system!

Pros

Right off the bat I was impressed that Buddy Punch offered a 30 day trial, whereas most other systems offered only one or two week trials. Before our 30 days was even up we knew this is the program we were going to use. Buddy Punch was easy to use for all of our employees and I am able to access it from my home rather than having to remember when I went into the office to make adjustments to time cards, approve PTO, or print reports. Also, even though I set specific pay periods, I am able to print reports with whatever date ranges I indicate. I find that very useful. The last feature that we have been impressed with was the ability to select different locations that employees can punch in/ out of. We have multiple locations and it is helpful know where people are physically. Great program!

Cons

I have the mobile app downloaded onto my phone but it is extremely limited. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn't have talked that up so much to my management team, because it turned out to not offer many options or capability.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review Sarah! It's great to hear that you're taking advantage of our PTO approval feature, reporting, and geo-fencing features. With the smartphone app you're able to approve PTO, view and edit time cards, and view who's currently punched in. We don't have a reports option on the smartphone apps today, but I'll reach out to you to see what features you might be interested in so we can add them to the list for future development. Thanks again.

Replied 21/11/2018
Jake C. Jake C.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

Great Time Clock System

Buddy Punch is a great product that has allowed us to better track our technicians hours. They are on the road 3-4 days a week and Buddy Punch helps us know where they are when they punch in/out and whether they are staying on schedule. It's a great product at a great value!

Pros

The software is a good value, easy to use, and the support team is very receptive to suggested changes or add-ons. We've seen several suggestions become a reality which is uncommon when dealing with other software companies.

Cons

The app isn't the best, but we do ask for it to do a lot. From GPS tracking to facial recognition; there are good features, but with phone updates, the app has a tendency to lock up.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks Jake fore the review, I'm happy to hear that you're finding us easy to use as well as a good value. We build features based on feedback from our users, it is great to hear that you're enjoying some of our recent updates! Also thanks for the feedback on the mobile app, it supports geofences, gps coordinates, facial recognition and QR codes. Thanks again.

Replied 10/10/2018
Glenda A. Glenda A.

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

Buddy Punch Review

Employees can punch in where ever they are assigned. We can use a geofence if employee not punching in at the yard. Can see where they are when they punch in. Has prevented "stealing time".
Perfect for our weekly payroll information.
Employees clock in early am and late pm and can leave notes when no one in the office.

Pros

So easy to use. Easy for me as Administrator and employees have no problems, can leave notes and check their own time each week.

Cons

MINOR - as more information was added to Employee Detail report, sometimes a second sheet prints with a few words. The second sheet is wasted.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Glenda for the review! It is great to hear you are finding us easy to use and that our geofencing feature is helpful. We appreciate your business.

Replied 07/06/2021
Mary B. Mary B.
  • Industry: Tobacco

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Perfect Timeclock Solution!

I've enjoyed using Buddy Punch! I've had to deal with several other timeclock solutions at other businesses, ranging from different software to old-fashioned punch clocks to just simple sheets you filled your hours out on. Far and away, BP is the best I've seen yet.

Pros

BuddyPunch is very easy to use and has several login options. Our employees can use their standard username and password, but they can also punch in faster/simpler using QR codes or a 4-digit pin. BP also organizes your timesheet well so that you can check your worked hours, PTO, etc at a glance.

Cons

Occasionally it can be slower to load on our systems, but not to a degree that causes "late punches".

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Mary for the review and the kind words! We appreciate your business.

Replied 04/11/2019
Gerald A. Gerald A.

Reviewed on 15/09/2016

One Of The Best Decisions I Made For My Business

I was first apprehensive of trying out Buddy Punch. I was so used to traditional punch cards, spending hours reading through each punch card during paydays and calling each employee for verification of blurred printouts and questionable punch-ins. I was used to making my life so difficult. Until I decided to level up because some bundy clock machines bogged down at the office, I began looking for a time card system that would eliminate time fraud from employees ... and make my life easy too. I began to entertain biometric time clocks. But the newest machines are so expensive and still quite laborious on part of the employer who had no human resources department. Until I came through an advertisement from Buddy Punch, this picked up my interest. After a few hours of contemplation, I tried it and boy was I blown off by its features real-time pics, extensive data of employee activity, payroll data, etc. Even the staff of Buddy Punch are so supportive, inserting few features from a new user like me. I am so impressed! Now for the first time in my 10 years of business, computing payroll has become such a breeze. Thank you very much, Buddy Punch!

Pros

I am happy for everything. Though it doesn't have all the features we need, but the staff are ready to entertain all our suggestions.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. So far, it fills my current payroll needs.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Gerald for the great review! I appreciate you pointing out a few of our features, like our webcam support for pictures on punches and our reporting options. I'm glad we've made your life easier. Thanks for your business!

Replied 15/09/2016
Marybeth M. Marybeth M.
  • Industry: Libraries

Reviewed on 07/05/2021

A Daily dose of Ease

I am happy to use this on a daily basis. I can see what hours I have accrued and can edit with ease.

Pros

The functionality of this software is user friendly. Once you learn how to navigate the prompts it is simple.

Cons

No able to access my past pay periods and see the accrual of retirement funds, taxes withheld to date, etc.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Marybeth for the review, it is great to hear you are finding us easy to use. You are able to access past pay periods, however we are not a payroll provider so we do not display any benefit information. Thanks again!

Replied 10/05/2021
Kristina S. Kristina S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

Great, very easy to use and not over complicated by too many add ons

Pros

It is simple, straight forward, and very easy to use. It looks great on the web and the mobile app. Easy for employees to use and access.

Cons

It is not made to function without an email address and it is not made for Holdings or Conglomerate groups. You cannot be an administrator tied to separate entities once your email is in use. Even though you wish each group to act independently and you just want administrator access to each one, you have to make entirely separate accounts and you have to come up with different versions of your email to do that because this program is just not made for that.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Kristina for the 10/10 review, we appreciate it! I'm glad you're finding us easy to use and making use of our web and mobile access options. Thank you for the feedback on management of several accounts at once. We are making some enhancements in this area, so stay tuned!

Replied 31/10/2017
Mitch H. Mitch H.
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 02/06/2017

A superior choice to paper time cards or other software time cards I've tried

Incredibly easy tracking of hourly employees time cards including break times, lunches, and PTO taken.

Pros

This software is incredibly easy to use both by the administrator and by the employees. They make it easy to be compliant with federal and state laws for tracking hourly employee time and breaks. It is easy to control which employees can change their own check ins/check outs, and it is incredibly easy to make changes when needed. I also love that employees can choose to fill in their own PTO and mark it appropriately for what type they have used.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Mitch for the review, we appreciate you taking the time! I'm glad that you've found Buddy Punch "incredibly easy to use!" Thanks for pointing out our break, PTO and change request features, I'm glad they're helping you be compliant with federal and state laws. Thanks for being a Buddy Punch customer!

Replied 02/06/2017
Elizabeth V. Elizabeth V.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Easy To Use

It's been a good program to use since we lost our other one.

Pros

I can Edit and have no issues accessing the software.

Cons

It doesn't seem to understand that holiday time is not the same as PTO.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Elizabeth for your review, it's great to hear you are finding us easy to use. Your account administrator can create different types of time off and can designate them as paid or unpaid, sorry for any confusion. Thanks again!

Replied 28/09/2020
Susy S. Susy S.

Reviewed on 19/02/2018

It's so easy to clock in and out

The ability to check where I am at the end of the week and how many hours I have left, so I won't go into overtime.

Pros

The convenience of being able to keep track of my hours and the ease of clocking in and out. I also can change the time if I forget to clock, which is approved by the administrator.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Susy for the great review! I'm glad that we've been easy for you to use and that your'e making use of our "I need to change something" feature, which routes changes to your administrator for approval.

Replied 20/02/2018
Holly S. Holly S.

Reviewed on 19/09/2017

Great

Helpful on the go access. I like that you can punch out at a specific time since I run errands outside of work then estimate my clock out time.

Pros

Easy to use. Can use it anywhere. I am glad to have the access on my phone to help while I am walking to the front door I can just punch in.

Cons

The ONLY thing I do not like is before your manager approves your hours. The system does not add up the hours. I understand they are not "approved" hours. But this is silly that you can not gauge your hours because of this flaw.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review Holly, I'm glad that we're easy to use and that you're utilizing our mobile features. Also thanks for the feedback on the pending approvals. You are correct, until your manager approves any changes to your time card they won't tally the hours as the hours could be rejected/changed. Thanks again!

Replied 21/09/2017

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Great time keeping option

Overall, it has been great! It has taken the hassle out of keeping time. No more adding times, calculating, and then punching them in redundantly. Buddy punch has taken the work out of payroll and time keeping.

Pros

Buddy punch offers an easy solution to employee time keeping. The thing about Buddy Punch that I love most is the ability to sync/ integrate employee's times with accounting software. This feature has made it incredibly easy to manage payroll, and ensure your employees are properly tracked via the time they provide through a number of offered apps.

Cons

A longer trial is the only thing that I would suggest. At least double the currently offered trial. It would allow users to get a better feel for the program and become accustomed to it before deciding to purchase. But once they become hooked on this software, I truly believe they will be willing to pay the full price that is offered so reasonably.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review! It's great to hear that you're finding us easy to use and also using our integrations. We integrate with several payroll providers/accounting options. We also offer a 30 day free trial on all new accounts. Thanks again!

Replied 25/10/2018
Sarah A. Sarah A.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 04/03/2019

Trouble with missed punches

Pros

It's quick and easy to use as long as no punches are missed.

Cons

If an employee misses a punch, it is very difficult for them to correct it. You must choose midnight on two lines, then choose a new clock out (or in) time. Plus, this usually occurs the following day, so you have the following day's clock in line which makes it even more confusing. Buddy Punch won't simply allow you to correct the clock out. You must now make changes to at least 3 punches.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review Sarah. The issue you are facing is due to a feature called "Split Shifts at Midnight," which automatically punches an employee out and then back in at midnight. If this feature was disabled then you'd just be correcting a single punch. I'll reach out to your administrator and let them know, thank you!

Replied 08/03/2019
Ken P. Ken P.

Reviewed on 30/08/2017

Buddy Punch is a great way to track and document employee time and attendance

Cost-effective, ease-of use--Buddy Punch allows for our employees to access the system from a variety of locations and systems.

Pros

Buddy Punch is easy to set up, easy to use, and the most cost-effective product we could find for our size business (under 100 employees).

Cons

At some point it would be helpful if additional features could be added to more fully cover our anticipated future needs as our programs and employee groups expand.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Ken for taking the time to write the review, we appreciate it and your continued business. I'm glad that you find us ease to use and that we're cost effective. We are continuing to implement new features, we'll be announcing more in the next few weeks as we finish up development. Thanks again!

Replied 30/08/2017
Laura M. Laura M.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Buddy Punch review

Great

Pros

Ease of use . Reports are easy to access. Adding new staff is easy.

Cons

No ability to ask staff COVID related health questions at shift sign in.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review and feedback Laura, we appreciate it. It is great to hear you are finding us easy to use!

Replied 21/12/2020
Stephanie B. Stephanie B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

First time online timesheet user

Our business has grown exponentially and the need for an easier way to time track was needed. Having BP allows me the opportunity to see who is clocked in real-time and the timesheets at a glance.

Pros

Ease of setup and use.
I have personally experienced after hours assistance and that is hugely important to me. My hours are not limited to 9:00-5:00.

Cons

Nothing. I can’t think of one thing that is a drawback.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Stefanie for your review and business, it is great to hear that you're finding us easy to use and to setup!

Replied 03/01/2019
Julia C. Julia C.

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

So Easy!

This is my third time with a punch in system and this is by far the easiest and most accurate, there are never issues with calculating the hours, and it keeps it organized. I find it helpful to have my account that i am able to access at all times, rather than a group login, or the handwritten clock ins.

Pros

I like that it is simple and to the point and you can see exactly the hours you are working, what it adds up to for the week and also you can go back and see previous time cards for reference

Cons

there is anything that i have had a issue with, i highly recommend

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Julia for the review! It's great to hear you're finding us simple, easy, and accurate. We appreciate the kind words!

Replied 16/01/2019
Lee W. Lee W.

Reviewed on 21/09/2017

SIMPILCITY, COMPREHENSIVE, EASY TO USE!

Pros

Having the freedom to record time anywhere instead of being restrain by use a time clock.... The record keeping of all in/out time and being able to keep track of total hours every week.

Cons

Having to use the location tracker just to clock in. I don't like for people who I don't know, to know where I'm located at all times...

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Lee for your review, I appreciate the kind works and I'm glad that we're simple and easy to use. I'm glad that you are using our mobile capabilities as well. We are both accessible via the browser as well as on our smartphone apps. Thanks for the feedback on our GPS coordinates option, this is something that can be enabled or disabled on a per employee basis.

Replied 25/09/2017