About BigCommerce

BigCommerce is a cloud-based online design platform that provides solutions to e-commerce entrepreneurs with website customization, shipment management, transactions as well as listing products on Amazon, eBay and Facebook. The...

Browse BigCommerce Reviews

Nathan K.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

WooCommerce, Shopify and Magento Commerce

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce

Note: We switched from Lightspeed's integrated e-commerce offering but still utilize their cloud POS and inventory management software (connected to Bigcommerce via API). We switched because Bigcommerce offered greater scalability than Lightspeed's own solution, especially concerning the ease of managing our inventory across multiple marketplace channels.

Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

Bigcommerce ultimately offered the greatest financial value in terms of entry-level features and marketplace functionality that were available to us as a growing small business.
Melissa D.

Reviewed on 20/09/2021

Big Commerce

Our overall experience with BigCommerce was excellent. The customer service team was always available. The site features were easy to navigate and the theme options were professionally designed.

Pros

Big Commerce features and website themes are perfect for small business owners who are looking to start a retail business.

Cons

The platform is not set up for multi-vendor marketplace stores.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

Store features, themes, and customer service
Chad W.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 18/11/2018

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier.

There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great.

The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress.

They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable.

For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages.

And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal

The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email.

I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

Top BigCommerce Alternatives

Asher J.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 07/06/2021

BigCommerce is a great online store solution.

We have used BigCommerce for over 6 years, and it has proved to be a fantastic online store solution, offering a simple interface, every feature you need, ease of payment for customers, and simple integration.

Pros

Order management is the strongest point of BigCommerce, and that is exactly what you want from an online store. Integration is simple and accurate, reporting and analytics are comprehensive, and the scalable pricing structure is the cherry on top. An excellent product.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about BigCommerce. Oh wait, I thought of one - Stop asking me to change my password every 3 months - it's annoying !

WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

We use both, but I feel BigCommerce is the better solution. It offers more features.
Alice "bess" M.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Easy to Use

BigCommerce has helped us transition seamlessly from being a brick and mortar to online only sales.

Pros

Very simple setup and easy to maintain my website effectively. Customer service has been very helpful every time I have had a question or concern.

Cons

Linking to Facebook shop has not been successful yet, however I have not particularly focused on that as we would direct it to the website anyway.

Justin D.

Reviewed on 09/11/2020

TYLER'S x BigCommerce

BigCommerce has been absolutely phenomenal. We're glad to be based in Austin, Texas alongside some of the BigCommerce team. Their support staff has been instrumental in our ability to adjust when a problem arises, and find a long term solution to ensure our ongoing success.

Pros

BigCommerce has developed a simplistic software that's allowing small and mid size companies to maneuver at scale. We've been able to learn and adapt new strategies as their team continues to open new capabilities to developers and as they push development in their app market. Fast and reliable apps will be key to building and maintaining the next evolution of ecommerce businesses and having that infrastructure in place will be pivotal in the years to come.

Cons

When we teamed up with BigCommerce, they were a newer competitor in the market. Some similar companies were able to offer functionalities that were limiting to our initial growth through ecommerce. Being a brick and mortar based business since 1978, we had a multitude of functionalities needed to keep up with our physical locations. Although they couldn't offer these features out of the gate, they were quick to get them implemented and worked closely with us to resolve our issues.

Renata A.

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

Great E-Commerce Solution!

It's a pleasant and delightful experience. It is a robust e-commerce solution for B2B, B2C and Wholesalers.

Pros

At our agency, we were used to working with WooCommerce, Shopify and we had never really worked with BigCommerce. Until we decided that it was time to step things up for one of our clients. We had a delightful surprise to see that BigCommerce is one of the most complete platforms out there, that is extremely user friendly whilst being robust and complete.

You have every type of solution you can imagine within your platform. From Wholesale B2B to a simple one page shop, you can build it all. BigCommerce offers amazing templates you can choose from, and also the Cornerstone which is a blank canvas.

As an agency, we've gone through the partnership process and we are officially a part of BigCommerce marketplace!

Cons

What I don't like is how the development can be a bit different than what we're accustomed to, and not as user friendly as Wordpress. For instance, on Wordpress our team can set up the background in a friendly way for our customers to use and manipulate sections without the need of a developer 24hs helping them.

Now as far as BigCommerce goes, the way some pages are set up require you to have an intermediate understanding of HTML if you want to manipulate some text and imagery.

I find this quite difficult since our clients are the ones changing content on the website once we hand it off to them.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 30/11/2019

Great platform to built your own website

Bigcommerce is a good platform to built websites. It offers separate plans with very different features so it allows you to find what works for you.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce. We have adopted this solution for a couple of our clients. The main features we have encountered so far are:Very easy to set up and to use. The dashboard is very easy to understand so people with little knowledge on the backend can work with it without difficulties.There are no limits on the products you can list on the online store so it works well for business for multiple skus.When building the online store, you have multiple templates to choose from and many options as different payment getaways in order to personalize your online store.The standard plan is ok and comes with nice features as the giftcard options

Cons

The main con is that the plan prices are slightly higher than similar tools. There are some features that might worth the cost but when considering options check if they might be useful for your business, otherwise a cheaper alternative might be a better option
Templates are ok, but just a few ones are for free.

Wix
Amir B.

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Very good and reasonably priced

Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons

Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Shopify
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 13/08/2019

Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies

We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

Pros

Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

Cons

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

Peter E.

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it.

Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me.

There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none.

Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Bianca l. P.

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

It's okay.

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

Ron C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

Some Ups and Downs, but I'm a Loyal User All the Same

I signed up when they were fairly new to the market, and have seen the company change hands, grow, and make changes to the product. It's not been a perfect experience, but I've never really considered changing platforms because of any issues I've had. At the end of the day, BigCommerce lets me run my site without having to think too much about the web-side of things.

Pros

I love the general ease of use on the front end, while having a massive amount of control on the back end. Pricing has gone up over the years, but has always been fair in my opinion. With BigCommerce, I was able to single handedly set up my own online shop, add products, design the site based on their templates, and then stop back and focus on the day-to-day tasks of running a business.

Cons

Their inability to have a robust iPhone app or even a truly useable mobile admin site is inexcusable in 2019. Customer service is usually good, but I've also had some fairly rough experiences.

Rebecca M.

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

I love BigCommerce

Whenever an order is placed, I see it immediately in my email. I print the invoice, pass off to my staff, and they process using Ship Station, which is integrated through BigCommerce. All of our sales are saved and easy to search through on BigCommerce. When working with changing the look, etc., of the site, very easy to do. Customer service. Love the live chat option, and whenever I call I can talk with someone very quickly. Excellent service.

Pros

My business is a healthcare practice with a brick and mortar shop and online store for purchasing products and services. BigCommerce has been so easy to work with. I have been with them for some 10 years plus and couldn't be more satisfied. Customer service is top-notch, fast, and always available 24/7.

Cons

I want to be able to go in and make a printable catalogue. I don't know that any software provides that, so not a complaint.

Reviewed on 04/03/2021

A quick start platform with very good expanded features

Really a very good platform for a large variety of business sizes. It's not just for the little guys, its expandable and will grow with you.

Pros

This platform is quick and easy to setup, it also has advanced promotion features that many other platforms do not.

Cons

Some of the connected features are harder to manage than expected.

Richard W.

Reviewed on 27/12/2017

Easy to use, full-featured shopping cart and website builder

Easy to use, all-in-one solution.

Pros

I love that it is an All-In-One solution. It can build your website with shopping cart included is just a few easy steps. Their support is great too if you run into any difficulties. They offer lots of different shipping options, purchasing options (Credit Card, Paypal etc), there is also a big community if you want to do things that are not built in.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little hard to make modifications to things that aren't naturally supported by bigcommerce when editing the template but the community helps a lot.

Matt G.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

Would switch if I could find something better

Pros

Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons

Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup as instead of an established company that's accountable to their customers. Seems they focus more on doing things that get them headlines, marketing material, and talking points instead of what most meets their customer's needs. They can be quite tonedeaf when it comes to understanding the way retail works and what the needs of small businesses really are. It's quite a shame as there is a lot of potential. The only reason I stay is because either the better platforms are unaffordable (Magento, Demandware, Netsuite, Miva, etc) or the ones comparable in price lack essential features or have their own problems that I can't workaround (Shopify, Volusion, etc.) So I'm stuck until we grow more. Don't get me wrong, they have improved greatly in the 6 years I've been with them, but they have a long way to go.

Ayub A.

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

Bigcommerce growing rapidly as CMS

Overall as a developer i have been using this product from almost a year & found this product quite friendly even in setting up & in customizing it.

Pros

I have been customizing this product for my customers regularly & much familiar with underlying APIs & design. I found this product very helpful for someone who wants to grow business online. Here's the list of pros i observe from that product.

Store management is very easy.
Shipping handling is also quite easy.
Its Secure
Its give live support 24/7
All in one solution
Its easy to customize
API guide is too easy

Cons

Few of the cons i found if not there this product will grow more rapidly.

Its limited theme library
Its Lillie expensive for newbie

Marcella S.

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

Love the shopping cart

Pros

I like the ease of use and the 24/7 customer service.

Cons

I think it is expensive for what you get. Also when I purchased it I was told that the tech team would understand that I needed assistance hooking up my affiliate panel to the system. They had no idea what I was talking about and I had to figure it out myself, which meant I paid for the system way before I could use it.

Michael J.

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

INCREDIBLE E-Commerce Platform... will NEVER use another!!!

Seamless. Minimal effort. When I need service, its there. Most times I can figure out everything I need using their online documentation and forums.

Pros

Simple and easy to use, but its Big Commerce's customer service that earns them the crown of King of E-Commerce platforms.

Cons

Not really a BAD thing, but they are always adding features that usually are of no use to me..... but hey, they work well for SOMEONE.

Cheryl S.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Easy to use, does everything I need it to

It helps us to manage our website and business

Pros

I have worked with BigCommerce with 2 different companies and they are by far the best and easiest way to maintain your website. The ability to monitor sales and inventory is so very useful on a day to day basis that I wouldn't use anything else. And any changes made to our listings is an immediate change. What a great way to manage our site!!

Cons

Honestly, I haven't found anything that I dislike about it. There are always ways to improve but for what we're using it for, I love it.

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

Very good experience using Big Commerce everdy day: many features & great customization/integra...

Pros

You can follow easily all your orders, changing the status with integration with other apps (for fraud control, order processing). You can extract data of your orders very fast also. Also you can customize the website template in many ways without many coding skills so that's a great plus.

Cons

I have a good experience but I would say that the software could have a better customer support (the interface as well as the help given, sometimes disappointing) when there are glitches for examples. Also, it should be possible to process orders directly on Big Commerce, just forwarding the order details to a supplier, but it does not have this feature for the moment.

David H.

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

Solid eCommerce Shopping Cart that has more features out of the box than Shopify

Pros

Bigcommerce has more features out of the box than most any other shopping cart including Shopify. It's just the little things like being able to put custom messages like "ships in 1-2 days" on each product. Lot of product options that you see on larger big box websites.

Cost is reasonable when compared to other solutions.

Integrates with a ton of 3rd Party applications. Easy to find solutions to help you succeed.

Cons

There is a huge gap from mid tier plan to the enterprise solutions. The Pro and Enterprise Solutions include some features that are only accessible when you pay 3 times as much. Things such as faceted Search, so you can get a more "Amazon" like experience.

We have experienced an overall reduction in site traffic since switching to Big C. We are not sure if this is because of how Google treats these sites in search, or if it's just that more and more people shop through marketplaces only. It's hard to say.

3rd Party App Marketplace is somewhat limited when compared to other solutions.

Muhammad adil M.

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

BigCommerce

Big support for hundreds of payment gateways. Large support of marketing tool available to cater your need.

Pros

It has huge built-in functionalities than any other site development in market. Large support for Amazon, Facebook and Instagram to sell and market your product.

Cons

UI is not so easy and its hard to edit your website sometimes due to its complicated interface. A big let down is that there is no mobile app available.

Anant M.

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Easy to set up Ecommerce solution!

We use BigCommerce to reach new customers in a public climate. It helps us to grandstand our products effectively and successfully. Its surely a better option than Shopify.

Pros

To set up online stores that aren't hosted by us, we had a few options to choose from. Bigcommerce turned out to be a perfect solution:
- Scalable as much as you need.
- Its a hosted solution, so no worries about server maintenance and technical costs.
- Most plans offer multiple payment options with no transaction fees whatsoever.
- Has a lot of free templates to choose from.
- CMS and SEO features fully integrated with it.
- Discounts and other marketing features.
- Unlimited digital or physical products.
- Drag and Drop builder.

Cons

- New themes are pretty expensive to buy.
- The cheapest plan has transaction fees.
- Not the most user friendly design capabilities.
- Terminology is little difficult for beginners and there is a learning curve.