About Lightspeed POS

Crafted specifically for the hospitality industry and perfect for cafes, restaurants, bars, and any other hospitality business imaginable. Lightspeed Kounta POS is the point of sale that is easy to use, simple to manage and...

4.2

Browse Lightspeed POS Reviews

Peter

Reviewed on 07/05/2021

Fantastic POS

Pros

Lightspeed is very reliable, easy to program good functionality. In 3 years our POS has not crashed or stalled. Customer support is remarkable. The team is knowledgeable and professional. My questions are answered the same day.

Cons

Most of the reporting is very good. I would like more one page style reports, for example all servers that worked yesterday lists total sales, category sales, average check. I can get this information but each server is listed separately so analysis is time consuming.

TouchBistro

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed POS

Lightspeed would be simpler and had great customer support.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed POS

During the demo I felt Lightspeed had more features that would be beneficial to our restaurant.
SHELLEY

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Makes Perfect Sense!

We have been using Lightspeed for 2+ years now and absolutely love it! We are able to utilize many of their components to assist us not only in the basics (inventory, sales) but analytics and E-Comm. LS staff are very knowledgeable, friendly and quick to respond to our needs.

Pros

We are able to customize according to our needs. We utilize many of the components and are constantly learning.

Cons

Sometimes we have recommendations and submit them.

Donna

Reviewed on 06/09/2022

Best Supported POS System

Very easy to use, easy to get help specific to your problem

Pros

How easy it is to get support, how knowledgeable the support staff is with the software & shortcuts to use it. Also, it tracks inventory across multiple platforms so you don't sell inventory you don't have.

Cons

It's fairly expensive in comparison to what we were using in the past (quick books POS - doesn't track inventory across multiple platforms but cheaper)

Hike

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed POS

doesn't track inventory across multiple platforms

More options

Top Lightspeed POS Alternatives

Evan

Reviewed on 22/03/2017

Highly adaptable and intuitive POS

Kounta as a POS system has been able to grow with us, providing flexibility and ease of use that is a massive relief when you have the pressures of an expanding business to contend with.

The ability to simply add or subtract registers, combined with the functionality of a internet based system makes change relatively pain free. Wireless waiter stations, Albert pay terminals, Bluetooth printers (which I don't have but am excited about and will probably get), its all so easy to use.

Why pay thousands of dollars in cabling, installation costs and labour in setting up your system? Good question - i'm not sure! Just research what you want - call Kounta, put it in and download the software... add your products, tailor it the way you want, and go for it!

Pros

Ease of alteration and basic use for staff

Cons

The back end of product input is a little cumbersome - a simply category/sub-category/sub-sub category system works best. Sometimes this is represented by Department/category/sub-category either way, it is far more flexible for product input, button organisation and more granular for reporting.

Marchelle

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Lightspeed is an excellent partner to us

Lightspeed is a true partner with us at Campus Towers. With their programs we have a reliable easy to use program. We are very satisfied with the service provided.

Pros

Lightspeed is so easy to use. The simplicity of the program makes it so efficient for even my newest team members to use. We would be lost without it. The service team is outstanding to work with. The reliability is outstanding.

Cons

Actually we are very satisfied with the services that we are receiving from Lightspeed.

Joe

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

Lightspeed POS for Restaurant

Overall, our experience has been great, but no software is perfect. Their rates are comparable, but the customer support is phenomenal.

Pros

Lightspeed is sleek, very professional look and feel. Although it does take a number of buttons to run through a transaction, it's definitely an upgrade to what he had prior. The loyalty program integration is amazing, as customers earn points on the spot without any manual entry.

Cons

Although not directly related to POS, their payment processing dose not allow partial refunds which causes us headaches at times.

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed POS

Spotting connectivity, card reader wouldn't work.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed POS

Better reviews and integration with their loyalty program

Reviewed on 28/02/2020

Not worthed as the expensive price

I know amount that i calculate manual in every type of payment are balance or not because kounta showing it amount minus or over, so we can double check before we accept to close cashier or shift.

Pros

Display of the pos is look modern and kounta can create recipen and inventory and back office. Pso system complet with back office.

Cons

Actually they have good features in back office for reporting. But not as good as inventory system by itself. First, POS system not completly all transaction is automaticly show in the report when want to do closing cashier (shift), like we need to do manual calculated some other transaction except cash like card and gofood payment as i used to. Because you have to submit all your type of payment on closing time then you will get report that will show your manual calculted are balance or not, split bill need to do by amount not by item, mostly apps that i was using were by item. Second, we need to buy with additional charge to get more features that we can see more details report (like insight and purchase) and that is expensive. If you dont buy, you will not get clear report as you need for analyzing restaurant performance. Third, menu item that you sell and item only you use for recipe are the same product list. Fourth, service charge and tax calculations are confusing to get the right amount. Every report that you want to dowbload as csv as not that correct way as csv.

Stuart

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Industry standard POS software with learning curve

Mostly positive. There is a leaning curve. Gets the job done and is industry standard for bicycles.

Pros

This software is the industry standard in the bike industry. Most common item are in their database and it does everything that it needs to do. There is a learning curve and it is not clear, to me, if cloud backup is available for records. I have read about integration with quick books but have yet to explore this feature.

Cons

Searchable help, including FAQ, while using would be helpful. Item names appear partially when searching until you click on them. This makes it hard to differentiate between 2 similar items.

Kim

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

LightSpeed Success

LightSpeed support is superior to all other product support I am getting both from a business standpoint as well as personal. Their response is quick and understandable.

Pros

Easy to use backed up by professional support. Conversion and training was excellent.

Cons

Consignment reporting requires a couple extra steps from my previous product.

Ondrej
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 14/04/2022

Best POS I've used

We wanted a simple to use, reliable and feature rich application and Lightspeed delivered, only wish we could write our own extensions a little easier.

Pros

The ux is absolutely straightforward and intuitive, you hardly even need the manual from set up to production

Cons

API behind a pay wall. As a software developer who casually wrenches and has set up lightspeed in multiple businesses, I'd have liked to get in deeper on the nerdy side. From a regular user perspective that's not an issue though.

Jason

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

Great POS system for small retailers

I'd recommend Lightspeed to anyone. I've used the cloud-based platform in a baby boutique and a home/gift shop. It's served us well in both settings. All our employees have been able to use the system without difficulty and the analytics have given us an advantage in managing operations.

Pros

Back-end setup is pretty simple and user interface for point of sale is easy and forgiving. Our '72 year old non-computer literate' retail associate was able to master it in no time. Customer support is also top notch.

Cons

There are a few small issues - refunds are a multi-step process, and setting up the ecom website didn't feel as intuitive as it could be. (I did talk with customer service about this. They agree the process could be streamlined and are in the process of rolling out a new setup process shortly.)

Greg

Reviewed on 26/02/2015

Kounta review from a "cloud integrator" perspective

I am a cloud integrator and have implemented a number of Xero + POS add-ons. I select Kounta for my customers purely on its hospitality focus and it's table management add-on. I have been really impressed with how it handles the concept of modifiers and how smooth the integration is with Tyro electronic payments.

However, I feel that there is a lot of navigating around the 'back office' to get what you need to get done. The CSV data importers are good, but I still found I had to do many repetitive updates manually via the user interface that the importer didn't support. The user interface is a bit big and boxy for my liking but understandably some see this as a benefit if working off a tablet in a cafe most of the time.

The client registration process was a bit tedious (maybe at least for us implementers/advisers) but when up and running my customers love the product. The POS register is really powerful and soon after becoming power users the only niggling complaint I get are small enhancements to customisations which are unfortunately locked down in the product anyway. e.g. layouts on receipts, dockets, shortcuts panel, etc.

I have also been really impressed with Kounta's email support and communication on release notes. You can really tell they are working hard in making this product better and better. Personally, I would like to see more flexible pricing plans for store owners that have multiple (small-sized) cafes, which will hopefully encourage the greater use of bump screens for the Kitchen/Brewster and mobile registers where waiting staff can take orders + electronic payments at the table. Maybe I am just over the little pad and pencil.

In short, I am a big fan of Kounta POS in food & beverage. Totally recommend.

Emma

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

Great system

Pros

Great easy system to use. Easy to change payment methods and products and downloading and updating on excel also possible. Just starting to sync with Xero so that’s good too. Customer support really has improved massively since we started using it 2 years ago. I would recommend as a good all rounder.

Cons

Reporting in close detail has been a tricky one but with Kounta insights it seems to be improving although I think it’s still work in progress.

Gazebo

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

Absolutely fantastic product, team, and set up.

While originally using a completely outdated and problematic POS system, we were put in touch with the team at Kounta. They were explained as being the most genuine team in the business, but always on hand to help and with a system which really spoke for itself.

Not only was the recommendation totally correct, I am now the one spreading the word of just how simple the transition was, and how happy we are with the product.

Not only is it a really easy system to set up and organise, especially with the helpful team over at Tech Panty - a shout out to Andy who is such a 'yes-man' and always on the problem solving case - , we were completely changed over on such a tight time limit with absolutely no stress from our end.

We've been up and running for a few weeks now, and staff members who were completely dedicated to the old systems are now totally sold on the new system Kounta has provided. It is an easy system to set up, use on a day to day basis and fills all of the reporting tick boxes you can have.

The fact that these teams have worked in hospitality really shows through the product; it's set up like it has been trialed for a number of years with all issues that could have arisen already ironed out.

10/10.

Pros

The ease of use, and the simplicity of the screens.

Cons

Nothing.

Leanne

Reviewed on 12/03/2017

Kounta for Cafe Use

We have found Kounta to be excellent for our cafe. Staff need no maths skills to operate it easily. the addition of photos makes product selection fast and accurate.

The only thing to watch is disgruntled staff that have been removed from rosters........they can sabotage the system by changing or deleting things. My advice, once they have been given notice immediately remove their access to Kounta and give them other duties until their time has been completed.

Pros

Overcomes the issue of staff not being able to read or do any math.
Provides multiple copies of invoices so that service can easily be tracked.
Allows lots of options to modify products which gives each client an individual experience.

Cons

Takes ages to set up if you have hundreds of products and options......but it is worth doing.

Reviewed on 08/06/2017

It is the only cloud based pos for hospitality I think we could use and run our business

It allows us to easily manage customer transaction and to report on total sales and products in a really efficient way. We've grown in our understanding of our business enormously just reusing kounta

Pros

The sales transaction from start to checkout is great. The printing of customer orders in multiple locations plus the kitchen. Modifier are also the best in the market.

Cons

Scales and scanner integration for use with a retail store. Scales can't be and scanner with Windows is clunky

Bradie

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Awsome POS system! Easy for staff, easy for management. Outstanding customer service!

Pros

Can manage from anywhere. Easy to update products on prices on the spot. Great reporting and crm. Love that you only have to use functions that you require.

Cons

I would like to be able to view only POS from device which is not assigned as register. Also, not sure if already available, but we would like to be able to process gift certificates through the till easily.

Amelia

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

Great Customer support

Immediate customer support is a huge plus

Pros

Ideal for hospitality..providing hospitality POS solutions that were once considerably more expensive. Understands the Australian market. Great customer support. Was having a problem at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning and got an immediate response from a real human. Big ticks for that!
Easy to update and maintain.

Cons

a little bit steep for a new business. But overall a great piece of software..the retail capacity is limited but works well for a cafe with a few retail items.

Jimmy

Reviewed on 28/06/2017

Horrendous POS System.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!!! MOVE ON TO THE NEXT!

Pros

Nothing to say here. There is nothing good about this system except for the promptness of my customer service, who usually has bad news. But as I now understand my customer service rep doesn't ACTUALLY work for Kounta, she works for the company that sold it to me. I wish they would have sold me one of their other POS options.

Cons

Server level order control is an upgrade, they don't tell you that when purchasing, even though that is one of the most basic things. Check splitting is the most laborious I have ever experienced, if you have a table that needs multiple splits get them a refill of their coffee because it will take a while. No over all system close out, no way to re-open a check. In lieu of that simple option they have a refund button, but, guess what if you had multiple pay types IE Cash and CC that doesn't work, can only refund whole amount to one pay type, which then screws up the server report(one of the biggest reasons to have a POS system) Integrated credit card system has worst customer service ever. If you need to get someone after 9 good luck. Randomly loses checks! Have no idea how that happens but if you are on a check and the system reloads(which it does a lot) bye bye order!

Geoff

Reviewed on 05/04/2017

Count on Kounta

Kounta is the best point of sale.
I have set up five different POS systems since 2000 and Kounta is by far the best and most flexible.
Our business could not have grown as quickly, successfully or efficiently without it.
Absolutely love the production printing set up. Nothing compares.
Team this with Tyro EFTPOS and it's a total winner for fast bar service.

Pros

Production printing and cloud operation

Cons

Needs a cash-out facility

Glen

Reviewed on 09/07/2018

Works well and very simple to use.

Ease of use. Good reporting.

Pros

It's ease of use is the most compelling feature. The reports are reasonably comprehensive too. Great for a hospitality start-up.

Cons

There are occassional troubles with printing, where the software somehow loses the fixed IP address of a printer. This is usually temporary, however. It's need to be connected to the Internet is also a con. Whilst it works a little offline, it does become unusable quickly.

Doris

Reviewed on 19/08/2018

Kouta is pretty good

Kouta is a smart point of system sale, Kounta has the most amazing customer services

Pros

Kounta system is very smart and easy to follow.

Cons

* It seems a little pricy, we are in NZ and it's in AUS dollars excl GST.
* it needs wifi connections to run all the time. (perhaps it's the trend of our world now :)

One questions in the meanwhile: is there a function to retrieve how many dishes of an item we have sold in a period of time? many thanks!

Emma

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Great product

Easy layout to navigate
Colour coafing
Can add photos of products
Lots of addon options

Cons

Cost for multiple registers
No learning platform for new staff
Addons can be costly
Account customer function could be better

Karen

Reviewed on 25/02/2017

We love kounta!

Running a sweet shop can be very busy with lots of products. We love kounta - it works for us and we find the reports and sales by information invaluable!

Pros

It's capacity to review a day's sales or last week/ year!

Cons

Stock management
Grouping of goods
No integrated weighing scales!

Santie

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

The best customer service and support I have experienced!

I am new to the hospitality industry and there is so much to learn and I need to learn fast. Kounta's excellent customer service and support has helped me tremendously to streamline my sales and to look professional. With so much to learn in the beginning, it was comforting to have a friendly voice always on the other side of the phone to assist me , and all the staff at Kounta have always been very patient with me (when I don't understand). Service like this is rare, and I absolutely appreciate it. I will always be loyal to this Company and will recommend it to everyone. Kounta has a fantastic product and they have the support to match it in order for you to utilize your products to the fullest and get value for your money. Thank you for a great product but even greater customer service and support!

Pros

The support and customer service. It is no use to have an excellent product and the user don't know how to use it. Kounta matches their excellent product with excellent support.

Cons

I have not anything negative to say about this product.