Teachable Reviews

About Teachable

Teachable is a cloud-based learning management solution used by small and midsize businesses. The solution allows users to create and share online courses by adding audio, video, images, text and PDF files. Students can access...

3.8

Mike
Mike

Reviewed on 06/02/2021

The Grass is Not Always Greener

Teachable allows me to run a great online school - and to do so with much of the functionality in one package. I do opt to substitute my own website and email automation (WordPress and Active Campaign) but I use their eCommerce payment platform and feel very confident. I have often wondered about switching but never have found an alterative that does not offer better than an alternative set of compromises.

Pros

Teachable is easy to use and does everything I need it to - and mostly very well. I also like that the company behaves ethically.

The user experience for my students is excellent and the all-in one package makes it very easy for me.

Cons

There are a few little niggles. Not a great mobile solution (but perfectly adequate) and the text editor in the course builder is low on capabilities for formatting beyond the basics (Tables? Not so much). And the placement of toolbars and save buttons is frustrating.

• Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 27/02/2020

Teachable--- Hosting Your Online Classes

My overall experience with Teachable has been very positive. Responsive customer support, improved features, and excellent onboarding training. My only frustration is the inability to auto-schedule blog posts.

Pros

I've been a Teachable user for a few years (I was a user when the name was Fedora). Since then, Teachable has been one of the most mentioned names for online course creators. One of the things I like best about Teachable is how easy it is to use the platform. In a matter of time, you can create an online course, including curriculum and media. This is super convenient for both the novice online course creator and the more experienced ones. It's a time saver!

Cons

Since 2019, the blog feature of being able to auto-schedule posting has not worked. I've placed support tickets to address the issue, but as of this writing (Feb 2020), the feature still isn't working. I write blog content well in advance and was able to schedule blog posts with ease. Now I have to set a reminder to go into my Teachable account to manually post the blog. This is not ideal.

Reasons for Choosing Teachable

SchoolKeep was changing its charging platform to a per-student model that didn't have a place in my business.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I liked the interface Teachable had (Fedora) vs. Thinkific.
Axel
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Too Expensive, Not Designed for Marketers

I wish I had signed up for the free or lower-cost plan first. It's very difficult to switch platforms, so this is a decision that requires a lot of pre-purchase diligence. I now use Systeme.io, which offers way more features at a fraction of the price.

Pros

The course building platform itself is great. Support is decent for the most part, although they don't really engage well with feature requests.

Cons

Teachable seems to look at sales as an incidental part of course creation and teaching. Here are a few examples:

1) They don't have a drag-and-drop landing page builder. The templates are really generic and it's hard to get a sleek-looking landing page.
2) No email automation. You can send one-off emails to your students, but that's it.
3) You can't add a lead magnet to collect email addresses. You'll have to pay for Convertkit (which is another $25/month) or another email list provider.
4) There are limited options to customize the checkout. You can't custom code (like Analytics), or so on because the checkout is hosted on sso.teachable.com. And there's no option for a two-step checkout - say goodbye to abandoned cart emails (unless you want to create a complicated integration).
5) Their "one-click-upsell" mechanics are super limited. They previously had this feature, but got rid of it when they upgraded their page builder. They now have an upsell, but the mechanics are clunky. Again - sales and marketing are not at the top of this company's mind.

On top of that, the pricing was expensive. $99/month (the lowest-priced annual plan with no transaction fee) is super high pricing for what you get. You're better off with Kartra (which costs the same as Teachable, but does way more) or Systeme.io (which has crazy-affordable pricing and really engages with users to improve the product)

Top Teachable Alternatives

Ruth

Reviewed on 02/02/2023

They care about making a good product - but it'll cost you.

I have used Teachable for 5+ years, started on a free tier and have gone up the tiers as my business has grown. Though they have a lot of resources for businesses starting out, the resources for growing business is lacking in my opinion. The platform itself works well, I don't come across any broken functionality or bugs - it's more that the price has become prohibitive for me and though their customer service is helpful (offered me a slight discount on the price increase) I'll still be moving to a lifetime deal with another software. To conclude - it's a great platform but be wary as a new business starting out - once you've taken that free trial and start building your business on there, it's easy to become trapped and have to pay whatever they're asking to avoid moving your whole school to another platform.

Pros

This software is easy to get started - on a Pro account you have everything you need, the free tier these days has very little. It's a great drag and drop course content & sales pages - handles all the sales and taxes if you like. Provide training to help you get started with not just the course creation but the sales side as well - I definitely found this helpful in the beginning.

Cons

There is very little in terms of tracking student progress - the mail capability is lacking - I use separate softwares for emailing, customer management and even certification (zapier & mailerlite). So those features though provided by Teachable don't have much functionality. I can see individual students log ins and progress on individual courses - but overall unable to see for instance, a list of students that havent' logged in for a certain time period - I have to look at each student individually. So it's very difficult to track the students progress overall in the school. Plus they've just put the prices up and it's very expensive now.

Udemy Business and Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

At the time it was cheaper and with more autonomy over pricing, and less commission. I think things have changed now.
Melissa

Reviewed on 15/07/2022

Teachable - It's not for everyone

Overall it is a good platform. It is a bit pricey and you'll need to be patient as it is not beginner friendly. If you already are having success in your online courses, this would be for you. If you are just starting, you might try elsewhere.

Pros

I really liked about teachable is that it allows you to setup and integrate your coaching calendar within Teachable to allow for bundles. I also really liked how easy it was to integrate the quizzes as well. The tracking module was also really good.

Cons

It was really difficult to set up the sales page. There are no marketing tools integrated with this. It is very expensive in comparison to other options as well. I did not typically have the best response with customer service - it wasn't bad though, it just wasn't good.

Kajabi and Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

Teachable was highly recommended, so I choose Teachable as it seemed the easiest to implement.
Jessica
Jessica

Reviewed on 08/01/2020

It's a great platform for my course

I have enjoyed my time with Teachable thus far and I think it's one of the best platforms out there. I'm enjoying the user-friendly process.

Pros

I was excited to find a product that was stremlined and user friendly. I even like that I can register students without registering for their monthly plan. Of course the fees are a little higher with that version but I like the 'try-before-you-buy aspect'. I like the look of it and that you will be able to creat certificates and allow students to track their progress. One of my favorite features is being able to create discount/ special codes when you want.

Cons

I don't like that i have to post a youtube URL if my videos are a little larger. This adds a little complication seeing as I'm not a techie, but it's not insurmountable.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I was a student on the other platform and didn't love the experience. I thought Teachable would be better for me as a creator and for the student side as well.
Sam

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Teachable: Course Creators are Lost Without it!

It's a smooth journey and you have everything you need in one place. Excellent UI and overall it's all you need.

Pros

The overall coverage of all features a course creator needs. They even provide a payment gateway, which alone saves you plenty in commisions and monthly fees.

Cons

Just need an Android app. Not having an Android app forces most of my students to watch the courses on their browsers.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

The first is that Teachable has an awesome reputation. Easy to use, and above all, affordable.
Katie
Katie

Reviewed on 26/07/2022

No Customer Service

Using Teachable itself was okay, but the customer service is unacceptable. The only way you can contact them is through email and they may not get back to you for several days.

I left Teachable for a different company six months ago and they STILL have a claim on my domain. If you try to access my site without the 'www', you get sent to a Teachable 404 page. I have gone through the DNS settings multiple times with my current company, and we can't do anything about it. Every time I email with an agent, they assure me that my account is closed and that Teachable isn't connected to my domain. They share screen shots, then ask me to provide them with my own. When I send them the shots showing the specific information they have asked for, they won't respond.

Regardless of your course content, you need fast, effective customer service. Teachable does not provide that.

Pros

Teachable is easy to use and I was able to set up my courses quickly in a format that was conducive to the content.

Cons

Assessments are an important part of my curriculum, but the available quiz templates were too basic for my needs. Also, when I had questions or needed help, it took days to get a response for customer service.

Baidhurya

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

The most beginner friendly online course platform

Pros

Teachable offers all the essential features one needs to create and deliver an online course. The platform is super easy to use and it allows you to get started quickly. The pricing is beginner friendly and they even have a free plan.

Cons

Teachable's website building capabilities are really limited at this point. So, unlike their competitors, they don't offer site themes and the page builder has limited customization options as well.

Meiby
Meiby

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

One versatileLLMS

In my experience it is a great teaching platforms, because it allows me to concentrate only on the part of teaching because I do not know much about programming or program updates since the same tool takes care of that and I can concentrate only on the knowledge that they want to give. Can be flexibility for the different audiencia nivel.

Pros

It has several important features but among the most outstanding is very easy to use since the platform is very intuitive and does not correspond a great challenge to use it, besides having a large number of tools from which I can attend the student as for example the power create blogs and finally their different forms of payment gateways can affiliate with different accounts being an excellent option.

Cons

It is an excellent platform because it is simple for both the teacher and the student, adapting to the preferences of the author of the course giving a great capacity for organization over the various contents.

Robin
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

Good in some areas. Poor in others.

Leadership of the company tends to focus on the money angle but I guess that's to be expected. ("You can make mega-$$$ with your courses!" and some have.) You won't find information on crafting your course but you will find plenty on how to give it a high price tag. If you can avoid the hype and have a third party email app you like to use, then Teachable is a good option. I've found it to be affordable and profitable in spite of the email problems.

Pros

The teaching platform (curriculum videos, PDFs, etc.) is good and uploads are easy. I found that building a sales page was not difficult and sending people to the sales page with discount coupons was a smooth process. Payments were collected and paid out promptly at the end of the month (for my plan). Support is by email only (no chat) and took a couple days but the answers were helpful. The plans are reasonably priced for individual teachers and consultant.

Cons

I have experienced serious problems with their built-in email application. Since this is the primary way teachers communicate with students, it should be a priority for them. There were days when it wasn't working when I needed to send links to live classes and webinars. It's difficult to customize "Welcome" emails and there's no way to schedule sends or save drafts. They recently announced that all emails would come from a strange looking email address that belongs to them (and has been labeled "spam" by my email hosting service). I've drawn their attention to these problems several times. The response is polite but there has been no move to improve the service. It's a very amateurish response. I would recommend looking at other services first OR be prepared to use a third party email service every time you want to reach your students, including new sign-ups.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 19/09/2020

I absolutely LOVE this course creation and course selling platform!

I love the professional look of Teachable and I think that makes students feel more comfortable buying online courses from "your average Joe".

Pros

For starters, it is great that you can creaet a course and put it on Teachable for free to test drive the platform and see if it will be a good fit for you and your students. I like that the platform is easy to use, customizable, NOT CLUNKY, and is professional looking.

Cons

The pricing might be a bit much if you're just starting out as a course creator and aren't sure if you're course is going to sell out the way you want it to. Other than that, there really isn't anything bad I can say about Teachable. They've done a great job creating a platform that makes it easy for anyone to sell a course they've created.

Griffin

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

BUYER BEWARE! Unlimited Plan is a LIE!

All seemed fine for the most part as we got setup. We had reached out to their team to check on getting setup on their API and warned them we expected 5,000+ customer during a 5 day time period to be added to their platform. They said that sounded fine and bragged about how they had customer much larger than us with many more customers added in a 5 day period so should be no problem.

We had our sale, we added 8,200+ users to the platform and then we immediately (even before the sale was over) got an email asking for a phone call. On the call they let us know they were happy we were successful as their mission is to help creators, but, sadly, in our case we were too successful.

They gave us an ultimatum of pay them 1% of future revenue, use their checkout, or be evicted in a little more than 1 month.

We tried to negotiate the percentage of revenue but they would not work with us. We tried to see if we could pay for some of the bandwidth overages, but they were not interested in working with us. We asked them if they would just honor their unlimited plan for the 12 months we had already pre-paid, but they were not interested in doing that either.

We asked them to give us the data from the system of Courses and Lessons completed per user so we could transition our 8,200+ customers as smoothly as possible, but they would not provide the data.

Pros

Software is OK. Company is untrustworthy.

Cons

No file security on downloads
Unlimited Plan is NOT Unlimited
[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] unwilling to honor promises of Unlimited Plan
We were forcibly evicted along with our 8,200+ customers!

Suzanne
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

I would like to like it more

The organization and the platform set up are good. The login process is seriously flawed.

Pros

I like that you can track where you are in the course and easily download resources. I like how easy it is to have the lessons structured in a logical manner, and to have different types of resources available to students.

Cons

When I see a course that I want to sign up for that is housed on Teachable, I groan.

I know it is going to take me several minutes to be able to actually start consuming the course, because even though I already have a student account, it is going to ask me to verify my sign-in. This is even though I get my login info correct. No matter what, I always have to verify my login, and either type in a code or click on a link in an email that I have to wait for.

It shouldn't be this hard, and if you are signing in on a previously used device, you should not have to go through the same sequence as you need to if you are using a new-to-Teachable device. At the very least, there should be an option to not have to verify the sign-in for two to four weeks.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

I'd recommend this

I love using Teachable, but have a lot of trouble getting others onboard to use it since it has less features than other programs.

Pros

* I love how easy it is to make an online course
* I love having a branded course and they make it easy

Cons

* I don't like how every Teachable course looks identical minus the colour scheme and logo.
* I wish it wasn't so obvious I use Teachable over other softwares

ClickFunnels

Ease of use Simplicity

Cost is better
Twanna
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 13/10/2021

Great customer support but…

I didn’t like holding funds for a period of time and the fees.

Pros

I love the customer support and how long you are able to try out the platform before making a commitment.

Cons

I wanted to love and use this platform but it was not user friendly and some of the policies didn’t sit well with me.

Holly
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

Other Platforms Out There

Pros

It's bright and engaging. Pricing okay. Help tutorial videos.

Cons

Not user-friendly, too many back links and limited design features. Too pricey compared to other platforms. I did not stick with using this platform even after attending trainings.

Podia

Pricing and design options

Erica

Reviewed on 29/06/2021

Decent but clunky

it's served my basic needs and it takes stress off my plate but as a paid platform it leaves much to be desired.

Pros

I like that we can design our own school how we want and there is a lot of space available for file storage.

Cons

It's not very streamlined - both as a school owner and as a client I have had issues with clunkiness and confusion. Not the most intuitive.

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

No 1 platform for our online video courses

We run about 10 video courses on Teachable. So far there is no better alternative for us.

Pros

Teachable is good both for the schools (authors) and students. The platforms has everytyng you need to run your online video course. Very cheap, all content is protected, multiple integrations and options allow easely scale the school.

Cons

Visual editor for creating the pages could have more blocks for sophisticated designs. Payout options may a problem for subscribers from outside the USA.

Reviewed on 02/07/2018

Highly customizable software platform for diverse courses, learning groups, and users.

Pros

No two courses need look the same in Teachable -- this software provides excellent and robust options for designing course layout, modules, accessibility, focus areas, and more, while remaining quick to learn and use, which is a plus for busy instructors.

Cons

Not as many students arrive to the class with prior experience using a Teachable-hosted course. The software learning curve is quick and easy, but a bit of learning time is helpful to include.

Latasha

Reviewed on 09/04/2020

Teachable is great for content creators!

Overall, my experience has been great! Their customer service team is super helpful when you need them and the platform is very familiar to a lot of other bloggers and online business owners.

Pros

If you are looking to create courses or to grow your online business Teachable is the place to be. I have been using this platform to host my courses and it has been super great. I love how you can create sales pages for each of your courses to help boost sales.

Cons

The only con about Teachable is that they recently changed how their creators can design their sales pages for their courses. This can be a learning curve if you don't know much about web designing.

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Fast Start for Online Courses

I advise anyone who would like to sell his or her online courses. It has very user friendly interface.

Pros

It has a free plan and you can test most of significant features of the application

Cons

So important some of features are closed in free plan

Reviewed on 07/06/2023

Have Used As A Student, May Use As An Instructor

I have mostly used Teachable as a student and have enjoyed the process. As I noted in the "cons" section, it used to be difficult and confusing to set up your course access, but this appears to be fixed now. Once you had your course access set up, the rest was smooth sailing.I am currently testing Teachable out from the instructor side. I have a couple of courses in development and Teachable is a contender for a hosting platform. So far it seems relatively easy to use and fairly priced. If I go with Teachable as an instructor, I will update my review to further reflect my experience.

Pros

- easy to students to use - no cost on the student side

Cons

In the past, accessing courses was difficult (this looks to be fixed now)

Oliver

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Used to be a lot better

Pros

Very easy to set up courses, videos load fast and uptime is high

Cons

All additional features added within the past 2 years have made the software less user friendly on the backend. Difficult dealing with customer support on lower tier plans.

Gene
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Best Platform I Found

There is only a small learning curve. It is possible to be up and running quickly. The platform seems to be very stable.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use is excellent. The pricing model works best for our purposes.

Cons

Lack of graded quizzes with out moving into a more costly plan.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

The pricing model worked best for us.