Trello Reviews

About Trello

Trello is a visual collaboration tool for planning tasks and projects. While commonly used by agile software development teams, the solution is also used in other departments such as marketing, sales, support and HR. The...

Browse Trello Reviews

23,107 of 23,107 reviews
Danny
Danny

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Scalable and flexible project planning and task management software.

This is software that we use every single day. I also use Trello in a professional capacity. It is easy to get up and running, and easy to get clients onboarded with it as well.

Pros

We love how flexible Trello is. We have separate boards for different projects and even for our internal team management and admin tasks like accounting and HR. There is no "right way" to set up Trello, which means you can mold it to your own needs.

Cons

Over the years, they've included less and less in the free version, but if you're running a business, the pricing is fair and scalable to pay for it.

Basecamp and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana seemed like it was more geared toward larger teams and just simply wasn't as intuitive to get in and set it up.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Basecamp didn't have a freemium model. You get a free trial, then must pay to continue using. Trello lets you use the free version perpetually until you grow into paying for it. ClickUp seemed way to robust and monolithic for our needs. Trello was much simpler to get up and running.
Melissa
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Perfect for Digital Task/Project Tracking!

Pros

As someone who prefers to track my tasks, projects, and deadlines digitally rather than writing things down manually, Trello has met my needs for this.

I love how customizable it is from the aesthetics, list creations as well as being able to share this with my manager and director for collaboration, tracking, and updates.

Cons

At the moment, there aren't any elements of Trello that I dislike. It's currently meeting everything I'm looking for in terms of digital tracking for my work.

• Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Great for the basics, but struggles with anything more.

It helps us with quick organisational tasks, and seeing ideas laid out infront of us does help with productivity. But sometimes Trello just isn't powerful enough for actual task management and tracking, and this is a chore having to move your cards into another system all the time. It should have a pro-level tier for people who want more control over their management of the boards.

Pros

Trello is great, it's simple to use, and has loads of clever UX devices that make tracking and updating tasks a joy. We use it quite often within our organisation whenever something needs "organising fast" - we're not expecting to track the progress of the entire project through Trello, but the occasional breakout.

We've most often used Trello to round up our "ideas" phase, and then moved onto a more complex project management tool after that.

The interface is simple, the free level is "about right" and there are just enough features for you to get going quickly.

Trello is great for quick organisational tasks, that need to be presented in a visual way, or they are good for information sharing (literally a pin-board of ideas works well) - and has reduced the need for post-it-notes everywhere in the office.

Cons

There comes a point in every Trello boards life when the user will go "ok, now it's time to move this all away from Trello"

Task management is .. laborious at best, with no real way of tracking time, burndowns, productivity, velocity, or any other metric that tells a project manager if the job is "getting done", it's simply not built for that and trying to implement methods that will make it work, just result in frustration.

It's also a bit lightweight on the features for the free trial version, quite a few things are locked off behind the paywall (which is fine) - but also, we feel that there isn't *enough* features behind the paywall which would incentivise us to purchase a license.

So the bottom line with Trello is it's great for short term, simple tasks and idea sharing, but anything more heavy duty that needs to be updated regularly and it will struggle.

Top Trello Alternatives

Dr. Jeanette
Dr. Jeanette

Reviewed on 08/11/2023

Trello Is A Must Have With Project Management and Team Collaboration

Trello is a fantastic way to organize professional and personal projects. I use it professionally to create projects and tasks with my virtual team. I use it personally to keep my grocery list and homeschool resources organized. When we relocated to another state a few months ago, I created a moving checklist in Trello and it helped me keep tasks and contact information all in one place on my phone!

Pros

Trello is user-friendly, collaborative, and inexpensive. I am a solopreneur and have used the free version for the past 5 years. It accomplishes all my needs and I am able to collaborate with my virtual assistants without delays.

Cons

The customer service is terrible. They basically read off their website and are not able to answer questions. It's a good thing I've have only needed Customer Service twice in 5 years.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello was recommended to me by a trusted colleague and it was free!
SAM
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Trello's Great

Pros

Easy to manage projects and collaborate.

Cons

There are a lot of options and lots of buttons. Could have simpler UI

Reviewed on 11/11/2023

Trello App Review

Overall was great but i opt out to use Notion.

Pros

It is a app that is user-friendly, easy to use

Cons

I need to purchase a subscription to be able to activate an alarm for a comment or subtask

Notion

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Notion is much more powerful and at the same time it is free

TickTick and Notion
Rudith
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 24/01/2024

Powerful Amzing tool

Trello makes im.possible possible
This is a ultimate teamwork project management tool

Pros

Trello is a visual tool that EMPOWERS EVERY TEAM TO MANAGE ANY TYPE OF PROJECT TASK OR WORKFLOW TRACKING

Cons

Nothing for its a buddy .help and a friend of me ,on my daily task

Bryan
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 16/02/2024

Making work a lot more fun

I like it a lot. It makes my work flow mich more manageable and I can easily track my activities and know what to prioritize.

Pros

Its good project management tool for beginners and any team thats wants to have an organized work flow

Cons

Interface needs some improvement. Its not for everyone but I kinda like it, some of my friends don't. I guess it depends on people's preferences.

Kam Ling

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

Listening to the market

Pros

I've been using Trello since year 2015. And I see its growth in the features and usability from then to now. I like how they listen to what the market wants and develop the features accordingly.

Cons

They lost me in the middle when their other competitors delivered better UI/UX. But they are the first to implement Kanban that got me engaged.

Sunil
Sunil
  • Industry: Medical Devices
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Trello is the best and easy tool for your project management

Pros

Navigation is so easy and the design is impressive when it compared to similar projects.

Cons

UI, workspace arrangement area and task management.

Cory
Cory
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Effective organization through limited options

On an individual level, Trello is a great organization and task-tracking tool. It also works well for content deployment planning, and for smaller team collaboration. It is difficult to scale to larger teams or departments.

Pros

Trello is extremely intuitive and easy to use. The creation and sharing of multiple workspaces also allows for easy communication and interaction with all members of an individual team. The small amount of features (in the free or lower price-tier options) works as a benefit to its ease of use.

Cons

It is not as fully featured as other project and task management options. Depending on your team's specific use case, these limitations may act as barriers for what could be easily achievable using other systems.

Jira

Reasons for Choosing Trello

The organization's focus shifted from time tracking to task tracking. While Toggl was great for the former, Trello far surpassed its capabilities in the latter.

Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Trello

As a more extensive management system, JIRA was less of an out-of-the-box solution than Trello. Adopting Trello allowed for a much swifter transition into task-tracking.
Kathleen
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Easy and Effective Project Management

When I travel and I have on-going projects in the office, Trello makes it easier for me to be aware of progress or problems. I get notifications on my phone when a team members adds to a project or task -- I can easily check it out and not get bogged down in an endless email trail!

Overall, IO really enjoy using Trello and recommend it often. There are a lot of uses in addition to project management. I have a board for collecting and organizing recipes! So I use Trello for both work and personal use.

Pros

I use Trello to manage projects in a very busy marketing office. The ability to easily assign tasks, see progress and have all of this shared by a group is tremendously helpful. The simplicity of the user interface is great, along with the playfulness of the app -- from helpful hints from Taco to the "wiggle" of moving a task from In Progress to Done! And, of course this is all available on desktop and mobile devices. Two other handy features I use frequently are: creating a a card from a webpage via a bookmark and the "send to" on by mobile devices.

Cons

Because the software is so easy to use, I had the tendency to create a too many Boards and suddenly it was taking more time to organize all the various boards and lists I had created. But, taking a breath and thinking a bit more BEFORE setting up a project, made everything fall back into an orderly layout!

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Better team sharing via Trello; more pleasing visual interface

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello was the right solution at the right price point for me. And my students enjoy using it!
Vanessa

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

I LOVE TRELLO!!!! It will change your life.

Best organizational tool out there! Highly recommend for home and work use. The possibilities are endless.

Pros

Everything!!! The customization, the integrations, the data it can sort/ share, team collaboration, organizational flows (for personal and work related items). Trello has change my life and my clients lives. I manage real estate listings and transactions for clients in here and they can see everything I do. They know exactly where they are in the listing or transaction process and we can easily communicate with each other. It is also very helpful for storing data and tracking workflow.

On a personal level, I love it for keeping track of grocery lists, sale items, projects, health insurance issues. All of the above. I am a new mom and put questions for my daughter predication in Trello and pull out the list at each appointment. I love that it can be used on a desktop or mobile device and so easily.

I also love that it is FREE for up to 10 users and had thousands of integrations with other programs and apps. It is great tool for small businesses!

Cons

The downside it you have to share whole boards, not just specific cards. It would be the end all be all if they could build in this feature. It has been my greatest struggle with my business model.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Great Tool for Staying on Track

It's a great tool. The paradigm of board / list / card is easy to follow and simple to teach to even the most technophobic user.

Pros

Trello's "board / list / card" format makes it great for sharing tasks and passing them over to other departments to track production flow. Our company produces upwards of 200 new products per year so the production details are passed between departments and handed-off with ease with this tool.

Cons

The Free Tier versus the Business Tier is a big jump. There's very little room to tiptoe into the commercial version of the tool. The Business version is expensive for large organizations. That being said, the free tier does everything we need it to do. The biggest downside of this system is that you can potentially back up the system by downloading json files, but there is NO TOOL to restore lost data! One would have to manually re-enter every card and every detail in the system which would be a disaster. They really do need to focus on their import/export abilities which are currently completely nonexistent.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana wasn't quite what we needed for our particular requirements, and Trello was very very easy to adapt to our needs.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

A department head had previous experience with Trello and was convinced it was the perfect tool for our needs. They were right.

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Great tool for project management

Trello is our go-to tool for planning and executing projects. We use it to plan and execute projects across multiple teams and functions and it works very well - everyone knows how to use it, everyone follows the boards, works great. We use Asana for my team and Trello for cross-company project planning.

Pros

- Trello is great for planning and executing projects
- It's especially useful when multiple teams/depts are involved
- Unlike Asana, it's easy to add freelancers and external partners to Trello and have them follow the workflow
- Trello is super easy to set up and use
- No enablement is needed - it's just intuitive

Cons

- The functionality is very basic and upgrading to paid plan costs the same as Asana (which has more goodies for us)
- When we have boards with external parties and try to upgrade, we need to pay for the 'guests' as well and that blocks us
- Sub tasks don't have a deadline functionality, which is a pity

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Google Sheets isn't a scalable solution for tasks management. It works for 1-3 people, but above that a proper tool is necessary.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello is free & more convenient for cross-teams projects.
Jeremiah
Jeremiah

Reviewed on 16/02/2020

The simplest project management tool I've ever used

Trello is incredible. For a small, agile, team trying to manage the day-to-day operations, it's perfect. If you're looking for something to manage organizations in the hundreds or thousands, or something with sophisticated reporting, I'd look at other options.

Pros

Trello is dead simple. It takes about 30 seconds to signup and start using it for task management, and another 15 minutes to start understanding how to do some more sophisticated tasks with the tool.

It's also extremely easy to use for collaboration. Because of the easy signup it's better than most tools for bringing in other team members and easily working them into the everyday flow of the software.

I also love that it's free for the basic tools. We have a team of 12 people who use it on a daily basis and have never had to pay for usage. That said, if we wanted to use it with other teams we'd likely need to pay, but it's still substantially less expensive than the alternatives.

With Trello it's really easy to manage multiple boards which is super handy because I can manage both personal and business tasks from the same website, without needing to switch logins.

Cons

There's not much to dislike about Trello when used for smaller teams/organizations.

The core features are definitely a bit limited compared to other top project management tools, but there's a lot of really solid additions on paid plans that help level it up.

It probably wouldn't be my choice for project management in an organization of hundreds, but for our purposes it works extremely well.

Jira, Basecamp and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Jira was too complex for what we needed.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Trello

We wanted something simple, and easy to setup.
Rachel

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Love this product, very visual and straightforward, highly recommend

Pros

There is SO much to like about this software, it's hard to narrow down. The versatility of the software is incredible. We have a variety of different teams (e.g. photography, video, writing, web development...) and each team's boards are completely independent of one another, with completely different workflows. Other tools seem restrictive whereas Trello is incredibly customizable, and change is easy. We were also able to create templates for each team's workflow, which made building out new project requests a total breeze. The calendar powerup is incredibly helpful, adn the ability to build out cards with checklists, labels, due dates, attachments, etc. gives the perfect amount of flexibility and accountability tracking we need. I could go on and on about this software, I absolutely love it.

Cons

When the pricing structure changed a year or two ago, we had to totally restructure our work to be able to keep the software (we are state funded and could not afford our current structure once the price increased). We had to transition from nine teams to one team, separated out by tags. We have a TON of boards, so this was less than ideal but still totally manageable.

The one other thing I like least is the limitations placed on board powerups. They are SO useful, and the tool is still incredible without them, but I wish my whole team had gotten to experience the powerups (I was one of the only Gold members).

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello offered us the ability to maintain workplace autonomy by allowing each of our production teams their own customized workflows and ability to track all communication, updates, progress, etc. in one place.
Aminuddin
Aminuddin
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 29/01/2021

Helpful in keeping project in time frame

I have use it for almost 3 year and Trello has help me and my team to connect, communicate and collaborate on project more organized. The to-do list keep us with daily task that needed to be complete daily, and assigning certain task to specific user.

Pros

Planning and executing task or project using the Kanban board provided by Trello has improve our work process and effectiveness.

Cons

I have really enjoy using Trello as our project management and nothing major that i like least with this software.

Jakob
Jakob
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

Simple but gets the job done

I am pleased with using Trello. Being able to track various projects and manage information individually.
The free tier works well for almost everything, which is great for the average user, and a bummer for Trello's bottom line. If you are working with a team or need to share information with others, Asana is probably a better choice.

Pros

Base product of organizing information in to kanban boards works great. Trello is reliable, and rarely crashes. It is easy to get information in to different boards and track various states using the kanban approach to information.

Cons

Trello's simplicity is also a limiting factor. You need to start bolting on various power ups or 3rd party integrations to transform the application to a power user state. While some power ups work well, others are very buggy.

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Needed the ability to categorize information and ideas in ways that a traditional spreadsheet fell short.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Trello

I use Trello primarily for my projects and planning. Asana works well, but is entirely geared towards working for teams.
Kenny

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

Collaboration made easy with Trello. I'm loving it!

I can't say anything bad about Trello. I tried a couple of tools, then discovered Trello and haven't used anything else after that. It was very easy to start with Trello, without needing documentation. Very intuitive platform with a clear interface. I would certainly recommend this tool.

Pros

I used Trello for managing multiple new projects with a team of 5-10 people. I like the way I can customize the look & feel of project boards. Trello works very fast, has a smooth interface and is quite flexible. You can often just drag & drop things around and make changes with a few clicks. I find it very easy to use, which is why I kept using it over the years. I tried other tools, but stayed with Trello as I found it the easiest to use.

Cons

I haven't used all features of Trello yet as I like to keep things simple for myself and the team. Maybe would be cool to be able to further customize the 'theme' of a board and some settings, especially if you would have a very large project, but for my purposes I'm happy with the things I can do.

Ernesto
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 06/01/2022

Trello Review

I've been using Trello now for over 2 years and have fully integrated this software until business as usual. It helps with project managememt and collaborating internally and with our customers.

Pros

Having tried several varied project management softwares over the years Trello is not only the easiest to use but is so user friendly that anyone can start using from day one and within days will be an expert on its use. It's also free which is amazing.

Cons

Maybe adding an option to change view styles would be an added extra worth having

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Cost and mobile app led me to move away from Microsoft to using Trello.

Microsoft Project

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Once I began using it the choice was clear
Simeon
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 12/05/2023

trello project management tool

as a user, I appreciate Trello's customization options, which enable them to tailor the tool to their specific workflows. By creating custom labels, due dates, and checklists, users can adapt Trello to suit their project management needs. This flexibility allows individuals and teams to work in a way that aligns with their unique processes, resulting in more streamlined and efficient workflows.

Pros

Trello's user interface is clean, visually appealing, and easy to navigate. The board and card system, with its drag-and-drop functionality, allows users to organize and prioritize tasks effortlessly. The simplicity of the interface makes it accessible to users of all levels of technical expertise. Trello provides users with the flexibility to adapt the tool to their specific workflows and needs. Users can create customized boards, lists, and cards, and define their own labels, due dates, and checklists. This flexibility makes Trello suitable for various project types and teams, whether it's for personal task management or collaborative team projects. Power-Ups feature provides additional functionality and automation options. Users can integrate third-party services and add-ons to automate repetitive tasks, track time, generate reports, and enhance productivity. Power-Ups enable users to customize Trello to suit their specific project management needs.

Cons

I Cant say that there is anything I dislike about Trello.

Matt
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

More than just virtual sticky notes, a great way to manage To Dos.

I have used Trello for many years for managing projects and To-Dos for IT scrum processes, and I honestly don't know what I would do without it - it really does help keep everything organized and running smoothly.

Pros

We use Trello for managing our software development in a Scrum workflow. We have separate boards for backlog items, current sprint items, and completed items. We utilize the scrum for trello add-on that gives us the ability to add estimates and actual work time spent on each card. This gives us a simple list of items to manage that Trello makes very easy to move around. It is hard to explain exactly how great this makes managing the workflow, but it is all centered around how easy Trello makes it to use their software. You can litterally just click into an item and start typing and then click to drag and drop that item around. The super simple interface that eliminates the need for training on the tool is what is really great about it. Keeping the interface simple and easy to use builds instant adoption from users across the organization. To top it off, the free version of this software is very functional - eventually you will want to purchase for extra features like active directory integration, but it is great that they let you use a very functional feature rich version of the software at no cost for an indefinite amount of time.

Cons

My only complaint, and this is more of a feature request than a complaint is when you have a large number of cards it would be nice to group cards and be able to view or manage cards in a group. Sometimes we have several items that are tied to an epic, and when something changes related to that epic you need to visit and update each card. We keep track of these with careful naming of the cards that includes the epic name, but it would be nice to have a more integrated way of managing these groups of cards.

Vincent

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

Trello for Task tracking in Fiji Businesses

With Trello, Human Resource efficiency is achieved very well. Time & Money spent on meetings have been cut down to a minimum which leads to a huge savings by the company. The overall experience of using Trello has be beneficial and I would recommend this to all Small & Medium Enterprise as a tool to keep track of projects & tasks.

Pros

Trello is very useful for any company especially when there is a project needed to be completed by the team. Firstly, organizing tasks for individual employees on individual boards is very easy. Once you login you can easily get around and figure things out because of the simplistic setup. Assigning & Archiving tasks is very simple. Secondly, Trello helps with a problem that is rife among companies in Fiji and everywhere else in the world. With Trello, Managers and supervisors have no need of calling meetings to check on the progress of each team member. In my experience, Trello saved us a lot of valuable time as my boss did not need to have a meeting to check on the progress of certain tasks assigned. Instead Trello was used as a gauge to see whether projects would be completed in time. Also, with Trello you can access all your tasks from your mobile device. You also receive real time notification if someone comments on your card or mentions you in a comment. This is very helpful especially when you are always on the go.

Cons

Trello, although very effective, is also very limited in terms of the project it can handle. Small projects are perfect for Trello but not large scale ones. For example, in our company, we would use the app for things like ordering a helicopter part overseas and also handling the freight and shipping up until it is being delivered. Also, storage data is limited so attachments like mp4 videos & other large media files cannot be uploaded. Sometimes we would like to attach videos on Trello just to give a clearer picture to the Managers who would be reading it and its an issue when the storage space allowed is very limited. Moreover, a hindering component of Trello is the fact that without Internet you cannot view or update tasks. Since there is no desktop version it puts pressure on the employees to have data at all times to make sure they know what's going on with every single task.

ClickUp

Easy to use and Simple.
Nathan
Nathan

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

The good, the not so good and all of Trello

Pros

Trello is an easy to use to-do list/project management app. After being introduced to it 3 years ago, its the one todo list app that I keep coming back to.

1) The intuitive design of Trello makes it easy to get started. Its functions just work, whether its drag and drop, moving cards across lists, or setting up boards, you can easily get started using Trello in minutes. Trello's simplicity aids in its overall feel and use.
2) Trello's cards & lists allow you to really go in depth with project planning. While other platforms may have to do lists of sorts, with Trello's you get a checklist for each card, which can be a task with sub tasks. The use of the boards and lists also helps for those that need deep project management features
3) Trello has some hidden gems such as free downloadable boards, a Calendar view for lists vs using the standard board view, Power Ups and easy integration with email, shortcuts and more. You can use Trello to manage projects in many different ways. I like to think of it as a Swiss Army knife for Project Management.
4) Its mostly free. Its hard to really beat free stuff and Trello is right up there. Most features can be used without paying so thats really great.

Cons

My only gripes with Trello are:
1) The lack of new features in a while. It feels like the only progress of Trello is coming from Power Ups.
2) I tend to whine a lot about mobile app support and while I feel the current versions are sufficient, but the lack of a dedicated Apple Watch app for example is a bummer. To Do list apps like Things have apps for every platform including Apple Watch.
3) Trello is great for smaller teams but if you have a large team collaborating on Trello can be cumbersome.