About BerniePortal

BerniePortal is a cloud-based human resources software platform for small and midsize employers. BerniePortal’s features address each phase of the employee lifecycle from hiring to COBRA administration including: applicant...

Browse BerniePortal Reviews

Jennifer P.

Fantastic Team

Pros

The total customer experience definitely exceeds expectations. If we have suggestions on how to improve our team is very responsive and listens to our suggestions and usually implements them very quickly.

Cons

Some of the employees are our groups don't have access to a computer so they find it difficult to navigate.

Bunny P.

Reviewed on 22/08/2017

Highly Engaged

Efficiency and continuity of information delivery of insurance benefits in addition to legible enrollment forms with complete information.

Pros

The toggle inputs make setting up the portal easy, and, if you have all the pieces (census, subgroup designations, rates, and benefit summaries), a portal can be setup in a day, versus 6-8 weeks on other systems. We utilize the portal mainly during open enrollment since it provides an easy way to post age rates or composite rates and provides a delivery mechanism for ACA required Summary of Benefits and Coverage. It leverages much of the data held in the system to pre-populate enrollment forms and collect actual signatures (via touchscreen or mouse).  It also offers Onboarding capabilities (I-9, W-4, Handbook receipts, etc.) for those companies who want to go paperless.  We launched the portal with our 50+ clients first in order for them to capitalize on the 1095 reporting capabilities with BerniePortal then rolled out portals for smaller clients at their renewal. The system is compatible with any device that can connect to the internet so even field employees can enroll using their phone. We have monthly support calls with our BerniePortal Account Manager to discuss newly released features and provide feedback on cases in progress.

Cons

The system architecture is updated frequently and changes are not always announced, so sometimes we find feature changes that we did not know were happening. Many times these are minor, and improvements, but there have been features removed that we appreciated using. Most rating methods can be accommodated like age rates and composite rates for standard lines of coverage. Disability rate tables can be challenging to setup yourself, but the BerniePortal team is available to handle some or all benefit setups. They have a Defined Employer Contribution mechanism, but currently do not have a Defined Employee Contribution mechanism. Adoption and use by the HR administrator is ultimately needed to gain the most value and utility from the system. Standard client data reports are available for download, but custom reports cannot currently be generated.

Diana E.

Reviewed on 22/08/2017

Positive over all. Great responsiveness from success team. Buildout process can be challengin...

It is highly customizable which is very valuable to our firm and the small group market we primarily serve.

Pros

It tackles online benefits administration and onboarding in a very unique way. It is designed by brokers with brokers in mind. It is intuitive and has a user interface that is easy to understand. It is constantly being updated and improved. It gets better every day.

Cons

The build out process can be painful. The build out request form leaves a lot to be desired. There are always a lot of errors in the way the groups and plans are built and because testing a portal is difficult sometimes those errors don't get discovered until the site is live. There is not user guide/manual/step by steps/instructions available so you can't independently trouble shoot, I always have to send an email.

Top BerniePortal Alternatives

Joshua S.

Bernie Portal is great!

I am finding Bernie Portal to be a great value add for my agency. My groups like the portal, it is easy to use, and it helps me get new business and retain what i already have. I am a big fan!

Pros

I like the fact that Bernie Portal is so focused on the broker. The fact that they build each website for me and update each year on renewal makes Bernie Portal such a great partner for my agency.

Cons

Every now and then i run into something that a group may want to do that Bernie Portal just can't accommodate. Usually however, many of these small issues at some point in time get resolved as Bernie continues to innovate and upgrade their portal.

Andrea K.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

BerniePortal - Outdated

I've been using BerniePortal for a little over a year to track our benefit enrollments, etc. If it would get some upgrades I'd use it much more often.

Pros

Has a lot of cool features but the look and feel are very outdated. Layout is easy to use and easy to navigate.

Cons

The system has a lot of potential but the look and feel of the program are old and extremely outdated. If some upgrades were made it would be great.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Gets you organized

Pros

Moving us from paper to digital. The best thing was how simple it was to use. I have employees that varies in age and computer knowledge and it was so easy! They were able to log in, fill out the form with ease and submit. Accessing the information after the fact was simple and the staff was just so happy that we went digital. On the back end as the administrator, it has all the reports I need and more. It was easy to go back and review files.

Cons

They have several additional features that you can use. However, they need more updates for it to be worthwhile.

Response from Bernard Health

We are thrilled that BerniePortal has been a valuable organizational tool for you! In regards to your comment on our additional HR features, we would love to hear your feedback on how to improve our product. We are continually developing our product and especially value our users' input. If you have any recommendations, please contact your Client Success representative.

Replied 08/01/2019
Susan K.
  • Industry: Human Resources

HR Benefits Coordinator

It s a great experience

Pros

Easy to use, fast, to the point. It isn't difficult to use

Cons

Nothing. I have experienced great things with this program

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

New BerniePortal User

I would not recommend the BerniePortal and will be looking for a new solution. It may work for smaller employers with less employees, but it is not the solution for larger employers with more active enrollment needs.

Pros

We just used this software for our recent open enrollment period. Employees were able to enroll easily in their benefits and see their options.

Cons

The biggest problems are on the back side. There is no provision for passive enrollment years. The reports are very difficult to get to and are not well written for the benefit professional. The report request is processed and then you are supposed to be emailed a report, but they don't always come through and then they expire if they get caught in your spam filter. We had major issues with getting accurate change report information to report to the carriers - it was not clear what exactly changed from last year to the new year. There is a very nice dashboard, but it can't be used to pull enrollment data for the plans.

Response from Bernard Health

Thank you for your feedback. You mentioned that, "The report request is processed and then you are supposed to be emailed a report, but they don't always come through and then they expire if they get caught in your spam filter." This problem can be resolved by adjusting the settings in your email inbox. I recommend adjusting these settings so that you will receive the email reports sent by BerniePortal. If you continue to have problems, I recommend contacting your broker or looking at the BerniePortal Knowledge Base. Both of these are excellent resources that may provide insight into the challenges you are experiencing.

Andrea B.

It serves a purpose

My employees have found it easy to maneuver around the system and I puts spelling and ss numbers in their control so errors are less likely.

Pros

It helped move our benefit selection to an online process

Cons

It won't let me pull reports properly - it keeps telling me I already downloaded the report and I cant get it again even with different parameters.

Response from Bernard Health

We're glad to hear that BerniePortal has been able to simplify benefits administration for you. I'd like to touch on one point from your review to improve your BerniePortal experience: "It won't let me pull reports properly." In order to fully investigate this problem, we will need more information. I recommend working with the Employer Success team or your broker in order to resolve the problem. Each of these teams has undergone extensive BerniePortal training and should be able to help you resolve your issue. Thank you for your feedback!

Chris R.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 28/08/2017

The system is easy to understand and use, and the customer service is top notch.

Ease of administration for both the employees and HR teams.

Pros

The software is extremely easy to use and understand for both employers and employees. The features are far greater than the majority of other software choices out there.

Cons

The payroll integration I think. I know the software isn't intended to be a payroll system, but the question I get asked the most is if it does payroll as well. I'd say about 50% of my clients and prospects voice that they'd like it to also do payroll, not just integrate. Also would be nice to have an Android app, not just an app for the iPhone.

Karen V.
  • Industry: Government Relations

Great Service

It has been especially useful during the open enrollment process, making it so much easier and effective.

Pros

It is so easy to use and makes HR functions less stressful.

Cons

Haven't experienced any problems with software.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Bernieportal review

Overall my experience has been good. The support team is always quick to answer any of my questions as well. It is very user-friendly.

Pros

It is very easy to use and files all my hr docs in one place.

Cons

I have issues with it syncing to paychex

Vertesia P.

Reviewed on 29/06/2021

Okay for small business

Pros

I liked that I didn't have to post separately on Indeed.

Cons

Lots of things are missing, and my biggest feature improvement recommendation would be in the onboarding. It doesn't allow candidates to save and return at a later time. Also, candidates cannot sign on to actual documents; they have to download the attachment to read the documents. I could go on about how minimalistic this software is.

Response from Bernard Health

We appreciate your feedback! We're always making improvements based on user feedback and the functionality you mentioned was released a few months ago. We're going to have a member of our employer success team reach out to you to show you how incremental onboarding works. Thanks again for your feedback and being a BerniePortal customer!

Replied 01/07/2021
Rosemary P.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

Human Resources Administrator

Currently we are using for onboarding new hires & open enrollment. This is all electronic so the new hire or employee does not have a bunch of paper forms to complete.

Pros

Very easy to learn and navigate; reporting capabilities

Cons

Nothing yet, I am fairly new at this company.

Crystal M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

An all in one HR software

Pros

Great software for employee onboarding, eliminates all the typical paperwork and saves time!

Cons

Would be great to use with other software, such as for scheduling

Jennifer T.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

All of my employees info in one place

Pros

I love how I can easily access all of my employees in one spot. My broker can also access all census reports so I dont have to.

Cons

Not sure yet. It seems extremely easy to use.

Moneta J.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

First Time User

Overall, this appears to be an asset to our company.

Pros

I like the fact that there are multiple ways to view your reports for employees. The ease and speed of access is greatly appreciated.

Cons

So far, nothing negative to say, however this is our first year using this software.

Timothy S.

Easy

Pros

Easy to use. Straight forward software that is easy to use.

Cons

A little bit slow. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to get going.

Linda A.

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

New to the software.

Pros

Eliminates paperwork and puts everything in one place.

Cons

A little confusing to the less computer savvy employees.

Meghan elise G.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Customer support worth the price

We were looking at having to hire two support staff immediately to support new & renewal business Q4. With Bernie's ease of implementation and instant streamlining effect we were able to defer to Q1 so we can spend much needed time searching, thoughtfully rather than desperately, for our one new staff member. Eliminated the need for a second one.

Pros

The fact that I don't have to build out anything or learn how to code to be able to use it and show my clients how to use it. I have one person at Bernie to communicate with and he builds everything needed to make me look good and my clients feel confident in the technology. I truly love not having a revolving phone bank of support or having to create a ticket online and wait for someone to pick it up.

Cons

Really can't think of a negative right now and haven't heard anything negative about it from any clients to date.

Jen F.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Experience with Bernie Portal for Benefits Management

Our broker recommended BerniePortal to administer benefits, rather than our current payroll/HR provider's system. In hindsight, we probably would have just stuck with one system. Bernie is probably useful for overall employee/HR management, but since we have only used it for benefits administration, I haven't seen the full picture of what it can do.

Pros

It's very easy to add an employee to the system and to pull up individual benefits enrollment information. Terminations are also easy, and COBRA administration is handled by Bernie.

The employee list shows you at a glance who is enrolled, who still needs to enroll, and who needs to "onboard."

Employee enrollment in benefits is user-friendly and straightforward. Employees are shown the costs of each of their selections along the way, and can easily make changes prior to completing enrollment.

Cons

The reports aren't very useful. I'm not able to pull up a simple report that tells me (for example) the employee's name plus their enrollment choices. It would be really helpful to be able to do this when reconciling statements from our benefits providers with actual enrollment.

I wish I could add and "onboard" a part-time employee who is not eligible for benefits in one step. Since we only use Bernie for benefits administration, there's no reason for them to "onboard" when they can't enroll in anything.

It's been difficult to get an API / integration going with our payroll/HR software provider.

I had to learn the system on my own. I tried to get some in-person training but was not successful.

Katherine L.

Bernie Portal review

It is very time intensive to get a group set up correctly in the portal. The carrier forms are not filled out completely. There isn't direct enrollment with the carriers. The carrier forms must be printed out and enrollment completed on carrier website. With not all the information filled in on the enrollment forms it makes it necessary for us to contact the employee to verify information needed for the online enrollments.

Pros

It is easy for Employees to complete their benefit elections in one place.

Cons

Not all the needed information is mapped onto the carrier forms when enrollments are completed.

Response from Bernard Health

Thanks for your feedback - We would like to help resolve any issues by clarifying a few points on BerniePortal functionality stated in your review: 1) "It is time intensive to set a group up": Every licensee receives unlimited group build outs through their Client Success representative. We suggest reaching out to your Client Success partner to see how you can speed up this process. 2) "Not all carrier form information is mapped onto forms" - BerniePortal's form mapping feature allows users to create custom fields that can be mapped onto any form if the existing option doesn't already exist in the menu. 3) "Carrier forms must be printed out & enrollment completed on the carrier website" - BerniePortal has the infrastructure necessary to allow carriers to pull benefits data. Unfortunately, not all carriers have the same technology & cannot integrate. We suggest exploring BernieBill, a BerniePortal feature that allows carriers to issue bills directly from BerniePortal.

Amy W.

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

A great business decision!

BerniePortal helps us to bring real solutions to our clients. We love our client support team member(s) and value our relationship with the BerniePortal team. That support facilitates our success!

Pros

Ease of use, constantly evolving, great customer support

Cons

We did not find this software sooner than 2016.

Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

The benefits of using the BerniePortal

The BerniePortal is best in class in terms of an onboarding and benefits system. It captures the data and eliminates lengthy forms from having to be filled out manually and then transmitted.

Pros

I like the connection that the BerniePortal makes with new hires even before they join the organization. The ability to onboard and get the HR paperwork out of the way is a great asset for our organization.

Cons

There are a lot of changes made to the portal and these changes are rolled out quickly and sometimes this causes errors with capturing information and submitting it to third party vendors.

Teresa M.

Reviewed on 09/03/2018

We use Bernie Portal for about 50 groups, almost all without a hitch.

It makes employee benefit open enrollment and carrier updates so much faster and smoother.

Pros

The customer support is amazing. My questions are answered promptly, and they are responsive to suggestions and ideas.

Cons

The reporting functions are pretty basic. There is a spreadsheet of data that is useful, but I have to sort through it all to get what I want.