About 7shifts

7shifts is an online employee scheduling software system designed for shift workers operating in the restaurant industry. The solution allows employees to check their upcoming shifts, scheduled availability and time-off requests...

Browse 7shifts Reviews

867 of 1,529,388 reviews
Tracy B.

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Great for small business with lots of moving parts!

It pays for itself in employee management. Time off, scheduling, basic HR tasks (address, phone #, hire date, etc.) are great things to utilize.

Pros

I absolutely adore 7Shifts. To start off with a HUGE bonus, they have a free app for employees, so that already helps get this software in the pockets of those you're reaching. I only have 10 employees, but they are all being pulled in different directions/departments, so we're able to keep up with time off requests, coordinate with other managers and see what shifts covered where all in one place. It's incredibly easy to use once you get used to it!

Cons

I don't like that you can't post events for certain departments. Ex: the taproom has trivia on Wednesday. The Brewery has a brew day, cleaning, etc. scheduled and there's not a brewery specific place to post.

This is small, but something that would help. I would also LOVE an end of day logbook feature.

HotSchedules, Hubstaff and When I Work

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

We were using a spreadsheet and it was getting impossible to keep up with the schedule. I went from a basic spread sheet, taking about an hour to schedule 8 employees to now 20 minutes tops across 3 departments.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Price, ease of use, had features I needed.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the detailed review Tracy! We love your feedback and am happy to hear that 7shifts has provided so much value to your business.

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Best scheduling / timesheet app to date!

Support has been amazingly helpful and all around compassionate. Makes us happy to feel like we're a part of a community where our concerns are heard.

Pros

Responsiveness. Ease of use. Employees not complaining for once!

Cons

With scheduling, we have staff that want to have the same recurring shift week to week. This changes often so having a template for a time period versus just a person is proving difficult. Staff keep saying "but I thought that was my shift every week?" What's happening is, they offered their shift to someone else so when we copy the prior week to a new week, the wrong employee gets assigned the shift. This is getting hard to manage.

Need the ability to print out day schedules the same way weekly ones look. We print our schedules out daily and assign breaks from them plus we leave notes about the day. Currently the only option to print a day view is in list mode and that does not show you visually where holes in scheduling are. We did find a way around it by printing the day view from the manager dashboard but that prints out the website not just the schedule.

We close out pay periods but they are still just sitting there as open, so that's confusing.

I wish we could name our group chats and create multiple versions with the same people. We like having group chats around topics to keep messages separate and easy to reference.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the super detailed review. Please feel free to share this directly with our team at [email protected] so we can work with you to make these suggested improvements!

Ally H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Great Value and Customer Service for the price!

Customer Service has always been great, They have promptly answered questions and even make changes to my account. They also send lots of how to's and what has changed messages and emails, which are very helpful.

Pros

I like the ability to schedule, edit and communicate on the go!

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches with the app, such as....a staff member being scheduled once, but appears twice on the schedule for the same day.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7-shifts is simple, straight forward and easy for anyone to use.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Ally! We love hearing that our customer service team has provided you with a terrific experience.

Top 7shifts Alternatives

Keith K.

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Love 7Shifts!

From the beginning over 5 years ago to today, the entire team at 7Shifts has been great to work with and are very accomodating to my requests for further functionality.

Pros

I like that I the functionality of the app and online. It is easy to access and use. The app is free and this makes a big difference with our hourly team members.

Cons

I wish the reporting was more robust. Sometimes I need more data than the reporting is capable of pullin gin.

When I Work

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

HotSchedules was to cumbersome and slow. They charged for the app. They were slow to change and very expensive.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The team at 7Shifts was always there when I had a question and made the integration process seamless.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Keith! We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with you and the rest of your team at Kaldi's every day, and we look forward to building what you need for years to come. Cheers!

Replied 19/11/2019
Lucia C.

Great Product!

Overall this program is great! Been using for years but it would be nice for some more options to personalize for our needs. Love the reports feature though to see how staff compare in various categories!

Pros

I do the scheduling for a staff of 60+ so the ease of copying shifts to another week/day is great

Cons

The integration between this and Toast is great but could still use some work. We primarily use it for the purposes of seeing when staff have clocked in or not and as a manager it would be great to turn this feature on and off for the different departments ( front of house, back of house, bar). It would also be great to turn the feature off for clocking out vs clocking in at the end of the shift vs beginning. As a front of house manager I’m not as concerned with back of house clockins but still get 12 notifications for their staff a day, and I am more concerned about front of house staff clocking in but not as concerned with them clocking out

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Lucia! I've passed along your suggestions for improving our integration along to our team :)

Rachael M.

7Shifts is easy to use for all staff

We have been very happy with the overall use of 7shifts and anytime we needed customer service, they were courteous and offered a quick fix. They were very gracious during our Covid closure and offered use of the app free of charge so that we could stay in contact with all our employees. I highly recommend!

Pros

We use 7shifts as the primary tool for communication as well as scheduling. It's easy to set up, add new employees, manage the schedule, shift bids, and time off requests. Employees report that it is one of the most comprehensive and easy to use scheduling apps they've ever used! As the administrator, 7shifts makes scheduling quick and easy which is a huge benefit.

Cons

The availability function can be improved. Employees report that it is the only aspect of the app that gives them trouble. Sometimes there is a lag between what the app shows on my phone vs. computer. For instance, shifts that have been edited and published are showing as not published on the app on my phone. Minor issues that cause little to no problems.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Rachael! We really love the feedback you provided and I have passed it along to our mobile team for review. We want to ensure we make your experience and 11.

Also, we are happy to hear that 7shifts was able to support you in the way you needed it during COVID. We ALWAYS want to support our clients and know this has been a challenging time for any small business. Just know that we've got your back :)

Andrew W.

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

Amazing for scheduling and time clock!

7shifts has been a really positive experience.

Pros

We have used 7shifts since we started our company. We wanted something that could be easy for everyone to use, and we've seen a ton of efficiency improvements over the years! It has been really easy to have different managers run the schedule with ease, and the analytics are helpful for running payroll as well. Would definitely reccomend 7shifts and 7punches as a combination tool.

Cons

No cons to mention! The improvements over the last few years have really made 7shifts and outstanding product.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Ease of use and easy to setup.

Response from 7shifts

Amazing! Thank you for such a great review Andrew. We really love hearing from restaurants that chose 7shifts when they started their business and the impact it has had over the years. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to serving you for years to come

Mitchell W.

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

7shifts is a lifesaver and a headache preventer

So easy to use, and check in on. There clock in and clock out feature (7Punches) is incredible, and works flawlessly and seamlessly. I would be willing to say that 7Shifts not only saves me time, but at least 2 hours of work per week, which would only be more with a larger organization. Thank you 7shifts!

Pros

I like how I can interact with my staff through the software and it makes scheudle creation a breeze for organizations of any size. The ability for my staff to book time off through the software is incredible. No more paper schedules. Not to mention customer service is incredible!! They always respond to requests within mere minutes and I've never encountered a problem they couldn't help me with!

Cons

There are absolutely no cons. I will never have a need for any other scheduling software again.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Mitchell! We are SO happy to hear that 7shifts has positively impacted your business in such a big way. We love hearing how specific behaviours have changed, as well as the time and money you're saving. Keep up the great work!

Replied 22/01/2020
Quinn O.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Great software! Made scheduling a breeze!

Vacation and time off requests are much easier to manage with this software, no more nightmares of managing e-mails and paper requests.

Pros

The ease of use for employees and management. Super easy to switch shifts and see vacation requests on the calendar.

Cons

I would love to be able for it to remember common shift times for employees, the feature doesn't seem to be accurate.

Homebase

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The integration with square was the key factor for us.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Quinn! We love hearing that 7shifts has been beneficial for your restaurant when pared with your Square POS.

Holly P.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Great Labour and Scheduling Tool

Best online live chat center I have ever used. Quick, clear, follow-up emails, 10 star for sure!
It is easy for new managers to learn. I brought this program from the last company I worked with to the Hotel, it has had a massive impact on our labour, bringing labour in-line with budgets.

Pros

There are a few things that stand out for me; the ease of making schedules, having staff working at different locations schedules shared through each location, labour management tool, staff contact information easily accessible through the app on my phone. The last one is a big one for me. This means I do not need to add new employees into my phone.

Cons

There is one new update that I struggle with; as an administrator I now need to pick, and click FOH vs. BOH employees. I very much preferred the drop-down option before.

Response from 7shifts

Wow, thanks so much for the amazing review, Holly! Hearing about how 7shifts has made an impact on your labor management at Hotel Arts Group really makes our day. Thanks for bringing 7shifts over from your last company, too! Happy scheduling.

Replied 08/01/2021
Rebekah W.

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

7shifts Review

My overall experience with 7shifts has been positive one while working as a waitress at a family-owned restaurant. I mostly use it to see what days I will be working and if I will be working the morning shift, the night shift, or if I am scheduled as a banquet server. I recommend this software to any restaurant looking for an easy, communicative software for their employees to use and to let them know what their schedule will be for the week or weeks ahead.

Pros

This software is very easy to use and maneuver in especially within the app. I personally use the app rather than going to the website and logging in. The app is very convenient. I have notifications sent to my phone from the app that lets me know if someone sends out a message, if a shift is available to pick up, or even if my schedule has been updated. You can see what your schedule is for the week when your manager updates it and what other employees you will be working with for any given day. You can give up your shift to any employee or choose a specific employee to give your shift to for them to pick up. You can also send messages to every employee or specific employees instead of texting or calling them from your phone. Another thing you can do is request time off and decide which days and hours you would like to take off and then the manager will approve or disapprove your action. The color scheme in the app is great too.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't anything I do not like about this software. I have used two other restaurant softwares in the past and this is by far my favorite.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the detailed review Rebekah! Love hearing that you've used 7shifts in the other restaurants you had worked in.

Replied 06/12/2019
Sydney G.

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

Great way to stay organized

Pros

I love the digital time off requests. It takes a lot off my plate knowing the system will automatically catalog the requests and remind me when I am making the schedule.

Cons

I wish there was a way to save employee files so I can keep track of documentation and write ups in the software that can correlate to their clock in times and schedule.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Sydney! We've got some awesome surprises for you regarding employee files, coming shortly.

Replied 16/11/2020
Leigh G.

Helpful and always updating

Great all around. Saved money with time clocking.

Pros

Ease of use, intuitive interface, ability to group and reach staff through categories.

Cons

I would like to be able to access my employees contact information even after they are terminated (seasonally) without having to re-activate them.
I would also like the ability to post an individual’s schedule without posting everyone’s after the schedule is made but not posted yet.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Leigh! We love your suggestions on how we can improve our scheduler and I have shared that feedback with our product team. Thanks for being a 7shifts user :)

Laura C.

Good bang for your buck

Having used several different scheduling softwares in the past, 7Shifts is by far my favorite. It's easy to use, has a really wonderful app, and is constantly adding new features, all at a really affordable price. The support team is always available and can answer any questions.

Pros

7Shifts is intuitive and sleek. Compared to other software we've used in the past, both the webpage and app provide quick syncing with our POS and offer a wide variety of features- from logbook notes, customizable and scheduled tasks lists, and shift swapping abilities.

Cons

We would love to see even more customizable options, especially with the new tasks list feature (such as temp range options/recall ability, reminder emails, etc).

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Laura!

Howard M.

Restaurant General Manager

Overall we enjoy 7shifts and 7tasks. It’s a great tool used to communicate with several different departments

Pros

Communication with employees , announcements and group chats

Cons

Dashboard view on mobile device is complicated, use of scheduling on iPad can cause issues with dragging shifts, would like an undo feature before publish

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Howard. We take your feedback seriously and I have passed along your feedback to our product team and mobile team to look into how we can make the mobile manager experience better for you and others.

Ryn G.

Easy for me and staff

Pros

So easy to use. Staff needs minimal training and are able to correctly set up time off and availability. A real time saver.

Cons

Sometimes staff confuse availability with time off

Response from 7shifts

Thanks the review Ryn! We love hearing that 7shifts has provided you with a more intuitive solution for your restaurant, and that it was easy to setup and get started :_

Matthew H.

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

Functional, Reliable, Consistent

Great support East set up

Pros

Easy for employees to quickly learn and accurately update
Saves time on managers end
Intuitive features

Cons

The predicted times for shifts could be more consistent

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Matthew! We know that businesses need reliable systems in order to run, so we're happy to hear that 7shifts is meeting your needs.

Replied 13/11/2020
Claudia K.

Reviewed on 02/11/2020

Great Job

We switched from WhenIwork to 7shift because we had to switch our POS systems from Square to Toast. It was a little difficult for us to get used to it since wheniwork app was a little more intuitive and required less employee training to learn how to use the app.

But, now that we are used to it, we really enjoy it.

Pros

I like the app feature and the texting feature of this software

Cons

As an administrator, I can only view by day on not by week on the app.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Claudia! It's always a lot of work to make your team switch apps. I've passed along your feedback to our mobile team to see what we can do to improve that first-time experience. Happy to hear that our POS integration has been valuable for your business :)

Kristen W.

Reviewed on 03/10/2018

We're happy with the main functions of 7shifts and overall it has simplified our scheduling process!

Pros

The best part about 7shifts is that any time I have a question, I write a quick message in the pop-up chat located in the bottom right corner, and someone gets back to me within a few minutes. This program easily tracks employees availability and vacations. It has some great key features, and is easy to use.

Cons

It would be great if when scheduling, you can view the day and have a simple button to view the next day. Instead, you have to close the pop-up window, and select the next day separately. Additionally, it would be better if there was a way to input start and end time by clicking and dragging instead of manually entering each start and end time.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Kristen!. We've happy to hear that our client success team always is there to support you and your team. Also, thanks for the great product suggestions ¿ I've pass those along to our team. Cheers! :)

Replied 09/10/2018
Kurt O.

Reviewed on 23/11/2018

A great value

My overall experience has been very positive. 7 Shifts has allowed me to save several hours a week and be a more effective personnel manager.

Pros

7 Shifts allows me to take a much more strategic approach to scheduling. Before 7 shifts, I managed my schedule manually and most of my mental energy was spent creating the scheduling template and organizing my employee's scheduling requests. With 7 shifts, the template is already created and the employees are in charge of managing their own requests. The end result, I can spend my time scheduling my employees strategically to best meet my anticipated demand at the greatest value.

Cons

The software is such an improvement as compared to what I was dong that I really can't find any faults.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Kurt! We love hearing that 7shifts has helped shift your approach to more "strategic" scheduling and sharing of responsibility between you and your staff. We can't wait to continue to work with you for years to come.

Replied 27/11/2018
Claire G.

Reviewed on 26/12/2020

Excellent scheduling and payroll tool

The log book in particular is a great reporting tool - it enables our management team to streamline their staff scheduling and understand what budgets they are working to, and whether they achieved their targets.

Pros

We use 7shifts to schedule our staff, track their worked hours and for the reporting tools. It helps predict and keep us informed of how much our wage cost is on a daily basis. The staff love the ease of clocking in and out too. It integrates well with our other systems.

Cons

We've been using it for a couple of years now and I can only see the benefits of it.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the amazing review, Claire! We're so happy to hear it's all pros and no cons for you at The Loaf. We're looking forward to continuing to develop the Manager Log Book and other labor management tools to serve you and your team better.

Replied 08/01/2021
Dave N.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

Not Just For Restaurants!

Absolute time saver! I used to do scheduling on Excel, with sheets spread out in front of me, taking 3-4 hours on average for a week. With 7shifts, I can crank a week out in 10-20 minutes!

Pros

I love that I can divide staff into areas of our shop related to their knowledge and abilities. I also like the ability to block off dates for time-off requests and set a 2-week advance minimum to request time-off. Also, employees can offer-up their shifts and employees can grab their shift with my approval.

Cons

Software won't run on Win-XP (yes, we still have a couple in our network)

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Dave! While we do primarily work for restaurants, I'm super happy to hear the 7shifts is working for your business and is streamlining availability for your team. Cheers!

Replied 06/11/2020
Amanda H.

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

A simple tool to make life easier for the entire team, everyday.

The company has made many great improvements over the years and I plan to continue using the software!

Pros

Our entire team loves 7shifts and it's ease of use! Great for management and simplifies schedule changes. It also holds people accountable with reminders, shift alerts, and more. Great and easy to use. It would be great if it integrated with our POS without an additional fee.

Cons

Additional charges for basic features like integration with TOAST.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Amanda! We love hearing that your entire team loves 7shifts and you will be continuing to use it as your business grows. I will have a member of our team reach out to you to see what we can do in order to mitigate the integration fees that Toast charges for integrating with 7shifts. Cheers!

Replied 06/11/2020
April V.

Easy to Use

Experience has been good overall and each time there are new features I am notified, and from there decide of the bee feature fit with what I need.

Pros

The scheduling tool and manager log are the two things my team gets the most use out of. They help keep my team connected and in the loop with daily operations. I like that you can customize the manager log to fit the individual needs of your restaurant.

Cons

Positive feedback overall. No dislikes at the moment.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review April! Happy to hear you are finding value in our scheduling as well as logbook features. On that, I'm going to have a member of our team reach out to you as our Logbook is totally customizable and I'm sure there is a lot of awesome stuff we can share with you. Cheers!

Kyler R.

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

Great product. Does what we need

Pros

User friendly, easy for employees to learn with minimal training. Works how it needs to work

Cons

I don’t need all the extra bells and whistles as my restaurant POS provides
That. Nice that this integrates.

Homebase is shit.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

User friends. Known in the industry

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Kyler! We love hearing that 7shifts provides exactly what you need and isn't "crappy" ;)

Replied 18/11/2020