About NextGen Healthcare

NextGen Healthcare offers NextGen Office—a cloud-based EHR – specifically designed for private practices. NextGen Office is a fully integrated practice management solution that includes specialty-specific content, a claims...

Browse NextGen Healthcare Reviews

1,195 of 1,195 reviews
Barry W. Barry W.

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

Get to know it

Took a while to learn the system, but in’s you learn the ins and outs of navigation it a breeze

Pros

Everything thing you need is there. Options are unlimited. Navigation is straight forward once you learn the system. Support is knowlegible and fast.

Cons

Tough to learn. Training team needs a lot to be desired

SammyEHR

Reasons for Choosing NextGen Healthcare

Bad support and very expensive to use

Reasons for Switching to NextGen Healthcare

Betting linking with other ears , but tough decision
Tina C. Tina C.

Reviewed on 26/01/2021

Pros and Cons

The only thing that it really solved is my doctor can dictate his note into the system the way he wanted to. But as far as the PM side, I would not choose this software again. It's not streamlined or user friendly as the demo's show and through training.

Pros

I purchased this software a little over a year ago and I still struggle with it from the PM side. The EHR side I do not work with a lot personally but my staff and doctors seem to like it pretty good. The scheduler is easy to read. Billing has a lot ways to track denials, rejections etc.

Cons

There are a lot of things that could be improved with the billing side. So many steps to make any corrections with payment postings. Constantly have to go from keyboard to clicking with the mouse instead of just clicking the "enter" key. May seem trivial but it does interrupt the stream of things.

Phillip I. Phillip I.

Reviewed on 14/05/2013

I've always been intrigued with the idea of automating as much as possible in the doctor's office. In addition, I am very compulsive about the quality of clinical note that I write. Over the years this has created circumstances where I would get behind on my documentation simply because I didn't have the time to write a quality note until the weekend. I have spent a very large amount of time off work on completing these charts.
I saw MediTouch at a Texas Osteopathic Medical Association meeting and was fascinated with the scope of it's abilities in practice management and medical documentation and the relative simplicity of its use. The reasonableness of the cost was also attractive to me, particularly after going home and calculating the amount of money I spent on printing, mailing, and licensing fees for my checklist medical record system which I was using at the time. I was amazed to find that it saved me $1500.00 a month by a conservative estimation; not to mention improving the accuracy of my insurance filing, and the turnaround time of my payments.
The responsiveness of the people at HealthFusion is also quite good. If there is an issue, there are multiple ways to get in touch - including after-hours emergency contact ability, which I have actually used once on a Sunday night. My problem on that occasion was resolved almost immediately.
Implementation was a major learning curve as we did it on the fly (as we had been encouraged to do), and while this was extremely trying, it did speed the implementation process along quite well. The fact that the training program is on the Internet and easily accessed is quite good; although, as a constructive criticism, the training program actually could benefit the user if it were streamlined and changed from the format of hour-long lectures.
I love walking into the treatment room with an iPad under my arm and not having to leaf through six-inch thick charts to find last year's laboratory work or an x-ray that I need to compare to this year's.
I really love ePrescribing in the patient room to any pharmacy in the country, and knowing a call back will not occur because the pharmacist can't read the prescription. The first year we started using the system, I was on a Mediterranean cruise and refilled some prescriptions using my iPad from a lounge in the ship because I could.
As for my documentation compulsion, I dictate personalization nuances into the available visit templates in MediTouch using Dragon NaturallySpeaking (which I have been training for over 8 years). I walk out of the office with all of my charts done, and all of my insurance claims completed almost every day.

Top NextGen Healthcare Alternatives

eClinicalWorks

Cerner PowerChart Ambulatory EHR

Denise N. Denise N.

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Nextgen pros and cons

Overall the software is very good for daily charge entry, payment posting, and account managing. We use it daily and it is user friendly, even for brand new people just training. The providers are generally happy with the EHR side and its many features including searching patient training items on the spot.

Pros

It is user friendly when processing charges and posting payments. The auto flow works wonderfully and can be customized to your needs based on our processes in our office. It has a lot of features that makes charge entry easier like rearranging your codes right in the charge screen and accepting the copay at the same time.

Cons

My biggest complaint has been and will be the reporting. The process to create a report is fairly simple but all of the options aren't as available as I'd like and tweaking them is next to impossible. There are some reports we just haven't been able to create.

Craig M. Craig M.

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

NextGen Healthcare

It has been generally good. I have looked at switching multiple times but have not made that switch so they have kept me for about 5 years.

Pros

It is on the cloud.
It is a comprehensive package in that it integrates the clinical side with the billing side.
They do update on a regular basis.
My understanding is that they get back to questions reasonably. I don't do this myself.

Cons

User interface has a lot of little things that could improve the clinical side. (This is what I use the most.)
Downtime is a huge thing as everything in the office is dependent on this being up and going. I feel there are way too many times it is slowed or even crashes. It used to be on a regular basis on a certain day and seemed to correspond to update notifications. Maybe quality control of updates or implementation has improved but now it is less consistent but still much more common than it should be.

Gary C. Gary C.

Reviewed on 21/02/2017

Meditouch EHR in a Interventional Pain Clinic

This is one of the few EHRs that actually turn out looking like a medical note rather than a list after list of repetitive data that is hard to follow and actually see what is going on with the patient and what they are taking for current medications. The note is constructed in the SOAP format so that it is easy to follow. The platform allows customization for office/ASC procedures that are easy to setup after initial orientation and it also allows for multiple options for physical findings in the exam. Care360 is similar in that it is a SOAP note format, but doesn't have a billing component built in and requires Kareo or another billing program that doesn't marry to the EHR easily.

Pros

Customization, Readability of completed notes, no confusion on problem lists, medication lists, etc. No laundry list after list after list causing you to wonder "where's the meat" of this note that will tell me what's going on.

Cons

There is a lot of data on the page so it is sometimes hard to read everything on a standard iPad. At my age, I should probably use a "Pro" sized iPad. Other than that, not much.

Tania B. Tania B.

Reviewed on 02/02/2012

We are a small medical billing and practice management firm located in the Dallas area. I've spent the last 18 months sitting through demo's of PM and EHR products on behalf of my clients. There are a lot of good products out there, but Healthfusion offered something the others didn't which really fits the needs of some of my clients. It's an All-In-One PM, Clearinghouse, and EHR (meaningful use ready) all for a reasonable monthly fee. There are no huge up front investment costs that take away financial resources that could be spent on patient care. Because it is 100% online, we can use the system anywhere as long as we have an internet connection. Since continuity of information is vital for our service, we love that we can access the front desk schedule and clinical information at the doctor's office in real time. The document feature in the patient chart is a huge help and something we didn't have in our last system. Real time eligibility is a big time saver.

The best part about this company itself is their support. I was under contract with a different vendor for many years and my biggest complaint was that they never answered the phone - that's no exaggeration. The monthly support fee was significant, yet I couldn't get the support I was paying for. HealthFusion has been a breath of fresh air. From the Sales Team (love you, Andrea) to Implementation, everything went incredibly smoothly. I spent a fair amount of time asking a ton of questions, which were always welcome 100%. The ongoing customer service has been amazing. The team over there knows me pretty well and are always cheerful when they answer. I love the live webinars because I can always learn something new, hear other user questions, and ask any questions I have. These webinars happen every week!

I'm giving 5 stars for all except functionality and quality. There are just a few things that I feel are "missing". To be fair, HealthFusion has been very responsive to my comments and has assured me they are working on adding additional features that I have been asking about. Bottom line is that HealthFusion is making me look great to my clients, it's been fairly easy to learn (after I took the time to do my training), and overall it is saving me a few hundred dollars a month in support fees. My clients and prospects love that I have a product to offer them that won't cost a fortune to get started.

Alisa S. Alisa S.

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Intuitive healthcare emr

Scheduling and appointment information works well. Coding is sufficient also

Pros

I like that next fen is intuitive and easy to use for new users. There are multiple tabs and ways of doing things depending on user preferences. Many ophthalmalmic clinics have success with this system

Cons

Integration of glasses rx and optical sales would be a nice addition so all patient charting is in one emr system. Currently we use a separate system and it’s not efficient or concise leaving much room for mischarting

Tricia S. Tricia S.

Reviewed on 14/01/2016

20 Years with the same Electonic Medical Record - NextGen

Pros

We initially started with NextGen back in the Ice Age, long before mandates and incentives were in place to have computerized medical records. The flexibility of the system was the initial drawing card. The physicians wanted to continue to practice as they chose to do so and the templates allowed this ability. We have had to adapt to Meaningful Use regulation and use the knowledge base model that NextGen provided and this took some getting used to, but I am happy that I had the experience that I had back in 1996 to try and fit a more structured, but good system into our practice world in Otolaryngology.

Cons

My schedule does not always work with the NextGen support schedule for getting help. I am a nurse practitioner and see my own patients and have limited administration time to work with support. This is more of a problem for me and not NextGen. I have to send in support tickets when I will be at my desk for a period of time to work on the problem.

Debbie P. Debbie P.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Long time user

Got rid of paper charts. Central database

Pros

The user interface is what initially drew me to the software 15 years ago. Now it is the flexibility of the product. Every user, every provider can use move through the product in the way that works best for them. The ability to access the same database enterprise wide, the ability to add on other applications that interact seamlessly, and now most importantly the commitment behind NextGen to support and grow as the changing world of healthcare rapidly morphs each year.

Cons

Sometimes new releases have defects that weren't an issue in previous versions. Also, some subspecialties need templates specific for their needs;i.e., pediatric ophthalmology must be customized by client to include fields that every pediatric ophthalmologist would find missing.

Heather P. Heather P.

Reviewed on 11/06/2020

Healthfusion

I would rather use Nextgen than the software Amazing Charts we use now. Nextgen was much easier on the billing side.

Pros

I liked the Practice Management side because of the use of easement. I liked the tabs at the top of the page to navigate and I also liked the side tab to look at previous visits without getting out of one screen.

Cons

The clinic side was nice, however, we were not connected to the Immunization Registry. I didn't like the fact that we had to pay fee's when we did the E-fax. I also didn't like the billing side of Nextgen. It was hard to get ahold of someone that could help me downgrade the software. When I finally did the rep was very rude and made me feel like I did something wrong. She should've just called me instead of email.

Susanne P. Susanne P.

Reviewed on 25/02/2020

Convenient Software Across All Roles of the Office

Pros

I like the ability to create an alert within a patient's chart that lets the biller or front/back office know if there are any concerns regarding a patient's account (copays, insurance eligibility, etc.) The Success Community is a great tool to use if you should have any questions about any errors you come across. Quick response and you have the ability to rank how urgent your issue is.

Cons

For scheduling, when you mark a date of service as rescheduled, it doesn't show up as rescheduled to the doctor. The doctor thinks the patient was seen on that date and proceeds to create notes. Once the note is finalized and the biller proceeds to create claims, it can show up as a claim.

Shirley W. Shirley W.

Reviewed on 25/01/2017

Not what we were hoping for

We have about eight months into this software and are still struggling with very basic issues such as claims not making it to the carrier and reports not functioning to our (or our clients') level of expectation. I cannot report on many fields in the system and despite being told in the beginning that their reporting tool was being enhanced and we could report on individual fields, and spend additional money to export data so we could create our own reports.
Clients are increasingly frustrated with inability to get eligibility checks on many of their common carriers and to get anything much beyond just confirmation of coverage (not outline of actual benefits, etc.) Collections module is clunky and we have not found it to be effective.
On the upside, claims entry is fairly simple, and auto posting is a breeze, as is data entry of patient information.

Pros

Autoposting is fantastic. We find it does it correctly close to 100% of the time. When the system cannot effectively autopost, it "flags" the RA so that you can address it individually. When we initially converted, we found that importing patient demographics was refreshingly simple and something we could do on our own without additional costs.
Patient demographics are easy to enter and maintain.

Cons

Reporting is completely ineffective. Canned reports don't balance against each other, and it's hard to quantify values. Not much assistance from Customer Service, although they do try to be helpful.
EDI process has been nothing short of challenging. From enrollment issues in the beginning to claims submission and follow-up issues, we are finding as we work AR several months later we're still having issues with some of our claims from early on which can't seem to arrive at the payer, despite acceptance confirmation from Healthfusion/ENS. It's costing us hours of time on the phone and lost productivity. We also cannot actually see the acceptance reports and are told we can't have access to those because they're in larger batches, which again creates additional phone calls and work on our part.

Simone H. Simone H.

Reviewed on 26/07/2015

I must be missing something....

Pros

It does have medical diagnostic tools like the Vanderbilt already included as well as an Asthma action plan/Asthma control test and several other questionnaires that are rather necessary in primary care as well as collates the information (i.e you can compare today's Vanderbilt score with their last Vanderbilt score without having to hunt down that note).

However, true to NextGen's form, the things that worked really, really well (like having the school physical form be automatically populated with the vaccines), they have somehow succeeded in completely screwing up, making the very, very few good things about NextGen a rapidly diminishing anomaly.

Cons

Where do I start??? Having to input data several different locations, it is SLOW and every single thing you want to do has to open a new window (read between the lines and understand that in an already slow program, every page you open has to load) and with all of the windows you open, there's no way to minimize them to go to another screen i.e you can't minimize the medications so that you can review the patient's last lipid panel, TSH, blood pressure, etc. You would have to close the medication module, open the orders module to review the lab then go back to the medication module and open it to make any medication changes. And if you want to make any medication changes or do any documentation at all, you have to have an open encounter and none of the encounters are labelled in any sort of orderly fashion so you have to open each encounter to find out where you put anything (again, think of each page having to load/open and taking 5-10 sec each).

Medications: you have to associate a diagnosis with every single medication if you are a provider which is an awesome idea except that if you haven't previously entered that diagnosis, you can't actually save your medication and go back to it, you have to close out of the medication module, enter the diagnosis into the assessment and then go back into the medication module and re-enter all the same information again.

Labs: there is no way to save quick phrases or phrases you use frequently so that conveying test results is, on a great day, a lengthy and painful process. Also, if you want to know how your current lab value compares with the previous ones, you have to open up the patient's chart and go into the order module.

Entering orders: again, if the proper diagnosis isn't there, you can't save your work and open something quick to pop the diagnosis in, you have to lose all of your orders, "X" out of that screen, open up the assessment screen then go back to whichever area you were in (another lovely thing: everything is separated so putting in lab orders is separate from putting in diagnostic studies which is in a different tab than putting in referrals which is in a different tab than any clinic orders (like toradol, PPD, u/a, etc). Also, if you are ordering any sort of medication to be given in the clinic (like Toradol), if you forget to add that it's a medication, it deletes the order and you have to start all over.

Various names depending on the section: sometimes it's filed under Pulmonary, sometimes it's filed under Lung, sometimes it's filed under Respiratory...and the sections aren't in any kind of order either. The routine way physicians document an exam is starting with constitutional and working your way down. Nope. Not in Nextgen. The main page of the physical exam has One Page Exam, then constitutional, then diabetic foot exam, then ears, (separate from) nose/mouth/throat then neck/thyroid then breast (huh????) on down. However, if you open up a quick-note [great concept if it worked but the software doesn't actually recognize anything is in any particular field (i.e. HPI, Physical exam) and ROS doesn't even save...so if you try to calculate the code it always comes up as a 99212)] and you want to modify the exam at all (because if you go into the one page exam and enter anything, because it doesn't actually recognize there is data there, it deletes everything except what you've just entered) you go into the "Additional" tab where the headings are (I kid you not) Neck/Thyroid then Breast then Psych then Ears then Constitutional then Respiratory then Nose/Mouth/Throat then Musculoskeletal then One Page Exam then Cardiovascular then GU then Abdomen the Skin/Hair then Head/Face then Eyes then Lymphatic then Vascular then Extremities then Rectal then Back/Spine then Neurological and on... The ROS starts with Cardiovascular and marches on down to end with Respiratory and then Vascular and one might think it was alphabetical except Reproductive is sandwiched between Immunologic and Metabolic/Endocrine.

ROS: Since I brought up the review of systems, let's stop there for a moment. There are not things listed that a patient would say; they start out strong but then in Respiratory they include things like "Known TB exposure" (not really ROS but rather PMH or even HPI) and under Cardiovascular they include "Claudication" (not likely something a patient is going to complain about) and my personal favorite, under the female ROS is "Abnormal Pap smear." While there is the ability to pick "Other," most often the drop down menu that is supplied is a restatement of the things in the first menu so you have to hit escape and just type in your own words (or the patient's words).

And on top of all of this, it has the audacity to be glitchy. One of the things it does for me is, even when I've entered an assessment, sometimes it doesn't recognize that it's there and then tells me to enter an assessment...news flash: because of the way the software is set up, you can't enter a plan without an assessment there, so if I got to the screen where I could enter a plan...clearly there's an assessment there...however, you can't argue with a computer...

I titled this "I must be missing something" because if you go to their web page, they've got all these awards that they've won, etc and I just don't see how anyone could award them for anything. This software is abysmal at best and, if I leave my current place of employment it will be because of THIS. Not my boss, not the patients, not the money, the EHR. And this was adapted because the Illinois Primary Health Care Group that is over all of the FQHCs thought that this was the best option for Health centers that are taking care of a challenging population who needs things to be easier for them not more challenging. And with this software, I am more likely to miss things that need to be done because EVERYTHING is on a separate page and with 15 minute visits, who has time to do all that with a slow EHR???

Funny thing is, there's an update that may have fixed several of these issues but you can't task anymore so we can't upgrade. That would mean that every time you needed your nurse to do something, you couldn't send it to her, every time you wanted the front desk to schedule something you couldn't send it to them, every time you needed a follow up lab or test ordered, you couldn't send it to anyone to call the patient and do it. So either I'm missing something HUGE or the people who are evaluating NextGen and give it anything better than "Epic FAIL" are either working for the company or involved with someone who works for the company. My new analogy has become: if I did my job as well as they did theirs, I would be in prison for Manslaughter....

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

I used NetGen as a biller for a large medical group

NextGen let us easily accept electronic charge slips, then electronically bill primary and secondary claims, and finally accept 835 files for electronic posting on all of the major carriers in our state and many of the smaller ones. It is very user friendly.

Pros

It was easy to use with about 3 different ways to do the same thing. Some might call that "redundant" but it meant that many times I didn't have to leave the screen I was working in if I happened to need to do something like request a charge review or queue a claim to bill.

Cons

It was difficult to attach a new insurance to past dates of service. Not impossible or hard, just tedious. It would be better to have a "mass change" option.

Christian M. Christian M.

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

NextGen for Small to Midsize Healthcare Organizations

After over a decade of being a user, trainer, then developer supporting this software, I’ve seen how the software is used in healthcare organizations small, medium, and large. From experience NextGen is good for Small and Medium organizations because it’s easier to handle a moderate amount of customizations and frequency of updates/fixes with the current 8.x KBM and 5.9x App versions. Reporting is strong with the NextGen application suite because it’s based off of SQL. Vendor Support has improved over the decade I have dealt with NG.

Pros

I like that the NextGen application suite is highly customizable.

Cons

The need for many service packs or updates to address known issues.

Kaytlyn H. Kaytlyn H.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

NextGen

Overall, I recommend using this system versus the system that my company used previously. Much better in my opinion and much easier to navigate!

Pros

At first, it was a little hard to navigate but once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to work. There are so many options for working with several providers which is helpful. You can keep an eye on each providers schedule for the day in the multi view.

Cons

My least favorite thing is that you have to switch screens. I use both PM and EHR so going back and forth is not my favorite.

Ralf L. Ralf L.

Reviewed on 22/05/2018

(For the MediTouch/Office product for small clinics)

* Probably the best software for a small clinic that I am aware of.
* Support is excellent.
* It's a good value.
* The software is continuously improving and getting new and improved features.
* NextGen listens to user concerns and addresses major problems quickly and effectively.

Pros

* No hardware required.
* Easy to set up and use.
* Full-featured.
* Excellent support.
* Great for MIPS and MU.
* Good integration with fax or direct message.
* Very nice electronic order interface for Quest (and probably other vendors).

Cons

* Speed and reliability could improve somewhat (we use the web-based software).
* CCDA import and export are fragile and barely work.
* Billing module is functional but requires experienced billers to make it work well.

Ginger M. Ginger M.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

very educational for first time meeting attendees

Pros

it now how the functionality of less tabs/clicks to do. It has a lot more features. Its seems to be easier to populate the information on a single tab, rather than toggling back and forth between screens. Overall pleased

Cons

the OPH chart note needs to be worked on. It populates the surgical history under the past ocular history! the formatting needs to be more consistent and properly aligned and font size is all a concern. The difference in font size and color all back and forth on the note. super annoying!

Laura H. Laura H.

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

company review

Pros

the built in ROS and exams
I can link my immunizations

Cons

cant copy note from previous and change things that need to be changed in current note so that hx follows better instead of having to look back at prior OV.
Labs cant be linked into OV.

Ofer H. Ofer H.

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

I've used NextGen for over 7 years and it's come a long way with customer feedback.

Patient care has improved with the increased reporting ability, as we were on paper prior to implementing NextGen. Providers are able to provide better and more efficient care to our patients.

Pros

One of the things that differentiate NextGen from other EHRs is that NextGen can adjust to our workflow rather than having to change our workflow to match the EHR.

Cons

You are slowly moving towards a less flexible KBM. Due to the upgrades and changes, customizations that have benefitted the organization have to be re-engineered more often than not.

Shanika E. Shanika E.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

I like the system it seems hard at first for dental users then you learn it quickly and...

Pros

I like the workflow and categories you can setup in the appt book. It is nice that you can set different providers to different colors on the appt book. I like that you can print the patient label to give on next visit card.

Cons

if using on book need a way to identify a different location. the system is not really setup well for dental treatment plans. it makes treatment plans take alittle longer or you have to spend a lot of time setting up contracts.

Eric M. Eric M.

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

Gets the job done

NextGen Helps us meet our needs for collecting information and meeting PCMH requirements. I wish that they would do something really innovative with their software on the Ambulatory side. Also wish Ambulatory info could easily be collected with ipad ( intake ) . Customer service website is 100% than it use to be. Also wish that Patient portal had an app in the market.

Pros

really like in the smart notes from Reason for visit.

Cons

They charge for everything. We pay so much a month for Nextgen and yet they charge us for simple canned reports for PCMH.

Danita D. Danita D.

Reviewed on 02/12/2019

Nextgen

Pros

We were previously using 3 programs for our practice. February 2018 we combined all 3 programs and started using just NextGen. This has given us the ability to have everything in one program and didn't have to jump around to different programs. We are also able to scan all the documents into this program so for convenience alone this has been a huge time saver.

Cons

There are some functions in the claims processing that are a little confusing but the support services are great when we call the help desk in walking me through the process.

Anu S. Anu S.

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Platform and Billing Services

We have used the EMR platform for 7 years. However, we made a recent change to NextGen's billing services. We wouldn't be more happier with that transition, the support and professionalism of all involved in the transition. Subsequent to the transition, working with the billing team has been great. They timely responses to resolution of issues is great!

Pros

Flexibility & features; code use support

Cons

Pretty exhaustive that it is not easy to get to all features without periodically refreshing.