QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

About QuickBooks Payroll

QuickBooks Payroll is a technology-enabled HR services platform that offers human resource (HR) and employee management services for small businesses. Serving clients across multiple geographical regions, it helps organizations...

4.2

Browse QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Peter
Peter
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 02/07/2023

Easy to deploy payroll system for any sized organization

Easy to use, easy to set up and get going

Pros

The ease of importing hours, processing payroll (including through direct deposit), keep track of taxes, and processing annual W2s.

Cons

It was a bit more expensive than we would have liked to pay given that we are a small nonprofit.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Full range of use offerings
Ruben

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

Dawn
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 31/03/2024

Love QuickBooks Payroll!

Pros

The ease of tracking employees time/pay/vacation and taxes all in one place.

Cons

There are really no issues I would say I have with this Program.

Top QuickBooks Payroll Alternatives

Church Windows

ShelbyNext Financials

ADP TotalSource

Bruce

Reviewed on 30/04/2021

They are so large now they make it difficult to speak with someone.

In the beginning the customer service was great, but over the years it has deteriorated. I still have on going issues where the mistaken filed my taxes under the wrong id number (the number was transposed) creating a issue with our Dept of labor unknow to me until years later. After, numerous calls, speaking to someone the issue is still a problem. Hey, mistakes happen lets just get it fixed. Now my employees have not received their pay, and now no one is available to let you know the issue.

Pros

When everything is good, things are great. But, when you have problem, (and you will sometime) they make it so difficult to get answers and issues resolved. When you a problem it will be a big issue and no one is around to help. You try chat, most of the time that doesn't resolve the issue, or question you may have. Have them call you back, that may or may not happen, but it won't happen in the time they indicate.

Its been a great run with Quickbooks Pro (paid more for better Full service) but it looks as if that is coming to an end. The icing on the cake for me was, not getting my employees paid on the date they were supposed to be, though receiving correspondence they would be paid. Trying to get answers to what the issue is, and you can't get a hold of anyone. That creates a game changer.

Cons

Software is great, but if you don't have customer service to support the software, the software become worthless. Because you will have issues and will need help.

Darcy

Reviewed on 26/01/2024

QuickBooks Payroll

Pros

We use QuickBooks Payroll to pay all our employees. we are able to integrate their hours

Cons

sometimes the time and position gets messed up and we have to manually fix it.

Shannon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

Works great! Syncs with QB.

Overall it's a strong product with all the features most people will need for their business. I used it for 2 restaurants and was very pleased with it. It's great to have all your finances in a single place.

Pros

I liked that it allowed me to keep my business finances in one place. It was easy to use and less expensive than a payroll company like ADP or paychex.

Cons

The accounts in my chart of accounts it setup would sometimes be confusing.

Square Payroll

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Cost and minimizes multiple softwares.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

At the time it made sense for my business to consolidate software into a single suite.
Samantha
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Overall A Good Payroll Software for Small Businesses

Pros

Very easy to use for both the employer and employees. You can add different admin users along with changing access, if some admins don't need access to everything. It is very user friendly and walks you through step by step on each and every part of the payroll process. This is the first software I ever used when starting in the payroll department, and had 0% training on it. I was able to navigate my way through it with no help.

Cons

The direct deposit limit is what made me change payroll software. I could not pay all of my employees via direct deposit because of the limit they had on our account.

Gusto, Patriot Payroll, ADP Workforce Now and Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

The pricing and overall amount of features that you get for the money was amazing.
Kathy

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

QuickBooks review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

Salvador
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 01/04/2020

Simple solution to running payroll via mobile device

My overall experience with both the software and support have been nothing but the best. I think the best feature of Quickbooks Payroll is the service you receive when talking with a solutions agent.

Pros

I enjoy the use of the mobile app to easily review payroll and pay my employees in a timely manner. I also enjoy the functionality of time sheets compatibility to payroll.

Cons

There is nothing. The call back with support is amazing and is withing a reasonable time period to reach back out when I needed the service.

QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I choose this because it easily migrated with our accounting software and decreased the payments to my bookkeeper.

Reviewed on 21/04/2021

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

Pros

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

Cons

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Anne
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

#CJM

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

It was simpler to switch to given we mainly use quickbooks for our accounting purposes.
Peggy

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use
set up easily
integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are:
-Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors.
- Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue.
- Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees.
Who focuses on contractor payments?
- RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

Agnieszka
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 28/02/2020

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided.
1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we do not use the online version of the software. This needs to be attended to. No one wants to be on hold for 45 minutes to be able to talk to a representative.
2 - the IIF file import form Intuit Full Service payroll to desktop Quickbooks has a flaw. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I spent hours the other day talking to Quickbooks desktop people and although they found a fix, it was just one-time fix. Please, refer to the service ticket [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I were working on for details. This also requires immediate attention.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/12/2021

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems.

Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources.

It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software.

The support is also hit and miss. Sometimes the agent you get is very helpful and solves the problem relatively quickly, and sometimes the agent you get can't even really understand the problem no matter how often you explain it.

Finally my last gripe is that I have to manage the dates to process payroll manually. i.e. Quickbooks knows when payroll has to be run, but doesn't send me any type of notification, so I have to manually track this. It occasionally results in running it too close to a holiday, resulting in staff getting paid a day late, I'd really appreciate it if I got a notice from Quickbooks on the last day to process on time, since it's only one of the many things I have to keep track of.

Regina
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 04/09/2020

Unhappy Customer!!!

Having billing issues.
We discovered last month that we were being double billed for our QuickBooks payroll after we converted over to QuickBooks online.
Overpayment came to a total of $1127.
I and our accountant had to spend a total of over 5 hours on the phone attempting to get a refund for this overpayment. Finally my accountant got $474 promised back and had to compinsate me back another $474 from her small business. The other $237 was lost!
After discovering what the charge being taken out of our bank account by intuit was, i then attempted to find a phone number to discuss the issue. I was unable to find any contact information on the website or within our QuickBooks online account.
My accountant then showed me where online there was contact information. I then had to request a call back. There was no phone number or email to the contact Quickbooks with directly to get help with any issue including billing.
We both then spent at least five hours on the phone with different quick books representatives. These representatives were located in the Philippines and not even in the United States. They made promises of emailing me information of where they had authorityTo deduct directly from our checking account and failed to send the information. This was two different representatives. I still haven’t gotten this information.
Intuit has been getting double payment for our payroll services for 2 1/2 years!

Pros

Reconciling bank account both with bank and online.

Cons

Billing and lack of customer service!
No direct contact phone numbers .
Representatives in phillipines. Dropped calls and long waiting times.
No email contact for help.
Lack of follow through.

William
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

Been with Intuit for 15+ years their service has gone way done

e loved Inuit Payroll for 20 years but the past 2 years they are terrible. They mistakenly filed our 940 forms twice in 2019 for the same quarter, and then when they file the second one they send you a notice that your payroll was rejected because "SOMEONE" (ah it was you.... dumb a...) filed it. We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks....bad. We were left to solve the problem on our own. My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year. Intuit Payroll why don't you just go out of business or better sell to ADP or Paychex.

Pros

It is easy when it works. But if you need help forget it.

Cons

Customer service is bad, you are ditched when there is an issue and you are on your own

Patricia

Reviewed on 06/09/2022

A User for Over 20 Years

I have been using it for a very long time and am familiar with almost everything it has to offer even if I don't use some features. On a weekly use for 2 companies, it makes doing payroll fast and simple when using time sheets. It has some unfriendly features if you deviate from doing payroll that way -- like doing separate bonus checks, corporate officer year end checks, or anything that's not set as a regularly weekly paycheck. Some of the wording is confusing when doing those checks.

Pros

It's relatively easy to use once you set it up and take the time to understand the tax lines to which expenses, income, payroll, etc should be assigned. Once you learn how to use it and custom your reports, it saves time and the data from years back can be accessed.

Cons

It gets too complicated in generating reports. If you only use the reports as QB configures them, you won't get the most accurate view of the business. And I do NOT like the password being required on my own device. I want to decide that for myself. It's a real pain to have to log into a device that only I use even if you can set it for 90 days. I don't want to do that at all.

Darcie
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Pretty good value but tax and reporting features can be lacking

QuickBook’s Online seemed like a great choice but after 1 year of use, we went back to the fully integrated desktop software. No real issues and certainly no issues with tax payment accruals and the reporting is very detailed. Highly recommend desktop software over online.

Pros

QB’s is user friendly and meets all basic payroll needs without issue. Easy vacation tracking and basic reporting services. Takes about 5 minutes to run payroll for a smaller company.

Cons

A couple of hiccups in the tax payment department using the online version and the reporting was lacking. Customer service was mediocre and took quite a long while to work with for seemingly simple errors that were only correctly handled approximately 50% of the time.

ADP Workforce Now

Cost
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 05/02/2020

Best of the Best

Pros

Love using Quickbooks compared to everything else we've ever tried

Cons

Not really much, other than the learning curve, but they help out with that a ton. For example, I spoke with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] today who walked me through something I was having issues with. Great job!

Wissam

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Horrible Direct Deposit

try it and you will find out.

Pros

It is cheap and integrated with Quickbooks

Cons

Good luck with their new Risk Assessment Department. I have been trying to do Direct Deposit for 3 months in my new company and they cannot get their act together. It is harder than getting a mortgage. My other companies are fine but now they keep asking more and more info to just run $2000 a week in payroll. All because "I am a new company and they front the direct desposit funds".

I really do not care. Any other payroll company can do this. They should state that they do not offer direct deposit for new companies.

Anne
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 11/02/2022

Good for both experienced and inexperienced payroll processors

Pros

Easily able to modify paychecks before/during processing.

Cons

QB Payroll will not process local taxes, so it can't be considered a full service payroll solution like ADP or others. Unable to calculate WC liability unless using QB WC

RUN Powered by ADP
Gregorio
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

Very Good Product for Most Situations (with certain reservations)

Generally, customer service is excellent. However, one client with a less-than-perfect record of NSF situations for direct deposit (two incidents in two years due to error, not fraud or deceit) has been severely (and in my opinion, unreasonably) penalized by the QB Payroll Risk Team. In both cases, the funds were supplied the same day, and the client paid a fine. The last incident was more than a year ago, and the risk team still requires that the client submit payroll five banking days before the direct deposit date. On weeks with Monday holidays, employees must wait until the following Tuesday to receive their pay. Of course, the remedy is to never, ever make mistakes with direct deposit funds.

Pros

QuickBooks Online and TSheets interface. Customer service and problem resolution are generally excellent, with well-trained and proficient agents taking calls or on chat. (See below for a specific situation description.)

Cons

QBO and TSheets do not track projects at any sub-level, such as task or milestone, so employee expenses allocated to projects require painful, manual Excel manipulation to bill clients based upon task or milestone accomplishments. Who ever heard of a project without tasks or milestones?

Karri

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Easiest payroll software I have used

It has been easy to take over clients' payroll services with the ease of use with QBO Payroll. Simple to use and intuitive.

Pros

Intuitive, easy to navigate, lots of options for pay-type, can have some employees on auto payroll. Like that we can cut separate checks/check-runs when necessary. I appreciate the email reminders about payroll cut-off date/time. As an employee and Payroll admin, I appreciate the Workforce component so I can view my payroll, deductions settings and get my W-2.

Cons

I don't know anything that I don't like. I am accustomed to using it and have used the QB training. The chat support does sometimes get busy so I have to wait.

Liz

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Good Product But Could Use Some Improvments

Customer service is horrible. You have to go through a maze of transfers to get to the right person. They are never native English speakers and have a very difficult time understanding what you are asking. Once they do understand it can rarely be fixed. I dread calling and will try all alternate options to fix things before attempting to call customer service.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to learn. It is easy to make changes to an individual's paycheck if needed and there are multiple opportunities for you to correct things before it is actually processed.

Cons

The program can be very glitchy. I have had it kick me out during the middle of payroll for no reason. It has also randomly not taken out payroll taxes a few times or not send the email check stub.

Vickey

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Would Not Recommend

The above issue was not the only issue I have had with this software/service. They have a good product, but they will not listen to users that have been complaining for years about their support and the difficulty of doing any edits without calling that support.

Pros

I like that it integrates with QBO. It is fast and easy to use. Being able to process payroll the day before is great too.

Cons

I do bookkeeping for churches and use classes to track funds/projects. You cannot assign a class to an employee yourself. You have to call support...which is usually a long wait. Which brings me to my biggest complaint. Some of their support is great, but many are NOT. I called to adjust a payroll period and the support Rep was very rude. I hung up thinking that was a waste of time, but WITHOUT my permission and knowledge she deleted the payroll I had already processed and when she processed it she overpaid an employee $10,000...which drained the church's bank account and cause multiple overdrafts. It took 3 months to clean it up and it was a nightmare! Will never use this payroll service again.