About QuickBooks Payroll

QuickBooks Payroll is a technology-enabled HR services platform that offers human resource (HR) and employee management services for small businesses. Serving clients across multiple geographical regions, it helps organizations...

Browse QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Juan H.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

Debbie C.

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Best in house payroll software EVER!

Love Love Love it! I recommend all small businesses use this program. It will also file you taxes for you.

Pros

I love the reminders QB payroll gives me. I get busy and I have different employees on different pay schedules and QB reminds me to pay on time. The amount of lines I can use for commission, Mileage, Bonuses etc... it what makes this such a great program

Cons

It does not track commission to a specific job via the payroll check. Other than that it's awesome.

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

The best payroll software I'm aware of

I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

Top QuickBooks Payroll Alternatives

Vicki F.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Gethsun M.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 14/03/2021

QuickBooks Review

Quickbooks will make a great choice for a small-medium size business as an introductory software for managing purchases, accounting, and financials.

Pros

Customizable reports
Pricing controls feature
Real-time financial tools and advanced tools to manage employees & payments.

Cons

Absence of vital reports outside accounting & finance.

Lack of industry & business-specific features like tracking/e-commerce and tracking

Jackie Z.

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

QB Payroll Review

Our company started with Quickbooks Payroll 5 years ago with 2 employees and we are still using them today with 25 employees. It is simple enough to use for a start up company, but has the features that are needed to comply with required regulations as the company grows.

Pros

I like that if I have made a mistake in payroll, I can call QB and it can be "fixed" before the money ever hits our employees' accounts. I also like having the ease of all the payroll summary reports when completing bank and legal documents that ask for payroll information, or creating budgets for the company.

Cons

While the software is great for the majority of payroll situations and the customer service is knowledgeable in most situations, if a more complicated situation arises with payroll, it may take a few calls to get the right person who will keep problem solving with you until the problem is completely resolved.

Kimberly S.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

We've got this growing and learning together!

The service can be amazing! I would like to have the option of more power to make my own changes without the assistance of the Pros. Yes, the pros often save my butt but as an innovative entrepreneur I would still appreciate more "EUREKA" moments where I have the freedom to solve my own problems intuitively. Please simplify making changes to bank accounts and other simple controls. Set us up for success and set us free! : )

Pros

Innovation is key! This service offers ways to stretch and grow your company.

Cons

The hard part is keeping up with the changes. I would like to have the option to keep things the way that I have learned and "freeze" my choices when the gears are flowing. Sometimes enough is actually enough. Old school can be enough.

Lori J.

Reviewed on 22/04/2019

Great potential!

When it's all working, it's great!

Pros

I use the Enhanced Payroll and it works really good. Keeps track of your payroll liabilities, and allows you to pay them online through Quick Books, which is great when it works.

Cons

We switched bank accounts, and it was a nightmare trying to switch all of the payroll direct deposit stuff over. In addition, someone in the office picked up the wrong state for withholding and unemployment and we still have't been able to get rid of it. Just like with Quick Books, if you have a problem and call customer service, plan on several hours with them. They are not quick and often transfer you around before you can finally find someone who can help.

Tracy C.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Quickbooks Payroll

Amazing customer service

Pros

The ease of learning the program was enjoyable

Cons

Can't say that there is anything that I don't like

Luke G.

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

An Industry-Leader & Solid Product

Overall, the experience has been positive but I am unsure about the current trends and future

Pros

Name recognition; ease of access & availability to our firm and also the clients; and familiarity of the product.

Cons

The overall cost to use the product, largely due to always-increasing subscription prices, is the primary downside to using QuickBooks Payroll, or any Intuit/QuickBooks product.

Gusto, Patriot Payroll, Xero and OnPay

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Stephanie H.

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

Easy and brings peace of mind

Using QB payroll gives me peace of mind that I won't overlook something. When you are working with multiple government agencies there is always a concern that something might fall through the cracks and create a huge headache to fix. QB full service payroll takes care of the filing and paying of these forms and taxes so I don't have to worry that something was forgotten.

Pros

The software is very straightforward and gives me the options I need. If I have a question, I am able to get support from their staff and they walk me through the process.

Cons

I can't think of anything I didn't like.

Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

binola review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] WAS AMAZING AND SPENT SO MUCH TIME TO HELP US TRANSITION TO THE NEW T SHEETS FOR OUR NEW COMPANY.

VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE SOFTWARE AND HAS SPENT TIME FIXING THE SYNC ISSUES ON AND OFF THE PHONE AND ERRORS AND ALWAYS FOLLOWS UP AND CALLS BACK -COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER REP TO HELP.
A++++++ A GREAT ASSET TO YOUR COMPANY AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND - GREAT ASSET.

JENNIFER MCDOWELL [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Pros

very easy to use and user friendly and if you need help support is there to help.

Cons

WE LOVE IT AND NO ISSUES.
WORKS GREAT WITH QUICKBOOKS
SYNC WORKS WELL.

Kristal B.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

Like a fine wine: Improving with age

I appreciate that I can use the available reports to construct overhead numbers monthly. I also appreciate that we can send money to our vendors without writing checks via Bill.com.

Pros

Ease of use and accessibility via the mobile app. Great courses available to help with learning the basics and some advanced accounting background. I love learning!

Cons

Most glitches resolved but still some unresolved. Limited reporting. Integration with Bill.com was sticky but overall was resolved. Making changes to the software during holiday weeks

Beth A.

Reviewed on 16/07/2017

QuickBooks Full Service Payroll is easy to use & much like a one-stop-shop.

Pros

Once set up properly, it's just a matter of inputting the information in each week to create the paycheck, then in the same area, make & record your payroll taxes too. Love that I don't have to go to multiple other websites to make all the payments. I can even e-file my 941,940, W-s's & W-3 reports online in the same payroll area!

Cons

Still have to go to L & I website to make payment & cannot file 1099's online (yet?). It would be nice to be able to fix errors in payroll when using the Accountant's copy too.

Donna H.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

BANK ACCOUNT CHANGES AND PAYROLL SUPPORT

Great

Pros

It was a very quick and easy process , user friendly. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was Great in assisting me with my payroll issues. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] had the knowledge and patience to assist me , I took up much of her morning assisting me. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a Great Teacher.

Cons

I really like the support, I have had great experiences with the support team. Best Team for your company.

Meg M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 09/03/2020

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], ONLINE CHAT AND EXPERT ADVISE

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] IN THE ONLINE CHAT HAS BEEN MY BEST OVERALL EXPERIENCE TO DATE!

Pros

ONLINE CHAT / PROBLEM SOLVING, THE EASE OF PROBLEM SOLVING TOGETHER. OVER THE YEARS, THE WAY QB CUSTOMER SUPPORT HAS GROWN IS WONDERFUL!

Cons

GLITCHES, THERE ARE TYPICAL GLITCHES AS YOU GO AND LEARNING TO WORK THROUGH THEM IS KEY AND SIMPLE.

Julia C.

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Very helpful! Love their customer service reps!

Great team to work with!

Pros

Easy to use software. Great help in keeping the company organized and on track. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was so helpful today in clearing up a bank account update issue for me. Very impressed.

Cons

Nothing- it's wonderful. Sometimes the wait for customer service is a bit long but they do a great job once you talk to them.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

Nice software for small business with few employees

Overall, I love it. I would recommend it for starter businesses. When you get to variables (lots of overtime, hrly, sick, etc), then it is time to move on.

Pros

I love the ease of use of the software. I know how much to pay and I am able to see payroll expenses smoothly.

Cons

I am not a fan of the price. I suppose I have an issue due to having 35 employees now. It becomes too much work for me.

Scott H.

Reviewed on 26/02/2020

Out of the park

Sterling

Pros

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was professional, pleasant and answered my questions precisely and quickly. Just a pleasure to work with. I’ve always had great experiences with the QB support staff. Great job! Most appreciated.

Cons

There’s nothing bad to say. Always enjoy this team

Michelle D.

Reviewed on 31/01/2021

QuickBooks Payroll is a Mid-Range Option

QuickBooks Payroll is a good solution for payroll. There are other products that offer more functionality but this does the trick for small companies.

Pros

QuickBooks Payroll is an easy-to-use payroll option, especially for QBO users. If you are on QuickBook Enterprise, you will have a separate account to administer payroll. It is easy to integrate your payroll with your QBO books which is very helpful. Payroll is easy to run and administer.

Cons

The reporting is lacking behind their competitors. A straight-forward payroll journal is not as easy to find as it should be. They do not file and remit payroll taxes in all states which is inconvenient.

Shilpa C.

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Payroll

Pros

Error free in terms of tax reporting is a plus

Cons

Cost of it is disappointing to me and it increased just double

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Guaranteed no Tax reporting errors
Ryan P.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is Awesome!

It was awesome! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was such a big help!! He was one of the best customer support agents I have spoken with in a long time!

Pros

Its very user friendly! For the most part very easy to navigate.

Cons

Sometimes its easy to get confused. But that is partly due to my knowledge and expertise.

Tiffany A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 10/02/2020

Wonderful tool

This is the first job I have had where I did payroll, and QuickBooks makes it easy for sure!

Pros

The ease of which to learn how to work this product is outstanding!

Cons

Every once in a while there is a glitch when I pay my contractors, but it's not hard to work around it.

John S.

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Helpful, but not intuitive

I was able to run payroll effectively for several years by using this software and was able to be up to date on my accounts without outsourcing it another employee. This was product was reliable and user friendly.

Pros

I appreciated the visual layout and overall usability of the software. I was able to repeat steps easily and learn each process in a reasonable about of time. I liked saving money by doing payroll myself instead of outsourcing it.

Cons

It was not as easily learned as other software I have used. The customer service for the software was not prompt nor were they quick with answers or suggestions.

Lisa P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Quickbooks

It was great for awhile but eventually we had to give in an turn it over to an accountant

Pros

It was a good tool to use for a family business. It did help keep finances in order.

Cons

After working allday it was hard to have to sit and navigate through everything to log everything in.