About Quickbooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks Point of Sale is a retail point of sale system suitable for various small businesses such as clothing and shoe stores, small franchises, sporting goods stores and gift shops. It offers inventory and customer management...

3.6
3.9
3.8

Browse Quickbooks Point of Sale Reviews

Reviewed on 05/02/2020

Best and Easiest POS

We use QuickBooks point-of-sale at work every day. It holds our inventory of over 2 million items. It’s rugged, and never let you down. Finding mistakes that your employees made is super easy, and easy to rectify. Whether you are computer savvy, or just using a computer for the first time, You’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale

Pros

I love how this point of sale is fully customizable to the customers needs. It offers everything you could want in a point of sale system. From sale orders to layaways, with QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be ready to sell within hours of super simple setup.

Cons

QuickBooks point-of-sale was quite costly to purchase all at once. But you only have to pay once.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

Shopify does not support gun stores
Ray

Reviewed on 29/05/2018

QuickBooks POS - not good for Retail, but anything else maybe

I generally liked the QB POS software and what it did for us, ... but we grew out of this. Ideally this would be great for a small business that had fixed assets that didn't change and if the SBO didn't want to pour out too much money for a POS.

Pros

1) They release a new product upgrade every other year so there is no need to update your computer software every year. The upgrades are not necessary, but upgrades to provide more features.
2) Everything is backed up to a single database file on the computer; so in the event of a computer crash as long as you're backing up the QBPOS db, you can re-install the software, re-point the db file and get going again.
3) It's easy to use and navigate.
4) Does not require internet connection if the internet goes down
5) Great reports
6) A great company, with solid reputation, with a good name brand product

Cons

1) Customer support is great, but you have to pay for it. I learned to reach out to 3rd party companies for Support. that seemed more eager and
2) Does not integrate with an online store presence. For our online store each time someone purchased something online we had to update our instore inventory; and vica-versa.
3) The software upgrade is a little pricey for 1 upgrade. I remember it was affordable for an upgrade for me; and we only had 1 POS computer & 1 seat. If we had 2 computers it would have been more expensive.
4) Constantly trying to add new inventory and remove old inventory was kind of a hassle. If your business had fixed assets then ideally this would be a good solution.
5) If your computer crashed or you need to get a new computer, you would have to setup the new computer and reinstall the software on the new computer along with the help of QB POS Tech Support. While this in itself wasn't bad it was trying to schedule a time that they were open and the store wasn't open so I could fix this.

Dora

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Quickbooks POS

Our overall experience since using POS 19.0 has been BAD.

Pros

The system is fairly easy to use and generally intuitive.

Cons

Since they did the upgrade to 19.0 they removed the multiple email options. We have used Quickbooks POS for over 12 years and it worked well. There were a few minor things we had to work around, but that was okay and it served our company well. Since upgrading to 19.0 we have had nothing but problems. Feature were taken away, the screens freeze, it locks up our computers, etc. Then there is the service issue - it will shut down my entire POS system so I'll have customer calling or waiting and not POS, can't process credit cards, ets. You call for service and it 15 minutes or more to get assistance. You go online for "faster service" and get a technician that can't help. HORRIBLE customer service. Once in a while you'll get a good technician who is knowledgeable, but that is very rare.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

I have used Quickbook Accounting software for over 30 years and it's worked well. I thought using the same parent company integration would be easier and work smoothly.

Top Quickbooks Point of Sale Alternatives

NCR Counterpoint

Square Payments

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Weldon

Reviewed on 14/07/2018

D cent POS software for the money but definitely could be better.

It runs my business

Pros

Seamless integration with Quickbooks and fairly simple setup as well as fairly inexpensive software are the best features.

Cons

Poor search features in make a sale and goofy differences between make a sale and sales order screens make it obvious that this is somewhat of an afterthought for QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

Happy Tuesday, Weldon. We love hearing about how we can improve the product, and interface suggestions are always very much appreciated. I'd be glad to pass your feedback along to the engineers directly, as they frequently review customer feedback when developing new features/enhancements. When you get a bit of downtime, please send your ideas to me in an email ([email protected]). I'll forward them on your behalf, and will keep a lookout for your message.

In the meantime, I encourage you to explore the Point of Sale Resource Center at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. There you'll find expert advice, articles, and workflow tips on the small business fundamentals, with a focus on the Point of Sale product.

Until we chat again, wishing you all the best!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 17/07/2018
Kevin

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Gotta Love It

QB Pos has really helped give us control over our retail operations. Couldn't live without now.

Pros

This software is full-featured and really does a great job of keeping track of everything going on in your store. From inventory to sales, the information is there and easy to access.

Cons

It can be a little tough to get information out in the form I want. Overall the reporting is great but I sometimes like to look at details that are cumbersome to get to.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Kevin. Knowing how helpful the product has been to keep up with your data makes our day. You can continue to count on us to have your back for years to come! To learn more about customizing reports, we recommend checking out this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382

Cheering you to continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 21/10/2019
Sonja

Reviewed on 01/04/2021

Difficult Program

Too difficult and creates such unproductivity in the staff when trying to correct sales, inventory, receiving, etc.

Pros

Not much. We use QB POS 18.0 and it's really not user friendly for anyone in our company. We went through a sales tax audit and the sales tax auditors refused to deal with POS reports because of it's difficulties.

Cons

See above. So much to write. The POS should when integrating with QB Enterprise have the correct sales receipts and journal reference numbers populating correctly but does not. Talking with POS IT people was futile in getting most of the issues resolved. We are looking at getting out of this software and into something else.

Sandra

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

Quickbooks POS has been helpful for organizing my small business

Pros

This product has allowed me to be more organized with my small business. I am able to keep track of my customers and the orders that they place. Also, my inventory is neatly organized and allows me to see exactly what items I have in stock and what items I need to order. I particularly like the "quick find" search option which I can use to quickly search for a specific item/client/or receipt. This option also searches through item descriptions which allows me to find exactly what I'm looking for with a few keywords. By far though, I really like how well and organized my previous sales are presented to me. I am able to see how my business is doing through various methods such as a pie chart or a graph, and using my own parameters to analyze my sales.

Cons

It does take a bit of a learning curve to fully grasp all that this POS system has to offer. It does have a tutorial and video guide to walk you step by step through all the features but you need to dedicate quite a bit of time just to learn everything. There are a lot options and a lot of ways to do each part of the POS system such as "make a sale", so it can take a while to figure out which method works best for you. Once you have learned everything, it takes a bit of practice in order to be able to do a function quickly enough to not keep clients waiting.

Jeanne
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Reviewed on 20/01/2019

Best in combination with Quickbooks accounting software

Overall, this is a decent POS software. I like that it talks to QuickBooks accounting software and manages inventory. Invest in a bar code scanner and receipt printer. Plug and play - easy to get them to work with the POS software. A good software for medium skill level users if you want more depth than a standard POS like Square.

Pros

Quickbooks POS is a good software to use in combination with the Quickbooks accounting software. It syncs your inventory, tracks your purchase orders, invoices, bills and checks. You can hook up a bar code scanner for ease of use and have a portable bar code scanner for inventory.

Cons

I'm sure there's better POS software out there but I'm used to Quickbooks and it seemed fairly easy to use. The interface could be better looking. It's kind of dated and a little complicated to look at and find what you need. The sync with the accounting software takes a while. You may have to find 5 minutes to do something else while waiting for it to sync.

Reviewed on 04/09/2018

QB Point of Sale Review

DIdn't require to be online as some other versions of a POS system do require. This is a nice feature as it is a pay one time not monthly.

Pros

Easy to adapt has two different screen settings that make it easy depending on your type of retail business that allows it easy to understand. If you are not a computer expert you can still feel smart using the POS software.

Cons

Price and if you do need to call for help, since it is a QB product support time is usually longer than you want. The support call time can be a problem if you have an issue with the POS system during normal operational hours.

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

Point of Sale Made Easier

Pros

Quickbooks Point of Sale is simple and easy to use. Nothing is far out of reach. Sales are a breeze and pulling reports is very easy with the improved user interface. The cloud-centric features are very nice too, offering seamless integration across devices and platforms. There is a POS for every industry in the retail arena.

Cons

It's kind of cumbersome to setup initially. I'd recommend having that part handled by an expert. Apart form that, I can't say anything else bad about it.

Michelle

Reviewed on 19/04/2016

We have used QB POS Multi store for a couple years.

Pros

Ease of ringing up customers. It's very simple to start ringing people up. We didn't have to train our staff more than a couple minutes.

Cons

1. Tech support is horrible. There is a reason this is number one!!!!!!
2. If you have more than one computer at a location there are issues if you don't have a wired internet which brought us down for hours and hours and hours over weeks without anyone diagnosing this to be the issue. Customer service just kept logging in and changing the IP address without explaining what they were doing. I finally got a good tech support person that helped me figure it out and how to fix it on my own. (Do NOT use wireless internet. You MUST use hard wire to computer.)
3. We have inventory items that keep reappearing after deleting them. We then tried to merge them and they still keep reappearing. Tech support couldn't remove them either. This really messes up our reports.
4. We had a day that at the end of the day QB restarted and lost ALL the transactions for the day. We were never able to get the information back and it also took a weeks worth of transactions with it. Tech support never retrieved the information nor could explain what happened.
5. There is only 2 levels of departments. You have a "work around" for this by allowing you to customize a field, but you have to write the department name in each time. If you forget the exact word you used such as "snack" instead of "snacks" it won't run adequate reports. I can't imagine many places that don't need more departments. For example, I have "Tours" and "Merchandise" as my main departments. I want to have "Snacks" "Apparel" and even further under snacks I'd like to have "Cookies" "Chips", etc.
6. Sending and receiving files from Intuit server does not always go through. This would be ok if there were an error message, but there isn't. It just didn't send. The only way to be sure this didn't happen when running a report on headquarters is to check to see if there is information each day. I have more than one location so this is tedious. If I find a day that is missing I have to have the staff manually go in and resend data.
7. I'm sure I have MUCH more, but that was the ones I could think of off the top of my head and QB POS has taken up enough of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can find a better solution I would before you could blink your eyes. I am constantly looking and shopping around.

• Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 13/02/2017

QuickBooks Pro Point of Sale Version 12

I've used QuickBooks Pro in my retail liquor store for about fourteen months. I don't like it, for four main reasons:

First, if I'm making a sale and I notice the price of the product or the on-hand quantity is wrong the software won't allow me to make corrections from the "Make a Sale" screen. It will allow me to change the price, but the change will show up on the receipt as a "discount," and the price will remain wrong in the database. To change the price or the on-hand quantity in the database requires exiting from the "Make a Sale" function and then entering the "Item List" function. This is impractical to do when a customer is waiting to pay and get on his way. It is also inconvenient and cumbersome to switch back and forth when we are checking in replacement inventory items during business hours and we have to get out of the “Item List” and go to the “Make a Sale” function. When we had Microsoft Point of Sale we could do both functions from the same screen.

Second, QuickBooks Pro will not produce a simple report showing what products were sold and how many were sold during a previous period of time, plus how many remain in inventory. I need to know this information so I can decide what items to replace in inventory. QuickBooks Pro will report all the sales during any chosen period, but obviously the same products are often sold multiple times during a day, so when I'm ordering I have to look at every transaction and consider whether to re-buy the same items multiple times, and then look at another report showing how many were sold during the past months. If you were in a business like mine you’d appreciate the difference between looking at several hundred individual transactions and looking at a single list that summarizes what was sold, how many remain in stock, and how many were sold in the past three months. I think a good POS system should be able to produce a list of what was sold in one column alongside another column showing how many remain in inventory, and a third column showing how many were sold during the previous three months or whatever time period the user would choose as a guide to decide how many of each to re-buy for stock. QuickBooks Pro will not do this. Also, QuickBooks will not let you copy the name of an item in a report, which would make reordering easier. Instead, I have to type the name of what I want when I go to the suppliers’ ordering systems.

Third, it won’t handle some barcodes. There are some that’ll work in the “Item List,” but not in the “Make a Sale” function and some vice versa. Some won’t work in either function. We never had this problem with Microsoft Point of Sale.

Fourth, and worst, QuickBooks drops transactions and changes the quantities of items in inventory. Every night when I do my tallies I have more money in the till than I should have for a number of sales that day as reported by QuickBooks. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason for this happening—the software just decides on its own to delete a transaction or two every day. It also decides on its own to make changes to the quantities of items in inventory, so I don’t really know how many of an item we have in stock without walking to the shelf and counting them myself. I seldom have time to do this, so I frequently order things we already have plenty of, or we run out of things and don’t notice it until a customer complains or we just see a hole in the shelf where something should go.

I’ve tried to imagine a business that would be satisfied with this software. Please don’t recommend it to clients with high product turnover and many transactions to keep up with.

Pros

Poor as it is, it does keep working. It hasn't crashed yet.

Cons

See review

Shelby

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

I feel like less competent than a monkey in a space rocket with this tool - NEED TRAINING!!

Pros

It seems that the ability to really do ANYthing with the software is there, yet without the proper time and training one can use it only to about 10% of its potential. That said, the 10% is better than the old cash register and this has been a very useful tool for getting our business's inventory managed and sales organized.

Cons

This is an incredibly complex system that ought to come along with intensive (and free of cost) training. This is not an intuitive software and there are just so many ins and outs and ups and downs that I learn something new everytime I poke around a bit and think: "shoot, I wish I would have known about that three years ago when I got this thing!!!"

hunter

Reviewed on 15/08/2021

let me explain my review

read above

Pros

Our business has been using quick books POS since we opened our shop in Oct of 2004. We were advised that we needed to upgrade to quick books 19 as their systems don't last forever . our computer technician ( whom has installed over 60 quickbook programs) came and installed it on a Friday Morning . ( never do anything that has to do with banking on a Friday because you can't tell if things are working due to the banks being closed for the weekend) ! Turns out the Quickbooks system was faulty. which means no transactions were recorded. ( on our end it looked like everything was going through) . When Monday came and no sales where deposited the alarm in our heads went off. We thought since it was a new system maybe it needed one more day to settle and batch. Man where we wrong. We lost all sales and Merchandise from Friday- Tuesday. Quickbooks will not even talk to us! we have called dozens of times trying to figure things out and recoup our losses. Please think twice before using a business with no accountability. Being a small Mom and Pop you can imagine what this has done to our bottom line.

Cons

this is a business with no accountability. You can not get anyone of the phone to help. They have passed the buck every time that we have called . then they say we will call you back and they never do. Please think twice before using this company.

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

Great software for our business needs.

Pros

It is a great software tools to not only track our business finances, but also our customers, vendors, and employees easily on 1 site.

Cons

Only 1 user can work the program at a time and then the file must be backed up each time for another use to log in. We tried the online version and did not like it so when we went back to the desktop program 5 months later, we had to back track months of data.

Carole

Reviewed on 11/08/2017

Too many crashes

Pros

I liked the reports that were set up in the system. I was able to track my business easily with little effort. It was quite easy to learn to operate.

Cons

It got to the point that we couldn't trust the inventory numbers anymore. It was spitting out numbers that were questionable based on given facts. We changed to a web based program so we could access it from anywhere.

Susan

Reviewed on 14/07/2017

Quickbooks POS

Pros

Simple to use, self explanatory, Easy set up- easy to talk an employee through over the phone if they need to use a new part of the system

Cons

It would help if there was a report that showed busy times of day, how many invoices per hour, -is good for staffing purposes and when looking at hourly changes-my old system had this and we used it quite alot

Jaunett
  • Industry: Supermarkets

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

QB POS is worth a try

Pros

QuickBooks POS is a very affordable system. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Excellent at tracking inventory. QuickBooks tech support cannot be beat.

Cons

Reports are clunky and hard to navigate. The POS system does not connect with QuickBooks desktop as well as it should.

Mia

Reviewed on 26/02/2018

Easy Use

Pros

Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Ed
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 19/07/2018

Using outdated version.

looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

Pros

Using Quickbooks Accounting, so integrates well. Feels a lot like Quickbooks Accounting so is easy to use.

Cons

We have V12, which is over five years old, and we could not get any help desk support for this older version.

Andy

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

I am happy , i like it

Pros

Very easy operations, daily reports and
Inventory maintenance, very easy to operate
Price look up and price change is easy. This product is really good and affordable, I already have 3 stores, I am using same Product for My all business.

Katherine

Reviewed on 05/04/2017

Terrible support

Don't purchase a POS solution where the administration for support takes hours before you can get a support person online. Also, because of turnover at our organization, we have been trying to change the contract person for more than a month. The requirements include a copy of drivers license, copy of bank account, and letter from President !! Really ?? Top that off with contact people who you have no idea where they are located. Administration that insists on calling back 'after hours' for our Eastern time zone and the support turns out to be useless at best. We cannot change the contact person and the actual tech support team members cannot help us out with intermittent issues with the POS freezing up. I would never recommend QB, Intuit, or the POS. AND I have to add that there is no escalation at Intuit, so no one actually cares that there are problems.

Pros

Inexpensive POS software, but the tech support and administration is nearly impossible to work with.

Cons

POS is general a mission critical function and the support from QB POS is the worst I have ever experienced

Nitika

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Quickbooks is easy to use and takes care of all of our payroll needs

Pros

I like that it is easy to use for someone who is not an accountant. It is easy to categorize vendors and employees. It is easy to pull all kinds of reports to stay on top of finances. It is also easy to track various bank accounts in one place. I just love it!

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about this software. There is some functionality such as the vacation pay that could be a little more user friendly I feel. We have employees who get paid a set amount of vacation a year and by hours they work. And we found it a little confusing to set up. But, it did get set up.

Jevanni

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

It will make your work day simpler and more efficient. You should definitely give it a try

Pros

Quick books allows me to easily search customers and all the information we have on each one. I can find their location, phone number, email address and much more just with a few clicks.

Cons

Price, seems high but for everything it does it was worth it. Saved me from using an accountant and paying someone else to keep my books. I was able to do it all myself.

Lonne
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 09/08/2017

Quickbooks POS is very powerful, but requires a paid IT staff person to set up and maintain.

As powerful as a jet fighter plane, and just as complicated to learn to fly! Requires a very high committment to training and a competent bookkeeping and IT support staff.

Pros

Very, very powerful features and capability. An overwhelming number of features for customizing and controlling inventory.

Cons

Exceedingly complicated and difficult to learn. Would not recommend this to any business or non-profit that cannot afford to hire both bookkeeping and IT professionals to set up and keep the system maintained.

Although Quickbooks POS and Quicbooks Bookkeeping software is supposed to be fully integrated, classifications set up in POS do not automatically port over to Quickbooks Bookkeeping software.

Many of the reports are not intuitive to generate or interpret.

Fixing after-the-fact sales errors in POS is problematic and overly complicated.