About Samsara

Samsara is a cloud-based fleet management solution that offers features such as GPS tracking, trailer tracking, dashboard camera, routing and dispatch, reefer monitoring and more. It is designed to help small and midsize fleet...

Browse Samsara Reviews

Anthony S.

Reviewed on 10/08/2019

Samsara Commited Fraud Against Our Company

I was a customer of Samsara for over 2 years. After believing Samsara was a good company I referred other companies, also due to the referral incentives pushed by their sales associates. I referred a fleet over to Samsara after some time Samsara stop receiving payment from the referred company they decided to take money from my card on file monthly for that referred companies bill. I was unaware when it started thinking it was my monthly payment for my fleet of truck until one day I was looking through bank statements and noticed multiple payments being pulled monthly from Samsara. I immediately contacted their accounting department and was given the run around for nearly two months. After sometime a rep called me and basically said it was a mistake that must of been my fault and they will not be refunding over 3,000.00 that was deducted throughout nearly a year. I tried to reason with them as being a long time customer that they can pay me back slowly or work out some type of repayment and I was basically told they will not reimburse any of my money taken. I am taken the proper steps now to ensure I am reimbursed by Samsara since they were illegally pulling payments from my account for another trucking company's bill. I am also leaving this comment to make other customers aware of the shady business being performed behind closed doors.

Pros

I have no Pros after there was continuous issues throughout the time I was locked into my contract.

Cons

Read my overall experience worst experience ever!!!

Response from Samsara

We appreciate your feedback and we're so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We've informed our Finance team about your situation as we always want to give our customers the best experience possible.

Replied 13/08/2019
Caira S.

Samsara Review

works fine

Pros

Easy to use. Easy for drivers to also use

Cons

takes too much to get equipment replaced

Reasons for Choosing Samsara

Easier to use

James B.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

A great system

We had another elog system that we had issues with the system connecting to it's own components in the truck and keeping a signal so that the driver could stay logged in on the system. The Samsara system has removed all of the issues with connectivity.
It also has a much better dashboard of features than the other elog system. When you can give engine codes to the repair shop, repairs can be done quicker as well.
A feature the previous system did not come with at all was a dash camera. The Samsara system allows you to add on a camera that works in conjunction with the system. For our business, we decided to do the dual cam so we can see what the driver is doing as well as see what was going on in front of the truck. When the drivers heard we were looking at getting cameras, they asked to see if we were going to get the driver cam. The drivers wanted to make sure we got them so that when the next car versus truck accident happens to them, they will more likely be found not at fault since they want to be seen as paying attention and not distracted. Of course there are the drivers that did not want them due to "big brother" concerns. Everyone does agree when the time comes, that the camera will save their job if they were doing their job.

Pros

The software is all on the internet. I can use the fleet management portion on my tablet, my phone, or any computer as long as I have my login information. So far any tablet or phone I have tried the driver app on has worked.

Cons

Only the most minor of issues and even then it is almost not worth mentioning however to be an honest review I do need to mention it. The driver app has locked up while being used on the tablet. No reason has been found as to why as of yet. The app also does not keep the tablet screen on when the app is running which some people don't see as an issue.

Top Samsara Alternatives

Davide G.

Honest Feedback.

From install to getting educated to the use of the information daily, it has created revenue generating opportunities in addition to our core competencies.

Pros

Ease of use and customer service along the way. The demo's helped me validate internally, and we have used other providers, but as long as Samsara has the customer support after the sale, they will wipe away any competition.

Cons

There really isn't anything about the Samsara product that we don't like.

Brady P.

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

nice

all good till the cams. told salesman had to have audio. frnt facing cam that he said did have audio doesnt. i got ahold of him and he said he'd get it turned on. ive called and left messages 4 times since and left messages. no reply!! called coustomer service she said she'd give him the message. its been 2 weeks now without a reply. so now im paying for something i didnt want. so to say the least im not too happy..

Pros

being able to track my fleet.

Cons

at&t spotty service.

Reasons for Switching to Samsara

testing the waters until the camera problem.
Jeffrey L.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Review on Samsara Camera System

The overall experience has been very positive. A lot of bad habits and behaviors has been cut down tremendously. Having this technology in the truck helps ease the minds of the driver when other vehicles are not driving in a safe manner. We had a situation on our trial timeline with a tractor trailer backed up into the front of the vehicle. The driver jumped out and automatically started hollering that "we rear ended him". The driver smiled but still was making sure the driver was ok and said "that's not what my camera says". The other driver changed his story right on the spot and apologized. The Samsara representative and our staff was very impressed on the legal aspects that this system.

Pros

- Artificial Intelligence is great
- Easy to use platform
- Installation was easy
- Gives great overall driver information

Cons

-Waiting to see how the backup feature for the trucks work

Michael N.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 10/05/2021

Routing and API integration for Proof of Delivery is not reliable - No tech support follow up

Sales team is very nice and tries to help, but the upper level tech support is non-existent or simply does not care.
Overall the basic functionality of Samsara is good, but be very careful of trying to integrate too deeply as you will be on your own with the API.

Pros

The cameras, vehicle monitoring and GPS are very good. Managers using the web app like the ability to check-in on the cams as the drivers are on their delivery routes. Detailed vehicle information provided to our Fleet Operations is extremely useful in managing vehicle maintenance.

Cons

Using the API to download routes and create Proof of Delivery documents has proven to be unreliable and Samsara Tech support is nowhere to be found. Very helpful with simple things but anything with the API is beyond them. After spending over $20,000 building the connection and screens to support Proof of Delivery, we found it simply would not work reliably with about 20% of the document signatures not being captured by Samsara. Also could not post a route larger than 20 stops, that is the limit built into Samsara, we can have routes with up to 30 stops in a day.
Samsara never tried to work directly with my team, instead we had to upload screenshots, code snippets and detailed explanations which they would take 3 to 5 days to respond to, never providing any fix or communicating with us directly.
This went on for over 8 MONTHS and finally we had to pull the plug on the project and just use the driver / vehicle monitoring functions. Huge waste of time and resources.

WorkWave Service

Reasons for Choosing Samsara

Thought we would be able to integrate with Samsara API for Proof of Delivery documents.
Hal W.

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

If you need ELD, you need Samsara.

I have used several other ELD systems and eventually found Samsara. It worked out of the box like it should and the admin website is very easy to use as well as the user app. Most of all, when any issue or question did come up, contacting Samsara customer support was simple and they were very quick to respond to our needs.

Pros

Samsara is very easy to implement and very easy to use.

Cons

There really aren't any drawbacks using Samsara.

Sharron T.

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Samsara ELD's

I have used other ELD companies and Samsara is by far the best. They are quick with customer service and they have listened and helped with customer feedback about different features I would like to see. I can keep up with my fleet and I know that Samsara is there at any time to help me solve problems quickly.

Pros

I love that I can access this software anywhere and it is very user friendly. It allows me to share the dashboard with others in the office to keep up with our fleet. Our drivers also love the mobile app. It has a hotspot and so it is easy for them to be connected which allows the data to be sent to the office.

Cons

There have been a few times that when they push through updates, it slows everything down and some of the drivers have had problems with the mobile app but that is easily taken care of.

• Industry: Utilities

Moss Utilitites

Its been great excellent support team too.

Pros

The dual camera and also the video camera is also great. Panel with all the information showing for your vehicle.

Cons

Nothing, It has been a great camera and GPS tracking.

Had dual cameras
John S.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Clean and easy to use interface

tremendous. the customer service and response we have experienced with Samsara is ultimately what made us choose them over other providers

Pros

My favorite aspect of Samsara is the intuitive feel of the interface. When we were discerning on which ELD and telematics provider to choose, Samsara's program felt as if i had been operating it for years. the menus are very easy to navigate.

Cons

I wish that there was a mobile app for administrators, rather than the web browser, as sometimes im not by my desktop or laptop.

KeepTruckin and Verizon Connect

Reasons for Switching to Samsara

customer service, ease of use, clean operating interface
Liliana G.

Reviewed on 29/10/2020

Software constantly has issues

The software constantly has glitches. Some glitches were not so important to me but, others made Samsara more of liability. Also, it was always a challenge to get help when system had issues. The response I received 95% of the time was... Our engineers are working to get this resolved and months would go by before the problem was solved. Not to mention I was locked into a contract for 3 yrs.

Pros

It is cloud based, has real time location of truck with map and has a driver app.

Cons

Software is faulty. Most recent issue gateway is supposed to automatically record driving time but, it's recording driving AFTER driver is going off duty and truck is parked.. causing HOS violations on log.. tried editing but, because the edit is from DRIVING (incorrectly recorded) to OFF DUTY it indicates there is still an ELD violation. Reached out to Samsara they said it will be about 2 months before this can be fixed. I've decided not to renew my contract.

Response from Samsara

Hi Liliana,
We're really sorry to hear this has been your experience and apologize for the frustration this may have caused you. We'd like to work together to make sure we resolve all of the issues you've been experiencing - please reach back out to our Support team at 415-329-6900 and we'll get this sorted ASAP.

Replied 04/11/2020
Steve P.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Feature-rich platform with intuitive UI

Before using Samsara, we had no visibility over the location of our fleet, no way to verify the safe driving habits of our drivers, and mileage was tracked on paper. Samsara has solved these problems for us.

Pros

The platform's intuitive design makes it easy to get up an running quickly, and training new users is a breeze. Realtime GPS tracking, event-based alerts, and the ability to remotely view engine fault codes are super helpful for managing our fleet.

Cons

The routing feature could be improved by adding priority-based stops instead of time-based stops. This use case would work well for our on-site service team that can spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours at the customer's location.

James L.

Peace of Mind

Super friendly staff, getting the program implemented from start to finish was easy with samsara staff helping us through the process

Pros

The user interface and the fact I can provide real time coaching, routing, and also review alerts that are sent in real time.

The fact that the AI is always learning and can make suggestions on what the harsh event is

Cons

Some harsh events are not really harsh, it does take the ai some time to learn.

Greg Y.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

Samsara sensor review

It has been great so far. Customer service is great and we receive fast responses whether needing a quote or technical support.

Pros

The ability to track temp
Ability to go back in time all the way to when we started using the software
Easy connectivity
Easy install
Alert features---cell phone and email

Cons

Sometimes we've had some disconnection from the system

Gary N.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

You WILL loose video

Not very good. They said this is a stated limitation.

Pros

You will loose the first minute of almost all motion, the camera doesn't turn on when driving below 5MPH this means for the first 45 seconds or so, you will get no video, this is more than often in my experience have found when drivers will hit a wall or another car. I have missed 5 accidents so far. I subscribed to 3 years with my whole fleet, after on year, I am chalking this up as a loss. :(

Cons

Doesnt record when the vehicle is powered on. You WILL loose important info. I never see when they leave a location, it doesn't kick on until they have hit the road. This means when they first pull of from ANYWHERE, you will loose all video

Hayden H.

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

The only choice for fleet owners to reduce accidents

10 out of 10

Pros

1000% decrease in harsh driver events due to cabin camera

Cons

Nothing, a perfect application for driving in city traffic.

Intuitve setup and use

Pros

Generally this software is very intuitive. It is easy to locate functions within the application and everything is very easy to use.

Cons

I am quite satisfied with the software. We had a couple of issues early in our program rollout. However, support was right there to help us out with those problems.

Dale M.

Outstanding GPS system!

Outstanding all the way around. We've been able to keep better track of our vehicle maintenance and driver behavior.

Pros

The customer service is top notch along with the different features. It gives all the information we need on our drivers and vehicles at the touch of our finger tips.

Cons

Would like for a customer representative to contact us after a year to review how we are using it and to see if we could use to system more to our advantage.

Dan D.

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

Samasara asset management

We have maintained our business process after migrating to Samsara while working with Samsara to offer useful suggestions to improve features

Pros

Provides a solid foundation for asset management, location tracking and electronic logging

Cons

Lacking reporting features of many alternatively available products

Bob M.

Bob Muhlenforth

Overall good experience it allows me to track my drivers location and IFTA mileage along with keeping my drivers DOT compliant

Pros

We had another company's unit and wasn't as user friendly and didn't record accurate mileages on the tractors

Cons

Logging out is still a big issue for drivers. Even after they log out sometimes they remain on duty so when someone else uses the vehicle it registers as the driver who's off duty

Dick E.

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

Would refer to a freind

Samsara has improved their customer service immensely, I can call and ask questions and not get the run around.

Pros

I like that you can ease into it for first timers and that you can just navigate from screen to screen. I like that the customer service is great now!!

Cons

I am still unsure about some items . Should do a training class or webinar for admins. So the site can be utilized to its full capacity.

Andy F.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

quality product/service

Pros

When we need something the samsara team is always available to help. reports are easy to pull

Cons

the mobile app isn't as functional as I would like to see it

Bob D.

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

safety supervisor

The staff is awesome,

Pros

easy to use, driver friendly. letting us know whats new.

Cons

doesn't have the big day exemption or the 14 hr exemption countdown for the break.

Dawn V.

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

Great customer service, program is awesome.

Pros

I like how it is all tied in together. I like the HOS screen a lot. I like the helicopter view. Overall I like the program very much!! Seems very accurate and on spot. I love the camera option!

Cons

I don't like that the drivers can't see their specific times better on the logs. Seems to take a long time sometimes to "catch up" with the driver. I wish that the speed limits were better updated as I have noticed that it alerts a speeding truck and they aren't actually speeding. I think that it would be great if on the main fleet map area that the trucks could be green for moving, red for stopped and engine off, and yellow or orange for trucks that are idling.