Toast POS Reviews

About Toast POS

Toast POS is a flexible system built exclusively for restaurants and the food service industry. Offering tools like online ordering, delivery, takeout, mobile app ordering, contactless payments, and e-gift card purchasing, this...

3.9
4.1
3.7

Browse Toast POS Reviews

Jeff
Jeff

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Aloha Cloud and Time Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

More robust and offered more scale as we grow to keep everything on one platform.

Response from Toast

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Replied 08/11/2019

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

Learning curve

decent, not thrilled

Pros

There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

Cons

Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Replied 15/08/2019
Andrea

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Toast is easy to use!!

Pros

We do not currently use the POS system for this client. I do, however, have other clients that use Toast POS and really like the ease of use.

Cons

I wish there were a few more options. Also, there are a few things that have been discontinued that I used to use--Progressive Discipline

Response from Toast

Thanks for the 5-star review! We're thrilled to know we're meeting your needs as a system.

Top Toast POS Alternatives

Steph

Reviewed on 23/12/2023

small seasonal

Pros

HELP WITH ACCURACY OF ADDING TICKETS speeds up our process

Cons

set up was awful, customer service doesn't understand my needs. I have to all monthly to get my billing straight.

Response from Toast

Hi Steph, thanks for your feedback. We're committed to improving the customer experience and hope we can continue tom meet your needs asa system.

KRISTEN
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 31/10/2023

Toast for High-End Restaurant that is part of a Hotel/Banquet/Spa Resport

Positive, for both POS and Payroll. While we have had a few hiccups, I have been impressed with Customer Service and Tech Support in most instances

Pros

Self-Install was a little bit complicated but Toast Support was very helpful. The interface is very intuitive and overall simple to follow and teach. Some financial reports don;t show exactly what we'd like, but Toast Support is helping us create custom reports for everything we need.

Cons

Setting up the menu and revenue centers, especially chaging the revenue centers has been less simple than I'd like.

Response from Toast

Hi Kristen, thanks for taking the time to share your experience using Toast! We're thrilled that the interface is simple enough for you to follow and teach your team. We're always here to help support you! If you haven't already, please join our online community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders. - Carrisa

Replied 01/11/2023

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

Toast POS has been a nightmare

I was excited, but knew i made a huge mistake the day we went live, they ran out the door as soon as we were hooked up with zero training, and it only got worse which is why i'm here.I have a 39 Year old restaurant with a pretty large menu, it wasn't easy to make the switch, but i did, and regret it.

Pros

The handheld device is nice, but i only ordered one, when i tried to send a second one back they told me to keep it, but still charged me for 2 ($100.00) month.

Cons

I was mislead by their sales team, it never felt right but i was sold on the 3rd party integration, once i found out they don't integrate, it took a month to find out the truth, but was still billed for things i didn't receive or use, even things like Caller ID (common 101 stuff with so called older POS companies) i understand they discontinued, but they still charged me for it, and refused to refund without a fight.Bottom line, this has been the single worst decision iv'e made as a small business owner, and it's not over yet, i'm still fighting to learn new system, a system i wish i never moved forward with. do your research, it's not always greener on the other side.If you're a huge company with multiple locations then Toast might work for you, you would also need to have a very small menu with very few modifiers for it to work and be worth it, but honestly after the huge expense monthly plus CC processing is it really worth it?

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

I was under the impression they offered features that i found more valuable like 3rd Party Order Processing and Marketing, however by the time you add up all they have and charge you for it's 70% more than other companies, not to mention they don't actually offer things like 3rd party order integration, unless you use their drivers, that's not what i was told by sales team, now i'm stuck here, and they charged me fully right away and refused any refunds even though i did NOT get what i wanted, also charged me for Caller ID too which was new to they, they scrapped it after we went live, but still charged me and refused to refund.I wish Caller ID was the least of my problems.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

What they offered to do and integrate, but they failed to integrate what they said, but still charged 100% right away and refused any refund.

Response from Toast

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your review. We'd like to look into this further and will be reaching out shortly to get this resolved.

Replied 16/08/2023
Luis

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

No Customer Service

I understand nothing is perfect however when you combine it with a lack of customer service this drastically decreases the value of the product.

Pros

Easy setup, very intuitive, easy to train employees

Cons

The customer service is very poor. They don’t even pretend to care. If able I would post the corespondents I have had with the company. Extremely poor however they are quick to bill or sell you an add on.

Response from Toast

Hi Luis, thanks for sharing your feedback. Please know that your feedback is important to us, and we're working to ensure our customer service can meet your needs as a restaurant operator. - Carrisa

Replied 08/11/2023
Myrhissa

Reviewed on 24/12/2023

Love using Toast POS

Pros

The ease of navigating and using Toast. I have had new employees who have never used and they find it so easy to use first time.

Cons

The glitches every once and a while. We would be in middle of service and a handheld with just glitch and not work.

Response from Toast

Hi Myrhissa, thank you for sharing your experience and feedback.

Paris
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 02/02/2024

Toast is essential for Restaurants

Great POS system for our restaurant, staff loves it and so does management.

Pros

The best thing about Toast is the ease of use. Menu screens are easy to read and navigate and quickly enter orders. Back end is easy to manage.

Cons

The customer service when you call in for issues is not great. I had 2 credit card readers down and it took over 2 hours and 2 phone calls to convince support that they were indeed bad. Lots of testing when finally I demanded replacement readers for mine which were still under warranty and they finally gave in. Too much time for that small issue.

Response from Toast

Hi Paris, thanks for leaving us a review!

Replied 13/02/2024
Ramon

Reviewed on 23/12/2023

Toast has baked it's way into our operation

Pros

It has many comparable features that I was used to with the Dominos Pizza PULSE system.

Cons

The mobile access to data that has since been solved with the IOS app. I am really looking forward to the andriod version.

Response from Toast

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and experiences using Toast with our team!

Katie

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Toast Support needs a lot of "Support"

Overall I like using Toast and the various integration options, but if they cannot get better support solutions, they will conitnue to have angry merchants who wait weeks for solutions and have to spend time digging for their own solutions after Toast cannot help or refuses to help. In a fast moving business like a restaurant, having to wait weeks for support especially on issues that cause revenue loss is devastating and would be a reason to find another POS solution. If you're going with Toast make sure you have managers who are experts at troubleshooting and critical thinking because they will have to figure out problems themselves a lot and will have to be able to articulate in very simple terms to the support team what the issue is for it to be understood.

Pros

Toast software works pretty well, and has a lot of integration partners which is nice for a growing small business who is looking to integrate several different tech options.

Cons

The "Support" or lack there of leaves much to be desired. When I call support often times I am teaching or coaching their support people on what the issue is or how to fix it. They often sound like they are reading solutinos from a flip book and many times the solutions offered are not for the problem I am describing. I have to repeat myself more than 4 or 5 times for them to understand what the issue is and even then, it is painful to get them to understand the problem and offer me appropriate support.Further, I recently had a support issue that I had to call and email about for 3 weeks straight every day in which they continued to offer no support and today told me they refused to send me to the integrations department because the problem I was experiencing was not a toast problem. Turns it is WAS. I have never been refused support before. Very dissapointed in their support or lack there of.

Aloha Cloud, Clover and Olo

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Price, integration opportunities, growth potential, ease of use
Linda

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Great POS System for Restaurants

We've been pretty happy with Toast. We've used them for over 4 years & have no thoughts about switching POS systems.

Pros

It is so easy to make changes & push them to the terminals. Easy to manage from home rather than having to be onsite all the time. Credit card payments are received in a timely manner & customer service has always taken great care of us. Also a great point is that you can keep running when the internet goes down. It's not perfect, but it's the best that we've seen.

Cons

Servers complain that when you close the credit card orders that you have to enter your POS number again. I complain because I can't see more than 24 months of information and can only see it 6 months at a time. I wish that sales were assigned to the time frame they were purchased at and not at the time that the ticket was opened.

Wendy

Reviewed on 06/12/2022

Essential

The best pos out there for all restaurants.

Pros

Toast offers all the tools we need as a business. We initially adopted to get away from our legacy system that did not offer affordable POS option with cloud-based services at the time. Toast makes it easy for me to manage all three of my locations.

Cons

There are a few glitches in the system that could be fixed faster. They generally do update and fix quickly but some things take away as they gather user feedback. Also, it would be nice to enterprise our menu management for multi-locations.

Square Point of Sale and Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Micros sucked. It went down a lot and we had to constantly deal with a mess of cables and connections to fix and you always had to go to the physical location to do anything for the menu or labor or reports. It was an ancient system compared to these days.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Toast was restaurant specific and a good mix of user friendly and robust reporting and integrations.
Nick

Reviewed on 31/03/2023

very happy

Pros

sales and labor summaries and ease of menu edits

Cons

one half star for tech support...almost worthless compared to Aloha's professional and knowledgeable tech pros, absolutely awesome

Aloha Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

features for restaurant, ease of report access

Aloha Cloud

better overall score

Response from Toast

Hi Nick! We're pleased to know you're very happy with your experience using Toast and appreciate your feedback on tech support.

Replied 16/08/2023
Karin

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Toast Changed Everything for the Better

Pros

We started with Toast in 2020 during the pandemic. Toast was the only thing that was good about that year! The integration of the online ordering into our daily or weekly menu updates are seamless. Customers had questions answered and orders filled without our help or guidance. I love the ease of use for service. We have had several new staff members and they pick up the system without too much training. It's easy to transfer tickets and items, cancel sales and give discounts, as well as run all the reports we need for success.

Cons

I wish there was an app where I could change things, look at reports, and update menus from my phone instead of going through a browser.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

The integration of online ordering in 2020. We never did takeout too much before the pandemic made it necessary.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Other restaurants who were using it had attractive and easy to use systems.
Tony
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 08/07/2018

Our company's experience with Toast has been pretty terrible.

The benefits we have gotten are overshadowed by the drawbacks.

Pros

The front end functionality is pretty good, though not as good as it was sold. Aloha was better. There are features such as drag and drop table transfers that are pretty neat. Splitting checks is very easy.

Cons

I researched Toast very thoroughly and went through many hours of Q&A with the sales team. I feel duped.

I should have dug deeper and gotten more personal feedback from current users.

The platform has certain features that are very good, but not enough to outweigh all of the bad.

Hands down the worst part of it are their service and support after the sale. If I ever get through to support, they typically have to call me back with a solution...which never happens. My account "manager" responds to every communication with regurgitated boilerplate BS and has yet to solve any of my issues.

We have frequent issues with our card readers, and our warranty period is up in November. They won't replace the crap readers with the newer upgrades.

You don't get nearly the functionality and ease of use on the back end that you pay for. The reporting features are weak at best.

The inventory module is terrible. They claim you can use the tablets to do inventory...which is true, but it takes 4x longer to do it that way because you can't select the fields to enter the numbers and then when you do, often times the quantities change. My account "manager" replied to my complaints about this with "Our inventory module may not be as robust as you need, maybe you could add on one of our partner software companies."

Short story: Run from Toast and never look back. I regret the move every single day.

Response from Toast

Tony - We're sorry to hear that Toast has not lived up to your expectations. Hardware reliability and support responsiveness are top priorities for us. We recently covered our plan for staffing and additional resources in the Live Q&A with Toast Leadership (watch it here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Webinars-Toast-Leadership). Please note that this video requires a Toast login.

We're committed to making your experience with Toast a positive one. Your Restaurant Success Manager is not a technical expert, but is there to advocate on your behalf. She will work with you to ensure you get what you need out of our product.

Replied 17/07/2018

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Disappointing

Below average. They've kept the software running at all times and that's a huge plus. However, they are charging top dollar and we were expecting a fantastic product. The product is only OK. The service has been spotty; at times good, at times not.

Pros

The POS portion is solid. It's generally easy to use. It's been up about 99.9% of the time which is not true of all software. The people we have dealt with there have been nice and responsive.

Cons

The back end of the software is poorly designed and written. The inventory module is laughably bad; looks like it was designed and written by a college kid in a couple hours. The reporting is also not well thought out. More than once we've found the only option for a pretty standard report is to download data into Excel and manipulate it ourselves. There is no accounting application and no interface with Quickbooks. Generally it looks like a solid group designed the POS and then those people left or started working on other things.

The service during the Covid 19 pandemic has been awful. It's nearly impossible to reach support and honestly makes me wonder if these guys are solvent. We had two management contacts that we would call in cases where we had support issues. Now both of those people have been (apparently) laid off. When we called support the last time, the recording warned that there were 33 people ahead of us in line. I've waited for an hour and eventually given up when there were only 12 ahead of me.

Devin

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

A disastrous experiment

The initial sales experience was exhausting. It's like they hire people from the mattress stores: they quote you prices at 4,000% of what they need and then call you constantly, coming down.

The equipment's sleek and they're good at helping with installation. But if you're a small outfit like mine, they probably sold you twice as much stuff as you need.

Pre-pandemic the customer service was on point. But then the Toast-Go that my coffee shop relied on (the mobile unit we used in our drive-thru window) crapped out; it just stopped charging. They sent me another one, but for five days or so the speed of our drive-thru service was significantly impaired.

Then the new Toast-Go crapped out: it just didn't charge anymore. Same thing. This time it was impossible to reach customer service. Apparently they laid off most everyone in COVID April. Maybe it was possible if you could wait on hold for a couple hours. There is no "callback" function on their customer service line: you have to listen to the music.

Through their awkward online customer service mechanism, I suggested they send me another MobileGo but let me hang onto the current one, in case it started charging again (the previous one had done this, after several days of lying dead, before I had to send it back). They never got back and ended up charging me for the new piece in spite of my warranty.

The new one crapped out. I canceled my contract. They're making me buy it out for $33 a month x 20. I hate Toast.

Pros

The UI is pretty intuitive and the reporting is very solid.

Cons

It failed constantly. They're charging me anyway.

Kristina

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Act Now!

Overall very satisfied with toast! Would recommend to any growing company!

Pros

User friendly! Customer service and software is up to current.

Cons

That it's still in the building blocks stages and it's not 100% full proof when integrated with third party deliveries. It will unarchive old data daily. One has to be very dedicated to this position to make it work!

iCloud
Michelle

Reviewed on 30/03/2017

Why I chose Toast

With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP.
Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

Horrible customer service

Horrible, sales rep, upper management & customer care is a joke. On [SENSITIVE CONTENT], my terminal broke and they said they would over night another one it took three weeks , which really hurt our business , and frustrated our employees, that are hard to come by right now. The terminal they sent had no protective material around it and it arrived broken , waited another week for a new one, NOW 4 WEEKS with out a terminal. I needed to send back the original broken terminal but they never sent me a label. I had no idea where they wanted it send, it took 6 phone calls, one call I was on hold for 53 minutes all phone calls took at least 30 minutes of my time retelling the story and how I JUST NEEDED A RETURN LABEL<,also dozens of emails (their customer care email NO responded) at long last today I received an email [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from FED EX with a label to print.No email from Toast, so I am assuming this label is to return my broken terminal ,by the way they are billing me for the unreturned terminal $1400.00 which has sat on my desk since August.I would love noting more then to send it back to them and get it off my desk. TOAST "customer CARE "is about as bad as it gets. I do not recommend this company . The day to day POS works fine, most of the time but if you need help you will be forgotten and your business will feel the pain . Remember it took us 4 weeks to get a new POS terminal and months to return the broken one only because they would not send a label.

Pros

The software is fine, works like most others

Cons

The software is fine, works like most others

Reviewed on 02/02/2022

Lacking in customer service

Pros

User friendly and efficient. That pretty much sums it up but they said my response was too short.

Cons

Many additional charges after purchase
Reports cannot be easily pulled for long date ranges
LACKING IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Clover

Aloha Cloud and POSitouch

Price point and referral
mattt

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

The functionality is perfect, the credit cards fees and the customer service are terrible

great when your buying, lots of turnover in account management, and customer service is non existent when you have a real issue... you just have to deal with it until they decide to call you during your rush, so you can't take the call and then you start all over again.. LOL

Pros

functionality. We have used for 10 years about, since they started I guess we are early adopters. It has truly developed into a great pos, with lots of flexibility. The online ordering portal is second to none. Though they should have some features, like car color and make type options.

Cons

Credit card fees for card not on hand is exorbitant and you can't use other cc companies with this software/tablet. The customer service might be the worst I have ever experienced. "we will escalate this to tier 2" blah, blah, blah.. hilarious. We have a mountain of open cases. Our first pos was with a local guy who built his own software. It was incredible how flexible the software was. It even downloaded directly into our quickbooks without any third party having to do translation. Amazing!! ultimately he retired and never took the software to the next level. Too bad.

Rachel

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Toast Toast Toast

I think that overall I enjoy Toast, I am not looking to change over to anything new. I really dislike the tech support side. I had an issue that took 4 months to resolve that seriously impacted my business and I kept having to re-explain my issue over and over again and call multiple times a week for answers. I also have have pretty incompetent people not able to troubleshoot with me over the phone and I am on the phone with an issue no less than an hour, which really makes it difficult for me to do my job considering I have one screen and I need to be present for my customers. I had no help setting up any of my devices and ended up doing it completely by myself, which, of course, there were some initial kinks to work out. Aside from tech support, it's been easy to use for the most part and I find that it helps my business a lot.

Pros

I love the back end use of toast, once you understand how to set up the menus, it is really easy to go in and make changes. I love the ability to compare sales from any date, and I love the daily/ weekly break down all in one area. It's also very user friendly when ringing up customers, once it is all organized, it's quick and efficient.

Cons

Some of the lesser used components are overly complex like the sales categories and how to make changes and groupings. Assigning comp buttons doesn't always work. I just wish that there had been more help upon set up.

Mike

Reviewed on 22/03/2023

Toast versus others

Pros

Toast is a simple to use and even easier to train POS platform for all restaurants. Setting up menus and editing are both quick and easy and can be done for multiple restaurants at the same time.

Cons

Some of the reports have a time constant that you can run them for, like 6 months, would prefer to be able to run full year sales reports or more if needed.