About Toast POS

Toast POS is a flexible system built exclusively for restaurants and the food service industry. Offering tools like online ordering, delivery, takeout, mobile app ordering, contactless payments, and e-gift card purchasing, this...

3.9
4.1
3.7

Browse Toast POS Reviews

Jeff

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Time Tracker and NCR Aloha

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

More robust and offered more scale as we grow to keep everything on one platform.

Response from Toast

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Shaz

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

The Best-In-Class Cloud POS out there!

Pros

Toast is at the cutting edge of development and understanding of their customers. Their products are always customer-centric and are light years ahead of competition!

Cons

As with any organization, fast growth means lots to update, but they are handling this well. Support could be better too.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Nobody wants to use Windows 95 UX in a year that starts with a 2.

Ethernet hardwire >>>> Wifi only
Nino

Reviewed on 12/01/2023

Toast customer service failure

It’s been horrible. I hate writing reviews to begin with. But people need to know the truth about their sales reps. Especially in the South Carolina/Georgia area. No response no follow up at all. I actually referred them another restaurant and they were bot going to give me the referral fee, until I pressed them on it. Wanted information on their marketing strategy, no response. I wanted information on several different products they offer, no response. I know Toast is popular, but I would stay away. Not from a technical standpoint, but their sales staff is not responsive at all. For the money you pay, should be much better.

Pros

The system works ok. However, response from sales rep is non existent. It just doesn’t happen. Failure to return calls emails or any sort of communication never happens. Would like to give them back all of their stuff

Cons

No response from sales reps. Take your money and disappear.

Top Toast POS Alternatives

Stuart

Easy to implement

It keeps me up to date in real time with what is happening in my restaurant.

Pros

The suite of features in the software make it easy to integrate into almost any restaurant environment. They have an excellent team to get you started and help you design your system to your specs. Email marketing and loyalty program have been great for us.

Cons

I am not very happy with the fact that we were forced to take on Toast as our payment processor! This is costing us way more in fees than my original "Interchange Plus" processing that I had through my bank. This is a little disconcerting and could add up to some major dollars in expense!

Aloha Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

NCR did not support my existing system any longer

Aloha Cloud

Cost and benefit analysis
Nathan

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Toast is best POS we have ever used!

This has hands down been the best experience with a POS company and software that I have had in over 35 years in the industry.

Pros

Functionality, ease of use, price, adaptability, continues upgrades with additions of new features, ability to request features

Cons

Customer phone service is very poor. Often get new and/or not well trained agent.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Unhappy with the features and price of Heartland. I compared over a dozen POS systems over the course of 2 months before deciding that Toast would be the perfect fit for us.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Better features, better price, and best of all it was the most all in one solution
Shayna

Reviewed on 03/01/2023

Best Decision we made in 2022

This was the best decision we made in 2022. The customer service and offerings of the platform are next to none. This is our 3rd POS system since opening 7 years ago, and I can say with confidence, it is the best of what's around.

Pros

I love how robust it is! The search bar feature at the top makes it easy to find what you are looking for in a platform that is really encompassing of any of our retail and restaurant POS needs. I also love Quick Edit and that people on the floor can make quick changes without relying on management to go into the back office.

Cons

I wish there were a mobile app that would allow me to quickly check sales instead of having to login through a browser.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Terrible customer service, nonfunctioning online ordering, terrible loyalty program.

Lightspeed POS

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

I like that they are based in Boston, close to where we are, and that there is a local rep who covers our area. The personal touch is huge.
Paulette

Best & Most Efficient POS System we have used in our 27 Years in Business

The best POS system we have ever used. It provides all the tools we need to run our small business. We will never go back and I love that you guys are constantly adding more features.

Pros

Online Ordering, reporting, ease of Menu updates, delivery by DoorDash… there is anything that I’m not impressed with.

Cons

Truly nothing… I absolutely love all the features that Toast offers

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Toast is way more technologically advanced

HungerRush

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

For a pizzeria it offered way more options… square just wasn’t as flexible with pizza combinations and delivery services
Omar

Reviewed on 02/06/2022

Customer Service is Bad. Software is ok. Just pray you don't have any issues

Software is ok. Customer service and support sucks

Pros

Ease of use. Intergrations. Overall it is a decent software. Just service and support sucks

Cons

Poor customer service. Reps don't call back or followup. Customer support is always busy with long hold times. Waiting 2 months for a refund on equipment that was returned that they charged my account for. Get run arround from customer support. Account rep never replies to emails or calls.

Square Point of Sale and NCR Aloha

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Ease of use and overall value seemed better. I would not choose again given the support and customer service issues
Kristina

Act Now!

Overall very satisfied with toast! Would recommend to any growing company!

Pros

User friendly! Customer service and software is up to current.

Cons

That it's still in the building blocks stages and it's not 100% full proof when integrated with third party deliveries. It will unarchive old data daily. One has to be very dedicated to this position to make it work!

iCloud

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

POS for multi location concessions

Pros

payment processing is fast. Easy to use, new employees training very fast. Backend is very easy to navigate

Cons

Self-manage system I find that we lack support. System needs someone that has a good working knowledge of the tech side. Backend is very easy to navigate

Valentina

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Beware of their promises

After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

Response from Toast

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

Anang

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Glad we selected this solution

Very pleased with our decision to replace our old solution with Toast.

Pros

Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution. Synchronization is almost immediate and we have seen a huge increase in online ordering already. The self service kiosk was easy to setup and has a great look and feel

Cons

Overwhelming and we have barely begun to turn on all the other features - customer loyalty, customer feedback, delivery and so on.

Revel Systems, NCR Aloha and Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Looking for increased capabilities such as kds and better customer support

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Lower TCO and features we were looking for. Also has a bigger footprint in our city

Response from Toast

Hi Anang, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you have been driving online orders with Toast Digital Ordering as well as enjoying Toast Kiosk. We hope you will soon be able to take advantage of everything Toast has to offer! Please refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/ for best practices and educational material while you get rolling.

Susan

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

systems that help deal with labor shortage

Toast has made our business easier to operate. Program it to be intuitive and supply the answers you staff need when guests ask common questions.

Pros

hand helds and their ease of use. Service staff can take care of more guests more efficiently and spend more time with the guest rather than running back and forth to the terminals to input orders.

Cons

can't think of anything at this time, it works well for us

Dave

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Toast is the only option for POS

My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros

Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.

Perity

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Best food service software and equipment

Super pleased with the ease of use and continued upgrades

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Most staff both front and back of house learn in 1 day

Cons

Customer support has always been phone support. Be nice to have a service tech do some field service after 3 or more attempts at addressing an issue.

Rescue, Aloha Cloud and Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Had reasonable prices and a local rep who met with us in person
Brenten
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Great For Restaurants

It’s a great option but geared more toward restaurants and food delivery. Amazing interface that is clean and modern!

Pros

I loved a lot of the features of this software but my favorite was the user interface. It was so sleek and modern and very straightforward to use. Lots of great features to make transactions go smooth.

Cons

I was frustrated that it is more suited for just restaurant use as I really wanted it to work for my business.

KORONA

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

I was looking for something more modern and minimalist.

SpotOn

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

I thought the interface was a lot nicer.

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

We love Toast POS!

Keeping our menus in sync with what is actually available, an easy-to-use app, and plenty of modifications to menu appearance/organization/labeling are some of our top priorities. As we have added additional locations for our business, keeping active employees and menus accurate across locations has been a learning curve, but overall the functionality of Toast between locations has been very good. We love using Toast and recommend it highly whenever we can!

Pros

This software is incredibly user friendly. Anyone can learn how to use all the functions of Toast if they're willing to go through the plentiful help articles and/or watch the videos. Toast is easy to edit, easy to organize, and the app works much better than other mobile apps we've used for our coffee shop. The reporting options are very helpful, managing active employees, time entries, and menu organization is all very simple!

Cons

If I could change anything, it would be me to make absolutely everything 100% customizable. The only complaint I've ever had with Toast is there are a few things over the years we've wanted to tailor specifically for our business and its locations, but haven't had the ability via Toast. However, there are new features being added consistently, so I have no doubts that the Toast team is committed to making the software as best as it can possibly be.

Reviewed on 04/01/2023

The Cloud is the future

I have personally, been a Toast user for over 10 years and have seen the progression and realized what a great centralized system such as toast POS can do for the operation and control of our business, providing the nuclear us for various peripheral’s they give us insight into our total operation

Pros

Toast software is updated. Constantly, I find this refreshing and knowing that new features and securities are always top of mind from the engineers, we constantly submit future requests to help provide valuable input on the usefulness in the marketplace.

Cons

Often times, toast engineers, create features are pathways to solve issues, and Toast could do a better job at leading the operators know that these features exist, and the problem-solving is built-in

Aloha Cloud, TouchBistro and SpotOn

Functionality, reliability, and features

Price features and trust
Denise

Reviewed on 06/10/2021

Great Resource for Restaurant Management

Overall happy with the product and will likely continue to be as they are forever growing, expanding, and adding in relevant new services frequently.

Pros

Toast has been a serious upgrade to our establishment. It is very user friendly and operates off a more "in the times" type of software than some other very outdated POS systems. All of their staff is friendly. The third party integrations are endless and offer something for all kinds of businesses. Online ordering and the ability to have an unofficial doordash partnership is very helpful and easy to use.

Cons

Support is not always the most efficient or informative. We often find where they simply cannot help us during odd inquiries or glitches, or we get multiple answers from different people. We also would like to see toast work on a table management and waitlist system that is actually functional for the restaurant. Currently, they offer third party table management integrations, but we have done trials with a few and none have quite what we are looking for.

Chelsea
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

One of the most user friendly POS systems!

After about a year of use, Toast has proven to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable POS systems. With it's integration with Hot Schedules, it has made scheduling and payroll tracking a breeze. Highly recommended to restaurants looking for a change in POS software!

Pros

- User friendly
- Intuitive
- Fantastic customer support
- Self updating
- Good price
- Integrated with most scheduling platforms

Cons

There's not much I dislike about Toast. With that said, it can be a bit glitchy at times. It's also a relatively new company, so some of the functions haven't quite been worked out perfectly yet.

Revel Systems

Response from Toast

Hi Chelsea, Mora from Toast here. We're so glad to hear Toast's Integrations are helping enable your restaurant to thrive! We pride ourselves in building an intuitive, easy-to-use platform. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our product.

Replied 14/01/2020
Sky

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Toast POS

Very good Despite the few technical difficulties that occur at times .

Pros

This POS system is much more advanced compared to others I have used prior. There are many options for inputting whichever items and functions are needed within your business. The overall appearance of this software is much nicer. I also enjoy how user access changes with position ranking, and verification can be implemented for certain features which helps to deter possible theft or misuse. The sales reports are also extremely thorough
. Overall, this is a great pos system for all occupancy levels.

Cons

There have a been a few issues with the connection dropping/printer not receiving orders despite our internet working fine. This has caused quite a few times of commotion due to our high volume occupancy levels which left our kitchen backed up for at least 30 minutes to an hour depending on how fast customer service could resolve the issue. Of course since it is an app it will be prone to crashes, but it is extremely inconvenient when it happens during a rush.

Lindsay

Reviewed on 06/12/2018

Not the best, not the worst

Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros

Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons

The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

Response from Toast

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

Replied 29/01/2019
Amanda

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

Does literally everything I want it to do

I was a POS technician back in the day and this is some of the best put together software I've come across. Seriously.

Pros

Like the title says, it does literally everything I want it to do. I have the options for gift cards, online and mobile ordering, and I just got the inventory management module and it's just a freaking dream.

Cons

It's got a few bugs -- one is updating the current inventory without our permission. It'll suddenly give us a heads up that it's decided that we have 4 plain bagels when we clearly have sold 3 of the 5 we received in the morning. I'm sure I've got a setting messed up in there some where that's making it do that.

Response from Toast

Hi Amanda, Mora from Toast here. We are thrilled to hear that Toast has been exceeding your expectations. Thanks for the review!

Replied 21/01/2020

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Fast, Intuitive, Easy to Use

It's been great. The last POS that we used was not nearly as efficient and easy to use on a day-to-day level. The split check options is GREAT and the credit card transaction time is much faster than with our last POS.

Pros

Easy to learn how to use. Easy to teach others how to use. And it's a great value.

Cons

The fact that it's cloud-based can be a bit of an issue if the internet goes down.

Response from Toast

Hi there, thanks for the review! Did you know that in the event of an internet disruption, Toast's Offline Mode allows you to continue to place orders, print tickets and receipts, and take credit card payments until the connection is reestablished and you are back online Learn more about Toast's Offline Mode here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880.

Replied 15/08/2019
Melissa
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 09/03/2022

Allows me to work far more efficently

Pros

The handhelds were a game-changer. Instead of running to the nearest station and waiting for other coworkers to finish, I was able to take the order at tableside.
They also reduced errors significantly. When inputting orders, all of the prompts for temperature, sides, and modifications came up automatically. This reduced the number of times that orders were inaccurate.
By doing all this in real-time while taking the guest's order, It made it possible to take a higher volume of tables, consequently raising sales and revenue. It also made it impossible to forget to ring in the order.

Cons

I'm not sure if it was software or connectivity issues, but we ended up offline a bit. The program was supposed to still send orders to stations offline, but it printed multiple copies. Although I have been around long enough to know how to take orders by hand and deliver them appropriately to support staff, the majority of our employees were much younger and did not. This caused chaos.
The handhelds needed frequent rebooting.