About Nutshell

Nutshell is an all-in-one CRM and email marketing platform that helps B2B organizations work together to win more deals. Simple enough for any user and sophisticated enough for any business, Nutshell is built for teams who are...

3.9
4.2
4.2

Browse Nutshell Reviews

Bill
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

Great Feature-set Without Complexity

I run a global consulting practice with hundreds of corporate clients and thousands of individual relationships that I manage. Nutshell lets me manage it all. It's my dashboard for everything in my company. It's entry-level rate is worth every penny.

Pros

I've used Nutshell for three separate businesses that I've run or owned. Each one considered a small to medium-sized business. Nutshell is perfectly suited to us because it's lightweight and easy to learn. It doesn't require an in-house expert on the app (like SalesForce). It's basic feature-set is all I've ever needed, and the support is terrific. Real people at the end of the phone, with fast responses. And, it's made in Michigan! It has a lot of simple customizations that I use; workflow, custom fields, leads, etc.

Cons

Integrations are somewhat limited, but still, plenty to work with. I'd like an integration to RingCentral's app. Also, it doesn't' handle subsidiary company relationships well. I've had to create a workaround with tags to help connect them.

Stacey
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

Nutshell's CRM: A Small Business Lifeline

I didn't have a business process until I started working with Nutshell. I had a pile of handwritten notes on my desk calendar and loads of sticky notes on the perimeter of my monitor. Learning my way around a CRM for the first time was intimidating, yet I was able to talk with actual humans when I got stuck, and watch tutorial videos that explained what I wanted to learn. I now put everything I need to know about a client into Nutshell, trusting the process and grateful for the customization and flexibility as my company grows.

Pros

It's designed for super easy customization for what I do, and I lean hard on this feature! I also love how the Dashboard feature is set up, allowing me to see at a glance which activities should be tackled each day, and when I've scheduled future to-dos. Nutshell's approach feels like 'the little guy' was thoughtfully considered--and that's me!

Cons

I have a tough time with my leads fields frequently reverting back to the default setting that shows all fields, not just the 4 custom ones I've created. This is more of a tech issue, not really a dislike of Nutshell in general.

nicole

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

I don't use a lot of the features, I just simply write notes about customers.

It stores information about my clients. (Though it's not easy to get or use that information later on.)

Pros

I like that's it's web based, and that it can store information about my clients. That's really about it.

Cons

I dislike very much that I cannot search using CTRL + F for stuff on a clients page. I'll have a lot to look though and I'll want to search for a specific word, say "lunch" or "meeting." I cannot search for these words. Instead it just pulls up the search bar for people. Very unuseful for a CRM....

I really hate that when I do search, it rarely finds me what I need, and almost never quickly. It's difficult to find phone numbers, if I search someone's name, it'll pull up everyone's not CLOSE to what I'm search for, but somehow not the specific person....

My daily tasks somehow get clogged by what is in the leads... perhaps there's a way around this, but I haven't found it yet. I can't really rely on tasks or to-dos with Nutshell, so I use Trello for that.

I can mostly use Nutshell for just storing stuff about my clients, and even then finding that information months later is not very easy, frustrating and not very helpful.

Response from Nutshell

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your frustrations about search. I have added this info to my product list and we will discuss it internally. We appreciate you being a Nutshell customer.

Replied 09/05/2017

Top Nutshell Alternatives

Steven

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

Fantastic small/medium-sized-biz CRM

New sales people are able to jump right in with minimal training. Workflows are customizable, and tracking prospect information is a breeze.

Pros

Nutshell has been great for our software firm as it grew from a startup to a mid-market company. Nutshell is very similar to us in age, culture, feature philosophy, etc. so I always enjoy interacting with the team. The Support (via chat and email) is excellent and they are always willing to hear new feature ideas and requests. The affordability makes it a great first CRM for new and small businesses.

Cons

Importing can sometimes result in a lot of duplicate leads, so data cleanliness becomes a bit of an issue as you grow. Reporting has some room to grow but it's not too bad right now.

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

Powerful CRM, with a slight learning curve

Nutshell helps all of our project managers and sales staff stay on the same page when either closing or nurturing leads after the point of closing. It also helps our staff manage communications and updates with leads with handy reminders letting you know to touch base with a lead every so often.

Pros

Nutshell is insanely powerful in that it can be customized to your needs pretty heavily, and has some nice features like Outlook integrations and auto-population of contact info from LinkedIn/address books.

Having all email correspondence with leads auto-entered into Nutshell is a huge time saver, and is easily our most liked feature.

Cons

The UI can be a bit cluttered/clunky at times, and the lack of a well put together mobile app makes it a pain to use on mobile devices. We found ourselves often waiting until we got to a desktop to enter/update leads, which defeats the purpose of keeping the CRM always updated.

Jason
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Easy of Use and Affordable!

Pros

Benefits of using Nutshell are it's ease of use and scheduling feature. I've found that it organizes our leads into one simple and organized system

Cons

Would like to see it integrate more into other platforms.

• Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Nutshell makes it super easy to keep track of all my Calls, Emails and notes.

It just really makes keeping track of all your important calls, emails and notes. As well as any pending activities.

Pros

Super easy to use and understand all the functions. From reminders to notes and all this program makes work life super easy and efficient.

Cons

The only issue I have with Nutshell is when you enter a name and the tag "duplicate" pops up. And 99.9 % of the time the name is no where near the same name as the one you entered.

Gary
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 08/06/2022

Equipment Manufacturer

The interaction between all users and history.

Pros

The history and contact storage along with communications.

Cons

The navigation can be somewhat cumbersome.

• Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

Does the job

It does the job. I’ve tried using other products, both paid and free, and nutshell has been my constant. I probably don’t use all the features but it helps me stay organized.

Pros

-Integrated with outlook
-new hot list feature
-unlimited leads
-easy input info

Cons

-sending emails from the program are a little spammy
-confusing how to create different lists

Riaz

Reviewed on 01/04/2020

Huge security vulnerability, inadequate support, and false advertising

Pros

Nutshell has a good UX and design, was easy to customise with their API and integrate into our software, and was easy to onboard new staff onto and train them how to use.

Cons

There is a massive security bug in the software that we have raised to their CTO multiple times but this has still not been fixed, and their team now ignores our emails. This bug allows peoples private emails to be read even if they have unsynced from Nutshell, and has been acknowledged as a bug by their tech team but we have not had this addressed. As a result, we had critically confidential business information leaked. Nutshell is also meant to include unlimited free phone calling - their CTO about a year back reached out to us to ask us to switch to a more expensive option, because they had not planned for calling volumes from our country and this subsequently pushed our costs up.

Eugene
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Good starter CRM

Consolidated location for prospects and communication history.

Pros

We explored a number of CRM solutions and initially selected Insightly after trying to get Tiger CRM working. Insightly functionality was too limiting and consequently was not being used. Our second round of trials lead us to Nutshell, which we have been using for about two years.

We found Nutshell to be reasonably robust and easy to use. We have been using it for about two years now. We have about 30,000 contacts and 11,000 companies.

Cons

We are now running into some functional issues which we have to address with addons, including Mailjet for email campaigns and Zapier for data transfer. The lack of a quoting interface, manual address entry into Quickbooks, lack of phone integration, and incomplete email integration. With the exception of QB integration, the other functions can be addressed with more addons. By the time we get done adding on the functional holes, the price becomes quite high.

The reliance on addons also means that the system becomes unwieldy; a different system, management interface, and subscription for each function.

At this time, I don't think there is a good solution for QB integration at all. This may not be significant since QB for Manufacturing is below our needs anyway. Our next step may be to use PostBooks, Xtuple, or some other MRP system that includes CRM. But, those also carry their own management burdens and costs.

Nutshell does have a reasonable email interface to send correspondence through our IMAP server, but the markup tags are cumbersome, are error prone, has no CC or BCC field, and the reply emails don't populate under the Nutshell customer(s). Consequently, only half of the conversation is visible. Of all of the above, this is the most significant limitation at this point.

Rob

Reviewed on 07/05/2017

Generally good, but with some really messy issues

Pros

We love process management with Nutshell. It helps with our initial sales/setup process, and is very customizable. Nutshell is also fairly logical in its approach to content and is visually appealing.

Cons

We find it is a little too oriented towards "pure" sales teams (we have mixed teams with product, customer service, sales, etc all done by the same groups of people).

Mostly, though, we find there are really small but highly irritating bugs or issues. For example, If I start typing a reply to a message that shows up in Nutshell and then click to show more details on the original message, my reply disappears.

Another example is that we also see some messiness in how to-dos are handled they show up in my list to-do list even though the step isn't active, or they persist after the lead is closed. Email notifications are spotty or not ideally timed. I provided feedback on this some time ago, but I don't think correcting that is particularly high on the improvements list.

A third example is that we work with a number of businesses that have different regional units Nutshell has no support for this, so it is hard to keep our companies list clean. We have lots of duplicate companies.

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

User friendly product that has helped our company grow and transcend our industry.

Nutshell allows a very small company like ours to manage all of our leads and clients in a manner that would be quite challenging without the software. We are a very unique business in a niche industry and Nutshell adapts very well to our needs.

Pros

It is pretty easy to get up to speed with the software which has been a nice feature for our organization as we've had multiple people needing to use Nutshell...the reporting and tags have been really helpful..I run a lot of custom reports and using the tag feature on a daily basis.

Cons

It has been challenging to be able to connect with support staff about a technical issue. About a year ago, I really enjoyed being able to message with support staff if I had a question..now it seems like I have to wait a day or two for an automated email reply with some links to some possibly related topics of interest.. my questions can be fairly technical and multi-faceted where either use of messaging or simply talking to another human would be more beneficial.

Reviewed on 08/07/2016

I'd like my Nutshell on a silver platter.

Have been using Nutshell over the past 2 years and looking forward to many more. Have been through some growing pains with updates, but the bugs eventually get fixed. The Support team is awesome and are always helpful and very responsive. Nutshell has taken place of my company communication which has replaced email and texting.

Pros

Love the integration with 3rd party programs like mail chimp and any other automation systems.

Cons

iOS app needs some more tweaking with being able to have the little blue bubble on activities when viewing activities from the activity menu or when viewing activities on the account info page. You only get the blue bubble if you go to the customer timeline and find the activity, or from the notifications menu. The blue bubble for conversations on activities should be available everywhere you can access an activity.

Shayne

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Good, but could use improvement

I'd say my experience overall is good. I like how simple it is to create things. They all link together smoothly. My experience with other CRM programs is that they over complicate things with too many layers. Nutshell just keeps it simple and give me what I need. It could use a few more ways of spitting out information, but as far as keeping all my information in one spot it's quite good at it. I would suggest the product for a company that needs a CRM for information tracking. I think when it comes to an organization that needs a deeper data dig, Nutshell will not be the solution for them.

Pros

It's easy to use and task tracking is simple. It helps me understand at a glance what I need to accomplish in a day. Entering data is quick, and this part of the program is quite intuitive. Customer support is really good. You're speaking with a human instead of a robot.

Cons

Reporting is quite lacking. Trying to understand data trends in some cases requires the creation of multiple reports instead of compiling it into one. It often times asks about duplicates. I'm not sure how it recognizes them, but they're often not similar at all.

Understanding interactions between an account is quite tiresome. It tracks all of the data into one place and requires some digging to determine what is relevant to the lead, contact, or company. It's all in the same place instead of into multiple swim lanes. It some times feels like you're asking it for information regarding one thing and it dumps every single interaction that may or may not include that lead/account/contact.

Bethany
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

This software is easy to use. I love that I can track every client from computer or phone.

Pros

This software is easy to use! I didn't have any clue what "CRM" was, and many of the programs I was looking at required a business background to decode the user manual. Nutshell was intuitive. Knowing how to use my I-Phone and Facebook seemed to be the only background I needed to get started! I have all my clients in Nutshell now. I track what they buy, what classes they take through our company, and what they are likely to buy next. I send e-mails to clients every time they order that are customized to tell them what to buy next. All of this was easy to set up through the Nutshell software!

Cons

The only thing I would consider adding to Nutshell is a place to list what they purchased and a place to list what training they have received (other than in notes).

Response from Nutshell

Bethany,

I'm so glad to hear that you've had such a wonderful experience with Nutshell. Our team works very hard to create an enjoyable and intuitive software experience.

Laurel

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Helpful Software

Pros

It is incredibly helpful to have so many features within one program. Nutshell is helpful to almost everyone on our team! With a quick search, the team can find contact information and see where the conversation left off. I love that there is a PandaDoc extension to help send documents in an organized & prompt manner! Reports are easy to generate and there are so many resources to help answer your questions. The provided training videos are clear & give good direction. Customer service representatives are knowledgable, kind, and personable.

Cons

Duplicates are easy to create, however the software makes up for this by creating an alert and suggesting that the information may already be in the system.

Phil

Reviewed on 21/07/2017

Easy, Flexible, Customizable and Inexpensive!

We previously used a locally-installed, server-based CRM (Goldmine), which was very functional but completely not portable. Migrating to Nutshell allows for easy remote access from anywhere an Internet connection can be found. And in this day in age, that's of the utmost importance. We also used to keep a bunch of Excel spreadsheets for sales tracking, pipeline management, and customer details, all of which have now been replaced by Nutshell's standard functionality.

Pros

Easy migration from old CRM via CSV import. Activity management and to do lists keep users organized and on task. Integrated lead tracking and metrics help guide sales reps through the sales process. Ability to link with Google Suite is a definite plus.

Cons

I would love to see Nutshell offer integrations to more third-party apps. For instance, we use Reply.io for e-mail campaigns and there is no direct connection to Nutshell. It's not a huge deal, but would be even better if Nutshell and Reply.io worked together.

Reviewed on 09/05/2017

Overall happy with product - minor improvements with interface would be nice.

Pros

Overall ease of use - simple workflows for creating historical trail of communication. Easily create categories and tags to filter contacts / companies. Flexibility of custom workflow

Cons

Floating windows that hover over content (contact info pops up when viewing company information - can be confusing what you are looking at - company info or contact info

Duplicity in creating Leads. (Assign people / name of lead / company).

Duplicity in having to "select" logged activity - when in fact you have previously logged an activity

Response from Nutshell

Hi Michael,

We are really happy to hear that you are pleased with Nutshell. Thank you for your suggestions below - I will add them to our requests list and see what we can achieve.

Many thanks,

• Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

Positive, but we under-utilise nutshells capabilities

Simple to implement. Cost effective.

Pros

Simple to use ie simpler to TRAIN reps, simpler for them to adopt. Flexibility - so one person can be attached to different products and leads and accounts. Can lift out lists for marketing easily.

You are a small responsive independent company.

Cons

There is no easy way to manage accounts. Much of our revenue comes from recurring revenues from customers. We need to be able to develop customers. So selling more product to a customer (either new products same customer or increased use of product). Nutshell doesn't allow us to manage these "accounts" very well. To do this really well you'd need to use your open APIs to tie into our accounts package.

Training and support sucks. We are on Australian time zone, and you guys are always shut when you need it. REALLY need good training programs.

Nobody has heard of nutshell! Its a well kept secret strong product.

You recently increased fees...are you trying to become another salesforce.rob.your.users or is it a 1-off?

Jacqueline
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Straightforward, no-nonsense way for us to organize our data

It made filling out the review quite easy

Pros

Great support, uncluttered, has features we need. This is the first CRM I have every used, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was pretty comfortable with starting to use it. It is fairly intuitive even for someone that is not accustomed to CRM software. They have good tutorials and training information.

Cons

Every time I get it all figured out, they make updates and I have to keep figuring it out again and sometimes it takes awhile before i understand how it all works. ON the computer, I don't have as many problems with adjusting to the changes, but it is harder when using on the phone.

Kevin

Reviewed on 07/05/2017

I've loved Nutshell so much that I now use it for 2 of my companies & recommend to our...

Internet marketing can be a long sales process. We went from closing in 120-150 days to around 21 days. Our revenues have almost doubled since implementing Nutshell 2 years ago.

Pros

Ease of use. Very straight forward. We don't need to send our salespeople to "Nutshell Camp" to learn how to use the product. Integrations are easy enough. The only thing I'd love to see is Gravity Forms (WordPress) integration. We could easily onboard more of our customers if that integration were available.

Cons

I would love to be able to share my email templates with the rest of the team. That way I could have my own, but also push new successful templates out to everyone else.

Response from Nutshell

Kevin,

I'm so glad that Nutshell has helped you and your team. We are working on expanding, as well as improving our existing, integrations so please keep an eye out for those changes!

Replied 10/05/2017
Jerome
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

Very helpful tool!

Losing track of where we are with customers/venders/sales in general was killing our company. With using Nutshell we have been able to get our sales team on track. Our sales team has a good comfort zone with Nutshell
Our experience with Nutshell has been very positive and was easy to implement!!

Pros

What I like most about Nutshell is the ease of use. From a sales team with varied computer skills (beginner to programmers) We can all be on the same page. Which is to stay involved with our customers.

Cons

The raw, raw when you get a sale.... Don't know that it is needed for an older sales staff.

Reviewed on 09/05/2017

I like the simplicity of the program

Pros

I like the timeline , but it would be great if there was a search box for the timeline. I like the simplicity of the program

Cons

You need more integration with different types of email clients not just your typical gmail. May want to look at way to start integrating with certain types of accounting softwares like quickbooks enterprise. Email campaigns.

Lastly you ios app needs work. it keeps flashing every time i'm looking for a contact, the notes sections sometimes cannot be read, its lacking some features from the desktop. I would like to see a map feature on the mobile app. I would like to for it to automatically record a call if wanted to.

Response from Nutshell

Hi John,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I am personally working on our integrations and we will have more in the not so distant future. We are aware of the mobile app and are working on it.

Thanks for being a part of the Nutshell community.

anthont
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

very easy to use and has proper storage easy to find data

the soft ware benefit are great easy storage to save all my important documents easy to save important company files. helps to organize my folders has lot of data space to store all my important information

Pros

very easy to use and has proper storage easy to find data spelling words are corrected as you work with this soft ware

Cons

nothing that I know of it is not difficult to use not to complicated dose not slow me down. I have never had any problems since I have started using this soft ware

Response from Nutshell

Anthont,

Thanks for your review, we are happy that you are part of the Nutshell community!