About Blackboard Learn

Blackboard Learn is an interactive learning management system (LMS) suitable for higher-education universities, K-12 schools, government and military programs, as well as large businesses in a variety of industries worldwide. Th...

Browse Blackboard Learn Reviews

Tanay D.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Wow..an excellent online Learning platform

Pandemic-related problems with submitting assignments and accessing information for my online and face-to-face classes. It has become increasingly apparent to me as I progress through graduate school that this site will be useful not only for my coursework, but also for group presentations and collaboration with other students.

Pros

My assignments and materials are organized in one place. As of the most recent update, it is now much easier to use than it used to be. Assigning assignments and adding details to classes has never been simpler. Now, it's much easier to use than it was before. The process of giving students feedback and organizing my responses is simple. It's also how I communicate with them. As a result, it's easy to refer back to them and remember what I said.

I also like that Blackboard integrates well with other apps. When it comes to presentations, I rely heavily on VoiceThread and Panopto. GoReact and Top Hat are also on my to-do list.

Cons

An update to the mobile app is still in order. There is a lot of work to be done on this project. On the web, the user experience was much better.

Moodle

Reasons for Choosing Blackboard Learn

I've used Moodle and Canvas, and I believe Blackboard Learn is more user-friendly and easier to use. The saying "you get what you pay for" applies to Blackboard.

CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Blackboard Learn

Student logistical challenges were addressed and resources were provided by Blackboard. It simplifies managing and improving communication with students and teachers. The whiteboard allows you to attach Microsoft Outlook, and anyone in the class can send an e-mail to the class.
Brian C.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Hannah D.

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Needs some work for organization

Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros

Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons

They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

Top Blackboard Learn Alternatives

Joel thomas B.

Reviewed on 24/11/2018

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros

As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons

While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Bethany S.

Reviewed on 07/01/2021

It's a good product

We use this for submitting time sheets and various student interactions.

Pros

If you have the support from your school's IT department, this software can be great. I've used it when working for different schools and used it as a student user. The options to personalize could be better. Some things I didn't find useful and couldn't remove from my viewing space.

Cons

Not being able to personalize options to my needs. If I don't want to see a feature on my home page I should be able to remove it completely, not just move it over.

Amy D.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Not a top-notch product

The platform is complex for teachers to use, and is not entirely user friendly for students either.

Pros

my professors can put my grades up on it so I can track them myself without bothering the professors.

Cons

Figuring out what my grade is or was and trying to access the content I have submitted has become more difficult in the last year. If I take a quiz I must take specific steps to see the results so that I can study from it for the test.

Nasira B.

Reviewed on 11/05/2018

Effective learning management system with good tech support

Pros

Announcements, quizzes, compatible with TurnItIn assignments, makes grading simple. Easy to communicate with students and provide information regarding assignments. Posting media is also simple.

Cons

Difficult to administer exams due to inability to block access to Internet during testing. Would also like a feature that allowed a simple way to drop lowest score in a category. Creating quizzes is a bit tedious as well.

Jim C.

Reviewed on 15/03/2019

Packed with features, but design can be overwhelming for a beginner

Once I got the hang out the software (which definitely took a while of frustration), the experience has been great and I have been able to customize and set up a wide variety of things on Blackboard.

Pros

The features and customization possibilities are endless - this is what makes this software truly stand out against its competitors.

Cons

The interface may have a steep learning curve, as it can be unfriendly for beginners.

Jessica M.

Reviewed on 19/07/2018

Blackboard for College

Pros

User friendly, simple, no training required, ease of attaching files, used at several colleges, and most people have experience using the software for their college needs.

Cons

Problems with uploads occasionally, but basically the format could look a little nicer. It doesn't have a lot of flaws, but in comparison, I prefer Canvas to Blackboard for college assignments and coursework.

Brian A.

Reviewed on 06/04/2018

Perfect for online courses

Pros

I'm taking online courses and my professors use Blackboard and I love it. I'm very unorganized and forgetful, Blackboard lets me know whats coming up and lets me communicate with my professors and get help.

Cons

My iPad doesn't have data so I can only log on under WiFi... I guess that's my problem though not Blackboards.

Tim L.

Reviewed on 28/06/2018

Blackboard is getting better

Pros

Quite a few people are using the LMS. Due to current uses Blackboard has changed much of their compatibly with other software.

Cons

This product could be much better. One of the major problems is how email sent through this system can not be responded to in an other email client

Mansoor N.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 05/10/2018

Great tool for schools

Pros

Very easy and simple to use interface. All classes and class related materials are very easy to mavigate.

Cons

Not sure if its a con but it is very basic and it need an interface upgrade to keep up with today’s advanced tech but I do not want to lose the its simplicity either.

Jeanette V.

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Blackboard Learn

Pros

I like that it connects to email and seems to be very organized. I can access all learning tools and assignments just by logging into one portal.

Cons

at times can be difficult to navigate around. There are a ton of things you can click on, can be easy to get lost at times.

Matilda K.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 10/01/2019

Just Fantastic. Gets the Job done for me.

Pros

Blackboard is a simple e learning solution for companies as well as students. It is easy to customize and very user friendly. Totally in love with the virtual classroom functionality as well as the certification management. Great Software.

Cons

This software like all software isn’t perfect. The mobile app seems a little sluggish. It works for me all the time so am cool e=with this software and would highly recommend.

Constance B.

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Blackboard for School

Pros

Blackboard is what most of the colleges use now a days for us online students and I believe it is fairly easy to use.

Cons

No real cons of Blackboard besides user error. Sometimes the information is inputted in incorrectly and makes the page look glitchy.

Pranamesh C.

Reviewed on 28/03/2018

Using it super-easily everyday for classes

Pros

Very simple tool. Can set notifications based on requirements (i.e., grade upload, assigment upload, etc.)

Cons

Not easy to follow up discussions regarding any assignment or project. The discussion board can be placed better.

Minh T.

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

Best for student

Pros

Everything is well organized for a student like me. I can easily see the due date of every assignment.

Cons

Sometimes it does not show my grade on it. I have to refresh a couple times to see it. But happy overall

Diego martin R.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 19/07/2021

An intuitive software

The software is amazing. I have not have any problem with it even when I have had difficulties with my internet connection.

Pros

Blackboard is one of the most easier and intuitive softwares that I have ever used. I really like it because its videoconferencing platform is really easy to use and has a very powerful tool called "Safe Assign".

Cons

The software could improve its social learning by creating an environment where all the students enrolled in a classroom could post and share any doubts, news, and even discuss about various topics.

Casey S.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Easy way to stay up-to-date on class

Pros

The messaging functionality was an efficient way to stay informed on updates about the class. I also enjoyed that all of my classes were easy to find in one place.

Cons

Sometimes the dashboard could be hard to navigate. My experience also depending greatly upon the professor of the class utilizing the software in the best way possible.

Reviewed on 19/08/2020

Needs improvement

Pros

Don’t get me wrong Blackboard is a great product. Before I had used any other LMS, I enjoyed the features and services. But once our organization switched to canvas, I realized Blackboard has some catching up to do, in terms of ease of use and integration. Blackboard can be especially buggy for students in the age of Covid who are trying to get work done in their phones. Do your research!

Cons

The Mobile app needs huge bug improvements and ease of use enhancements

Mariam A.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 18/09/2018

Great for students

Pros

Blackboard is great to use as a student. It's user-friendly and very easy to learn and navigate through. Grades and assignments are easy to view.

Cons

The site could sometimes be slow or would go down but that was very occasionally. I didn't really have any issues using it.

Hilda M.

Reviewed on 14/05/2018

Great Learning Management System

Pros

Blackboard provided a perfect and easy way to facilitate online courses, with many helpful features including discussion boards, grade breakdowns, and easy administrative tools.

Cons

My main complaint is that I think it could be prettier - it is not the most modern looking software. I also don't think they are doing anything that is particularly innovative to push them above and beyond other learning management systems.

Robert B.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Used for undergraduate schoolwork

While it got the job done, it could use some updating. I do like this better than Canvas.

Pros

I liked the option on Blackboard to view all of your grades. This would show grades for all classes at the same time rather than going into each individual class to look for grades.

Cons

There were a lot of words - it would benefit from differentiating between the classes somehow rather than just a hyperlink.

Kensei P.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Great start to online learning but can be difficult to use

Pros

The menus are clean and simple
Easy to navigate the menus, different screens and options
Saves time and energy than going to an actual classroom

Cons

It is only as good as the instructor who sets it up.
blackboard is easy to use, but if the instructor is not computer savvy (or lazy) then you can have a difficult time using the software.
Maybe blackboard is harder to set up as an instructor than it is to use as a student

Philip H.

Reviewed on 24/04/2019

Blackboard Learn was helpful to me as an adjunct professor

Pros

I like that you can both have a back-end as a professor where students can't see your work, and also an option to push things out to your students in a public-facing way.

Cons

My least favorite thing is sometimes Blackboard Learn would be down for maintenance at my university at inopportune times. But that may be less related to the software and more related to the university itself.