About Moodle

Open LMS leverages open-source software to deliver an effective and engaging online learning experience. As the largest commercial provider of highly curated, enhanced, SaaS-based versions of the world’s most widely used...

Browse Moodle Reviews

1,808 of 1,767 reviews

Reviewed on 29/08/2021

Moodle's learner-centered approach

It lets teachers restructure their classes. In this way, teachers' creativity is enhanced.

Pros

Based on the data, you may be able to restructure the learning experience for learners in various ways. Different plug-ins can be used by teachers and administrators to provide a variety of experiences to learners.

Cons

Having used Moodle for a long time, it is hard for beginners to get started again on the platform. Since I've been using it for a long time, I sometimes get confused.

Schoology

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

As Moodle is the most powerful plugin, it allows teachers to experiment. Comparing Moodle to other learning management systems, this is its strongest point.
Harshil K.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

E-learning Plus Full package of online studying

Extraordinary, learning with perfect understanding, ideation, E-learning, online learning leds to flexible learning.

Pros

I am a student of Hochschule Duesseldorf University of applied sciences. My university is on Moodle and my every second thing is operated by means of moodle. My lectures notes, attendance, research papers, books, Homework, assignments and even some times examinations with the end result everything is done on moodle platform. It is an complete platform for an university student. Every course is given a separate folder by which ease of operation is achieved. During this corona pandemic time my lectures were also done via moodle and also by other online platform but moodle is the medium of uploading the recorded lectures which is very much helpful for the teachers as well as for students. Various Forums were created by lecturers on moodle in order to have a Q/A session or a survey session by which every student can participate and can also upload their respective files. On my vision, moodle is the best learning tool I ever come through, it is simpler and better way of teaching and providing teaching materials. Also there is an Chat option by which teachers can guide there students.

Cons

Moodle can create a sudden limitation toward ones privacy as every one in the course is able to operate almost every thing which is available in the course material and forum which can be not a suitable thing for everyone. I think moodle should provide some privacy features like only xyz person can see and edit the files or works by which false marketing and copying can be avoided but it is just an suggestion from my side as in my class such a situation had arises in some previous time.

Zoom Meetings and Microsoft Teams
Vashi T.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 03/03/2018

Moodle as a student and administrator

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free!

As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users.

As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Top Moodle Alternatives

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Moodle for University Student

Overall this is very good useful e- learning platform to any students specialy in lockdowne periods like in these corona pandamic days.I is very helpful to me to do my studies continuesly and I hope it will be very helpful to you.

Pros

Moodle is a very good e- learning platform which can provide best space for education between lecturer and students.That is the best part of this E-learning platform which I like most because it provide many options and facilities to lectures and students to do their teaching and learning things very easily.Specialy on lockdowne periods like these corona pandamic days I produce grate platform to do distance learning and education.There for It was very helpful to me to doing my studies continuesly without any disturb even every lectures and university was postponed and closed.My lectures was able to continuesly upload the lecture slides and videos to the moodle and it supply every facilities for do the lecture in online.I am very happy for that because it was very easy to interact with those lectur videos and slides.It was very helpful to me.And it also give the facility to lectures to create online assignments and we are able to submit our answers to it through over our profile.There for lectures able to checkout our learning progress and moodle automatically give the marks which we achieved as soon as we submit our assignments.It was very helpful to me because I can know my marks quickly there for I can ready for my next assignment very well.I really like this platform.

Cons

Still I did not found any downgrades to this platform but I do not like to Moodle mobile application.Because I has not much of function to interact with our Moodle profile like web interface.I like if this mobile or web platform inform us any new lectures or reaching a submission due dates like alarm or reminders.it has show up some notifications but still it has not this functionality which I mention previous.When I going to submit some assignment it has some file capacity limit there for I had to face many difficulties when going to compress my submission and upload it.I thought it is better to have much more uploading capacity limit than now.

Soorya A.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Product is great but extending, deployment and customization requires

Overall we liked the features provided by Moodle but not the whole experience of setting it up as per our requirement and deployment.

Pros

Moodle comes with power packed features that any elearning company can build upon. For any modern enterprise building on EdTech and Learning/Training domain, Moodle covers most aspects of our business.

The product itself is open source which means we do not have to pay for the software. However we were not able to go much further on our own and eventfully had to hire a vendor and consultants to customize and the costs shot up drastically!

Cons

The software definitely requires technical experts/consultants who understand it's architecture and will be able to customize or extend the features/design.

We had to hire external consultants to fix a lot of issues and not a really pleasant experience for small company like ours.

Drupal

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

We considered drupal as an alternative as it's also open source and we can customize content. But it lacked a lot of in-built features like Moodle
Jim paul B.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

Moodle as a Platform for Learning Management Systems

I've been using Moodle for quite some time now, and I could say that so far, it has disappointed me. This is the solution educators are looking for to automate their teaching-related tasks. Also, it's the perfect application tool to bridge disconnected learners due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Distance learning has been made easier, more,enjoyable, and activity-filled! This is the future of education and now is the best time to start familiarizing ourselves with learning management systems. Why look for another platform when Moodle is the best. This is open education offered by Moodle making it free and accessible to all regardless of gender, age, status, or race. Keep it up, Moodle. Way to go!

Pros

Moodle has been my go-to platform in building my own offline LMS. Since I got trained about using Moodle, I started loving it especially now that it has been a big help for us teachers to tide over distance education.

I find the features and elements of this software as excellent for developing LMS. The fact that a lot of third party applications can be integrated to it makes this application tool top of the line. Teachers need this to make the teaching and learning process much more convenient and interesting.

With Moodle, teachers can make use of multimedia tools to pique the interest of students for a more meaningful and fun way of learning their lessons.

Cons

To be honest, Moodle is the best LMS software out there. It has all the things an educator needs to integrate ICT in their instruction. However, navigating through different buttons and functions can be a little tricky that anyone who's interested to build their own LMS through this platform should undergo a tedious job of studying and learning tutorials in using it. Although, for a person like me who's not so tech-savvy, I could say that once you get the hang of it, creating your own learning system will be a breeze.

To the company, you can still intensify your customer support to make your tutorial and troubleshooting services available to Moodle LMS enthusiasts to provide ease in using this great education software. Kudos!

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

From a Teaching Assistant point of view

Personally I really enjoy Moodle because it eliminates a lot of the excuses that students made in the past (losing papers, not writing stuff down). We provide them with the material and they are responsible for it. It also allows us to encourage discussion that we can then see the result of, allowing us to monitor how well students are understanding the course material.

Pros

I used Moodle from a TA point of view for university level courses. I liked it because I was able to upload powerpoint presentations, documents and other handouts for students to download on their own. This made material distribution easier because students can't lose handouts. Further, I like that students are able to refer to notes that are prepared by me, allowing them to pay more attention in the classroom, rather than madly writing everything down. Further, it allows students to interact with each other through discussion forums where they can ask questions to one another or have discussions about class content. I can monitor these and step in if students need a nudge in the right direction.

Cons

Moodle takes a bit of time to learn from the user/student perspective. They need to spend some time playing with it to figure out what tools are available and how to access different areas.

Joybelle L.

Reviewed on 16/07/2021

Moodle is a holistic E-platform

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my Moodle experience. It's not easy to use if you're a first-time user, but it's highly successful in online education, especially during this pandemic. Moodle allows you to offer an exchange space in learning activities, which can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface. You can also create private forums to stimulate online discussions or use the platform as the main interface to perform exams and assessments. I strongly suggest it as an e-learning option to course instructors and students.

Pros

Moodle is a holistic e platform that may be used in a variety of sectors. It is ideal for the education industry. This tool is also created in free software as a digital way that investigates the means to build virtual ways of quality distant education through its virtual environments; the tool is one of the most commonly utilized for such activities or tasks. One of its advantageous features is the creation of private virtual environments in which a group of students and their teacher communicate online. It is are incredibly useful since they allow me to know exactly which portions of the course are being accessed, how frequently, and whether or not they are being finished. This enables me to determine if particular course components are useful to learning or whether they need to be changed or replaced without jeopardizing student.

Cons

Moodle is not easy to use for a beginner. It is free software; however, it is difficult to build and configure for a non-technical person. It took some time for me to figure out how to use all of its capabilities and put them to good use.

Enrrique P.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

One of the best applications for instructors.

Have at hand an educational application that allows me to prepare courses and complete classes for work groups or students, where I can evaluate them and keep track of each class or team, knowing what are the strengths and weaknesses to improve the group every day.

Pros

Every professional of the instruction that has knowledge of the technologies of learning to used moodle, is par excellence one of the favorites to the hour of teaching, be it at university or professional level, this application is very flexible and complete, it allows you to create courses, evaluations, create forums, classes, upload videos and more, much more, when you need to prepare new staff or improve the resources you already have, you can always count on moodle for this task, plus it's free, but, you will need a development team to customize to suit your company.

Cons

Maybe the wide application can hinder the development for a specific task, or if you want a simple course, it can take a long time to customize for a small session where example you just need a course or evaluate something, maybe in these cases is better another option.

James D.

Reviewed on 11/08/2018

Handy, free option for learning.

It’s hard to find something bad to say about this program. After all, you’re getting so many features that other programs charge you to use. However, my experience with the lagging was frustrating, especially since I was on a deadline. If it had been only a little worse, I could have missed the deadline. Granted, while this was annoying, I have to remind myself that it is free to use. Can’t really complain.

Pros

Well, first off, it’s free! When price is important, especially for smaller schools and companies, free is always a good thing. The amount of features that Moodle has is one of the things that drew us to it in the first place. It has many features that even pay-to-use programs don’t have. It’s also so easy to use, which makes teaching new people how to use it a breeze. I like how grades can easily be uploaded and viewed. Courses are also very easy to update, with the ability to upload lecture notes, powerpoints, and tests. Very much worth the “cost.”

Cons

The program is very basic UI-wise. It could do with a little more flair, user-wise. It would also be handy to customize the pages based on courses. It would also be good to have the program email a person when they receive a message. Otherwise, it could be days before you get a message, depending on how often you log in. Also, even though it is easy to use, it is often laggy. This is frustrating, especially if you’re trying to complete a test or quiz by a certain time.

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

A cost-effective

Because it is free, my Institution (public University in Brazil) could afford to implement it to improve the quality of undergrad courses.

Pros

I am using the software for about a decade now and it improved a lot! Moodle is a very capable LMS, free and opensource, with a good number of very useful resources for teachers/instructors and leaners. There is a huge community of users and developers to get support from and share experience. Furthermore, one can get a taste of this LMS or even in deep, in-pracice, learning how to use it using free online resources, such as https://moodle.org/demo/. Although it is mainly developed for education, it can be tailored to be used as other kind of content management system, such as general websites and a plataform for team-based activities online. Worth to note, Moodle is developed with socio-constructivism philosophy, and this makes a significant difference in terms of effective improvement of the teaching and learning activities using technology resources.

Cons

Some teachers may find it a little cumbersome because of the high number of features and customization options. The interface is a little outdated and could be more intuitive and flexible. Some features requires TI expertise to be implemented and requires server-side access. Finally, upgrades (notably major ones) must be carefully planned and executed to avoid data loss.

Kristy A.

Reviewed on 11/06/2017

Moodle helps me keep all important documents my students need in one place.

Pros

Moodle makes it easy for me to distribute handouts and reading materials, and take up student work all in one place. It saves time by allowing me to load materials my students need in a daily basis. It helps students keep track of their assignments and all handouts. If a student misplaces a handout or reading materials, all they have to do is go to my Moodle site and download the documents again.
I also love how all documents students submit through Moodle have a time stamp. This helps me hold kids accountable to deadlines and keeps a record that is useful for sharing with parents during conferences.
The other feature I really like is being able to load as many documents as I want on my site and then using the hide feature to keep students from being able to see the documents until they are needed.

Cons

I haven't yet mastered how to use Moodle to give my students tests. I have tried to figure it out on my own without training, but I have not had a lot of success.

Tigran P.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 02/02/2020

Review for Moodle

Moodle is a main source that is used in my university(I am doing my Masters and working at the same time). It helps me to submit my homework and track deadlines. Although I am very good at using Moodle now, it took me a long time to get used to it.

Pros

First it is free source for students, so you do not pay anything. Second you can enroll for different types of classes just using enrollment key and this is very convenient. Besides Moodle shows you the deadline for different assignments and you can submit your university homework by using Moodle, which is very practical and easy. Also it allows you to track your GPA for each course, that you too before. Moodle recently added a group chat function, and this might be a great tool for team projects.

Cons

It is very slow. Sometimes it takes more that 1 minute in order to upload 1 Word file. This is quite embarrassing. Also it sometimes have serious technical issues and students do not have access to Moodle. Also, the interface of Moodle is not well designed and it took me a while to become familiar with it.

Virginia M.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

Easy to use and you can't beat the price

Compared to other Learning Management Software that I have used, this one is my favorite. I found it easy to learn on my own, build a course, and interact with students through Moodle. I found the email feature to be very useful when sending grades out to the students because I did not have to go back and forth from my personal email account to Moodle to look up contact information. It made assignment submissions easier too.

Pros

I used this software to teach a fully online course for a couple of years. Despite having no formal training, I found it easy to learn on my own (although I'm sure it had capabilities I never discovered). When I came to a problem I couldn't figure out through trial and error, the website usually provided the solution. I used the assignments, lesson, and quiz features the most, and found them to be straightforward, easy to set up, and versatile enough to fit my needs. The student interface is also simple to follow, and I appreciate the options to hide and reveal features automatically. I also like the metadata that Moodle collects on student usage, though I did not get to explore it or use it as much as I would have liked.

Cons

The most challenging part for me was to follow the various threads in the discussion forums, although I believe the students did not have the same problem (they were likely more tech savvy than me). While I found the grading to be easy, for the most part, I found the advanced grading options (such as rubrics) to be confusing.

Yudi T.

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Review Moodle

Moodle is an LMS that has more complete and varied features, so that lecturers can make more varied learning designs

Pros

Moodle has many features and more detailed usage settings, so that lecturers can design their lessons freely

Cons

Because the features and settings are too detailed, for beginners its use is a little more difficult.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle LMS has more features and more detailed settings
Jennifer E.

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Easy Online Learning

Overall, Moodle is super easy to use from the student perspective and appears easy for instructors to customize the feel and requirements of the classroom. It is a HUGE improvement from the previous blackboard software that was used years ago.

Pros

I love that this system is easy to navigate. Each "class" is highly customizable allowing instructors to tailor the classroom experience. Grades are easy to access and, again, instructors can customize what is displayed and when. The ability to search forums is also incredibly useful and saves you from having to go through every thread to find what you're looking for

Cons

The icons for uploading files are not optimal and slightly confusing at first. The upload feature in general could use some refining. The forums also do not work well when pasting certain formatted information that is copied from Microsoft Word. I would love to see this feature improved

Peter S.

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

Still leading solution

Using for asynchronous and, in combination with Blue Button, for synchronous online learning.

Pros

Moodle can do everything, and more, that the more expensive solutions can do at a fraction of the cost.

Cons

Moodle is designed with a technical user in mind. It's great for IT classes, it is not as good of a fit for less technical courses.

Blackboard Collaborate and CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Mainly pricing and ease of use.
Samridh S.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

Good/Average platform for Education

Pros

I used Moodle mostly throughout my Undergrad courses and it worked pretty well overall.
- Clean user friendly interface
Overall it is easy to navigate. Instructors were very well aware of how the system works to create their course pages so hardly any issues. It has a very customisable site design so every course can be adhered to the need of the students and the instructors
- Good for Media and contents
Accessing the contents on Moodle was super easy. I really like that all the multimedia and such contents were easily available at all times. Didn't require much learning curve to find where things are use them accordingly
- Has been around for a while
Moodle community is huge and it has been around for a while. It has gone through numerous updates based on various reviews and feedbacks so it has definitely gotten better. It is also open source so definitely a plus to find solutions to problems really easily.
- Integrates well and flexible
I was able to use Moodle on any platform tablet, phone, laptop very easily. It integrates very well on different modes so I really like the fact that is super flexible.

Cons

Moodle in my opinion has some drawbacks like
- It could be a little more user intuitive so one doesn't need to be super tech savvy
- Contents could be organized in much better efficient way
- Did not like at all that the history is lost after classes are done. May be it's how the instructors set it up
- Very Basic UI, nothing fancy.

Ambreen I.

Reviewed on 18/09/2021

Moodle - A Long-term Partner of Our Institute in Providing Online Education to Students

given the cost of its implementation across the platform, on remote sites too, we can live with the few cons. Our institute is likely to continue use Moodle in the future too.

Pros

Our institute has been using Moodle since a very long time for our distance learning components of educational programs. Now Covid has made these kind of softwares integral for schools. But since the faculty and the students were already familiar with Moodle, the transition has been smooth for us. Students, faculty members, instructors, tutors can collaborate through the program very easily. It is easy to mark the students’ attendance, engage them in discussion and collaborative tasks, assign them work, grade them, test their learning and progress via quizzes, and share the progress. Most importantly, students seem to enjoy getting taught through this platform.

Cons

There have been some downsides to Moodle: Co-authoring hasn’t been very easy. The Dashboard can be a quagmire to find your way around if you are new, as there are hidden features, so it means a lost time. We have to use other plug-ins for video conferences which can be a hassle.

Alison L.

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Great functionality at a great price

The ability to create a professional, functioning course at a low cost and fairly low effort.

Pros

Moodle provides all of the needed basics for conducing an online course. Learning units can be logically created and presented all at once, or released on a weekly basis or other time frame. The grade book allows you to get a snapshot of the entire class, or focus in on one assignment or one student. And of course, the price can't be beat!

Cons

Moodle can be a little clunky at times. Some grading methods allow you to include an attachment, but others don't. The scrolling function in the grade book, should have a floating header because you can't always tell what category you are in on lower rows. There are many versions of Moodle out there, and finding support and answers to questions can be difficult to obtain.

Marc B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

Happy Student

Excellent experience. I'm a more organized and happier student because of Moodle

Pros

It works just like it should! I've taken online classes for two years and have so impressed by the functionality available in Moodle. Online class can be difficult to navigate but Moodle gives you everything you need, in a way you can use it. Moodle allows me to stay up to date day to day and week by week. It also allows me to look ahead to upcoming assignments and plan my schedule accordingly.

Cons

The only time I've been frustrated by Moodle has been when the school administrators fail to leverage it with excellence. This is zero fault of Moodle and all on the school. Moodle provides an excellent environment for online class and when its used correctly, its a phenomenal tool!

Akash M.

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Great education software for effective learning

Very user friendly and easily accessible experience

Pros

This app is nice directory structure for courses and assignment allocation are also very clear.

Cons

It takes time to load most resources and sometimes fails during assignment submission.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Costly and lack of proper support
A D.

Reviewed on 25/01/2017

The evolution of learning online, provided as open source.

I have worked with Moodle for 3 years now and there is nothing that matches it's versatility for teaching and learning within an LMS platform. It is open source and aggressively managed by a large group of dedicated people worldwide. As with all open source products, there is a learning curve and sometimes difficulty with finding the information you desire about a certain aspect of the program and platform, but the quest for information is not insurmountable.
Just to reiterate, the site is open source and when you download it and use it on your own hosted server, you may customize it any way you see fit. You just have to know what your doing, or being willing to learn.
Moodle even allows you to have them host your site for free and use it for no more than 50 people.

Pros

Free, customizable, actively managed and updated, mobile friendly

Cons

Trouble finding answers to operational questions

• Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

Great software for schools to use for students classes

I used Moodle for all 4 years of college and thought it was a great software to keep classes organized.

Pros

Moodle is a great place to organize classes for students. Professors are able to make a page for their class and post grades, homework assignments, lectures, etc. Professors can also set up quizzes/test that can be taken directly on Moodle and can be graded by Moodle. This is very efficient for students to keep track of grades. As long as professors keep their Moodle page updated, it is a great way to keep up if you miss a class.

Cons

In my experience the overall grade shown by Moodle always seemed to be wrong. This may have been because the professors didn't set of the proportions correctly.

Rahul A.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 20/07/2019

Moodle as a LMS or CMS in educational Institutions

Very much satisfied with this Learning Management Platform.

Pros

1. Moodle is a completely free software that falls under General Public Licence( GPL).

2. This Learning management Platform can be customized as per the requirement of different type of users.

3. This can be configured as a course management platform so that teachers can manage an entire course by the following activities
a) Creating courses and adding course materials
b) Giving and grading assignments
c) Feed back & Survey
d) Online Test
And there had a lot of other options for course management.

4. Apart of Course management we can even configure as a small ERP system for our Institution.

5. This LMS can even compete with Google Classroom ( LMS by Google)

6. This is one of the largest LMS used across the globe.

7. Unlimited numbers of users can be enrolled.

8. Memory usage is find optimal. (Around 20 MB RAM size is only spent for a single user login)

Cons

1. A normal user without any knowledge in IT technologies find it difficult to configure the Moodle.

2. There is no emergency contact person from the developer side for software related assistance.