About Trello

Trello is a visual collaboration tool for planning tasks and projects. While commonly used by agile software development teams, the solution is also used in other departments such as marketing, sales, support and HR. The...

Browse Trello Reviews

22,347 of 22,347 reviews
Maszni
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Software to managing simple task and project

Our department really has a very good experience working with Trello and we think this is the best software to handling our daily repetitive task effectively.

Pros

Trello is the easiest and simplest project management software thus it is very suitable in managing a simple and basic project and task. The board card for the task can be labelled for its progress so i can track my task progress easily by visual. The ability to integrate it with other software like Google Drive help in sharing files in the software.

Cons

I don't really like the reminder as it constantly sending notifications to my email and it is very annoying and keeping my inbox full. Assigning task and project ownership is not as easy as it should be because when i am trying to tagging my colleague to the task, their name won't appear and need to use their nickname for their name to appear.

Reviewed on 01/01/2023

We can automate the planning and follow-up of projects

Trello has a lot of things that help the project management team to excel, as it increases our ability to control all aspects of the project, and our keenness to update tasks in the required time, in addition to that development that we added to the project databases as well as the various records, as everything has become Organized and easy to access.

Pros

Trello, with its built-in board system, gives us a comprehensive view of all project activities, colleague updates, and various alerts. I greatly appreciate Trello's different presentation capabilities, as we can choose from several distinct presentation methods that suit us, which gives us enough flexibility while performing tasks. Trello has tools to collaborate on all the details, especially when creating workflow charts, while updating tasks, and preparing reports. As for automation, it is very useful, as we were able to reflect the effect of updates on the panels directly on the work programs, which helps us to update the closing dates of projects and know the critical activities that affect the workflow automatically.

Cons

The user interface of Trello is easy to customize, and all the tools are easy to use, but some members may use the panels incorrectly, and make the updating and follow-up processes somewhat cumbersome, especially for those who work on writing long texts on them.

• Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Great for the basics, but struggles with anything more.

It helps us with quick organisational tasks, and seeing ideas laid out infront of us does help with productivity. But sometimes Trello just isn't powerful enough for actual task management and tracking, and this is a chore having to move your cards into another system all the time. It should have a pro-level tier for people who want more control over their management of the boards.

Pros

Trello is great, it's simple to use, and has loads of clever UX devices that make tracking and updating tasks a joy. We use it quite often within our organisation whenever something needs "organising fast" - we're not expecting to track the progress of the entire project through Trello, but the occasional breakout.

We've most often used Trello to round up our "ideas" phase, and then moved onto a more complex project management tool after that.

The interface is simple, the free level is "about right" and there are just enough features for you to get going quickly.

Trello is great for quick organisational tasks, that need to be presented in a visual way, or they are good for information sharing (literally a pin-board of ideas works well) - and has reduced the need for post-it-notes everywhere in the office.

Cons

There comes a point in every Trello boards life when the user will go "ok, now it's time to move this all away from Trello"

Task management is .. laborious at best, with no real way of tracking time, burndowns, productivity, velocity, or any other metric that tells a project manager if the job is "getting done", it's simply not built for that and trying to implement methods that will make it work, just result in frustration.

It's also a bit lightweight on the features for the free trial version, quite a few things are locked off behind the paywall (which is fine) - but also, we feel that there isn't *enough* features behind the paywall which would incentivise us to purchase a license.

So the bottom line with Trello is it's great for short term, simple tasks and idea sharing, but anything more heavy duty that needs to be updated regularly and it will struggle.

Top Trello Alternatives

Karrie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 19/10/2022

Trello - What would I do without you?

As a consultant, Trello helps me to keep client information organized. I am able to keep reference documents in there to access easily when needed. We use it as a team communication tool and have been able to document processes and projects to keep everything on track and on time.

Pros

Overall, I simply love Trello. I use it for every client that I work and most of them start their boards as well when they see how easy it is to use. Works as a great communication tool for the team and is a great way to document processes and flows within the organization. The ability to move cards between lists and boards allows you to really keep track of a process without getting overwhelmed.

Cons

As a Trello fan I can't really find anything that I really don't like about it

Teamwork and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Trello

The ease of use, koban boards, and ability to move cards from lists and boards
panashe
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 14/01/2023

Great Software

overall 10/10

Pros

I love how trello is easy to use as a team. It's so straightforward and has a great interface.

Cons

When a card expires, It doesn't paster you enough about it.I think more reminders should be added.

Joe

Reviewed on 14/01/2023

A lot of improvements, though a good starting tool

Pros

It's easy to use, simple to understand and intuitive when trying to complete basic functions.

Cons

The limitations are massive. Trello feels like a foundation that requires lots of add-ons to function as you would need it to.

Jamil

Reviewed on 07/12/2022

Trello Review

I am a daily user. I can use the main following my task and my deadlines. Some process is not easily flowing I use some time Notion also.

Pros

Easy to write new tasks. Follow tasks very easily. I am the main user for my tasks and deadlines.

Cons

they need to improve project timeline management. Also, improve the design.

• Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 30/01/2023

Trello

Easy to use and track the progress

Pros

Task creation and checklist feature Due date notification

Cons

nothing as currently it meets all my need

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 28/01/2023

easy-to-use project management tool

Pros

easy to use and offers a great free plan

Cons

It lacks certain sophisticated features needed for difficult assignments.

Daniela
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 15/01/2023

Simple and easy to use

I like it because of its simplicity

Pros

I like the simplicity of Trello and the fact that people can share custom templates. It is useful for teams.

Cons

I can't think of anything. Trello is a pretty good app and at a reasonable pricing

Jeff
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 09/04/2020

The Best Team Project Management Software

The training video really helps jump-start you experience and the blogs are fantastic. I share them with the team all the time. I am trying to push all of the important administrative functions of my ministry to the Trello platform for simplicity's sake.

Pros

I have a staff of volunteers which means they all have fulltime jobs and work remotely when they work for the Church. Trello is the program that we use the most. It is versatile with all of its different functions and so user friendly. I appreciate the flexibility to integrate with other programs. It makes project management a breeze!

Cons

I have yet to discover something I do not like about Trello. Lowering the price is always a win but the present rate is competitive.

Maria

Reviewed on 18/08/2020

Great product for the price

Overall, I'd recommend this product to anyone who is looking to get started on simple task tracking, especially within a team. Hoping the product will release more features, like the ones mentioned above.

Pros

I love Trello's clean and customizable UI. It makes it easy for me to track tasks and to add as many columns to indicate a task's status as needed.

Cons

Lack of features that could immensely improve the product, such as time tracking for individual projects and increased ability to collaborate with other users. Some features I wish it included are: calendar view to see deadlines for specific tasks, and dates added to comments so updates can be tracked.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Todoist only allows for basic task tracking before you have to pay. Trello has more features available and a more customizable platform.

Todoist

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Other members on my team had been using Trello, which makes for easier collaboration if I adopted it as well. I tried the free trial for monday.com and found it confusing to learn, and I had used Asana at a prior company and wasn't thrilled about using it again.
Yuri
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 28/07/2019

Trello for efficient project management

With Trello we identified our tasks priority and that helped us to increase productivity.

Pros

Trello helps to organize tasks efficiently. With Trello you can build up multiple boards in order to follow the different tasks deals. With Trello you can distribute your documents with your team. It has well integrated with the google docs which is very useful.

Cons

I wish they could add spellcheck to the software. The storage is limited which makes it hard to work on large projects. Sometimes takes time to upload a file. Also would be really pleased to get availability to work on offline mode as well.

ZenHub, Paymo and MeisterTask

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Unlike ZenHub, Trello offers better customer support with phone and email as well. Even free plan of Trello offers more than ZenHub offered free of charge.

ZenHub

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Mobile functionality, in PC deadline reminders, file encryption, etc. Trello offers a lot of functionality and better customer support.
Victor

Reviewed on 06/03/2021

The original management tool

Highly recommended must-have tool for every developer and project manager. Working with Trello can't be easier and is the natural first step for every idea and project. While you might outgrow Trello one day there is no easier way than Trello to get started. The perfect tool for starters to learn kanban style management too!

Pros

Trello has been around for a long time and is still to date one of the best tools available. It is one of the first kan-ban tools and still remains true to their identity by providing that and only that. The simplicity and instant usability are unmatched by any other software. Just write down your ideas, organize them and start working. The management and tracking are a breeze. Anytime I start something new and want to get started quickly Trello is my go-to tool. Everything is self-explanatory and streamlined. The interface is very clean and streamlined. All you have to focus on is what you want to accomplish.

Cons

Having the easiest accessible software also comes with some limitations. When it comes down to it Trello is a kanban board. It is the best at what it does and doesn't strive to do what it doesn't. So if your project develops into something bigger there will inevitably be a day when you have to find a more complete solution for team, task, and project management. Power-ups might help you stay a little longer but eventually, you might outgrow that too. However that doesn't mean leaving Trello for good, it means moving this specific project. Trello will still be ready to help you get started with your next project.

Todoist and Microsoft To Do

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello is better for planning. I still use other list software for tasks that has two states: To do and Done but if your tasks have to progress through a multi-stage workflow then Trello is the obvious choice.

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Trello, the Collaboration Giant

Trello is helping us to solve the issue of collaboration and time tracking on our projects. We can now easily see work being done by each individual and even the time they spend. It has also solved our communication challenges by automating email notifications

Pros

Trello really made our development team work better. The fact that you can line up tasks in lists and set card owners and due dates really did it for us. It is a very easy tool to use as setting up the board is just drag and drop. The vast number of power ups available also allowed us to extend its functionality and get more from the app. Another key feature that we fell in love with is the activity history that allows just a quick glance of recent board activity.Integration with our process was very easy as we follow the Agile methodology

Cons

Of the improvements that I think can be done in Trello, one critical one would be native integration with the google calendar. This will be a huge benefit for planning and logging work on the calendar. Another downside is that there is no built in functionality for reporting and a Gantt chart. These would make life easier if added.

Slack and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Trello

The simplicity of the application is what attracted us to use it.
Edo
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 16/04/2017

TRELLO- a fantastic colaborative solution for small teams

Last year I had a opportunity to start a small project in development and production of new carbon based products. Fantastic stuff, international cooperation and my role was to organize R&D.

After project started restrictions camed: low/no budget for anything outside "pure" R&D and coordination/reporting activities between R&D team - other members (national and international). Ok, we can live with that but it have to be solved in some way.

So I started to look for some team/project based solution, and after just one googling TRELLO came to the top. As a first, I was sceptic to some on-line solution (if they are not in-company solution) but after half hour working on mock project I understood all the benefits of this, new concept to me, boards.

And they are excellent. Easy to create, customize, define personal protocols, define team/sharing, history, hyperlinks,... fantastic.

Concept is simple, "old school", can be done (as it was before) with papers/documents but as on-line is unbeatable. First thing to do is to start a board. In it You can insert lists, and in lists there are cards.

Boards is group of lists, and list is group of cards. Usually lists are steps in some process, and cards are all activities that are planed. As You finish some step You just drag needed card from one to other list/step.

List can be edited and defined in several ways: members, labels, checklist (my favorite) or adding attachments (photos or links). History (called activities) is visible on te bottom so is simple to see when and who did changes in the lists.
Interesting options is to "subscribe" on the list so You get informed when new activities on the list happens.

Another thing to mention are add-ons that are not so needed but change /personalize Your work with TRELLO (for example: to include gant diagrams in lists).

Implementation was simple and easy and it helped as a lot regarding our communication and cooperation. It is one of best on-line solutions that I use averyday.

Pros

Simple old concept is redesigned to a new and modern concept. Simplicity, design, user-friendly concept,....
When I use it for my personal projects then is very usefull.
When we use it, as international team, then is important part of our job.
Simple to use, easy to learn, everything is fantastic.
There is a limits of 10 Mb for a free version. This can be solved with links to other clouds so it+s not really a problem.

Cons

Sometimes it's necessary to use external programs for some simple stuff. I would like to see more cooperation/conectivity between on-line platforms that I use.
Also, add-ons can solve some of this problems but it's not same thing.

eyamir

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

Excellent tool that allows me to take control of my personal tasks, the university and independent projects in a simple way, for example has allowed me, together with my students, to take control of each phase of the development of the systems to evaluate in class, step step by step and in that way to take better control and that each group does not consent to the status of each of their tasks to be performed. It has also facilitated the development of projects with colleagues who are physically at a distance so that in this way we can keep track of the tasks assigned to each member and the state in which they are located....

Pros

Excellent free tool for the control of projects, tasks among others, organizational and personal. What I like the most is its simple organization that allows creating boards, in which you can create different lists, and within these lists, cards. These cards change the list as they are made or pass through different lists: Tasks, in process and finished. The cards support everything: any type of documentation, images, videos, lists, comments, etc., so they also serve as an instrument of communication in working groups, about a certain topic. Tags help you organize tasks taking into account the location and / or the type of activity. For example: home, work, phone call, errands ... You can manage from an organizational project and invite employees to simple tasks, such as tasks to perform on a normal day in your home. and you can have your notifications directly in your email or cell phone, since it has an application that you can use in Android and IOS. The application allows you to organize your tasks in separate projects or folders. You can also customize the appearance of the application, for example, by choosing a different color theme. The application allows you to mark the status of your tasks; as: "active", "postponed", "completed", etc. and the best The best of all, is that you do not have to erase anything. When you want to clean up your tasks, you just have to archive them and they disappear. At any time you can see all the archived items, and make searches. Also ap

Cons

It does not allow to create repetitive work lists to be able to do "cycles" of tasks (For example: X tasks every Monday, or the repetitive tasks of each beginning of the month).

Jesse

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

Simple team task management - everything we need

Our experience has been great. We tried asana and Monday.com, which are both very good tools, but for our different use cases - team project management, content management board, idea board, etc - the simplicity of trello was what we needed and get the most benefit from.

Pros

Intuitive, straightforward interface is so easy to use. We can set up, share, move, collaborate on and complete tasks very quickly and efficiently. The background customizations are great as well. And the price can't be topped.

Cons

Nothing. We tried two others for extended periods of time that sold themselves as having more or better features, but we always came back to trello.

monday.com and Asana

Zoho Projects
Lisa
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Worth it!

I supervise a team of three HR professionals. Our biggest problem in our work execution was determining who was doing what when. I also needed to be able to follow up with them regarding items that had been referred to them for review, or even issues we discussed during our weekly one-on-one meetings. Through Trello, they are able to work on tasks and I can see their updates in the "activity" portion of the Trello card. I also get weekly and daily updates regarding tasks that are due soon. My team -- which was very skeptical about their ability to use Trello -- is very pleased and have even begun making their own boards! The use of Trello has cut down our meetings from hours to a bi-weekly stand-up call of 15 minutes.

Pros

Trello gives you great planner options on its FREE version, which is a fantastic value. Other products have free versions that are either barely functional, or have a limited time during which you can use the free version. Trello does not.

Cons

Honestly, there is really nothing that I dislike about this software. The only thing that comes close (and is not really a "con") is that there is a slight learning curve in order to leverage many of the extra features. The joy of this is that you can still use Trello with great functionality and never really miss these extra features such as the Butlers or Powerups

Manny
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

My go-to tool for simple, yet powerful task management

This used to be our teams' primary Scrum tool, and everyone was basically happy with it. When we moved to other software, we were wowed by all the built-in features of the new software at first, but eventually got dismayed by how clunky it was. Trello is the opposite. Simple, quick, responsive exactly where it counts. There are still some large areas where it could be improved, but it is still my personal go-to for task management.

Pros

The best part about Trello is how responsive it is, and across all platforms. It has the snappiest and fastest task sorting speed among all the task management software I've used and still hasn't been beat. It doesn't matter if it's on the desktop app, the web app, or the mobile app. They all work lightning-quick and all update between each other within seconds. This sounds like a simple quality-of-life feature, but this responsiveness is absolutely crucial when it comes to dumping tasks into a list, sorting them between lists, and reordering by priority - which is, to me, the core of task management.

Cons

I don't like how rigid the sizes of lists are. Sometimes I only want 2 or 3 lists filling my screen. Sometimes I want all my lists on the screen. The only way to do this is by installing some questionable plugins that may or may not be paid products, when this feature feels like it should be built-in.

Navigating between boards is not as responsive or simple as navigating between cards and between lists. Moving any items between boards is a bit of a nightmare, and I wish I could somehow drag-and-drop things between boards the same way I can do with everything else in the software.

The UI of everything other than the lists and cards is also unintuitive. There are buttons scattered everywhere across the top of the screen, and it's not clear why they are there nor what they do.

Searching for cards and list could be simplified. There are a few search bars scattered throughout the various menus and I can never remember which one is going to let me search for the card/list I'm actually after.

Volodymyr
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 07/08/2018

Exquisite Task Management Tool

Trello is a good task management tool that offers a little bit more. Overall,

Pros

Trello is a task management tool for those who want to keep things intact but don't want to get into tangled formal proceedings of Jira. Unlike aforementioned, Trello offers universal platform ready to use from the get-go.

You don't need to waste a moment to understand how to use Trello - that is probably its greatest asset. The design scheme is intuitive and there are barely ever any misunderstandings of the way how features work.

As a task management tool it is extremely streamlined and easy to operate. It is really easy to track progress and document various undergoings of a particular task. It is also very useful when it comes to drafting multiple variants of short texts - such as UI-related descriptions or Call-to-actions messages.

Also, Trello is extremely helpful in gathering research information in one place and tracking its processing by transferring through multiple boards.

On the other hand, you can use Trello as an elaborate link dump outlet during web surfing sessions. As a writer, i often find a lot of stuff that doesn't fit any category but begs to be saved for later - Trello is perfect for that kind of stuff.
It is very stimulating from a creative point of view. Random gatherings of random links often form a basis of a collage text with many unexpected developments.

Cons

If there is one thing that is majorly lacking in Trello - it might be a search feature. The way it is right now is serviceable but it is extremely clumsy and barely usable, especially if you have an ambiguous search request. If you want to find something - you better remember where you put it because search might not be that helpful.

Patrick

Reviewed on 19/09/2018

Hello Trello! You will wonder how you lived without it.

Pros

Trello is an outstanding web based project management app. Its feature rich design makes it easy to adapt to a variety of workflows and project management techniques. While Trello provides excellent documentation (which I recommend power users to read through at some point, I highly recommend that users initially go and explore on their own (yes, like the not reading the IKEA instructions exploring) to check out the features. Users will likely find many of the functions to be rather intuitive. The reason I recommend that users skip the docs at first is so that they do not form the idea that there is a “right way” to use Trello. Trello is a powerful app with an enormous amount of features; however, perhaps its greatest feature is flexibility. Users can configure a workflow that works for them to help streamline processes and complete tasks efficiently while collaborating with others and tracking progress. Trello also offers up a ton of integrations (called Power-Ups) that are available to supercharge its functionality. For example, a Google Drive Power-Up is available allowing users to take advantage of cloud storage to work with files and documents in a collaborative environment instead of relying on an endless list of email threads to move their projects along. Overall, Trello offers a powerhouse of features for all things project and task management, assignment, and tracking. It also has a worthwhile mobile app to keep you in reach of updates at all times.

Cons

Trello is an excellent app. It’s primary and possibly only drawback maybe getting users to stick with it and not give up on it prematurely as it can be overwhelming when they first set out to configure their work space and workflows.

Mariam
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

How to become much more efficient at work

I even don't know where to start, and how I use it exactly, to convey the influence of Trello on my life. But I will try. But I will try. I have several companies I operate and several fresh ideas that happen to me at least weekly. These thoughts must go someplace. They ended up in other locations before Trello, such as Samsung Notes. But it was not organized enough to properly handle everything and produce an order, much less than Trello. My thoughts were restless all over the place. I used Trello more and more in the last year, and I have developed a lot on my primary board (for my office).

Pros

The best option for groups! Easy mobility, simple plan, better than similar apps like Skype, Teams, Asana, Slack, Facebook Workplace, and others. Schedules can be used. The maximum size of connections without business class is 10 MB. - Without business class, all of the coworkers are administrators, which means that anybody may erase a board or someone else. I don't have a private informing highlight for myself. It wouldn't be too bad. It's really beneficial in terms of project management for executives. I liked that you could set cutoff timeframes and choose which cards/tasks to arrange and accomplish within the specified time frame. Whatever the case may be, all things being equal, I adore it!

Cons

Trello is a great tool, but it's restricted in terms of the projects it can manage. Trello is ideal for little tasks, but not for large ones. For example, in our firm, we would utilize the app to purchase a helicopter part from another country and then handle the freight and shipping until it was delivered. Due to the restricted storage space, attachments such as mp4 movies and other big media files cannot be posted. We occasionally want to upload movies to Trello to provide a clearer image to the Managers who will be viewing it, however this is a problem when the storage space available is restricted.

Matt

Reviewed on 06/04/2019

Trello is a great way to organize personal and/or business lists/tasks/projects.

Overall we use Trello to track our active project/job status and information and share it with our project manager who is out in the field and uses Trello on his company iPad and mobile phone. It instantly updates on all devices when we make any changes which is great since we attack a work order PDF to each project for our manager to view in the field so he knows what the job entails.

Pros

The basic version of Trello is free to use and it allows you to share your boards with 1 other user. We use a board to track jobs for our small business by making a card for each separate job. I love the simple layout and easy drag and drop option to move a card from one column to the next to track the status (we use columns such as Ready, In-progress, & Complete). The cards show very basic information to keep your Trello board (screen) streamlined and easy to view. Then when you click on a card, you get additional information such as notes, images, documents, etc. You can even type messages back and forth with whoever you share the board with and they will get an alert on their device to know they have a new message. Trello works really great on computer, tablet, and mobile. I use it regularly on each. Also, the ability to make a checklist and be able to check off items once they are complete for each project is awesome.

Cons

There isn't much to not like about it, but I do wish it had a numerical value input option that could be used to calculate a numeric value of all boards in a column (such as hours or dollar amounts). However, there are options to upgrade your Trello subscription either by paying a minimal monthly fee. Sharing Trello with other people and getting them to sign up can also earn you some free upgrades.

Nathan

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

The good, the not so good and all of Trello

Pros

Trello is an easy to use to-do list/project management app. After being introduced to it 3 years ago, its the one todo list app that I keep coming back to.

1) The intuitive design of Trello makes it easy to get started. Its functions just work, whether its drag and drop, moving cards across lists, or setting up boards, you can easily get started using Trello in minutes. Trello's simplicity aids in its overall feel and use.
2) Trello's cards & lists allow you to really go in depth with project planning. While other platforms may have to do lists of sorts, with Trello's you get a checklist for each card, which can be a task with sub tasks. The use of the boards and lists also helps for those that need deep project management features
3) Trello has some hidden gems such as free downloadable boards, a Calendar view for lists vs using the standard board view, Power Ups and easy integration with email, shortcuts and more. You can use Trello to manage projects in many different ways. I like to think of it as a Swiss Army knife for Project Management.
4) Its mostly free. Its hard to really beat free stuff and Trello is right up there. Most features can be used without paying so thats really great.

Cons

My only gripes with Trello are:
1) The lack of new features in a while. It feels like the only progress of Trello is coming from Power Ups.
2) I tend to whine a lot about mobile app support and while I feel the current versions are sufficient, but the lack of a dedicated Apple Watch app for example is a bummer. To Do list apps like Things have apps for every platform including Apple Watch.
3) Trello is great for smaller teams but if you have a large team collaborating on Trello can be cumbersome.