Paychex Flex Reviews

4.2

4.2

About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a human capital management solution that's designed using web-based modular technology and a dedicated service center to help meet the HR needs of employers of any size and industry. With a single login, users can...

4.1
4.1
3.9

Browse Paychex Flex Reviews

1,546 of 1,546 reviews
Steven R
Steven R

Reviewed on 08/06/2021

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Payroll Relief

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

ADP client support is a nightmare from our experience. From changing sales people to unreachable customer support.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We actually tried it and it was not even close to what we had hoped. Paychex customer support makes it the only choice for us.
Naomi
  • Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Paychex review, NJ

Overall it had been excellent. Paychex had been responsive to our needs

Pros

The ease of use for our sized business. We have a simple structure.

Cons

I wish i would receive emails with updates and reminders

• Industry: Medical Practice

Physician

Horrific, the took payroll from another company out of my account.

Pros

Nothing, terrible product. I was originally promised coasts would remain the same my entire life with Paychex. [sensitive content hidden] LIED!

Cons

Staff and support. Salesperson lied! [sensitive content hidden] Stated my monthly costs would “never change”

Top Paychex Flex Alternatives

Faith
  • Industry: Farming
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 25/10/2023

The customer support team for this software is so cool. Focused to assisting.

Very wide coverage of benefits. Paychex Flex is a game changer.

Pros

The customer support team really gave me an overwhelming experience. The assistance they gave at a time I was almost giving up on setting up the software was so satisfying. Ever since they assisted me, Paycheck Flex has been an easy to use software. Extremely helpful in payment management. It provides a great overview of my work and helps in creating a wonderful work environment.

Cons

Five stars worth of performance. Nothing is challenging with Paychex Flex.

Leslie
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 02/01/2024

Payroll made easy

Very good. Most customer service agents are knowledgable and helpful when needed.

Pros

Easy access and ease in creating payroll reports. Payroll is easy to complete and change.

Cons

The inability to view our company charges

Joseph
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Accountant

I have worked with Paychex for over 20 years and it is the first P/R service i reccommend to my clients.

Pros

The ease of access and understand the reports

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to get to the right party when a problem arises that is not normal.

Alex
Alex
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 04/02/2024

scam business

Our small family business was offered a flat $33/month service all inclusive by their sales rep. At the end of the year we were charged a surprise over $100 for W2 and year end reports processing. Talking to our rep led to no resolution. Talking to the manager resulted in one time credit only. The following year in 2023 they started charging $85/month until we noticed and contacted them. The new rep. (they always change) promised to look into it; in trying to follow up the answer was "I applied for an adjustment", but after several attempts to follow up she just stopped answering, no credit was issued. Eventually we quit them and received a call from their "retention specialist" who could not help with the past charges, but offered future discounts. They keep trying to process ACH payments 2 months after quitting, good we notified our bank to ignore the attempts. What a mess, would never expect this from a US based company.

Pros

nothing there to like - bad interface, terrible customer support

Cons

dishonest customer treatment, no integrity in operation

JAMES

CONTROLLER - ACCOUNTANT

Paychex Flex Very Good product and ease of use

Pros

It's ease of use and the important Payroll data available.

Cons

Sometimes too many clicks are needed toget to required data

Kimberly
  • Industry: Insurance

Satisfied Customer

Been using Paychex Flex for many years and it has been beneficial to us.

Pros

Easy to use, sometimes see a hiccup when setting up new employee - just need more practice I guess. Easy to find information and run report for the general info needed.

Cons

New employee set up is easy for the most part. Always seem to get hung up on the taxes and sending invite to employee. I do find it a little un necessary when Paychex tries to sell us work comp or other insurance products when we are an insurance agency. Maybe a flag on these types of accounts to avoid the insurance approach to an insurance agency. It is a turn off.

Liz
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 02/01/2024

Small Theater

I plan to stay with paychex forever unless there is a change in service, price or features.

Pros

Ease of use, great customer service, convenient add-ons like 401k and QSEHRA

Cons

glitches that I have reported but persist for months on end.

Aline
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 03/10/2019

One-stop shop, but not very customizable

Pros

It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons

Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

Ian

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

The Best Payroll Option Available!!

We are extremely satisfied with the services that Paychex Flex provides. We are using more features as they get rolled out, and it has helped keep our staff morale high. We really like using Paychex Flex for Payroll and HR management.

Pros

The convenience of having so many features in one place. We are able to achieve payroll and HR tasks faster than ever before. Ever since we started to use Paychex Flex employees have had less issues on their pay and benefits. The benefits are easy to access and the setup is user friendly.

Cons

There were some times they were performing maintenance on the site when we were trying to access. It can take some time to get through to support staff and you must know the specific issue you are calling about. There is lack of updates and benefits can take some time to setup for the HR manager.

Patriot Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex flex had more options and features that we were looking for. Our reason to go with it over the alternative also had to with the cost was much better priced with Paychex Flex. There was also a good relationship we built with them which helped with our decision.
Eric

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Everything we need and more

Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex offered us everything we were looking for in one package at a very affordable price.
Alan
Alan

Reviewed on 30/09/2023

PayChex is one of the best and easiest payroll programs

Payroll processing is tedious and time-consuming, but PayChex simplifies things significantly. Having a professional create and update the guidebook for you is also a huge assistance.

Pros

Payroll processing for my business can be done whenever I want, the interface is intuitive, and all employees have access to their own data for purposes of audits and tax filings. The time I used to spend on payroll and tax preparation is now mine. I was relieved to have access to Paychex reports when a PPP opportunity presented itself.

Cons

They're doing their best to improve the system, but in the meanwhile, it can be inconvenient to use while they work on it.

Emmanuel

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

Good product overall

It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros

Recording time is relatively easy.
W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable
Easy to navigate

Cons

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

This was a decision made by upper management.

Paylocity
Sheila

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Best decision we every made

They have helped me to ease up my role in the payroll process and they have set us up on five recruitment boards to help us find employees and the whole hiring process is so easy and I don't have to be so hands on through the process.

Pros

The hiring/onboarding piece is amazing.
They set us up in less than 3 days and had us doing our first payroll within a week. They sat with us through the whole payroll process from start to finish to make sure we understood it all.
The Time and attendance piece is awesome and works so well for our staff

Cons

There is nothing we don't like about Paychex. It has met our expectations and continues to do so daily.

ADP Workforce Now and Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paycor's customer service was awful and their program was not conducive to what we need as we continue to grow.

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We felt it did a better job of what we needed and wanted our HRIS system to achieve.
Timothy

Reviewed on 14/03/2023

I would rather do payroll myself than continue using Paychex

Terrible. Absolutely terrible! I will NEVER use this company again.

Pros

Every employee has their own login information

Cons

Customer support. I went through THREE account reps before deciding to find someone else, and NONE OF THEM would answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails. I finally got the retention team on the phone, who assured me that my rep's supervisor would call me on a specific day at a specific time. That phone call never happened. When I spoke with the retention department again, they informed me it was because it was the supervisors last day in that position, as he was getting a promotion. A supervisor with at least 3 team members who cannot be bothered to speak to a customer and couldn't be bothered himself got promoted.

Gusto and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

They seemed like the better choice during the onboarding process. That all changed after I ran my first payroll.
Anthony

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Many features, great value, options to expand capabilities

Paychex Flex seems to do it all: You can access all your HR forms, sick and vacation time, timesheets, if you're a manager you have access to your team, complete HR actions, and much more. The mobile app runs basically the same, although it isn't the most touch-friendly app, it gets the job done. All the features work well, and while the app isn't the most user friendly, it is more than serviceable. There are also features that would be great for our team if we used them, like integration with other HR apps, but that's more an organizational issue. We switched from a different HR app which was completely unusable, and we've been happy ever since.

Pros

It does everything we need for the organization: payroll, time clocks, tracking, coding time, HR benefits, vacation and sick time, organizational forms, etc. There are also a lot of features that we just don't use as an organization. For instance we use a scheduling app (Homebase) for some of our employees and you can integrate Paychex into Homebase to handle the payroll. We came from another system that was very clunk and difficult to use, so the simplicity of Paychex was a breath of fresh air.

Cons

The biggest issue I have, and just a disclaimer I might not be the best trained, is that employee management is time consuming. It's not super difficult, but I often have trouble finding employees on my team, checking and modifying their time, etc. Also signing forms is a bit cumbersome because you have to click around the document yourself, something more like Verisign would be very helpful when dealing with forms.

Marta

Reviewed on 07/10/2016

Paychex Flex

Procured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.

Pros

Compliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful.
While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.

Cons

Assigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that?
While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.

Heather

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Easy to use as an employee

As a user, Paychex provides an easy-to-use platform for time tracking and paycheck information. I downloaded the app but chose to stick with the website due to the straightforward nature of being able to clock in and out quickly, request PTO, and approve employee time tracking with a few clicks in a web browser.

Pros

Paychex is easy to use as an employee. Being able to clock in and out is simple - there is a button to click that records the punches. I've also used the timesheet to manually enter time, which is also straightforward. As a supervisor, seeing my direct report's timesheet is handy. To approve, it's a matter of checking a box for approval - I feel like it could not get any simpler as an end user.

Cons

While easy to use, I'm not too fond of the feature for switching between the employee (self) details and supervisor (direct report) details. A switch role function in the upper corner is not necessarily intuitive. I would love for there to be a way to have it all on the same "home" page rather than having to switch roles. While I personally do not have anything to do with the setup of Paychex, I am going to assume there are some issues from there, as our HR department seemed to have difficulty making updates to the system regularly.

Erin
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 13/10/2017

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.

Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately.

I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Candace

Reviewed on 09/04/2018

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Lot's of Payroll options but this one exceedes

Paychex has been a simple platform to use for time and attendance, payroll management and the reporting tools make it easy for side by side comparisons.

Pros

Paychex has an easy to view dashboard with customizable tiles and which allows you to tailor your experience based on your company. Time and Attendance flows easily and payroll is a breeze. The employee database makes it easy to reference start dates, end dates, pay changes and update banking on the spot. Their database of reporting makes it easy to pull report and customize based on our organization.

Cons

While we do have dedicated support on the account admin side these staff seem to change, so consistency with account managers can be a challenge at times. However, when we do work with them they are attentive and helpful in solving our issues.

Debbie
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Shenandoah
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

Out dated and impersonal

Pros

This product works fine for day-to-day activities but has failed to meet some basic requirements when anything out of the ordinary is required.

Cons

Customer service through Paychex has been very challenging for our business, which ultimately led us towards switching payroll service providers. Countless errors were made when switching contractors to employees, when terminating employees, and Paychex failed on many occasions to provide financial information and tax documents to various states we were reporting in. They were also unhelpful in providing documentation to various states and city governments while our company was dealing with past-due notices that Paychex should have been responsible for. Our account manager changed hands a number of times with no notice, often no notification, and without a clear line of communication. Overall, their lines of communication seem outdated for companies operating online and whatever 'personal touches' they may have been known for have been lost to the wayside of a digital communication age where information has the capability to be freely transmitted from one employee to another. I found myself frequently re-sending the same required documentation to multiple parties and asking the same questions time and time again which were either ignored or partially answered. Overall an incredibly disappointing experience for the years we were with them.