Paychex Flex Reviews

About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a human capital management solution that's designed using web-based modular technology and a dedicated service center to help meet the HR needs of employers of any size and industry. With a single login, users can...

4.1
3.9

Browse Paychex Flex Reviews

1,567 of 1,567 reviews
Steven R
Steven R

Reviewed on 08/06/2021

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Payroll Relief

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

ADP client support is a nightmare from our experience. From changing sales people to unreachable customer support.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We actually tried it and it was not even close to what we had hoped. Paychex customer support makes it the only choice for us.
Lillian
Lillian

Reviewed on 18/04/2023

It is very easy to use and has great support

Since then, many businesses have approached me about switching, but I still haven't found a good enough reason to abandon Paychex Flex. It's simple to use, produces excellent results, and supports my needs promptly. The direct deposit and web portal make payroll simple. It's easy to learn and adapt to the system. Timely reports can be simply integrated with other bookkeeping software.

Pros

In 2017, at the advice of our Accountant, we began using Paychex Flex. I was hesitant because I was the one who always handled payroll through our company's accounting program. But Paychex Flex is so straightforward that I can't imagine ever switching from it to some other payroll system.

Cons

The ability to write notes on an employee's paystub; for instance, a place to mention what the bonus is for when it is given; this would be helpful.

Jose

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Great for more than just clocking in

Pros

I like how easy it is to use, I can just log on and clock in without having issues.

Cons

Not much cons really to mention, its all there zero restrictions. Literally anything you want to see is there for you

Top Paychex Flex Alternatives

Donna
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 12/04/2024

Save yourself the headache

Horrible. They made my job so much harder.

Pros

Nothing. E frothing about this company made my job harder.

Cons

Hard to work with. They blow your email up daily with their side hustles. Over charge.

Kim
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/02/2024

Enjoy a five star experience with this awesome software.

It's ability to look at payroll records dating in more than two previous years made it the best choice for us Everything went well as we expected.

Pros

Use it to expand your business as it provides the best solution for any arising problem.Our payroll is now made easy and more simplified.Its a very easy to use software which doesn't take a lot of time to implement.Through paychex Flex system everything is under control.

Cons

Their customer service is a bit slow but we had to cope up with it.

Leila
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 09/08/2023

It works, but could definitely be better

Pros

It does the job, in terms of compliance and W2 preparation I have nothing to say. Their customer representatives are kind and try to do their best to help you.

Cons

Their reporting is definitely a very important feature that in Paychex Flex is not intuitive and is very limited.The way their databses are crafted, makes it hard to bulk change things correctly, and their pre-made reports have very limited information. You need to customize them and even then is hard to get the information you are looking for.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

I didn't choose Paychex Flex. It's what the company I work for uses. I wouldn't really recommend it.
Baylie
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 12/04/2024

Easy to use app and customer service is great

Great! Customer service was always kind and helpful. If it was something they couldn't fix or help with they always knew who to send me too

Pros

App on my phone is extremely convenient and easy to navigate
Never had an issue getting in touch with customer service for any reasons
The ability to look at previous paychecks is nice and paperless is great!
My managers always said it was the easiest way to keep track of all the employees

Cons

I have no cons regarding Paychex Flex! I reccommend to any business with multiple employees!

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 19/04/2024

Effortless, Excellent choice!

Pros

Payroll, benefits and time tracking in one place
Customizable and very efficient, all-in-one solution.

Cons

All good so farm no cons with Paychex system.

Lais
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 16/05/2024

A Place where you find it all

Paychex Flex is extremely user friendly. As soon as I login I am presented with a dashboard that displays my pay stubs, W-2s, 401K, the health benefits that I elected. It's great not to have to access the HR team to request such data. It gives me independence and makes my life so much easier.

Pros

The fact that I can easily access my pay stubs, W-2s, and all other financial records on a dashboard that contains it all.

Cons

Sometimes Paychex Flex account managers make mistakes. But that is more related to human error than a software issue.

Cameron
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

everything in one but could have more customisation

Pros

good payroll features and its easy to use

Cons

could do with more customisation possibilities

Cody
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Streamlined and Simplified Payroll Processing and Ancillary HR Services

Thus far, the experience has been positive and meets all needs of the company. Tax compliance, W-2s, time keeping, and benefits admin all went smoothly through a full annual cycle. The customer service response times are within a reasonable range, and the mobile app surprisingly is very useful due to the simplicity of the overall platform. Employees can also self-serve make a certain number of changes to things like addresses or banking info without the need for an HR team member to service such requests.

Pros

The ease of onboarding and implementation (compared to ADP, for example), as well as the streamlined processes that allow for staff who may not be payroll professionals to accurately run payroll & benefits to a high degree of efficiency.

Cons

The functionality for contractors isn't as great as some other providers I've used in the past (PayReel, for instance). Additionally, the level of sophistication for tax issue or researching problems from state notices, etc. isn't the best I've seen though it is certainly adequate.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Cheaper and more streamlined solution for a smaller company that may not require dedicated payroll teams and a very high level of white-glove service.

Dayforce HCM

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Presented the clearest and best use case for a small to mid-size company which a mix of hourly and salaried staff. Also not having a dedicated payroll expert on the team necessitated a platform that is easy to use and does not have a steep learning curve (ADP, for instance).
Ian

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

The Best Payroll Option Available!!

We are extremely satisfied with the services that Paychex Flex provides. We are using more features as they get rolled out, and it has helped keep our staff morale high. We really like using Paychex Flex for Payroll and HR management.

Pros

The convenience of having so many features in one place. We are able to achieve payroll and HR tasks faster than ever before. Ever since we started to use Paychex Flex employees have had less issues on their pay and benefits. The benefits are easy to access and the setup is user friendly.

Cons

There were some times they were performing maintenance on the site when we were trying to access. It can take some time to get through to support staff and you must know the specific issue you are calling about. There is lack of updates and benefits can take some time to setup for the HR manager.

Patriot Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex flex had more options and features that we were looking for. Our reason to go with it over the alternative also had to with the cost was much better priced with Paychex Flex. There was also a good relationship we built with them which helped with our decision.
Eric

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Everything we need and more

Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex offered us everything we were looking for in one package at a very affordable price.
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 12/11/2021

Sold on features that never worked correctly

Previously, our payroll was completed in house. We were sold on Paychex being a one-stop shop that would save us time and have everything flow seamlessly in one system. Unfortunately, that never happened. We had issues with the payroll implementation that were never actually resolved. We switched to Paychex for employee insurance, and spent over six months trying to correct the errors.

Pros

I enjoyed the ease of using the software and report options.

Cons

Our biggest issue with the software was based on the needs of our company. As a non-profit we have multiple funding streams in which employees may work. After communicating with the payroll implementation team, we set up the system as advised. Several months after we went live, the inaccurate setup caused errors in our general ledger reports, and I personally had to key journal entries of over 1,000 lines bi-weekly just to get the information accurately recorded in our general ledger software. This added one to two days of work onto my already hectic schedule. When we asked to change the setup, we were told that it would take too much time and wouldn't be possible, even though we were paying thousands of dollars a month for this service.

Proliant and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We were sold on a seamless system that never did work accurately.
Faith
  • Industry: Farming
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 25/10/2023

The customer support team for this software is so cool. Focused to assisting.

Very wide coverage of benefits. Paychex Flex is a game changer.

Pros

The customer support team really gave me an overwhelming experience. The assistance they gave at a time I was almost giving up on setting up the software was so satisfying. Ever since they assisted me, Paycheck Flex has been an easy to use software. Extremely helpful in payment management. It provides a great overview of my work and helps in creating a wonderful work environment.

Cons

Five stars worth of performance. Nothing is challenging with Paychex Flex.

Terri
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Paychex Flex Great for small organizations

The overall experience has been positive.

Pros

The time tracking feature is helpful to small companies who use the "honor" system as their time tracker

Cons

I think the software would benefit by being a little more user friendly

Paycom

Time tracker, benefits

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paycom didn't return our requests to learn about their product.
Julie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

The Worst Payroll Company Out There!

I have been running payroll and in HR for over 17 years so have used many payroll services and Paychex is the absolute WORST - can't wait to switch. Overpriced and you have to do everything yourself including coding their system. Nothing works right once you do (no notifications, biometric time clocks don't record punches, CA payroll laws like 7th day OT never coded) it's truly a complete joke of a company. "Account Manager" does not actually do anything but tell you to call the 877 customer service number and they are beyond ignorant and unhelpful.

Cons

Customer service - The worst
Assigned Account Manager - Does nothing but tell you to call Cust Service (see above)
Helpfulness - None
Expensive - YES
Knowledgeable - None
Compliant - Nope, set up CA payroll laws all wrong
Ease of system use - terrible, you need to coded everything yourself
Over selling - the best (how about fix your basic customer service and functionality before you continually try and up sell)

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

My company was oversold on this junk company and platform before I got here.
Sheila
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Best decision we every made

They have helped me to ease up my role in the payroll process and they have set us up on five recruitment boards to help us find employees and the whole hiring process is so easy and I don't have to be so hands on through the process.

Pros

The hiring/onboarding piece is amazing.
They set us up in less than 3 days and had us doing our first payroll within a week. They sat with us through the whole payroll process from start to finish to make sure we understood it all.
The Time and attendance piece is awesome and works so well for our staff

Cons

There is nothing we don't like about Paychex. It has met our expectations and continues to do so daily.

ADP Workforce Now and Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paycor's customer service was awful and their program was not conducive to what we need as we continue to grow.

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We felt it did a better job of what we needed and wanted our HRIS system to achieve.
Timothy

Reviewed on 14/03/2023

I would rather do payroll myself than continue using Paychex

Terrible. Absolutely terrible! I will NEVER use this company again.

Pros

Every employee has their own login information

Cons

Customer support. I went through THREE account reps before deciding to find someone else, and NONE OF THEM would answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails. I finally got the retention team on the phone, who assured me that my rep's supervisor would call me on a specific day at a specific time. That phone call never happened. When I spoke with the retention department again, they informed me it was because it was the supervisors last day in that position, as he was getting a promotion. A supervisor with at least 3 team members who cannot be bothered to speak to a customer and couldn't be bothered himself got promoted.

Gusto and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

They seemed like the better choice during the onboarding process. That all changed after I ran my first payroll.
Martin

Reviewed on 09/05/2023

Comprehensive HR Solution with Some Room for Improvement

While there is room for improvement, Paychex Flex has been a valuable asset in managing my company's HR needs. The comprehensive features and modular design have saved me significant time and effort, allowing me to focus on growing my business. I look forward to future enhancements to the platform.

Pros

As a business owner, I appreciate how Paychex Flex simplifies HR management. The platform's all-in-one approach makes it easy to oversee payroll, recruitment, and employee information. The mobile app is particularly useful, enabling me to handle essential tasks even when I'm away from the office.

Cons

Despite its shortcomings, I believe Paychex Flex is a valuable tool for managing HR tasks. The modular design and comprehensive feature set have saved me a lot of time and effort. However, I do hope they will continue to refine the user experience and address the occasional technical issues.

Jessica
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

User Friendly

I love that Paychex Flex is very user friendly.

Pros

I use Paychex Flex to clock in and out daily, check my time card, request time off and for retreiving an W2. I love that this portal is very user friendly. Nothing is hidden. You can easily find what you are looking for using the tabs on the side. You can also customize your home screen to display what you are needed. As soon as I login in I'm able to clock in and out, view how many hours of PTO I have as well as paystubs.

Cons

I would improve being able to have more widgets in the home screen so you are able to see your time card and attendance right on your home screen. It would be easier to track.

Candace

Reviewed on 09/04/2018

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Lot's of Payroll options but this one exceedes

Paychex has been a simple platform to use for time and attendance, payroll management and the reporting tools make it easy for side by side comparisons.

Pros

Paychex has an easy to view dashboard with customizable tiles and which allows you to tailor your experience based on your company. Time and Attendance flows easily and payroll is a breeze. The employee database makes it easy to reference start dates, end dates, pay changes and update banking on the spot. Their database of reporting makes it easy to pull report and customize based on our organization.

Cons

While we do have dedicated support on the account admin side these staff seem to change, so consistency with account managers can be a challenge at times. However, when we do work with them they are attentive and helpful in solving our issues.

Debbie
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Shenandoah
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

Out dated and impersonal

Pros

This product works fine for day-to-day activities but has failed to meet some basic requirements when anything out of the ordinary is required.

Cons

Customer service through Paychex has been very challenging for our business, which ultimately led us towards switching payroll service providers. Countless errors were made when switching contractors to employees, when terminating employees, and Paychex failed on many occasions to provide financial information and tax documents to various states we were reporting in. They were also unhelpful in providing documentation to various states and city governments while our company was dealing with past-due notices that Paychex should have been responsible for. Our account manager changed hands a number of times with no notice, often no notification, and without a clear line of communication. Overall, their lines of communication seem outdated for companies operating online and whatever 'personal touches' they may have been known for have been lost to the wayside of a digital communication age where information has the capability to be freely transmitted from one employee to another. I found myself frequently re-sending the same required documentation to multiple parties and asking the same questions time and time again which were either ignored or partially answered. Overall an incredibly disappointing experience for the years we were with them.