About OnPay

OnPay is a cloud-based payroll solution that helps small businesses automate tax filing and payment workflows. Key features include employee self-onboarding, new hire reporting, automated payroll taxations and scheduled pay...

4.9
4.7
4.8
4.8

Browse OnPay Reviews

Kevin

Reviewed on 03/06/2020

Everything you need it to be an more

OnPay has worked seamlessly for us. I would highly recommend.

Pros

Very easy to setup and use for a small business. If you need help, support is great to deal with.

Cons

Integrations with quick books are good, but lack some of the features you get with payroll through quickbooks.

QuickBooks Payroll
Myron
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

The best payroll service available!

We've had state tax issues that OnPay has navigated us through, and every issue we've had, they've quickly replied and resolved the matter.

Pros

OnPay is easy to use, and our employees love how easy they can manage their profiles.

Cons

The only thing we wish that OnPay did was automatically deduct payroll. Other than that, it's an excellent product, with outstanding customer service.

PayPal and Paycom

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

The lack of customer service, and the extremely high costs.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

OnPay offered us the most comprehensive package, and they've proven themselves time and again with customer service.
Kimberly

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

Very Professional Software Company

Pros

I like it when people call me back and help me with issues that arise

Cons

I would rather deal with an actual person versus them sending me links to diagnose problems.

Top OnPay Alternatives

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

Going down hill fast

They used to be good. I have been them for 3-4 years

Customer service knew what they are doing, there were not glitches, basically hassle free payroll. Starting September or October, we started having issues here and there. First features would get added ( and we start using them ) and then disappear. Taxes are not being filed on time or at all ( I have called them, talked to them on the phone about this multiple times ) . Integrations appear and disappear and i have to keep syncing things. Have to map quickbook chart of accounts again for every payroll item. It's been a NIGHTMARE. It's literally a nightmare. I am looking at other companies and now willing to pay more.
The function to upload payroll data comes and disappears right before the payroll and then it takes one day to add it and then again it disappears

We have a collection notice from our state because of these guys. Every time, i message them / email them, either they don't respond or when i talk to them on the phone they act like i am a dumb.

They are terrible.

Pros

Cheaper price than many but I would rather pay more for a job to get done well.

Cons

on collection notice from state dep of rev because of them
Non responsive Customer service ( someone will talk to you but don't get things done )
Customer service not knowledgeable ( gave me wrong information several times )
Glitch y integrations with other platforms ( you can only use WhenIWork )
Glitch y software in general
Features appearing and disappearing

Response from OnPay

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a better experience. Though tax mistakes are uncommon, when a tax notice does happen our Customer Experience team is here to help resolve everything. We'd be happy to look into the issues you mention and make sure everything runs smoothly. We have also expanded our integration offerings, which may be of interest. If you message us your company name or email, we'll reach out to help!

Replied 23/01/2020
Dick
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

It Works For Me

Well worth the money to relieve my having to do payroll in our accounting program.

Pros

Once it was set up, it's been easy to use. I've only had to contact customer service a couple of times about changing my password or end-of-year planning.

Cons

So far nothing. My previous provider was every pay period being on the phone for over an hour to resolve the same issues.

Reviewed on 06/06/2022

Beats all the other platforms for Accountants

Overall it has been amazing compared to where we have come from. Patriot, Accountants World, Intuit are nightmares. Even Gusto doesn’t care about their partners like this company. Thank you OnPay. We will be sticking with you as we grow.

Pros

They actually care about doing what they say they will do and professionalism. This is a strong contender for Accounting professionals. In fact, the best experience we have had. There are many out there that will make you pull your hair out. This company has incredible support staff and they really care about their partnerships.

Cons

Wish they would integrate co-branding more into their service for their partners.

Wish they would integrate with more time keeping platforms.

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

Because we needed a platform that wasn’t a nightmare and one that actually followed through on a great product and service.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Professionalism was top notch and they care about improving their product and they care about their partners!

Reviewed on 27/05/2020

Great Product, Responsive Service

As a small company, OnPay was very easy to set up and reliably delivers for us for onboarding, payroll, etc. They've always been extremely supportive and responsive, and they stepped up their game during COVID by making all of the PPP reporting and application materials available on the front screen.

Pros

OnPay makes it very easy to onboard and serve our staff. The reporting functions are well put together, and provided us with everything we need for banking, finance, etc.

Cons

My only complaint about OnPay is that the UIUX isn't quite as sleek as some of the other competitors, but the ease of use and features are all on target.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

They were just too expensive, and not helpful with what we needed to do.

The UI was superior.
Pamela
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 17/07/2022

Great payroll company

Everything has been great with Onpay. Service is wonderful and quick communication back for questions

Pros

I love how easy it is to onboard new employees and move around the site

Cons

Learning the integration and mapping of quick books and Onpay.

Doug
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 24/05/2022

OnPay works the way an online payroll system should

My overall experience has been excellent, and its consistently accurate and smooth functioning has given me a very high level of confidence that I have no worries about payroll issues.

Pros

Processing varied payrolls has been a breeze, including special payments and withholdings. Ease and speed of use is key, matched by the simple fact that it works the way you hope it would work.

Cons

Occasionally, follow-up on a customer service issue has been slow. E.g., follow up on tax deposit notices.

Amy
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 26/03/2022

Great for farmers

Pros

Customer service is fantastic! They helped answer all my questions during set-up and are quick to respond.

Cons

I really haven’t found anything I dislike about OnPay.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Square Payroll

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Onpay offered the products we needed and at a very reasonable price.
Kenton
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

Easy to use and great value

We have had a good experience with OnPay. There are very few issues or errors and, when there are issues, the OnPay team has solved them in an expedient manner. Over the years we have realized significant cost savings due to the ease of use of OnPay. General business or managerial staff can easily run the system instead of paying a service or hiring a payroll professional to manage payroll for larger groups.

Pros

OnPay is easy to use with an intuitive interface. It was a good product for a small company of just a couple people and it has continued to work for us as we approach 20 people. It is also reasonably priced and does not overwhelm users and administrators with too much complexity.

Cons

The thing we like least about OnPay is the way paid time off (PTO) accrual growth is calculated. We grow PTO accrual every year of employment up to 20 years and that requires employees to be moved into new PTO growth categories every three years. We could just choose to do our PTO differently, but we wish OnPay had the PTO growth flexibility to accommodate our preferred methods.

Joan
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 05/07/2020

Time-saver!

Doing payroll now takes minutes instead of hours! The program pays for itself, not only in time saved, but due to less expense from the accounting firm.

Pros

All I have to do is enter the hours, overtime, and any bonuses- - -all the calculations are done automatically. It is a relief not to have to calculate the withholdings, write the checks, figure out how much to pay the state and federal government, then pay it. As our staff grew, I didn't have time to spend on payroll, then had to pay my accountant to double-check everything. OnPay takes care of everything! I am not very computer-savvy, so it was nice to be able to get assistance from their friendly service people. Now I can figure out most things on my own!

Cons

Sometimes new employees miss the part about setting up direct payment into their accounts. It must not be obvious, because about 1 out of 3 will miss it.
Getting set up was fairly easy. They took the information from my old system (which was mostly "by hand" and converted it easily. When I didn't understand something, their customer service was able to talk me through it.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

OnPay seemed more user-friendly and actually cost less as well.
BR
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

New User, happy so far

Excellent.

Pros

The OnPay customer service has been excellent since the first call I had with them. The help transferring our information from a big, clunky payroll platform to getting it to the streamlined & easy to use OnPay platform was seamless. The communication, information, help & kindness shown throughout the process has been a real change from our last experience. The response time is super quick too!

Cons

So far it is not as robust as the last platform so I am missing some features (specifically benefits enrollment). I'm still a new user and am just diving into the reports now.

Silvia
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

Super easy and very modestly priced

I'm primarily a web designer, who was thrust into the role of administrator as well. I have trouble with paperwork, and OnPay has been a lifesaver. It's extremely easy to set up and use, and once set up, most features are automatic. Reports are easy to create and review as well, great for end-of-the-year admin and taxes, and reminders keep me on track.

Pros

Ease of use, automation and reminders. I love the fact that they take care of payroll reporting and tax obligations. Entering new employees is a breeze, and so is running the payroll.

Cons

After several years of use, I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with this service.

Heather
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Very Easy to Use and Very Reliable

Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Pros

I love using this payroll software. The price is very reasonable, running weekly payroll is simple. Finding reports that I need is super easy.

Cons

Sometimes the employee profiles are difficult to navigate in order to look up or update info. It's not something that is prohibitive to the use overall though.

Emir

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

OnPay is the one and only outstanding payroll software

OnPay is a great payroll software that offers great support to its users. With the help of this tool, you can easily call, chat, and even email. Moving on to the usability of this software, I think that there is a slight learning curve when it comes to payroll functionality but still thanks to my team because they helped me efficiently walk through the process.

Pros

Onpay is really easy to use plus printing reports and even deriving employee information is quite easy. It is one of the most efficient and effective payroll software that we have been using all across our organization. This software has easily enabled us to categorize different departments of our organization in an easy and hassle-free way. The tool is really quick in terms of responsiveness which I really admire. Onpay has always been really helpful throughout we have been a customer. All our payroll-related queries are resolved with OnPay. All in all, this is one of my essential products for our company.

Cons

OnPay is providing excellent services. I have not faced any big issues while using this payroll program.

Tiffany
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Great Payroll Company

OnPay has been so helpful throughout the time that we've been a customer. They've gone above and beyond to support us when we make a mistake and need instant support. The software is easy to use and very intuitive. We appreciate the partnership and look forward to growing together.

Pros

OnPay is so easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to implement. it makes quick work of payroll.

Cons

I would love to see them add an option to upload an excel payroll file instead of hand entry.

Steve
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 30/11/2019

Simple Payroll

When I was starting up on OnPay, I had a couple of questions. I used their customer service and received instant help. They've been very easy to work with.

Pros

This software is one of the easiest to setup and use. All taxes are handled for me. W-2's are created and mailed. Simple, simple simple. The best part about OnPay is that I don't need to do any paperwork. I just enter the hours and print the checks.

Cons

The only con I have is in setting up a new employee. It forces me to use the federal minimum wage if the person is an hourly employee. Because our employees receive tips, we pay less than the minimum wage. That forces me to create another payment option and to make sure I don't accidentally use the default.

Zenefits, Paychex Flex, RUN Powered by ADP and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Price and easy of setup and use.
Dotti
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

Since 2013

It’s been a challenge and a satisfying one. Just when I think I’ve used all that OnPay has to offer, I discover another service to integrate into my shortcuts and improve information availability.

Pros

OnPay has evolved over the years with new versions and added more services. The more I have seen upgrades the more I love OnPay. HR integrations, time management, workers compensation, benefits, and more. I love the challenge to incorporate and enhance new reports and learn the value of OnPay’s intentions for their customers. I also appreciate their support staff. They are well trained and friendly and professional with good attitudes.

Cons

I had a learning curve to go thru like any one might. The support staff was helpful but I wasn’t feeling very confident. It wasn’t long before I understood more & more about their trajectory with the software. I grabbed that knowledge and searched for more that was availability. I’m still on that path and still learning more and more.

Donna
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 24/08/2021

OnPay is GREAT for companies who need the basics.

Pretty good! We were bummed to find out we couldn't use it for our Time-off tracking, though.

Pros

Very easy to use, inexpensive, GREAT customer support, easy for employees to use.

Cons

Definitely would be useful if you could modify the time-off tracking a bit more.

Cost, Ease of use.

Cost
Horton

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Great Value in my opinion.

OnPay is a great company to work with. Representatives reached out to me very early on to help me with any questions that I had and even to offer to do as much of the onboarding process as I would like for them to do. They have continued to reach out to ensure that everything is going as planned and to make sure any new questions I might have are answered and addressed.

Pros

This is incredibly easy to set up and manage. The team at OnPay will even do as much of the work as you would like onboarding at no additional cost to you.

Cons

The only things that I have run across so far is that it would be quite nice to be able to see an employees length of time with the company in their profile. Their hire date is there so it should be easy to calculate and display alongside that hire date.

The second thing I would like to see improved is the creation of time off calculations. That section was a little confusing during set up and still does not seem to be working perfectly yet for us.

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 25/04/2022

Ideal for smaller businesses

OnPay allows us to provide timely direct deposit payroll and 1099 payments and not have to worry about tax payments.

Pros

As a small business, we don't have a lot of time to work on payroll and to make sure that everything is up to date and compliant. OnPay makes the process easy and affordable. Working with a payroll company in the beginning for the first time, we always got timely answers to our questions, even later on down the road when we had a few unique problems we couldn't figure out. Nine out of ten times the FAQs have an answer but when they don't we have always been able to get timely assistance. The program is very flexible to adjust to seemingly any need.

Cons

After a couple of years I can honestly say that I can't think of any cons.

JONATHAN
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 03/02/2020

Very Pleased with OnPay

All good. I would (and have) recommend OnPay.

Pros

OnPay seems to be a great payroll provider for me and my business. I am a small shop (solo attorney), so cost is a concern as well as accuracy and reliability in my payroll and tax filings. OnPay has not disappointed me. Their customer service team has been able to deal promptly with the few issues that have arisen and has adapted to my local taxing bureau. Their service reps have been available for prompt responses to my inquiries no matter how small.
Bringing on new employees is pretty seamless as is generating year-end or quarterly reports as needed.

Cons

I don't like the auto-reply that says they've received my email and they'll reply. Kind of annoying. Also, the two day float for ACH debits is a bit of a lag, but I understand why they must do it.

CORISSA

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

More bang for your buck

Pros

Easy to set up and transfer employee and company info from previous payroll service providers. I like that the tax filing service is already included in the cost. I'm paying $680 a year for Intuit payroll and I have to file all the taxes for my clients. OnPay is roughly $480 a year and everything is done for you and you get much better customer service. I am telling all my new and existing clients about OnPay!

Cons

The biggest downfall so far is linking payroll to intuit QuickBooks for the payroll data entry. I also dislike their emailing strings; there are several people engaging in your email string and it gets a little confusing and is easy to overlook an email. Lastly, OnPay should offer a referrals program!!

Sylvie
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

A must for any size business when starting your Payroll or HR department

I have had many interactions with Onpay employees. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. It is a company that is reachable when you are working on payroll. If you are afraid of making a mistake they are here to assist.

Pros

It was very easy to set up as a first time small business owner. It only took few hours to do the initial set up but I was able to have direct deposit done for my first employee on the payroll day. Now Onpay offers more HR features than it did 5 years ago. My recommendation to a new business owner, is to take advantage of that function or feature at the beginning of the set up and allow a little more time to get it done correctly.

Cons

When they are changes, features are moved around and it is hard to find them but with Chat, it is easy to get someone to help you right away. I do not see any negatives apart from that.