Microsoft Excel Reviews

4.8

4.8

About Microsoft Excel

Microsoft Excel is a productivity solution that helps businesses of all sizes create spreadsheets to organize data and perform calculations. The platform enables managers to format and present data in charts, graphs, sparklines,...

4.7

Browse Microsoft Excel Reviews

18,948 of 18,948 reviews
Karen May
Karen May

Reviewed on 01/11/2020

Excel is still the most reliable spreadsheet and vital business tool for every organization

Excel is a great tool for users who work on large amounts of data and can handle complex calculations with 100% accuracy. It allows you to create pivot tables, sort, retrieve and analyze data, perform macros in VBA, build charts, tables, and many more features in a breeze! As an Accountant by profession, Excel has always been my best buddy throughout my career progression up until now and it never ceases to amaze me about the powerful features that I’ve yet to discover and utilize for more productivity and efficiency in my work.

My top favorite Excel features are the following:
- Scalable formula and calculation functions (IF, SUMIF, VLOOKUP, INDEX-MATCH, etc.): Excel allows you to extend the formula up, down, across the spreadsheet. You just need to create the formula once in one cell and Excel will help you to populate the formula in the designated rows/columns in your report.
- Excel shortcut keys: it dramatically increases my productivity by using these tricks. It makes you look like a Pro and believe me, anyone will get intimidated when they see you typing so fast without using any mouse!
- Conditional formatting: it makes your data more sophisticated and visually appealing to the users of the information.
- Pivot tables: works like a magic when reviewing hundreds of thousands or even millions of data in one spreadsheet.
- Paste special: copy+paste from one source to your spreadsheet with options of maintaining the formatting, value, comments, or even formula.

Pros

- Able to organize voluminous data into orderly, logical spreadsheets and charts
- Allows simple to complex formula and calculations quickly regardless of the amount of data
- Microsoft Office and Google sheet integration

Cons

- Learning curve; it takes a lot of practice and training in order to advance your Excel skills.
- Calculation errors; Excel will never know whether the data you inputted is correct or not.
- Expensive cost of entry; Google sheets is free

mohammed
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 24/06/2024

Advantages and disadvantages of the program

It was a very easy and comfortable experience to use, and I still use it in my daily work on an ongoing basis, and I recommend it to all my friends.

Pros

The program is very easy and convenient for entering data and very easy for facilitating the work of banks and companies and preparing graduation projects for students. As for schools, it is used to announce students’ results.

Cons

The worst thing about the program is that it is limited in speed, it is very difficult to recover deleted files easily, and it is difficult to enter the serial number product key.

Nathan
Nathan
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Well, it's an option

A tolerant level of frustration, like accepting your parents or siblings because they're your only family, but they irritate you to no end. It's there and it's all you got because Google cloud apps are blocked by your law firm.

Pros

The pros are thin on this software. I'll list them by number.

1. The software is over 20 years old and has been refined and recreated numerous times over that period.
2. It makes creating lists very easy when copying and pasting information from tables on web forms. It intuitively pastes tables by column and row quite accurately 99% of the time and enables you to take one column as a list and paste it anywhere else. This utility reduces the tedium of quickly conveying information to co-workers considerably.
3. The ability to import data by comma or tab delimited text files is also exceedingly powerful in reducing time spent listing or reporting on specific items in a format that is not conducive to pasting into a table, or perhaps powershell script derived data outputted to a comma delimited text file. As a computer engineer, this takes hours and hours of time and compresses it into minutes.
4. The formulas, while available on Google or other spreadsheets, are also good pros and help with calculating anything you need to do in terms of math from other columns, in my case and in short, capacity and utilization percentages of storage devices on hand.

Cons

What I like least are the frustrating things, and while few, these really irk me and stand out as a problem, especially in creating reports for people using the formulas, math and functions that spreadsheets are best known for. Case in point: The ability to copy and paste just the function into another spreadsheet that is open. It simply does not work unless you tab out of the existing cell and this is because, annoyingly, separate files, completely separate Excel spreadsheets, all act as if they're part of the same file. If I have one spreadsheet xlsx file open and a separate one open where I'm copying and pasting pertinent data from one to the other, it acts as if I'm in the same spreadsheet and the behavior is inexplicably wonky and unusable. I just want to copy the formula plain text as is into the cell of another spreadsheet because I want to use that same math for data related to other irrelevant items. Google Sheets does not do this at all. Maybe this was something Accountants wanted for some crazy reason that I'll never encounter as an engineer. But this is obnoxious and makes me scream at the computer often.

The other con is that I do not like the non-intuitive UI and clunky way to simply save files. It pushes One Drive, and pushes it hard like non stop telemarketing calls. Also, I just prefer the old way to save files. Call me old fashioned but it was simple. I don't need the whole screen to change when cling the file tab.

Top Microsoft Excel Alternatives

Guy
Guy

Reviewed on 14/04/2024

The original and best spreadsheet and data management tool

Couldn't run our business without it. Essential!

Pros

Presenting, analysing, and reporting on data sets, using pivot tables, and showing data graphically. It's essential for our business, nothing else comes close

Cons

Occasionally I'd like to see more graph options, but it really does cover most bases

Albert

Reviewed on 17/06/2024

Microsoft Excel

Excel is an important tool for me, I use it daily to keep my teams organized and supplied with materials needed.

Pros

I use Ecel as a mini database for my activity. Is easy to use and visualize the information with the right conditional formatting and formulas. Creating graphs and charts helps me getting a bigger picture of everything. Using it with One Drive i am able to easy share it with my colleagues and keep all the information updated.

Cons

Support is found mostly on forums or different blogs.

Marian
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 20/06/2024

Microsoft Excel

Using Excel with One Drive and works excelent. All the sheets are saved in the cloud and easy accessible on my PC. Sharing and giving permissions to others can improve your workflow process.

Pros

Been using Excel for years now, for me it is very easy to use and customize. With the wright formulas you can do advanced sheets with custom data that you need. Importing and exporting data in Excel is very easy, .csv files are everywhere.

Cons

You got support on forums and different blogs.

Alexis

Reviewed on 07/06/2024

Excel Stick with What You Know

Excel is an excellent software for a business that has multiple staff members working on one project. It is also a great tool to use when a business wants to add a visual concept to the data they have collected

Pros

Excel can be accessed from anywhere or on any device.

Almost any officer worker can use Excel because it is user-friendly.

Excel is a great business tool for sharing and tracking important data across an organization.

Cons

Excel does work well on Apple devices.

Rishi

Reviewed on 24/06/2024

The best productivity tool in the market

This tool is my bread and butter that I use on a daily basis for my data analysis and visualisation needs. The fact that it’s part of the larger Microsoft suite makes it easy to collaborate and share with other users. Hands down the best tool there is in the market!

Pros

It’s endless features for computation, productivity tools and macros making it the best product in the market

Cons

The advanced features require training for effective use.

Reviewed on 20/06/2024

Offer a set of comprehensive and flexible features

This is an inevitable tool for data analysis at all levels.

Pros

It has a user-friendly interface and extensive capabilities for data analysis.

Cons

Some cracks take place with the non-Microsolf systems and older versions of files.

• Industry: Packaging & Containers

Reviewed on 19/06/2024

Microsoft Excel - Useful

Pros

It is useful for simple data analysis and organizing data

Cons

I do not like the limited functionality and usefulness when connecting to data sources

Harshil
Harshil
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Analysis begins

Best, better and growing at an wonderful levdl day by day. I recommend it to all analysts.

Pros

Calculations and formula interpretation is the major of excel. I worked a lot on data analysis and I used the formula feature frequently. I also like the tutorials and help section in excel. The most feature I like is the Pivot table because it is just an wide level of analysis in a single sheet. Just by putting rows and columns in appropriate way, I can generate a lot of things like revenue, profits, productivity, production data and much more. The Microsoft internal software networking within word, put and excel is too good. The dashboard creation of excel works for me and also speaks for me because it is doing a work of 10 people. I love it.

Cons

My cons are also on formula. I like to have a separate formula section in excel where we are able to see formula which we can used or which are applicable. This update can solve a lot of things automatically without using YouTube.

SAP Analytics Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Because it is world wide acceptable and can be easily modified into a required format. For me, my whole production datas comes in a excel format thus excel is now in my blood .
Robert
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

Excel Review

Excel is what every computer program should be. Best of class, powerful, supported and easy (within reason) to use and get better at using!

Pros

The template section is very powerful. If you can't picture how to build your spreadsheet/application, just a quick search through the templates will provide you with ideas that will get you where you need to be. Often, the template itself is the perfect answer, with a little modification. Easily accomplished in Excel.

Cons

Some of the features, such as graphing can be intimidating and if you aren't familiar with the components of graphing or charting, you'll have to do some trial and error experimentation. Best part, is to just experiment, with the program and you'll discover quite quickly how easy it is to build excellent tables, graphs and reports for other programs (i.e., power point and word)

Dominique
Dominique
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

Excel is difficult to use but offers so many features

Excel has so much to offer. I just wish that it would help it's users more with guidance. The help bar gives no guidance to its features and any tutorial is basic as ever. I shouldn't have to pay for courses outside of the company to figure it out. Microsoft should be providing the information needed to succeed with their products.

Pros

I like Excel because of all the features it does contain (even if I don't understand how to work most of them). But if you do understand how to work it, you can get amazing things done on Excel. You can track finances better than anywhere else. It's incredible some of the spreadsheets I've seen accomplished. You can actually create self-correcting puzzles such as Sudoku and Word Search Puzzles. I've even saw articles where artists created outstanding artwork with Excel but once again even when it comes to the art, it's all advanced mathematical formulas and equations, etc. I appreciate how Excel shows the formula that you should be using when you either type it in or click on it. It helps for memory and understanding new formulas. But when using several formulas together, it's not very helpful.

Cons

It would take me a lifetime to fully understand how to work everything in Excel. I took two classes on Excel-- Excel Skills for Business Beginner and Excel Skills for Business Intermediate. They were HARD. Advanced was way too hard for me to even attempt. But when taking the classes I realized that there is so much to unpack with Excel. It is extremely Mathematical which I never realized before that. If you're not great with Math, you may struggle with Excel because it's all about understanding and creating formulas. The intermediate and advanced formulas were way to hard for me.

Mike
Mike
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

Microsoft Excel is the most Dynamic tool for undertaking financial tasks like data entry.

We have been able to solve a lot of business problems with Microsoft Excel. Below are some of the obstacles that we are able to overcome at workstation.
1. Financial reporting
2. Creating appealing spreadsheets
3. Carrying out data entry projects
4. Realization of arithmetic operations- Formulas on this software help us in such areas.
5. Statistical sampling

Finally, I would highly recommend Microsoft Excel to all those individuals that are looking to save time and energy while carrying out some vital business operations like financial reporting.

Pros

To begin with, I must disclose that I have been using Microsoft Excel for more than six years +. In the midst of Microsoft Office suite, Excel is my favorite solution which has helped me to excel and is yet to do a lot. What I like about Microsoft Excel is that it is easy to install, setup, and reset up even with a little knowledge. Due to that, it is not necessarily to get comprehensive training in order to be a pro- since there is tons of tutorials in the entire internet. Personally, I used Excel in campus to solve some calculations, mainly repetitive calculations since it has all the tools for such capabilities. Nowadays, Microsoft Excel is one of the systems that help me to save time and energy since I am able to create, format, and edit spreadsheets. In addition, I like this software since it is available as both on-premise and cloud-based solution. With cloud-based solution or what we call Office 365, it is easy to work from anywhere provided there is stable internet connection.

Cons

Although Microsoft Excel is the most advanced platform for carrying out data entry projects, it gets offered at a higher license cost per user. To make it competitive on the market, Microsoft should ensure that it increase the number of individuals that can use one account. Alternatively, Microsoft can reduce the total cost of getting a genuine Microsoft Excel. By doing that, they will be in a better situation to entice a lot of prospective customers, especially small businesspersons. Finally, the fact that Microsoft Excel is not available on its own is among the issues that I like least about it.

Cindy
Cindy

Reviewed on 18/03/2019

Excel Review

Excel has so many brilliant features, including pie charts and flow charts that I use for my business. It does all of my complicated yearly estimates and my company's quarterly projections beautifully, without any hiccups. All the calculations are done perfectly and I find the auto fill feature really useful too. For example I only need to write out the first two days of the week, or the first two months of the year and the rest of the months are filled in by Excel automatically for me, so I don't have to write everything out. The software is really impressive, I use Excel on a daily basis in both my business and for my personal home use, honestly I can't live without this software!

Pros

What I like most about Excel is just how smart this software really is! I'm still impressed with it on a daily basis, whether it comes to the more complicated tasks such as filling in the sales numbers of what my company has earned for the week or doing the really basic calculations of what I have spend on groceries for the week. This software is reliable calculations every single time, I don't need a calculator, Excel adds and subtracts every sum I require within seconds. I see this software not only as my personal book keeper, but I also trust it to be a mathematical wizard all rolled in to one, incredibly smart every day helper.

Cons

What I like least about Excel is just how complicated it can get! It's a brilliant tool to use to help you keep your books, but if you don't know how to use v-look up for example or what a cell is even, you are going to be so lost using this software. It does look intimidating, especially when you see the layout for the first time and seeing all the lines and the numbered grids so neatly categorized out before you, but do not get discouraged because Excel is an awesome tool to use! If you are a first time user you will definitely need either a course in Excel to unlock all of its wonderful features or a coworker that is fluent in Excel to help you get started in the beginning.

Ayesha

Reviewed on 06/06/2019

Best software which makes my life easier

I've been using Excel from my collage up to now, it means more than 10 years. Still I couldn't find any better substitute which can replace Excel. Now I use Excel at both my work and also for my personal stuff. All the formulas, pivots, connections are really helpful for the business use. Same time I use Excel for my personal purposes such as an expense tracker and a budget planner. If you can become an expert on Excel its gonna really help you to build your confidence at work and also to do your work faster than the others. All Time Best Spreadsheet Software.

Pros

Well, I would just say Everything, but to more specific, I really love to work in the Excel by using short keys, it helps you to speed your work. Then it would be the formulas and the most useful would be vlookup/hlookup. Those are the things which makes my life easier on a daily basis. I usually don't even open the calculator no matter how simple the calculation is, it will always be Excel.

Also I really love the Pivots and tables which are really cool, accurate and nice. Also everything can be customized in the exact way we wanted. Same time its very secure, you can protect the worksheet or the book. Having all these great features I use Excel even for any documentation needs instead of Word.

Cons

Am just a normal user who used Excel at work and also for my personal analysis/documentation purposes. But I'm not an Excel pro who knows Macro and all that. Hence this software satisfies all my needs, so I cant think of any cons at the moment provided that I don't even get the maximum out of this amazing software.

The only issue I have here in Excel is there is no inbuilt auto correction or a grammar, spell checker. I know we can always use F7 for that but it would be great if it is possible to underline the missed spell words by the the time we are typing them.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Excel-essential for everyone

I'm an Excel user since my childhood and it is essential for every profession. I had a long journey with Excel still I didn’t find any better alternative for this spreadsheet software and this is the secret of success for remaining No 1 position. More love for Excel >>>

Pros

If you are a kid and you are trying to interact with PC for the first time, Excel is first coming for the mind for initial learning. Since my childhood, excel did a lot for me and even I can't imagine a better alternative for this. We can do numerous things for our educational purposes and business purposes apart from some basic real mathematics. The macro function feature of Excel is really awesome and we can customize our final output as per our requirements. It contains all the examples for itself for various equations and this helps a lot when we are very new to any set of functions and these suggestions really save our priceless money. The latest versions of Excel support various file formats and also we can save our outputs as a PDF format for our convents. I'm really impressed with Excel algorithm because it was a cracker for big equations and we can get the results within a second. The mobile version of Excel also doing a pretty decent job for their users and we don’t need transferring cables to access our files within various platforms because the cloud service from office 365 is really cool.

Cons

The Excel interface remains the same since their first appearance and we need some improvements in their appearance. Their pricing for the Office 365 package is comparatively high when compared to the other similar kind of alternatives. We are missing inbuilt auto-correction tool in excel and I hope this feature will be added soon.

Lisa
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 24/11/2019

Excel - The Miraclemaker of Spreadsheets

I have been using Excel since 1995, coming off of Lotus 1,2,3. Each release of Excel has improved its functionality. It’s not only a data organizer, it’s got the ability to turn into a database that’s even easier than Access. As a freelancer, I must keep lots of data. And it’s important to me to see how this data is making an impact in my business. With Excel, I can be my own data analyst and bookkeeper, and I can make gorgeous graphs to add to presentations that would make any CEO proud. Excel, you truly are my partner in business.

Pros

Excel has been my all time favorite piece of software for entering, storing, sorting, calculating, tracking and organizing every piece of important data I’ve had to work with. This data organizer and analyzer gives you the functions and features to take important data, be it my client list or the amount of money I charged and organize this data in any way I need. It utilizes complicated statistical formulas with a click. It graphs the data in any type of graph, and it is the ultimate business tool for any and all businesses. This is how I track who owes me what. This is how I keep track of how many more clients I have this year than last. This allows me to present the data in a way everyone will understand. I have been using Excel since it’s inception in Windows 95 and each new release only gets better.

Cons

There isn’t anything I don’t love about Excel. When I started using it in 1995, you used to have to memorize the formulas and that took time. Now, everything is one click away. Somehow, I do miss the days of actually using my own logic to calculate things. But boy, it sure saves me a lot of time now!!

Abraham
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

Microsoft Excel Review

I have been using Microsoft Excel for over 10 years now and I still continue to use the program on a weekly basis to conduct my work. Excel is a useful and efficient program and you can achieve productive and captivating results once you get a hang of the features and functionalities that it offers. My advice to beginners and if you really want to become a pro at excel, you need to use the program frequently and do your own research to better understand the functionalities. Excel is not a database program and is not equipped to store large volumes of data, that is the job of Microsoft Access and other database programs out there. In my career excel has been a huge part of achieving my targets and KPI which is not only limited to my daily job but also in my personal life and education. I highly recommend excel to any Windows user and even Linux users because excel is such a great tool for accomplishing your work in a shorter span of time and user friendly. Excel can be used to assist with developing your reports in terms of its graphical features but it not a reporting tool. But excel is great for calculations, querying data from external sources, planning and putting data in a presentable format that audiences can relate and understand.

Pros

When I first started using Microsoft Excel I instantly realized how efficient this program was because it eliminated the use of pen and paper for me. The installation of the program is quick and easy with just a few clicks of the mouse and the program is ready to use. MS Excel enables me to work with multiple worksheets simultaneously and linking these worksheets together to create a graphical and tabular summary. My favorite feature in excel is the availability of various graphs and pivot charts that allows me to display complex data in simple format, so that my audience is able to absorb information faster and easily. Furthermore, excel has other great features which really helps in my daily job as an administrator when I need to export high volumes of data from application software or active directory. These functions include data filtering and sorting, and data calculation with a simple drag and highlighting of cells. I also love how you can easily customize the interface of the program to your liking. For me this feature is very important because it makes the program more user friendly and dynamic. Overall, the program is just amazing to use because its packed with so many features, that even I am still learning as I go along.

Cons

Th least thing I like about Microsoft Excel is that it starts to hang in an idle state when the file size increases and I have noticed this problem when the file starts to reach 350MB in size and beyond. Excel also contains a great deal of formulas and I found this quiet confusing when I started using the program, which resulted in watching a few tutorials first and doing further research on how to use these functionalities. The program also cannot run directly on the Linux operating system, and as a frequent user of both excel and Linux I would have preferred if this was possible. However, there are a few alternatives out there you can use to make this work, but I would not recommend it for a novice user.

Randall

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Excel is still king, but....

I used Excel to save me countless hours when I was a student data manager for a Tennessee school district. Being able to record or write macros so that tasks are automated -- that's priceless, and I'm grateful for Excel's role in that.

As I said, I've created an application using Excel that is used by some school districts in Tennessee to save work hours (in some cases, shrinking time spent from 5 hours or more to 5 minutes). I've been able to carve out a small business doing so.

Pros

Familiar to many office users
Handles spreadsheet functions very well
Highly customizable
Has relatively easy macro creation for automation of repeated tasks, which allowed me to create a customized spreadsheet application used by school districts in Tennessee
Uses Visual Basic for macros and code creation, and VB is a relatively simple, easy-to-read language

Cons

When it comes to standard use (entering data and running calculations), there's not much to dislike except that Excel costs money if you're an individual or a business. Google Sheets does not, and Sheets added macro recording not long ago.

Neither Excel nor Google Sheets has what I would consider great customer service. I mean, there's a wealth of information online about either which gets you past most obstacles, but there's no one I've found to talk to about issues such as the one described below.

At some point recently, a pop-up message has begun showing up about Excel waiting for another application to complete an OLE request (or something similar). This stops my code in its tracks, and since the point of programming is to eliminate button clicks and manual oversight, it defeats the purpose. Based on my research, I see that the error is even popping up for users who are using Excel with no macros or VB code -- very frustrating, and the "simple" fixes suggested in some places have not worked for me or many others. (The same code triggering this messages still runs well on an older, slower machine. It doesn't make sense that Excel would have problems on a newer, faster PC.)

Christopher

Reviewed on 02/09/2021

A great software for basic data management.

Pros

Almost all students have worked with Excel, but less than half of them know everything it has to offer. Microsoft Excel is a requirement, and although we say we know how to use it, this is limited to the basic functions. As we know, it is a spreadsheet in which we can organize information, apply formulas to obtain results quickly, create graphs, generate more than one sheet in the same file, among others. This is why it is a program that most companies handle today as a database, inventories, organization of students or customers, simply for everyday use is a great software.

Cons

Being a software of the Microsoft family, most of its great features are limited to have a 365 subscription on this software, but leaving that aside, Excel is not a tool for a data analyst, as it has many deficiencies in this area, I think it serves a lot for office work, but do not go beyond control and have a proper management of figures and monetary amounts, for that there are better software, but it is not a tool for a data analyst, as it has many deficiencies in this area, I consider that it is very useful for office work, but you do not go beyond control and have a proper management of figures and monetary amounts, for that there are better software.

Debbie

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

Excel is Excellent for Non-Power Users, Too!

I don't need any of the advanced capabilities like Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, Macros or VBA but I know that I can learn those if and when I need to.

Overall, my experience with Excel has been extremely positive. It keeps me on-track, allows me to do some simple but effective number-crunching and even (with an add-on) allows me to design flowcharts within the program.

I like that I can share what I'm doing with colleagues and clients. That's a huge advantage and time-saver.

All in all, I highly recommend Excel - even for those of us who don't need all the power it potentially provides. It's great for us as well.

Pros

When I first started using Excel I was concerned that it would be too complicated for my needs. I needn't have worried.

It turns out that Excel is easy to learn and use, even for non-power users. I often use it as a simple database for keeping track of courses I signed up for and need to complete, books I need to read, my ongoing expenses, budgeting and more.

I have also started using Excel more in my business - for planning my content and keeping track of where it appears and what the results have been. Again, simple to set up but a major improvement as far as keeping me on track and productive in my business.

It's really easy to set up and I can style each worksheet to meet my needs. It's also easy to get specific help when I get stuck because there are just so many sources of information online.

I usually start off with a template, and that's another reason I like Excel so much. I don't need to start from scratch - someone has usually made a relevant template available for downloading which I can then adapt for my own purposes. It's so much quicker to work that way.

Cons

I do sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the options, and sometimes it's difficult for me to find the exact item in the menu that I need to access. However, I do eventually get there, and then that's one more thing that I've mastered in Excel.

Mowshori

Reviewed on 18/09/2022

With Microsoft Excel, I can look at a lot of data at once.

Microsoft has made Excel apps that can be put on smartphones so that the user can view, edit, and share Excel files.

Pros

It lets me work on the web version of MS Excel with my peers or coworkers. This means that I and my peers can access the Excel file from anywhere and change it at the same time.
Excel is a great tool for analyzing data because not only can I store our data and do calculations with it, but it also comes with a number of other tools.
Powerful tools for filtering, sorting, and searching help me narrow down the factors I need to think about when making decisions. So, I can play with a huge amount of data in an efficient way.

Cons

If the file is too big, it can slow down the Excel program because the interpreter/compiler has to go through each row and/or column. The easiest way to make sure Excel is time-efficient is to break up the file into smaller files.
For a one-time analysis, Microsoft Excel is a great tool.
The information doesn't go into the spreadsheet. The user has to type in every single bit by hand.

MATLAB

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Excel

It is not secure enough.

RStudio Desktop
Humberto
Humberto
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 24/06/2018

With Excel you can sort the information easily and quickly, and separate tables and columns

Drawing graphics quickly and easily
Printing facilities being possible to preview the print on screen. You can print vertically and horizontally
Files can be protected with a password for greater security
Manage headers and footers, titles, margins, automatic numbering of pages, automatic insertion of date and time
Allows manipulating information directly, moving or changing size objects
Allows you to see two or more applications on the screen at the same time
Realization of arithmetic operations with formulas

Pros

Use the conditional format

Excel users can format their spreadsheets using different color tones, bold and italic, to differentiate between the columns and bring the most important data to the front. This function can be useful in the presentation of accounting information, such as the benefit before taxes and the balance that will be transferred by the company. Users can select an appropriate color scheme using the quick analysis button, and then by using the Format tab.

Help identify trends

When presenting the data in the form of tables or graphs, it may be useful to include middle lines, which explicitly detail the key trends that emerge from the information. This can help demonstrate key points to other users in a direct way - for example, an executive from a different department during a board meeting. Excel allows trend lines to extend beyond the graph, to provide predictions of activity in the future - and such forecasts can help companies develop their future strategy.

Collect data

Excel can be used to carry information from different files and documents together, so it exists in one place. As well as raw data and information from other spreadsheets, it is possible to import text and images. Other objects can be added using the Insert tab, spreadsheets or they can be added to the file.

Cons

Disadvantages of Excel
Some people consider graphics insufficient or of poor quality
It is a payment program that does not have an affordable price available to everyone
It is a program unable to handle dates before 1990
Information may be lost when the application is divided into too many files
Files take up a lot of space
Viruses can be attached to an Excel file through macros
It is not an application of which one can be self-taught, but in general courses are needed to be able to get the necessary party
It is not useful at the domestic level
Does not work to be customized with financial subsets
Each operation must be entered manually
It requires, for your needs, a powerful computer and in good condition
Only compatible with Windows and Mac
It usually presents unexpected errors that cause the program to close abruptly and unrecoverable data is lost

Rodrigo

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

The most powerful spreadsheet software (yet simple by far, especially for large scale complex...

The amount of work we handled could only be done by this software, we tried other alternatives and nothing worked, especially at the amazing speed of MS Excel. Many people have this software which makes it easy to share and collaborate. That is the reason why this software is the standard in industry.

Pros

It is extremely powerful, fast and reliable software for medium to large scale financial reporting. My personal experience with this software is a testimony of this statement. I have worked for years in (large scale) financial reporting, the position is called financial controller of car manufacturer which produces 500,000 cars per year. Our financial reporting software for the past 5 years has been MS Excel and to give you an idea of the scale, we use very large spreadsheets (100 sheets, with a couple of thousand used rows and hundreds of columns, linked to 30-40 files with a large VBA codes in them) we even had to migrate from .xlsm to .xlsb to speed up the process. We've integrated it with SAP (ERP software) and work flawlessly and fast, we have even developed our own MS Excel in house Add-ons.
It is easy to track errors and formulas, you can combine Boolean conditions easily with the use of sum-product, lookup and indexing functions, it even has an optimisation solver embedded (simplex, non-linear and integer). The regression tools are at the level of specific data analysis software.
But the best part of it is that many people have MS Excel installed in their computer which makes it extremely convenient and easy to share with anyone. I can only tell that by far is the best software (in general) I've ever used. I simply love it (as you can tell).
Disclaimer: I've no longer work as a controller, I've moved to research and I still used it every day.

Cons

When you are moving the same file in different devices with different display resolutions, sometimes it gets a bit messy with graphs losing their proportions. Also a big drawback of some of their online and mobile device versions is that those are not very well integrated with "complex" VBA code.