Microsoft Authenticator Reviews

About Microsoft Authenticator

Designed for businesses in education, technology, automotive, manufacturing, retail and other industries, Microsoft Authenticator (part of Microsoft Entra) is an authentication platform that helps users securely log into online...

Browse Microsoft Authenticator Reviews

Alejandro
Alejandro

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

The best authenticator for 2FA and password backups

The best authenticator that support cloud backup for the 2FA accounts and passwords that live in microsoft Edge.

Pros

- Prompt for microsoft account(s) approve code or just that to accept login.
- Support for other 2FA (two factor authentication) like Amazon, Google, Wyze, Firefox, etc.
- It syncs your passwords with Microsoft Edge for autocompletion or simply to browse them in your phone.
-It backs up all the 2FA accounts so you simply login to your microsoft account and restore every account.
- Runs in the background, no need to open the app for certain accounts (helpful in my work account that I use several times a day).
- Pin/fingerprint protected and locks every time the phone locks or changes app (can be disabled).
- Show or hide all the current one-time codes, preventing snoopers.
- For microsoft account, you can change easily the passwords in there.
- Can be enabled or disabled to take screenshots of the app, enhancing privacy.
- It can import passowrods from Chrome and other browsers via csv.

Cons

I do not have battery optimization but sometimes it does not show notifications and I need to open the app. Maybe enable it will fix it.
It would be nice to have a separate lock function when the app is locked or changing apps.
No dark theme.
No separate function for specific pin to lock the app. It uses your fingerprint or phone pin. No custom supported.

• Industry: Think Tanks

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

My go-to tool for multi-factor authentication

It has been very good. I set up accounts, use them, thats it. No fuss or having to redo things. Moving to a new mobile phone is also easy and straightforward with the instructions they provide.

Pros

The map that shows where the request is coming from (if enabled and supported)
password-less option for Microsoft 365
easy to set up multiple M365 accounts
easy to set up non-Microsoft accounts
works reliably and quickly, I've never had an issue where it stopped working.
Easy to deploy to our staff.

Cons

They disabled the Apple Watch integration that allowed you to approve a login from your Apple Watch.

The backup process requires you have a personal Microsoft Account. I would like to back up to my enterprise account.

• Industry: Research

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Slightly annoying

Pros

This gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing that no one can get into any of my accounts unless they have my phone. It's worth it for peace of mind especially if you handle large purchases on behalf of a large company.

Cons

There was a recent update that went from having the authenticator ask you to click approve on your phone to now requiring an additional step of scanning your fingerprint that's in your phone or putting your phones lock screen pin which is quite annoying to me. I wish it was just the approve button from before but I understand the need for additional security.

Top Microsoft Authenticator Alternatives

Gustavo
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Reviewed on 27/02/2024

Security ensured

Pros

Is a key element in the security of companies. very intuitive to use.

Cons

sometimes it is a bit tedious for the employers

Adrian
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 21/10/2023

A great mobile app for security and convenience!

An excellent app which is very handy for mobile authentication of secure websites.

Pros

Microsoft Authenticator is great for the versatility of being able to login to different secure sites from the same mobile app. I use it for our own software in our legal practice as well as for some law related government website. Authenticator is essentially a handy hub for two-factor authentification in one convenient location. The app also works with the Apple Watch which is great.

Cons

Sometimes I forget to look at the facial recognition after beginning the Authenticator process and this causes a delay but this is my impatience rather than a fault with the app.

Ian

Reviewed on 22/06/2023

Authentication Integrated Nicely With Your Office 365

We have been using the Microsoft Authenticator application and feature in Office 365 for years to secure our logins. It was worked reliably and has enabled us to be compliant. It is easy to manage for administrators and users have had no issue setting up.

Pros

We are able to enforce the users Authentication with Microsoft Authenticator. It works at securing our user sign ins with the mobile app they use to confirm the authentication process. It is easy to manage from the Office 365 Administrator console.

Cons

The single sign on feature can be difficult for it to work with other applications. The support from Microsoft and the product is more costly than other options.

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Good for 2FA, needs to improve mobile experience

Pros

It's an easy-to-set-up and use tool for any business that needs 2FA. Without excessive tech knowledge it can be ready to use in minutes; so a great tool for companies who need to have 2FA for further security whose employees are not all tech geeks. Its "remember" feature comes in handy as well, as no matter how easy, it's still a bother to go through 2FA every time you log into a platform, especially when you're in a hurry.

Cons

It randomly logs you out from time to time, not much of a deal as it's very easy to log back in. But; the real issue is the mobile experience. If you're trying to log into an app on your mobile device, where you also have your Authenticator set up, you have to switch between platforms. And sometimes, the pop-up where you type the code comes right on top of the verification code display screen, which disables you from seeing the code in the first place. So you're basically stuck at that point. Sometimes the code appears a few seconds before the type pop-up, in that case, and if you're quick, no problem with sign-on.

Komal

Reviewed on 06/08/2023

Microsoft Authenticator for Two Factor Authentication

I really like to use Microsoft Authenticator for authenticating almost each and every business and personal access. It is a simple app and has user friendly interface.

Pros

Microsoft Authenticator is a useful application and provides two factor authentication safety to the applications and sensitive data. It provides a layer of security and restrict unauthorized access to data.

Cons

There is not such but It could have more features and password management tool.

Rilwan
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Perfect for what it does

Pros

The fact that is easy to integrate with other software makes it a great option. We get thousands of platform users per day and the software helps with the authentication.

Cons

It can be an hassle if you change your number or the email registered to the software.

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

Function well for secure multi accounts

I am satisfied with this app.

Pros

Help connect and manage multiple accounts in a faster and secure way.

Cons

The price is fairly expensive. And sometimes, my accounts can be lost due to strong protection.

Raj
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 18/08/2021

Get an extra security layer for peace of mind

Microsoft Authenticator is a robust security app allowing TFA and password storage. Unlike traditional authentication by memorizing passwords or writing them down, It is a much faster and efficient way. There is a lot of customization available in the settings. You can rest assured that no one else can access your accounts without due authentication.

Pros

1. It provides two-factor authentication (TFA) for secure access to your online accounts.
2. It has a very simple easy to use interface. All you have to do is authenticate by clicking or typing security code(s).
3. Like Google Authenticator, it updates security codes every few seconds for improved online safety.
4. You can also update security info or change passwords for your respective accounts from within the app.
5. If you are suspicious or just curious, you may review the recent activity of each account protected by Microsoft Authenticator.
6. The password tab lets you store passwords or other data in the app and syncs it across all the signed-in devices.
7. You may use multiple Microsoft accounts.
8. The app is protected by a PIN, pattern lock or fingerprint for added security, so if somebody snoops into your mobile, he may not access the app.
9. It runs in the background and lets you access some accounts without bothering to open the app.
10. You can also import passwords from Chrome and other browsers.

Cons

1. The security code is not hidden. If someone can see the mobile screen from a hidden camera, there is a possibility of misuse.
2. You have to disable battery optimization to let Authenticator show the notifications even on low batteries.
3. When you switch apps and return to the authenticator app, it does not ask for app lock authentication, which may be a security loophole.

Marko
Marko

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Really easy to use and a real lifesaver when it comes to two factor authentication

I cannot stress enough how useful and time saving this tool is! I’m using it for work when I’m logging into the corporate network, when logging to customer’s Azure server and I’m also using it for services such as PayPal. It’s quite easy to set up and use on your phone. With just one click, or rather tap, on the approval notification you are logged in. No need for waiting on codes, punching in secret answers, resolving anti-bot puzzles or any of those things. The important thing worth mentioning is that you should ABSOLUTELY turn on cloud backup as soon as you install the app on your phone. This is what happened to me: I’ve enabled two factor authentication for PayPal, but when I changed my phone the PayPal account hasn’t transferred to the new phone’s Authenticator and I didn’t have access to my old phone. Because of that I could not log into PayPal because it is requesting me to approve the login thru the Authenticator. Long story short, turn on cloud back up and you won’t have any problems.

Pros

Easy to use, it has cloud backup and it really offers a quick way for two step authentication.

Cons

If you don’t turn on cloud backup some of your accounts might get locked when you change phone or perform factory reset.

Taoufik

Reviewed on 07/05/2023

Microsoft Authenticator For More Security

My experience with Microsoft Aithenticator is being successful, i'm very satisfied with this software application because is allow me to access in my accounts easily and offer me advantages of security that another application cannot offer.

Pros

Microsoft authenticator have advanced features. It allowed to use our accounts with more security and offer easy way to verify our identity and credentials before we sign in. Multi-Factor authentication, Management access, credentials and accouts, Manahe our password and more features in Microsoft Authenticator giving a high level of user experience and more secure our accounts woth multiple choicesIt was very easy to adapt our systems to microsoft authenticator.

Cons

The featured wich can be improved is using facial authentication or biométrics informations to secure more and more our accounts.

Jaden

Reviewed on 21/11/2022

Great for MFA use

Overall this is a great product. No complaints

Pros

I use this primarily for MFA use. It is super simple and the notifications are great. I never have issues with it.

Cons

Sometimes the notifications on the watch are buggy and do not work.

Osmond
Osmond

Reviewed on 31/01/2023

An Excellent choice for Protecting Online Accounts.

My overall experience with Microsoft Authenticator has been very positive. It is a great tool for keeping my accounts secure and providing me with an extra layer of protection. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an extra layer of security.

Pros

I like Microsoft Authenticator the most because it is a secure and easy way to access my accounts. It allows me to quickly and easily log into my accounts with two-factor authentication, which adds an extra layer of security to my accounts. Also, it is available on both iOS and Android devices, making it convenient and accessible for everyone. Microsoft Authenticator also allows me to easily manage multiple accounts, and I can even use it to generate secure passwords for my accounts.

Cons

I find that Microsoft Authenticator can be difficult to use at times. It is not always intuitive, and I find myself having to search for answers to questions that should be more straightforward. Additionally, I find the interface to be a bit clunky and not as user-friendly as some of the other authentication services available.

Leandro
Leandro
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 24/09/2021

Security and protection with Microsoft Authenticator

Every day I need to log into a platform or website to perform a job and for fear of threats I installed Microsoft Authenticator on my cell phone and I always use it on a website, where I registered the Authenticator.
If you want more security, I recommend the Microsoft Authenticator application, I've been using it for 12 months and in my opinion, it's impossible for anyone to log into my account. I started to feel more secure with Microsoft Authenticator when visiting a platform.

Pros

I like the ease of verification. A light and simple application that generates a new code every 30 seconds in a fast and secure way I can protect all my accounts wherever I can install it. This app provides an extra layer of protection when I enter a platform.
Maybe for some, it won't make a difference but Microsoft Authenticator has an option in the app where I can change the background color in a dark mode which helps not to overcharge your phone battery.

Cons

It is only available in versions for Android, Windows Phone, and iOS could have a version for notebook.

Reviewed on 04/04/2021

Microsoft Authenticator

Pros

This app is easily available for desktop/laptop and mobile devices. The is supported on Google Android and IOS devices also. This app helps in Sign in into accounts using two factor authentications. It can be easily installed into all devices. you can add authentication for multiple accounts into single app which makes it easier when working on multiple client applications.
I have been using this authenticator for over two years and haven't found any problems till now.

Cons

GUI of the app is not attractive. I believe desktop app should include feature to scan the bar code through webcam instead of manual entry.

Edward

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

As easy as it gets

Microsoft Authenticator is great because it does exactly what it's supposed to and nothing more or nothing less.

Pros

It's really easy to set up and use the first time, so there shouldn't be any issues right out of the get go, as it's a really simple product.

Cons

If you are setting up MFA on a new device, it can kind of be a bit of a hassle depending on the administration settings, but other than that it's a pretty simple and easy product.

AARON

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Made my devices one.

Bliss, I just authenticate fast and I am in. One day let's DNA and a thumb pressure print average.

Pros

I have a hard time coping with too many devices. It gives me stress but today's world pushes it on me as a involuntary yoke. Microsoft authenticator just had taken the burden out of it all. I really just love the ease and click, a number, a simple add of an account and presto. My problems are gone.

Cons

They have such a gap between this and google. I really want one day for Microsoft to own google, remove the adds, but adopt the search search engine. It would make my day to make them have no separate password service.

Eric

Reviewed on 02/02/2023

Microsoft Authenticator- Log in with safety!

Overall I rate this a 9.5/10Free to download and use and helps safely secure my employees as they log into our programs we use daily.Linking your mobile device to the main system can get a little tricky but in the end it works very well. I highly recommend this if you and your staff need safe and secure log ins to sensitive information within your company and programs you use.

Pros

We like most the thumbprint single use action to securely sign on to our secure systems. This is very helpful as we need to keep our security and privacy very high due to the confidential and sensitive infoirmation we deal with on a daily basis.

Cons

The only problem I can honestly think of is when linking the authenticator from mobile to the computer can be a little tricky. Using the QR code to help link up is nice and all but sometimes it doesn't work at 1st and have to try again and some people are still unfamiliar with QR codes.

Mohammad
Mohammad

Reviewed on 27/01/2023

Best Mobile application for data security - Multi Factor Authentication

#Microsoft Authenticator provides additional layer of security to our mobile device.#It protects by real time authentication.#MFA is easy to use even a person don't knows about technology# Easy installation and no interuption in between after successful setup.

Pros

#Microsoft MFA is so much secure and it also secures our device.#It provides security to be hacked or data stealing, there is 6 digit pin is always needed to get access to particular app data. #credential generated by MFA 6 digit pin is also changes every 30 seconds.#Through this its hard to crack this code. We are also so much relaxed as it is maintained by Microsoft which having market reputation.

Cons

#Customer support can be improved more so that anywhere we stuck can get resolution fast.#Make it more secure as it is needed in this market because everyday we listen about data leakage.

Ho'omana Nathan
Ho'omana Nathan
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 09/09/2021

It's an okay 2FA solution, but not the best available

I liked Microsoft Authenticator well enough, and it's basically interchangeable with Google Authenticator as a clean, simple 2FA solution if you feel confident you won't lose/lose access to the device where it's installed before you can transfer it to another device. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere (Authy is my go-to).

Pros

Microsoft Authenticator looks nice and does what it should (generates codes for 2FA)! It looks nice enough and has a clean interface.

Cons

You can't sync between devices (the downfall of Google's Authenticator too). If you lose the device with the generator, it's over with.

Gaurav
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 21/05/2022

Microsoft Authenticator - Seamless 2FA Solution

Pros

Great UI, Easy-to-setup, secure, supports backup and restore features. Notification based authentication for office accounts make quick authentication for sign in without opening the app is such a hassle-free solution. The login process become so much more seamless and efficient. Overall, it is an intuitive app with great features!

Cons

Lack of desktop app and advanced feature such as the ability to select a logo/photo of each login.

PriyaDharshan

Reviewed on 09/05/2023

Best Authenticator

Daily, Using this authenticator I'm logging my account.

Pros

We can easily approve log-in requests via mobile by using biometric. That is a great feature to authenticate our account very quickly.

Cons

I don't see any bugs, as of now working amazing.

Iheanyi
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 04/05/2023

Safety Guranteed

Pros

A great two factor authenticator providing sophisticated security feature in accessing sites and links from hackers and intruders.

Cons

There are no disadvantage seen yet in the use of this software.