Microsoft OneNote Reviews

About Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is a digital note taking app that can be accessed via Android, Chrome, Windows, iOS and Mac devices. The solution is well-suited for individuals attending numerous meetings per week and working on multiple...

Browse Microsoft OneNote Reviews

1,572 of 1,572 reviews
Nicholas
Nicholas

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

OneNote: a great foundation for collaboration

OneNote has become central to our documentation at our organization. Especially after the integration between OneNote and Office 365 Groups and then Teams, the addition of the Collaboration Space and Documentation Library has helped us create central repositories that can be worked on simultaneously and frequently. Administration can collaborate and share materials and use the private spaces for groups members to take their own notes or have individual content distributed to them to work on or reflect upon.
I love this product and since growing with it in my career have also expanded to use it in my personal life for notetaking, organization, and planning.

Pros

The notebook structure was very appealing to me when I first started using OneNote. Once I unbound myself from the concept of creating everything to translate to a printed letter size piece of paper it really took off. You can create your notebook and its contents to directly translate to what if it had to be printed. But you can also transform it to a fully interactive collection. With links to various other locations in the same notebook, other locations and materials on the internet, and even embedding videos and other documents directly in the pages of the notebook you can make the reach of the content presented to extend beyond the boundries of the document itself.

Cons

The different versions - When OneNote transitioned to the web, it was during the focus on the Metro UI in Windows 8 and it suffered for it. The simplicity of what the web version could do was crippled by the ability of the internet browsers at the time. Over time it has increased in parity between the desktop version and the web, however - the Metro UI designed app has lingered and its design has stayed truer to the web version than the original desktop version. It is getting harder to find the desktop version that has content central and navigation to the left, top, and right sides. The web, mobile app, and "for windows 10" versions make navigation subjectively more complex when you have extensively robust notebooks.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

It proved to be the most logical and user friendly to translate hierarchical structures of documentation, collaboration, and communication the way we needed to get the most buy in and participation from the community.
Vigdalia
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Microsoft OneNote to forget nothing!

Microsoft OneNote is my loyal friend in my daily routine, not only while I'm working but also when I'm studying.
I write my notes and organize information on files, knowing that anytime I need them, I'll get them right away. It's always a win-win tool!

Pros

I love Microsoft OneNote a lot, from its help in taking notes about the tasks and information I need to keep track of to the beautiful colors I can apply to my files. Yes, I know. It may sound nerdy, but this is the way I am.

Cons

Nothing; Microsoft makes everything useful and nice. I started using Microsoft OneNote a few years ago and never got disappointed.

Emma
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 13/03/2024

Microsoft OneNote review

Overall my experience was average, it has its uses but I don't use it to its full potential

Pros

It is really helpful as a central point for the whole team to update and monitor one single document. I use this for sharing minutes of meetings so the rest of the team can see these.

Cons

I find it difficult to navigate and create a structure that works for me, i cant work out how to add enough pages and sub pages and keep it organised in a way that workds for me. It took too much time to make something that wasnt working for me

Top Microsoft OneNote Alternatives

Brittany
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 18/01/2024

The BEST find yet!

It's been awesome! If you are needing software that keeps track of notes, documents, photos, emails, appointments, etc --- this is your software!

Pros

I like that you can use many sections, you can merge sections, you can attach calendar appointments, emails, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and much more. It has been a saving grace in the collections department. So easy to use and I highly recommend to everyone I talk to. I stumbled upon OneNote by accidentally clicking on it instead of Word. When I started to play around with it, I realized that it was exactly what I needed for the many accounts I manage.

Cons

I wish it was an option to have a page within two sections that updates itself.

Nathalie

Reviewed on 13/04/2024

My backup note taking app

I still love OneNote- so much so, that I use it at every job to help me stay organized and on-pace.

Pros

I love that you can organize the heck out of your notes. They can be organized into books so that they are grouped together along with other similar notes/content.

Cons

Unfortunately, since I cannot set reminders in OneNote, it remains my backup notepad- despite it having amazing features which my main app does not have yet.

Shayna

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

OneNote convos

It had some kinks in the beginning but I figured it out, and it has become my number 1 go to source.

Pros

How easy it is to locate my notes from staff meetings, ease of dropping off a memo or two to an employee.

Cons

Cost of the usage because I'm paying the same high dollar amount but I do get extra out of it.

Karolina

Reviewed on 22/03/2024

Useful and keeps your notes organized

Pros

OneNote is quite intuitive tool and easy to work with. It helps me during the meetings - I can make lists of things that I wanted to say and also note some comments, insights and conclusions. You can also paste some screenshots if they are neccessary. All changes are automatically sent to the cloud.

Cons

For now I didnt have any bad experiance with OneNote

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

Microsoft OneNote every day use

Pros

too many things on one place, I can share it very easily with other people, important for regularly meetings

Cons

sometimes it is not so easy to find something in many folders

Reviewed on 10/04/2024

Taking notes with Microsoft OneNote

I've been using Microsoft OneNote to take notes when using Microsoft Teams for online meetings, it has very good features and

Pros

Microsoft OneNote is a simple and fast software to take notes, it automatically saves, integrates well with other Microsoft products, easily organize and categorize your notes.

Cons

Microsoft products (including OneNote) are unfortunately not supported on Linux, I have to use the online website for OneNote to take notes.

• Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

OneNote Experience

Pros

Helping people to keep their notes and align on the business objectives, including meeting agenda, records, and next step actions.

Cons

Creating a document and managing its layout and structure are not convenient compare to MS Word or even PowerPoint. Keeping my notes tidy and structured need some extra attention.

Erin
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 04/02/2022

OneNote - Unified Resource

Overall, using OneNote for our team document/process library has been helpful because it's a central place for a wide variety of information and documents that were formerly in many different places. It can sometimes be tricky to decide how to organize the notebooks because there are so many section and page options, and sometimes content is relevant to more than one section - however, the search function is usually quite reliable.

Pros

The search features of OneNote are very useful. I like using OneNote for my meeting notes, as they are easily searchable and I can organize them in various ways.

It's also nice to use OneNote for our team process manual/helpful notes/new hire checklists/etc. We use OneNote as a centralized document library because it is easy to search and share content.

Cons

We run into frequent sync issues with shared notebooks, so it can be challenging to know if all team members are seeing the same content. Not sure if this is a PC issue, a security issue or a OneNote issue - our IT help desk offers various solutions that work for some users but not for others. It would be nice if the sync error notification was more obvious to let you know you're viewing outdated content.

Drew
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Reviewed on 29/11/2023

Microsoft OneNote Review

Pros

Great for taking notes, especially in a work environment. If it is integrated to your Microsoft Outlook email it is easy to transfer over meetings and notes between the two. You can also flag tasks that you need to follow up on in OneNote and then that will transfer to your To Do list in your Microsoft Outlook.

You can easily search your notes using a few keywords and you can tag your notes and search them that way.

The way you can breakout your notebooks into sections and those sections into pages really makes organizing your notes easy. You can also create templates that let you easily format your pages.

Overall this is my go to note taking app both for personal use and work use.

Cons

You need to buy the whole Microsoft office to use OneNote to it's full potential.

Ashik
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 06/02/2022

Incredible application for note and document management.

For online task management or taking notes on business meetings, this is very intuitive and useful. It actually saved some time in arranging the meeting notes. Arranging and compiling clients data has become more convenient after using this application.

Pros

This software came with Microsoft 365 subscription. The features are very convenient to deal with. Taking any notes online is just a work of few seconds. The added task can be managed and the notes can be separated at ease. There is option for distinguishing the notes in arranging by sub order.Also, different types of annotation in different color can be added in files. The OCR is also a great addition to OneNote. The cloud backup is secured and saves a lot of time.

Cons

Sometimes,while taking notes in online meetings,it lags a bit. In working with bigger files,the pen sometimes do not change even after clicking.

Notepad++

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft OneNote

Zoho lacked some annotation features.

Zoho Notebook

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft 365 offered better integration and compact features.
Richard
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

My favorite software of all time

In spite of the storage restrictions, OneNote is still my absolute favorite tool for document management, note-taking, and data storage. While other programs like Evernote or Google Keep provide similar services, OneNote definitely stands above the competition in almost every way imaginable.

Pros

I love everything about Microsoft OneNote, but I especially use it for the purpose of document management. Any information I find across the internet or elsewhere always ends up within OneNote. There's not a piece a of information I can't somehow incorporate into OneNote.

Cons

My main issue with OneNote is the fact that it's storage is dependent upon OneDrive's storage space. This leads to OneNote being maxed out if my OneDrive is completely full, or if you only have a free version of OneDrive which only allows 5GB of storage.

Quynh
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 03/10/2023

An effective online diary with good filing features.

It's been a good experience to use team wide and ensure notes and documents are stored somewhere that everyone can access.

Pros

I like the fact that it syncs across different devices so that your notes are with you wherever you go. It has a good note management system too with the subpages so it makes organising your notes according to categories etc. very well.

Cons

It could have a better UI in complete honesty. A few competitors in the marketplace have a nicer UI which makes it more appealing to use.

Phil

Reviewed on 27/02/2020

OneNote for every note!

I use onenote for business meetings for note taking, tracking takeaways and sharing them with the whole team. We all have access to the same notes, same takeaways and can all add to the meeting notes. I also like to use it for keeping track of information I might come across that I want to follow up on at some point, putting my ideas down so I don't forget them. Clipping articles/webpages so I can refer back to it. Create to-do lists.

Pros

If you are working in the Microsoft eco system OneNote is a must. Taking notes and keeping track of information is simple since it is tied into every Office/O365 application; Sharepoint, Word, Outlook even when browsing the web. Can be used for note taking during business meetings, training/school, planning vacations, shopping list. Uses are limit less. Best of all you can do it from what ever device you have with you and your notes will be available to you everywhere.

Cons

Onenote is such a powerful tool that it can be overwhelming to get a grasp on all that it can do and how to best use it for your situation.

Lex
Lex

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Not my first choice

I need to concede, that at the outset I had numerous issues getting myself set up with one note, however from that point forward, it has been an outright lifeline. The entirety of my archives are in one region, I can get to them from each PC I own and Id need to say I use it regular, I in a real sense couldn't abandon utilizing this program.

Pros

Microsoft OneNote is loaded with numerous highlights that go past taking notes; it likewise gives you a few different ways to change pictures over to message. For instance, the OCR instrument permits you to snap a photo of an archive, business card, flyer or whiteboard, then, at that point extricate that content. You would then be able to save that content in OneNote, Microsoft Word or Standpoint.

OCR's productivity relies upon a few elements. These incorporate picture quality, the intricacy of the characters it is examining and the intelligibility of the transcribed notes. So consistently make a point to twofold check in the event that it perceives everything effectively. Regardless of whether OCR doesn't get each letter, it is as yet a vital life hack, particularly for organizations and entrepreneurs.

Cons

Matching up can take some time , Unacceptable portable application, Average web cutting augmentation

Google Drive

Already had an account
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Take the first step to a cleaner, less cluttered life.

OneNote is one of the most popular note-taking apps on the market, and for good reason. It offers a robust feature set, a wide variety of integrations with other Microsoft services and web services, and it’s free.
The app has been around for years and received several updates over time.
However, OneNote’s biggest update in recent memory arrived in 2018 with the release of Microsoft 365 — an updated version of Office 365 that includes all the latest features from the company’s productivity suite. With this new version, OneNote got a makeover and now looks more modern than ever before. It also brought a lot of new features to the table that make it even better than before.

Pros

It gives you an easy way to keep all your notes in one place.
It’s available on every device, so you can access your notes no matter where you are.
You can organize your notes any way that makes sense to you—by topic, date or even tags, like #work or #personal.

Cons

Lack of Customization - It's not possible to customize any of your notes or notebooks in OneNote which can make it difficult if you want something more advanced than what it offers out of the box. Microsoft OneNote doesn't have any open APIs or integrations with third-party apps like Evernote does.

Jessica
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 14/10/2022

Powerful digital notebook for teachers and students

As mentioned, OneNote is an exceptional digital notebook resource for educators, making it easy to curate course materials, organize them into sections (or units), and share them with colleagues and students. The application is easy to use, and the onboarding learning curve is quite friendly - most of the features are intuitive. There are so many additional functions that more advanced users can explore to customize their notebooks. Especially with stylus functionality, OneNote replaces paper course materials as an interactive digital notebook that students can edit and keep forever without worrying about losing any paper. This has become an essential teaching tool for me as an educator and my preferred notetaking tool as a student.

Pros

OneNote is an amazing digital notebook for teachers and students. Teachers can create a living course workbook filled with learning resources, including diagrams, videos, and links to online sources. They can also create worksheets directly in OneNote or import an existing Word or PDF document into the notebook that students can edit. One of the best features of OneNote is how smoothly it works with tablets and tablet laptops. With a stylus, students can write and draw in their OneNote notebooks, making it feel like a paper notebook. OneNote also includes a suite of drawing tools that make it easy to draw and label diagrams and even graphs for math.
The Class Notebook add-in makes it an even more powerful tool for teachers to manage their classes. A teacher can quickly look into each of their students' notebooks to assess work and leave feedback. Students can sync their OneNote notebooks and receive feedback immediately.
With Teams, entire OneNote notebooks can be easily shared between colleagues, and collaboration is seamless.

Cons

The current OneNote desktop app no longer offers the ability to export pages as .one files, which makes it more difficult to send or attach individual pages. Rather, sharing can only be done through links, which sometimes run into challenges with sharing settings and others not being able to open the page. The inability to rename students at the teacher level also makes the "Review Work" function a bit less user-friendly when teachers try to mark them in alphabetical order. Finally, I would love to see more integration possibilities with other learning management systems.

Claude Real
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 06/10/2023

Good Notes taking tool but must be use carefully

Excellent note tool for personal use.

Pros

Great note taking tool with great features to personalize the note. Also the features to link the files to the notes is awesome. The tool as a great integration with Microsoft Teams.

Cons

There is so much features in that tool that using it in a company can create operation issues because some users have a tendancy of using it to almost replace word, excel and even sometime Planner and SharePoint list and create conflict in processes internally. If you allow access to use for users, I recommend that internal trainings and monitoring of the tool be applied.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft OneNote

I was on Apple iNotes and I switched only because I change my infratructure from Apple to Microsoft to reduce monthly cost and also because SharePoint and PowerPlatform offer more options than what Apple offers for the same price.
Prasath
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 10/05/2022

Microsoft One Note - A free Office 365 service

I like OneNote because it is an easy to use, and a free application. It allows me to organize my notes and save them in a way that I can access them any time and anywhere. For me, OneNote is perfect for my usage because it is easy to use, it is easy to organize notes in a way that I can find them any time and anywhere. I’ve been using One Note for a couple of years now, and I’m an avid user of it. I use it to manage my projects and ideas, keep track of tasks and projects, and even keep track of the tasks and projects I’m currently working on.

Pros

1.Microsoft One Note is a software package which enables individuals and organizations to create and share notes and diagrams. It is a simple, straightforward, powerful tool for recording important information.
2.It allows users to create individual notes, which can be attached to each other, to themselves or to websites. It also allows users to create digital flipbooks and create annotated PDF files.
3.It is a cloud-based notes program that has a focus on helping people to stay connected to their work even when they are away from their desk or desktop.
4.One note is a note taking application that is easy to use and very flexible. The application supports PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. This application is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
5.It is a free Office 365 service that makes it easy for you to create, organize, and share your ideas. It helps you take notes, brainstorm, and collect your thoughts with ideas that come to you anywhere, on any device.

Cons

1. The main disadvantage of using Microsoft One Note is that it can be difficult to use because of the way it is laid out. In order to find information, you need to scroll through the pages and pages of data.
2. It is difficult to share the content with the other users. As a result, the users have to re-enter the content which is very difficult and time-consuming.

Simone
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 30/06/2023

More than one way to use OneNote

OneNote has been an excellent app that I have utilized for notetaking at university, and continued to use to create school-wide documentation and teaching and learning materials. It is a fantastic platform whose benefits outweigh the minor challenges.

Pros

OneNote offers an organic tool to create and curate a curriculum for an educational setting. It allows a great amount of freedom for users, you can create layouts that are free-flowing and visually engaging, or more linear structured documents.

Cons

There are difficulties exporting or printing pages from OneNote; as there are no page lines, if you export a page as a .pdf file it usually does not fit traditional A4/A3 measurements. Also, there is a current shift from OneNote for Windows 10 to the original app, which has a significant impact on how OneNote appears to users.

Google Docs, OneDrive, Google Workspace and Google Drive
Mohd

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

A centralized location for all your notes

Currently, I used OneNote to organized my meeting's notes and to attach them into an email so it's easy for me to send it to my colleagues. This is sometimes very useful when you are in hurry and wanted to inform what are the points were discussed in the meeting. Secondly, it is also very convenient to use it on all the platforms whether I wanna use it on my phone or my computer. I am exploring more ways as this is a powerful tool and has very few limitations which make it value for money.

Pros

it gives you the ability to create your notes as you create on a physical notebook, moreover, this notebook can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. The most unique part of OneNote is you can add multimedia and create your documents as much presentable as want. These documents can also be shared with others like your friends or colleagues, it would make this software as a one-stop solution for most of the writing and editing of your notes. I used many older versions of OneNote and then after upgrading to new versions of OneNote I came to know that your older note will not get erased. you can also use OneNote app for your smartphones which makes easier to modify your changes or to view any documents on the go.

Cons

One thing I would ever want in OneNote is the integration between various platforms, Currently, Onenote allows you to create notes or documents to share it with only OneNote users, whereas if I want to share it with Evernote users it will not give me an option for that. Moreover, I can not even import Evernote's documents notes into OneNote or vice versa. There are other ways through which you can do it but for that one has to download a migration tool. The security is also one of the issues which I always take into consideration when creating any personal note where I wanted it to be encrypted with a password. There should be some ways into OneNote where you can have a personal space which can be used for those secure documents.

Tim
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 27/12/2023

OneNote Review

It has been a godsend as I need a way to preserve and organize hundreds of documents that were previously maintained by a coworker who was retiring. I stepped in as the new knowledge keeper of the department but needed a better way to make sense of years' worth of information. OneNote allowed me to hyper organize all of the documentation while taking things to an even more detailed approach.

Pros

This is an amazing way to maintain a knowledge base for my department in one convenient location instead of trying to keep track of countless documents.

Cons

There are several ways to own a notebook (cloud, local storage, etc.) so it can be confusing to end users when trying to identify where they notebook "lives".

• Industry: Medical Practice
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 03/08/2022

One Note Review

I’ve been using one note throughout my medical school journey. It has been a necessity with my note taking and studying regime. Can’t imagine my university life without it.

Pros

OneNote is easy to use and allows for easy documentation and filing for various notes. It’s appeal is that it actually closely resembles a digital notebook. This software allows for notes to be divided into sections which allow for the ease in note retrieval. I enjoy the ability to share and receive notes from other users as this enhances collaboration. This app is fantastic for organization as it allows for the creating of tables , the addition of pictures and embedding of videos.

Cons

My only qualm with OneNote is that when sharing, the files and documents are very choppy with some sync issues.