About EpicCare EMR

Epic Systems’ EpicCare is an electronic medical recording (EMR) solution for large hospitals and healthcare systems, certified for Meaningful Use Stages 1 and 2. EpicCare is developed, implemented and supported by an in-house...

Browse EpicCare EMR Reviews

Kyle W.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Possibilities are unlimited

I have been using EpicCare EMR for over 2 years not and there isn't much bad i can say about it. Compared to most other EMR software out there it is far ahead of its competition. It's simplistic yet versatile design has made everyday challenges much easier for both healthcare employees and its patients.

Pros

Epic is extremely versatile in its ability to provide a lot of functions to its users in the healthcare settings. With its new updates setting up orders for patients have never been easier. From medication reconciliation to appointment scheduling to its organization of encounters and medical history, there isn't much epic cannot due.

Cons

Customer support/service is not very receptive to user friendly changes that are requested when it comes to simple tasks that could be made easier by the input of a button or checkbox in certain areas.

Downtime for service is can also be problematic if it needs to be performed during work hours which has happened a few times.

Renee J.

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Epic is good!

What our practice is solving with Epic is the hunt for medical records and patient information. The switch has made it so we are more efficient with our patient care.

Pros

I like the ease of use. Everything is pretty self explanatory and using the software can cut down on time spent doing any one task. In our practice, we converted to share the EHR system with a local hospital and its practices, cutting down on any type of hunt for medical records

Cons

Yes, there is more than one way to do everything, but the process in which to get from point A to point B can be frustrating and long. A lot of clicking and doing things you may have already done before. If you know how to get around it, it can be easy, but those who struggle with technology might not find it as easy.

Rebekka P.

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Epic is... EPIC

I have used EPIC during several hospital rotations as a travel nurse. It's always a relief to know I'll have EPIC as it's the easiest computer system I have used.

Pros

Easy to use, quick charting that takes very little effort. Lab results with normal values are fantastic.

Cons

Orders can be difficult to read or find what you expect in the right place. "Expand all" should be default cause there can be a lot of hidden information!

Nick S.

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

The BEST EMR out there

Having used another EMR (in addition to paper charting), this is by far the best product out there. Navigating different clinical unit censuses and consult lists is simple (and you can customize what information is listed within these lists). Within the medical record, tabs make it easy to navigate between lab results, demographic information, and chart notes. It is quick and easy to do a chart review and, in fact, Epic denotes which notes are new since your last review of a patient's chart, so you don't have to spend time looking for new information. Flowsheets, templates, and free-text options make it easy to format information in the way that is appropriate for you or your department's practice. Flowsheets can also be tied to a particular note (and can be easily imported) so that you can see both from one screen. SmartTexts can also be created for phrases or data you use frequently so that you can utilize a shortcut rather than typing those things repeatedly. Reports can easily be created to pull data from patient lists and Epic does a great job customizing layouts that are best for your particular organization.

Pros

Best layout, easy to navigate, quick documentation

Cons

Epic is consistently working on new functionalities and layouts, and sometimes the implementation of new things with the EMR becomes laborious to relearn when there is little added benefit.

Reviewed on 31/10/2018

Epic review

Overall- I think it helps me deliver safe care to my patients. This platform allows me to accurately chart and organize my day to best serve the population in my hospital.

Pros

It allows for safe medication administration- links the drug info. right there with the medication and allows for user friendly charting. Plenty of flowsheets to chose from. Information that isn't helpful can be completed or hidden. Integrates with our devices to pull in vital signs and information about the patient. Also allows for communication between the interdisciplinary team connecting each other through messaging and allowing for contact information. There are a few ways to get to the same spot and I find the navigators are helpful.

Cons

Some charting/flowsheets are a bit redundant. Also, sometimes when flowsheets or sections of charting are hidden- it can be hard to find specifically where to reactivate it. I think it takes a while to get the right custom EPIC for your institution in place so there are tons of upgrades and learning curves with new versions.

Katalin M.

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

National Leader in EMR

Fantastic - I would choose this EMR over every other one I've worked with!

Pros

It is intuitive, easy to use, easy to teach new staff members, and the support has been stellar. Epic is a national, if not worldwide leader in EMR implementation. Their product is superior to other EMR products in use.

Cons

Some functionality is not obvious and when shared over several campuses, sometimes one campus will obtain the knowledge and it is not shared through the enterprise. This is certainly an enterprise issue, but Epic could send information blasts that help users learn the smaller details of the system, to be shared with all users, to take full advantage of the amazing product

Reviewed on 08/11/2019

Long time user/adminstrator

Pros

Epic offers endless features for end users. The system is excellent in preventing medical errors, ease of documentation, and overall efficient patient care.

Cons

Frequent, sometimes unnecessary, updates to the software. Difficult to elicit information from the organization sometimes

Tamieka G.

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

EPIC is one of the most popular EMR systems in Cincinnati.

Pros

EPIC is the system that the majority of hospitals and healthcare facilities use in our city. This is EXTREMELY beneficial because when we have patients that go to more than one site, the other site can access the patient's medical history and receive very important information. The electronic system allows for providers to communicate with each other without actually being on the phone or in person, and it allows for the providers to access records from multiple sites. This is very important for our organization because our providers serve patients at multiple locations.

Cons

This system has made communication easier for administration, providers, and other healthcare professionals so I have no complaints about EPIC.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Epic EMR Review

Overall, my favorite EMR system. I have no complaints about it and everyone loves it.

Pros

I LOVE Epic. In fact, everyone in my hospital loves Epic and we are actually shifting towards this system very soon. The reason is because there's less unnecessary clicking. Doctors HATE clicking. When you are in clinic with a patient, you want to write a note as quickly as you can because the focus is on the patient, not the computer. Epic minimizes that by organizing everything in a logical order (the tabs are great), and making the note itself like a "Word" document where you can free-text. Prescribing is a breeze and the tech support is excellent.

Cons

Some functions can be difficult to find and training takes two days at our hospital.

Alex E.

Reviewed on 12/08/2018

Epic EMR review!

Overall, Epic is the best EMR I've use to date and would love to see it used in more hospital settings.

Pros

I have seen both the business and user side of Epic. As a CNA, and nursing student, I have been using Epic for sometime. I love it. As someone who has also used other EMR services, I can say with confidence that Epic Systems is by far the easiest and most customizable. It does take time to navigate, but all EMR services do. Epic has great support, its easy to use, and has great customizable ability.

Cons

EpicCare EMR is pricey. A lot of hospitals don't use Epic for that exact reason. However, it is well worth the price.

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Amazing EMR with incredible functionality, if you know where to look

Pros

Epic is intense--it can house nearly any data point you want to throw at it. The capacity of information in the charts is wonderful. The best feature, I think, is the depth of the "dot phrases," they cut your note taking time into a fraction. The customer support is wonderful, quick, helpful and efficient. We are big proponents for Epic and the pros certainly outweigh the cons.

Cons

Epic is a great tool but it's not always easy find what you're looking for--you need to be in the right "context" and working through the chart in a specific way to find certain things.

Bill M.

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

EPIC is Beneficial

I used EpicCare EMR daily in patient care and management. It provides me a way to follow my patients accurately and with up to date information.

Pros

EPIC is great for documentation and order management. The ability to create smart phrases and texts create a more efficient clinical environment. Patient safety is enhanced with multiple prompts when placing orders.

Cons

It can be difficult to change an order and often I will need to cancel an order and replace it. It's difficult to view scanned media as it will close when you try to compare it to charted data.

Karlie D.

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Epic EMR for everyday use

I have used Epic on both the clinical side and admin side. There are so many reports that are available to help quality control, business management, and patient care.

Pros

There are so many features and shortcuts within Epic. I really like and utilize all of keyboard shortcuts to navigate between the clinical schedule, registration tab, and orders screens.

Cons

Wish that it would allow you to keep more than 4 open patients at a time. Don't need unlimited, or even think that would be a good idea for that matter, however I think adding a few would be a great addition.

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

EpicCare is Great!

Pros

I've been using EpicCare for four years. I love it. It is widely used in the state I work. It is very easy to use, and they are always updating. Epic now makes it easy to connect health EMRs throughout different hospitals and clinics.

Cons

Sometimes this software is difficult to start on computers. I will be in a patient's room and Epic won't start or it will take a long time. This gets very frustrating when I need to log into the chart to give patient meds or look something up in the room.

Rebecca M.

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Efficient and user friendly

Epic organizes my schedule and patient demographic information. I wish that my organization would also use it for medical charting but we use another product for that.

Pros

Epic offers a simple, intuitive, and visually appealing user interface. It organizes an abundance of information in an accessible manner.

Cons

It can be unclear at times what features are available to me, as opposed to what are restricted/only available to administrative staff (e.g., who can schedule on my patient schedule).

Starkisha F.

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

EPIC

Very user friendly, I really like that you can customize the look.

Pros

I really liked that it was easy to navigate and easy to find what I need for my patients. I like that you have to enter in certain information in order to move forward. The hard stops will make you more sufficient

Cons

I'll have to say that there's nothing that I didn't really like about it. But if I had to provide a con it'll be that it sometimes hard to see radiology images.

Shelley J.

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

Epic

Over all this is an excellent software for clinic or hospital based healthcare organizations.

Pros

Epic is easy to use once learned. Epic is adaptable to multi specialties. Also, epic is simple for the patient to use the health portal and easy to transfer patient information across healthcare systems.

Cons

The learning curve is extensive. Also, the multiple screens to obtain patient information or perform a task such as order sets is time consuming.

Larry S.

Reviewed on 19/02/2019

Ease to use once you learn how

Pros

Use this EMR in hospital rounding on and caring for post surgical patients. The ability to set up your own macros makes recurring notes/admission/orders easy. Also nice to be able to customize your own home page with only items you find necessary. It can be used remotely as well which makes finishing up work in the office easy.

Cons

Fairly big learning curve. Hopefully the customer support will help with everything regarding customizing your homepage. Even after attending training class, it took extra time the first few times rounding with this EMR.

Shakema J.

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Hospital swear by!

This software is helping my team organized and store valuable info that are within guidelines of HIPPA

Pros

This software is amazing! ..fun easy ways to find and store patient information.This software teaches and guide you through making it easier to locate patients and view charts.

Cons

It updates regularly which is not a bad thing but it also puts you behind in charting when the system is upgrading.

Jasmine R.

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

EPIC IS AMAZING

My overall experience is great- I wish I could still be working on and learning EPIC as an informatics graduate- but I'm working in CareLogic at the moment.

Pros

EPIC is complex but a good kind of complex. The system can do many things. I like that if one staff member is in a chart- it locks another out until they are no longer in the chart. This is very good. I like that it's easy to merge duplicate clients. The system is wonderful and easy to learn. Downtime procedures are simple once learned. :)

Cons

I don't not like anything about it. The system is great for all roles.

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

Top of the line

Pros

EPIC has been one of the best EMR systems I've used and meets the needs of each role I've encountered within the hospital. Reporting, reviewing charts, looking up information, etc. has all been extremely easy to use and saves a lot of time by having everything readily available.

Cons

Sometimes the reports don't run and I have to log out and log back into EPIC for the feed to refresh.

Audra W.

Reviewed on 12/09/2020

Easy to use documenation

It has really help with efficiencies in my documentation.

Pros

I absolutely love the smartphrases and how it pulls in so much information for me. Definitely increases my speed and efficiency with documentation.

Cons

It really takes awhile to build out your templates and create an easy work flow. Lots of work on the front end but it pays off in the end.

Karanda E.

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

EPIC

It is easy to continue care and review the chart of another patient if they visited another institution using EPIC.

Pros

I like that one database can house all patient information. No more bouncing back and forth between programs.

Cons

The downtime for upgrades are too frequent and too long. Imaging and lab results are not as fast during downtime, and delay care.

Sharneill S.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Epic Care for you

This system allows for all of your chartings to be in one place. You do not have to hunt for a chart and you don t have to be on the same floor if you are a doctor looking to document

Pros

I worked with this system in the hospital. It was very easy to use and understand. I was able to learn the system in a short period of time. The system calculates each patient and their information for you. You can create your own login unit for the units that you may be working that evening and you can always go back and retrieve your information

Cons

I think the only thing I dislike about the system is the fact that it way to busy. It has a lot of information on one page. For some that can be overwhelming

Ahmad A.

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

One of the best electronic health records out there

Pros

Easy to use graphical user interface. Remote and and mobile access are other advantages.

Cons

large software upgrades result in archiving old data, some of which may not be able to be found again. Also, the high number prompt windows can be annoying at times.