QuickBooks Online Reviews

About QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime. Used by over 7 million customers globally, QuickBooks provides smart tools for your business, yet is...

4.1

Kurt
Kurt

Reviewed on 14/03/2021

I Love the Access I have with Quickbooks Online

As I already said, I love the direct access to my numbers and the added reporting that has allowed me to better run my company by quickly getting insights I need. It's a lot easier for customers to pay online and I'm finding more and more of the moving that direction vs. sending in checks, so it's good that we are set up in this way now.

Pros

I started using desktop Quickbooks back in 2000 right after I first started the company. As a single-person company at first, I got used to being in the books almost every day. As we grew we added an in-house Bookkeeper. A few years ago I relocated the company to a different area and we kept our Bookkeeper who stayed in the original area. I really missed having direct access to the numbers so last year I switch to Quickbooks Online and I love it. In addition to having direct access to the numbers I need, it has a lot of other functionality and reporting that I really like. It's also great for clients to easily pay the invoices online. It's making a night and day difference. Support has been great as well.

Cons

It's definitely very expensive to be paying a pretty high fee every month - especially compared to the desktop version where we bought it and were good for years to come. It's definitely worth it but I'd be more of an evangelist if the pricing was a little easier on the pocket book.

Isabelle
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Much user-friendly than other programs I have used!

QBO is a game-changer for my accounting tasks.

Pros

I love the seamless use with my other accountant, the multi-user function is very useful. The payment processor is easy, well-known by customers so trustworthy. The tags, location, and other ways to categorize transactions is MEGA useful for reporting.

Cons

It is next to impossible to change something if the bank reconciliation is done, correcting a mistake at that point is not easy at all.

Jaqlyn
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 26/04/2024

Takes a bit to get used to, missing some features, but overall, adequate

Overall, it does what we need it to do. It is relatively easy to figure out, and some of the features are decent. The Quickbooks desktop version was much better, but they really make it financially not make sense to maintain the desktop version to push you to their online subscription-based model. It is lacking a lot of basic features that the desktop version had, it's incredibly buggy, and if you do not use their automated features (which are not foolproof and do not allow you to re-verify any discrepancies), it will leave you with obnoxious incomplete tasks that you cannot "complete" because you didn't use the automated feature. Those are our main complaints. Otherwise, it does everything it needs to. It is probably the biggest software on the market, so it tends to be most-often compatible with any other software you may use in your business. There are definitely good and bad things.

Pros

We primarily use QBO, as it is the software our accounting agency uses. We previously used the desktop version until QB rolled out a new pricing increase that made it exorbitantly pricey to maintain the desktop version. There is a lot about the online version that is great; the transaction matching, the customizable dashboard, the ability to have multiple users, etc. It is relatively intuitive if you are decent with software.

Cons

Quickbooks essentially pushes you out of the desktop version to the online, subscription-based model by pricing the Desktop version at a ridiculously high rate and making you pay for an additional yearly subscription, which was a huge frustration, as QBO lacks a lot of the features that the desktop version had. QBO wants you to do an automated version of payroll; however, you literally cannot let it be automated as it does not have the capability to automatically transfer overtime hours. It also lacks the ability to make payments out of deduction accounts; ie: if you offer something like life insurance deducted from your employee's checks, it does not automatically total that under the life insurance account as it did in the desktop version, you have to do all of this manually. A lot of things that were automated and smooth in the desktop version are completely manual in QBO, which is completely counter-intuitive. It is also really buggy. It shows us "tasks" that are overdue (like taxes for instance) that have been completed, and no matter how many times we mark them as complete, they just permanently exist as tasks (something QB has not fixed). Additionally, you cannot manually mark certain tasks as complete as QB wants you to do it through their automated services. For instance, we have an accountant review and put together our w-2's at the end of the year just to verify everything was entered correctly, that there are no issues, and verify that all of the taxes are correct. Because we have that done outside of QB's automated online delivery, this will apparently forever be a task that we have not completed.

Top QuickBooks Online Alternatives

Cody
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 17/02/2024

Easy to use and cheap

Incredibly easy to use as long as you don't need the helpdesk. Let's us do everything from timekeeping, to payroll, invoicing, taxes, expenses and reporting.

Pros

Price and ease of use. Quickbooks includes all the things we need to run our small business and costs less than what others cost just for payroll.

Cons

The helpdesk is completely useless. I've spent at least 100 hours in the last year to get issues resolved that end up not getting fixed, I fix it myself, or I knew what needed fixing and it took forever to get somebody to do it.

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Product functionality, capability, and ease of use
Kelvin

Reviewed on 04/05/2024

Quickbooks online at cfsk.

Pros

The software is cloud-based, allowing you to access it on multiple systems simultaneously using a single user ID. It is also compatible with mobile devices.

Cons

It is highly advantageous to me hence I have nothing to dislike about it.

Chad
Chad
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 17/04/2024

Useless Software and Support

Poor, very poor - After a week I could no longer send out invoices and their response was to download and send them manually ... 400 invoices ? The claim to be "working on the problem" but no feedback is ever recived

Pros

On sight it seemed quite easy to set up and use

Cons

After a week it stopped working and the support is non existent with txt book responses

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

I was told to by my accountant for Tax purposes

Zoho Books

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Pricing and functionality, but that said, the functionality I required, now does not work
Jacques
Jacques
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 07/05/2024

Ideal Accounting Solution For Startups

When starting, Quickbooks provided the fastest, most cost effective and easiest accounting solution.

Pros

Quickbooks Online is fast to set up and easy to use. Most accountants are familiar or prefer Quickbooks.

Cons

Quickbooks rely on 3rd party solutions to expand their solution, which adds additional costs and split the support between various parties.

Sage Accounting
Alicia

Reviewed on 07/05/2024

The best option for small business owners

Pros

I have used Quickbooks online for 15+ years in various industries and it never ceases to amaze me how easy this software is to use. I’m not a CPA or a professional bookkeeper but Quickbooks online makes it so simple for me to find exactly what I need and to keep my finances organized so I know how I’m spending money.

Cons

They change things frequently but I know that it is so that they can ensure that their software is actually user friendly. So, while I might have to get out of my comfort zone for a little while, it is overall typically a change that is worth the effort.

Milton
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

QuickBooks Online Insight

Pros

I use QuickBooks Online on a daily basis and I like how it enables me to create, customize and send invoices and matching them eradicate discrepancies.

Cons

All has been well with me when using QuickBooks Online.

Reviewed on 08/05/2024

QuickBooks Online is a must have

I've been using it for several years for my real estate and vacation rental management businesses, and it's been a great experience so far.

Pros

The interface is very easy to use. I mostly use it to track expenses and create invoices. I use TurboTax, and the integration is seamless.

Cons

It is very easy to accidentally duplicate accounts if you are subscribing with a special offer from TurboTax.

Gloria
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

Perfect for small business

Quickbooks is great because I don't have a pile of receipts to type in. I can upload my transactions directly from my bank and code them as they are uploaded. I use it for tracking income and expenses, sending invoices and running reports. I love the payroll function which saves me money because I don't have to pay the accountant to file my tax documents.

Pros

I like being able to use the online service where I can log in anywhere I have internet access. This gives me the option to work remotely.

Cons

The banking function is good, but it takes several days to sync up to my online banking balance (doesn't show charges until they are posting, and doesnt download pending ones)

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

My accountant suggested I use Quickbooks because they have capability to file state and federal forms.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

It was a great all in one product at a price that fit my budget

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Gloria. We know managing a business doesn't always happen behind a desk. It's great to hear you've been able to easily complete accounting tasks while on the go. You can count on us to have your back for years to come! To find out more about updating your bank feeds in QuickBooks, we recommend this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/change-bank-account/how-to-manually-update-bank-accounts/00/186436

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 05/11/2019
Peter

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

Using QBO

The benefit we have is that we can work with our clients on their accounts without having to go to their office or for them to drop a laptop into us. This means we can keep an eye on the accounts and provide assistance as and when it is required.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the software is quick to set up for a new business. The support and help features are very good - this is something that many suppliers fall down on badly. QBO has features for businesses of all sizes so as they grow and analysis of the accounts becomes more important the tools are there, ready and waiting. The recent update of the VAT accounting to handle VAT in Ireland is a game changer. We have been very impressed with the data conversion facility to import records from Quickbooks desktop software to QBO. Finally, being an online product means the software is always up to date, there is a proper back up of the records and 24/7 access to the accounts are all key benefits.

Cons

For a small or new business with no familiarity with accounting the initial interface can be daunting. There are a lot of terms to become familiar with.

Sage 50cloud Accounting, Big Red Cloud and Xero

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

We believe QBO is a good option for larger and growing businesses because of the more sophisticated features it offers over, say, SURF or Big Red Cloud. The fact that Intuit is a very large company gives users comfort in terms of support and future development of the software.
Bryant

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

Makes my job a ton easier

I like Quickbooks. The company name does make sense... you do everything quickly lol. I haven't had a single issue other than the invoicing problem. I did spend more than enough time with their customer service which was a pain in the butt but the rep was really friendly and helped me get it sorted out. If I could recommend Quickbooks to a new or seasoned business owner, I definitely will! It looks expensive and hard to learn but honestly, it's much easier to navigate than it looks!

Pros

I was hesitant at first since I didn't want to go the everything electronic route. My wife was doing all of the tax stuff so I just gave her the okay and made the purchase. I now do everything minus invoicing through Quickbooks. Everything is streamlined for me and I realized how much time I was truly losing by doing everything through Excel and calculating by hand. My wow moment was watching my time being cut in half literally by just snapping a photo of a receipt after connecting my bank account then adding details on the purchase... that's it!

Cons

Now... the invoicing part I'm just not fond of. There was an error with a payment and Quickbooks kept kicking back a payment a client had made. I ended up just going through Paypal Business and setting up my invoices through there and attached my Paypal account to Quickbooks to make things easier on myself. If invoicing was different, I would be 100% with Quickbooks.

karie

Reviewed on 08/11/2022

QBO Accountant

Overall, I am happy with the product. they also have live chat now, and they can call you if you need to talk to someone. Customer service definitely is great improvement over the years. It is big for me because I refuse to work with any software company that I cannot talk to anyone (hint hint Zenefits). And most of the time they get it resolved over the chat. Recommended

Pros

Love the bank matching function, makes the bank reconciliation 10x better if you do it right. It's very easy to navigate the system, for beginners, it's the easiest system I used so far for them to pick up. Make sure if you set up, you don't use the simple cheapest version if you own a business tho, it's cheaper but the reporting is not as good as essential and above. I have implemented qbo for all my small clients that doesn't need a big system for POs

Cons

I have mixed feeling about the auto categorization, some bookkeepers gets lazy and thinks it's correct and just click add, which half of the time can be wrong especially when it comes to use project and classes. it's a great function to make our lives easier, but also makes people lazier. I made sure to train my employees to not get lazy and check every transaction

Mint and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Xero is not as easy as QBO also all my clients are using QBO

Reporting and user experience

Reviewed on 10/01/2023

Great product for in-house or outsourced bookkeeping

I use the software every day for hundreds of clients across the country. Intuit is constantly working to improve the app and they are definitely the best company partner I have had.

Pros

Fast, Secure, Easy to use software with a lot of features.

Cons

It would be great to set default views of columns / headings on the basic GL report, or Profit & Loss - example to show debit and credit columns separately by default.

Sage 50cloud Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Technological advantage with QuickBooks' ability to integrate other cloud-based applications. No more worry about computer damages, upgrades, hard drives, etc.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Ease of use for both client and bookkeeper
Jaydra

Reviewed on 19/03/2023

It mostly does with you need with only minor annoyances

Overall, it's a great product to create and send invoices, manage the bookkeeping and accounting for the company, and run payroll. As long as we don't ask it to talk to other apps, it does a pretty good job.

Pros

The ability to access my company books from anywhere I can connect to the internet is very valuable. It's easy to invite the bookkeeper and the tax preparer to access the company books, and it's great to be able to give them access without having to create them log-ins like other staff.

Cons

Most of the integration features don't work well. QBO as an independent accounting product works very well, and the bank feed connection works fairly well. Every other integration (like Quickbooks Time) is buggy and fails occasionally causing extra work to fix duplicates and add missing entries.

Wave

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

We switched from Desktop to have the ability to access our books from anywhere with an internet connection.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

QBO is a more accounting-fluent product than Wave. Wave groups things together in ways that are not helpful from an accounting perspective. QBO allows a greater degree of granular data, which is important.
Lisa

Reviewed on 12/10/2023

Excellent reporting and automation

I've been a user of Quickbooks products since 2003. It has been great. Prior to that I was struggling with Sage. I used Sage for 3 years and Sage payroll. But when I discovered Quickbooks, to me, it lived up to its name... it was quick to do the books... I've done their training, I've an advanced certified pro advisor and user and the company has treated me (I feel) as a client user extremely well over the years.

Pros

Auto invoicing, payroll module that's integrated, sending out reports automatically, great customer service and supportive software provider. Receipt capture (although not every sophisticated) still does the job.

Cons

What I'm struggling with is this new tax feature, to then be able to file year end accounts, but once I've grasped it... I think it'll be a game changer for how I do business. The process will be quicker, which'll free up my time.

Terry
Terry

Reviewed on 06/11/2021

Accounting at your fingertips anywere

My experience with Quickbooks online has been mostly positive. I find the best thing is that I can just pull up the software on the web, or in the app on my phone and take care of business while I am out on the road doing service calls.

Pros

I like that I can access my information while I am out on the road. It's also a bonus that it integrates with my ticking software so that I can just export the information from that and it syncs right into Quickbooks online. I also depend on the ability to input and scan expense receipts so that I don't have to do it when I get home.

Cons

The price is a little hard to swallow when coming from the desktop version of Quickbooks for so many years. Also there are some features that is in the Desktop version that hasn't been implemented yet.

FreshBooks and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

I made the switch to Quickbooks online to help with not having to come back to the office after a long day and still have to input stuff into the desktop software. Now I can just go home with peace that the information is already there.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

I chose Quickbooks Online over the alternatives because it was supported by my other software as well as I was familiar with Quickbooks desktop already.

Response from Intuit

Hey there, Terry!

We deeply appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we're so glad to hear that transitioning to QuickBooks Online has helped simplify your daily work-flow!

If you need anything or have questions in the future, feel free to get in touch through the Help (?) icon in-account. You can also reach out through our QB Community: (quickbooks.intuit.com/community) Or on our Social Media pages for support as well!

All the best!

-Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 11/11/2021

Reviewed on 02/03/2023

If you have < 10 EEs and need time billing, there are better options

Overall, it's the best thing out there. Unfortunately, Intuit works tirelessly to increase the revenue they get from each customer. Not by adding functionality; but by deprecating features and moving them to higher tiers of the product.

Pros

QBO was wonderful prior to their acquiring TSheets, and deprecating their built-in time tracking. If you don't do time-billing, then QBO is still great.

Cons

As of this review - 2 years after they acquired T-sheets; the level of integration is very poor. Instead of waiting to introduce the product after the integration is finished, Intuit chose to deprecate a very nicely defined time billing feature and replace it with something that requires a lot more work. You cannot see the status of your billables until you review and approve the hours in t-sheets; and then export it to QBO. If you want to see a tabular summary of the billable hours in T-sheets, the only option is to export to csv! Your QBO dashboard only shows what has been approved and exported from T-sheets. The entire process is extremely cumbersome, kludgy, and frustrating. And - did I mention you have to pay more to be able to allow your employees to enter their time. That used to be included in the price. Also - beware, Intuit regularly increases the cost of using the product. It's now double what I started with. They play a shell game with repackaging by deprecating features from the current version to drive you to the more expensive version.

Angela

Reviewed on 27/01/2022

On the expensive side for small entrepreneurs

Overall, Quickbooks Online had the items I needed, but their recent software and price changes have pushed me into a version that lacks what I need and leaves me with unnecessary, bloated accessories. There aren't many options out there that sync as well with online shops. QBO should consider allowing a small inventory and budgeting option for the less expensive versions and listen to their customer's concerns more.

Pros

I appreciate the easy connectivity with apps so I can connect my e-commerce shop. The layout makes the difficult task of financial management not seem so overwhelming. Reconciling with my banks is convenient and matches my transactions well. I also depended on it to aid me in tracking sales tax.

Cons

The software's selection of options with each plan is ridiculous. I started with the Plus version to keep track of a small amount of inventory, although most of the products I sell are POD. I also appreciated the budgeting aspect. They started adding extras such as mile-tracking, and now they sync with Mailchimp, but I already have a cheaper mile-tracking app for my business and sync with Mailchimp through my website. During the pandemic, they increased their prices (horrible timing for small businesses) and forced me to scale down to the Simple Start version. This version doesn't have the inventory function or budgeting (something that should be standard across the board).

To make matters worse, for the six years that I have been using the program, they have yet to fix an issue with the sales tax part, specifically modifying the start of a sales tax calendar. This issue has caused headaches for me every year, and no one will address it when I, and many others, bring it up.

Zoho Books, FreshBooks and Xero
Mohammad Ismail
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 28/09/2022

The Accounting SoftWare for a Medium Business Enterprise

5 Stars Excellence

Pros

1. Quickbook is a Friendly Software and easy to understand and easy to use for daily tasking activities.
2. It Contains PROJECTS thar will help you organized your Contracts and Project undertaken, it will give you the calculation of profits and Earnings, You will determine too your looses on its projects and will help you understand how did you lost for a certain projects.
3. QB helps you to organized your Business Intruments, such as Purchase Order Issuance, Delivery Note issuance, You can make Sales Order Acknowledget for new Orders you received from each Customers.
4. And Since it is an Accounting Software it will help you to Organized almost everything a Big Company needs to records such as making Journal entries, Creating Chart of Accounts, Organizing Products Inventory, Creating Product Entries for Pricing purposes, It will Records the Cost of Sales and Cost of Purchase.
5. For Contracts Services it will help you calculate the Manhour Cost of each Employees reporting to complete thier Jobs in a Certain Contracts or Jobs Undertaken that requires a specific Project Completion.
6. Quick is Superb and Easy to use, and it is also inter-active as if you are talking to live person because it contains an Artificial Intelligence to remind you that a certain transaction had been duplicated for example and when you need to amend something inside the System it will automatically ask you if you wanted to continue & retains attachments in your file, Recurrence Tasks is available too

Cons

1. Online Traffic only, Needs to restart

Devon

Reviewed on 28/07/2023

Horrible Updates!

I used to say I "love" QuickBooks. Now it's safe to say I "hate" it. I have considered switching software systems and taking all my clients elsewhere. I keep saying that if QuickBooks wants to migrate users from Desktop, they need to make Online more like Desktop. That couldn't be further from the changes they're making. Do they make these changes without holding focus groups? Honestly, do you even care about your users anymore?

Pros

I love the ease of signing on to QuickBooks Online from anywhere. My clients email me questions and I can answer them right away. I can also work from anywhere, which is great!

Cons

Recently (2023), QuickBooks Online development team have been making a lot of physical changes to the program that are HORRIBLE! I hate every change they've made this year. You can tell the developers do not use the program on a daily basis. And worse yet, when they implement a change, it glitches terribly and it takes them months to fix it. A lot of the changes make it harder to do my job by adding steps/clicks to performing tasks that weren't there before. A lot of the windows are also not seemless/ aligned like they used to be - not everything is lined up on the same gridline. Most people use the program on their laptops and you can tell they're making it more for desktop in that the pages are too wide/big and don't fit on your computer screen. However, when I use the program on my desktop screen, I have the same issues. There are boxes where there didn't used to be and don't need to be. It makes me feel like they're going backwards in technology and not forward. A lot of the features are not Intuitive... as the name suggests they should be.

kaitlyn
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 19/01/2024

Customer Service is TERRIBLE!

It has been absolutely terrible using QB. I would never recommend any small business to use Quickbooks ever.

Pros

Mainly the only reason I use QB is because it's affordable and it's the main platform my bookkeepers work off of.

Cons

I've used Quickbooks for a few years now and it's a constant let down of disappointment. As long as everything is running smooth, it's okay. But the second there's any issue, plan on at least a month of trying to get it resolved. It's blows my mind and I don't know how much longer I can keep using Quickbooks. One senario that was insane and I could've sued QB for was: I had a new wholesale retailer use a fraudulent card. I did my due diligence and the order went as usual, per my other wholesale retailers. The package got shipped and about two months later, QB reached out and says the payment is fraudulent and they're reversing $8k out of my account. I run a small business so this wasn't possible for me. At one point of one of 50 calls I made, one of the QB employees suggested I close my account, close my bank account and try to escape from paying this. I knew it would just go to collections though. They ended up taking every last cent back from me with a payment plan. The second senario I recently delt with was changing my bank account number on QB. I had a fraudulent login to my bank and had to switch my account number. I also had payroll I had to push through in two days when this happend and I pushed it through immediately hoping it would work even with my bank on hold. Right after I updated QB with the new bank account number, it took 5 days to verify it. QB kept displaying a message that my account is placed on a hold. I called QB and they said I owed them money for payroll since it never went through my bank account but QB paid my employees. I ended up doing a wire transfer because I was told that the hold would be lifted the next day if I did that. I did not.. I called again and they said they needed to submit an order to lift the hold. The lady I spoke with reassured me over and over that it would take 2 business days for it to actually come off. It didn't... I called again and they gave me a number to talk to payroll specialists to take the hold off. I called the number over and over again and it said they are closed due to being in a meeting. It's now been over two weeks at this point and with no resolution for the simplest problem. And I still can't submit payroll that's overdue and have to submit payroll in another week, which I doubt this problem will actually be fixed by. Overall, I can't stand Quickbooks and if you run into any small or big issues, it truly doesn't feel like you get genuine help.

Cornelius

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

Buyer Beware

The online version is a decent product but I am sure there are other online accounting software packages that provide the same or much more. Dealing with the online accountant customer service department is a total waste of time. Their management team seems to be concerned with their numbers more than customer appreciation. Terrrrrible! My advice: "Buyer beware!"

Pros

The ability to assign classes in creating rules for the electronic bank transaction imports. The desktop version does not offer that function. It's sad because I know that if the QuickBooks Online software code writers can create that functionality in the online version, then they certainly should be able to create that functionality for the desktop versions which most subscribers have been using for decades now.

Cons

The unexpected price hikes on your account without formal notification or fair warning. Quickbooks has probably been the worst software vendor in that they always find a way to raise your rates by using creative and deceptive means such as switching online account holders and their client accounts to the Advanced Online version as a trial run without the account holders authorization. They leave the burden on the account holder to cancel the Advanced version trail for each of their online client accounts, which most account holders are not even aware that their clients have been switched. Terrrrrible! I'm sure there are laws that prohibit this type of deceptive behavior. Currently I am switching most of my clients back to the desktop versions until I can find an alternative Accounting software that my clients and I can appreciate.

Paula
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 26/06/2017

Fine except payroll and reports

I feel that the support staff have been placed in a bad position because the software is still so buggy. They should not have released payroll until it was ready and the sales team needs to better set expectations. The support staff can only do so much with buggy software. In addition, the engineering team needs to be properly staffed to resolve critical bugs in a reasonable time frame. Over 1 month is unacceptable for a severe bug that is preventing use of the payroll module for more than one customer. I was torn between giving the software 2 or 3 stars because of the pros above but I think they should understand that they can't push out poor quality, incomplete modules to try to compete in the online market and not properly set expectations. There are good alternatives at this point.

Pros

Seamless integration with other software, electronic billing and payments, banking download and matching

Cons

Payroll is a disaster and payroll reports are really bad. I noticed that most reviews on here do not mention payroll and I'm sure that's because many don't have this functionality enabled. I feel that QBO is trying to push users toward their full service payroll service by not focusing their attention on this module. It is an absolute mess. First of all, there is no integration between QBDT and QBO payroll modules. The data does not transfer from one to the other well at all. What does transfer is very incomplete or incorrect data. The manual data entry required is tedious and very bug-filled so it doesn't work correctly and requires chat or call-ins to the support line to complete. The functionality does not allow for customization of the posting of deductions and causes a lot of manual follow-up work from payroll that is completely unnecessary and which didn't exist in QBDT. In addition, they have many more bugs once in "operation" and some are severe and some are minor but annoying. The severe make it so that I have not actually been able to run payroll in QBO yet though we switched on 5/19/17. I had to run two payrolls in QBDT so far and then manually reproduce them in QBO. That is pretty severe in my opinion but still no resolution from their team. I did get them to credit me the fees for the month. Others such as the Total Pay column being nonsensical and not matching the total of the Gross Wages plus other compensation are just really annoying. The fact that you can't customize payroll reports AT ALL is maddening.

In addition to the above, there is an extremely annoying issue for nonprofits. If you select Nonprofit 501c3 as the type, you have to use "Pledges" as your terminology. You can't use "Invoices". I have worked around this by selecting Other/Not Sure as my type but it requires me to change it back whenever I set up a new employee in order to allow designating them as exempt from FUTA. So far, it seems to hold the exemption when switching it back to "Other". However, since I haven't been able to run a real payroll run yet, we will see. Many nonprofits don't utilize pledges and though you can customize the forms to read Invoice in the email, you can't change the language appearing on the Sales module and attached pdf invoices auto-name as Pledge #X when sending to customers.