Twilio Reviews

About Twilio

Twilio is the worlds leading cloud communications platform that enables businesses to build, scale, and operate their own customized communication solutions. The platform is designed to be customizable and easy to use, which...

4.2
4.1

Browse Twilio Reviews

Renan
Renan

Reviewed on 19/05/2019

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications.
It is so flexible,
Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid.
The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things.
So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS).
The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage.
I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services.
And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed.
I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 18/08/2023

Can do everything, for all businesses but with a steep learning curve...

Twilio handles all the inbound calls for my website. I ported a vanity 800 number from a another provider to Twilio and after a quite lengthy setup process that involved lots of customer service calls it was up and running. After that you can pretty much leave it or do some minor changes relatively easy. Now when customers call they can choose from an option tree to troubleshoot their issue or they can choose to talk to an agent (me) and if it's during business hours the call gets forwarded to my cell, if outside of business hours they get my voicemail. Works great! I also have it embedded in my website for a chat option that more people actually use.

Pros

Twilio has every option under the sun, there's nothing call center related that they can't do for you. You could set up automated systems to perform mundane tasks for you, record and inscribe all your calls and even have a call center set up to help troubleshoot issues and direct calls. You can get add-ons from GitHub, integrate into your website especially Shopify and answer calls with a number that you can bring with you or they provide straight to your cell phone. We're talking local numbers and 800 numbers even though you may have to pay extra.

Cons

Very steep learning curve. There are so many options and so many ways to use this service including third party apps that you could get confused quite easily. Also their 2FA process is tedious which if you're not careful could result in you losing your number.

Reasons for Choosing Twilio

As a student I received a free trial from GitHub and I really liked how many options and integrations Twilio has.

Grasshopper

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

They bill by usage so in many ways they are a cheaper option. Plus if your needing to use Twilio on a computer they are the absolute best. And they have a whole marketplace of third party apps that can compliment this service immensely.
Rory

Reviewed on 07/07/2024

If I could give 0 I would

We were scammed with sms fraud to the tune of 2000USD. Eventually they refunded us. However 2 months later they canceled our account because of a bank charge back which we had cancelled. They basically threw our business under the bus. No one could sign up to our service for days. If you want to lose your clients and damage your business use twilio.

Pros

Nothing, they will through your business under the bus.

Cons

Highly unprofessional and don’t care about your business.

Top Twilio Alternatives

Ewa

Reviewed on 05/05/2024

My Remarkable Journey with Twilio.

It is possible to connect and communicate with our customers in real-time with Twilio.

Pros

I'm delighted to use Twilio because it increases customers engagement and interaction in real-time.It is simple to send and receive text or SMS messages with Twilio.It is simple and fast to make and receive phone voice calls with Twilio.

Cons

When having unstable internet connectivity,I find it difficult to make or receive phone calls with Twilio.

Aseel

Reviewed on 11/05/2023

Egypt

I benefited a lot from the application, as it provided me with many functions and capabilities that helped me greatly in performing the work and presented it to me smoothly, quickly and concisely in one place, many benefits in the success of the work and the communication process, I was able to see the workflow, control it and follow it up, and I solved Many of the problems with the application that some employees made with some customers, and I dealt with these problems quickly and amicably. I realized many facts and reached many information and benefits..

Pros

I found many advantages of making voice calls and sending text messages through the application and using them in the performance of the company's work, so that the application has become an indispensable main reference in life Daily and practical, I found integration in job performance in a very large way and it provided me with many things and benefits in performing work and controlling it, communicating with customers, suppliers and employees, monitoring them and their performance, knowing the desires and needs of customers, voice mail service, call recording, and many, many features in this application .

Cons

It has an easy, simple, practical interface that all groups can use and benefit from in a smooth and uncomplicated manner. It has advantages when the internet is cut off or the network is weak. I found integration in the performance of the current practical work and doing it to the fullest by means of this application, but it contains something that I think it lacks, which is the support of the Arabic language Some customers face a problem because of the availability of the language only, and we hope that the application will pay attention to this point and focus on it.

CloudTalk

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Because of its speed and provision of integration in functionality and ease of use and benefit from all its services.
Pius
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 07/05/2022

Twilio

Twilio helps me send transactional SMS messages to my users, which is its important role for my business and it nails this. However, to get more out of it, I use it for marketing to certain user segments as well and it performs brilliantly. Overall, I am happy with Twilio.

Pros

Twilio easily integrates with multiple 3rd party services out there. With a simple Zap in Zapier, you can build multiple workflows that trigger operations on your Twilio accounts such as sending out mass SMS or transactional SMS to customers.
Twilio has exceptional deliverability in so many countries around the world. So no matter where your recipient is, Twilio can pretty much reach them.

Cons

Twilio has a steep learning curve if you do intend to get the most out of the products. You can cover a lot with simple API and Zapier, but to get the most from it using "Programmable Communications" needs some level of expertise. And this is where Twilio really showcases its powers. Unfortunately without a certain level of expertise, you will not get to that. Personally, as a NoCode builder, to overcome this I had to hire an expert to help me get the most out of Twilio.

Bird

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Twilio was much easier to integrate with my existing stack of Bubble, Zapier, and Airtable.
Ed

Reviewed on 07/05/2022

Affordable 1:1 SMS messaging that natively integrates with Chili Piper and Marketo Engage

Experience has been positive and great

Pros

Extremely affordable option to send 1:1 SMS meeting reminders in conjunction with Chili Piper and increase show rates to hard earned appointments set by our sales reps as well as send 1:1 SMS marketing messages via Marketo Engage

Cons

Doesn't have 2-way, bi-directional texting capabilities when a prospects responds via text to either our meeting reminders or marketing messages

Jive

Reasons for Choosing Twilio

Skipio is a subscription-based Texting-CRM platform with a substantial monthly commitment

Skipio

Pricing commitment
Kristen

Reviewed on 08/09/2022

Twilio has become a backbone for my work structure! Couldn’t live without it.

Fantastic! I have really become to rely on it. I do wish that building some of the things inside of the Twilio platform was a little simpler for me. Although they do have really great guides for everything to help me get what I want done

Pros

Twilio is so dependable and versatile and I am extremely happy with it! It has become a main structure of my work flows from marketing text messages, call forwarding and everything communication. Twilio basically does everything. You can build anything you can think of inside the Twilio platform. It blows my mind what it is capable of. I feel like the only limit to what I can create with Twilio is my intelligence.

Cons

I like everything about Twilio. I have been using it forever and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon

Zadarma

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

So many reasons. I actually still use zadarma but that’s only because I haven’t taken the time to port out my phone number.
Julien
Julien

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Amazing powers - not for anyone

We did our transfer from Dialpad to Twilio after seeing the price difference + all the missing options (automation and integration) Dialup was missing. We faced a huge issue when we realized we had to code our own phone system to be able to receive or send sms and calls. Happened at a moment where the firm didn't have the time to read the 3000 pages tutorial offered on Twilio. Our transfer made our whole phone system out of service for 3 weeks. We finally found other companies offering what Twilio should offer : a basic interface to the basic needs of a phone number (call + sms). This workaround finally made the deal much less advantageous than expected. We now pay almost the same price as we were paying with Dialpad, for a less powerful interface.. until we have the time to focus on building our own app to use it.

Pros

Twilio can do absolutely everything you need to do with a phone number. Automate, Record, SMS, Call, Chatbot, Integrations, Number verification.

Cons

Very complex to setup. You absolutely NEED to know how to code. No easy user software available to simply use your number from day 1.

Dialpad and CallHippo

Reasons for Choosing Twilio

For all the added functionalities offered on Twilio (automation + integrations) and the much lower cost.

Dialpad

Brian

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

Twilio SMS and Studio are fantastic

Pros

The API was easy to use, well documented, and accurate (to the documentation provided). I was up and running with a programmatic call to Twilio to send text messages from my application within 15 minutes. Twilio Studio and flows provide a great user experience that puts a lot of power into a non-developers hands for managing communication and escalation. Example flows give you just about everything you would need to get started building your own flow.

Cons

Certain aspects, like accounts, sub-accounts, and management can only be done using the API. These are minor and usually one and done (so they could be done with tool like Postman or SOAPUI).

msg91

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Studio and Flows of Twilio, prior experience using Twilio for phone number verification.
Efezino
Efezino
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

Dependable

Overall, however, Twilio is a solid choice for businesses and organizations looking for a comprehensive communications platform. From a developer's perspective, it is one of the simplest solutions to integrate with.

Pros

Twilio is a powerful and effective communications platform that allows businesses and organizations to easily integrate voice, video, messaging, and other forms of communication into their systems and applications. Some of the key benefits of using Twilio include:Flexibility: Twilio provides a range of different APIs and tools that can be easily integrated into a variety of different platforms and applications. This allows organizations to use Twilio in a way that best fits their needs and requirements.Scalability: Twilio is designed to handle high volumes of traffic, making it a good choice for organizations that need to send or receive large numbers of communications on a regular basis. The service can easily be scaled up or down to meet changing needs.Features: Twilio offers a range of advanced features, including tracking and analytics, voice recognition, and integration with other tools and services. These features can help organizations optimize their communications and improve their overall effectiveness.

Cons

Despite its many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to consider when using Twilio. For example, the cost of the service can be a barrier for some organizations, and the advanced features may not be necessary for all users. Additionally, the service may require some technical expertise to set up and use effectively.

• Industry: Program Development

Reviewed on 24/01/2023

Unlock the full potential of your communication and messaging with Twilio

Twilio is a powerful and flexible communication and messaging platform that offers a wide range of features and services, including SMS, MMS, voice messaging, video and voice calling, and its ease of integration with other tools and platforms. allows me to easily add messaging, calling, and other features to their web and mobile applications.

Pros

the ease of use, the cost-effectiveness, and the support resources, and it offers a wide range of pre-built connectors, SDKs, and libraries that make it easy to integrate with popular languages and frameworks such as Java, Python, Ruby, and JavaScript. Additionally, Twilio's API makes it easy to integrate its services into your web or mobile applications.

Cons

Twilio is a powerful platform for communication and messaging but it can be challenging for those without technical expertise to fully utilize its capabilities, it may require hiring an expert to fully unlock the platform's features. Despite this, those who master it will find it is a powerful and versatile solution.

Reviewed on 28/06/2020

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting.

We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes

* * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets

* Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions

* They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes).

There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons

* the login process can be annoying
* help sometime takes longer than 24 hours
* configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first
* not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

Leifur

Reviewed on 07/09/2023

Could be really great, and it sounds great, but its really not

Twilio is a disaster of a product, and I would never ever use it again, it randomly stopped working and I got a Forbidden error that really had no documentation to explain why it was happening. When I contacted customer support they told me that it was because Twilio no longer offered email verification for free users. Well, they could have at least sent an email out telling everyone that. I would be forced to buy their tiered plan, switch services, or set up my own verification which sucks but at least tell your users that you're making these changes right?

Pros

It had a high number of emails you could send for free every day

Cons

They had a sprawling system that required like four api keys just to set up and integration between multiple products with little to no to innacurate documentation. First you have to have a SendGrid account and set up an API Key (first key in .env) , then you have to make an email template which is very hard to do because they have a lot of bugs with that whole system and its rather confusing as well, especially in regards to trying to actually write your own code for how it looks . Then you go to Twilio and get your Auth Token (second .env) and create a Service that has its own token (third .env) , then you integrate that with your sendGrid Template and I forgot where exatly but there some fourth token you need. It's ridiculously complicated and poorly set up, and the documentation doesn't really tell you how to code it, the page that tells you how to send emails has code examples for sending text messages so that's unhelpful. It took me several hours to figure out how it all works and get it set up for automatic emailing. When I switched to Courier it took my literally 15 minutes to do the exact same thing. They had great documentation, a wonderful easy to use website, and just one API key. Don't use Twilio, it's trash, try Courier.

Josip
Josip
  • Industry: Sports
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 01/09/2022

Start sending SMS programmatically with just a few lines of code

Pros

Twilio is superior when it comes to SMS delivery so I will share my experience with that since I use only SMS services but bear in mind that Twilio is much more than just SMS.
Twilio delivers messages fast and reliable all around the globe for a very competitive price. It usually takes just a few seconds to deliver the message. With Twilio, you don't even need to buy a phone number since you can send messages from an alphanumeric ID. You just need to make sure that this is legal in your country and take an additional registration step if required by law. Choosing the phone number from which you will send a message is sometimes a better solution since you can then also receive messages and for example, receive messages for unsubscribing the customer from your SMS marketing platform.
What I particularly like about Twilio is their offer for Non Profit organizations. They are willing to credit your account with 500$ if you are a registered Non-Profit and that is amazing! I don't know of any other company that gives such big credits for free and that speaks that company is led by managers who certainly have a great vision which is not only to make a profit but help people by providing easy use service. Their API is amazing! Documentation is full of examples and a lot of programming languages are supported out of the box. Their API services are not just developer focussed and overall complete service is so easy to use that I don't know why I haven't been using it much before.

Cons

Twilio dashboard is not the best experience and I don't like it even though it received a redesign recently. It feels kinda outdated and it isn't optimized for mobile devices what I found kinda alerting for 2022. Although you won't be using it on your mobile phone primarily, it is nice if you could check the error log fast on the go if a lot of them start popping out and alerting you on channels you set.

Chirag
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Reviewed on 17/02/2020

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Lacie

Reviewed on 27/04/2022

Twilio integration

Our overall experience with Twilio has been great. The set up and implementation of Twilio in our office was extremely easy and we haven't experienced any issues using Twilio so far. I like that there's a specific phone # attached that looks like it's form our area code and office. Our patients can text us at any time and we have never had any missed texts or communication issues.

Pros

We currently use this software that is integrated with our ChiroHD Software system. Our team utilizes Twilio daily and appreciates the convenience to easily communicate with patients via text.

Cons

I don't think we are using the full functionality of the product due to it's integration inside ChiroHD.

Review Wave
  • Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Reviewed on 02/08/2023

Twilio has real bad customer service!

I usually don't leave reviews but I am so upset of how Twilio treated me and my business that I feel an obligation to do so. Twilio has very bad customer service. If your app, website or product depends on its service like API or SMS, I would look somewhere else like Plivo or other service providers. Twilio suspended my account for weeks on an error through their system and through numerous emails, they took their time to unsuspend it while my business was being damaged every day by it. I would never recommended Twilio to any businesses or consumers.

Pros

There is nothing much to like about Twilio.

Cons

Twilio has real bad customer service and not reliable platform for businesses that depend on API and SMS for their businesses.

Jeff
Jeff
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Great for Triggered Text Message Notifications

Overall, very happy. Great value for the money. Would highly recommend.

Pros

We've been using this system to send text notifications to a distribution list when someone visits our website and completes a form to request information. We typically receive emails from clients who send 3-5 similar, if not identical emails to multiple tour operators. By dramatically decreasing our time to contact the potential client and answer questions via email or over the phone, we saw a marked increase in booking conversions. Using the Zapier integration between our Website form tool "Gravity Forms" and Twilio, we now can respond to online inquiries a matter of minutes, and secure a booking before our competitors can even open their email.

Cons

In the Zapier setup, it is a bit of hit and miss to get all the custom text to layout like you want in a single text message.

Anish

Reviewed on 04/02/2023

Twilio - Best Virtual Number Providers

Twilio is overall the best and most reliable software to get Virtual numbers

Pros

Twilio helps to get virtual numbers within minutes especially United States numbers which helps us with our business needs.

Cons

Restrictions and extra process involving more days for some country numbers like India, and Hong Kong affects our timeline

Philipp
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

Full-fledge communication platform for any complexity of business

Pros

We use Twilio as a cloud communication platform and we found here all the options required for our business. API Integration with other software is well done also.

Cons

Pricing for phone numbers is some regions are high. Interface is not intuitive in the beginning.

ClickSend

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Features and possibilities for integraion.
Esther
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/01/2023

Purchased out of necessity, expanded due to functionality

I like software that does what it’s supposed to do in the background without requiring regular babysitting. Twilio is exceptionally good at this. As long as our autopay works, the service remains consistently available and functions as expected.

Pros

For us, the integration is key. We have quite a few non-tech savvy people so operating the backend of Twilio could be intimidating for most of our staff. However, we need a product with extensive features and customization options. Twilio gives us the best of both worlds by integrating our user friendly database with the robust Twilio features.

Cons

There are always trade offs between available features and ease of use. Sometimes it’s hard to locate a particular setting. However, online documentation has helped me out so far and I have not needed tech support.

Roger
Roger

Reviewed on 17/02/2022

Powerful, flexible

Great - solid dependable system

Pros

Wide range of options - API hooks, config options etc

Cons

Can be complex to set up, but Twilio Studio does the trick now I guess. We were originally using XML / TwiML

Dilraj
Dilraj
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 20/04/2019

Awesome tool for sending sms and voice calling

Pros

Twilio enables the users on any platform to send sms and make voice calls internationally via its well documented APIs which can be integrated very quickly on the platform by the developers. The SMS can be sent reliably on any international or local phone number once the phone numbers are bought with the required services enabled on it. Twilio also provides phone number masking for making voice calls. All in all its really an awesome module to use in your product for availing all of the Twilio services.

Cons

Twilio should provide sms and voice calling as a testing feature on the trial account which can really help people to be more convinced about its awesome services.