OfficeTools Reviews

4.1

4.1

About OfficeTools

OfficeTools is a practice management solution for tax and accounting firms. Key features include client management, project management, time tracking, billing and invoicing, scheduling and reporting. OfficeTools offers a...

3.7
3.9
3.7
3.8

Browse OfficeTools Reviews

T. Marshall
T. Marshall

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Workflow that works for us!

Excellent -- we rely on it to keep our systems working. It offers a lot of functionality including communication among the office and ease of retrieving prior information.

Pros

We appreciate the ability to have one software that provides so much utility -- Contact info, Notes, Documents, Projects, Calls, etc

Cons

There is a learning curve on how to use the software fully. And the reports are a bit difficult to decipher.

Cathleen

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

Office Tools "was" the next best thing. Honest review: I have "loves" and "hates"

The portals are easier for my customers to use than my old portal product.
Customer service: none unless they can sell you more product or $$. Often times unresponsive.
Billing flexibility definitely better than my old product but recurring monthly or quarterly not as automated as I would like. We found the dashboard to be very confusing and counter productive as far as tasks, appointments and to-do items, my staff was still keeping spreadsheets of their projects for clarity. Too many extra steps required to completely clear something from your view of things to do. free-flow document management took a bit to get used to over windows folder structure, but very manageable. We have actually now split into two different products as we wanted beefier document management tools. Calendar connecting with exchange was a hot mess.

Pros

There are a lot of things I love about this software and it was a vast improvement 3 years ago over what I was using. Love: Project tracking, although not as complete as we would like - we have actually left for one that has a more Kan Ban style visual approach, with the ability to tag colored status tags on a project as it moves through the process. Love: Billing: select all time entries related to a project to mark up and bill, or bill all out marked up for a monthly subscription client. Love: ability to link charge card processing both to portal and to invoice. Love - time reports for easy payroll processing. My clients love the portals.

Cons

Hate: document management presentation - must specifically look for emails or notes related to a project: have since moved to a product that has a chat-style interface perfect for a remote workforce. Hate: could never get project reports to print everything I needed. Matter of filters. I will give them the benefit and say perhaps I didn't learn that part well enough. Hate: tech support used to be terrible before they were bought out, has improved but still not great. I may now be really spoiled by the product I moved to - response sometimes within minutes. Hate: BEWARE: their contract has auto renewal without positive confirmation from user. I left them because I spent countless hours with their tech support, and many many $$ in tech support, and by their own admission, it was an issue they were aware of, and nothing to be done about . Now they want to charge me for the entire year and not let me out of it, unless I spend countless more time and $$ to try to resolve the issue that they already know they could not resolve. We have been receiving an error message when logging in for months. They know about it.
Yes, you can just click through it and log in, but it is another annoyance that they are aware of yet still want to charge me for an entire year when I have limped through the last several like a dedicated customer. The ability to link my calendar in exchange to that in Office Tools was a deal maker/breaker for me.

Kyle

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Horrible. Unreliable. Blindfolded company culture.

It taught me not to believe the features you read on websites.

Pros

The days it works without data loss or speed issues. More often than not, it is extremely slow and non-responsive. We have an amazing cloud environment with more than adequate resources for this basic application. Office Tools is the only program that is slow or non-responsive on a daily basis.

Cons

There are many many little glitches that we have not brought to supports attention because we were told by your support team: "glitches must have been previously identified to exist". Your engineers told my IT consultant that we were not using the software properly, which resulted in the DATA LOSS we were experiencing. This is complete crap, as I witnessed the issue with my own eyes and know that Office Tools has a critical engineering issue that can result in lost data. I have also experienced the data loss issue across two separate companies (and IT environments) and have experienced this issue as far back as 2014. But that's not important, right?

The ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUE IS PROJECT ASSIGNMENTS CAN REVERT TO PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT ANY PROOF THE NEW ASSIGNMENT WAS EVER CREATED.

THE PROFILE SYNC DOESN'T WORK. THE CEO ACKNOWLEDGED THIS AS A KNOWN ISSUE YET THE COMPANY IS STILL SELLING IT AS IF IT WORKS.

ACCOUNTS WITH THE SAME PRIMARY CONTACT MAY HAVE THEIR FILE NAME CHANGED BY OFFICE TOOLS WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO CHANGE IT BACK TO THE PROPER NAME.

THE SIN (CANADA) NUMBER DOESNT SHOW PERIODICALLY UNLESS YOU HIT THE EDIT BUTTON, THEN IT MAGICALLY APPEARS.

Overall the software is not reliable and the company culture is disappointing. I brought the data integrity issue to the CEO and he brushed it off as a non issue, despite it being mission critical for his customers. Never will we recommend this software to anyone. It sounds better than it is.

Top OfficeTools Alternatives

Darshan
Darshan

Reviewed on 08/10/2018

Number and Data tools for good

Pros

This tool helps me to keep my daily accounting and numbers data practice run on time with so many different features like Clients time tracking, scheduling, processing signatures, mass data sharing, and easily get control on data sharing.
In long term it helps us to show that where we are standing when seeing our tax returns at the end of year. Also have a good metrics in terms of dollars of where and how we are spending every day.

Cons

Lots of functions are not used by our company. So they should give an option to the company of what tools will be used based on that payment should be decided.
- Canon Scanners (We don't use canon scanners)
- Portal not the way we want to organize it or modify it

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Without this software our office wouldn't be able to function.

keeping everything straight. with so many clients and "projects" its imperative to know where everything stands. who has it, whats being done, whats missing, etc. having the documents in the system attached to everything (be it a meeting, a call a project) is a huge positive.

Pros

Everything you need to know about any client, contact, etc. is all in one place. whether it be an email, a phone message, document, meeting notes, client files, projects, time and billing. we can research anything and find anything on them. one stop shopping.

Matthew
Matthew

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Hard to find any other option that's as simple and powerful.

Great office hub.

Pros

70-80% of the features provided are very easy to use and very intuitive. The navigation getting from task to documents to calendar etc is super easy. You feel like a power user almost right away.

Documents and the portal system are easy to use and very intuitive. Same with ToDo's, Calls, and schedules. Instant success. Billing is easy at it's basic level but as you get into options and features it can take some time. A fair trade off for the feature set. Time tracking is available for evey screen in the software so that's great.

Cons

They have an amazing base product. They need to stop shooting them selves in the foot on updates, new feature roll out and customer relations. Examples are:
1. Pacific time support hours only. If your on the east coast and you have a problem in the morning, you get to deal with it until 11am. That's a problem.
2. No user community. Facebook and linked in are not user communities. They need to have a place for users to gather, ask and answer questions, and post information about services and updates so users can be informed.
3. Being proactive when there is a system wide issues. Like every software company, things happen from time to time. I have no problem with that. But when it does there should be an e-mail alert to all users and it should be posted in the user community. I should not have to check face book on the off chance something is posted.
4. Loosen control of system variables. The report function, which is very good, hits strong limits when you can only access certain variables from the system depending on the report type. There is no reason to limit access to variables. Multiple reps from inside the company agree with this and have for years, yet no change.
5. Online helps and training. Office tools has some excellent online videos and resources for using their software. But they tend to not be updated regularly and are hit and miss on what they cover and what they don't. There is little consistency in online help.
6. Out of room!!!

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

OTP is relatively easy to use. It is quite forgiving.

Much easier for billing purposes, tracking projects and allowed us to reduce the number of software products used in a day.

Pros

Quick and easy entering new contacts. Many ways to classify and group contacts. I'm also a big fan of the "bill to contact" feature. It's easy to focus on the clients you need to contact.

Cons

Only one email can be utilized per contact. Not easily managed when contact name has to change and they often do in cases of marriage, divorce, death of one of a couple or sale of company etc.

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Fantastic Software

I think the interactivity of this program makes it a winner and puts it at the forefront of innovating in its industry.

Pros

All client information is available to each member of the team, and viewing the progress of the tasks being completed is very easy. In a virtual environment it has become more important to be able to monitor one another on a team without “micromanaging” and constantly having status meetings, so this is fabulous.

Cons

Sometimes the video tutorials are a bit confusing, so I prefer speaking to someone through the phone support. Reading the articles isn’t as self explanatory as it is made out to be, but this can be different based on who is using this software.

Dan
Dan

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

Office Tools has been a very practice management tool for our firm

Pros

The product has a lot of features that made the implementation in the first year wonderful. The support staff was great and easy to access. Ease of use, reporting, billing features

Cons

40% + cost increase for the new year. The Lacerte software integration did not work very well. There are issues that could not be resolved with the multi-firm features of the product

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Good product, but not always cost-effective for smaller firms

Pros

easy integration with various programs, easy to use portal and effective DMS system. Add to the easy of setting up the annual engagements and you have a great system.

Cons

Least is the cost and required training. further, the program is not yet Cloud-ready. also, the server-based DMS does not provide for security of the data files

Breanna

Reviewed on 04/05/2020

OfficeTools Review

OfficeTools has solved many of the problems that we had prior to the program. Client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Pros

OfficeTools can be great. Our firm likes that all of our client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Cons

This software has a lot of bugs and glitches. We have contacted customer service several times due to a bug or glitch and we have had to wait months to get an answer because they weren't sure why the problem was happening. Most features functionality is great, but we feel the documents area is lacking as far as ease of use and functionality go. We also have completely stopped using certain features due to them continuously not working properly such as the eSigntures feature. We also have trouble with our schedule's. Each individual staff member's schedule will occasionally change on its own. Either appointments will be moved or deleted completely.

Ashley

Reviewed on 21/03/2019

Abacus is bring Office Tools down

Pros

I have been using Office Tools for years and it has helped tremendously with keeping all of my company's client data and projects in order. The reports are somewhat customizable and easy to read. The Projects tab enables us to have a good audit trail of all work by using the Work List, Project Definitions and Project Assignments.

Cons

Since Office Tools has been taken over by Abacus the price of the program has gone up significantly while the features have barely been updated (the updates it did get aren't that great) and the customer service has gone down significantly. In the past I would call customer support and be helped on the spot or given an appointment no later than the next day. Now I call in and am told they will put in a case and I'll get a call back shortly, which really means in hours or the next day or the day after. I recently put in customer service requests on 2 separate issues and was repeatedly told that I'd get a call back or that my case was escalated. One issue was never resolved and I put in the case in January. The other is going on 2 weeks now with no results. Its ridiculous that Abacus expects us to pay higher prices and sign contracts, but not give us the customer service we need. I've even reached out to the sales manager and am given the same answers.

Lynn

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Many good features

Pros

When Office Tools works well, it's great. Everything is in one place, including storage for documents. It includes billing, and time and project tracking. It's easy for staff to use, and there are multiple ways of completing tasks so employees can use the way that works best for them.

Cons

Our biggest frustration has been with the reporting. While you can technically export reports to Excel, they're in a Crystal reports format with multiple lines and merged cells. The system often doesn't provide the reports we want, which is frustrating because the information is in there. Sometimes we can get what we need between 2 different reports, but the Crystal format makes it impossible to merge them. Sorting reports in multiple ways should also be a breeze, and it is . . . after we remove all the formatting.

Since the acquisition of Office Tools by Abacus, tech support quality has declined significantly. We haven't seen many upgrades to the program, and it's hard to get help on the few occasions we need it.

Andrea

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

The program has been great at keeping client and billing details accessible.

Ease of reports for billing, client records, staff utilization, accounts receivable which make our office run smoother and more efficiently.

Pros

The numerous reports and ways in which to cater a report to our specific needs. For example, I can create a WIP which shows work by date, or work by employeee, or work by code. These options have all been useful for different needs.
The contact lists are also versatile which helps with birthdays, phone lists, contact type lists.
Form letters is useful and we have created several this past year catered to contact type.

Cons

There have been issues with the document signature feature; months went by with giant red lettering appearing on the documents, so we could not use that feature; when the feature was fixed with a new upgrade, we were not informed of the upgrade.

The email link from Outlook is not reliable and keeps stopping on two of our computers. This feature would save time and keep records straight with our clients, however, we cannot keep it connected.

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you all know about exceptional customer service.

Pros

I'm a long time Office Tools user who was MAD when I got my renewal quote. The quote included 2 more users than our small firm has, and I misunderstood it to mean that you only offered the program with a minimum of 5 users.  The initial quote represented a 162% increase over the prior year and I was informed that the Office Tools user agreement, we would lose access to our data once the subscription expired.

I immediately went shopping for alternatives.  Long story short, he was willing to work with me despite my very vocal displeasure. He was very professional and took the time to answer all my questions thoroughly, as result he helped you retain a long time customer.

FYI, I'm very happy to learn that under Abacus's user agreement, we'll retain read-only access after the expiration of our subscription.

Cons

I do not feel there are any cons worth mentioning at this time, or things I like the least about the software

Suzanne

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

Experienced User

I like OfficeTools and will continue using it. I wish they would work on some issues and make it more user friendly.

Pros

I like that it works with QuickBooks and Lacerte. I like the reports that it offers in order to track performance and efficiency.

Cons

I am not happy with customer service. We I have a problem or issue it takes days and sometimes over a week to return my call. I wish it was more user friendly. It can do a lot but it is difficult to figure it out. I would love to use the Pay Now feature but it locks the invoice and you can't add or delete time to it.

Jim

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Office Tools Support not what it used to be

Since AbacusNext took over, things have gone down, but the Lacerte issue is not their fault.

Pros

Ease of use is the plus, but they have re-engineered their layout with the latest update.

Cons

Integration with Lacerte and Quickbooks isn't what it used to be. Lacerte 2018 security issues have made the integration cumbersome (in all fairness it's not OTPs fault) because the sync is not a push of the button that it used to be. QB sync is also not working which is completely frustrating.
Support is horrible. You call and stay on hold only to be told 10 min later to submit a ticket online. You submit a ticket online and NEVER get a call. I've gone through this three times!
I can't recommend this product at this time.

Steven

Reviewed on 07/08/2017

Lots of Value - Great Price

Pros

I'm a sole practitioner. I've used the product for over 8 years. I mainly use the billing, due date monitoring and portal. Office Tools makes my billing process easy. I have set up standard paragraphs and just insert to complete the invoices. Due date monitoring keeps me aware of due dates and will roll forward projects when completed. I have Thomson Reuters Practice included in a subscription package for essentially no cost, but choose to continue using Office Tools as it is a straight forward robust product.

Cons

I really don't have any "Cons" per se. On rare occasions, the software will freeze and I'll have to restart.

Jeffrey

Reviewed on 02/08/2017

Very user friendly software, very customizable, excellent customer support, very reasonably...

Keeps my firm organized through project workflow, keeps track our time and billing, hold all of our client information.

Pros

The software is very user friendly software, very customizable, very reasonably priced. The customer support is amazing and they are open to feature enhancements. The features I enjoy most are the syncing with QuickBooks, the excel import feature, timers and entering time with ease, activity list keep you organized, project workflow is amazing. Very excited about the web based version coming out at the end of 2017.

Cons

Needs to link to other tax software other than just Lacerte.
Number of reports could be improved but not bad.

Leticia

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

Office Tools

Office Tools is a nice data management software. It allows the user to keep track of a time card, which is crucial to a CPA firm.

Pros

I like the way it allows the user to drag source documents into the data management program. Emails are also easy to drag into. Most documents are easily dragged into the software program with ease. It also allows to keep track of projects and their progress. Nice feature.

Cons

I wish they had a better way to store the information. Yes there are the filters to bring up certain years and data. However, it would be a better software if the data were stored in folders. Where the folders were named and there reside the documents. They would be out of sight until one needs to search for certain information.

Gloria

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Overall great practice management.

It has streamlined our document management and simplified the need for multiple programs to manage the workflow.

Pros

I love the convenience of having my contact information, billing history, client data and records all within the same program. It definitely helps maintain a smooth workflow.

Cons

This software still has many limits. Multi-tasking is very difficult because you have to constantly change contacts and screens. The report functions are not very robust. I would really like to see Crystal Reports built into OT so that I could truly customize my reports, letters, and invoices.

Michele

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

support has been great, pretty easy to use

tracks my employees time so I know how much to bill my clients. I use it as my billing program and to keep track of employees time to I know what their hours are each week

Pros

the information is very accessible. the program is pretty easy to use. has reports that are very helpful and I don't think I use the program to its fullest potential

Cons

when an update goes through we seem to have a glitch and when we go into the program it says we are already logged in so we aren't allowed. We have to go in on another user and switch something to be allowed access.

Julie

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Still Learning All Possible Uses

This program has helped me organize my week and prevented missing deadlines.

Pros

I like the monthly schedule because I can take a look at one page and see what I have coming up for the week. The only complaint is, I am now entering as appointments and in the past I was able to enter as "to do's" Also, am impressed with the customer service when I had problems with resetting my password.

Cons

It will take some time to learn all of the possible uses, but like what I have used to date. Do wish there were more training options. We have the assignments set up and I like being able to see what needs to be done but can be overwhelming if you get behind.

Jon

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Overall the program works well.

Pros

Project tracking and shared calenders

Cons

Users must have admin control over calendars to view them. It seems users need admin control to do just about anything if it involves other users. We sometimes hire temps. We need them to view the calendar and contacts but we don't trust them to edit them. We have had a number of appointments moved by mistake. We aren't notified about updated until we call in with a problem and are then told they will send us the update. Why aren't the updates pushed out?

Charmayne

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

One top ap for all your office needs

We use OT the most for billing clients. It does a great job tracking employee hours and allowing the flexibility to change bills.

Pros

The favorite thing about Office Tools is the to-do list. It helps keep me on task and remembers the important tasks that I need to be sure to remember.

Cons

The letter writing function is difficult and time consuming. What you see in the letter screen is not always the same format that is printed. It takes a lot of time to save any changes that you make.