Square Payments Reviews

About Square Payments

Square Payments is a cloud-based payment processing tool for businesses within the retail, food and beverage, and health and fitness industries. Key features include fraud prevention, dispute management, touch-free transactions,...

Browse Square Payments Reviews

2,344 of 2,344 reviews
Jarvis
Jarvis
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

The Perfect Payment Processing Option for Small Business

My overall experience is A++ since I am able to accept and process payment at a fraction of the cost and without costing me more time and effort.

Pros

Using this software for a couple of years now I really like the ease of use and how it's transferable between all my devices. I am able to access reports, process payments, and more from the mobile dashboard or my PC.
It doesn't require that I have or use any additional products or equipment for function. They have very friendly and knowledgable customer service and support.
I love that you are able to integrate Square into other systems for a more robust system.

Cons

I wasn't able to really pin point anything that I didn't like or enjoy regarding the software.

PayPal and Paycom

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Paypal had so many restrictions and hold times.

PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Because if checked off more of the boxes for what I was looking for and the cost was Amazing.
Candace
  • Industry: Fishery

Reviewed on 24/04/2024

Good for a business

Pros

I love how fast and essy is it for my customers to make there transactions.

Cons

The only thing i dont like is that to have it is high on price. There rates are too high. Customer service is horrible.

KERI
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 04/06/2024

Easy to collect money

Overall, my experience has been quite positive, and it offered a variety of features that enhanced the payment processes efficiently.

Pros

Square is an excellent option for small businesses looking to make it easier to collect the money.

Cons

Setting up a credit card on Square Payments can sometimes take time.

Top Square Payments Alternatives

Amy

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

Using Square to accept payments

Pros

The ease of use and quick transactions times are a must for our business. We use many volunteers to help with our sales and most either know how to use Square already or are quick to learn because Square makes it VERY easy to navigate transactions.

Cons

The only con I would say is that Square has a very long list of reports to choose from to gather the information needed for your company's bookkeeping. It sometimes becomes overwhelming as to which report to use or to find the report that you need. That being said, once you navigate the system a few times it becomes much easier to find what you need or are looking for.

Lirim
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 02/06/2024

Easy to use and very user-friendly

Pros

Square payments is helping to make business easy. We can finish up payments in less than 20 seconds with the tap-to-pay option for iOS and Android. And I never have to worry about data breaches thanks to the advanced security Square has.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about Square payments. It's perfect and it serves our business purposes.

Tamara
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

A good option for small or mobile businesses

Pros

Cheap to get into and daily reports are appreciated

Cons

Glitchy if there were internet connectivity issues

Sakhara

Reviewed on 02/06/2024

Would use another platform

Pros

What can I say. Simple to use and very functional with no issues. I have used other platforms before and found it hard to navigate and to understand what's what but never had this issue with square.

Cons

No issues so far so I don't have any dislikes.

Reviewed on 04/06/2024

Easy Payment Processing

Pros

Square makes it extremely easy to receive payments from a variety of methods. Square also provides useful data on sales.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences with Square Payments.

Chet
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 31/05/2024

Square is a solid mobile payment platform

Pros

It has a lot of features, and users have the ability to set up a website through square to list items and take payments. We use the mobile payment option the most, which uses the nfc function on a mobile phone to take payments.

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to send an email invoice. You can do it, but I don't do it often and have to fish through the menu options to find it. They could simply list it as a standalone option in their menu, or allow me to create a shortcut.

Jack

Reviewed on 30/05/2024

Simple Easy and Effective

Simple, Easy to use and effective. a great addition to any small business processing multiple payments in various remote locations

Pros

Initial set up is easy and painless
Setting up the mobile device is simple and reliable
Cards are processed quickly
receipts are easy to send
Mobile app gives all insights needed
Payments are process, quickly

Cons

Can be hard work ensure that the mobile phone stays near the device

Adeoye
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Easy on the go Processor

I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

SQUARE SAVED OUR BUSINESS

Overall, Square is easy to use, to train new employees with, and the integrations are really smooth. The Square ecosystem is awesome, and we really love it!

Pros

Square POS has SAVED us during the Covid-19 Pandemic. We setup our online/curbside settings before they were updated, and have been using Square for 5 years prior. Multiple locations, online ordering, direct printing to our iPad Kitchen printers - it all works like you want it to work. We also like the loyalty program options and email campaigns. It's an all around great program for our coffee shop business.

Cons

All the online/curbside updates have been great, but there are still missing features that have kept us from adopting a lot of them. We are still operating the online in a way that is more of a hack than an intention. For example, we wanted to offer delivery of baked goods but have them 48 hours delivery time - their delivery options are more setup for made to order items that get delivered in 5 minutes to 1 hour.

We also really want to see an inventory system on the POS grid - like a little number next to each item showing the inventory.

Shopify POS

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I have used Square a lot, and we wanted to simple look square gives with the register and iPad mounts. It's like the APPLE of Point of Sale systems.
Robyn

Reviewed on 12/05/2023

Square Reader made everything easier and better!

Pros

I've had to call customer service before and they were very friendly and very helpful. They were trained well and understood the entire program really well! Square makes call in orders, and online orders simple too, and it saves time for both you and your customer. It's also really easy to figure out how it all works. It's one of the most user friendly programs I've ever used

Cons

Only complaint I could have, and it wasn't even really a complaint.. when you very first get it and have to input all your existing customer info, and them programming in your menu and prices felt like it took forever. It took a minute in between each new entry to save it and move on, so it took me 2 days to complete the task. It's nice now tho because entering the entire menu in, allows my receipts to be detailed and very organized and professional in appearance.

PayPal and Apple Pay

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Price was a big factor. Square was every bit of 40% cheaper in fees and everything. A previous place I worked, used Apple pay, and it was constantly locking up or restarting itself, and the more customer info or menu items you entered into the program, the slower the entire system ran. It was very inconvenient more than once for me during peak times when we've got a line going . A good friend uses Square for her photography business, and she was telling me how easy it wad to use and setup and how impressed she had been with it, she had previously also been using Apple pay and got to where she hated it.. So her suggestion for me to use it resonated with me pretty strongly. I'm glad I chose it.
Christina

Reviewed on 24/09/2023

Great for small business owners

Overall, my experience has been pretty good. It is a bit pricey but you do get a lot of features, even with the free version. I think Square is the best option for a small business who doesn't have a lot of negotiation power with other merchants.

Pros

Square payments is very easy to use and includes all compliance so you don't have to worry about doing PCI verifications. The ability to invoice clients is great and I love that it will automatically send reminders which saves me time. It integrates wonderfully with my patient charting/scheduling system so that I don't have to switch to the actual square dashboard and can do everything in one program.

Cons

I really disliked using the contactless card reader. It never had a stable connection to my phone and I was always having to manually enter credit card information (which Square charges more for). I have since purchased a terminal which I love but the hardware was quite pricey.

Clover

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I switched because the user interface was more intuitive and I was able to integrate it into my existing programs.

Stripe
Lakita

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

Clover

PayPal Zettle

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Processing rates & ease of use, square was better.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

So Easy to Implement, I was Done Before I Knew It

We needed a payment form on our website to accept payments. We didn't want to have to build our own "shopping cart" for this and square payments was a great option to skip that and begin accepting payments quickly.

Pros

I needed to accept payments on my website and I tried using a different program, but the issues seemed almost impossible to overcome, as I am not an experienced website form developer. I easily and quickly had square payments set up on my website and I have never had a single issue accepting payments.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say currently about this product. I had a horrible experience before implementing square payments, so I find this product to be great. I guess I could ask for lower fees, however, they are not all that high, to begin with.

Jyoti

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

Great Option for Small Businesses

Square Payments Processing has been great for my business. The majority of clients prefer to pay by credit or debit card and most have used Square at some point so are already familiar with it.

Pros

I really like that I can sell eGiftcards through the Square software so my clients can purchase via a link from my website without having to contact me. Also, that Square is compatible and completely integrated with my booking software (MassageBook).

Cons

The recent change in fees has been a bit confusing. I don't think overall there has been much of a change in what I'm paying, but I have had to pay more attention to the fee part of the transaction as it is no longer as straightforward as it previously was.

Brenda

Reviewed on 21/07/2023

Reliable solution that is cost effective

I have used Square for 10 years. I have listened to other companies pitches, but stuck with Square, because there is not contract. They are honest as well. Never do they pitch you anything they do not offer. I cannot say that for other payment providers.

Pros

Square is fantastic when you need to swipe a credit card and allows one to avoid the large fees that others require. No contract and buy equipment as you need it.

Cons

The only con is getting a hold of a representative. Note, the solution is so simple that you really don't need help.

PayPal , Stripe and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Speed and simplicity. The coding in the system works seamlessly too.
Allison
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 08/05/2023

Small business using square payments

Overall, my experience was good it’s easy to use easy to set up. If I ever had an issue and needed to contact customer support. They were very quick to get back to you and I appreciated that a lot.

Pros

I like that it was easy to use anywhere anytime that it’s stored my customers information safely, and that they took a fair percentage from each service entered into POS

Cons

I like to least that I had to get new POS system more than once, because my iPhone changed shape, but that was more a problem with iPhone not square payments

Clover and INTERAC

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Because it was best suited for small business owners
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Definitely Reccomend

Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp.
Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Stripe , Wave and PayPal Zettle
Maureen

Reviewed on 08/10/2021

Square does not reimburse for manual credit card transactoins

Pros

When it works it's okay and you get payments quickly.

Cons

When the card reader doesn't work, which can happen for multiple reasons (no wifi, the card's strip is worn out, the reader is worn out, etc.) Square has instructions on their Support page to enter the credit card information manually. I encountered this situation at my last show with 100% of my credit card sales, followed Square's instructions from their Support page, and received an "Approved" response with each transaction. Square's records showed these transactions were transmitted to them as "cash" transactions so they refused to compensate me for the sales.

If you use Square, you know that cash transactions are very different from manual credit card input. They do not display fields for you to enter credit card information, expiration date and the code on the back of the card, and they do not ask for the customer's zip code. This was all information I manually inputted with each transaction - but it did not transmit to Square. But again, with each transaction Square responded with "Approved".

Square did not acknowledge any problems at their end and would not help me, so I essentially held a "Free Sale" where I paid for booth space at the show in order to give my products away. I have no idea if the customers' credit cards were charged. I only know that I will not receive payment for my goods because Square will not investigate the problem on their end. However, in telling me this they kindly hoped that I would have a "wonderful day!"

Brent

Reviewed on 16/04/2022

PRICELESS for any business anywhere!

Flexibility, convenience, portability and reliability. These are absolute REQUIREMENTS for a payment processing system for our non-profit to function properly and raise fund and receive funds in a timely manner in a very wide ranging field of environments that we may end up. If business is war, then Square Payments is the military grade equipment a business needs to get the job done in adaptive environments far away from home!

Pros

The ease of use is amazing. Einstein said simplicity is genius, or something to that affect. And Square is genius!!!! We are always on the move doing appearances at farmers markets, trade shows, conventions, dance competitions, and in-house seminars and workshops. We sell books, apparel, shoes, donated equipment and furniture, etc. to raise funds. We COUNT ON our Square payment system to work in the field, or at our facility, or in the airport, or 2,000 miles away from home at a convention. And it works EVERYTIME without fail. I honestly cannot recall a single issue we've had with the system and the card scanner and the receipt systems!

Cons

There can be a tendency to have to swipe a card thru the reader a couple times if you don't take your time and do a smooth level swipe. But that's probably more user error than anything else. I can only recall maybe once or twice in YEARS of using Square where we had an extended issue with a card not scanning, and it was always due to a damaged old card with a damaged strip on the back.

Scott
Scott
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Square is the independent contractors gold standard for payment processing

Square is great. My customers have the option to pay with a credit card, and even understand that I will upcharge them the transaction fee. With some computer skills, you can make an online store work from your own site, or using one of their templates if you don't care how it looks. Bottom line is that Square gets the job done that needs to be done.

Pros

Setting up Square to accept payments through a device like an Ipad, phone, or laptop, through either swiping or manually entering information, is as easy as it gets. Highest marks for virtual terminal and checkout links, as well as snapshots of important information such as how much is the average a visitor spends, and how much is taken in for a given day. Best of all, payments to your account are very quick, with a fantastic option for instant transfer.

Cons

Hands down, the awful thing about Square, and the thing that could use the most improvement is the Online Store. It looks awful, isn't easy to customize, and takes a bit of knowhow to even get your product or event listed. I've used this for years and keep waiting for Square to make this something that has as much quality as the rest of their service. It doesn't look like they are interested. Also, merchant services through banks charge fees that the average small business owner can't justify.

Ware
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

Money Management made easy

This software is exceptional for law office management.

Pros

I was a partner in an establish defense firm when I went on my own and began to concentrate on plaintiffs employment law. In a big firm, cash management was done for me, but when you are on your own, that’s no going to happen. So I started taking credit and debit cards. The problem was that it was costly in time and expense. The rented machines were clumsy and credits had to be reconciled to the bank. I finally decided that it was costing me more to rent, reconcile, and train personnel that it was not worth it.

Along comes iPad in 2011. I went to an iPad for Business program at the Apple Store where I was introduced to Square. Every swipe was 35¢ and 2.75%, and it didn’t matter if it was a VISA or American Express which had been running me 4.5%.

Since then Square has gotten better and better. I generally have money in my account the next business day and if I agree to an additional 1% I can have it immediately. Square Capital extends credit as well.

Cons

The original hardware was free. Now for a chip reader, expect to pay less than $50. I have two. One for the office and the other I keep in my car.

Nikki
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 28/03/2023

Square was a game changer.

Square has removed all headaches from payment processing in our dental practice.

Pros

We previously used a merchant services company that integrated with our dental software. We were unhappy with the constant changes and upgrades needed to maintain functionality. Accessing reports was difficult and time consuming. Our fees were excessive so it was time for a change. Implementing Square was much easier than I anticipated. I was able to negotiate our fees based on the way payments were received in our office. I appreciate that the terminal is mobile so it can be shared between the reception area and the Manager's office. Reports are accessible on the terminal, but using the online dashboard is simple and streamlined as well.

Cons

Figuring out where to order paper/supplies was slightly difficult. It can be hard to figure out how to speak to live support.