MyCase Reviews

4.7

4.7

About MyCase

MyCase is a cloud-based legal management solution that helps attorneys in small to medium size law firms manage communications with their clients and carry out daily business operations. The solution also provides functionalities...

Browse MyCase Reviews

Nancy
Nancy

Reviewed on 31/07/2023

Definitely recommend

Our firm loves MyCase. It's user-friendly and packed with amazing features that have helped us achieve a 245% growth rate over the last year. I have been so impressed with MyCase that I became a certified MyCase consultant so I can help other firms experience these game-changing benefits.

Pros

My favorite features in MyCase are the case management, client management, document management, templates and automation.

Cons

I don't like that the invoices aren't more customizable and that the billing and invoicing aren't compatible with contingency firms. I also with MyCase would integrate with a VOIP phone system like Ring Central so we can automate some of our calling procedures.

Filevine, PracticePanther Legal Software, Smokeball and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Cost and the need to update our technology

Time Matters

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

These are all great products, and the features only vary slightly from MyCase. The decisiding factor for our firm was cost.

Reviewed on 14/11/2023

10/10 Recommend

I rave about MyCase anytime a colleague asks my opinion. Admittedly, I do not have experience with any other practice management software, but when I was comparing my options before signing up with MyCase I was most impressed by the completeness of the product as compared to other programs; and the price was by far the most competitive.

Pros

MyCase is easy to use. The basic functions are intuitive and a new user can navigate the program without much instruction. As a user becomes more advanced, MyCase offers training and tutorials, and has a plethora of add-ons available, allowing a user to really customize the program to their needs. For me, the most valued features are the ability to accept online payments, the communication and notes features, the time tracking and billing features, and the leads tracking.

Cons

The email integration is not seamless. I wish that there was a way for emails send to/from a connected email to automatically synch with any client who has a matching registered email address.
Additionally, my rate has consistently gone up; I don't use a lot of the add-on features that are the justification for the price increases.

Sage Timeslips, Smokeball and Clio

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

The price and robustness of the product was superior. I felt that - at the time - I was getting the most "bang for my buck."

Reviewed on 07/12/2023

Mediocre practice management. Good enough, though.

It's OK. Not bad enough to undertake the daunting task of migrating to something different, but not good enough to necessarily recommend.

Pros

I like that it is OS neutral. I like the billing.

Cons

It's not really that great for anything I do, and it's pretty restrictive on how you can set things up. For instance, there's no field in the user category to put my bar number, which is something that goes into pretty much any pleading that I draft. (1) Why isn't that field available, and (2) why can't I create custom fields? They always seem to be adding "features" that I rarely find any use for, but they won't fix bugs in their system. For four years, now, I can't clear an e-check that a client bounced. It shows up in the "rejected payment in last 30 days" field. They can't be bothered to fix that bug. Ever since COVID customer service has gone way down.

Actionstep, Smokeball and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Trying to keep my database up with the times was getting to be too expensive.

Claris FileMaker

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Price. Less bad than the others. Smokeball's name was simply too stupid for me to seriously consider.

Top MyCase Alternatives

Reviewed on 12/02/2024

Best Case Management Software Out There and I've Tried Almost All of Them

Best that's out there for sure. I've used at least 6 different Case Managment Systems in the past but this is by far the best.

Pros

The sheer amount of features. I have both billable and contingency fee cases and MyCase covers both. It also feels more polished than other CMS's other there. For some reason, the other CMS's I've used feel cheap and bare bones and you have to build everything up. MyCase gets you started quickly because it starts with a default template.

Cons

I wish it was a little bit more customizable.

CJ
CJ

Reviewed on 14/11/2023

Incredibly Useful and Critical Component of my Practice

The customer service is top notch. Anytime I've needed anything or had questions about the software, staff have been quick to assist.

Pros

I started my practice with another software, but quickly realized that only MyCase had all the functions and features I needed to manage a small, one-attorney law firm. My Case allows me to spend less time on case management and document coordination and more time defending my clients.

Cons

The billing between trust and operating accounts can be somewhat confusing, but I also recognize that I likely need more specific training on this aspect of the software.

Carla

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Good case management platform

Overall, I am happy with MyCase and am certainly not looking to change.

Pros

User-friendly interface. Lower price than other services for the same features.

Cons

While the core platform works well and consistently, the add-ons are hit and miss. The accounting add-on is buggy at times: it periodically refuses to sync with my bank account. It also is difficult to change accounting entries when I discover an error such as categorization. The new gmail add-on stopped working for close to a month.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

The features I wanted were available at a lower price in MyCase.
anthony

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

Great product

Overall a great experience and worth the money.

Pros

Great product. Easy to learn how to use. Great and responsive customer service that will add features upon request.

Cons

More expensive than some other options. Some of the cost tracking can be confusing.

Clio and ProLaw

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Chose MyCase because it was more cost-effective than some and had more options than others.

Reviewed on 12/02/2024

My MyCase Experience

It's been good. I tried another service and did not like it as much, so I switched back to MyCase.

Pros

I found the interface particularly easy to work with, easy to set up. Very intuitive.

Cons

That I have to pay for a seat just for my bookkeeper to pull my monthly reports.

Keith
Keith

Reviewed on 31/07/2023

Great case management software

Great

Pros

Portability, upgrades & customer service

Cons

Email functionality deletes emails from server or duplicates.

Jamie

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

Great tool for my start-up!

It has been a dream to use. My new firm is well grounded and ready to take off.

Pros

MyCase was simple to start using. It is intuitive and once you get it's design, it works very nicely. The internal reminders and messages features help my team keep every case moving.

Cons

MyCase could needs to be more forgiving on a mistake and allow a Note to move from the wrong case file. It also needs to allow for a capture of time for LEADS so they may be billed when they convert.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Better pricing and integrations were available for a new start-up.
Majken

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

MyCase Daily User Experience

MyCase has been a wonderful tool for our firm. It allows for a more digital experience for both users and clients. MyCase is always updating to stay ahead of the current trends and needs, and they never take a long time to correct issues when they are reported. I love the MyCase staff which is always helpful and willing to explain things so we better understand why or why not something is the way it is. I will be happy telling others of the useful and customization features within MyCase. The support staff and product managers are always willing to help and take suggestions, which they tend to implement if they can. I have had a ton of ideas implemented which makes our daily activities easier. Overall, this software is pretty user friendly, high ability to customize a lot of areas, an all in one type of feel and beneficial for any office looking to go more digital.

Pros

What I love the most about this software is that it's always updating features and areas of needed interest. I love that the MyCase team is always there to take a concern, suggestion or edit that may be needed or wanted. I love that it's ALMOST an all in one system. I love that you can do customizing within the software on the end user side as well, without having to contact MyCase for most of them. I love that this is easy to learn, use and contact support. I love that MyCase is always willing to update to stay current.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the inability to filter OPEN and CLOSED cases in the Trust Account Activity and Trust Account Summary. We use this section for a quick check on which cases has a balance and which cases don't, but it shows EVERY case we have in MyCase without a way to filter out Closed. We have far too many cases open to check one by one. I also like least about this software that you have to request engineering to re-add Contact Groups that you delete, when it was added by the end user in the first place. An accidental delete of a contact group takes too much involvement to have re-added and we end up creating new ones. I also like least about this software that the App and the Desktop version are so much different in a few areas that are used most in our office.

PracticePanther Legal Software, Legal Files and Clio

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Essentially MyCase was chosen based on the features, support information, price and newness of the software. Reviewing was done extensively before choosing MyCase and in the end MyCase won. I just wish that we were told about the 10% OBA Member discount from the start since it was available and not known until we referred another firm and they were able to get it, then it was not allowed to be retro-active. Someone should check new customer discounts upon start up or each year to ensure you are providing that information to your customers. Knowing we could save that from the start and it was not mentioned was slightly unfair feeling. It was added to the next invoice when WE requested it.
Margaret

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Mycase has made billing so much easier

The biggest problem it solved for me was prompt invoicing and trust account management.

Pros

Very intuitive and easy to use. Excellent online tutorials and telephone support. I can put invoices together so quickly and I have all of my contacts and important info at my fingertips. Also, available for use on my iPad. I've recommended mycase to other attorneys.

Cons

I wish it integrated with my automated forms. Unfortunately I'm wrapping up my use of mycase because I found another practice management software which works with my automated forms which means that I only have to enter certain information once. It is unfortunate because I don't like the new practice management software as much.

Rocket Matter and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Because I could access it online and from a mac. Amicus didn't have that capability at at the time.

Amicus Attorney
Willem Galen

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

It's easy to use and you can start simply and add features

I have practiced for a long time. When I began I worked for a big firm that valued tracking billing time above all else. This was a good experience. When I started my firm I was always good at keeping track of time. Mycase makes it easier. A lawyer rarely bills all their time. But tracking every minute should be the goal. Integration of docu-sign and ability to keep all data about a case within the software makes for more efficient practice.

Pros

The time recording, case/contact data storage, docusign, billing features are what I started using. I used abacus before cloud based practice mgt software was available. I have used Clio. Mycase is more intuitive than other practice mgt software programs with which I have experience. It is easier to use.

I was slow to use some of the better features like templates. I realized that I could distinguish my firm by completing tasks quicker than average for the industry. Using electronic data forms allows us to obtain relevant data from customer and swiftly prepare the pleadings necessary to initiate case or respond to case and to prepare pleadings for requesting temporary relief orders from the court. We are continuing to explore the use of templates. Our goal is to have the petition or response, the declaration regarding minors, the income and expense declaration, the request for orders all template based.

Having calendar synced is good. Having email synced is great. Ensures all time is considered for billing.

Cons

Slightly more detail on creation of templates from judicial council forms would be helpful. I imagine CA is a big market. CA has court approved forms for civil litigation and family law. Family law is the most form driven area of CA state litigation. Why not pre-load Petition FL-100, Summons FL-110, Response FL-120, Declaration re Minors FL-105, Income and Expense Declaration FL-150, Request for Orders FL-300, Responsive Decl Request for Orders FL-320, Asset and Debt Declarations FL-142 and FL-160 into mycase? If you do you will have a marketing tool for family law attorneys.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Used mycase for a bit. I think I had a free one week trial. Way more intuitive.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

I explained above. Your software is more intuitive and easier.
Lilka

Reviewed on 27/02/2023

Good, user-friendly, all-around practice management program.

Pros

I have been a user of MyCase for about 10 years now. I like how user-friendly the platform is; the look, the feel, are very intuitive. It also has space for tons of useful information regarding your case; a one stop shop! The document automation part of the program saves me quite a bit of time, and so does the streamlined billing and invoicing process, which require almost no learning curve. The ability to electronically sign documents through MyCase is one of the best improvements I have seen throughout the years.

Cons

I would love to have the ability to text through MyCase... but by using my firm's phone number. The calendar sync with Google calendars is good, but has had bugs resulting in duplicates, etc. Also, the email part of the program also has had some bugs, it's not that user-friendly, so I've chosen not to use it. I would love it if MyCase could include a court holiday calculator free of charge. It's just not worth the expense of paying for integration with another program, when you can find good, accurate calculations online for free.

Smokeball and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Amicus Attorney became way too complicated, and was a standalone program with bad (and expensive!) customer support.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Ease of use, overall look, and special discount provided for being a member of the American Bar Association.
Lara

Reviewed on 16/05/2023

A solo with remote staff makes the leap

Pros

I love that I don't have to limit my staff to local employees, but between court, time zones, etc., it was hard to keep track of what everyone was doing. MyCase has made worlds of difference!! I can easily assign tasks, follow up, keep track of clients and have their contact information in a single convenient location. I can keep notes about each client in their online file.

Cons

I wish that it was easier to use workflows; they are easy to create, but we don't always necessarily have a calendar event that is required to prompt the use of the workflow. I also with that there was a way to do monthly billing that was not attached to time spent, but rather in installments.

Microsoft Teams, monday.com and Docketwise

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Teams didn't easily allow me to keep track of when tasks were completed. It didn't have the integrated time tracking.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

The case management features.
Richelle

Reviewed on 04/08/2023

Mycase review

It has helped my law practice run more smoothly. I am more organized. My clients use the document and communication features. They find it is easy.

Pros

It is easy to use, and affordable. I love the mobile app it is easy to use when scheduling court dates when in person for court.

Cons

MyCase defaults the calendar to Hawaii's time for Apple and Mac users. My clients who has Apple products say that the calendar shows the wrong time for events. They have to go into the system and default the calendar to Eastern standard time.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

MyCase had a mobile app feature that worked better than Abacus. Abacus did not have the ability to save dox and info in the cloud.

Tim

Reviewed on 11/08/2023

A Fantastic law practice management software

I wish I had MyCase years ago. I am a solo practitioner (lawyer, secretary and chief bottle washer). This app is fantastic!

Pros

I absolutely love the Mycase app. When I create a file in MyCase the app then auto-creates a file folder on my computer saving a bunch of time. Uploading and downloading documents is a breeze. I love the time recording and time entry features. I am amazed at how much billable time I am capturing using this app. I was missing so much time in the past, I can hardly believe it.

Cons

I'm still studying the app and deciding what cons I need to talk about. There aren't many, if any at all.

Cost and ease of use.

LEAP

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Ease of use, cost and features. For instance, the desktop "texting" feature - my client's love it.
Glen

Reviewed on 04/01/2024

Great Potential, Falls Short

Overall MyCase is just average. It could be so much better. I have asked MyCase to address these issues for over a year but they seem focused on adding bells and whistles like Zapier integration, document assembly improvements... all very good things, but neglecting the basic features that would make user experience so much better. If I was contemplating moving to MyCase I would think long and hard. If it wasn't for the client portal features, I would ditch MyCase.

Pros

MyCase has great potential. It plays nicely with other apps and the MyCase team has worked to make it more connective with zapier and other automation apps. It is headed in the right direction. It has a usable client portal feature and auto notification system that makes it valuable for our business in keeping clients updated on their files (cutting down on emails and redundant communications). It is stable-- very few glitches, outages, crashes, etc... Coming from the Amicus platform, it is far more reliable. It is relatively easy to set up and use.

Cons

Now for the bad news.
1. MyCase is frustratingly vanilla in ways that should be easily fixable. For example, MyCase allows almost *no* user customization for any of the meaningful ways users interact with the platform like events. Whereas most platforms allow calendar events to be listed by most recent or oldest, MyCase forces users to only view oldest to most recent (with an on/off toggle that lets you only view events in the future or the full list of events from oldest to newest). This means you have to endlessly scroll down the screen for any typical file with more than a handful of events. Worse, the main navigation bar at the top of the MyCase screen does not stay there when scrolling down, so if you want to navigate anywhere else or add a new event etc... you must scroll all the way back up to see that main bar and then scroll back down again to see the event you just added. Very annoying.
2. MyCase does not allow a user any control over what case information you see on a given file, so you wind up having to have multiple windows open to display the information you want rather than customize it for your practice.
3. MyCase forces an annoying amount of mouse clicking on users. For example, adding a new task to MyCase file requires 7 or 8 mouse clicks because MyCase does not allow for a user to set certain default settings that would avoid repetitious selections.
4. MyCase billing is just average. Again, creating bills and applying payments requires way too many clicks and selections. And it's needless. There's no reason MyCase cannot allow an Admin to set firm defaults for billing that would pre-fill in most of the data fields by default. Instead the user has to fill in each one manually over and over.

Steve

Reviewed on 01/07/2023

My horrific experience with MyCase

The benefit we had working with MyCase is that is honed our customer service abilities as we were regularly confronted with astounding MyCase failures which we used as lessons for our staff to make sure that we never came off acting like MyCase.

Pros

Terminating the Agreement. Although it was as entertaining as a trip to the dentist, it was the one glimmer of sunshine in an otherwise dreary software experience.

Cons

We spent months with their support staff trying to implement MyCase. Failure after failure, it finally came became clear that they were unable to service our firm and that it was time to terminate the agreement and they continued to charge us monthly. It turned out that somewhere in the fine print it stated that you had to terminate via their online software. The problem we ran into was that even after months of banging our heads against the wall, we still didn't have access to the online software. We pointed this out to their support staff and they didn't care. We ended up paying over $10,000 and never used the software for a day. We ended up going with Clio. Maybe it was just in comparison to the agony of working with MyCase but we found our transition to Clio to be a dream.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

We wanted features that Amicus promised but never delivered in the seven years we were with Amicus.

Amicus Attorney

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

MyCase has a slick sales force. We are now kicking ourselves for making the wrong call in originally going with MyCase. Save yourselves some agony, skip MyCase and go straight to Clio.
Willie

Reviewed on 18/07/2023

Why MyCase!

Wonderful tool for tracking cases and keeping up with documents.

Pros

The calendar is a great feature for staying in track.

Cons

Email is difficult to integrate with other emails.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

MyCase is more user friendly and listen to advice for improving.

Abacus Private Cloud and AbacusLaw

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

MyCase is more user friendly and listen to advice for improving.
Sergei

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

I've loved MyCase since 2016

I would never use any other office management system. I have found MyCase to meet all of my needs in a way that allows new employees to get up to speed quickly. The improvements continually being made to the functionality of MyCase only makes working in it easier and more efficient.

Pros

Before starting my law firm I had been using several different office management programs. None of them was as easy to learn and use as MyCase. The ability to incorporate the cases that I had prior to starting my firm was seamless. The clients love the access it gives them to their file and for communication.

Cons

Some of the integration apps take some work before they are fully connected, but it's not a huge problem.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

I liked the functionality and ease of use of MyCase over Clio.

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

The Best Practice Management Solution Everywhere

Pros

1. The best feature about Mycase is the client portal and client communication tools. This helps us automate some essential functions like sharing documents, court dates, deadlines, and obtaining information from clients to cut down on staff time. Now instead of dealing with "update calls" and requests for copies from our clients are able to focus on other tasks.

2. The workflows feature helps us take the thinking out of the routine tasks that need to be done on a case so we can focus our mental energies on the unique aspects of a given case.

3. Mycase is incredibly responsive to customer feedback. 90% of the suggestions I have submitted over the years are implemented and become part of the product. They release new features multiple times every month and help make a good product even better!

Cons

The one feature that needs work is email integration (saving emails sent and received to Mycase). The feature as it stands today requires a good deal of manual matching of emails to cases, a tedious task. I believe it would work better if they integrated email through IMAP or POP and allowed you to access and send external emails through Mycase, which would aid the sync process quite a bit.

Amicus Attorney, Smokeball and Clio
Scott

Reviewed on 23/05/2023

My Case has Matured

No case management system is as comprehensive as My Case. Over the years, they continue to add functions that have enhanced our ability to manage our practice efficiently. My Case has separated themselves from its competitors to be the most versatile system in the market.

Pros

The number of features that have been added since we started using My Case over 2 years ago have been game-changers. The integrated email, calendaring, and document management are outstanding.

Cons

None of the cons are deal breakers. Trust fund case management, inability to send global messages to specific practice areas, and some functions in billing are the least user friendly of the bunch.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Started with My Case, but switched to Practice Panther due to its integration with our legal software. After less than a year of using Practice Panther, realized it is not very user-friendly and integration was not worth the trouble. Returned to My Case over 2 years ago and have not looked back.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Familiarity and ease of use.
Juanita

Reviewed on 16/11/2021

Small but mighty

I love Mycase. I use it for everything. I use it to chat with staff, message clients, email courts, I store documents that I can attach to emails all while never leaving MyCase. It's a one stop shop.

Pros

I love that the software is user friendly. If you can use Facebook, you can use MyCase. Older clients are always hesitant until they use it for the first time. It makes client communications (regardless of method--text, call, e-mail, message) simple to maintain and to track. My staff and I can stay on the same page about what is being communicated to clients because it's all in the case file!

Cons

The third party integrations could use some work. MyCase doesn't allow for Zapier and so it means things are a little less automatic and requires a person to go in and do things. Some times that is a bit time consuming. They have added a number of third party integrations that are phenomenal.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

I used Clio at the firm I worked for before. The pricing was outrageous and the functionality wasn't as easy as MyCase.

Pricing and ease of use
William

Reviewed on 03/04/2018

Overall, very positive. I chose MyCase 4 years ago for its user-friendly interface for...

Pros

It provides an easy means of secure client communication and collaboration for those clients who have a computer and know how to use it. MyCase's payment system is affordable and hassle-free (no monthly fees and no worries about CPI compliance), and encourages faster payment by clients.

Cons

Not as beefy and versatile as in-house case management software. Files are sometimes hard to find. (A Windows Explorer-style interface would be faster and easier to look through. Suggest speeding up file list display and searching by chaching the file list and associated details to user browser.) File tagging is easy to do...but not that useful in practice. The new redesign of the client portal, while great for tiny screens, is not as user-friendly as the previous design. Clients sometimes miss new messages and comments. (Please don't change my dashboard to look like that!) One little request for the iPhone version of the client software for lawyers: Please add an alert button so I know when I have a new message/document/comment waiting, without having to fire up the app to check for these things.

Response from MyCase

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Will. It is great to hear that your firm is enjoying easy client communication and payments. We'll take your constructive feedback into account as we make updates moving forward. If you have any questions or would like to provide more detail about your mobile app experience, please email us at [email protected]. We welcome any additional comments you may have about the app!

Replied 08/05/2018