About Practice Fusion

Founded in 2005, Practice Fusion offers a cloud-based EHR that includes a suite of integrated features like charting, e-prescribing, patient scheduling, lab and imaging integration and more. Additionally, practices can qualify...

3.8
3.9
3.2

Browse Practice Fusion Reviews

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

Practice Fusion is so easy to use and I create my own templates that fits my Chiropractic...

The streamline of my notes and the ease of using this program. I like customizing my notes based on my practice. The customer service is impeccable. I have already referred many friends to PF.

Pros

The ease of using this software and I get to create my own templates which I love. I have been using this software for over two years and it keeps getting better. Plus it's complimentary with CMS.

Cons

I understand that information are being updated daily and it's hard for the folks to update everything on the site. There are still clicks that don't have the required informations that is needed. I'm sure it's coming!

Harlan

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Manage patient records

From the beginning, Practice Fusion allowed our practice to fully switch to government mandated electronic medical records. And with that switch it allowed us to earn rewards from the government. As practice fusion has grown, we have grown with it. Although no longer free, it does offer a free 2 week trial period with out having to even put in a credit card number. I highly recommend you give it a try!

Pros

I was an early adopter when this software was offered free. For a small practice that was vital in getting us to switch to electronic medical records.

Cons

As crazy as it sounds, that fact that it was originally offered free made it seem like it was just Cheap That could not be further from the truth!

EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The choice was easy, Practice Fusion was free!

Reviewed on 20/01/2018

Software being managed by morons

Make this open source so that providers can add functionality to their system. Retain your revenue through advertising as you are doing, from labs, pharmacy, radiology connectivity but give assess to tweak simple issues. Then you would truly be the leader so sought to be.

Pros

Free, able to get up and running in no time. Web based. runs on both desktop and tablets.free to the provider.

Cons

Simple tweaks that need to be done are completely neglected. Absolutely cannot talk to support. Difficult to have patients register and if you run a walk in clinic which most places are then forget it. Be ready to type in every last digit yourself. They tout integration with labs, pharmacy and radiology but only those integration to make them money and really i do not care, they should be profitable to remain in business but don't make me use to your product and when you have issues they throw it to a " crowd voting system". As a user i had never even realized that a voting system existed and as a busy provider i do not have the time to read through to find some fix i need already reported. How silly and draconian, who ever came up with this idea needs to be fired!. The founder definitely has no more involvement with this software otherwise he would have seen that no support and inability to adapt to simple tweaks leaves a horrible last. DO not use because you will have trained and gotten used to this and then issues would arise as they always do and you are faced with looking for another. No integration with billing software and this is why. A list of billing companies are given as partners but communication is one way. The super bill flows into the billing but no way to know what a patient owes when they return . There are lots of free clearinghouse but PF in their infinite wisdom will not integrate.

Top Practice Fusion Alternatives

Melody

Reviewed on 06/08/2020

Practice Fusion the easy EMR system

The program is great for keeping track of all out patients information, communicating with everyone associated with the practice, and it is very user friendly. If you do run into a problem the support staff are always available and almost always solve your problems!

Pros

The software is user friendly. The support help people are fantastic at walking you through while you try to trouble shoot! The program is tied to Updox which is another amazing program.

Cons

There are a few gliches with the system and we are unable to add all attachments to referrals. If you send a document to the chart you are unable to attached it when faxing out a referral.

EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

This program seemed to be more efficient and more user friendly.
Andrea
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Not suitable for Clinical Massage Therapy Practice

We were searching for software to keep digital medical records, and also to keep printable SOAP charts for our medical massage therapy patients. There were many extraneous features not applicable to our practice that drove our choice to go to a different software suite.

Pros

The interface is easy to read, landing pages easy to navigate. The colors pop, the menus easy to get through.

Cons

It was not appropriate or useful for our practice. We are a medical massage therapy practice, but we do not take patient vitals, etc.

EHR 24/7 and ClinicSense

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

This software came with the office ally suite, we tried it out for six months and it was not useful. The SOAP charting was useful but the need to navigate through inapplicable menus was wasteful of time.
michael

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Worst E RX system - CLunky beyond belief

Pros

Cost cost is great but thats it otherwise its a very clunky system

Cons

The e RX system is unbelievable clunky I have asked over and over to please allow storage of meds that we use repetitively for extraction by a macro . FOr example I have patients in travel med that get the same 4 Rx's over and over . Each time I have to write them all out - Our old system SOAPWARE I could extract these with three key strokes . With practice fusion I am well over 500 key strokes for the 4 meds - multiply this out x 20 patients - you are wasting a ton of time . When sending controlled substances just hit one wrong key on your password and it boots you out of the entire system . YOu have to log back in re extract the patients chart re enter the information . Multiple repetitive screens - YOu enter the directions in one screen it loses them on the next and you have to re enter them - CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

my OLD SYSTEM ALLOWED ONE TO CONSTRUCT CUSTOM macros - you could construct a letter - drop the patients name automatically into drop labs vitals etc etc Want a note for work - construct a macro construct custom questions and boom the letter is done each and evry time - not so with PF - you type up the letter in WORD and save a copy then enter all the demographics each time CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

Lynette

Reviewed on 12/12/2016

PF review

Given that it's free, I don't feel I have the right to complain too much, however, customer service has NEVER been a strong suit in the 3+ yrs I have used PF in various settings. I live in MI and don't understand why I can't yet e-scribe controlled substances in my state when other EMR's have been for quite some time. Having to create emails for more than one practice is absurd because then you have to remember all those emails should you ever need to reset certain things. I have made a few recommendations over the years and none of them were, I guess, important enough to consider. Lastly, the fact that you can't get rid of test results that were sent to you in error makes it look like you have more unfinished business in your EMR, and there have been no easy fixes to this. The one fix I was given I don't even remember because it would require triple the time to get rid of them from my account, and this just isn't a priority with me right now. It fills a need right now, but I am having to look for another EMR just because it's not meeting my current needs in all levels. Sad to say, but it's too bad this can't be fixed.

Pros

That it's free, fairly easy to use, but not always simple. Has gotten better over the years.

Cons

when creating a superbill, often sends a message "fix validation errors" before you can save as ready to bill, but no errors are listed or highlighted......WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?! The only solution I have found, to date, is to go through and start erasing diagnoses, one by one until I can save. Then, I know I am losing revenue because I have had to erase so many! Also, not being able to save partial info (name but no bday) means you can't save a few steps ahead and make it easier to begin with a new pt....or partial insurance info until you can actually get/see a copy of their cards. Medication interactions are often incorrect or marked as urgent yet when I contact the pharmacy, they don't have the same interactions listed on their system to worry about....and those stupid yellow drop-down reminders do nothing but get in my way. Searching for new pharmacies is sometimes difficult because it won't bring up the correct one.

Gianna

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Practice Fusion has odd limitations and customer support does not resolve glitches quickly.

We benefit by having a free EMR that does electronically send superbills to our billing software (Collaborate MD).

Pros

The best part about Practice Fusion is it's free. I'm very excited that for 2018 we can submit Meaningful Use Data through Practice Fusion directly, which is going to save me a lot of time this year.

Cons

The scheduler is inefficient - I pushed my company to use CollaborateMD (our billing software) for the scheduler because of how awkward and inefficient Practice Fusion is in this category.

Kerri

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

Reasonable EHR Software

We use Practice Fusion in multiple Clinical Locations to document patient information. We have services offered aside from our traditional medical services that need to be documented but not in our regular EHR. Practice Fusion is easy to use from scheduling to provider notes and a great tool for small clinics or clinics where multiple locations need a reasonable software.

Pros

It was free and even though it is now paid it is and EHR with great pricing.

Cons

Prescriptions almost do not look real. When writing prescriptions in this software even though printed on RX paper, the prescriptions look like anyone could have written the prescription. A lot of pharmacies in our area want to call and verify they are real.

Galen

Reviewed on 06/08/2022

none

Pros

the software overall is easy to use and chart

Cons

Always having issues or is down and a problem is being fixed. Used to be free now $150 a month

Catherine Chun

Reviewed on 31/07/2017

Practice Fusion is a free EHR system with a good user interface and fluid navigation.

We are grateful this free EHR, it saves us a lot of money. However, we hope Practice Fusion will provide its own billing system for us, and we are willing to pay for the billing service. As we all know that the billing is the most important part of medical clinic.
Thanks!
Catherine Ye

Pros

1. Providing good features ( Schedule including online booking, Patient demographics, management documents, E Prescription, Insurance and verification, Immunizations, Allergies, Smoking status, Vital sign, customized templates, Referrals, lab order and receiving results, image order and receiving results, Soap Note, Message, Patient portal and MIPS report) for free.
2. Providing free learning center in Practice Fusion EHR system.
3. Providing a free custom service ( with Phone, Email. Message, Online chat).
4. Providing report for regulatory compliance and qualify for CMS incentives.
5. Practice Fusion provides Cloud based EHR system. So, you can access the EHR system at any time from any places including out of county if you have internet access.
6. HIPAA, ICD-10, CPT, HL7 compliance and ONC certified.
7. Practice Fusion EHR system is easy to learn with very good navigation design.
8. Practice Fusion provides some of useful reports ( Patient, Chart notes, Diagnosis Drug interactions, Allergy interaction,
e-Prescription per provider, Medication, Patient lists, Referrals, Appointment, Payer, and Activity feed and audit report).

Cons

1. Practice Fusion has no billing management feature although it can been integrated with other billing software.
2. There is Payer list problems with payer codes, and custom service staffer don't know how to solver the issues.
3. Practice Fusion don't provide our own account manager, we have to explain our issuers each time when we contact customer service representatives.
4. We don't have any communication channel with up level staffer and technical engineer. So, when we have technical or want to have better features, we are lack of connection with Practice Fusion EHR desire team member.
5. Because Practice Fusion is free, the integration with labs and image centers are limited and slower.
6. Practice Fusion doesn't provide onsite help, and there are no regional help centers.
7. Lack of billing feature is a good issue. The processor of integration is completed and have a lot of issues with billing software companies.
8. Because of the billing issue, there is a problem to meet the cost requirement for MIPS from CMC .
9. There is no upper level help staff available in Practice Fusion Customer service.
10. Practice Fusion only provide limited reports. There are no billing and financial Reports. Such as, daily, monthly, yearly receivable and revenue reports.
11. We hope Practice Fusion will provide its own billing system for us, and we are willing to pay for the billing service.

Paige
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

We are a small outpatient psychiatric office and Practice Fusion was great for our budget!

Great value for the price. We are just starting to implement the patient portal and find it is another useful tool for some patients.

Pros

We love the price, as a small office (2 providers) our budget was limited and this was appealing. I knew other offices larger than ours that used it and they recommended it as well. There is a lot that Practice Fusion is capable of and I think we are only hitting the surface of how it can make our jobs easier. I really like how updox (faxing system) coordinates with Practice Fusion and we can upload what we need into the chart so easily.

Cons

I felt it was difficult to navigate Practice Fusion, but then when we started using it I was also setting up a private practice so that made things more difficult because I really didn't know what I needed as far as intake templates and how to set up my notes to make it quick and easy. After some tries I think we are doing pretty well. The only thing I wish was different (and maybe this can be done and I just don't know how) is that I could duplicate the previous note on a patient and then I can see in one glance what was discussed at our last appointment and then type the new note over the last note. I list their current medications and past medications at the top of the subjective section and so if this could be brought forward on each additional note then all I would need to do is make changes as the occur and not have to keep a "master" word document that I have to update and then copy and paste.

Shirish

Reviewed on 22/05/2018

I have been using the free version of PracticeFusion for over 3 years now and am generally...

It serves as a nice EHR for our Physician's practice. Also i got valuable help from the PF technical support team when i was trying to integrate this EHR with our billing software Kareo.

Pros

The software has been easy to use. Until now most of my questions were answered in a timely fashion.

Cons

Since introducing the subscription model this company has changed a lot. I have two locations with two separate instances of PF for historical reason. Since we have one Dr at both those locations i would like to combine them into one. I have already signed up for the subscription at our main location. However it is almost impossible to get someone from Technical Support to talk to. I am an IT person myself and am convinced that my problem will be solved within 5 minutes if only i could talk to the right person. The customer rep that called to collect my subscription has a phone number that just hangs up when called and she NEVER responds to emails. This is not customer service that I am used to in the USA - even third-world countries have better customer service.....

Jill

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

Adequate for a small practice

For our therapists, Practice Fusion has always allowed a highly customizable chart note function. From the billing side, there is room for improving automating charting to superbilling.

Pros

Practice Fusion integrates with a handful of billing softwares and generally works fine for EHR functions for a small practice. There are a few buggy things that have not been worked out as they went from a free software to a per provider subscription, but they do seem to continue to add features that help with efficiency and seamless processing of medical transactions.

Cons

Little bugs, ie, a date range filter that will not respond to the calendar and so must always be manually typed. To get these annoyances addressed technical support first requires checking internet speed and other hardware factors that are already verified sufficient and have nothing to do with the simple coding issue at hand. Also, superbilling is missing some automation from the chart note to the bill that is found in many other EHRs.

Cynthia

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Practice Fusion User Friendly

Overall great system for the price. We chose to stay with them when it went from free to subscription because it was so user friendly and the cost affordable.

Pros

Super intuitive when you first set up Lots of templates available. Customer Service is great about helping

Cons

We never fully integrated with the practice management system recommended by Practice fusion at the practice managements suggestion that it would not work well, which was confusing.

Ali

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Easy

Used it for 6 years, but i have to move up because of the lack of many features we needed.

Pros

Very easy to use. No need for training. Very simple. Fast. Integrating with labs is easy. Integrating with radiology is easy.

Cons

Not many features that can advance the practice. Very slow in putting new features in the system so we can get more work done.

Kareo Clinical

The ease of use
Angus

Reviewed on 26/07/2017

Fantastic Web Based EMR

Pros

It is web based EMR. Our office found it easy to implement. It is great that any computer with internet access can be your work computer. I compared to other EMR's - it as a clean modern interface. It is built to get you meaningful use and other quality measurements. It is completely free to use, so you can try it out. The support is also superb - chat support is better than phone support most of the time. Our office productivity has gone up after we implemented it, something I have never heard about another clinic after implementing an EMR.

Cons

I wish I could eRX narcotics in California. I wish there was a view that had in order all the things that as happened: refills, encounters, messages, documents. I also wish in the summery view there was a pane for tasks in the patient summary.

Dr J

Reviewed on 22/04/2017

I absolutely LOVE Practice Fusion!

I bought another EHR a few years ago, but after training, it was still hard to use, so I didn't use it at all! I tried 3 different EHRs, but if was Practice Fusion that was the easiest and the friendliest. I started using PF full time 1 week after playing around with it and watching a couple of training videos on the site. I've introduced my colleagues to PF, and many of them are using it now. I even "train" my friends who want to use PF to make it easy for them to start! A lot of my friends refer to me as their PF IT!

Pros

FREE, ease of use, training videos on the website that anyway one access at any time to self-educate. I

Cons

That they do maintenance on thursday nights from 8-1. I wish that they would do maintenance around 1-2AM to 4-5AM on Sundays or something.... But thank goodness, they haven't had to be offline too often anymore

Alice

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Benefits do NOT outweigh the risks

Once your new user status is up, and the likelihood of you switching EHR's is very low, there will be no support, and no accountability. With ever changing regulations, payer policies, clinical guidelines, drugs and technologies on market, certification requirements and on and on, do you really need to worry about how your EMR is going to force another change on your practice and livelihood.

Pros

simplistic design, customizable templates, integrated calendar that answering service can use for scheduling, used to be free

Cons

Labs do not get attached to referrals. As a Nephrologist immersed in lab results, this is a key function for me! When remedy ticket is created, the representative talks in circles, sometimes taking a week to reply. One rep finally acknowledged this was a known issue.

One year later, I contacted cust service to request a full data extraction to migrate to another EHR. Same run around. Tried the live chat, no one came to chat, not even a chatbot. Tried the service phone line. Following prompts for "patients and providers with accounts", the recording directs patients to their providers, then disconnects without even addressing provider issues. Tried a different prompt on customer service line, placed on hold by recording, then a live person comes on just to put me on hold for another 5 minutes before I get disconnected.

The direct messaging function for other PF users stings. The messages or attachments cannot be recognized as a consult or lab result etc, only as message.

lab or imaging orders that are still outstanding do not produce alerts. No shows do not produce alerts. Billing issues do not produce alerts. These factors make PF a glorified blog with minimal extra functions rather than a true EHR.

Their attempts at assisting in clinical decision making fails. It is geared mostly for primary care physicians. ex: If the patients last BP was suboptimal, there will be an annoying banner to tell you the last BP was suboptimal. I'm a Nephrologist, patients with easy to control BP do not get referred to me, I don't need a distracting banner for this, or to remind me to ask patients if they have urinary incontinence, or screen them for HCV. You can bank on a reminder to screen for lipids when they get an advertising account from a statin maker.

The fact that their previous CEO advertised that "PF is free and will always be free for providers", and now they are charging a monthly fee or will hold your charts indefinitely should tell you that PF is not a company to be trusted. There is a high likelihood of future drastic changes in cost or service since many clients are captive by the difficulties of changing EHR's.

ann

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

Do not sign up with this EMR. Look elsewhere. False advertising.

've been with Practice Fusion for 7 years. When I joined, they promised that the service would always be free. Seriously, that was there main selling point. Always free. About 5 years in, they sold the company and now the story has changed. Now it's $99/provider/month. I tolerated the issues with PF when it was free because I was saving so much money that I could deal with the short comings. Now that I have to pay for it I want to warn people not to join. Once you join an EMR, it's hard to switch so I feel stuck. There is NO customer service. I've been trying to reach my rep for over a month and no response. When I created a customer service ticket, again, no response. Basic things that should be simple to do are impossible on Practice Fusion. For instance, I can't set up automatic reminders for patients to come in for their annual exams. If a patient wants their chart to be released, you have to download each document one by one. It takes an hour to download a chart. I've come to dread records released requests. If you want to create reports, patient lists forget it. Basic reports are not supported. I've been asking for the same basic technology for 7 years and all I heard was " great suggestion, we will send it to our development team". Then nothing happens. Now, it's gotten so bad, I can't even reach a live person. You have to submit a ticket for issues and no one responds. My office manager has tried to set up meetings with our rep (you can do it online) and he doesn't ma

Pros

Easy to use. Started with the company 7 years ago because it was free and advertised that it would always be free. They lied.

Cons

No customer service. Cannot perform basic easy functions. Cannot send patient reminders to have them call for an annual appointment. If a patient wants their chart released or an insurance company needs there chart, you have to download each document, lab one by one. It can take an hour to copy one chart. The only bulk thing you can download are the notes but everything else has to be downloaded one by one. I've been requesting basic functionality for 7 years and nothing gets done. Now you can't even get them to respond to help tickets or scheduled online meetings.

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

User for 5 years Direct Primary Care (no insurance participation)

This partially forced takover is unfortunate for those of us trying to reduce cost for our patients and provide better care. All scripts is solely interested I couldn't be less interested in All scripts. I'll go back to paper first.

Pros

Formerly free - relatively simple and easy to use. Now not worth the monthly cost - not even close.

Cons

Practice Fusion sold out on a promise it would always be free. After investigation, I learned why and understand ie. Govt legal issues expecting to cost millions.
Having had many EHR/EMR over my 30 yrs practice, All scripts is needed of worst companies to deal with. Horrible support now evident with Fusion, click crazy environment. Uncertain what changes will occur with Fusion.

Washington

Reviewed on 19/12/2017

Our experience with PF is very good .. complete and very easy to use.

We were able to satisfy the initial medical necessity requirement and collected the first incentive for the three doctors in the office. We need more help in pursuing the subsequent incentives for using the EHR.

Pros

Complete and very user-friendly. We have used this program since April of 2012 and it has served us very well. It is very easy to use. Even a newly hired staff can start using it right away.

Cons

The PA module needs to be repaired. It is frustrating. The member's ID should be automatically posted from the member's insurance profile. The phone number formatting and autofill should coordinate. The saving does not work so I have to start all over again.

magda

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

MEDICAL RECORDS SOFWARE

WE ARE USING PRACTICE FUSION ALMOST 8 YEARS, THE SET UP IS VERY WELL DONE, THE COMMUNICATION WITH OUR PRACTICE FUSION MANAGMENT IS FAST, THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU AND FAST TO RESPOND BY EMAIL AND THE PHONE

Pros

WE USE PRACTICE FUSION FROM 2012, WE WERE THE FIRST TO START WITH THEM, THE SOFTWARE IS EASY TO USE, VERY FRIENDLY AND VERY GOOD ORGANIZED, LOTS OF OPTION FOR USERS, ALWAYS UPDATING ALL REQUERED INFORMATION BY MEDICARE

Cons

NOT REALLY MUCH WHAT I DO NOT LIKE, WILL RECOMMED THIS SOFWARE TO OTHER HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS, PLUS THEIR PRICE IS VERY ACCEPTABLE TO COMPARE WITH OTHERS

Robert

Reviewed on 25/01/2017

Great EMR....The BEST I have ever used

Over the past 25 years I have tried almost a dozen systems in different settings. They all seemed to promise a lot, and delivered very little. I have used systems that cost over a million dollars for my small office, and many were tried in the $-$ range. I would gladly put Practice Fusion up against them all. It is great and it delivers exactly what they promise and they also provide the best customer support that I have seen in the EMR field.

Pros

The service. The ease of use. The comprehensive nature

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like

Ellen

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Think carefully before using

I have used practice fusion since 2010. In the beginning, tech support was helpful and expedient. While there were many system fixes, in the beginning, they generally improved the situation. However, over the last several years, the tech supports has declined significantly. Even more frustrating is the ability to communicate with a supervisor to resolve issues. Most recently, there is an error in a drug called Belbuca, only approved for pain because Practice fusion feels that it is the same as suboxone!. Have tried to explain to many tech support, same pull down menu. A little better on the phone but no change in results. Ridiculous that this cannot be resolved.

Pros

Free

Cons

Poor customer support.