About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Troy M.

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

Deputy is seriously like the sheriff that came in and cleaned up our employee scheduling...

We had employees staying clocked on after shifts milking the clock. We didn't notice it until it was time to run payroll. Now this tells me whenever someone stays on more than 5 minutes past their shift. Or clocks in more than 5 minutes early. 6 stores, 3 shifts a day, it really adds up quickly!

Pros

Easy to learn. As the person in charge I not only had to learn this product, but I had to train everyone else on this product. And not just train them, but sell them on why it was better than what we were using. Luckily, Deputy is so complete, it was easy. They haven't forgotten a single step.

Cons

I wish it synced with my Google calendar. Only thing missing.

George C.

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Easy Time clock solution

Easy to use.

Pros

The mobile app and web client make it easy for employees too clock in and out. You can also establish boundaries so that mobile app users are not clocking in away from the work location. Management can easily be notifies who is on time, late, or did not clock in at all.

Cons

It's not free but it definitely is worth it's value if you are paying for other time clock software.

Rachael C.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 10/11/2016

Outstanding Customer Support

Since implementing deputy towards the end of 2015 in our business, I have worked closely with Jake and Joseph on making the system work with ease and ensure we are using the system to its potential.
Our business has a high turnover of transient employees who work varied hours and days of work which makes it hard for our managers to roster efficiently.
The team at Deputy have worked with us to add custom features which can help with our daily struggles in turn saving us time and money by being able to roster effectively and ensure we are being compliant at each step.
As the Payroll officer for our Australian and New Zealand region, Deputy have allowed me to streamline the fortnightly payroll process. Removed the need for any manual inputting, in turn ensuring we have time for quality checks, within our limited time constraints on payroll day.
We are a fast paced business and this system works extremely well for our managers creating and publishing the rosters, as well as confirming timesheets.

Pros

Worked closely with our team to add additional features required
Fast response time
Realistic time-frames
Great problem solving skills, and solutions
Helps with rostering efficiently,
Forecast of costs,
Ensures Compliance
Reporting functions
Payroll inputting has reduced from 1.5 days to 1Hrs due to new seamless payroll integration
New upgrade of system is more user friendly and responsive

Cons

More updates on system features/upgrades to come
More training for Support staff on system set up
Doesn't do 'Modern award' interpretation. Although we have now got the system to interpret the Award this was a lot of custom features we worked with the Development team on.

Top Deputy Alternatives

Kevin B.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

The team at QB Gelato is very pleased with Deputy. It is easy to use and the team members love...

Pros

As QB Gelato continues to grow we are finding the tools within Deputy to be extremely valuable. For example, we have set up our 'Opening, Closing & Daily Checklists' in Deputy under tasks which allows us to run our business as paperless as possible. In addition, it gives Management the ability to check-in and see if tasks are being completed when not at the shop. Being able to communicate updates to the team members and request a confirmation that they have read the communication is brilliant. I look forward to putting the scheduling module to the test this summer as we are adding on a mobile truck to our business. I have no doubt Deputy will exceed any scheduling requirements. My final comment has to do with processing payroll and the integration between Deputy and our payroll system. Having this integration feature is such a time saver. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to run payroll as the hours from Deputy import seamlessly into our payroll system. We are extremely pleased with Deputy and highly recommend this software application for scheduling. A final note... support is excellent!

Cons

At the present time there is nothing we dislike about Deputy. The support team is always there to guide you through issues.

Nigel G.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 30/04/2017

Business Critical - Couldn't be without it!

Pros

We love the fact that it gives both the manager and the staff the flexibility to control their shifts and it gives the employees a sense of ownership - they are almost responsible for their own time management.

Not to mention all the flexibility it gives the management of building shift templates, managing leave and the especially the time sheets (now that paid breaks are a feature) it makes payroll preperation a breeze. (We haven't yet used the Xero payroll integration and the Xero payroll has not yet been rolled out in our country, but we are looking forward to it).

As a busy little cafe we have also used the task management feature to cover off all of our daily / weekly food safety requirements which makes it much easier for everyone to input their duties and the simple fact is - if its easier, it gets done.

Before moving to Deputy we tried a few other products but this one seemed to suit us best and one of the main reasons we moved is because we felt it offered the best value for money especially as our staff numbers change all the time.

We have recently expanded our operation to second location and without Deputy the shift management could have been hectic. Having this system already in place just meant that we had one less thing to worry about.

Deputy has become an integral part of our daily routine.

Cons

As mentioned earlier we are a busy little cafe so we spend most of our time on the shop floor, whilst Deputy has a fantastic mobile options and visibility, as managers it would be great if had more flexibility to "approve" more employees requests on the go like shift swaps and leave applications.

Also I found that the employees with Android phones seem to have a few bugs still hiding away in their app and they also don't yet have access to the task manager on their phones.

However, these are fairly small issues in the great scheme of things and based on the development rate and technical support I have received to date I have no doubt that these are already in the development pipeline. We look forward to the updates as they roll out.

Mindy D.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Deputy is fairly easy to use and has been a great help in setting up a new payroll system.

Pros

It connects to all our offices and is easily adjustable. Signing in and out is very simple for everyone and it's nice to have an all in one scheduling, asking for time off, signing in and out.

Cons

Setting up the schedule is difficult. I have to copy and paste each day for each person, even though their schedule remains the same because it's not automatically setting it up properly. The new Auto scheduler should see that "Mindy works 9am-5pm Monday- Friday" every week and set it up that way, but it doesn't. It just decides what hours should be covered and randomly puts in everyone's schedule however it wants. It will also randomly start telling me that someone is working too many hours, even when I have them set up in the system for a 40 hour week and I'm only scheduling them 30 hours. There's an override, but it takes longer to set the schedule that way.
I would also like to be able to see total paid time off easily, maybe even in a chart or report. We need to keep track of how many hours per year they have used.

Vlad Z.

Reviewed on 19/04/2017

Pretty good for a small business

I quite enjoy using this program and it has great features and flexibility that I need. The updates and the information sent to employees is quick and accurate. However I'm running the food trucks operation and some features cannot be customised, such as particular locations for every day events. But that's just a minor thing. Definitely worth using it.

Pros

Easy to use for a normal business operation. Very straightforward and clear.

Cons

The location notification doesnt work very well - when I sign in Deputy at the front door of the restaurant, it says I'm 500m away. Or when I have more than 10 events a week at various locations, the locations cannot be set independently. Also, it gets very messy to allocate 30 shifts to 10 different people at 5 locations.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Vlad! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Natashia L.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

I have loved the fact that I can have as many employees that I want

easy scheduling, great communication with my staff and the ability for my staff to drop shifts, switch shifts of take an open shift.

Pros

My staff and I really like the communication in the news feed, the ability to post PDF and images as needed to all my staff as I use it for my Staff Memos. I also like the ability for them to 'confirm' the message after they have read it. Having the chance to edit the start time of a shift is also helpful as sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons

It doesn't show the amount of hours scheduled in a day at the bottom like other software I have previously used. (When I work) and it also doesn't let you type large amounts of text in the news feed.You have to send multiple messages or upload a word document. Users have also complained that they can't view what the full shift times are of other staff working, just the start times of other people. It would also be nice to have multiple people able to log in on the same computer at once. currently one person has to log off before the other can log in.

Anish R.

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

Deputy

Smooth and good experience

Pros

The fact that its very easy to customize and assign shifts to appropriate staff who are then able to receive notifications on their phones and PCs.
Deputy's customer support is also quite good.

Cons

I found that navigating at first through the web based application tends to be a bit difficult and it also does't offer a range of colors for tagging different shifts.

Paycor

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Better customer support response
Luv L.

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Makes rosters a walk in the park

Deputy makes scheduling very easy. I started using Deputy over 12 months ago and I cannot imagine being without it. Checking, updating or even scheduling can be done via a smart phone or tablet. I have started using Deputy at all the 3 southern states that I manage with the same ease. Staff love it as well as new, changes or updates are published and sent to their smart phones instantly.

I also love that I can contact deputy via the app or web app to raise a issue or ask for assistance. Also new feature requests can be made and where possible it will get implemented. Deputy have implemented features that keep improving the product.

Keep up the great work.

Pros

Cloud solution which means I don't to have any special servers to support it in house

Cons

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Luv! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Sarah B.

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

Absolutely love Deputy!

Absolutely wouldn't use anything else!

Pros

So easy to roster people in appropriate areas, ensure you have the right amount of cover, and let everyone knows what their shifts are. Logging on and off shift is quick and easy, and the phone app is wonderful for offering out shifts to be covered at short notice.

Cons

24/7 online help is good, sometimes there are communication difficulties because of the intricacies of the Australian awards system. However, having an account manager I can book a remote training or consultation session with is awesome!!

Johann K.

Reviewed on 15/12/2017

Super easy to plan, save time and money and easy for staff to use also.

Save time and money on administering payroll and chasing up employees timesheets etc and ease of planning forward rosters and staffing spends.

Pros

We save loads of time and money on payroll by using Deputy. Payroll is cut down to a couple of clicks instead of hours of chasing up timesheets etc. All our managers love the software as it's super easy to use and easy to plan prospective staff spend. Communication is pretty good also with the notifications and staff having to confirm receipt of notifications. Swapping shifts is also great. Overall an excellent program that has saved us a lot of time and headache.

Cons

We have multiple locations in each state that share staff, sometimes it can be a bit tricky to keep on top of the different locations that one staff member might work across.

The mobile app is easy to use but doesn't have the functionality of the full app such as offering staff an open shift etc.

Katherine Z.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

We switched to Deputy from hand-writing everything - SUCH a time saver and SO easy to use!

Pros

The thing I love most is that everything's in one place - Schedules, Requests Off, Time Sheets, News Feed, Task Lists, Contact Info..everything! It makes organizing our team of 30+ employees WAY easier than when we did everything by hand. No more emailing or texting out schedules, Deputy does it for us! You can access it from anywhere, which is really helpful to everyone on our team!

Cons

If I could, I would love a way to decide which notifications I'd like to receive. My position doesn't require me to personally track employees hours on a daily basis, so I don't really NEED to know if someone's running late, but I like to be notified if there are post updates in the news feed.

Daniel P.

Reviewed on 28/09/2017

Invaluable team management tool. This saves an incredible amount of time and money!

This has saved us an insane amount of time for scheduling and organizing our staff and keep them on track with daily and weekly tasks. We are very pleased with the software and everything it can do.

Pros

This software has been incredible for organizing our team and schedule. Before using this software, all our scheduling was done on paper and then spreadsheets. It's saved us hours on that part alone. Assigning tasks and being able to track whether or not they've been completed by the assignees has been very useful, especially because upper management staff may not always be in the office, so to be able to do this remotely has been very useful. The interface is also very intuitive and easy to navigate on all platforms, from the desktop tool to the iphone app. We are very pleased with this software and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I would have to say the only thing we would like to see added is a geo-tracking function that would allow us to track staff that need to spend a lot of time on the road. They are able to check in and out of locations, but if there was functionality to show real-time locations, that would be very, very helpful to us.

Derek O.

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Best scheduling tool out there

Our company has benefited greatly since the implementation of Deputy. Before Deputy we were constantly looking for better ways to streamline our scheduling, and a way to connect with all staff. With Deputy we were able to do all of these things and so much more.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Smart phone integration makes it simple for employees to request days off, change shifts, and update availability. The news feed is a great way to send and receive messages across your entire company of specific departments.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Derek! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Daryl S.

Reviewed on 22/08/2016

Great Scheduling/Timekeeping product!

I have reviewed and trial-tested dozens of online scheduling and timekeeping products over the past 7 years. Our company has multiple locations (cost centers) and employees may work in one or more locations. There are very few scheduling products able to handle our situation, and Deputy rose to the top as the one product which outperformed the others.

Pros

Deputy handles multiple Locations and job codes.
Utilizes email, texting, and app based communication (essential for the millenial workforce)
Exceptional product support and response time

Cons

The premium version handles 90% of our wishlist for ideal function at $3.00/user, but has limited access permissions/roles, and VERY limited reports. I understand the enterprise version has many more reports and other features, but and additional $2-$5 dollars per user is too stiff for me.

Response from Deputy

Daryl,

Welcome to Deputy! Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so grateful to have you as a customer. Your use of our "Locations" feature in Deputy is spot on, and we're happy that our software was able to meet your need. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future!

Happy Scheduling,

Team Deputy

Replied 23/08/2016
Jim W.

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Super easy to use, feature rich, tons of good data

Pros

Deputy allows us to easily and accurately record employee time clock data. Deputy also integrates with our point of sale software (Vend) to provide information such as labor percentages and predicted sales for the month. Scheduling is also a snap with this software. We use it to schedule 7 employees across 2 separate locations.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about Deputy is how long it takes to load the app when I am trying to clock in or out. Once it loads up and finds my location it works just fine, but that initial load time is killer.

Jane P.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

good but needs to be more flexible in setting times

Pros

Accessibility! capacity, it allows our staff to be connected and preview upcoming shifts, other scheduals for other locations. it also allows employees to be able to communicate to our person who is responsible for scheduals. Leaves are posted, availibility can be communicated and the online messsage board is also useful.

Cons

Bad that we cannot be more accurate with our scheduling "times" needed. we are constantly adapting to fit in whats available I.e. our shifts are 24 hours, so we have to enter in 11:59 vs. noon. The other fault is .. showing stresses in the schedule is great, however, it does not demonstrate that there are employees shifting locations instead of no one at work.

Roy K.

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Very useful app to check my staff's punctuality

Pros

It shows the location where my staff clock in and out. So I can tell who is lying and who isn't.
Also, it's very easy to use. When a new employee comes in it's so easy to make them use and understand the system.

Cons

Nothing. It's a little bit slow and buggy on Android app even if it now has a similar layout to iOS version
Overall user experience is great though.

Anna G.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

I do the scheduling & payroll = easy to use. employees use the ap to follow work schedules

time savings and good history. Thought of another "would like to have". The ability to track pay raises and bonuses!

Pros

easy to use, like the flexibility in the scheduling tool, timesheets are easy to use, transfer to Quick Books is easy for payroll

Cons

have tried to use the report builder to create custom reports. not straight forward, in fact frustrating so I gave up

Blaine C.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Great product. Been using Deputy for three years and it's a daily help.

Pros

Ease of use. The notifications get sent in a number of ways so all employees are on the same page, the schedule views are easy to navigate, and adding employees is super easy.

Cons

I wish the vacation and sick time modules were a little more automatic and user friendly. Having to go into the backend to decrement time is a little annoying.

Romeo R.

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

First time I used the software I understood the system easily and made my work simpler w/ the...

Pros

Easy to use and understand.
The support was quick and professional.
Very efficient in time keeping and staff know what their shifts are immediately after publishing.
Saves the environment going paperless

Cons

None. Keep up the good work
This product is very efficient and would definitely recommend this to everyone I know.

Sam M.

Fixing Update Printer issue

Customer service team member was very patient & well explained with me. Issue talked through and resolved quickly and efficiently in a friendly manner. Couldn't of been better.

Pros

Easy to use. Useful features.

Cons

Would be good to have a community rewards loyalty programme where customers could opt in to their chosen local community group and a % of their accumulated loyalty points went directly to the cause.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Sam! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Jennifer M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 06/12/2018

Dependable employee timesclock and schedule system

The program was my favorite scheduling system of all that we used. It saved us time and money overall.

Pros

I liked being able to analyze our employment spending based on our sales. The way they offered it was amazing. Really great features.

Cons

I wish there was some easier ways to clock in and communicate based on some competitor offerings.

Ranjo S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Great overall. Easy and efficient

Pros

Tracking Billable time with customers and clients is the best feature of Deputy. Often times, I see multiple clients in a day and having the ability to just run billable hours and any part of the day is a convenience, to say the least.

Cons

First, it doesn't link with Xero, my accounting and invoice software.
Second, it only works when working on one client. I often see myself working on two or three clients at a time. It would be nice to see this feature.