About Namely

People are complex, but your HR solution shouldn’t be. Namely gives you the resources to make your life easier and your employees happier. With modern, intuitive technology and a world-class team of HR experts, Namely empowers...

Browse Namely Reviews

404 of 1,124,736 reviews
Asher P.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

Great All in One System for SMBs!

Friendly support staff, easy to get set-up, many self-service tools and customizations and always improving. I am very happy with Namely.

Pros

Easy to use, modern interface with many customizations. Excellent Onboarding tools with e-signatures that create a great first impression with new hires. Integrates with our ATS

Cons

Some features could be a little more polished, but none of it critical.

BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Namely

Sentric's goal-setting features were sub-par.

SentricHR

Reasons for Switching to Namely

More features, more self-service customizations

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to continue enhancing our platform to continue giving you the functions and flexibility that fit your company needs.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Avoid at all costs

Terrible - service reps do not know the system, standard payroll practice, let alone any questions. Service tickets get lost, takes months for resolution of more complex tasks and extreme micromanagement

Pros

It's pretty. There is really no other pro.

Cons

HRIS:
No proper Leave tracking for maternity/paternity, jury duty, bereavement leave ETC
There's no way to see a PTO accrual history
Employees are not alerted when their address format is invalid
Only one set of holidays - UK sees all US Holidays
When reporting structure changes you have to make MANUAL changes in Namely Payroll IN ADDITION to doing a mass upload in the HRIS
Doesn't auto track history of Job titles
Need to manually assign PTO to employees not automatic
Leave approval amends, not sent
Lack of point in time reporting
Does not auto assign pay group based on the type of pay entered

Payroll:
You can't retract partial payments
Had to print W2s and sort through employees that electronically consented and send out those that did not
"We have to do all of the calculations manually when there is a comp change in the middle of a pay period "
Invalid addresses prevent us from proceeding with payroll
We are unable to easily add "time and a half" for employees who work on holidays
Takes weeks to add a new department code
Tax withholdings do not flow seamlessly from HRIS to Payroll
If we need to Mark an employee as FICA tax exempt we need have to reach out to Namely as only they can do this
Employee ID do not flow over to HRIS
Manually have to add holiday pay for employees does not flow into payroll
You have to manually exclude employees from payroll once terminated

Time and attendance:
Time card entry is tedious
PTO doesn't communicate to Payroll
You have to man

Toni W.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Namely Software

Pros

I love the ability to have all of my onboarding forms in one place. Employees are able to electronically sign and eases the onboarding process.

Cons

The feature that I like the least is the benefits process. The last two years I have had problems with registering new employees with the insurance and it seems like I end up doing the registration myself so the employees can get their insurance.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that Namely has been able to offer you onboarding features that best fit your company.

Top Namely Alternatives

Rachel R.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 03/05/2021

Very helpful!

The Namely team has been incredibly helpful from day 1. They took ample time to walk our team through the entire process and trained us up. They anticipated our needs and questions all along the way.

Pros

With Namely, we have been able to make all of our HR files secure and digital.

Cons

I love everything about Namely. My only wish is that they integrated with a larger list of other softwares.

Zenefits and BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Namely

Namely was easier to use and more user-friendly. Their customer support is top-notch!

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our user-friendly platform has enabled your company to go digital. Additionally, we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed working with our Pod Service Team, as it was designed to provide our clients with top-notch support.

Replied 05/05/2021
Tess R.

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

CircleCI<>Namely

Our experience with Namely has definitely been tumultuous. We had a very rocky start and it continued to be rocky as the turnover rate was extremely high on their CS team. We had about 6 CSMs within one year. Constant issues with the platform and no resolution in sight. Things are better now and Namely seems to be making great strides towards progress, but still has work to do.

Pros

-one source of truth for all employee information
- easy to track/request time off
-resources tab is helpful for new hires
-place to store private employee data
-very customizable

Cons

-SO many issues in the beginning(especially with workflows and onboarding templates)
(ex. when you submit a salary change workflow you have to do two separate workflows for base salary and commission, even though the commission piece is added into the workflow).
-can't easily hide legal name from other employees view
-tasks tab is pretty much no use to us. When you assign a task to someone there is no way to set reminders or alert you if you have a task overdue. Also, no notification or red flag that says you have incomplete tasks on the homepage.

Paylocity, ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Namely

We thought it would be best for what we needed. Globally distributed. Payroll+HRIS. Customizable.
Allison S.

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

Highly Recommend

Pros

Namely is easy to use. I highly recommend using all options for a true integrated experience - HRIS, Payroll, Benefits & Time. It has definitely enabled our small People Ops team be able to support our company's rapid growth. It has a great user interface for our employees. Namely is constantly adding new features and improvements, which shows me they are constantly looking to adapt their product to the needs of their customers.

Cons

Namely is very much "self-service", which can be great if you have the answers and the knowledge. However, there are some drawbacks with payroll, which can often provide tax & regulatory challenges. Getting a hold of the right person when we have detailed payroll questions, can sometimes be difficult.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Namely

At the time, Bamboo did not offer a Payroll integration, among other reasons.
Leslie L.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 22/06/2020

Namely HRIS

Excellent

Pros

I love the viewability of the site for our staff.

Cons

Back end functionality and learning. Lots of e-learning but we have admin users who need to be able to have a walk through while they are on their machine to understand. Namely does however, do a good job of having plenty of YouTube videos that show you the walk through.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and have been releasing more intuitive training courses to make you and your HR team's e-learning experience as seamless as possible.

Replied 28/07/2020
Trish S.

Reviewed on 30/11/2016

Reviewing Namely for HRIS, benefits admin & payroll processing

We love Namely for our HR, benefit and payroll administration. And our employees enjoy the social feed area as well. The site is flexible, easy to use and we get wonderful support from our Namely team!

Pros

I mostly love being able to have HR, benefits and payroll information all in one spot! Of course Namely is not the only program which can handle these processes, but I do find Namely very flexible and capable of handling all our needs.

Cons

We may be unique, but we do value anonymity in our review process. I do wish the review program settings could be set at the company level so that all managers could initiate the process in the same manner. without my needing to ensure it is handled in the same way each time. I've communicated our need and I'm sure Namely is assessing to see if this is something other companies could use as well.

Amanda Q.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 07/12/2016

Great product with variable implementation and customer support

I work for a nonprofit organization with more than 60 employees in over 20 states (we're a remote workforce), and we began using Namely after leaving a different software in the summer of 2016. I struggled to decide between a three and four-star review. For now, I'm going with a three, but I reserve the right to revise upward or downward in future weeks and months.

Our sales and introductory phase with Namely was excellent. We learned a lot about the product and Namely's offerings, and, obviously, our organization was sold. As I've seen noted in some other reviews, there were problems with our implementation. Our payroll was set up incorrectly, even though Namely had payroll registers to model on, and that error resulted in the underpayment of taxes. To Namely's credit, they put a lot of work in to correct the issue and file amendments, but it was disappointing that poor implementation resulted in something like that. We've also had spotty responsiveness and support, but that has improved as the kinks have gotten worked out (which is somewhat backward to what you, as a customer, might want).

Outside of the implementation and responsiveness, we love the platform. I love that we have so much control over payroll (that wasn't the case with other software), and the HRIS side of things is much more sleek, streamlined, and easy to understand.

In summary, I would say our relationship and experience is improving over time, but there's still some damaged trust and suspiciousness after the rocky implementation.

Pros

Customizable; modern; streamlined

Cons

Ad hoc (sometimes it feels like new features or functionality is tacked on); inconsistent (sometimes, the product doesn't work as described)

Santiago C.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. Works out of the box but it does adapt to your...

Pros

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. After using many other platforms in the past, I can say that Namely provides an easy to use platform that works out of the box but offers a great deal of customization to fit your workflows. They are constantly releasing new features and improvements that are visible and useful with a support staff that is always ready to help.

Having HRIS, Payroll and Benefits in one place and dedicated client rep and dedicated benefits rep is definetely hard to beat.

Cons

Integration between payroll and HRIS is a work in progress that still needs work. I am confident they will continue to improve it moving forward.

Jennifer A.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 27/01/2017

Innovative HR Software

Namely provides a software package that covers the essential needs of any HR department, including HRIS, payroll and benefits administration. HRIS is easy to use and logical from both an administrator and self-service perspective. Payroll is quick to run and has one of the fastest processing times I've seen. Benefits just work. Lots of options to meet your needs from the benefits side with great transparency for employees to understand the total cost of benefits provided to them.

It's important to realize that Namely is a newer entrant to the HR software arena. You will not find the level of complexity and advanced options available through some of the larger legacy systems out there, but there is no software bloat in the Namely system either. The company is continually enhancing their products and provides updates on their software roadmap up to 18 months out, which I have never seen an HR software company do before. This level of transparency really helps to build confidence that this is a company that is open to feedback and acts quickly to ensure they are providing their clients with the best system out there.

Pros

Ease of use and modern platform that is easily recognizable for employees and managers.

Cons

There needs to be more integration between the different modules (HR & Payroll), but this is something that is on their roadmap. I'm already seeing improvements after being in the software for a couple of months.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 04/05/2020

Super customizable HRIS

Pros

Love that it is so customizable and I can add whatever data fields I need and the majority of these data fields are reportable (the reporting feature on pretty much any field is incredibly helpful for us). Namely listens to its customers and continuously adds features that address pain points.

Cons

These aren't cons per se but they are pain points for us: as wonderful as the customizability in adding data fields is, the HRIS is kind of basic in terms of functionality that just make sense - for example data flowing from the HRIS to the payroll system (only some of it actually does), terminations, rehires and benefit enrollment, not being able to edit onboarding templates (need to copy the template, edit and then create vs. just making edits to a current one) ...

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you find our platform to be super customizable. As for your pain points, we will be be sure to relay them to our Product team.

Replied 09/10/2020
Colleen C.

Reviewed on 15/06/2017

Line up your nagging people tech problems, Namely mows them down. And it's a ride mower ;-)

Don't let your fear of change deter you from moving to a truly innovative and integrated solution.

Pros

Long list here. Everything in one place. Simple to access. Easy to use. Mobile. Integrated with several other key partners. FABULOUS customer service. Conversion is handled professionally, competently and quickly. Managers are delighted to be able to master the "dark arts" of goals, performance reviews, time off, resources and more. From the CEO out to every person at Namely, there's a vibe of energy, commitment and smarts. How refreshing.

Cons

Short list here. Like any innovative, new solution, there are features we users crave. The Namely product development team are fast and responsive. The product roadmap is shared with us. Oh, this was the cons list. Sorry. Done.

Katherine B.

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

Really great software

Pros

I really like the user interface design and the ease of processing payroll. I also really enjoy all the customization options there are. I can pretty easily get all the data that I need.

Cons

I'm not a big fan of the performance feature. They used to have issues with responsiveness on the support side, but they have fixed that. They have a really great Help Community feature now that has pretty much fixed that.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you have found our platform to be user-friendly and customizable.

As for support, we're constantly striving to enhance our service model and are happy that you find the Namely Help Community to be useful and responsive.

Replied 02/09/2020
Caitlin P.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

User Friendly system but poor customer service model

Customer service experience has been poor since they changed their service model in 2018.

Pros

The user experience is simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

The build out for open enrollment and feeds is extremely lengthy and pricey.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and truly apologize for your negative experience with customer service. Based on client feedback and the request for dedicated support with our Service Team, we introduced a new and improved service model this past May. We are confident that our new Pod Service Model will enhance our clients' overall experiences.

Replied 30/11/2020
Amber A.

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Needs more work

I have only been using Namely since the end of May 2019. I am hoping that as time goes on it will become easier to navigate, but at this time I am not enjoying the move.

Pros

I like the idea of only having to use 1 program to manage employee timekeeping, payroll and benefits.

Cons

This program has not been an easy transition nor has it been easy learn. One of my biggest issues with Namely is the process of inputting new hires. They call it Onboarding, and the new hire has to have an email or you have to setup one for them. Once you have completed the onboarding process then you have to go through many different screens to finish the setup, and then wait for the system to catch up and generate an employee ID so they can start clocking in/out on the time clock. I have found that if I do this in the morning, the employee ID is not issued until end of day. The old program I used I could setup the new hire in 10 minutes and have them clocking in and out right away. Clocking in/out for team members has been a struggle too because it does take a lot of time and if you have more than one person attempting to clock in/out for their shift, someone is always late or ends up with a missed punch because of all the "ok"'s they have to hit. If they miss the last "ok" it does not record their punch.

Angie T.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Namely is AWESOME!

Pros

The Onboarding has completely changed our hiral process and cut my time by hours. It is so easy and everything is done before employee comes in. I love it.

Cons

Probably the least thing is that alot of info from Namely Payroll does not flow thru to Time.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our all-in-one platform has saved you valuable time.

Jack M.

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

Great system

It's a great place for everyone in the organization to be linked together. Aside from just the HR side, you get updates on birthdays, anniversaries, can give people shoutouts, etc. which is really cool.

Pros

We moved from ADP to Namely and it is a much more engaging HRIS system and allows you to be linked to members of the organization. Payroll isn't fun as it is, but Namely allows it to be :)

Cons

The timecard option. It's pretty tedious to put in your for each day. As well, if you do overtime it becomes even more difficult. A process that takes 5-10 minutes, I feel like could easily be simplified into 1 minute.

Lauren L.

Reviewed on 15/06/2016

Namely is a powerful tool that elevated our company's HR department

Pros

Their customer support is second to none, and one of their greatest assets. We love our account manager and the support he provides us daily. Our employees old and new are excited to use this software, they love the fact that is it an all in one solution with one login and that the interface is modern and not antiquated like some of the other HRIS solutions out there. We have been able to customize this software to our need and add different parts of the platform gradually as we grow.

Cons

We had to make a few tax adjustments when we implemented our payroll with Namely, our state has some intricate nuances with state tax. It seems like they are growing their tax department and they work to help with these issues.

• Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

User Friendly HR system for your employees

More shiny and user friendly than most older HRIS tools. Good for small and medium businesses.

Pros

From the employees' perspective, the user interface is quite intuitive and easy to use. I can very easily get in and use the system for anything HR related. It also has some nice social features like a timeline of employee events with the ability to comment and like. I think there's a lot more functionality for it that we don't use, so there could be much more to Namely.

Cons

I heard that it was not the easiest software for initial configuration for our HR team. As stated before, I think there are other features we don't use it for. Not sure if that's on us not being ready or due to namely.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that your employees find our platform to be user friendly and intuitive.

Replied 28/07/2020
Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 25/08/2017

Solid software

I would definitely recommend giving Namely a chance.

Pros

Easy to use, amazing payroll system, great reporting features. Particularly like the homepage- has a social media type feel which works for our company communication strategy.

Cons

Namely gets quite buggy from time to time so we are constantly having to let our account rep know about these issues.

Donald O.

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Namely HRIS - an excellent if limited HRIS platform

Pros

Namely's interface is easy to use. It is responsive, and is flexible in its ability to produce reports. Running payroll is quite easy, and the individual paystubs are among the clearest I've seen on any platform.

Cons

The flexibility in customizing certain menu views is limited. The creation of workflows was time-consuming and not intuitive. The e-signature function, while useful, is confusing in that when employees receive an email notifying them that they are to approve something, the email comes from an email address of an administrator, not from the person who is requesting the approval.

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

Definitely a Payroll and HR Win

Pros

I love the HR and Payroll software. The payroll feature is quite diverse for being so new, and I have found the reporting to be very useful. The team at Namely has also been extremely helpful and fast - which is so important in this industry!

Cons

There are a few places where I have to enter in things twice instead of the data automatically syncing over, but I know this is something Namely is building out!

John J.

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

Namely HRIS

Namely has been a painful experience, with no support in the roll-out or implementation. Unless you have a dedicated resource to roll-out this platform, be very prepared for late nights stuck on hold to the Customer Service Team, who will only take a message in any case.

Pros

To a degree, the intuitive nature of Namely is its saving grace.

Cons

The Customer Service, Account Management and so far - every interaction has been lack-luster.

Workday HCM

Reasons for Switching to Namely

The cost was a lot lower at the time.
Julia B.

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

Convenient HR Hub

It's a one-stop-shop for HR related employment details and most employees here find the content helpful and well- laid out.

Pros

I know anything employment related is usually found in Namely, and it's my first stop for all things that I would normally ask HR about like PTO, sick days, policies, benefits details, parking permit infor, forms, pay stubs, etc. It's convenient and intuitive.

Cons

there are two ways to submit PTO requests and one of them doesn't work for me, but that's a minor bug. For the most part (as a user) it's a helpful portal.