About Square for Retail

Square for Retail is a cloud-based point of sale (POS) and retail solution for all retailers. Key features include inventory management, customer relationship management, reporting and employee management. The solution comes with...

Browse Square for Retail Reviews

Craig G.

Reviewed on 12/05/2019

Square is a great payment platform for retail stores.

This system works great for pop-ups and retail stores. You can also track what you sell and square sends you emails when you are low on products. We will continue to use Square

Pros

How simple it is to set up. You know exactly how much you are being charged. There is no hidden extra add ons. Square updated the os, so now if your customer wants to return 1 item and they purchased two, you just pull up the item and hit return.

Cons

Just make sure you do all the updates for square and os system for any pad you are using. We use an Ipad and it works great! Not much to not like.

Jackie J.

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Easy to use for all people

We need to be able to track which massage therapist saw which client, and with the notes section, we are able to do so with ease. We can also track commission on products that way making sure no transaction gets left behind. We also use square for our payroll. Having it all linked to one account is great!

Pros

Square was very easy to navigate. It has many options to customize the software to fit any business’s needs. You can write a custom note about each transaction, making it easy to review the register at the end of the day.

Cons

I haven’t ran into any problems with the software. As a massage & wellness center, we often do events and need to take our ‘cash register’ with us. Square makes it easy using the same credit card reader for in house transactions or cell phones on the go. It is all tracked the same way.

Lynn F.

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Square for Retail is the easiest I have ever used.

This product is perfect for my needs. Works exactly as described on their website and support (if needed) is immediate and complete. Use with confidence.

Pros

Very easy to use. Quick email confirmation / almost instant at times. Fast turn around when actually getting the money into my bank account. I use it A LOT for credit card purchases over the phone (no card present). Yes, the fees are about .5% higher but always very FAST and very Reliable.

Cons

Nothing. I only use the remote card swiper when at a seminar or speaking engagement.

Top Square for Retail Alternatives

• Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

Great POS for Small Business

Overall we are pleased with Square and its features. We would like to see Square integrate better with other platforms.

Pros

Square is great for small business it allows the merchant to just pay a fee when a card is swiped rather than a monthly service fee and the percentage charged for swiping a card. They do have an inventory tracking system which is great if that is the only platform you use for inventory. You also get the benefit of free hardware if you choose not to purchase the Square POS system. Square deposits are quick, no holding funds for long periods of time like PayPal. Overall Square is very versatile and we have been very happy with it.

Cons

The inventory tracking system is cumbersome and doesn't work nicely with QBO or Shopify. It cannot sync with our Shopify store which ultimately means we have to keep both platforms updated which is a real pain.

Reviewed on 09/03/2020

Easy to accept payments on the go and fantastic integration

I can charge for my uploaded products from Etsy (which love updates), or enter a specific dollar amount when charging a different price or charging for a product that hasn’t been listed online in my store. I get paid in a reasonable amount of time and it easily integrates with the rest of my shop for recording keeping.

Pros

Along with the square credit card reader, I’m easily able to accept payments from my customers in person. I love that this is integrated with my Etsy shop. I’m easily able to charge for specific products, update my inventory when making a sale, and still keep track of the transaction inside my Etsy account.

Cons

The only thing I don’t particularly like is the up charge for accessing funds immediately, but I can usually wait the couple of days to get paid and it’s not a big deal.

Alexandra W.
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 29/04/2020

Square for Retail Review

Overall, my experience with Square has been AWESOME. it's easy to use and you can take it with you everywhere, to any events where you may be selling art and design work. I love how functional and slim it is, and how it reads most cards.

Pros

What I like most about Square is that its easily portable so you'll always have the opportunity to make money regardless where you are, as long as you have the device to hook up to you iPad, phone, or computer. It's an awesome invention, especially if you travel for work (like artists who go on tours or go to events where they sell their art). It's design is small and the software doesn't take to long to download.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it freezes up on me a couple times and I had to restart my actual phone and iPad in order for it to work properly. I'm not sure why it does it, still haven't figured it out.

Elizabeth W.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

Great for small business!

This is the best thing you could ever use for small business accounting.

Pros

I run a small craft fair booth on the weekends during the holiday season. This system made it SO easy to keep track of what sold. Not only can you put in the items and prices, you can also organize those items by seller. My aunt and grandma also sell at my booth, so when we have three people selling it's almost impossible to keep track. At the end of the day, this shows a dollar amount for each seller. It's amazing and a small business godsend.

Cons

It took me a few minutes of playing around to actually figure out how to make everything work the way I wanted.

Candace S.

Reviewed on 18/11/2020

Great for small business

The Square has been an easy to use app. There is no start-up cost but there is a 3% fee for each charge. This is very normal when it comes to credit card running fee's. I chose the square over a credit card reader because there was no start-up cost. It is also very small and portable, it can fit in my pocket so I can take it anywhere I go. The second someone needs to run their card I just snap in the square, type in the total, and swipe the card. It offers them digital receipts through email or text. The square also sends me daily and weekly reports. It breaks down my totals for each day and shows graphs on my growth. I highly recommend this product.

Pros

This app is quick and easy to use. Took a total of 3 minutes to download it and get it linked up to my account. When I have a customer ready to pay, I just snap in the square, type in the total to charge, and swipe the card. SO EASY!

Cons

Currently I have no complaints about the Square. I have been using the Square for about 2 months with no issues.

• Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Reviewed on 06/08/2020

A MUST For Any Small Business

Great experience overall, perfect for just about any small business.

Pros

Simple, easy to use, and affordable credit card processing! Cheaper than any alternative, and we can take almost any form of payment now.

Cons

If you don't use the card reader for the transaction, the fee is higher, but that is to be expected. Just use the free card reader, or upgrade to a nicer one.

Amber D.

Reviewed on 21/03/2019

So convenient to take card payments anywhere, anytime

Pros

It's great that I am able to take card payments for my services by just plugging this little device into my phone. It has saved me so many times from having someone not be able to pay me since they don't have sufficient cash on hand. Also, I love that it stores the users information, so once you have made a payment on square it will always send your emailed receipt automatically without having to reenter all of your info.

Cons

No complaints! It's very handy to have. I guess I would prefer less commission to be taken, but I guess thats always a given!

Olga T.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 19/03/2020

Good choice if you have no other choice

We are able to process payments with credit cards in the mobile business.

Pros

We provide the mobile auto glass service not only to big dealerships and body shops but to regular customers as well, we have to have an app to process an app/equipment that will allow them to pay with credit cards. And Square does this job well most of the time.

Cons

First of all -the fees, even though they are reasonable. but nobody likes fees, right. Second, there's almost always an issue with syncing Square with QuickBooks, the app needs some additional work to be done.

Pam P.

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

there are a host of things I'd love changed, customer support really listens to my issues

Pros

there are lots of back office functions that I appreciate, like the ability to see remaining stock.

Cons

its not very pretty, especially when compared side by side with the regular app. its kind of dark. there are also many functions it needs, like the ability to do an exchange (bought a large, need a medium for example, or just return something within a new sale rather than a whole separate transaction) and to be able to check stock at another location (which would save me about 100 phone calls a week in peak season)

Aaron O.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Great for taking credit card payments!

Square has been a great partner for taking our business to the next level being able to taking credit cards easily. Now with covid and working remote I started invoicing clients which has transformed the way we use the software. Now I send emails and people pay with a link, amazing!

Pros

Square is easy to use and you get money fast. Lots of options for taking payments. Good desktop dashboard for all your transactions and any open items. Mobile app too.

Cons

I can't say I've had any major issues other than needing to reboot or download an update here or there. Pretty quick and easy to set everything and everyone up.

Rho L.

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

The best option for all small businesses

Pros

Without question the simplest point of sale software I've ever encountered. The hardware is easy to set up the software is so easy and convenient and it works like a charm every time. No hangups no glitches no problems.

Cons

I have no conscience whatsoever. My only advice would be to make sure that your business is making more than the monthly fee or else I would recommend not going with square retail and just going with square up. Otherwise it's awesome.

Jeff K.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 15/12/2019

Great for small business

I use this to invoice clients for services or have them pay for services provided. It's quick and easy to use. The price is reasonable and standard for this service.

Pros

The apps is easy to use and makes collecting payment for service fast and easy. I also use it to send invoices to clients as well as collecting payment at the time of service. It's easy to use with or without the card reader. Their support team is fantastic as well. When I've had to get in touch with them I got help quick and without hassle.

Cons

I've really had no issues with the software. It's intuitive and helpful to use with great support. Great software.

Rebecca K.

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Square for Retail is SO simple anyone can use it!

Pros

I love the ease/functionality of this software! I used square as a retail sales director at a high end boutique and always found the program extremely user friendly. All my sales associates learned the basics of the software within minutes of being introduced to it, making my job easier.

Cons

I have been extremely satisfied with Square software and products and will continue to refer them to friends and business associates.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Best simple retail tool

Retail/ POS

Pros

It is probably the most user-friendly software on the market for both the retailer and the customer.

Cons

With the simplicity comes the downfall of not always having the best uses to connect with accounting software or inventory options.

Laura S.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

Best Payment Processing Device for a Small Business

Pros

Square is the best option on the market for a small business to process card payments. Square is easy to use and processes payments seamlessly and securely. The selling point for me is the fact that square is easily recognizable to consumers which helps them feel more secure when completing a transaction with a small business.

Cons

The fee for square starts at 2.75% of all purchases made through the software, they also charge additional fees for stands and chip reading devices. While this does not affect customers, it does make a difference for small business especially when there are high operation costs involved in the price of sales. It would be nice to have a flat rate subscription available.

Tazlyn G.

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Gift from god

Pros

This makes selling products on the go so easy and doable anyone can do it or use the software

Cons

The software has no flaws that I’ve seen I just worry to lose the square it self

Andrew L.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 08/01/2021

Great and easy electronic payment

Its great! I really enjoy being able to use this wherever and whenever.

Pros

The super cheap and easy to use interface is awesome. Being able to carry a card reader at all times has improved the way I take deposits for gear rentals.

Cons

I dont have any problems with the software. I havent experienced any bugs or something that would make me debate switching.

Michael C.
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 20/08/2020

Square works for me!

I've been using Square now for several years after switching from other credit card processing solutions. During this time, I have not had any problems and always receive my funds without incident and on time. Much superior to PayPal in my opinion and I have pretty much stopped using that service.

Pros

The spartan software is easy to use and mostly self-explanatory. Basic functionality is free on mobile devices or the internet. Includes a handy invoice generator that looks pretty professional.

Cons

The optional add on devices (such as the terminals) seem pricey to me, which has kept me from ordering them. Processing fees are average.

Nicole B.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 01/01/2020

An App perfect for small businesses!

Square is amazing! It makes transactions on the go so much easier. From doing a brick and mortar store, to selling merch at a local Metal show on the side!

Pros

I liked how easy it was to use, how I could look back at previous transactions and keep track of the monthly profits, I love that it comes with a square reader to make brick and mortar transactions easy to use, I loved the capability to email customers their receipts, and most of all how the fees to use this service were fairly low!

Cons

I didn’t like that if I had to manually input a credit card number that it was an extra charge. It was also frustrating when the reader would not work at times with perfectly condition credit cards.

David e D.

Reviewed on 03/01/2020

Truly no hidden fees

Its been amazing not to have to worry about how much extra we will have to pay them each month. Clear and transparent transactions

Pros

You know what you're paying on every transaction, no need to go monthly through the statement trying to figure out where the hidden fees are popping up, no minimum number of transactions, just great.

Cons

I believe the new equipment could be free (chip reader) but this is just a rant! Nothing not to like about them.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

Great for small businesses

Pros

Square for Retail really shines when it comes to onboarding new employees by being very user-friendly.

Cons

I found myself looking for some features that I thought would be there that just weren't in the end, like mobile notifications.

Kris G.

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

Pros

Compact, can be carried anywhere. Easy to install and use. Can accept payments anytime at any location.

Cons

Need wifi or cell service to use for transactions. If low or no signal, payment will not go through. Occasionally payment will be rejected due to type of card used.