About ZipBooks

ZipBooks is a cloud-based accounting and payment processing solution designed for small businesses and accountants. ZipBooks allows users to create customized invoices with logos, themes and messages. The online bookkeeping...

Browse ZipBooks Reviews

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

The best app a small business owner could use

Highly recommend – beautiful, easy to use, full-featured, and more affordable than any of its nearest competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks is the most affordable, feature rich accounting software I've ever used. It allows me to accomplish everything I need, from sending expenses, to tracking time and expenses, to invoicing. I've used other software and it either didn't include time tracking or it was too expensive for my small business.

Their web app is also incredibly easy to use and is design very well. It's all organized in a way that makes sense and the charts/reports are beautiful.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with ZipBooks is their mobile app. I'm running it on my iPhone and it seems like it's just a web-app published in a shell, storing no local information. It's difficult to track time or send invoices that haven't been saved as a draft. Sent invoices also display in reverse order – with the cache clearing every time I open the app.

If they built a full-featured, native app I think ZipBooks would be perfect.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing ZipBooks

Freshbooks charges per client, and I wasn't going to double my monthly payments to them just because my business added one more client.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to ZipBooks

Time tracking
Jack D.

Reviewed on 16/03/2018

A great invoicing and accounting solution for small agencies and freelancers

A highly functional and easy-to-use platform for client invoicing and accounting.

Pros

Zipbooks is a phenomenal tool for invoicing and billing clients. As a digital agency, our team does all of our estimating, invoicing, billing, time tracking and accounting through Zipbooks, and it's been a great experience. The platform has seen continuous improvement throughout 2017 and 2018, so I have a lot of confidence that we'll continue to run our business through Zipbooks.

Cons

The slick interface comes to be a burden when reconciling transactions - if you're not an accountant by trade, it can be easy to make a mistake and have difficulty correcting it due to the streamlined presentation. After struggling with this, I've been able to refine my reporting process to work well with Zipbooks.

The project management tool/time tracking was a bit weak but it is getting better and I'm happy to see the service improve.

I would also like to see support for signing contracts/agreements for related invoices.

Mike W.

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

Great software with outstanding technical support

Pros

The software itself is fairly straightforward and easy to use, although for someone who doesn't know accounting that well it sometimes can be slightly confusing. What is really great though is that their support team is very knowledgeable and can not only help solve technical issues but can also help explain what their software means to you from an accounting standpoint.

Invoicing is simple and easy to use, integration to bank and credit card accounts continues to improve, and they continue to enhance the set of reports available to help you understand how your business is doing.

Cons

It's fairly minor stuff - the graph on the main page of the application assumes you are using accrual basis accounting, and that ends up misrepresenting the numbers you see if you are using cash basis accounting. I also don't like that I can define that my business uses cash basis but the reports always default to accrual.

It would be nice to understand how the business health score is calculated, as mine continues to decrease despite the fact that I thought my business was continuing to improve.

Top ZipBooks Alternatives

Leigh P.

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Great Customer Service

For small business, it's perfect.

Pros

The software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.

Cons

I do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.

Derek C.

Reviewed on 30/12/2016

Simply Amazing

ZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life.

Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-)

If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.

Pros

Recurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.

Cons

Can only accept internet payments with American banks.

Alex V.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 05/03/2019

Clean, powerful bookkeeping software

ZipBooks is perfect for my small business, though they have options for expansion (payroll, etc.)

I have had no major complaints so far and I think the platform is a great option if you're new to bookkeeping or experienced and want an alternative to some of the other major competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks has a very clean interface. All the data is so clear. It's a fast platform and it's easy to navigate. All the backend is there too if you're an experienced bookkeeper looking for flexibility.

Cons

The mobile app has a few bugs that are very obvious. Incorrect account balances and poor sorting of time tracking 'jobs.' Some of these bugs have been ongoing since I signed up, and a few have been fixed. I hope they keep improving the app.

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Zipbooks for personal/business accounting

I have used many other book keeping softwares during the past 5-6 years for my personal / business use. But Zip books is the easiest tool among all those solutions. Ease of use, Features, Mobile app view are some of the features that i like the most

Pros

Time Tracking and generate invoices for those times for a particulate project is once of the greatest feature that zip books has. Other than that it would be very cost efficient and also very easy for a business to use this solution for there book keeping. Support team is really quick and helpful on the support queries.

This is a all in one solution where you can handle accounts for multiple businesses easily.

Cons

Amount of restrictions that applied during the free tire is higher in count when this is compared with other solutions.

Tom H.
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Trial did not inspire a buy

None. We used it for a few months when shopping around for the right program, decided "this ain't it", and moved on.

Pros

I do like the user interface of Zipbooks. Some parts of it are certainly easier and more intuitive than QuickBooks, which we ended up going with in the end. The whole thing feels pretty streamlined. I also appreciated the customer support team. Even though I was just on a free trial I did get prompt assistance whenever I asked for it.

Cons

Overall, it just feels like an "also ran", watered down version of it's main competition - QuickBooks. I was only on the free version, so that may change when paying to unlock other features.

Furthermore, I hated that when I wanted to export my information to put it into QuickBooks, no such option was available to me. If I understand right there is no way to export data, which is ridiculous. It may be that I'm misremembering and it's just not possible to export without paying, which would also be a problem.

Reasons for Switching to ZipBooks

In the end we chose QuickBooks.
Paul H.

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Best DIY accounting software

Pros

Zipbooks is the best and easiest accounting software available out there. I know this because I free tried them all. They differentiate themselves bye the ease of use and the app that is above and beyond user-friendly. I have access to all the features that I need even though I'm on the free plan so with the upgrade you can get access to the most powerful features available. I recommend the software strongly to everyone. Paul

Cons

I'm waiting for the Android phone app to be released soon. They are expecting to be released in the beginning of the second quarter of 2018

Janet L.

Reviewed on 31/05/2018

Responsive Leadership & Support Team

It has saved us so much time and frustration and they are responsive to customer feedback.

Pros

- Simple, Attractive User Interface. Not difficult to learn or teach staff. Easy for customers to interact with.
- Shout out to the support staff who has been stellar at listening and resolving issues.

Cons

Growing company always have hiccups but they are always responsive and willing to listen to customers and fix things ASAP

Corey D.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 04/10/2017

Zipbooks is a MUST for anyone who is a freelance graphic designer!

Simply, organization for my business and invoicing needs. Excited to demo the time tracking functionality soon too!

Pros

Excellent user interface design and dashboard. Super easy to navigate with a strong attention to the information architecture. Intuitive invoicing software. Amazing customer service!

Cons

5 day waiting period for payments was frustrating at first. Eventually, I was able to learn how to drop this down to a 2 days. Also, some functionality took me a bit to figure out. But customer service was able to answer my questions within a matter of minutes!

Diego D.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

ZipBooks has helped me get organized and look professional. The support is excellent

Pros

ZipBooks is extremely simple to use. It helps with organization of contacts, invoices, drafts, estimates, Billing and it even creates reports. For no cost you can use ZipBooks to get organized and start invoicing clients, even accepting electronic payments and linking bank accounts. The mobile interface is also simple to use and effective, so creating invoices on the go is not a problem.

John P.

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

The perfect set of tools for my tiny agency

I switched to Zipbooks from another accounting platform and was amazed at how simple and well-thought-out it is. And for free! I was able to get set up in less than an hour, and it lacks nothing I need for estimating and invoicing for projects. It's also nice to have the time-tracking and project-tracking functions for the future. Great job, guys!

Pros

Easy to set up and easy to use. Great mobile app. Free!

Cindy B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 01/02/2018

ZipBooks is very easy to use.

Pros

You do not have to have any accounting experience to use it. The importing feature from the Banks is fantastic, saving a ton of time of tracking expenses and applying them to the appropriate expense categories (accounts). The Time Tracking is also very easy to use.

Dan A.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Intuitive, responsive

Software is user-friendly, straight forward. I love the automazation built in, and also the flexibility available for what cant be automated. They recently added an automatic receipt feature that my clients love. Zipbooks is quick to answer customer service requests and has more than exceeded expectations enabling me to grow my business.

Response from ZipBooks

Dan,

Thanks for adopting the product so early and sticking with it through all the feature growing pains.

Glad your customers like the new receipt feature!

ZipBooks Team

Replied 20/11/2015
Chad T.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Great program

We have been loving the change to this program. It takes so much time to collect on our customers that this program has been a lifesaver. They have a great customer service team as well. Any of the questions I had were quickly answered and set up was a breeze. I don't always recommend products, but this is one I really like.

Response from ZipBooks

Chad,

Thanks for your glowing praise. We will work hard to deserve such high praise.

ZipBooks Team

Replied 20/11/2015
Blake W.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 27/06/2017

Amazing Free Accounting Software

Pros

As a small business owner, Zipbooks helped me organize my finances and keep track of what was going on in my business. I even used Zipbooks to produce all the financials to sell my business.

Cons

When I started, it didn't offer all of the things that Quickbooks had, but it seems like they are adding features regularly. For a free software I really don't have any complaints at all.

Grant Z.

Reviewed on 18/04/2016

Switched over from Freshbooks

Zipbooks is a solid alternative to Freshbooks. I did a through comparison before crossing over and found nothing wanting. The ZipBooks team even helped me get my FB data migrated over and it worked like a charm. FB is a still great, I'm 100% ZipBooks now and don't any any plans to go back.

Yvonne G.

Reviewed on 16/10/2018

Too complicated for a small business owner

As a small business owner I do not have the time to figure out accounting programs that are not straight forward and easy to use. It took me quite a while to figure out how to input my current financials and I wasn't able to figure out how to input past sales without first generating an invoice.

Pros

The ability to upload jpg and PDF files related to transactions easily.

Cons

The inability to create sales outside of invoicing.

Asma I.

Reviewed on 24/01/2016

Very practical and simple software

Very practical and simple software

Susan B.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

ZipBooks - Perfect for a Hobby turned Small Business!

The ZipBooks staff have been very responsive and willing to help. The software is free to use, however, there is a $1.25 charge per Paypal transaction when a customer pays via ZipBooks invoice. It provides basic accounting features that would work well for a person who is turning their hobby into a small business or a small contract business.

If you are new to accounting, ZipBooks is perfect. If you are accustomed to accounting software, then this free software isn't for you. It doesn't yet have dynamic reporting features, ie no balance sheet or clickable fields to expand a data field on the Income Statement. If your business is small and you are going to keep it that way, ZipBooks is perfect. If your business is thriving and growing, invest in paid software as you'll quickly grow out of ZipBooks.

That said, I'm told they have changes in the works so maybe this won't hold true in the near future.

Pros

Easy to use for someone with no accounting knowledge. Perfect for an MLM or hobby turned business. I love, love, love that their customer service is responsive.

Cons

The reporting features are seriously lacking. No balance statement, COG's are lumped together on the Income Statement, no division of income sources and no field on the Income Statement is clickable for a detailed report. Invoice and Expense pages are long with one arrow to the next page on the top and when editing an invoice or expense and saving, you are brought to the "1-50" page instead of the current page you were working on.

Michael A.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Good if you can connect to your bank!

I connected with their customer support and they were willing to try to resolve the issue but they were not sure if they could work with the .bank website connection. Very disappointed as I had spent so much time with the software. I could have done manual reconciliation, but I was doing that before the software! That's why I got the software!
If it works for you, it is basic and very functional. Sad it did not work out.

Pros

It is easy to use and pretty intuitive. Not too difficult to learn and deploy. Was impressed that was able to get up and running quickly with little accounting background!

Cons

My bank had gone through a change where they went from a .com to a .bank and I was not able to change the bank information for automatic reconciliation.

Cj S.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 09/10/2017

Not perfect, but constantly improving and Customer Support is the best with super fast replys!

Pros

I run a photography+subcontractor business. I've been with Zipbooks since before they started charging a fee (switched from freshbooks) and let me tell you, there were definitely some major growing pains. The good new is that they listened to the customers and would always solve problems quickly.
The gap between Zipbooks and Quickbooks/Freshbooks/etc.. used to be cavernous, but that gap is almost unnoticeable now. The interface is ridiculously easy to understand and flows really well. It's the best user interface experience I've had for accounting software.
Costumer service has been nothing short of impressive. I'm an accounting/bookkeeping newb and the customer support has basically trained me how to do my own accounting. They have this great chat button that's always in the bottom right corner so you can easily ask questions and get answers like if you were chatting with a friend on facebook messenger.
The company has a long way to go to being the best, but they certainly have the chops for it! I would high

Cons

The fact that I can't mark an invoice as paid from the list view. I don't like the extra step of clicking through to the individual invoice. But, it's a minor inconvenience.

Enrique O.

Reviewed on 04/07/2017

Exceptional value to this cloud-based accounting software. Compared to many other popular...

Saved on monthly unnecessary accounting fees using this service and the software fit my small business without having to worry about getting stuck with bells and whistles I didn't need.

Pros

Easy to use, Great Customer Service, Available when you need it, Accounting made easy and management of clients is great. Invoicing is a breeze, even on the fly. Swayed from Wave Accounting for Zipbooks time keeping feature and decided against Quickbooks because of its pricing structure.

Cons

Managing transactions is automated with your linked bank account. But, entering transactions manually is tricky. The user must keep a close eye on transactions so the software reconciles accurately. But, this could be relevant to any accounting software...

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

Great for a small business for accounting and invoicing

Pros

I love the simplicity of ZipBooks and that it doesn't require a software installation. It has all the features I need to run my business without having to pay or wade through features I don't need.

Cons

Nothing so far. If my needs expand I can migrate to something more robust.