FreeAgent Reviews

About FreeAgent

FreeAgent is award-winning online accounting software designed specifically for small businesses, freelancers and their accountants and bookkeepers. Over 100,000 customers use FreeAgent to manage their business accounts – all...

4.2

Browse FreeAgent Reviews

Faith
Faith
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

Freeagent is my choice for Accounting

A few times, I've had to contact their support. They have live-help and the accountants are amazingly responsive, understanding and helpful. One of the best supports I've had in any software.

Pros

Saves loads of time and is easy to use for a business owner without the need for a book keeper or accounting person. Love the bank imports and ease of reconciliations. RTI and VAT submissions submit to HMRC straight from the software. I could go on and on here, but having had business since 1999, the importance of having great finance management as a small business can't be understated!

Cons

At the moment you can scan/photograph expenses and it can complete the data entry using AI. I can't wait until this can happen for bills too!

Sage 300cloud , QuickBooks Online and Xero

MYOB Business
Ben

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Affordable accounting software; good but needs a few tweaks to be great

Clients who have made the transition can be viewed on one dashboard, and makes managing client records much easier.

Pros

Very easy to onboard clients; Linking bank accounts through open banking is straightforward and facility works well; Simple user interface makes it easy for novices to use; Very good customer support; Can be had for free of you use and RBS group bank account including Mettle; On the go invoicing is nice for some business as well as the expense logger

Cons

Not as flexible as some accounting packages; a few of the facilities are still a work in progress and you need to do a workaround

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

The cost-free option makes it an easy sell to help clients transition to the cloud accounting world. I still use Xero and others to give clients a choice
Oscar

Reviewed on 18/09/2015

Exceptionally Poor Customer Support

I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent.

For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude.

That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers.

Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January.

I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart.

I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hello Oscar,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks.

I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks.

As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software.

The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on [email protected] and I can arrange it for you

To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally.

Kind regards,

Sage Construction Suite

Thomas
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 08/05/2024

My accounting tool from day one

Pros

I have been using FreeAgent since I registered my company. It handles all my accounting needs. Saves me so much time.

Cons

Categorisation of expenses can be improved. It works so far but wish they had simpler naming.

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

Freeagent - simple and reliable accounting

Freeagent covers all our accounting and invoicing needs very well. We have tried one of the leading alternatives but came back as we were so pleased with it.

Pros

The billing and invoicing functionality is a key feature of the product and works very well. They send a Monday motivator email summarising your agenda for the week on Monday mornings. This includes items such as unbilled hours logged, payments to approve and bills to chase or pay. MFA is supported for increased security.

Cons

There are few things that I don't like to be honest, the only one that can be annoying is the bank feeds can sometimes be a little slow to show items. A manual refresh option for bank feed data would be useful.

Lola
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Easy To Use Cloud Accounting Software

Nice and easy to use, makes dreaded bookkeeping a breeze. Highly recommend for small businesses or sole traders - it would save you a lot of accountancy fee.

Pros

Having switched from Xero, which I used for a decade, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to use FreeAgent. I would say the user interface and functionality are more intuitive than Xero. The best thing is, the software is free if you have a business account with NatWest or Mettle.

Cons

It isn't able to split the actual income and fees when reconciling Stripe transactions. I use the DoubleAgent plug-in as a workaround.

FreshBooks , Xero and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Choosing FreeAgent

Xero was a bit expensive, whereas FreeAgent comes free with my business bank account.

Xero
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Highly recommended

Pros

I got access to this software FREE of charge through banking with RBS. Having previously used Xero for our book-keeping, I found it had the same great functionality but a much slicker design. It's simplicity and ease of use is the best thing going for it.

Cons

Had some issues at the beginning with connecting our bank feeds but this was sorted out quickly by the team at FreeAgent - can't think of any real faults with the software.

Caleb
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 26/10/2022

Accounting Simple & Affordable

Great experience, would definitely recommend to small businesses and freelancers!

Pros

It's very user friendly. It's great for freelancers or small businesses that do a lot of their own bookkeeping and accounting. It simplifies things in a way to make it easy.

Cons

The simplified software is great for basic transactions, but sometimes it would be better to have more customisation. There are fixed categories of expenses, so you can't create a custom one.

QuickBooks Time and Xero

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

It was recommended by my accountant, and I've really enjoyed using it.
Marius
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 30/12/2023

FreeAgent is perfect for small businesses

Overall, FreeAgent is perfect for small businesses, it has just enough functions to meet most of our needs and it has very easy navigation, which is great for people who've never used an accounting software before.

Pros

The best thing about FreeAgent is that you can get it for free if you use their offer to set up and use "Mettle" bank account. Also, their menu is perfectly minimalistic to make it fully functioning for our purposes and not making it overwhelming to use.

Cons

Bank reconciliation lacks automation. There is "guess" rules function but you can't modify how it works and it often makes mistakes.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

FreeAgent offered a free plan if you have a Mettle bank account.

Reviewed on 05/01/2023

FreeAgent - Free if you use some bank accounts

Great customer service on the queries I've raised.

Pros

Free for users of certain banks and they get access to it all not just some features.

Cons

That the bank options when reconcilling aren't very flexible or obvious as to which category.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

Used it as a sole trader for client then they continued to use it when they changed to a Ltd.

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Pros

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement.

We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting.

We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time.

Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

Magnificent Customer Support, Good Accounting System

Pros

FreeAgent is more advanced than my previous service provider, Freshbooks. It allows me to handle the split between personal/business bank accounts and their expenses better and even submits my tax return to HMRC for me. The few times I've contacted their support, they have responded quickly, actually understood what I've asked and provided a detailed response, specific to my issue.

Cons

As a sole trader working on various contracts for 7.5 hours per day, I need to be able to track my time and bill my clients based on it. This is the only area where I found Freshbooks to have the edge—it provided a daily timeline where I could click on my start time, enter the duration, client and project and track my time visually. This meant that I could tell at a glance where there were gaps in my day and correct them accordingly.

FreeAgent allows me to add Timeslip entries, however it can get confusing quite quickly as there is no start time and no visual timeline. I have to rely on the running total of hours shown per day and try to work out the amount of hours to submit per task. So the interface isn't as intuitive as I would like, but the wealth of other extra features I have access to with FreeAgent does go some way to making up for it.

FreeAgent does also work out at around double the monthly subscription price of Freshbooks, which isn't ideal in my circumstances, but I do feel I am getting a better all-round product for the money.

Exauce
Exauce
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 14/04/2023

it is an excellent software for accounting and books of accounts

It helps me manage day-to-day administration: from expenses and time tracking to estimates and invoices.

Pros

This online software is relatively simple to install (settings, configuration, customization, etc.) and should not require the use of an integrator.

Cons

a bit difficult to use but it's a better software

Stella
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros

Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business.
Famous for its incredible invoice templates
Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts.
Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install
The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons

Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude
Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all
Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking
Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

Rick
Rick

Reviewed on 22/01/2018

Make book keeping hassle a thing of the past

Time saving, professional appearance to clients, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn

Pros

I hate taxes and book keeping work. Using just common sense, you can immediately do 90% of tasks within FreeAgent, quickly and easily. FreeAgent staff are on standby to help you with the other 10%. It's fantastic.

Cons

Some of the features are not intuitive, and take a bit of practice to get right. The one time I have had to use a work around is the system does not have a function allowing you to remove partner drawings directly from a foreign currency PayPal account. Hardly a deal-breaker.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Rick,

Thank you for sharing your review and for the kind words, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear that FreeAgent meets your needs, and that the team have given their support when needed (we're very proud to have such an awesome support team!)

We also appreciate your feedback about some of the challenges you've experienced, I've passed them along to our product team.

Thanks again!

Replied 10/04/2018
Rouska

Reviewed on 02/07/2018

Essential tool for managing finance

Pros

* Auto integration with banking API feeds
* Intelligent learning for your regular banking transactions
* Templates for sending invoices etc
* VAT & SA form integration with HMRC

Cons

* Slightly clunky UI for viewing recent expenses
* Inability to remove user's who have left the business

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Rouska,

Thank you for the positive review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about all of the features that are most valuable to you. We appreciate the additional feedback too and have passed it along to our Product Team.

All the best,

Replied 12/07/2018
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 11/02/2018

An outstanding find with exemplary customer service

Pros

The ease of use combined of the platform which is exceptionally intuitive, combined with the brilliant customer service.

Cons

FreeAgent appears somewhat UK-centric, although the support is still exceptional. The banking does connect to banks in Canada and I have been able to manage harmonized sales tax in Ontario. It may have some current limitations to make it a credible better substitute for Sage, in respect of the tax nuances across different Canadian Provinces.

Jago

Reviewed on 24/10/2022

Easy to use bookkeeping and accounting software for the small clients

I love FreeAgent and how we are treated as an accountancy practice by their team. Any issues we aver have are answered and they're are always new features being added. Whenever I find that I can't do something in FreeAgent, I'm always shown a way around it and for that I give 5 stars.

Pros

It's very intuitive and has amazing support and training for us and our clients. We use this software for our smaller sole traders who find it really easy to use. We do most of the setup and they basically just invoice their clients using the mobile app :)

Cons

Integrations are pretty non existent for a lot of apps. For example merging eBay or most till sales with FreeAgent can be quite difficult however this is overcome by using Zapier

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Takes the pain out of keeping accounts

Pros

Pros: ability to photograph receipts and store them within expenses
All the main categories of expenses are there
Links to your business bank account

Cons

Con: One major drawback is that you can't print out a consolidated tax return before or after filing. For sole traders a tax return is often the only way to prove income when applying for loans, etc, and HMRC doesn't offer this service either.

Owen

Reviewed on 01/01/2019

Generally good but some areas that badly need an update

Generally a solid piece of software but lacks some feature sets common in alternatives such as Zoho

Pros

Super responsive customer support
Most day to day business transactions covered well
Generally clean design

Cons

The expense handling suite is quite poor (both mobile and web)
e.g. Does not have the following
- Sortable columns in the expense listing table (e.g. list by highest value descending, or name)
- Ability to filter by type or project
- Drag and drop receipts into web interface (you have to upload through file navigation)
- Quick take photo for expense button (mobile)
- Ability to email expense emails or pics of receipts to an inbox

Timesheet feature set also rather basic

Mike
Mike
  • Industry: Media Production

Overall, I love FreeAgent

Pros

Integrates with my bank accounts and PayPal.
Does bookkeeping without me having to know how to do bookkeeping.
Great referral program!
Good support when I've needed it.

Cons

Reports and accounts set up is skewed to the UK market (my American CPA is used to seeing certain things set out differently).
Bank feeds can be slow to update.

Dimitrios
Dimitrios

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Essential for sole trader's accounting

Pros

One of the things that scared me about going freelance, was the accounting and book-keeping part this entails. After researching similar web-based solutions, I decided upon subscribing to Freeagent. I wouldn't be able to run my business without it. Everything I need, from invoicing and clients database, to expense filing and completing my self-assessment is there, easy to use and access. When I needed some help or clarifications about something, the staff were prompt and eager to help me and made sure my issues were resolved in any case. Highly recommended software & service!

Cons

I find that the mobile app has limited functionality compared to the desktop site. I would like the same level of editability when it comes to the handling of bank transactions, as I have via my internet browser.

• Industry: Executive Office

Make life easier

Pros

It makes my life easier. I was spending at least half a day totting up time spent and billing clients but Freeagent does it all for me at the touch of a button. That has been the absolute stand out time saving feature for me. Plus it's not complicated, easy to use and displays everything clearly.

Cons

Every month I have to re-input the tasks for clients. I wish it would hold onto those so that I could re-use them for my ongoing clients.

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Simple, may to use and already used by out acceptant

Pros

Simple, lightweight and just does exactly what you require from a accounting tool. Interface is easy to navigate and there is a very low learning curve. I would recommend this tool to small businesses / freelancers.

Cons

Doesn't integrate with newer online style bank accounts for automated feeds at all. (e.g. transfer wise bank accounts) . Sometimes doesn't recognise recurring bank transactions meaning it takes longer to explain

• Industry: Automotive
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Took the worst part of owning a business and made it almost fun

Pros

The end to end connectivity. Booking time spent with a client turns into an invoice turns into a payment at the bank - and all this is tracked. What used to take hours in excel is all at a glance in FreeAgent.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to use their time tracking module as a separate product. I no longer run a business but would love to use their time tracker with my team at the larger org I now work for.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear which FreeAgent features you found most helpful. I've also passed along your time tracking module feedback to our product team.

Thanks again!