About FreeAgent

FreeAgent is award-winning online accounting software designed specifically for small businesses, freelancers and their accountants and bookkeepers. Over 100,000 customers use FreeAgent to manage their business accounts – all...

4.2

Browse FreeAgent Reviews

Stephen
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business.

Pros

FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too.

It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered.

I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons

I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

Ben

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Affordable accounting software; good but needs a few tweaks to be great

Clients who have made the transition can be viewed on one dashboard, and makes managing client records much easier.

Pros

Very easy to onboard clients; Linking bank accounts through open banking is straightforward and facility works well; Simple user interface makes it easy for novices to use; Very good customer support; Can be had for free of you use and RBS group bank account including Mettle; On the go invoicing is nice for some business as well as the expense logger

Cons

Not as flexible as some accounting packages; a few of the facilities are still a work in progress and you need to do a workaround

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

The cost-free option makes it an easy sell to help clients transition to the cloud accounting world. I still use Xero and others to give clients a choice
Oscar

Reviewed on 18/09/2015

Exceptionally Poor Customer Support

I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent.

For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude.

That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers.

Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January.

I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart.

I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

Response from FreeAgent UK online accounting software

Hello Oscar,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks.

I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks.

As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software.

The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on [email protected] and I can arrange it for you

To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Replied 25/09/2015

Top FreeAgent Alternatives

Jago

Reviewed on 24/10/2022

Easy to use bookkeeping and accounting software for the small clients

I love FreeAgent and how we are treated as an accountancy practice by their team. Any issues we aver have are answered and they're are always new features being added. Whenever I find that I can't do something in FreeAgent, I'm always shown a way around it and for that I give 5 stars.

Pros

It's very intuitive and has amazing support and training for us and our clients. We use this software for our smaller sole traders who find it really easy to use. We do most of the setup and they basically just invoice their clients using the mobile app :)

Cons

Integrations are pretty non existent for a lot of apps. For example merging eBay or most till sales with FreeAgent can be quite difficult however this is overcome by using Zapier

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

Freeagent - simple and reliable accounting

Freeagent covers all our accounting and invoicing needs very well. We have tried one of the leading alternatives but came back as we were so pleased with it.

Pros

The billing and invoicing functionality is a key feature of the product and works very well. They send a Monday motivator email summarising your agenda for the week on Monday mornings. This includes items such as unbilled hours logged, payments to approve and bills to chase or pay. MFA is supported for increased security.

Cons

There are few things that I don't like to be honest, the only one that can be annoying is the bank feeds can sometimes be a little slow to show items. A manual refresh option for bank feed data would be useful.

Simon
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 15/04/2021

Free for NatWest Business customers, very straightforward accounting software for small...

All positive - occasionally have to try and work out how to do something, but customer support are very good and responsive if you get really stuck. For someone who would struggle with the accounting side of running a child's piggy bank, FreeAgent is worth its weight in gold!

Pros

It basically does all the required accounting without having to pay for an accountant to do it for you. The biggest benefit when it comes to tracking business tax and completing a tax return as it pretty much does it all for you.

Cons

Sometimes it's tricky to work out how something works and you have to go and get help from customer support, but this may be more user incompetence than anything wrong with the software!

Xero

Reasons for Choosing FreeAgent

I was getting to the point of needing to pay for some of the options (I honestly can't remember the name of the software used previously and don't want to put the wrong one in!)

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

NatWest provided the service free and it appeared to have everything needed.

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Magnificent Customer Support, Good Accounting System

Pros

FreeAgent is more advanced than my previous service provider, Freshbooks. It allows me to handle the split between personal/business bank accounts and their expenses better and even submits my tax return to HMRC for me. The few times I've contacted their support, they have responded quickly, actually understood what I've asked and provided a detailed response, specific to my issue.

Cons

As a sole trader working on various contracts for 7.5 hours per day, I need to be able to track my time and bill my clients based on it. This is the only area where I found Freshbooks to have the edge—it provided a daily timeline where I could click on my start time, enter the duration, client and project and track my time visually. This meant that I could tell at a glance where there were gaps in my day and correct them accordingly.

FreeAgent allows me to add Timeslip entries, however it can get confusing quite quickly as there is no start time and no visual timeline. I have to rely on the running total of hours shown per day and try to work out the amount of hours to submit per task. So the interface isn't as intuitive as I would like, but the wealth of other extra features I have access to with FreeAgent does go some way to making up for it.

FreeAgent does also work out at around double the monthly subscription price of Freshbooks, which isn't ideal in my circumstances, but I do feel I am getting a better all-round product for the money.

Mandie

Reviewed on 31/08/2015

Perfect Companion for Accounting

I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Pros

Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Cons

Ive been using it for nearly two years....
Can't fault it!

Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

Flavio

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pros

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Cons

If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

Replied 30/09/2019
Ryan

Reviewed on 27/09/2022

Excellent Software Which Makes My Life Easier

Pros

The software has all the features I need to run my business. It has helped me save so much time preparing self assessment filings.

Cons

The support documentation does contain some out of date screenshots and instructions.

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Pros

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement.

We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting.

We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time.

Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

Stella
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros

Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business.
Famous for its incredible invoice templates
Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts.
Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install
The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons

Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude
Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all
Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking
Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

• Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

The only accounting software I would use

I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Pros

Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

Cons

None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it!

Replied 23/11/2018
Greg
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Great for Freelancers

Pros

FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Cons

I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.

• Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Reviewed lots of options made the decision to go with FreeAgent and never looked back, great...

Peace of mind, credible management information, easy ways of doing my quotations and billing, streamlined data capture of receipts and mileage, reduced my back office admin costs and made our lives easier

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, provides high quality information about the state of play of my business and my ongoing liabilities for tax and keeps easy track of who owes us money and how to send reminders. Quotation system works well, bank integration excellent and shared access for my back office book keepers means a lot less hassle. Love the App for capturing expenses and mileage

Cons

Worry about their inability to let me download copies of all scanned images I have added. I really cannot find anything else to say

Tom

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Easy to use accounting software and a great mobile app

I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well.

Pros

FreeAgent is great in January when I can file my tax return directly to HMRC. The form is also filled with data I've entered throughout the year so self assessment time is pretty hassle free, which s unusual for a freelancer. I've just started using the mobile app and find that this is really is good too. I can take care of all the day-to-day stuff, like explaining bank transactions and entering mileage, when I'm out and about on business to stop it mounting up.

Cons

The mobile app is really great, but doesn't yet have the same in-depth functionality as the desktop app.

Steve

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

So much easier

This product has made running my business do much easier.It takes a little getting used to but once grappled it’s a breeze!

Pros

The bank reconciling makes marking off transactions and paid invoices so easy. The ability to resend email reminders and show whether an email has been received by a customer is great.

Cons

More template options would be good and the ability to put terms and conditions into the back of a invoice.

• Industry: Automotive
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Took the worst part of owning a business and made it almost fun

Pros

The end to end connectivity. Booking time spent with a client turns into an invoice turns into a payment at the bank - and all this is tracked. What used to take hours in excel is all at a glance in FreeAgent.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to use their time tracking module as a separate product. I no longer run a business but would love to use their time tracker with my team at the larger org I now work for.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear which FreeAgent features you found most helpful. I've also passed along your time tracking module feedback to our product team.

Thanks again!

Replied 10/04/2018
Pierpaolo
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

Great accunting software, really easy to use!

Pros

Fantastic software for your company. Easy to use and complete. You can manage your customers, raise invoices and do your payroll.

Cons

The software is improving over the years, but you might have some issues when it comes to make payments and raise invoices in other currencies.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Pierpaolo,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear what you found most useful about FreeAgent. We've also highlighted the issues you raised with our product team.

Thanks again!

Replied 10/04/2018

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Really useful for managing cash flow

Pros

Syncing with your bank accounts allows you to keep track of expenses, income and bills really easily. There is good help in the support section and it is good to be able to get some automated analysis of the figures too.

Cons

The time tracking feature is not very flexible and has caused me issues, I am using a different software to track time now. The design also is quite accountant-oriented

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Like the product

Pros

Easy assess and works great for tracking my time and billing clients. The bank feed works well. I like the overview information of the home screen dash board.

Cons

I have an accounting background and am a bit frustrated with how to pay bills and reconciling an account. It has not been very easy for me to understand how some of the functions work - relative to other software that I have used. Some one with out my background might find it easy to understand.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using. Regarding the parts you are frustrated with, could you please contact our support team on 0800 288 8691 and explain this to them in more detail? They may be able to help you, and they can pass on any specific feedback for improving the product to our engineering team.
Thanks

Replied 12/03/2018
Anil
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 07/07/2018

Advanced and easy to use online accounting software.

Pros

You can effectively manage and keep a track of your invoices, expenses and calculate your profits in one place. For each account, there are no such limits on the number of users allowed to access an account. Round the clock customer service and support system are provided. The application is integrated with payroll functionalities. You can contact their accounting experts if you encounter any issues. You can check out the thirty-day trial version, then move on to the paid version, they don’t charge any setup fee.

Cons

It is difficult to export information (if you need it in the CSV format). Expensive when compared to other accounting solutions.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Might not be the best choice from my perspective

Pros

We use it where I work as a way to track work hours. Usage is pretty simple and the features are sufficient. If you need to track time precisely, there's a nice start/stop function, and if you don't, there are means to insert a whole week in a row. If you're a developer, you'll appreciate the APIs that allow building customized reports for accounting.

Cons

If you don't need precise time tracking, but need to split hours on different activities, data entering becomes pretty slow. You can generate monthly reports to check what to expect from the paycheck, but checking if you made mistakes in the data entry is as difficult as it is entering it.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for reviewing FreeAgent. We're glad to hear you found our time tracking features helpful. Regarding the aspects you found frustrating, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we've shared it with our product team.

All the best,

Replied 18/04/2018
Kevin

Reviewed on 19/01/2015

Excellent

I've been using FreeAgent for several years and now do the book-keeping for four separate companies using it. Having changed from the abominable Sage, I found FreeAgent a breath of fresh air. Even for my busiest company, I find I only have to do the book-keeping when the VAT is due every quarter and it takes no more than a day.
At the end of each financial year, I give my accountant restricted access to they can prepare the accounts.
I also find the advice I get from FreeAgent priceless- whether that's what I can claim for "home use" or how to iron out inconsistencies with journal entries.
Overall, an excellent product. My only criticism is that the automatic downloading of bank statements takes so long that I've turned it off and manually download/upload them as it's quicker.

Fully featured
Good guidance built into the process of "explaining" entries
Fairly efficient "guessing" of transactions
Excellent support

Cons

Automatic bank account synchronisation doesn't work efficiently for me (I use Lloyds)

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Excellent all-in-one package to manage my business

Pros

Very easy to use and gives valuable, easy to read information on status of the business.
Easy to set up and monitor invoices and add information.
Excellent automatic calculation of tax liabilities and ability to file through interface.

Cons

The bank feed for importing HSBC bank transactions is terrible and takes an age to import transactions which is disappointing with todays technology. From the forums this appears to be a longstanding issue that should have been fixed by now but isn't and unsure if it will be.
Self-assessment should be updated to include ability to add capital gains and property income.