About Sunrise

Sunrise is a cloud-based accounting application for small businesses and freelancers in all industries. Primary features include billing, invoicing, quote management, contact management, accounting, expense management and...

Browse Sunrise Reviews

Justin N.

Reviewed on 29/04/2020

Simple, easy, and to the point Accounting

I've been a part of Sunrise since it was called Billy accounting software. Sunrise definitely took the strong foundation of Billy and continues to improve on it.

Pros

I've been using Billy/Sunrise since I started my business. They are quick to setup, and can be very simple to track your banking and invoicing, along with some advanced features to automate a lot of your accounting.

The biggest pros I see are:

- Quick and easy invoicing (including recurring)
- Connect your bank account for automatic transaction tracking
- Budgeting
- Integrates with Stripe for collecting payments but also offers their own merchant account (good to have a backup)

Cons

I'm not a power user since I'm a one-man business, but there is one big feature missing.

There is no automatic payment/debit feature. Recurring invoices are just automatically sent, but need to be paid by the client. There is no way to auto-debit every month, which slows down a few workflows.

FreshBooks and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Sunrise

I chose Sunrise (back when it was called Billy) because it was available through AppSumo for a one-time purchase for a lifetime subscription.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Justin, for your awesome 5-star review. We are thrilled you are happy with the product. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, this mean making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Replied 01/05/2020
Shawn V.
  • Industry: Ranching

Reviewed on 06/05/2020

Great System

The system always works. I have yet to have a fatal crash or bug therefore have lost no data or time in using it. I have other things to worry about so I appreciate reliable software.

Pros

After being a long time QB user, I appreciate being able to get in quickly, do what I need and get out. I use it primarily for invoicing.

Cons

Nothing. Everything works great for my needs

Response from Lendio

Thanks for the glowing review, Shawn. We are ecstatic that you enjoy the invoicing feature. We have some new functionality coming that will improve it even further. Again, thank you for your kind review!

Replied 07/05/2020
Carolyn B.

Reviewed on 05/05/2018

An accounting tool with a lot of potential

Pros

First and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool.

I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping.

I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier.

I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important.

Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.

Cons

I really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool.

I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.

Top Sunrise Alternatives

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 27/05/2019

I really like it but,,

Pros

One of the most wonderful intuitive accounting software in the world, very good and great features especially for tracking​ invoices and payments. However, they suddenly​ stopped supporting the worldwide​ customer and just accept the north Ameria countries, even they asked their current customers from the other countries to stop their subscription​ and to move to another company!!

Cons

They have an App for registering the expenses from bill and invoices directly from your phone, very useful​ especially when using the camera from the App to confirm the bills.

Ed F.

Reviewed on 04/10/2017

A simple solution that inexpensively provides all the functionality of the big guys

I really like the electronic invoice transmittal - it adds a lot of validity to my company, as does the ability to pay electronically.

Pros

Billy is very easy to use, with lots of tutorials to help you set it up correctly, the first time.
As a cloud-based solution, it can be accessed from anywhere, on any platform.
It has all the functionality needed in an accounting platform, at a very inexpensive price.
The team is constantly developing/tweaking areas within the application, providing even more functionality while making it even easier to use.

Julie V.

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Keeping track of my business finances is a breeze

It's easy to stay on top of bookkeeping so I constantly know where the company is at and I feel more prepared heading into tax season every year.

Pros

The Sunrise dashboard makes it easy to keep a pulse on my business finances when I need to make investment decisions and manage daily operations.

Cons

I wish I could customize the email template for sending invoices. I'd like to set the subject line and body text.

Response from Lendio

Julie, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Sunrise does give users the ability to customize their subject lines and body text in their invoices. Here is a help video on how to create and send an invoice: https://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/3372187-sending-invoices-on-sunrise. Thank you for the glowing review.

Replied 01/05/2020
Mark S.

Perfect Solution for Small Businesses

I have loved the Sunrise service and functionality. Quickbooks is overkill for my size of business, but Sunrise gives me the perfect level of sophistication yet simplicity.

Pros

The Financial Statements produced each month are super helpful to let me know where the business stands, and made tax season so easy and stress freed. All my income and expenses were in the right accounts and summarized for easy entry into Turbo Tax.

Cons

I would like recurring transactions, like my mortgage payment, that are the same amounts each month or from the same vendors to be auto-classified for me. I would also like to be able to classify expenses as they occur via a mobile app for Sunrise.

Response from Lendio

Hi Mark, thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled you enjoy the financial reporting tools within Sunrise. We have a lot of exciting new product developments coming your way, especially around our mobile app. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Replied 11/05/2020
Melissa V.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 02/06/2020

Loved by a Luddite!

Pros

I am a right-brained, creative, low-tech Luddite; I hand-make jewelry for museums. I am not high tech, and many programs confuse me. I tend to be disorganized because my brain is a busy place and that makes the financial side of my business difficult, and in the past, an ongoing struggle. Sunrise simplified my life!! At least in the area of bookkeeping and invoices. I love it's simplicity! I have been using it for a few years now and have saved hundreds in misplaced invoices!

Cons

I do sometimes run into problems with the editing feature, but that is probably just me.

Response from Lendio

Melissa, thank you for the glowing review! We are so happy that Sunrise accomplishes what your business needs in a stress-free, simple way. That is our whole goal. We love hearing customer feedback that Sunrise has made at least one small business owner's life a little easier. We've built this system for the "right-brained, creative, low-tech Luddite" and will continue to always be in your corner cheering you on. Thanks again for your wonderful feedback.

Replied 12/06/2020
Meredith R.

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Easy to use for invoicing

I've been satisfied with Sunrise and recommended it to others in my industry.

Pros

Intuitive and easy. I also like the reports I can run for my invoicing and options for sorting information.

Cons

I used to have Billy and had the option to do a wire transfer payment without them taking a charge. Since they take a percentage, I no longer give that option to my clients.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Meredith for your amazing 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Replied 11/05/2020
David W.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 27/05/2020

Making Life Easier

Very positive, once I engaged and learned how to use it effectively. I have a GREAT bookkeeper in [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Pros

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is my bookkeeper and he is always looking out for me. I have never met [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], but he has earned my trust.

Cons

I have no complaints about the software.

Response from Lendio

Hi David, thank you for your wonderful feedback. That is our mission and goal here. We strive to have the small business owner's back. To lift you up and help you succeed. We are thrilled to hear that Stephen has earned your trust to efficiently and effectively manage your books. We are lucky to have him on the team!

Replied 01/06/2020
Joey B.

Billy Rocks!

Well done, great job on the app! Keep up with the good work!

Pros

Billy really makes your accounting easy! I recommend it to all of my friends, as I hate accounting and this software makes it a breeze.

Cons

Nothing is bothering me so far, and it keeps on improving.

• Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

Accounting tool for non accountants

Great experience. Especially after trying other similar products which are not as intuitive.

Pros

The UX is made for non accountants which is great. You intuitively understand where to click and how to do the different processes and the customer support is fantastic.

Cons

The accountants don't like it. This is a con in a world where the accountants often decide what software to use in their domain. The problem is apparently that some of the features are built in a way where you can mingle around with the accounting so the balance in accounting terms does not fit. Would recommend the product for smaller companies, but once you grow bigger it is harder to use.

Kelly S.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Helpful system

Very helpful and nice customer service

Pros

Brings my clients and work together in one accounting program.

Cons

takes a bit to learn unless you know accounting software. For someone who uses pen and paper, changing over was a little slower than I would expect.

Laura C.

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

Billy has revolutionised my business

I love Billy, and every update bring great new functions - keep it up!

Pros

Billy's recurring invoice function, estimates and quotes are integral to my business

Cons

It took many months for my bank to sync, and this function still seems clunky to me.

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

High Expectation ... NOT MET!

Overall, I have a mixed experience. I like how easy to use Billy, but it never organized my accounts! I eventually moved to another accounting platform, but from time to time I use Billy's invoicing system.

Pros

- Easy to use
- Clean interface
- Great Invoice design

Cons

- Support is very weak.
- The tool is missing major functionality.
- Bank integration just came a few weeks back, but it is not stable.
- Stripe is not stable. In many cases, the customer paid but payment was not captured. This led to an embarrassing situation where we keep following with customer to find out that they already paid!!!
- Stripe payment can not be re-consiled! I have been told that each stripe payment has to be for 1 uniqe customer, which can not be the case! Stripe combine multiple payment together before payout is sent to bank.
- Billy's US Management is sensitive to critics.

Scott L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 28/08/2018

Best Online Invoice Maker

We first started using the free version and eventually moved to the paid version and are very happy with how it has worked. We are able to create invoices outside of the office on the road and accept payments online.

Pros

This was quick to set up​ and add customers and products.

Cons

The invoice template is hard to change and hard to customize.

Joe W.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

Perfect for my small business

I do all of my invoicing through Billy which works very well. I'm moving into selling products as well so will utilise Billy for that as well.

Pros

I like the ease of use combined with the number of features available in Billy.

Cons

There are some customisation options that are missing, specifically the ability to change dates to the format used in Britain (dd/mm/yy). I'd love some integration with other software that I use as well.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 17/11/2018

Keep Your Finances in Order with Billy!

Pros

- Easy to create and send professional-looking invoices;
- Easy to track expenses;
- Recurring invoices save me time for those that advertise on my site and are billed monthly

Cons

- I'd love to see time-tracking feature for the clients I bill by the hour
- Sometimes I have trouble figuring out how to change a certain setting, however, by messaging customer support I always learn quickly!
- I'd love to see integrated PayPal payments so I don't have to manually mark invoices as paid

Rangana L.

Reviewed on 01/07/2019

Attractive app with vast functionality

This is being used to manage our account activities and it does what it promised.

Pros

As mentioned in the topic, this app has a very attractive GUI. Also, all your money management work become less complicated since this app has syncing ability to add your bank accounts into the app.

Cons

Even though there is the bank account syncing facility, still some bank accounts cannot be synced.

Francis Y.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/05/2017

good experience while using

Pros

The software is quite easy to input a invoice or expense. UX is very friendly to me, and I like the user interface.

Cons

The software is not compatible with Chinese. Furthermore the tax policy is not same as Taiwanese tax policy. It's really such a shame.

Sunil N.

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Took over all our accounting processes

Easy accounting

Pros

The tool is fully customizable. Everything can be changed and modified to fit your business.

Their customer support is amazing.

Cons

There was some hassle to find stuff that we wanted to alter on the tool. We got ir figured out after talking to support. If we could have found a way how go do it, it would have been a lot faster.

Paul N.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 02/05/2017

Good service, easy to use

Simplification of the accounting process

Pros

The simplicity of use. The interface is intuitive, I like the invoices generated clean and sleek design.

Cons

The price is a bit high for my current use. Wish could get ability to generate receipts or send invoices marked as paid

Response from Billy

Hi Paul, we do have three tier, the lowest tier still gives you access to the invoicing features. These features include adding payments and marking them as paid. If you'd like help with this feature, please feel free to ping us on chat from within the app. Happy to help.

Replied 02/06/2017
Leann P.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

Review of Billy

Pros

I think overall everything has been easy to use and works with fianaces and keeping everything organized.

Cons

I don't like how there is not a recurring charge for clients. Makes it difficult to not be able to charge a recurring fee.

Raisa S.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Great tool for all entrepreneurs

Pros

Billy has a clean interface and great functionality. It is easy to use and helps manage my online works and a lot of my websites.It greatly saves on time.

Cons

The only thing I am particularly concerned about is that its integration with paypal is not as elaborate.

Olu B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Sunrise: Here comes the Sun!

Makes invoicing vendors and receiving payments easy!

Pros

It makes sending and receiving invoices and itemizing expenses seamless and easy.

Cons

None that I can think of. I’ve had no issues.

Response from Lendio

Olu, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

Replied 12/05/2020