About Lavu POS

Lavu is a Point of Sale solution designed for use by restaurants, bars, and nightclubs - from full-service, quick-service, and franchise restaurants, to food trucks, coffee shops, and lounges. Users can choose between bar,...

Browse Lavu POS Reviews

Jason M.

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Save Your Money

Pros

I was an existing customer since the inception of Lavu in 2012.

Cons

I purchased the system in 2012. Lavu offered a wireless system when they first came out. I soon learned if you sent a big ticket to the kitchen, it wouldn't print. Lavu advised the system needed to be hardwired for the printers to work properly.
I was a gold member when I signed up. I was told my price would never be higher than $49.95 per month. This turned out, not to be true.
The system worked flawlessly until about 2018. Lavu would frequently go down, offline, drop printer IP addressees, rogue attacks etc. In 2018 and 2019 I lost a lot of money thanks to Lavu.
I closed as most restaurants did in 2020 due to Covid. During the months I was open I noticed one month Lavu would auto debit my account for $200 one month, $150 the next. In March of 2021 to avoid these random charges I paid Lavu a year in advance. It was around $1620.00 for service and a monthly charge for using up to 5 devices. In June 2021 I had to close and sale the business for a loss. I contacted Lavu to refund my money, and they refused. Don't do business with this company.

Hiro T.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 24/04/2021

Newbie for POS

Just ok. Try the demo. But it is not promising. Cheap but it needs plenty improvement to compete other available POS.

Pros

It is cheaper. Good for new tiny restaurant who does not need so much integration and etc. You can get regular hardware.

Cons

Integration is bad and need to be improved. It is not stable and you can't have too many POS and printers. Feature is very limited, it accomplish basic feature, not more than that.

Sean D.

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

As good as any "Industry Standard"

We used this in a tequila bar that I was a bar manager at. We were very high volume so we needed a good POS system that never crashed, and operated quickly to minimize waiting on the system to perform functions. I think in that regard this is a great system and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

Better price point
Very intuitive and easy to pick up user-interface
Speedy screen operations, no waiting for screens to load
If you have experience with other POS systems this one will be very easy to get started with
Great team behind it
Easy to add new items to menu (you dont have to be an expert to fulfil managerial roles on the system)

Cons

There is not much that I can say against LAVU. As far as Point of Sale Systems it is just as good as any of the big dog's systems but with an affordable price point. I never had an issue with the system in my year of using it.

Response from Lavu

Hi Sean,
Thank you for your review. We're so glad to hear Lavu is working well for you and your team! Don't hesitate to call us at 855-767-5288 if you have any questions.
The Lavu Team

Replied 01/03/2019

Top Lavu POS Alternatives

Joe C.

Reviewed on 01/03/2018

Great system, could use a few more basic features that many other systems use.

Pros

Love the ease of use. The customer service has been really good as of late. Would for the most part recommend to any business.

Cons

Need some better basic features:
-Option for end of day report to reconcile as if the credit card tips were given out as cash to the servers, as this is the process for most restaurants.

-Better tip reporting capability for employees. It would be great for it to ask for total tips to be asked when employee is clocking out. There are many reasons for this including tip out, tip pool etc.

Response from Lavu

Hi Joe. Thank you so much for the feedback. We're glad to hear Lavu is meeting your needs and will strive to keep improving to make your experience even better.

Replied 06/03/2018
Blaine S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 27/07/2017

We are pulling our systems out of our restaurants

Nothing to come close to outweighing the cons

Pros

About the only thing that is positive about this system is that it is internet based and we can move freely about the restaurant to serve our guests.

Cons

Billing is constantly inaccurate and the system shuts down during service because of this.
If you're ok with the system going offline with no warning due to inaccurate automated billing issues and 3 hours on the phone with inept customer service reps while having zero access to input orders, print tickets to your kitchen, bills for the customers and not being able to process credit cards than this IS the system for you!
Our sales and install guy was a joke. Over promising on system answers he didn't even know but said yeah it does that. When it came to menu input it took him 2 weeks from start to finish and we had to just take over and redo everything ourselves.
Reporting functions that should be available that weren't we were told would be "coming soon" in the next version have not materialized.
Customer service is absolutely horrendous. If you like long hold times over an hour most times or a we will call you back message many hours most times then again this is the system for you!

Response from Lavu

Hello Blaine,

We are sorry to hear about your experience and hope we can solve these issues you've been having. Our customer care manager is looking into the issue now and will reach out to you. In the meantime, we recommend reaching out to our 24-hour customer care line 1.855.528.8457 with any immediate issues you may be having. We would be more than happy to address the problems with your system. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have had and look forward to working through these issues.

-Kristin

Replied 22/08/2017
Steven P.

Reviewed on 19/07/2016

Nice Job Lavu

I have a pretty big place, with a long wine and cocktail list, but this handled all of our menu, and getting running was fast with one of the distributors we found in our area. We switched from an older POS after our contract ran out, and this seemed like the new, efficient thing to try out. It was a quick install, and way less than what I paid before. I miss some of the inventory ordering and employee scheduling my old system had, but this makes up for it in other ways. My servers picked it up right away, almost no training needed

Kevin D.

Reviewed on 15/06/2016

Excellent POS System

Bought the system for my pub about three years ago and I'm glad I did. Lavu has helped my staff open/close tabs much quicker than before I bought the system. I'm making more money and I can say that part of the reason is due to Lavu. Excellent POS system.

Pros

Ease of use and the reliability. Hasn't crashed on me in the three years I've had it.

Cons

Lags every once in a while.

Rebecca M.

Reviewed on 01/12/2017

Jessica Schell is TREMENDOUSLY helpful and knowledgeable!

Pros

Ease of use. New employees can figure things out quite easily.
Integrates smoothly with Vantiv (Mercury) including their gift program.

Cons

Until just this week, I would have said that the inability to take EMV, Apple Pay, etc. through our current merchant processor was my biggest challenge.
Thankfully for the support staff, I was able to purchase the equipment necessary and will be up and running with our new terminal and it's new features soon!

Laura S.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 01/12/2017

Lavu is easy to use and has fantastic customer service

Pros

INTEGRATION with 3rd party delivery sites via Chowly (so no more manually inputting orders from seamless/ delivery.com/ eat24/ etc. into the POS system), easy to use, good quality hardware, fantastic customer service (anytime I call, the question gets solved the first time; customer service is friendly & very effective; always easily accessible), lots of amazing features (reports, inventory management, employee management)

When I first contacted Lavu, we were only interested in switching POS systems for 1 reason: integration with 3rd party delivery sites. Lavu didn't have the Chowly integration at the time I first contacted them, but 2 weeks later, I got a call from my sales rep saying they were in the process of speaking/ partnering with Chowly. Lavu is a small company (compared to other POS system companies) and all employees work out of 1 building in Arizona. This is a major advantage to me. There is not a lot of red tape, they work closely together (if I have a question for someone in another department, my sales rep would literally walk over to them and ask) and things get done... FAST!

Cons

Nothing to do with Lavu - it's just that apple software (i.e. iPad) is more costly than using Android-based systems (i.e. tablets) but the iPad is MUCH more user friendly

Chris R.

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

HEED MY WARNING! DON'T BUY THIS POS

PLEASE PLEASE don't waste your money.
We are switching to a different solution.
We wasted too much money and time so please let our error help you out!
DON'T BUY THIS POS - (which has multiple acronyms for this POS)!!

Pros

First system I have used with tablets at table, which I like.

Cons

Where to begin on this list.
First - their support is god awful. And I don't think it's their faults.. These folks aren't trained.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to get someone on the phone. They want you to Chat.. Which takes a ton of time and isn't very user friendly.
The system - Front end is "fine" I'd say... When it's up!
The back end system is plain terrible. Trying to break things down is impossible. Their End of Day report on the back end doesn't add up to give you your total cash deposit!!?? WHAT? I've never heard of such a thing! That's like the basics!

Response from Lavu

Thank you for the review. We are really sorry to hear that your experience with Lavu has not been positive. Our latest release is a big one and addresses the pain points we've heard from our customers. We are confident that our system will continue to improve dramatically. We hope you'll stick around to see the progress.

Replied 14/08/2019
Claudia P.

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

DO NOT USE LAVU

The whole Lavu system is frustrating and not user friendly. The system would go down on your busiest night and if you called for assistance you get put on hold or to start your system back up there was a long email of lengthy steps to go through to get it to come back up. Totally frustrating and while going through this you are loosing money! Calling for help gets you put on hold or a call back never happens. I switched to TOAST and we are already making more money with its efficient software and knowledgeable and available staff!

Pros

I do not like anything about the software!

Cons

Swipers would often not accept credit cards so you would either have to either swipe 3 times or put in the number which cost more money from your credit card processor. mind you these were new swipers!

Brian K.

Reviewed on 14/09/2016

Excellent POS! Very powerful and helpful for any restaurant

Pros

Very high praise for the technical software end as well and the customer support which tries to attend to all issues in a timely manner. The software is very powerful and efficient once you learn how to use it properly. The price was one of the biggest selling factors.

Cons

Nothing much to not like thus far! Some things did take some learning to use or at least had to make a call to figure out how to do things such as splitting checks, or processing credit cards. But once up and running everything works very well and discovering that I am trying to live up to this pos' .

Carey S.

Reviewed on 06/10/2015

A truly innovative piece of software.

Pros

Our restaurant uses Lavu's product which has a very attractive and friendly/easy-to-use interface that amazes our customers. Lavu's WiFi based system increases workflow and efficiency and most certainly has the "WOW' factor. If you are looking to be ahead of curve, look no further than POSLavu!

Cons

To get the most out of this system you need very reliable and fast internet.

John D.

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

VERY BAD COMPANY!!!

Their technology group is so unequipped to do the most simple tasks. They do not follow up on cannot complete a task and the system is unreliable.

Pros

NONE, There is absolutely nothing to say. I can only put a negative review of this company and my company has suffered from their negligence.

Cons

I could write a book on how bad this system and management is and how they do not care about there customers. Support team and the CEO are scammers and just unethical. This company has cost me tens of hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of man-hours. Please avoid!

Scott L.

Reviewed on 05/11/2017

Not a bad system, not a great system

It's a very nice system. Easy to use and a better cost than others. It needs a lot of work providing more flexibility in changing features that your place might need more than another.

Pros

The front end interface for the servers is great. It makes order taking simple and organized. And prints out very nicely for the kitchen

Cons

The flexibility in the printable reports at the restaurant just isn't there. It's built too one way and not able to be customized for a different company

Jordan H.

Reviewed on 01/12/2017

The software is great and the customer support is amazing

Pros

I love that it's cloud based and reliable. We had been using a pos that had a "brain" and it was really frustrating how easy the system would completely go down

Cons

I wish it had a device like the clover flex. It's a device that the server can take to the table take the customers order, take credit card payment right there and print the receipt without having to leave the table. All in one device

Thomas J.

Reviewed on 06/09/2015

Lavu ... Not For U

Pros:
If you are running a simple quick serve model restaurant (or another retail business with perhaps one terminal) then the software is easy to program and the system will probably allow for simple modifications to fit your business.

Additionally, the pricing is fairly competitive for a single license.

Beyond that limited use I would strongly suggest looking for an alternative.

We used the software for more than 2 years but are aggressively looking to replace.

*Literally dozens of server crashes... 100% preventable
*Unusable features (delivery, CRM, inventory) - for clarification all of these features are promoted and are in fact inside the package - however none of them did what we expected. None.
*Anytime there is a problem software support is very nice, and quick to point the finger at someone else (internet speeds, credit card processing, etc.)
*Promoted (not sure if they still do or not) that user devices were unlimited. ... turns out not to be true... if your user is processing sales (as in point of sale) then that device will require a paid license...
*Doesn't appear to be supporting new CC processing technology and no communication about if they will

Overall a bust and in the three years we have been open it's the stand-out worst decision we've made.

Tommy V.

Fast and easy

Pros

Organized and clean lay out that is easy to use . Reports are easily accessed and very thouro . The employee time card is great

Cons

This is my first pos system so I don’t have a lot to compare it too. I wanted something easy to use because I’m dumb and this is very easy to figure out. I guess the only thing I don’t like is paying the monthly bill .

Lisa J.

Reviewed on 17/10/2016

much easier than other systems

I've used some other types of POS' in the past (ex. Aloha) and this one was a lot easier to train on. Lavu also has helpful options like seeing how many hours you've worked in a pay period which is a nice function so you don't have to do it yourself!

Pros

photos for menu items, hourly pay review, can be multi lingual (helps with foreign tables)

Cons

sometimes it crashes but thankfully it usually saves your tables receipts

Alisha B.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 05/12/2016

LOVE this product

This product is simply amazing, it is smooth running and doesn't slow down like other products I've used in the past, it has all the function my business needs, i use it for a retail clothing business and it works perfectly! don't let the pictures convince you it can only be used for a food industry! very easy to modify to company needs!

Lee S.

Reviewed on 16/01/2017

Great pos system

Very user-friendly. Great for a small business. I like the custom features of the system. It is also great for gift cards

Pros

Great customization

Cons

No one so far

Jerry S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 11/12/2016

All In One

Nice all in one product. Just a bit high for the Canadian market. But still researching.

Pros

Flexible and the tablets are great

Cons

Prices are in US dollars

Hannah L.

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Convenient and easy

Pros

You can take orders right from your iPad and easily start tabs with the customers credit card making sure all tabs get paid.

Cons

Only issue, which is minor, is that there program is only compatible with apple devices

Eliecer D.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Really good customer service

Pros

Always someone available to help you, price is affordable and meets the needs for my business. The system is easy to understand

Cons

They are not local in my area so I am face to face person. But other than that it’s a great service and worth the money that I paid.

Taylor R.

Reviewed on 04/11/2018

Best Restaurant Software Yet

Pros

-Love the ease of using an iPad
-Size of the icons
-Different color option icons
- Different categories available
-Ease of table organization
-Ease of checkouts
-Very well laid out
-Easy clock-in

Cons

-Hard signing process, customers complained