About MakeShift

MakeShift is a web and mobile employee scheduling solution for people-first businesses in fast-paced industries such as healthcare, hospitality, retail, construction, and recreation. It lets you build schedules faster, track time...

Browse MakeShift Reviews

Ashley C. Ashley C.

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

MakeShift saves so much time

We love working with MakeShift. The customer support is super helpful and incredibly responsive.

Pros

Our company switched to MakeShift a year ago and I wouldn't go back if you paid me a million dollars. Makeshift has made scheduling so much easier and quick! You can build out templates and schedule people out for months or even years. Employees love having their schedules at their fingertips and the ease of trading shifts makes life easy.

Cons

I wish we could drag and drop schedules for several people at one time.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Ashley, thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to hear that you find so much value in MakeShift!

Pat L. Pat L.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

BC Bounce

like taht i can see who is logged in and on time from a distance

Pros

makes it easier to schedule and monitor the employees as they enter the building for work

Cons

sometimes hard for the employees to log into the app as they enter building - mostly a phone issue with them

Response from MakeShift

Thank you so much for your review Pat! We appreciate your partnership with MakeShift!

Sheila K. Sheila K.

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

Easy to Use

Pros

MakeShift is super easy to use. It is easy to set up, create schedules and get employee availability. It has been our saving grace as we moved from in-person work to virtual work and training.

Cons

I would like to be able to have more than one time zone per department.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Sheila, we are so glad to hear that MakeShift has been helpful as you shifted to virtual work. We appreciate your feedback!

Top MakeShift Alternatives

Justin F. Justin F.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great

Great!

Pros

It’s easy to use and never has too many issues

Cons

Sometimes it can be tricky on a phone or iPad

Response from MakeShift

Hi Justin, thank you for your review!

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Not my favorite software

I wish my company had decided on a different scheduling software altogether.

Pros

I like that it has an app so I can work from my phone.

Cons

The features are very tedious and require so many more steps than necessary. I can't easily access my schedule without going through multiple avenues first. I can't delete shifts from the app. There is no "right click" option on the calendar for quick editing of a shift; you have to take the time to open the shift and make the changes, then save it.

Annetta G. Annetta G.

Great scheduling software!

Pros

MakeShift makes it easy to schedule and track my employees attendance. The app makes the most up-to-date schedule available to all employees as soon as any changes are made.

Cons

Very easy to use and integration with ADP Workforce Now is seamless.

Response from MakeShift

Thank you for your review Annetta! We are so glad to hear that you are finding value in MakeShift and utilizing our integration with ADP Workforce Now.

Ryan K. Ryan K.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

Features particular to restaurants would be helpful

Pretty good, feel it is better suited for businesses that have less variations week to week in terms of shifts and people scheduled though.

Pros

Solid layout and easy to use for both employers and employees

Cons

No "Copy/Paste" function makes schedules a bit more time consuming when managing multiple shifts and many requests for times off or fluctuation numbers of shifts per day.

7shifts

Reasons for Switching to MakeShift

Pricing

Response from MakeShift

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your review! Copy and paste features are available in the gear icon at the top right of your department schedule. You can actually copy and paste your whole schedule week to week, and make adjustments as you need to, without having to create an entire new schedule! If you'd like to learn more, please drop us a note at [email protected] Thanks again!

Tom K. Tom K.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Great product for you if simplicity is important

Function is a bit too basic and they’re not prone to changes. Instead of taking my feedback and sharing with the dev group, it seems like the dev group has their own agenda. So I use what I get.

Pros

It’s very basic and simple to use. Straightforward. Integration with ADP Canada is very important for the [SENSITIVE CONTENT].

Cons

Having to use 3 apps - manager app, scheduling app, and messenger app, makes it hard to manage.

HotSchedules, When I Work and 7shifts

Reasons for Switching to MakeShift

I didn’t… I moved from MakeShift to 7Shifts for the reasons above. It’s a good app, just that it’s not for me…
Brandon H. Brandon H.

User friendly and Easy to Use

I absolutely love using MakeShift to distribute my teams schedule. They can see shift changes in real time and immediately receive schedules when they are published. This eliminates all the confusion we had in the past with team members not knowing their schedule or making weekly calls to the store to find out what shifts they are working.

Pros

Makeshift makes scheduling employees a very simple process and it is incredibly user friendly. There are many platform features available to manage several different workforce tasks for business. As we integrate with ADP we use makeshift for scheduling to provide easy access for our store teams to see their schedule and request days off seamlessly without sending out spreadsheets or printing paper schedules.

Cons

I would like to see improvement with MakeShift as it concerns ADP integration. There are a small number of technical issues with the integration from time to time. Specifically, I would like for MakeShift to potentially display a "vacation" shift when full time associates request paid time off in ADP. As of now, MakeShift will only give you a shift sync error if you unintentionally schedule a shift on a day with a PTO request.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Brandon, thank you for your thorough review! We are so glad to hear that MakeShift has helped streamline your scheduling process and has eliminated all confusion you may have experienced in the past. We also appreciate your comments regarding your ADP integration. Please drop us a note at [email protected] as we do have the ability to sync time off from ADP WFN to MakeShift. We should be able to turn this on very quickly for you!

Daniel R. Daniel R.

Makeshift Team

Not only is it easy for me to use but my Team members like it as well. They download the Makeshift app and can see their schedules with a click of a button. Very easy for them as well.

Pros

I like the fact that it is easy to use. I am not a computer genius but this was easy to learn and use.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I do not like about this software. I use it with ease every day and find it makes my job of scheduling very easy.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Daniel, we are so glad to hear that MakeShift has been such an easy tool for you! Thank you for your review!

Chris M. Chris M.

Reviewed on 01/06/2019

Great Scheduling Tool

MakeShift has provided a powerful scheduling system that allows both employees and management to better understand and manage the schedule. It has created a better employee experience and made a previously time consuming task easier. Though there are a few issues and features that could be expanded, this is overall a great resource.

Pros

MakeShift is an easy to use scheduling tool that can stand alone or integrate with ADP/Bamboo HR to import existing employees. We like the ease of viewing and modifying the employee schedules in the system. Employees have an easy way to mark when they are available, and the shift trade system works well. The ability to create rotations that repeat for a length of time has been a huge time saver for us. It's also nice to be alerted when an employee will go into overtime before the shift occurs.

Cons

There are a few features, such as viewing who you are working with, that are only available for employees on the mobile app and not the web interface. The software also does not give an option to subtract exempt employees hours from the budget tracker. It would also be helpful to see expanded fatigue rules to state that an employee can't work before or after a certain time.

Jessica M. Jessica M.

Easy to Use

Pros

The ease of creating and maintaining a schedule. Adding shifts is extremely easy

Cons

none at the moment. it functions well and is easy to use

Response from MakeShift

Hi Jessica, thank you so much for your review! We are glad to hear that MakeShift has been functioning well for you and your business!

Melissa B. Melissa B.

Try it out

I can keep track of hours and make sure over time is accounted for.

Pros

The product is easy to use and not to complicated when it comes to scheduling.

Cons

Login from ADP is inconvenient and time consuming

Response from MakeShift

Hi Melissa, thank you for your feedback! We also offer the option to sign in directly using your own MakeShift credentials. If you'd like some assistance in setting this up, please reach out to us at [email protected]

Greg H. Greg H.

not user friendly

I find it very difficult to use

Pros

printable schedule, I can copy and paste some weeks

Cons

Too much draging and clicking, difficult to add positions

Response from MakeShift

Hi Greg, thank you for your review! For tips and tricks or best setup practices, please feel free to reach out at [email protected] We would be happy to see how we can make our solution easier to use!

Don H. Don H.

Makeshift review

I really like the software because of it's ease of use, particularly with the mobile app and really don't have any issues with it.

Pros

The mobile app is every easy to use and allows our associates to see their schedules and changes plus it allows them to contact other associates for shift changes. It is also very easy to create our weekly schedules.

Cons

The only issue I have with the software (which might be on our IT's side) is when an associate asks for vacation time in Makeshift it does not integrate into ADP like the schedule does.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Don, thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear your team has found value in our mobile apps. ADP does not allow us to input time off into their system, however we do offer the ability to sync time off from ADP into MakeShift for scheduling purposes. If you'd like to learn more, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to assist!

Jennifer W. Jennifer W.

5 stars!

I've had a great experience using MakeShift. The program is very easy to use and any technical issues are dealt with very quickly.

Pros

Very easy to use. Employees love the flexibility of being able to request days off and to switch/pick up shifts with their co-workers. The system has saved our Managers hours of work put in to scheduling and rectifying scheduling conflicts.

Cons

As an admin on the account, I don't have the ability to view the posted/dropped shifts in the same way a regular user on the app has. Having this ability would allow me to anticipate shortages.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Jennifer, thank you so much for your review. We're glad to hear that you've had a great experience and that your managers have been able to save hours of work! We appreciate your feedback regarding our shift exchange functionality and will let our product team know!

Stacey F. Stacey F.

Not recommended

Won't work with us to make a file that is easily brought over to Payroll. I have to manipulate a spreadsheet which can easily cause errors.

Pros

I'm not sure what I like about the software.

Cons

Not being to look at an employee as a whole. You can only see a person's time only in the department that you are in, even though they have hours worked in another department.

Justin P. Justin P.

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

really enjoy makeshift

I've had so many benefits from it. You can really monitor what's going on. with the casual staff it holds them accountable which is amazing

Pros

changed how we schedule - so much easier to schedule people

Cons

it's not really on makeshift, but the buy in from staff could use some help. Too many supervisors and staff still just make arrangements without using the app.

Seta B. Seta B.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Makeshift review

Pros

Easy to use and to understand and convenient on the phones.

Cons

When publishing a schedule I think it should have more options to publish (not only Publish all and publish range).

Response from MakeShift

Hi Seta, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your review and will pass along your comments about publishing to our product team!

Kevin L. Kevin L.

Great for Employee Scheduling

Again, Employee Scheduling and Payroll Management are the two key areas I utilize.

Pros

MakeShift without a doubt makes employee scheduling and payroll management a breeze.

Cons

I am not a daily user and don't use all of the functions available so at this point I don't have any issues with MakeShift.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Kevin, thank you for your review!

Emily S. Emily S.

Reviewed on 19/10/2021

Overall good product but could use some updates for ease of use

Customer service has been outstanding and implementation was fairly straight-forward. Integration with ADP we have had some issues, but again, customer support, has been very helpful and prompt throughout.

Pros

The shift swap feature is great. Setting up shift templates and rotations for ease of use is also great!

Cons

Need monthly view and a system view to be able to see more at one time. Need filters to help employees and managers sort better.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Emily, thank you for your review. We're glad you are finding value with our shift exchange feature. We appreciate your feedback about a monthly view. This is something that we are hoping to implement in the future!

Milton H. Milton H.

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

Realistic manager tool

Great tool for easy scheduling

Pros

ease of use, very simple to maneuver from step to step

Cons

There have been no negative issues with the software

Response from MakeShift

Hi Milton, thank you for your review!

Jennifer S. Jennifer S.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Decent Timeclock and scheduling software

Customer service has always been responsive. They are good about communicating upcoming changes and down time. Overall it is an easy, simple scheduling and timeclock tool.

Pros

What I like most about Makeshift is that it is easy to export data for import into ADP.

Cons

What I like least about Makeshift is the inability to have a department where managers can clock in and out without them being able to edit their own time, the inability to view an overall timesheet for an employee, the inability to have a good system for tracking absences.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Jennifer, thank you for the feedback! We appreciate your comments and will be sure to present them to our product team. We are working on a feature that will prevent managers from editing their own time, and will be sure to communicate this to you when it becomes available. Thanks again!

Katya S. Katya S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 26/10/2021

A good product for basic scheduling

Pros

Ease for employee use in viewing schedules, swapping shifts. Integration with ADP Workforce Now

Cons

Onboarding new employees can sometimes be a hassle if they are using Makeshift with another employer. Logging in with ADP Workforce Now credentials is not supported.

Response from MakeShift

Hi Katya, thank you for your review. Signing in with your ADP Workforce Now credentials is now supported for Canada. If you'd like to learn more, please contact us at [email protected] and we can help you get set up!

Matt L. Matt L.

Reviewed on 03/11/2021

I have enjoyed the product, and it is the best software I have used for scheduling to date.

Pros

I like the ease of schedule making and the seamless mobile integration.

Cons

I feel that the availability feature could be changed to reflect suggested or soft requests.