About Square Payroll

Square Payroll is a full-service payroll solution that helps small businesses pay employees through online payroll management and handle payroll tax. It can be integrated with a variety of payment processing tools, accounting...

Browse Square Payroll Reviews

Duwayne H. Duwayne H.

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

to save money, simplify the process and to get away from the company we were working with.

simplicity and price
Donette O. Donette O.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Pros

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease.

Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced.

For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Elisa K. Elisa K.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

I love Square!

Customer service has been great when I have needed it. They create and send out W-2’s and 1099 if you pay contractors. They do all New Lenox hire reporting and taxes.

Pros

Easy to use. We use them for payment processing as well. I can do payroll in about 5-10 minutes. On boarding is easy as employees securely submit their own information.

Cons

For direct deposit you can only have your pay deposited into one bank account. There is no option for splitting.

Patriot Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I already used them for payment processing and the price was similar to my previous provider.

Top Square Payroll Alternatives

QuickBooks Payroll

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Chad P. Chad P.

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

Freezer Fresh LLC

We love Square, easy app on phone to monitor sales and know when we need to rush up to help the staff. Very functional for business analysis. I would probably sell the business if I need not have Square Payroll to assist with paying employees and tax reporting.

Pros

Sales reporting is fantastic with downloadable reports to excel for analysis, trending to be used for purchasing and inventory controllable. Helps us determine which items are selling best.

Cons

Employee timecards are hard to review on a weekly basis to see where there is an error. You can go day by day but in all honestly we are not using the scheduling function which may prevent some of these errors.

Johnny L. Johnny L.

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

Good but it can be better.

Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros

I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons

Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort

Laura N. Laura N.

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Love it and need it

It has been easy to use and inexpensive. I love it!

Pros

Square provides us with payroll and credit card processing. Without them I do not think we could afford to have employees. The fact that they do all the work for me with taxes, forms, compliance, etc. is amazing. This service has helped my business grow.

Cons

Nothing problematic, we have not had any issues with square payroll.

William C. William C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 6-12 months

User Friendly Payroll

As stated above, it's extremely user friendly. Much easier to setup then competitors I've looked into.

Pros

It's super helpful considering I utilize contractors when needed since my service business is still small. Extremely user friendly. And I love that you can issue payroll via Cash App.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about Square Payroll.

Gusto and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Easier to setup, more user friendly interface, and more cost effective for the size of my business.
Adam B. Adam B.

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

We're long time square customers and recommend it whole heartedly.

Cost saving

Pros

The software is super simple to use. It is cost-effective and The reliability has proven to be great.

Cons

A few features I'd like to have that aren't there but I suspect they'll be added in time as it is frequently updated.

Ebone A. Ebone A.

Reviewed on 11/01/2020

I love it

Other than that everything is great and I enjoy using it daily

Pros

I love how versatile and easy it is to use

Cons

The only thing I would change is how much percentage they take out off each charge.

Allison W. Allison W.

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Does what you need, could use more features

This is much better than using an accounting service to do payroll.

Pros

Works with our time tracking app. Easy to do payroll deductions for uniforms and such. Putting employees in charge of getting their paystubs and keeping their tax info up to date is nice.

Cons

You can only direct deposit to one account per employee. This is ridiculous! Splitting deposits into more than one account has been and is available on every other payroll platform. It is crazy Square won't implement this option and is a huge annoyance.

Carly O. Carly O.

Reviewed on 08/12/2017

Overall, I'd give it an above average review. There are some things that can be improved,.

We benefit from the easy to use, easy to set up nature. Adding products is easy. Fast, reliable checkouts.

Pros

I like Square overall for my POS and Payroll. In general we like Square and Square Payroll because it was easy to set up, easy to use, it has good UI, nice design, easy to run weekly payroll.

Cons

1) Cost is good for a small business, but hikes as soon as you get a lot of employees. We are a taproom with lots of part time employees and some only work once a month. Maybe it could be a set rate over a range, like 5-10 people is XX$ per month.
2) Reporting errors with state. There have been several reporting errors and we've gotten letters from the Comptroller. Ideally we shouldn't be getting these.
3) Lastly, the difference between employee permissions and payroll should be blurred. I'd like to give my employees different access to features.

Leonel R. Leonel R.

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

owner

I love it

Pros

it's what I need and it works for me and my employees.

Cons

I liked every thing that this software offered

Richard A. Richard A.

Reviewed on 05/05/2021

Payroll Made Easy!

An easy and convenient way to run payroll . Very affordable.

Pros

Easy to use , great price ,awesome to have all information online. I give it a high five!

Cons

Everything is a wonderful experience. Sometimes Customer Service takes a while to reach.

Erick C. Erick C.

Easy and straightforward

Ease of use

Pros

Easy to use - no hidden fees. A straightforward product that delivers exactly what is advertised . We have been using exclusively square for customer payments for
Over two years and have never had an issue that wasn't resolved quickly

Laci M. Laci M.
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 09/06/2019

I love Square!

Pros

I love how easy it is to use, the price, and that it integrates with my current square system. The built in time clock is amazing and so easy to use!

Cons

There could have been more into to teach you how to set up and use the software but it is easy enough to self teach. I have had a few questions when moving thru the system but after a little work, have been able to work it all out on my own.

Wen Y. Wen Y.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Easy setup, easy to use and simple for small business

Convenience

Pros

It's simple and easy to use. You can upload hours from a third party time management system like homebase. You can print checks immediately after running payroll and not have to wait for the payroll company to mail checks.

Cons

It's expensive to have employee monitoring. Have to use outside free service to log employee hours. Running payroll through a 3rd party like ADP is more affordable.

Julie S. Julie S.

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Gets the job done.

It makes payroll easier.

Pros

It's mostly one-stop shopping (so to speak) for all the things I need to do for my business and Payroll is fairly simple to use, ensuring my contractors get paid quickly and easily.

Cons

1. The interface isn't 100% intuitive (links don't lead you to where you think they will, etc).
2. I have to use it in conjunction with my scheduling service instead of it all being right here within Square. (We use Homebase - which does sync with Square for timesheets, which we like.)
3. For contractors, there's several more set up steps than we'd think there would be.

David W. David W.

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Great payroll service, and a lot less expensive than our past companies.

We've used Square Payroll for over 4 years, and love it!

Pros

Easy to use, fast to input payroll for the week. I like the integrated Workers' Compensation policy.

Cons

My only concern is the ease at which I can pay the same employee different pay rates- for doing different jobs. While I can do it, it's slightly slower than my last payroll company I've used. Still great, though!

Sue W. Sue W.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Timecards are easy to edit and upload

I have decreased the time spent on payroll tremendously with Square. I am a former Paychex user and Square is so much easier to use. It is always improving as well

Pros

User friendly. Efficient, always accurate. I like to be able to edit the timecards when employees forget to sign in or out.

Cons

I would like to be able to remove past employees from the employee list. I know that you make them inactive but their name is still there.
I find that signing on a new employee is not always easy. They dont get the link or they get an app to download. This is the feedback I get from my employees.

Terence F. Terence F.

Reviewed on 30/12/2017

Excellent

Pros

I like the loan I got and I like the easy way it's being paid back.

Cons

About 50% of the time the reader does not work, whether I use the wireless or the wired, and whether I use my iphone 8 or iPhone 5.

Tenaya R. Tenaya R.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

over priced but works well

Pros

easy to use with credit processing, works well with iPhone and very easy to use.

Cons

cost too much you are already taking a lot compared to other merchants, should get a discount with more volume

Julia T. Julia T.

positive, easy, effective

Pros

It is easy for both myself and my employees to access and use. I can access payroll information from both my iPad and computer, which is very helpful when reviewing and submitting payroll.

Cons

It would be nice to just be able to review the Tax Forms without having to download -- a read only option for the times when I'm looking for something.

Brad L. Brad L.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Couldn’t be easier!

Easy, fast, reliable, flexible. A++

Pros

Quick set up, easy to use, flexible, and intuitive.

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about this system.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Familiarity with the square brand.

Super simple to use!

My taxes and 1099's are created for me, my payroll is done in seconds and it saves me so much time!!!

Pros

It's easy to use, setup and understand. I came from using Quickbooks payroll which was way too intense for my business needs. This is great.

Cons

That I have to pay for it! LOL. It's really awesome software. In the beginning of using the software I didn't have any payroll to perform and was not aware that I needed to at least confirm a zero payout to close payroll for the term so that's made it a pain once I figured out I needed to do that. I don't know how that could be fixed in the future, a communication issue.

Kelly S. Kelly S.

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

I own a small bakery, with 1 employee. No extra time for troubleshooting. square payroll does...

Pros

Easy to use and immediate response of the team! The software is very user friendly. I have very little time in my work day, and it works for me in my business day to help keep me on track and keeps up with tax forms for my business.