Direct Mail Reviews

About Direct Mail

Direct Mail is an email marketing solution for Mac that lets you create and send personalized emails to your list of subscribers. Designed for SMBs and large companies alike, Direct Mail includes customizable email templates,...

Browse Direct Mail Reviews

Brett
Brett
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

If Apple made a direct mail app, it would look & feel like this!

It's a perfectly simply solution to creating customer engagement. It's actually a pleasure to use since it looks and feels great.

Pros

it's really easy to set up and execute and it integrates with my CRM of choice (Daylite) really well

Cons

I don't have any deal-breakers, but would always love more templates

Jens

Reviewed on 17/07/2021

Great Newsletter Software

Love it! I have used Direct Mail for many years, brought it with me into different companies and into different projects and it always does the job.
Despite the pleasantly simple and light user interface, Direct Mail has really advanced and professional features that cover everything I need, from tracking to unsubscribing. Even though I'm not a marketing professional, I was able to run several well received newsletters and very successfull campaigns with it.
I don't use Direct Mail very often (just running the odd newsletter or campaign), but I have used it for EVERY mass email I have sent since appx. 2014 and cannot think of any other software that does what I need it to do as well as this.

Pros

I really like the ease of use, the WYSIWIG editor and the long list of imported address formats. Direct Mail ist fun to use and easy, while still having all features needed for a professional campaign (it even connects to Google Analytics which will make the marketing guy helping on my next campaign very happy).

Cons

In some areas the content block management feels slightly clunky and needs one or two more clicks than necessary.

Jeni
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 23/01/2021

Customer Service Just Stopped Communicating with Me 2 1/2 Months Ago!

It worked fine until there was an issue. They made an initial response and never followed up to my subsequent questions or requests. I have been sending them the same request for 2 1/2 months and zero response by email or the online chat.

Pros

My predecessor used it and it was easy to continue to use.

Cons

Customer Service when you have a problem.

Top Direct Mail Alternatives

Ilan
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

I've never looked back!

Without a doubt the best system I've used and I love that it's simple and smart at the same time.
It's easy to use and I never feel overwhelmed. Other systems go too far and make the experience feel like you need to be an expert (even though they say it's "easy").

We currently have the smaller of the packages but look forward to expanding to the next level soon - thanks to Direct Mail.

Pros

Where to begin?
• import from Google Sheets (because we use Google forms to add to our database)
• personalised emails with reference to specific fields (with a fallback)
• the reporting (especially the bounce report)
• smart groups
• templates

Cons

Four features I would love to see developed:
1) The ability to include a table with rows and columns
2) The ability to embed HTML/iframe
3) Some widgets like a countdown timer.
4) I would like to feature all our previous newsletters on our website and short of creating a button to each web version, I would love to see an archive site that we could use.

MoonMail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail

Direct Mail makes developing communications to clients easy and very good looking - not the case with competitors.

MoonMail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail

SEE "Why did you make the switch?"
Simon

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Direct Mail always hits the spot

One of my oldest clients is a company that offers PR monitoring software and for the last five years we have been sending out email campaigns every week (Tuesdays through Thursdays) and I know that they are getting customers signing up to their services as a result. We update their campaigns on a regular basis and with Direct Mail's excellent interface I can adapt and amend things very quickly.

For all our email marketing clients Direct Mail allows me to schedule highly personalised campaigns for weeks ahead – a feature that is especially invaluable when we go away, ensuring that our clients' campaigns never miss a beat even when we're on the beach.

Getting notifications on my iPhone, via their Stamps app, means that whenever I am out of the office I am always aware how our campaigns are performing and can provide instant updates if clients need information even when I am away from my Mac.

Direct Mail is a real gem; the pricing policy is very fair and you can easilty up and downgrade your plans as needed. Their support is excellent, and I must shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]; even though we're on different continents we're on the same page and I appreciate being able to have direct contact with support and not having to go raise support tickets.

I very much look forward to continuing to send out compelling campaigns via Direct Mail in the months and years ahead.

Pros

Direct Mail is a powerful and comprehensive, but easy-to-use, email delivery platform that makes every email campaign a joy to design, develop and implement.

It's intuitive interface allows you to design a campaign, create a distribution list and then monitor the results in realtime. The templates that are provided by Direct Mail are almost infinitely adaptable, but you can create your own formats or import templates. Either way, you have at your fingers tips a professional system that I would now not want to be without.

Cons

There is very little, if anything, to dislike, but if there is one improvement they could make it would be to have the option to use the email sign-up forms as a contact form.

At the moment, when creating automated sign-up forms, the only option is for users to 'subscribe', but if Direct Mail could incorporate the option to choose 'submit' and not 'subscribe' that instantly turn it into a powerful and highly editable contact form, which you can incorporate into any website.

Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail

Easy answer: Direct Mail knocks MailChimp out of the water every time. MC is web-based and requires you to log in to find your campaigns; then, you are faced with an overly-complex interface that is nowhere near as intuitive as Direct Mail. When I trialled Direct Mail I immediately closed my MC account. Since then, I have only used MC if clients are using it, but every time I push the merits of Direct Mail.

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail

Constant Contact (CC) offers a suite of solutions, from email marketing to e-commerce, which was potentially of interest, but I found their email marketing system a constant irritation. Again, it's web-based (or was when I trialled it) and found the method of building campaigns a real pain; the lack of customisability was nowhere near as good as Direct Mail.
Arne Sigurd
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Direct Mail because it's easy to use

I use Direct Mail heavily with DM campaigns for services and products, weekly and monthly newsletters both for my business, my local Rotary Club, and for my Rotary District.

Pros

What I like most with Direct Mail is how easy it is to use - especially for newsletters. Easy to design own templates and administer the address databases and opt-in functionality. It is also a good thing that you only pay for what you use by "digital stamps".

Cons

I would probably want a more visual way to make "workflows" and the possibility to make more tailor-made opt-in and landing pages for campaigns.

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail

Direct Mail is easier to use and costs less. Saving me both time and money.

Carrie
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 20/04/2020

Direct Mail made me happier and swear less (and saved me money)

Direct Mail has meant it takes me about one fifth of the time to compose and send an email campaign (compared to MailChimp). The user interface means I'm more confident about writing emails because I don't end up fixated on all the fidgety formatting and targeting issues I had on MailChimp. I've probably increased the number of EDMs I've sent out by about 80% because of how easy it is to use Direct Mail. I've had a much better engagement rate from my lists, and I swear at the computer a whole lot less.

Pros

I switch to Direct Mail from MailChimp and have no regrets. I basically love everything and can't choose one.

I love the fact I can work on campaigns locally on my computer without being online and not in a browser. The lists and address management is simple yet agile. I've been able to integrate the sign up form on to my website very simply without needing a third party plugin.

The emails I send are irregular, - some months I might send thousands, and others none at all - so the pricing structure is ideal for my business model. I'd never be able to sign up to a program that was charging a monthly subscription fee.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to get in touch with customer support while I was figuring out the software, and it would be good if there was a community forum for users to exchange knowledge and tips. I ended up abandoning my original idea and using a workaround because it took too long to be able to contact customer support (I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, so the time zones don't easily match up).

• Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 13/06/2021

Long time user and very happy

Excellent product and my experience has been a positive one. The support team is fairly responsive.

Pros

I have been using Direct Mail for 7+ years and it is a great product. Like all products, as a daily user, there are a few things I would like to see added, but all in all a great product and much easier to use than things like CC or Mailchimp etc..

Cons

Customizable templates can be a little tricky and they no longer have full text wrapped images

Constant Contact and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing Direct Mail

Wanted a mac specific app. Would love this on the Ipad..

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail

Mac native app. Easy to use.

Great Value, Top-Notch Customer Service

It allowed me to provide a high level of service to my clients at a very reasonable price.

Pros

Cost drew me to Direct Mail for Mac; I was sending out up to 50,000 weekly e-mails for a client at one point. It was by far the lowest-cost option for bulk e-mailing on that scale.

But there were other things that made the experience so great. On the few times I had deliverability issues, I got one-on-one attention from the developers who talked me through the adjustments I needed to make on my DNS settings. They are very protective of their sender reputation, which increased my deliverability rates vs. other vendors without dedicated IPs.

Cons

I'm using it a lot less these days because my workflow has changed and it isn't a good fit for what I am trying to accomplish at the moment. But if I were to return to mass sechduled e-mails, Direct Mail for Mac would still be my first choice.

Constant Contact and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Direct Mail

Cost, but stayed with it because of the customer service and excellent product.
Todd
Todd
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Amazing and solved our bulk email issues.

Pros

Our team loves how easy this is to manage, set up and keep on top of key clients. Bravo!

Cons

We LOVE IT and have zero changes. Thanks so much.

Abdelaziz
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 28/10/2022

Great platform to organize emails but can be difficult to navigate!

Pros

Great for managing emails and email lists!

Cons

Customer service is difficult to reach when needed!

Claus
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 27/03/2022

One word: excellent

Very very good. Combination support, documentation and ease of use make it a positive experience

Pros

WYSIWYG editor
Tracking opens and being able to generate list of emails 'not opened' on a campaign
Support is excellent

Cons

A bit expensive
copy paste from word to editor unexpected results where formatting differs and is difficult and time consuming to change
Inability to 'save-as' a word document. We collaborate and the common platform is word. Currently have to view online, save-as, export into a word document which has lots of formatting issues. A simple 'SAVE-AS' (word / PDF) would be an appreciated feature.

Christophe
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

The best email marketing

This software is so easy to use and so powerful . I wish I had found it before. It has turned my email marketing from pain (with previous systems) to joy ! It is so easy to set up a very cool looking email and send it. I can control my budget to my needs. Recharge my credits when I need it and pay nothing for 2 months if Im not sending anything. And ... the mailing list management system is just amazing. it is so easy now to admin my mailing lists, correct them as I go, group people in different categories and move them around if needed. I have even intagrated the Subscribe forms on my web sites . Again ... flexible and so easy to set up . I LOVE direct mail . My music promo has totally changed since I use this software ... and all from the confort of my own computer !!!

Pros

Everything !! this is a genious program I had been waiting for for many years. A dream come true

Cons

Nothing. I love everything about direct mail. Even the subscribe form is great to use

Rajesh
  • Industry: Building Materials

Excellent Email Marketing Tool

I am able to send campaigns to different groups which I have made based on their buying interests and it helps me sell more even during this pandemic as my campaigns are specific to groups. My revenues have increased each year.

Pros

I like the summary of campaign reports, particularly the number of times a particular client reads it and his location while reading the campaign. All my customers are known to me and when they read it away from their country then I know they are on holidays and I do not disturb them by calling. The templates of direct mail help me make appealing campaigns to my audiences.

Cons

Currently we are not able to have put the excel format inside the body of the campaign.

Marty
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

If you knoow what you're doing - DirectMail is the best

Having used a range of programs - DirectMail certainly gives you the most hands on experience. The biggest draw back is being app-based; while most competitors are all online - but this is what also provides the biggest advantage in terms of tools and functionality.

Pros

Control of the whole process - from HTML editing to subscriber management to design and spam testing - it's fun to work with.

Cons

No online tool. Reporting is limited, there aren't enough ways to compare and contrast. Very hard to export reports and data in bulk. Hard to get examples out as PDF / Image filles.

Response from e3 Software

Thanks a ton for your review, Marty! Much appreciated!

I wanted to mention that the latest version of Direct Mail includes expanded options for exporting report data and for exporting your messages as PDF files. You may want to update and take a look. Please reach out to us with any questions or feedback. Thanks!

Replied 27/06/2019
Karis
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

My best Direct Mail

my experiance was good with Direct Mail. i have the option to send emails using my own email server, providing flexibility and control over the email delivery process. its amazing. I hope to develop it with the aim of improving it

Pros

what i like about Direct Mail is that includes automation features such as autoresponders and drip campaigns, allow me to schedule and automate email sequences.

Cons

Direct Mail might have limitations in terms of collaboration features for teams

Imtiaz
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

In Love with Software

Awesome, reliable, and easy to use.

Pros

In containing and distributing updated content and news to our members is critical on time and knowing that the email is getting to them. Email addresses verification is also important together with usable templates. This is what makes Direct Mail so critical for us as an organization. It is user friendly reliable and quick.

Cons

Bundles should be more affordable and more templates for sports should be included together with a feature to include the collection of funds from the email management. Also, consider including a database add on.

Kirby
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 05/01/2019

Terrific Basic Service for Digital Marketing

Very Good!

Pros

Great product for the price

We use Direct Mail to manage our customer base for two separate target audiences. The service is helpful and easy to use, being able to create, reuse and modify previous campaign flyers, driving traffic to our websites, providing useful metrics, keeping our database relevant when clients change email addresses or are no longer interested in receiving annoucements. Overall DM has worked well for our small business. We cannot afford to invest in other CRM services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, GetResponse or other email marketing services. DirectMail fulfills our current needs.

Cons

Wish the interface were more user friendly
Wish there were more customization tools for the templates

Reviewed on 27/04/2021

Great for basic emailing and if don't need modern automation, ecommerce, etc. needs

Overall, is a super great tool to manage regular advertising emailing campaigns and periodically newsletters, but will find trouble if need integration with ecommerce or automation tools.

Pros

Mac native and works offline.
Graphic and html easy switching and simple to use to achieve great looking emails.
Free and affordable subscription or pay per mail plans.
Detailed tracking system.
Integration with own domains for SMTP.

Cons

Lacks of modern marketing automation tools.
My sensation is like other sender get lower bounce rate.
Full features are unlocked by paying and subscribing.

Craig

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

Excellent application. Fairly easy to use. Good interface design.

Pros

Best means (by which users are honored in terms of their time for messaging) to communicate with various constituents.

Cons

Often have to retype names of messages as the app updates indiscriminately. Would love to be able to stop sending, then start again without starting at the beginning of the mailing list.

Sid

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

I love using this program

Pros

I love using this program. But best of all, when my computer damaged a key file, I sent it to Direct Mail. They sent an auto email saying it would be repaired in 24 hours. They sent the file back in two hours and it has worked perfectly ever sense. I highly recommend this program and company.

Cons

I would love this program to some how tie into the Outlook database so I only have 'one' set of contacts.

Ole
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 15/01/2021

Great program for managing email lists for mac users

Pros

Easy to use and a very good and fast support

Cons

Nothing, for me it has been the perfekt e-maillist administration program

HAMAN
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

GLOBAL TELEGRAM ONCE A YEAR

I use directmail for over 10 Years. I am working each year on my Newsletter, which takes always a Year to finish the projects and make the newsletter ready globaly. It Hits like a Bomb always. People are impressed how i present my work by a Old School Telegram / Newsletter. I love Directmail, but i am pissed about old email adress which bouncing. I would love to have a Email Controler in Direct Mail which tell You, this Email do not exist anymore.

Pros

THE RECIPIENTS, because i can find my most important clients.

Cons

THE THEMES - (layouts which u can use it very easy and it fits perfectly in every screen - mobil friendly)

Magda
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 16/07/2022

Great E-Blast Program

It's absolutely helped us to expand our reach. Recipients often comment on how beautiful our emails are. Very satisfying to use and to receive such feedback.

Pros

We've found Direct Mail extremely versatile, enabling us to send clear, elegant, eye-catching e-blasts to our main list (2000+ addresses) and numerous sub-lists organized by interests and geography. Also LOVE the reporting feature.

Cons

Still find it cumbersome to add smaller lists to our main one (for example list of 2022 program alumni) while keeping the original small list. I often have to do this several times or else the original (smaller) list winds up empty. Also, some issues with formatting paragraphs within sections of text and closings (ex, my name, with title underneath, comes out double-spaced no matter how much I've tried to make it single-spaced...)

Greg
  • Industry: Publishing

Been Using for Years

Its a bit pricey compared to others I've seen but the ease of use and feature set make it worth the extra. I can trace far more revenue gained than what I've paid for the use so it's definitely been a good part of my workflow.

Pros

Super easy to use, excellent reporting, great personalization features.

Cons

Perhaps I've missed how but I'd like to be able to assign and then remove contacts from various lists without deleting from a master list.