About Act!

Act! Premium, a powerful CRM and Marketing Automation tool in one platform, is perfect for small and midsize businesses looking to market better, sell more, and create customers for life. With unparalleled flexibility and freedom...

3.3

Browse Act! Reviews

Perry

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

Excellent Software! I run my entire business on ACT!

My Experience with ACT has been great. I have spoken to support on occasion and they are very knowledgeable and supportive, and have always resolved any issues or questions I have. The one great feature of ACT is that it is on my laptop. So if I travel or the internet is down, I can still function - not so with SF.

Pros

It is very simple to use and yet very powerful. It provides me with Notes and Histories and as many fields as I need to put in data about my customers and vendors. It is linked to my phone as well as my admins data. I really cannot see running my business without ACT.

Cons

really nothing to complain about. they do updates and patches to fix any issues I have ever encountered

Tammy
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

ACT! for Insurance/Financial Advisors

I love all the features that meet the needs of financial advisors. The customizable fields are beneficial and improve the overall use of the software. It has probably just as many features as other customer relations management programs but cost is substantially less. Very happy with my selection.

Pros

The Act! for Advisors software has been modified to meet the requirements of a financial advisor which includes being able to input information regarding insurance contracts. The new Marketing Automation is an great way to send out Newsletters, etc.

Cons

They have lots of online resources/video's to learn the Marketing Automation. You can also speak to customer service but they recently cut their remote access where you can have customer service work on your computer to help answer/show you how to do things with the marketing automation.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

Salesforce was cost prohibitive.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Cost while not sacrificing the overall features.
Kama

Reviewed on 22/01/2023

Act! has changed a lot over the years

Pros

initially, I liked the ability to manage my various lists of contacts.

Cons

Lots of duplicates get created by not being able to have a master database with the option of placing contacts in multiple categories and then creating separate lists per project that do not change as the master database is updated. I want to be able to see what contacts I sent information to two months after I built the list so I am clear where we had a miss when we learn of updates/new contacts, but Act does not allow that.

Response from Act!

Kama – We are very sorry to hear you're having trouble with placing contacts in multiple categories. We want to help as best we can. Please visit https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or give us a call 866-873-2006 to see how we can provide some assistance. We look forward to speaking with you.

Replied 27/01/2023

Top Act! Alternatives

Maud

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

It offers a very comprehensive solution to grow the customer network.

Pros

Potential Customer interactions have been a very effective tool for gaining customers, satisfying and retaining customers. It has versatile marketing automations.

Cons

Customer service was not very professional. Their late return suspended the business process, I was not satisfied with it.

Response from Act!

Thank you Maud for taking the time to share that Act! is making your workday a little easier. We love hearing from our customers, so thanks again for sharing - this made our day!

Replied 15/11/2022
Van McLean
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

ACT! for NGOs

I generally find ACT! basic but easy to use. You find there what you need - particularly the database management.

Pros

I have pioneered the purchase of ACT! in my company. Back then, It offers a perpetual license per user which is great as you don't subject yourself to a monthly or annual subscription. I love the fact that ACT! marketing can be customised and very rare that it falls under the promotions tab of the email recipient.

Cons

ACT! can only be linked to a certain version of Outlook which i find not helpful. Not all the licenses we purchased were maximise as they find ACT! a work duplicate particularly on the finance side since only selected accounting software can be integrated in the ACT! system.

• Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 21/10/2022

Marketing Automation AWFUL - Zero support

Pros

The way it’s supposed to work is ok. Not great. But getting it to work is a very heavy lift. And with inadequate support, it’s totally up to the user to figure it out.

Cons

Where do I start? Bottom line is that setup for marketing automation is nearly impossible. I’ve used successfully ACT! for more than 20 years. But marketing automation is a disaster. The documentation is unhelpful, and in some places, downright incorrect. It has lots of broken links. And their support staff, all offshore, knows nothing about how to help with the marketing automation feature. I had to hire someone who finally figured it out, by trial and error, after several weeks of work.

Response from Act!

Richard, first let us say we're sorry that you're experiencing this problem, we're sure it's frustrating. We want to help and hope you'll reach out to us at [email protected] and provide your contact information so we can contact you directly.

Replied 04/11/2022
Nathan
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

Small Business' should use ACT! for organizational needs.

As long as you are not trying to overload the system creating multiple profiles for many companies, this product works great for smaller companies trying to get their foot in the door for a cross connection software with sales, help desk for technical team, and financial support all in one.

Pros

You can input any information and update it and the information can be seen by anyone in the organization. Makes communication between teams very simple and quick.

Cons

I am not a fan of the way they use multiple contacts past two for a business. If there are a list of people to communicate with each profile has up to two contacts, with more than two a new profile for the company has to be created, creating multiple profiles for each company which can cause confusion for other sections of the company, including processing payments and sending to the wrong contact at the other end or returning a product to the wrong section of said business.

Orsolya
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 23/09/2022

this might be good for small businesses

Pros

We used this software mainly for contact management. We received the emails through Act! and replied back to customers through this system. Also used for scheduling/receiving viewing requests.
What I really liked in this software was that is was very easy to see what was happening during the day, how many emails and viewings we had. You could see the attachments, previous contacts from the customer.
The viewing handling feature was pretty easy to use, you can leave notes, edit the contact details easily.

Cons

I personally did not find this software very user friendly. It was a bit difficult to handle the attachments and we did not always had the proper connection with between Act! and Outlock, therefore we stopped using the Act! after a certain time. But this might be good for smaller businesses.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Orsolya for letting us know how your business uses Act!. We appreciate your time and feedback!

Replied 04/10/2022

Reviewed on 20/06/2022

Product not being sold as described

Great product but absolutely dreadful product development team.

Pros

Contact management, diary management, Opportunity management.

Cons

I need my CRM to integrate with Google so that potential customers can book appointments with me. The software is sold with Google synchronisation. I even asked if the software would synchronise with Google. 4 months later the software still does not synchronise and they cannot give any answer as to when it will be fixed. No worries I think, I could synchronise with Microsoft's Outlook instead… Except that doesn't work either!

Response from Act!

Mark, thank you for letting us know about this - this is not the experience we strive to provide our customers. Please reach out to https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or call 866-873-2006 so we can get a few more details, and provide some possible solutions.

Replied 18/07/2022
Melissa

Reviewed on 11/06/2022

But is it a class ACT?

Pros

When we first implemented the data base years back there was some push back from our current staff, but eventually everyone saw the value.

Cons

They upgraded and no longer offer service support for our version

Response from Act!

Thank you, Melissa for taking the time to share this. We value your feedback! It sounds as though you are using an older version of Act! and we hope you'll find this webpage that describes our more recent offerings helpful: www.act.com/upgrade-center/

Replied 20/06/2022
Jonathan
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

• Industry: Music

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act.

We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc.
Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was – this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload.

On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this.

We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us.

From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Karen
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 09/10/2017

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support.

I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

wayne
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Long time ACT! user, especially happy with V23

Greatly improved and confidence-inspiring in V23.
Minimal frustration
ACT! is feature-rich, and discovery of additional functionality is fun as well as useful.
Many useful/fun feature surprises to be discovered with HELP and excellent videos to get there

Pros

Not easy to learn, but getting much easier. But very powerful for those who would take the time to become familiar with its muscle.
It is apparent to me that Swiftpage folks are remarkably skilled and motivated to make ACT! an (THE) industry leader.
Significantly greater reliability and freedom from issues.
I have seen wonderful improvements in marketing automation with V23
Current functionality of marketing automation was beyond my imagination
Technical assistance is quick and has become absolutely first class. I rate a solid 10

Cons

Steep learning curve, but learning the system is greatly eased recently with new videos that are easy to follow and with a narrative voice that is especially understandable
Technical help is not available on weekends and after hours.

Bud

Reviewed on 16/04/2017

22 year plus customer Sage / Act

Years ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Pros

I was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.

Cons

Customer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.

Alissa
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 15/07/2022

Act is the affordable options

Overall Act has been a strategic software choice for our organization.

Pros

Act has a lot of the features more expensive CRM’s offer without sacrificing usability or features. It is feature rich and simple to use.

Cons

Act hasn’t had many changes in the last two years. I would like to see more growth for this product.

Salesforce Sales Cloud and SugarCRM

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Act has the more affordable option

Response from Act!

We love hearing from customers Alissa! Thanks for letting us know why you selected Act! and how it is helping your business. We look forward to more years delivering value to you!

Replied 18/07/2022
Anne
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

Think carefully before buying ACT!

Our overall experience with ACT! is not good, so after 17 + years I made the decision to switch to another CRM when we upgraded our computers.
Our IT Consultant summarised it beautifully when he was moving programs and files from the existing hardware to new hardware and said "Please tell me you don't want me to move ACT! as well". He never liked it either
The issue with email marketing and emails was long standing and in the end we gave up, without being even close to a solution.
For a small business, it became too complex and non-user friendly, especially as other competitors with more features, better service and a more user-friendly 'current' CRM product entered the market.
Plus, to add insult to injury, Customer Service has deteriorated over the past few years.

Pros

When we first bought ACT! around 17 years ago we loved it. We were all happy with what it could do to automate the office and with client/lead management.

Cons

Email marketing and email functionality - or lack of - with Outlook.
Only being able to attach one document file to a history note has also caused much frustration.

Lloyd

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Best Program

In my business, history is necessary. I have data going back over 25 years that is at my fingertips. That and along with the ability to design and set a drip system to my client base is a great feature. I am very happy with my ACT! program for my business use.

Pros

I have been a user of the ACT! program since I became a Realtor in 1990. It is one of the most versatile programs around. I am only using parts of the program necessary to run my business. It allows a comprehensive amount of information on each individual on record or family history. All activity is recorded in the history file for future reference. All Emails, letters and correspondence is attached to the individual for future reference. The groups that can be set-up

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this program. It has all of the features that are needed to run a business. There are also features included that are helpful in record keeping and developing schedules for a smoother day to day operation.

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

The Most Intuitive and Powerful Sales Tool You Can Have

I have used Act! from the beginning. With that, I mean from inception to today. As a sales representative, I became an expert user of Act! It served as the foundation for my success and gave me an unfair advantage over my peers. While my fellow sales reps worked harder and harder, I worked harder but smarter, winning every sales contest and breaking a few records in the process. As a Regional Sales Manager and VP of Sales, I used the science that Act! afforded me with while my competitors relied on luck. Now, as a consultant, I recommend and teach Act! as the foundation of a solid process. I have turned down consulting contracts because the client company did not and would not install Act! As a sales writer, published in such magazines as Selling Power and Life Insurance Selling, I have recommended and used Act! in dozens of articles and a few books. Act! is key to a successful sales career.

Pros

Scalability and ability to customize

Cons

None

Cody
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

THe company has been using it for at least 10 years

THere are a lot better CRM's out there figure out what you are using it for and what you need and start shopping I could suggest a few but to me they are a bit industry specific.

Pros

seems very simple and we had a long standing relationship with ACT with the in house CRM. So we had a lot of our contacts already on board and it does keep track of contacts.

Cons

When I came on board about 3 months ago I suggested going to the cloud the idea was well recieved and I contacted act. We intially had some issues uploading the information some of which I will admit was my own fault. when I did the software lagged extremely bad. I contacted the company spent almost 4 hours o the phone (mostly on hold) the first time and then didnt get a call back untill about 9:30 that night. Then the trial was running out with out the issue being resolved I asked them to extend it while we tried to fix the issue they told me I had to buy it and then they would be able to fix it....

Keith

Reviewed on 15/04/2020

Fits my business well

Does what I need and what I expected when I purchased it.

Pros

Flexibility to set ACT to support different operations in my business.

I heavily customise the fields.

One version is my HR system. It beats Sage 50 HR for me

Cons

Difficult question. It does what U require.

If I am being critical, it could do with faster search routines. Also reporting is a bit dated.

Sage HRMS

Flexibility /customisation
Brian

Reviewed on 15/08/2019

Long time user

Despite the issues I mentioned above once you get it set up it is very reliable and I never run into issues such as crashing. It is a very stable program in my experience.

Pros

I've been using Act for 20 years and it works fine for most of my needs. I love that I can synchronize databases with my team members. It is also customizable so that the contact screens show almost any fields you could want. They do have a very good support site with very good walk-throughs to solve problems.

Cons

I know I'm not getting the most out of it or using it to its full capability, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with a lit of other applications where you would need to import your database. I have also found that (maybe because the database attaches to sql server?) it can be a little cumbersome to set up and get it syncing and it is very finnicky.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 21/10/2015

Easy to use amd gives you fuill ownership of your data

Pros

The deployment options for Act! are more extensive than any other CRM on the market, your data is controlled in your own environment, can be accessed over the network, via Browser and remote devise plus remote synchronisation models for travellers where there is no internet (like on planes).
Act! is also fully customisable to suit your workflow and business strategy requirements over which we have control at all times.
Act! has improved our team collaboration, increased our sales through better process management and reporting
Our team love using Act! as it is simple and easy to understand

Cons

Swiftpage have only had ownership of Act! for 2 years whereas Sage had it for over 10 years, I believe they have strong strategy on future development of Act! however there has not been a lot of change over the past year. We are hoping for improvements in browser support for 2016

Heather

Reviewed on 13/06/2019

We Love it!

I think we would be lost without ACT! We have had it for 4+ years now and it seems to be the glue that holds all the information together!

Pros

Easy to input customer information. Easy to look up info. Print all our contracts and labels.

Cons

Recently started charging more. Meaning they now charge for each computer that has software running on it.

• Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

Act Review

I own a sales agency. My business is communication. Act is a great tool for assisting in communicating, I like the auto dialer, and storing records of my communication.

Pros

Everything in one place. It is great that Act integrates with Outlook so you can keep histories of email messages. You can add attachments such as quotes in word or .pdf form.

Cons

Can we get it to work with OneNote? I use OneNote for my to do's, quote follow up, etc. It would be great if you could link opportunities and histories using OneNote.
I have issues using opportunities. It is really me that has the issue, not the software. Maybe if it was a simpler tool I would use it more??

Response from Swiftpage

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the review! And thank you for the feedback - I will pass it along to the team.

Replied 22/05/2019