Act! Reviews

About Act!

Act! Premium, a powerful CRM and Marketing Automation tool in one platform, is perfect for small and midsize businesses looking to market better, sell more, and create customers for life. With unparalleled flexibility and freedom...

3.8
3.4

Browse Act! Reviews

Ulrich
Ulrich
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Magical Act !

My experience with Act has been wonderful. This software is a real gift, a real treat. It's so fantastic how it allows me to automate my business. Very easy to use, I can easily retrieve information on customers; I also have a history of my mails, calls and letters.

Pros

I like this software. Being able to improve my communication, increase my sales and ensure the loyalty of my customers is so magical! And the ease of remote tasks is just incredible. And to think it's so easy to use!

Cons

Nothing to complain about! This software works like a charm and is easy to use.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Ulrich! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning that Act! has improved your customer communications and customer loyalty! We'd love to learn more about your business. If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story. It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Replied 24/11/2023
Sally

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Basic CRM that does the job

Pros

ACT is easy to use and does what a CRM is supposed to do: manage contacts and contact information. It is easy to create contacts, companies, links and search for them. It can be used offline which makes it extremely convenient when there is no internet access (eg: business trips). The DB will synchronize when you are back online. Another thing is that it is an off the shelf product: it does not require any development to configure.

Cons

The software lacks customizable reports and dashboard. It is extremely complicated to setup a good dashboard with the reports that you need. There is not much options or flexibility, and the display does not always end up being right (missing items). So it is not the best for sales/opportunities management.

Response from Act!

We love hearing from our customers Sally, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is helping your business. We understand that you found some limitations around reporting and wanted to be sure you had access to these digital resources to help with your customization needs.

If there are additional features you'd like to see in Act!, we'd love to know and invite you to please submit a feature request by visiting this URL.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Replied 28/11/2022
Nicole

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

ACT has many features, but most of them are cumbersome and lacking full functionality.

Pros

Our office has been using this product since before I started. It is a solid database program and if that is all you want to do is have a large database of contacts, then this performs well.

Cons

I dislike how this is still only available for windows computers which makes communicating information in an office with both Mac and PC impossible. Also, the outlook plug in that allows emails to be synced with a contact in ACT will only link emails to the PRIMARY contact. So that means you have to manually sync that. If you are emailing over 100 emails a day, you end up either spending most of your time manually syncing contacts or just foregoing this feature. Also, you can only add 4 contacts to a company. Often times, we need to have upwards of 6-10 contacts for a company so the inability to add more is a huge issue. And since ACT isn't online, any changes made on any employee computers while not connected to the server means no one else has access to that info until they make it back to the office to sync. Which means our data is never fully up to date. There are so many problems with this software that we often don't try to take advantage of any of the other functions.

Response from Act!

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your feedback!

You're correct that our main desktop product is only available for PC. Did you know we do offer a fully web-based solution, Act! Premium Cloud? This works great on PC and Mac, as well as keeping your data online on our hosted cloud servers.

It sounds like your business could make good use of the features available via Act! Cloud - might be worth checking it out at act.com - we do offer a free trial too.

We'll definitely be taking your feedback on board for future releases - especially what you've said around email syncing. We've got some major improvements planned in this area in the next release (20.1).

Lastly, there should be no limit to how many contacts can be assigned to a company - if you're having issues adding more than 4, I'd definitely recommend contacting customer support, who'll be happy to help.

If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know!

Thanks again,

Tammy
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

ACT! for Insurance/Financial Advisors

I love all the features that meet the needs of financial advisors. The customizable fields are beneficial and improve the overall use of the software. It has probably just as many features as other customer relations management programs but cost is substantially less. Very happy with my selection.

Pros

The Act! for Advisors software has been modified to meet the requirements of a financial advisor which includes being able to input information regarding insurance contracts. The new Marketing Automation is an great way to send out Newsletters, etc.

Cons

They have lots of online resources/video's to learn the Marketing Automation. You can also speak to customer service but they recently cut their remote access where you can have customer service work on your computer to help answer/show you how to do things with the marketing automation.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

Salesforce was cost prohibitive.

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Cost while not sacrificing the overall features.

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

A GOOD STABLE BASE FOR CRM ... JUST WISH ENHANCING WAS A LITTLE EASIER

We need ACT, and it is the core of what we do. We would like to see ways that we can add depth and richness to a good platfrom

Pros

I like the fact that a team of 5 can share effectively in real time, I like the ease of changing layouts and adding fields, and with Seamless the ablity to easily prdcue high quality documenation. It's link to outlook and ODBC is good and it is a stable, which being at the core of our business is a good thing

Cons

There are many things I think we could do to be more productive but can't, and we do see fields being changed or lost "by themselves". The web version was a poor version of the Pro, and we haven't been able to make it available when offline, which is a frustration.

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Much better value for money, and lower overall overheads meant better for us as a asmall business
Jake
  • Industry: Newspapers

Reviewed on 19/10/2023

Great product with room for improvement

I have been using Act for almost 10 years. It's a quality product for the price point. Good customer service, highly responsive.

Pros

I like that they created a cloud version for people on the go.

Cons

The over design or look of the desktop version is old and kind of dated. It can be updated if I choose to. But that will take time. A larger selection of templates would be excellent.

Supporting Local

Response from Act!

Thank you for your feedback, Jake. We are excited about our upcoming releases and updates with new UX/UI improvements we know you'll love. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is working for you.

Replied 27/10/2023
Nathan
Nathan

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

Small Business' should use ACT! for organizational needs.

As long as you are not trying to overload the system creating multiple profiles for many companies, this product works great for smaller companies trying to get their foot in the door for a cross connection software with sales, help desk for technical team, and financial support all in one.

Pros

You can input any information and update it and the information can be seen by anyone in the organization. Makes communication between teams very simple and quick.

Cons

I am not a fan of the way they use multiple contacts past two for a business. If there are a list of people to communicate with each profile has up to two contacts, with more than two a new profile for the company has to be created, creating multiple profiles for each company which can cause confusion for other sections of the company, including processing payments and sending to the wrong contact at the other end or returning a product to the wrong section of said business.

Abel
Abel
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Avis act!

it is software that allowed me to organize myself and save a lot of time, however it is impossible to change the colors of the program and slow in any type of process, no interface either

Pros

it allowed me to organize myself and manage my time and also a possibility to connect to outlook and keep the communication history

Cons

impossible to change program colors and slow in any type of process no interface either

Response from Act!

Hi Abel, we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know that Act! is helping you organize your time and track your data. We understand that you found some limitations and we invite you to please submit your feature requests to our product team at this URL https://actlink.info/40XVmWQ. Thank you again for your feedback.

Replied 06/10/2023
Rachel
Rachel

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

It is a useful application if you are a solo individual not needing integration.

Pros

There seems to be a lot of functionality and ability to work in-depth with contacts and the information provided with the contacts.

Cons

It is not easy to have more than one person work off of the same database and keep everything integrated. We sync with Gmail and at this time it only allows for one account to sync email messages. We can sync the contacts to multiple accounts with the help of a third party software but only one for the Gmail messages.

• Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Its okay - there are better cloud based options...

I am the admin and a user as I am in ti everyday. I administer users and do training.

Pros

Easy to use - feels familiar even on first use and isn't hard to get started.

Cons

Cumbersome and slow. Once you start getting thousands of contacts in the system get use to watching the hourglass. Server needs to be restarted weekly. Their cloud based solution is lacking in features and not as mobile friendly as other options.

• Industry: Music
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act.

We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc.
Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was – this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload.

On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this.

We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us.

From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Bill

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man

I have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will not invest in this program or database if they did their sales would be much higher nobody can remember everything but ACT does. In all the years I have used at never a problem of any kind I do keep it on three computers as the backup just in case there's a crash of one of my computers. I backup my database 2 to 3 times a week making sure I have everything when I need it. The thing I like most about ACT when I go to sales meetings I have all my information right in front of me on my laptop and so many people don't. So when I am questioned about any customer I can look in my notes and have the answers I need, without ACT my sales numbers would be much lower.
Thanks ACT

Pros

Without ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.

Cons

I cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.

Manuel
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 02/02/2023

I used to love Act!, but now I'm looking for a better product that actually works for me

Pros

I have been using Act! for decades via its various owners and takeovers. It served me well in sales and marketing, and now I use it to track my legal clients and court hearings, trials, etc.

Cons

It does not work in Windows 11, which came with my new computer. Your Tech Support was no help, telling me simply that Microsoft knows about it and "someday" will have a fix. Meanwhile, with a local technician, I had to roll back to Windows 10 (hundreds of dollars paid), then I had to pay a remote Act! specialist (not your employee) to help to get it to "work" even in Windows 10. It barely works now, freezing up constantly and repeatedly throughout my workday. It is practically useless, but I bear with it until I can find another product that works for me.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Manuel, for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is working for you. We see that you had Microsoft 11 compatibility issues last fall, and according to our records, moved to Windows 10 to restore your database and functionality. We are sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues and hope that you'll reach back out to our Support team for further assistance at https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or call 866-873-2006. In addition, we are happy to share the following Knowledgebase article published by Microsoft with more details about the issue and resolution.

Replied 10/02/2023
Josh

Reviewed on 11/08/2017

ACT is a great software product that allows you to integrate your database and track your...

ACT is worth the price and worth the training to get educated on it. Unfortunately you need to spend some time figuring out the details, but once you do, it is off to the races and you will love the system every day. It really is a great product.

Pros

This product allows you to integrate the basic and most complicated processes within your business. I love the email link feature, any time I send an email to a client (who has their email in their account profile), the system automatically saves that email in the client profile. You don't have to search for it in your inbox, or click an extra button to push the details over to the profile, it all happens automatically. The icing on the cake, is now that it is in the client profile, other members of my team can see what emails I have communicated to client, and when they were sent. It helps to keep my team all on the same page. This is by far the best Client Database system I have ever used. AMAZING!

Cons

The biggest downside to ACT is there is not a built in funnel email system. You have to select the group or type of clients that you want to email, export that to another database and then send the communications from there. The system will still tag your emails as long as they are sent from your domain, but having to export the list an use an additional software or service to send the mass email notifications is a little frustrating. If they can fix this option, it would make my life a lot easier.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

e-marketing, marketing automation

I would pay twice if I will be able to go to previous abilities that ACT has

Pros

Act itself is as a good database software. Compering to previous version synchronized with Swift Page it has a better platform to create a template. There are other things you improve but for our small company we do not use them (like several times of sending same e-mail to one customer)

Cons

In Marketing Automation:
- you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template
- you can not send an e-mail from the template to one person (only to the group)
- you can not sent an e-mail to lookup (every time you must create the group from lookup)
- may e-mails is getting lost (in our 2 campaigns about 20% e-mails were not delivered)
In e-marketing
- you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template
******
In your previous version of ACT I was able to add fields from my database SAVE them in the template and send them to lookup without a need to create the group.
******
And your customer service ??? I believe you can do better work.
For example - I wrote an e-mail to you about month ago - with totally no answers from you.

Response from Act!

Andrew,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the new Act! Marketing Automation. Please email me at [email protected] and I will escalate your issue.

Thanks again.

Replied 30/04/2019
victor

Reviewed on 05/11/2021

Cheap product for a cheap price - plan on no tech support

Tech support sucks. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] , all the tech and customer support people hide. You will only get a phone call back. if you dont respond, your support ticket gets closed out. Its the year 2021, but you won't get a tech support person's employee id, email address, phone number, etc because ACT!'s policy is to hide them amidst all the versions ACT keeps implementing. Ask what level technichian a support person is and watch them get upset, say they dont like they way you are treating them and they will hang up.

Pros

it was inexpensive. but you get what you pay for.

Cons

No tech support. ACT is always putting out a new version. each new version trips off problems and requires new integrations and updates that they do not tell you about and cause integration issues with all of your other software expecially microsof.

wayne
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Long time ACT! user, especially happy with V23

Greatly improved and confidence-inspiring in V23.
Minimal frustration
ACT! is feature-rich, and discovery of additional functionality is fun as well as useful.
Many useful/fun feature surprises to be discovered with HELP and excellent videos to get there

Pros

Not easy to learn, but getting much easier. But very powerful for those who would take the time to become familiar with its muscle.
It is apparent to me that Swiftpage folks are remarkably skilled and motivated to make ACT! an (THE) industry leader.
Significantly greater reliability and freedom from issues.
I have seen wonderful improvements in marketing automation with V23
Current functionality of marketing automation was beyond my imagination
Technical assistance is quick and has become absolutely first class. I rate a solid 10

Cons

Steep learning curve, but learning the system is greatly eased recently with new videos that are easy to follow and with a narrative voice that is especially understandable
Technical help is not available on weekends and after hours.

Carlos

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

Super Disappointed

Pros

I liked this software to run my credit repair business. Keep track of letter management and clients. It was easy at first.

Cons

After you purchase your license, in a year or 2 they discontinue the version and you have to pay for the license all over again. I had purchase 3 licenses and wanted to purchase a 4th one and they said I couldn't that I would have to upgrade to the monthly fee version where you pay monthly per license including for the licenses I already had. Now this year they discontinued the licenses I already purchased, they want me to upgrade and pay 550 per license all over again because they have a new version and will not give support nor fixes to the older versions. This is insane. I pay them for a license so they discontinue the product and expect me to purchase all licenses again. ON top of that, it is glitchy, it continue disconnects from Outlook. You call customer support and someone in India answers and they are clue less. Every time Outlook does an update or act updates it completely looses all integration. OH, and they give you 0 customer service, you have to pay for that separately.

Angela
Angela

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

This is the worst CRM ever! I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy.

It is easy to use when it is working correctly.

Pros

It is easy to use when it actually works. I receive emails advising my current version is expiring quite often so it keeps me informed regularly.

Cons

The syncing feature doesn't not always work between the different platforms that we have in our office. In an office of Sales Reps, we need a CRM that will sync in real time but sometimes this CRM won't sync for an hour which makes it difficult for us to schedule appointments for our Sales Reps.

Response from Act!

Hi there Angela,

Sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with Act! I understand where you're coming from, and you're right that while using our remote database synchronisation feature can allow for very flexible office/out-of-office set ups, it does remove the 'real-time' sync capabilities.

Did you know that our Act! Premium Cloud service allows you to access you data (hosted by us) in real-time over the internet from anywhere in the world?

We really appreciate your feedback, and we're committed to make improvements across the board with every release! I really hope we can restore your opinion of our software with some of the improvements we've got planned in the future!

- Jon,
Act! Social Media Specialist

Replied 28/11/2017
Scott

Reviewed on 09/08/2019

Solid and Reliable CRM Product

I've used ACT! in one form or another for over 15 years now, between several different companies, starting from when they were owned by Sage. ACT! has always been a solid, well-designed and well-performing product that puts managing customer's contact information, records and sales first and foremost. While some platforms have broadened their reach, ACT! has always stayed true to what they do well, which is manage clients and sales opportunities, which is what really makes sales.

Pros

ACT has been around for a long time, as has Swiftpage who aquired them. The software itself has continued to evolve and improve, but hasn't lost the overall feel it has always had. What I like the most is that they have cloud AND desktop platforms for those that might not need cloud services. They also have a large number of plans available, are affordable, and there are a good number of independent technicians out there that can help you with your data, and design third party add-ons too.

Cons

The recent change that does not let owners of much older versions of the software activate what they already own has me concerned.

• Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

Act is a great CRM for the cost

Pros

Act is vert easy to use and customize to the users needs. Very little training is required for new users

Cons

None it is a very good CRM for marketing purposes

Response from Act!

Thank you, Mark! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning how Act! is helping their businesses around the world. And, we'd love to learn more about your business if you'd like to share your Act! Success Story.

It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you!

Replied 10/01/2023
Bruce
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 20/01/2017

Using ACT!

I have been using the program for 15 years. I like that when I last upgraded I did not have to learn everything over again! Microsoft does this and I don't care for it. I use mostly the contact database. However, I expect to purchase another copy of the program because of a new contract that will have extensive telemarketing and reporting.

Pros

Cons

Some of the features I will never use and some of the features take some time to learn how to use.

Response from Act!

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the review!

For reference, we offer a wide range of help and support materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested.

For new users of Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running.

We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act!. Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours

It's also possible to purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals

If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask!

Act!

Replied 30/01/2017
Lloyd

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Best Program

In my business, history is necessary. I have data going back over 25 years that is at my fingertips. That and along with the ability to design and set a drip system to my client base is a great feature. I am very happy with my ACT! program for my business use.

Pros

I have been a user of the ACT! program since I became a Realtor in 1990. It is one of the most versatile programs around. I am only using parts of the program necessary to run my business. It allows a comprehensive amount of information on each individual on record or family history. All activity is recorded in the history file for future reference. All Emails, letters and correspondence is attached to the individual for future reference. The groups that can be set-up

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this program. It has all of the features that are needed to run a business. There are also features included that are helpful in record keeping and developing schedules for a smoother day to day operation.

Fred

Reviewed on 01/02/2017

ACT! 19 much better than 18

Have been an ACT user for over a decade. Works well, but syncing with Outlook and Gmail has been rough. Version 19 is much better, but still needs some work. It would be nice if ACT provided tech support for the first 90 days without paying all the time. Also would like to see contact photos added as it is in Outlook.

Pros

Organization and logic

Cons

Syncing with Outlook and Gmail can be difficult.

Response from Act!

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your review!

Did you know it is possible to add a photo to an Act! contact? You can edit your contact layout to include a picture field. Once this has been added, you can display any photo you like within the field.

Regarding the Outlook email history attachments, there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a red X which will display in your taskbar if there are some emails which have been sent but not attached to an Act! contact. This is intended to notify you that these histories will be missing and will give you the option of manually choosing a contact to record them to, or creating a new contact from the info provided.

If you have any further questions about Act! or are looking for advice, check out our Community Forums: https://community.act.com

- Act!

Replied 06/02/2017
Susan
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

Poor Customer Service

Pros

The only reason I use this software is that I have used it for 25+ years, too embedded to change

Cons

The Company, the Pricing and mostly the Customer Service. How crazy is I have to pay extra to speak to someone in the US that speaks English. Appalling. The response time is poor. I requested a password change via email as it is set up to do because it would not take mine; never got the reset password email. I called the sales number thinking they would at least ANSWER the phone. He told me there was an issue with the reset email and customer service (which I pay an extra $480.00 a year for) can help... on hold too long, left a message for a call back.... waiting..... Years ago ACT was amazing, since the transitions it has become progressively worse. The Product itself is good, the sales people are nice. That is it. I do wish I had the time to research options and change, perhaps in 2021.