About Harbortouch POS

Harbortouch is a restaurant POS system designed to help small and midsize businesses manage inventory, promotions and employees on a centralized dashboard. The platform enables administrators to gain insights into sales reports...

Browse Harbortouch POS Reviews

Freddy L.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Please fix this ! Your killing me !

2021 we have 5 stations and 5 skytabs we do about 100k a month
The system is constantly malfunctioning! We spend hours on the phone with techs who are untrained and just plain rude !they have no training and have never been end users and they know zero about business! We call in at least 6 times a week after 9 pm on hold for hours! We process a lot of credit cards ! We loose at least 3,000 dollars a night every time the system locks up ! Our seat capacity is over 700! So imagine 400 people in a place with 3 bars. And the 5 pos stations do not communicate with each other ! So money is walking out the door! And they simply do not care!, they already got there money on the first so screw you is there attitude!
The automatic updates they do will cripple your business ! And they are done all the freakin time!
As a bar owner the system if it was working would be. Ok! But it never does! Shift 4 has ruined what was a great user friendly point of sale! If you are a larger bar or restaurant 3 bars 6 or 7 bartenders expect pissed off bartenders the system will not allow your bartenders to separate tabs!
Get a IT guy on premise because it will lock your bartenders out daily! If you close at 2 am expect to get home at daylight! It will Double charge your customers daily! And they will be blowing your phone up with complaints! I’m sure I will have another heart attack dealing with the stress that comes with this company !
That’s my over all experience!

Pros

I had the Harbortouch in 2014 to 2019 loved it great customer service at that time prior to shift 4 takeover!

Cons

To temperamental! Upgrades cause problems!
Locks out my staff constantly will not separate tabs
I have 5 pos stations and 5 skytabs and they do not communicate with each other ! At least 75 percent of the time they glitch! Costing me thousands in sales and customer walk out ! Customer techs are not familiar with software! Hours on the phone !

Response from Shift4

Freddy,

We first and foremost sincerely apologize for the frustrations you've been experiencing with your Harbortouch POS system. We would like the opportunity to resolve this issue as soon as possible. At your convenience, please send an email to [email protected] with your contact information and Merchant ID number so we can locate your account. As soon as we have this information, someone from our team will reach out to find a resolution.

Replied 29/09/2021
William S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Save your money, not worth it.

This software is way to confusing to use as a salon business. Customer support did not even have the answers to half my concerns. And it’s a la carte type which becomes very very expensive with them.

Pros

Honestly I used this software for about six months. There was nothing I can say I liked about it, nor where are there any pros in my opinion.

Cons

Response from Shift4

William,

We are very sorry to hear about the frustrations you've experienced with Harbortouch. At your convenience, please send your Merchant ID number as well as your contact information to [email protected] so we can review your account and try to resolve this issue.

Replied 25/08/2021
Matt C.

Reviewed on 08/04/2019

STAY AWAY

I have made a few big mistakes in running my business over the years.
Among the top 2 are getting involved with harbortouch.
I was told by the salesman that there was a three year commitment.
During that three years I experienced a multitude of issues, and paid over 5% total for my "free" system.
the first red flag was that I went into it with some concerns, but was told there was a 30 day period that I could return the system.
A couple weeks in, when I called with some concern over the operations, I was told that the 30 day period was up, because it started the day the order was placed, and NOT the day it arrived two weeks later. That was the first indication that they were operating in bad faith.
for the next few months every time they did a system update, it took place at noon. that was a busy tie for me, and the system shut down completely for 30 minutes or longer. Customers who couldn't pay just left.
I called every time this happened of course, and got zero response. No consideration for the fact that they were costing me revenues.
There are many flaws in the system. The pool on employees contained all the staff that was ever employed, with no way to clear out all but the current employees, making it difficult or impossible to use. They could not calculate the hours for the staff.
the daily reports had the credit line and the cash income line in random order day to day. Gift cards were treated as income when sold, and were treated as income when redeemed, so there w

Pros

Nothing.
The screen has no ability to modify the placement or order of buttons.
constant updates occurred during open hours, locking the system up for 30 minutes.
the reports put different categories of revenue in a different order each day, randomly.

Cons

there was very little in the way of reports to track sales.
couldn't track daily sales to compare from year to year, or track which hours had high or low sales.
labor was the worst.
once an employee was in the system, they were always in the way, with no way to change their status o inactive to get them off the screen.
Sales of gift cards were considered revenue, redeeming gift cards were considered revenue, so you paid income tax on the same income twice.
and the gift cards were expensive, of course.

Top Harbortouch POS Alternatives

Cory T.

Reviewed on 30/06/2017

Going with Harbortouch was the absolute worst decision I made in opening my business.

The software is complete rubbish and continues to break down a couple times per week. It doesn't even have the basic functionality needed to run a restaurant. In theory its simple to use. But with the number of times it breaks down per week, and the limited functionality, you always need a manager around to come up with workarounds when the software doesn't work or doesn't do what you need it to do.

Cons

Let me start by explaining what initially attracted me to Harbortouch: 1) Low upfront costs, 2) Salesperson told me to expect my effective rate to be about 1.8%, 3) Equipment would be under full replacement warranty for three years, 4) Customer service would be on call 24/7, 5) Salesperson told me that they would be the first company to issue an EMV solution for restaurants, and 6) they told me that they had a reservation system built in to the system.

My experience:

1) The low up-front costs turned out to be "not true". There were a lot of set-up fees, printer fees, etc that they never explained up front.
2) Four months in to operating my business, my effective rate is closer to 2.55% (not the 1.8% the Sales Rep quoted).
3) I've had two hard equipment breakdowns in the first four months. Yes, they did replace the equipment but transit and set-up time accounts to over a week. So that's two week's worth of down equipment so I've lost internal capacity and added wait times to my customers.
4) Yes, customer service is on-call 24/7. BUT, hold times to talk to someone often are over 30 minutes. I typically need their help a couple times a week because the software is complete rubbish as well. Then another 20-30 minutes or so to resolve the software problems. So I lose about 2 hours of my life per week dealing with rubbish software and their Customer Service.
5) The EMV system is no longer even on the horizon.
6) The reservation system is unusable.

Donald V.

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

Worst company ever

The worst company I’ve dealt with in over 30 years in the restaurant business. Horrible people.

Pros

Nothing. The people that work for them are horrible.

Cons

Not a software problem. That lies with their horrible employees

Response from Harbortouch

Donald,

We are sorry to hear that you have been dissatisfied with your experience with Harbortouch and would like to sincerely apologize for your frustrations and inconveniences. We would like the opportunity to speak with you to better understand your concerns and work with you to resolve them. We were able to locate your account in our database and someone from upper management will be in contact with you shortly.

Replied 16/04/2020
Thomas B.

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

Works okay as long as you're okay with workflows from 1995.

Point of sale operation and tracking.

Pros

Overall works okay and handles medium to high volume usage. Once employees are trained they're typically good to go. Allows us to have as many users as we need. Customer support is rather helpful within the rather restricted scope of what the software can accomplish.

Cons

Most things about it. Software assumes that employees don't make mistakes and always follow company policy. More often than not when we try to accomplish something with it we have to find a way to trick it into accomplishing something similar to what we want.

For instance, company policy is that every entree must have a beverage. After calling support the only way to do this is to setup beverages as a forced choice on every item on the menu however that then means that those beverages are counted as food revenue at the end of the day.

System is obtuse about how to setup items. Items cannot be deleted so when there's a misunderstanding and there's 3 different entries for the same item on the menu, or we decide to change the layout of the dining room we cannot delete excess items or tables leading to clutter in the interface.

Reviewed on 14/01/2019

Worst Option

Almost every option they offer is not allowed or the staff cannot make it work.

Pros

At the beginning it was a one stop place for a pos and credit processing vendor, but the hidden fees quickly changed that

Cons

Customer service, hidden fees, and fighting to get our money back

Response from Harbortouch

Good Morning, we would like to first apologize for any miscommunication that may have come from our end at Harbortouch. We always work to ensure that our merchants are in full understanding of our fees and receive extraordinary customer service each time they contact us. We would like to get a better understanding of the issues you have been experiencing so we may try and resolve them for you. At your convenience, please send an email with your Merchant ID Number to [email protected] Once we have this information, someone from upper management will review your account and be in contact with you.

Replied 22/01/2019
Andrea M.

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Worst POS contract on the market

RUN away as fast as you can! So many good POS systems out there, this is NOT one of them.

Pros

We had it for 4 years, it was down more than it functioned.

Cons

They trick you with the contract, giving you a 3 year renewal for the processing fees (which you must use Harbortouch for) and a 4 year renewal on the POS operating system. If you do the math, you cannot ever get out of your contract.

Response from Harbortouch

Andrea, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with Harbortouch. We ensure to always put our merchants first and strive to ensure they have the best merchant experience possible. We were able to locate your account in our database and someone from our management staff will review your account and be in contact with you ASAP to see how we can correct this for you.

Replied 02/04/2019
Bill K.

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Harbortouch, Do not Bother.

Overall experience was not Good. Would present hidden fees all through out 3 years of contract.

Pros

It was easy to use for the most part. Good software.

Cons

The software is too pricey for a small business.

Response from Harbortouch

Bill,

We would first like to apologize that are unhappy with your Harbortouch service. We strive to be as transparent as possible with our customers in regards to their account, and clearly failed to do so here. We would like an opportunity to work though this with you and resolve your concerns. Someone form upper management will be on contact with you shortly to discuss. In the interim, please feel free to email [email protected] and we will be glad to help.

Replied 26/12/2019
Joshua Y.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

Avoid Harbortouch at all cost

I have never taken the time to go out of my way to write a negative review about any company I have ever worked with. My experience with Harbortouch has led me to search out every site that does reviews. It appears that they have disabled Google reviews of their product, and I assume it would be because it would be very bad.

Pros

I purchased because of the ability to get the hardware without an upfront investment. TERRIBLE MISTAKE ON MY PART.

Cons

Customer support, product support, development. It is clear that the business model for this company is to provide a product that looks good enough to get people to sign a three-year contract. I can't imagine that they have much retention after that initial contract

Response from Harbortouch

Joshua,

We are disheartened to hear of your negative experience with Harbortouch and would like to sincerely apologize. We at Harbortouch strive to provide our valued customers with the best products and exceptional customer service. We would like an opportunity to make this right for you. At your convenience, please email your Merchant ID Number and best contact number to [email protected] Someone from upper management will then be in touch with you to discuss and resolve these issues.

Replied 06/06/2019
Carlos L.

Reviewed on 10/05/2017

Like a car that always breaks down!!! DON'T FALL FOR IT RUN.

I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING A GOOD DEAL BUT I WAS VERY WRONG. DONT TRUST THE SALES GUYS THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SYSTEM. THEY ARE JUST VERY GOOD AT SELLING!

Pros

That my staff knows how to use it.
NOTHING ELSE IS GOOD ABOUT THIS SYSTEM.

Cons

High cc processing fees
ALWAYS BREAKS DOWN!
Online accessing for reporting is practically nonfunctioning (takes like 30 min to pull any report) super slow, for that, I rather just go to the store and print it from there.
Hassle to get any equipment replaced that breaks.
Too many other to mention

Deana B.

Reviewed on 03/12/2018

Love my Harbortouch POS

My overall experience is awesome. It gives me extra time to do other things I need to do as a manager. Increased our revenue through tracking inventory and credit card use. Also love the customer service if a problem arises.

Pros

Easy to use for both manger and employees. Lightens my work load with inventory/inventory and accounting reports

Cons

Would have liked to sit with someone in person to program.

Response from Harbortouch

Deana, thank you for the positive review! We strive to ensure the satisfaction of each and every one of our customers, and are happy to hear that you are happy. If there is ever anything we can do to improve your experience with Harbortouch, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]

Replied 05/12/2018
David W.

Reviewed on 07/02/2019

No access to your data and Customer service is beyond terrible

After install it's been TERRIBLE. Although reliable

Pros

Equipment and setup was great! the ability to duplicate items saves a ton of steps

Cons

Forget reporting it isn't happening. All I wanted was a transaction detail report for a previous month that included items. NOT happening. Call customer service and all they are doing is reading the KB articles. Ordering is not super intuitive

Response from Harbortouch

David, we would like to first offer our sincerest apologies for the complications you have been experiencing with your Harbortouch POS system. We would like an opportunity to have someone from out technical management team review your account and resolve these issues for you. At your earliest convenience, please send an email to [email protected] with your Merchant ID Number so we can address this as soon as possible.

Replied 19/02/2019
Lance D.

Reviewed on 23/05/2018

HORRIBLE

NONE

Pros

NOTHING. ITS OLD AND GOT SCREWED OVER ON FEES SINCE THE FIRST DAY I SIGNED UP AND COULD NEVER GET OUT OF IT AND STILL CANT UNLESS I PAY.

Cons

BEEN TRYING TO CANCEL SINCE I GOT IT AND WITH CLOVER NOW. THEY JUST TOLD ME, EVEN THOUGH I CALLED TO CANCEL TWICE BEFORE MY TERM WAS UP, THAT SINCE I DID NOT FORMALLY WRITE IN THAT IT AUTO-RENEWED FOR ANOTHER 5 YEARS AND THEY WANT MONEY TO CANCEL.

Shaun R.

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Major Regret

Not a day goes by that something doesn't go wrong with this system. The hardware has failed often. They replace it, but certainly a hassle. The functionality isn't there. They told me I could control it remotely via their website. False. They told me I'd save money on credit card processing. False. This has been nothing but trouble since day one. And here I am under contract

Pros

It's shiny

Cons

It's clear that no one who has worked in a restaurant was involved in developing this software. Compared to other systems I've used, very time-consuming.

Frank Z.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Worst Customer Service

Pros

We struggled to make contact with anyone at this business for years and finally threw in the towel and is still causing a headache.

Cons

This is the worst customer service ever experienced. If you're able to get someone to answer you get transferred around. We have been trying to cancel this service for over 6 months now and NO ONE will answer or return emails but they sure don't have a problem getting a bill out which is dated 2 weeks back. Very unprofessional and ridiculous business.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone

Reviewed on 11/08/2018

Unreliable, Limited and overpried

we had a lot of trouble with disappearing transactions

Pros

Ease of use, Friendly interface and easy to customizr

Cons

System crashes, unreliable and transactions disapear

Dino F.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Harbortouch

I am putting the horrible experience behind and trying to move forward. Lost lots of money. The free trail not free. You will end up getting charge at the end.

Pros

Nothing
There is nothing good about Harbortouch, from the sales people to the Tech, and system has many issues.

Cons

Functionality, not accurate
Orders won’t print always in kitchen or bar. Not charging right amount. Double prints. Many other issues.

Angie S.

Reviewed on 25/04/2015

Not so in love.....

Our system has been in place for 24 months. It has gone down on a Friday night and left me hanging until 3am = loss of sales. The pre authorization process has left me holding over $1400 in uncollected credit card transactions = loss of profits. They fail to inform us of industry changes or HT changes that will affect us adversely. The original programing was HORRIBLE and I was required to learn how to fix it without ANY printed support materials. I took 3 months to reprogram BEFORE it could be put to use. = loss of time to focus on what I DO as an expert. The company has improved the product over the last 24 mo. but the improves are put in place with no education to the consumer. AND NO - there is NO integration to quickbooks..... I have been asking how to do this since we put it in place and no one knows the answers. I am smarter than I was day 1 - now I know what I need and am searching for a replacement system. (4 industry competitors bought the same software - we are all looking to replace. We are a bar grill setting.)

Sheri S.

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Great Program

Pros

Very user friendly. Drop down menus are very clear and easy to use

Cons

Setting the system up is very time consuming. You need someone that is very computer literate. No one sets it up for you and you spend a lot of time on the phone with customer service. If you have the patience, its worth it once its set up

Response from Harbortouch

Sheri, we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your Harbortouch POS system! If there is anything we can do to improve your customer experience, please let us know by reaching out to us via our Facebook page (@Harbortouch). We will be more than happy to help!

Replied 05/12/2018
D. M.

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Terrible from the beginning. Lying salesman. Incompetent programmers. Terrible customer...

Pros

The only thing I appreciated about this system is that it was not on an iPad. Other then that, I have nothing good to say.

Cons

We were supposed to have a 30 day trial period. I even have an email from the salesman confirming that. However they are still trying to charge us an early termination fee. Absolutely terrible company!

Wendy M.

Reviewed on 03/07/2020

72 hours takes on a whole new meaning with them

They have a basic reporting system. Very inefficient for any type of inventory control. Their customer service was okay - they have been fortunate to hire good people but their terms and contracts are deceptive and not industry standard.

Pros

It was easy to install and the customer service reps I dealt with over the years were mostly all helpful and friendly

Cons

As we grew, this system no longer met our needs. As per the contract, I called on the day I was told to call to cancel the commitment. That was 7 days ago and I still have not received the neccessary paperwork. I was initially I would receive them in 72 hours. When I called to inquire where the documents were, they said it was 72 "BUSINESS HOURS". In other words, 9 DAYS!!. and they are continuing to charge me in the interim.
I am still waiting for my documents. They don't have fine print.. it is miniscule, so buyer BEWARE! I have terminated other merchant accounts before but by far they have been the least transparent and the most difficult to deal with

Mark S.

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

Terrible experience

Not good at all. Especially changing terms of agreement, system constantly wipes out inventory we enter and than we have to reenter than wipes out again. Very aggravating.

Pros

The beginning it is great sales pitch convenient for having POS system and service at monthly rate rather than upfront cost.

Customer service avail 24/7 but limited in their ability to help (depending on who you reach).

Cons

-POs system could've been purchased much less than what they charge monthly
- They changed terms of contract a few months after committing to 3 yr deal..which triples cost of ending service early
- My slow months with little sells they charge me more
- countless problems with inventory end of POS, constantly wopes out inventory I enter and re-enter
- I feel they prey on start up businesses like myself. Lock you in, make changes to their agreement, raise prices, limited capabilities for a growing business.

Response from Harbortouch

Mark, we are disheartened to hear of your experience with Harbortouch and sincerely apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding that may have come from our end. We would like an opportunity to make this right for you. We were able to locate your account in our database. Someone from our management staff will review your account and reach our to you ASAP to discuss potential resolutions.

Replied 05/03/2019
Catherine F.

Reviewed on 02/09/2020

Do not use this company

Pros

I have use Harbor touch for over 20 years. I have had good service. Due to covid-19 I have had to closed my business. I have tried to close my account with Harbortouch since April. I have been given nothing but the run around and I have been charge 75.00 per month since April for zero transactions on my account. This is not acceptable.
Catherine

Cons

Do not due business with this company. They have very dishonest business practices.

Response from Harbortouch

Hello Catherine, we first want to sincerely apologize for the troubles you have experienced with closing your account. Our records indicate that someone from our team is working to resolve this issue. In the meantime, please email [email protected] if you need any further assistance, and someone will respond as soon as possible.

Replied 15/09/2020
Myline D.

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

All Around Best POS System and Customer Service

Every time I call the customer service line, they are always so helpful. The POS never fails us and always keeps up with our volume.

Pros

I love how easy and user friendly. Everything is self explanatory but if you have a question their customer service is always so helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

I wish the receipt paper wasn't so long. going through double the amount with the new card/chip reader.

Response from Harbortouch

Myline, we are happy to hear of your positive experience with Harbortouch! If there is ever anything we can do to improve your merchant experience, please feel free to reach out to us via [email protected] We will be more than happy to assist!

Replied 21/12/2018