About ActiveCollab

ActiveCollab is a project management solution for creative professionals. It offers cloud-based subscription plans or a self-hosting license. Projects are split into tasks and subtasks. Tasks can be filtered by the due date,...

4.2

Browse ActiveCollab Reviews

Sinoun
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Great, but a lot of improvements can be made.

Overall, I like ActiveCollab, but I want to so bad love it more. There is a lot of potential with AC and room for improvement, and I really hope they listen to people's suggestions and needs! Either way, I do highly recommend ActiveCollab, especially if you're a web designer like me who manages hundreds of sites.

Pros

Before I decided to go with ActiveCollab a few years ago, I researched and tried all the project management softwares I could find. I ended up going with ActiveCollab for a number of reasons.

One, their interface is simple, practical, and easy on the eye. I found other project management softwares trying to hard and it essentially complicated simple things. Also, I loved how my projects can be displayed and searched. I know this sounds trivial, but when you manage hundreds of projects (websites), I need an interface that works for me. Their interface works perfectly for someone with my needs. I constantly have to go back and forth on so many notes for projects and ActiveCollab has made it user-friendly for me to do this.

Second, ActiveCollab had awesome customer service when I had any issues or questions. This was a big plus because I then knew I was in good hands.

Third, they had some add-ons other softwares didn't have so it was nice to have features I wanted to use all in one place, like time tracking and invoicing.

Fourth, it was reasonably priced.

Cons

While I went with ActiveCollab, I am still frustrated with some of their features:

One, I use notes A LOT. Their notes interface design looks like something from the 90's.

Two, while they have the invoicing option available, it's sub-par. There are a lot of things they can improve with their invoicing. I wish I could use it, but it's just very limited. An example of a limitation is that you can't even enter or send an invoice without "inviting" the client to join ActiveCollab. I tried testing an invoice by putting an email manually because they claimed you could, but nothing gets sent, unless I "invite" someone into my account. This is silly. Another issue I have with the invoicing is that it shows "Active Collab" as the sender and you do NOT have the option to change this. Kinda stupid.

Three, you only have a measly 3 ways to categorize or filter projects: Client, Category, and Label. This can be very limiting depending on what you're doing.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Self hosted or hosted, an excellent team tool

We have a global team that work on projects together, ActiveCollab keeps us progressing them.
We also use it for collaboration, requests and idea sharing.

Pros

We tried many alternatives, but the simplicity and the ability to self host won us over.
Task lists, Kanban Style boards, Time tracking, Notifying and Assigning all work well.

Cons

I feel the file sharing (or at least referencing a file you have already uploaded) could be simpler. Apart from that we're really happy.

Trello, Basecamp and Asana

Asana

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCollab

Primarily the ability to self host, and have a large team accessing without paying by user per month.
Mari-Nella

Reviewed on 07/09/2021

It is a beautiful app but not that useful

It was nice in the beginning but I just soon realised I needed something with easier to use features and no hidden costs. Onces a app like this becomes too complicated to navigate or customise - you will not use it as you need to daily because of that hassle.

Pros

It is beautifully designed so initially it seemed easier to use and navigate.
It had a client portal and I could track my jobs and invoice/do estimates all from one place.

Cons

It has hidden fees. Everywhere it advertises itself as only 7.50 a month. - But using the MAIN FEATURES OF WHY I WANTED THIS APP is extra, like invoicing, time tracking and using the client portal. This was not made clear initially. The client service is terrible. I would ask questions but there response was really terrible english language - not what I would expect from an international app that everyone should be able to understand. Especially a client service person called Darla. Terrible and rude manners and unhelpful.!

Pluto LMS, monday.com and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCollab

I wanted a app that I could use to track my projects, my daily tasks, and has a timer. Plus I can send out cost estimates and invoices from and my clients can log into to track and make note of project progress and timeline.

Todoist and Asana

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCollab

Activecollab seems to be the cheapest option where I could managment my projects, finances and clients from one place.

Response from Active Collab

We appreciate your honest feedback, and we are sorry to hear you had this experience with ActiveCollab.
As for the pricing, additional features such as Invoicing, Time Estimates, Workload, Availability, etc., are listed in the GePaid bundle section, which is charged additionally and is not a part of the basic paid plan. You can check out our pricing on the official site here: https://activecollab.com/pricing

Replied 15/09/2021

Top ActiveCollab Alternatives

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Simple and extensive

It was very good to us during 6 years.

Pros

Web used Active Collab during several years in our servers. The database structure is very simple and allow us to create dashboards with user data.

Cons

Lack of features like kanban and of user interface improvements during updates

Redmine, Jira and Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCollab

Jira was so complicated and hard do mantain. I'm talking about 2009

Redmine, Jira and Basecamp

Price and simples maintenance
Malcolm

Reviewed on 09/03/2022

Not Just Project Management! Superior Time Tracking and Reporting for Clients Too!

Pros

Time tracking. It's wonderful. We are able to track our time down to the specific task within projects. We can also label each project by client and bill clients based on the time we've specifically tracked for each task and project. All of this tracking also allows for reporting to our clients - down to being able to let them know how much time was spent on each task. Customer service is also amazing. One of our team members has made suggestions for new/alternate features/revised functionality, and things were updated fairly quickly! So good. Thank you!

Cons

I'd love to see the organization of the projects in a different way. Organized instead by client on the main page. The main page is otherwise less organized than I need it to be.

Bappaditya

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

Best Project and task management software for SMEs

Simple UI, even a stupid person may understand after simple guidance

Pros

I have tried multiple task management software for our company, But anyhow I was not satisfied with other product because of no option to manage workload or time and invoice calculation or somehow workflow is difficult for non technical user to use.
Activ Collab has the most simple UI and Design. Only 1 or 2 days training will be sufficient for any users to understand it.
Workload segment is really simple and most important functionality it have.
And the support team is really great.

Most importantly - it have self hosted options which is utmost priority for us for data security and privacy and also we can reduce cost for our users.

Cons

Android app needs improvement. It doesn't comes anywhere near to desktop web version.

ProofHub

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCollab

Selfhosted options not available in Proofhub, Data security and privacy is a big concern for us. Design of Activ Collab is much more simple.
Ross

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Great Project Management Software

It organizes my life every day.

Pros

Solid options for organization and streamlining processes that even clients can be taught to use. As a creative agency selling our time it's important to communicate quickly and efficiently with our clients. A big part of that happens at the beginning of every project when they fill out a creative brief. We've used ActiveCollab to set up standard brief templates so AC asks all the questions and they go down the list and fill it out. The time tracker works great and is a painless way to keep track of time. Email notifications are great, especially being able to respond to comments VIA email really speeds things up. Support staff is great. Always available and helpful.

Cons

The invoicing functionality is great but is missing major sorting and display capabilities. For example, if I wanted to show each time entry with its note about what that entry was for organized by project, I cannot do that. My wife has also complained about the App not having a lot of functionality, but I have not used it much personally. I also think the 'Notes' 'Files' and 'Discussions' tabs are kind of random. Haven't found a good place for those in our workflows and they're confusing for clients. I realize it's a big thing to ask, but I'd also like to see some way of incorporating something like Slack into Active Collab, so we can move away from Skype completely.

Khothatso
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

ActiveCollab is a very Comprehensive Tool.

Pros

ActiveCollab ensures that I meet my deadlines and deliver quality work always. I can manage my work and collaborate with my team effectively and hassle-free. Its interface and design offers simplicity and helps me manage everything on one platform from tracking tasks, file sharing to planning on my calendar. I am really impressed with it and it is really helpful in terms of communication. I can recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I found it difficult to integrate it my calendar when I first started using but so far I'm pleased with it.

Alexander
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 24/09/2022

Excellent Project management, All-in-one solution

Pros

It helps me get my tasks done in no time. The software is really hassle free, so there's never any obstacles when using it. Another great thing about ActiveCollab is that the features are very diverse and the ability to self host really adds to the convenience.

Cons

The invoicing module is far too limited. Apart from that, I'm really happy.

Reviewed on 10/08/2022

We finally found a solution that fully suits our team for task management.

We use AC for all our task management and time tracking.

Pros

The wide possibilities of the AC and the fact that the App originally comes from Serbia :) European apps are of high quality!

Cons

We have no problem with the application. It suits all our needs.

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Great Option for my Creative Business

ActiveCollab keeps us organized and on task. It's a great snapshot of our client work at any given point. We have many moving parts, and ActiveCollab allows us to really stay on target with our goals and on task with our clients.

Pros

I own and operate a company that specializes in creative strategy and marketing/PR services and this is a good fit for us. I spent many months and went through quite a few trials researching a software that had as many features combined that we were looking for. We settled on ActiveCollab and we're very happy with them. It's a great option without the price tag and disorganization the later versions that Basecamp brings. I like the customization features as well as the billable categories for tracking and reports. We work with contractors in our business and we like the ability to assign tasks and hide back office items from the client. Their customer service has been very responsive and helpful throughout our set up and we're overall very happy with the product and functionality for our needs. Overall good UX / UI.

Cons

We're finding the reports options are a little bit limited, however it hasn't been a huge issue. We're getting most of the data we need. We really wish we could assign tasks to multiple people, but that seems to be a common theme among these software options. I don't understand why as we have many tasks that are worked on by multiple people. This carries over into the time tracking app. If you aren't assigned a task, it won't show up in the time tracking app for you to track against. However the work around is you can add a time report in the desktop version after the fact to any task regardless of who it assigned to. The budget feature per project is nice, however, we wish we could break it down further by task list. Their great customer service has passed this along to the management and dev team for consideration so fingers crossed it will be coming in an update at some point.

Susan

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

Constantly Improving and Helpful Support

The team is immediate to help, and pleasant to deal with. Also, truly they release updates like monthly, the product is always getting better which is AWESOME.

Pros

This software includes all of the features of the leading brands and more in most cases. I compared ActiveCollab to every system out there and tried demos and trials of each as well. It combines robust options with ease of use, and is more affordable than most other options. We can use kan-ban, calendar or list views, and can organize almost everything to our own preference. They also are continuously upgrading the system and adding features. I also like that they have a roadmap on their website so you know what they will be working on next. Top quality product and service.

Cons

We used to be able to change the colors and design options but now we are limited to one set of colors and 4 or 5 different background images. I know it is probably only the designers who care, but as a design company, it drives me crazy. It's not ugly, per se, and it is definitely not hard to read or use, but it is not how I would like it to look, so, it's my least favorite thing about it.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Keeps getting better

Pros

Active Collab is efficient, friendly, and structured just right for our team's work. The reporting, activity stream, project, task, and subtask organization are all well-calibrated for daily use to organize work and to report on projects.

Cons

I wish AC integrated with Jira. Our development unit uses Jira, but the complexity means it's a no-go for our unit's daily use. The lack of integration means that sometimes members of our team have to ping-pong between both products, or fail to understand what's happening there. A preview of a Jira ticket in AC would be totally sufficient.

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Beautiful design meets functionality

All in all, I am happy with ActiveCollab and glad to have discovered it. The support is ultra quick to respond via live chat and very friendly and helpful.

Pros

The very first thing I would like to highlight is ActiveCollab's great, minimalist design. It is one of the most beautiful UI I have ever used. Everything is clearly and logically laid out and it doesn't take many clicks to get to the desired item.
The project management is also simply beautiful, so you don't lose track of everything. Tags and statuses can be customized and the integrated calendar provides an overview of upcoming tasks including deadlines. Task lists and to-dos can be added to each project and sorted by priority. The time tracking is also a nice feature, so you don't have to rely on another program.

Cons

Currently, I still find creating customers a bit too cumbersome. I first have to navigate to the "Contacts" item and create the respective company before I can assign a project. I would like to be able to add a project directly from the list of the corresponding company/contact without having to switch back and forth in the menu. An integration with HubSpot would also make work easier if contacts are constantly synchronized, because with HubSpot I always have all contacts automatically.

Response from Active Collab

Thank you for your feedback! With the current design of the app, you can add people invited to your account directly to the project. If you need to assign a company a project, you would need to first have a company created in the People section and users added to the company. As for the integration, you can use Zapier to link ActiveCollab and HubSpot. Fore more detailed instructions please feel free to contact our support teams at [email protected]

Replied 16/07/2021
Tony

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Great task management application

Pros

Activecollab are great, we were previously using 3 different Basecamp accounts for our sister companies. Basecamp was becoming a nightmare, it's ugly and the support is bad. We frequently have projects running over as an example, usually as we are waiting on information so we need to manually update every task deadline (Slow and painful) Activecollab allows selecting the project and bulk updating the deadline on the tasks, or in a list view one by one which is quick and easy.

We opted for the self hosted version and use an amazon AWS Elastic Search Service for searching. this is so much cheaper than what Basecamp was costing and so much more user friendly. Anyone big plus factor is, we were able to customise the software a bit (Against their guidelines) to give it some branding for our company by including an additional CSS file, we have to add this after every update but it's worth it.

Cons

Lack of built in customisation
Email sending is limited in regards to daily reports etc
Requires Elastic Search which is on another server/service, whilst not a huge deal it would have been nice to have a local native search and a high performance option using Elastic Search.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Active Collab is helpful in keeping everyone on the same page and up to date on tasks

Overall, I really like ActiveCollab as a project management tool. We have been able to onboard folks to it quickly and again, I like to have one place that I can go and see all my active projects and current tasks. You are also able to see past projects and tasks.

Pros

I like that I can go one place and see all my tasks for the projects I am a part of. It is easy to tag people and the software is pretty intuitive. It allows many people to be part of the big picture and stay up to date on the progress of projects. It also cuts down on the number of emails I need to send because I can follow up on items within the program and tag people.

Cons

The customer support often leaves something to be desired. When issues arise it is not usually a quick fix and when Active Collab is down, our project management comes to a halt because this is the key to our success. The everyday support for quick answers is fine, but when major issues arise the solutions are not always quick.

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

OK for task & project management

It is an average tool that will get the job done for anyone that needs basic task and project management.

Pros

This tool is intuitive to use and had a pretty easy ramp-up period. Projects can be organized easily and tasks are easy to create and assign out. The comment function works well for tracking task updates and notes.

Cons

Does not have a task workflow built into it, and is not great if you have more advanced project tracking needs. The time tracking also needs improvement.

Response from Active Collab

Appreciate you sharing the feedback with us! We would love to hear more about the suggestions for improving the time tracking and workflow on tasks, you can reach out to our support at [email protected] or share your suggestions on this page: https://activecollab.com/help/suggest-a-feature

Replied 13/07/2021
Emma
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 14/02/2018

ActiveCollab is great for keeping in touch with colleagues around the world - makes it fast...

Ease and speed of use, ability to tag co-workers, review discussions easily and keep track of tasks.

Pros

I love the fact that it's linked to my email account, so if there is a new post I know about it quickly! It's also great that I can reply to threads directly from my email, that feature is so helpful.

I like that the threads within ActiveCollab are easy to keep track of, so no more wading through emails trying to find a reference to something!

The interface is quick and easy to use, and it's great being able to tag co-workers in threads to grab their attention.

Cons

There isn't much to be honest, but I suppose I would like it if the software took me directly to recent activity, as when there are a lot of projects sometimes I find it hard to navigate my way to the thread I'm looking for. But that's a minor quibble!

Other than that, I really enjoy using the software.

Tracie
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 08/07/2018

The flexibility of ActiveCollab makes this an all round fantastic business tool

ActiveCollab has increased my productivity, my organisation and decreased the sheer volume of clutter that used to be on my desk

Pros

The ability to view information a variety of ways enables each project to be completed according to need.
The flexibility of reports
The fantastic customer service you can tell they put the customer first and genuinley care about you getting the most from the software
The best thing about ActiveCollab however, is the ability to handle general admin tasks along side projects, something very few project managers allow for

Cons

The UI the software really needs a little colour, I know this is a little thing but I also know it is important to some people.
Although the android app works well, I have a personal preference for seeing my task lists on a homescreen widget not having to access through an icon

Robert

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

We're extremely heavy users. Our team of 25 live in ActiveCollab as a creative mandate. It...

Healthier and happier team... creativity up due to managers and admins kept at bay. Because they feel like they can see everything that's happening with long term and short term projects, a freedom for creatives to be creative has been a very welcomed change. We're faster at what we do and quality has gone way up. Efficiency is becoming our norm.

Pros

MOST: The desktop version. Structurally and organizationally sound. Streamlines workflow and allows multiple leads to see the workload and run reports on their various departments. Really helps with tracking estimated time for the individual and their part in the project. Communication is up and the stress of the communication is way way down. Creatives have more freedom and administrators and managers feel like they have the control they need. Love the Command+K shortcut we found today. We're still learning how to customize it to our team. It has made dealing with 60 national brands much easier and has put an end to the grade school feeling of walking up to the gigantic whiteboard to move color blocks around.

Cons

Notifications - We believe if a Project is set up and has multiple tasks that run linearly, we should be able to connect them and have a notification sent to the next person when the person before them has completed their task - An automated "passing of the baton" type of thing.

Tim
  • Industry: Animation

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Great Help for Project Management

Overall I am having a positive experience with Active Collab and have been using it for over 2 years and plan to continue to utilise the software moving foward.

Pros

Active Collab is a very easy tool to use that allows for the safe and secure sharing of materials between remote stakeholders. The tool provides a great forum for online discussions and file sharing, enabling our company to work seamlessly with clients all around the world.

Cons

Recently I have come across some bugs with the uploading of files which has been frustrating when trying to share deadline senstive files with remote clients.

Stuart
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

ActiveCollab is worth it for us.

It does what we need for the most part, at a reasonable price.

Pros

ActiveCollab is pretty straight forward for our needs of project management.

Cons

We like being able to create templates for projects, however, there is no ability to copy a template and adjust it to be a different template. Every template needs to be made from scratch, and there's not an easy way to even copy and paste things from other templates. A lot of our templates are similar but have variations. We've contacted support multiple times and they like our idea, but they haven't done anything about it in about two years of asking.

Tamara
  • Industry: Maritime

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Easy in use and very practical. One of the best PM-tools i've ever worked with.

I find it very easy to work with. I have already adviced people to use it, because I really like to work with it. It's also not expensive, which I find a very important asset.

Pros

It allows you to make different projects and within the projects itself you have tons of options. Also, you can make tasks and subtasks and assign them to someone, which I find very usefull, certainly when working with a lot of people. The billing-tool is also very easy. I've been working with ActiveCollab for a while now, and it's by far one of the best project management tools I have used.

Luc-Philippe

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

ActiveCollab

When we were looking for a tool to help us manage our small business, many tools were complicated or over priced for just what we needed. ActiveCollab was perfect in price and functionality.

Pros

It allows my team to collaborate easy and get work done with.

Cons

I would like to control some of the notification features more. For example, I'd like to disable/modify when the Daily report is sent out and it would be great if there's an option where members of a project that are subscribers can get a notification of an update and not all the details.

Dwight
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

Could of been great

It's run's our agency and we want scheduling integrated but, it's not being supported.

Pros

New version is clean and nice, posting old data from hosted versions is simple. Almost hit's it out of the park fopr use in any ad agency.

Cons

It's no longer supported. We looked to invest a bit of $ to move from a self-hosted to their cloud for AC3 and the support response was crickets. They have a scheduler but, it is not for hourly limits, jsut due dates. If you are trying to schedule against hour constraints you'll need to look elsewhere.